Fucking Bizarre Games

What obscure and strange games are worth playing? Preferably in English, shorter than ten hours, and easily to download and emulate/run.
fun optional

Other urls found in this thread:

legendsworld.net/adventure/game/15153
youtube.com/channel/UChYXq-Z-mQycjOnuWY2r-MA
zchr.org/off.html
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JdGfFcg40JH0QvbjyR1PtRTpnv6FYtLfgM385FIzMTQ/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Haven't actually tried out anything in the OP. I do know that Garage is unfortunately untranslated, though

The Void by Ice Pick Lodge. If the economy fucks you hard just cheat.

Crypt Worlds, OP. I've only played an hour of it so far and I can safely say it's the most absurd game I've ever played in my life.

Monster Party is my goto weird game though it's probably not as surreal as most of the examples in this thread.

Body Harvest for the N64

Fucking awesome game actually. It goes completely off the rails after the first few levels, but it's one of my favorites of all time, that no one seems to have heard of.

Oh, i've tried playing this too but i have no idea what the fuck to do

Is time for part 3 now?

Oh hell yeah, let's do it

What's strange about Guardians of the Hood?

Yea, the gameplay might be a bit medicore but the story itself is delightfully bonkers.

There's also Realms of the Haunting, which Scrott Ross covered extensively. Makin' a bong for the gods is part of a puzzle.

have u herd of this obscure game called cave story? i heard its a good game

shold i play it??

How about slowpoke.jpg and user punches your clock?

So you're telling me that cover ISN'T an edit of Gman striking a pose in Garry's Mod?

Yes. Haven't you seen the first two threads? The guy was used as mascot for them. see>>11962691

I know. I thought it was a picture of Gman with the Face Poser used on him and then photo-shopped to make his hair red. I never paid much attention to the last threads but I assumed it was some old Source mod or something.

The resemblance is uncanny.

This was the pack-in title for the Atari Jaguar, what a strange collection of early 3D games that console had. Pretty amusing to play nowadays for their sheer strangeness.

WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO FLY

This is an absolutely obscure horror adventure game released only on Japan for the PC

Heer's a relatively unknown and fun game.

Much on the vein of Osamu Sato's work, this is a surreal adventure game about a cacti man on a western setting and his trip.
You can download it here legendsworld.net/adventure/game/15153

Does anybody recall the name of this one japanese horror point & click game?

I recall that it took place in a cave, and you traveled around on railroad tracks inside of the cave. I believe that at one point it took place within a laboratory inside the cave, and that it ended with you travelling out of it.
It was eerie as fuck, I remember watching a non-commentated playthrough of it on youtube a while back. The most striking thing about it was the sense of isolation it managed to give off.

This is the weirdest game i've ever seen, pretty fucking weird.

I take that back, it was Garage Bad Dream Adventure. Polite sage

Most shit made by Kanoguti is pretty cool. I shared some of his stuff on share threads. Although that's kind of pointless since he puts his stuff out for free.

Funposting aside, I've been following a sizable 'clique' (if you will) of indie devs that just crank out abstract games, to the level of degree that absolutely none of those old "#altgames" people that VICE tried prop up as "punk games" would come close to.

current list (forever WIP):

i could write a 1,000 word blog post all about this, but that'd just open it up for some shitty Red Bull Video Game Academy or Polygon viral murketing to blow it all up

I follow him on YT and i still wait for the day he replies to me, it will make life worth it.

You forgot the Crypt Words chick, she is working on the sequel and is planning to put it on Steam.

tbh i actually am kinda interested in that CryptWorlds sequel

also there was Astrojone (former SaltW/Square1 owners), but those guys make more "conventional" indie games and have also been inactive for some time anyways

The man's music is godly. I found him out a year ago and I still don't know what he's about? Is he just a musician that likes to make programs as a hobby?

Oh, whatever

Also i want to point out that ever since i originally posted this video here (i made two or three threads about this game already) it seems to have gained certain popularity and people are even making YT playliats about weird games and adding it to them. Goes to show that even when it doesn't show up on Google this site still attracts outsiders.

