Linux

How far did gaming on Linux go in the past couple of years? Is it a viable alternative to gaming on Windows?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kek, no.

Just buy an AMD graphics card and do a PCI passthrough you nigger. I think in the latest version of Fedora they made it a one click thing but I haven't tried it myself.

Define viable.

Not yet. It's worth keeping an eye on, but it's not worth 100% removing Windows.

what a waste

It depends on what you want to play. WINE works just fine out of the box for nearly every non-DX11/12 game and there's plenty of native ports too.

I just bought Shitman 2016 when it was ported and it's pretty fun, but even without those AAA ports I will be content with what I already play for a long time:

Some other good native ports that don't necessarily have as much replay value:

And these probably shouldn't be considered games but I liked them anyways:
>Danganronpa 1/2 (how the fuck did this get a ganoo slash linux port?)

I would say yes. It works great with all the games I want to play.

Will it work on Mint?

Pretty much anything that says Ubuntu is supported will work on any other distro. It just takes more effort sometimes. If it's Debian or Ubuntu derived, it will usually work out of the box.

DotA 2 doesn't have many bugs.

Those are debian based or whatever so it's the same thing with different default crud.

this. i fell for it once. its more viable than when i used it but still not there yet

It is if you play good (old) games.

Linux is shit for games but let's not pretend Windows (especially 10) isn't only marginally less shit for games

BSD man, Linux is more convenient to install I guess.

I don't understand why that autist wouldn't want to learn something so easy and useful.

You do know it mainly runs off OpenGL and SDL? It wouldn't take much of an effort to port. Although it's still a fucking mystery.

Pick one.

Linux vidya is good enough for gaming in general, but there are still a few games that don't play nicely. It's a compromise, and depending on the games you want to play it's either easy or impossible. Try a Linux distro out anyway, because knowing how to use one on a basic level is a good skill.
Gentoo is a vidya though. It's got challenge, different stages and lots of autism.

Nah, not unless you don't give a shit about modern vidya or AAA games and you mostly emulate or play open source games.
To add insult to injury most AAA games for linux require Steam (DRM) so you're going full circle on videogames vs freedom.
Personally when XBOX dies i want Microsoft to release modified windows for games so i can dual boot that with some GNU/Linux distro.
But now that wayland is eventually coming and none of my favorite niche/retro WMs will be ported over i don't think i will ever return to linux, fuck this moving landscape shit.

Literally the "racist" of internet communities.

Depends. If you want to play all the latest triple ayy garbage, then it's not a viable alternative. Personally, I've been using Linux exclusively since 2013.

You keep telling yourself that.

This. Anything worth playing runs on Linux.

Very old games work okay (Sim Tower) with Wine, but I'm having more issues with modern stuff that is not native (I remember someone posting a video of Doom 4 under Linux, I but didn't try.) Otherwise, it's great for emulation (I mostly play PS1 games lately).

I would not discourage you (or encourage you for that matter) from using Linux, but if you have the choice either dual boot, try it via some Live CD, or install it on an older machine and see how it goes for you.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux

If you can deal with not having all the focus-tested AAA garbage, then yes

back to 2011 you go

/thread, fully jumped off when Valve announced their Steam client port back in 2012

that is fucking simultaneously impressive and disappointing

Linux is viable for a huge amount of titles. A lot of games I've tried actually perform better, though some have performed worse; it's uncommon but it happens. Some games just don't run at all, which is unfortunate…

I dual boot. There are Windows exclusive games I still want to play, but also I need to use it often for some contracts. Also Linux hates the fuck out of my USB headset so I have to use this ancient piece of shit to get on voice chat, and sometimes I just can't be fucked to deal with that. Working on getting better headphones/mic/DAC but until then I mostly stick to playing single-player shit on Linux.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS – more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff – including the software I wrote using GCC – and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

Barely viable.

HITMAN is on discount right now, is it worth the purchase? What about optimization? Does it run good on relative toasters?

Or should I kill myself for even considering buying DRM

Here's your (you)

friendly reminder stallman hires people to install his own OS for him

and that he visits websites by having the page fucking emailed to him
what a weirdo

Say what you will, but plaid flannel is pretty comfy during the winter.

If you have a CPU that can do IOMMU you can do PCIe passthrough to a Windows virtual machine using KVM + QEMU. Though it helps to have 2 GPUs if you run it like that.

Every good game worth playing has a Linux client with exception of a few complex games here and there that the devs didn't find it profitable to do.

Windows is a botnet shit OS. Once you get GNU you never go back. apt-get is god tier compared to the Winshit way of getting programs and shit.

Just install Linux Mint its Ubuntu based so most stuff should just work fine. Its the distro I like most especially for casual users or winblows people.