These things only serve for reddit fags to repost them on that shitty wikia. If a game is discussed too much by too many then it stops being obscure.

The fuck is that tweet supposed to mean? Also I love Saint's videos, he's one of the only people on Youtube who actively looks for obscure games.

Deserves to burn in hell.

in a risk of 'demistifying' the magic, hes a japanese neet(?) with schizophrenia

another legder dev I left is HORSES MUSIC-DOGS, though he does music more than games (his music is basically more Jake Clover-type Noise/IDM wank imo), until embed related which is a pretty neat game

identity of that one guy aside, I have no close feeling how to feel of obscure games becoming shite Vinesauce/Tumblr/4/v/ memes
best case scenario, all the streamers and/or viewers ignore and let them slide, but I find something like that to be extremely unlikely

I suppose it's a better fate than being commodified by larger publishers, I guess?

more of his esoteric Nunavut and/or Greenland laffs
some video titles are occasionally in something like Inuktitut or some other non-latin language

That just makes him cooler. Seems like a person whose mind I want to dig into.

Never heard of it but Shiggy Miyamoto makes me think it's Twitchbait.

Neat!

WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO BE AN ASSHOLE

If you like bizarre, Saint makes videos of games that don't have a video on youtube yet.
He played the shittiest of gamemaker games, yes, most of it is shit, but you'll find some bizarre stuff sometimes.
youtube.com/channel/UChYXq-Z-mQycjOnuWY2r-MA

Are you implying Kimberly Kubus's games are shit? They're masterpieces.

Much obliged, famalan

have you niggers heard of this game? ZPC, it was a shitty Windows game on the shitty Marathon 2 engine with art by Aidan "Brute" Hughes who is mostly famous for doing the album art for KMFDM. I bought it when it was brand new after hearing about it from a KMFDM.net blog post (before blogs were called "blogs") and hated it so much I destroyed the disc in a fit of autismal rage

OFF is a breddy gud bizarre game

I wouldn't exactly call them art, they remind me of little kid's drawings.

any news of Mortis making the sequel?
has there been any news of Mortis making anything since off? his last post on his blog was back in 2014 and was pretty obscure.
is he dead?

this song was the only reason why I was interested in playing the game

i just saw this be posted in a halfchan thread a while back

zchr.org/off.html is the url for the game.

The dev is working on a sequel.

Looks cool, but I'm gonna miss the PS1-esque aesthetic and the NPCs being represented by clip art .

Isn't Kimberly Kubus legit schizophrenic?

Pretty sure he was. He also did a lot of drugs and never brushed his teeth.

Okage Shadow King.

Clearly I haven't been shilling this game hard enough. Anybody who's played it would probably get why I mention it often. It's worth trying at the very least.

Basically it's nothing exceptionally weird but it's absolutely in the unusual territory. I primarily mention it because the gameplay is simple and the soundtrack sells the game hard. If you absolutely don't care about the gameplay (which makes you a faggot) you can always listen to the OST. Vidya needs more sampling in it.

wtf

Shiggy-Shaggy
Also the area in question is a parody of nintendo with a bunch of nerds at computers

Chameleon Twist is a strange game.
Not as fucking crazy as some of the suggestions ITT, but it's still weird.
I also remember it being fun as shit, but I haven't played it in like ten years.

Maybe you like men.

I've got a couple more for the list.
Point and click adventure set at a bar in space. You're a detective looking for an evil shape-shifting alien, and you try to identify him by both questioning the folks at the bar and mind-melding with some of them, at which point the game becomes about playing as a different alien species and solving problems their way.

A character action game of all things, about playing as an angel and battling lost souls.

Point and click about exploring a fucked up amusement park. Also has an exclusive soundtrack by The Residents.

Part 4, actually.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JdGfFcg40JH0QvbjyR1PtRTpnv6FYtLfgM385FIzMTQ/edit#gid=0

Vidiot.

This game is crazy, I remember it

Thats a fun "sandbox"

Oh, here's another one. Under The Skin is about aliens who disguise themselves as humans in order to play pranks on other humans.

How much of this is an actual game and not just another walking simulator a-la Museum of Weird things or something?

Exploding Lips, did that game ever actually come out beyond the demo version? I think the closest you'll get to something playable now though is the Doom mod Mayhem Mansion, which is based on it.

I played that and recommend it on occasions if people want some obscure RPG they've never heard of before. My physical copy is a little over worn so I may buy a new one for myself when I can. I just wish MC ended up with Rosaria if you pushed it hard enough, all the jokes about her massive hips turned me on.

Star Wars The Old Republic or most MMO's these days
Seriously, play the game, it's like something from The Twilight Zone in regards to how players react and behave. Literally a MMO that shuns as much interaction with players as possible. Each person playing the game ignores the presence of other players, each of them self contained within their own little worlds who appear to nothing but use the auction house all day. There are good chunks of the game that are ghost towns yet in the rare time you do get a conversation going the players are insistent that the game is not dead as if in a severe state of denial. There are literally people paying $15 a month to sit around doing nothing but collect in game currency in their own personal spaces.

Where the fuck is the last gold bug?

Let's check that place…And the chart is not there. Looks like the plebbitfags either simply don't know about the wiki because they never seen cuckchan in their lifes, fled or are not interested in weird ass vidya.

Awww shit nigga! Do you guys need the template?

He uses Tumblr now and takes comissions.

I asked the chart-user to take a look at it.
But sure, go for it mang.

It's more like an abstract mystery game.

yfw you realize japanese were making walking simulators before most of today gamers were even born

Here it is. Original Chart user understood the empty boxes as suggestion for boxart placement and not as place where screenshots of bedlam go. Worked out pretty swell if you ask me.

I never played it but ace of seafood looks incredibly bizarre.

you are not my nigga
and it's pretty hard to do a proper chart with MS paint and differently sized covers

This game was weird, young me and my brothers were not ready for it, but we all remember it.
and our dragons getting killed because we were to stupid to figure that shit out
I emulated it recently.
That sound track was pretty groovy too.
Its kinda a shame because there really isn't much to the game besides the fighting and what now, a game like monster rancher has way more to do.

Not really obscure but still it's going to feel very weird in most chapters

Just finished Midnight Station
It was pretty enjoyable, but it does require a lot of attention to progress.
I really dug it.

I heard about it and played it a little bit. Level design in Marathon 2-engine games was almost never that good, and the constantly repeating textures by Aidan Hughes didn't do much to help. Gunplay is still good though, just like Marathon 2. Overall I think it isn't that bad and the premise and graphics are pretty cool.

You take that back cunt.

I love pepsi so much I even bought a fucking shirt with a pepsi logo.

Use a real Graphics program like GIMP, Paint.net or PS.

I mean it's not obscure, but we're talking about bizarre games

Strange, could've sworn I added it in the first thread. Oh well, it's in there now.
You could've added it yourself, y'know. The google doc is open to everyone.

Cool beans, I didn't know anyone could edit that docs, but thanks for adding it in.

Elona
More you play weirder it gets.

TODAY, I WILL REMIND THEM

Added.
I remember GameSack talking about this game a couple of times. They splooge over games that do something unique with the graphics and the city chase stage really impressed them if I recall correctly.

I hated when the normalfags caught wind of it but luckily it never caught on. I just remember playing this as a teen when I rented vidya back when 3.75 would give you 4 days of vidya time. As a 15 year old the boss where you have to change the element of the soup by throwing enemies in the cooking soup was pretty fucking rad.

Oh, I remember that game. I think I'd have enjoyed it more if the the gameplay was more strategic and if my PS2 didn't sound like a jet engine. I did like the characters and the atmosphere, though. I should get back to it some time.

Get on my level

I played Flower, Sun, and Rain a couple months ago.
The entire experience felt like a fever dream. Not necessarily a fun game to play, but fucking bizarre.

I 100%ed that game, I can confirm it's pretty fucking absurd but fun in it's own way.
Not that's what I'm talking about.

You have experienced it correctly

FSR is part 2 of the Shoot the Past series, of which Killer 7 is part 3
part 1, The Silver Case used to be completely unavailable in English but can now be gotten through gog

One day.

Fez lacks certain qualities that would make it a game
like fail states
or consequences
or content
or not being made by Phil Fish

and if you're going to include it based on the camera mechanics, you first have to include Crush, Super Paper Mario, and Sky Islands (which was made in 3 weeks just before the release of Fez and has actual gameplay)

Ever since the first thread I've always included it in the corner of my two charts only to piss people off. I couldn't care less about Blowfish, I just like messing with you guys.

The world is full of bizzarre things and coincidences.

Ok, listen. I've always wanted to try out Pathologic but when I found out it will take some 12 in game days and dozens of hours it offput me pretty fucking hard. Tell me is it worth it to spend this much time on this quirky title? IS plot or mechanics that good?

As I listened to this song, a time portal opened up beneath me and sucked me back into the year 1998. Don't ask how I'm still able to post here.

UGHH THICKER

Cubivore.

Mhm. Would you get serious though? We don't want to add shit that doesn't have anything to do with weird games. Fez isn't that bad, it's just not bizarre enough.

cicada marionette you're a fucking communist

Check out the first game: Neo Aquarium - The King of Crustaceans.

bernband

u just got memed on kiddo

The game was built like one of those wack a mole types but with shit tons of button to hit stuff on the screen, you literally tore bosses apart when you beat them.

Also the girl you rescue is called Randy.

I've had my eye on eastern mind for a while. Any thoughts from someone who's played it?

Why so serious, user?
It's just a stupid chart.

What about The Neverhood? This game has always spooked the fuck out of me.

Why so smug? You didn't school me or anything. Just trying to keep the few nice things we have pure, is all.

that makes no sense

Okay, kike. Reported.

Shit made no sense for hours.

Good list, needs The Neverhood to make it complete.

Which part of "let's not add games that are too conventional to a chart of weird games" doesn't make sense?

Oh shit, I have this game and never played it. Better get on that shit.

that's not what you said

I've just run into this game on Nicoblog.
Baroque for PSX.
Gameplay looks like a first person dungeon crawler with some weird ass imagery and overall brown and drab environments. I'd like to know if anybody else has played this game and can tell me more about it. Google tells me there's remakes on PS2 and Wii, but can see 3rd person perspective on the screenshots.
Again, I'd like to know more about this game before I put it down on the list.

Oh shit, I'm retarded. I'm 4ea3f6 just with a different ID. I was posting from work.

I hear a lot about this game. The community is pretty divided between PS2 and Wii versions.

I've played the PS2 version.

It's your stand J-Roguelike romp gameplay wise. Doesn't really do anything different from other games in the genre.

I guess you could call it bizarre though.

you have some very almost impressive digits there, my friend.

Cubivore is a pretty good game, but it's ruined by shit progression, stupid design decisions, and awful camera control. By the first two, I mean that it's retarded that it essentially just makes you play the game over and over again until you get enough mutations for the game to let you continue, and stupid shit like the "sleeping", which is completely unnecessary.

It's still a fun game, but I'll never replay it because that shit is so annoying.

let me link to your betters, user:

Let me just say, as a speedrunner for this game, that the level design really only tolerable up to the end of the sewer levels. Chi punches are horribly broken to the point where you can fly across the map with the right movements.

Everything by this circle is weird as fuck, even the Tingle game.

Fuck Soup Jew. Worst boss fight ever.

Pretty interesting time, but don't expect to get far without a walkthrough.

DOSBOX Win3.1's sound is scratchy and awful, I'd recommend a VM running Win95 or Win98.

I thought it was pretty fun in an absolutely batshit insane way.

I didn't think it was that hard, but there is one part that turned out to be impossible to find in the English version. Somebody asks you who the Eyeball of Dreaming belongs to, and the answer is Tou-Gyou.