Better yet install a real OS like FreeBSD or if you have to be a hipster faggot at least run Slackware.

If you think PC gaming is viable (it's not) then you might as well hop on to the atari jaguar of the x86: linux.

hey, at least you can play doom.

I tried that years ago. FreeBSD is a real bitch atleast back then. I couldn't even get a GUI to work. Ofc its not really meant for that stuff I guess, The only time i hear of it is when people talk about networking equipment.

Because cucksoles sure are viable

depends, you actually get games for one

Ironically, gaming without DRM is a lot easier on Windows.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
I'm currently running Win7 in a VM as described in that article. Takes a lot of fiddling to set up, but it works perfectly.

I get about 40FPS on minimum settings with pic related but I didn't expect higher given how big and detailed it is. Still looks pretty alright at minimum settings too.

Everything is shit for games, some things are just less shit than others.

wew

How so? Denuvo doesn't work on Linux so any port of a Denuvo game like the one in OP had it removed on Linux.

friendly reminder stallman eats his own toe jam.

smh tbh imo fam

Of course that doesn't even include all the games that work just fine in WINE.

Gee, four whole games, three of which can be emulated, one of which isn't released

wew

dude what the FUCK

Name three games I didn't which are "worthwhile"

protip: you can't

You mean games that are universally better than their console counterparts because you can play them at higher resolutions?
And what are these two dozen games you speak of? I will list every single console game from the [current gen] that seems to be worth playing:
And all of the Wii-U games there will soon be emulated on Linux (already on Windows) so effectively the only console exclusives will be Gravity Rush 2, a 30 FPS action game, and a remaster of an old vanillaware game.

Console gaming is a meme

RimWorld

I win

Idk why you fucking retards keep making these threads when:

You might just say it's shitposting and bait, but honestly, with the way that this place has gone I find that highly unlikely. I mean for fucks sake, someone was making huge essays earlier on how any stealth game that doesn't hold your fucking hand with a mini-map telling you where all the enemies are makes it a bad game. Also Linux will never be viable because of 2 reasons.

Plus, the only people here who will back anything are the fucking weebs, who back retarded shit like Yandre-dev there are still people waiting for him to come back. The rest of Holla Forums is too chicken shit to do anything. You should have realized this when the this shitholes #1 way to fix the industry is equivalent to the facebook "Like my post to cure world cancer" aka "I'll buy it if I like it". Even fucking /agdg/ is doomed because everyone on there just wants to make little demo games minus a small minority of the thread.

Autism is a hell of a thing.

There's a pretty big bug that makes the game unplayable. It's called 7.00

Do you even play videogames?

consoletards everyone

also

Also why the fuck are you replying to someone who has been playing games their entire life, but still can't figure out their console is a fucking PC with a lock and their favorite company logo slapped on. That dude probably is one of the facebook idiots Holla Forums recruited.

I haven't heard of this one, I'll check it out.
and yeah I should stop replying.

Because pirated copies of Linux games are less common.

Only check it out it micro-management and squad tactics are your thing.

Oh hey, you were in the Deus Ex thread too?

It's improved a lot but until the DirectX cycle can be broken it will never be entirely hassle-free.

Zach's made four better games

You're a real bitch if you had problems with FreeBSD…

Yeah m8. I rarely browse threads anymore so that was the last really bad example I remember. I might just start going spam happy with the ID filter.

Sage for offtopic

which is totally a windows emulator
now you are playing with power

>>>Holla Forums

was this game pirated on leenucks?

There's no Denuvo on the Linux version

There's still shitman 2016 in the linux version.

It's worked fine for me, but there's still a lot of games that only work on Windows so you'll probably want to dualboot. It's way better for everything besides vidya though. I mostly emulate and play older games so I rarely use my Windows disk. I don't even have one right now, because I formatted it for something else. And when I say disk, I mean disk and not partition. Windows tends to shit itself if you touch the MBR or the partition it's installed on, so it's generally easier to use seperate hard drives for Windows and Linux.

Spacechem was a lot better.

it's really not that bad

"Someone shat in my soup, but it's just a lump so i'll eat it anyway"

just play video games on PS4, desu

But user
the ps4 is a pc

It's a good game if you turn off all the shit like quest markers, nearly as good as Blood Money and the maps are slightly bigger too. Its only major problem was Denuvo.

Arent they literally selling that game piecemeal?

quite a lot. valve has pushed the platform and continues to do so. also with vulkan being out i imagine developers will choose this over DX12 since it is on every platform (ios, android, linux, os x, windows, etc) it is also a major improvement over opengl which makes developing for linux a bit less annoying.

for the most part, yeah. more an more games are being developed for linux, including AAA (even though most are shit), and there are over 2k games on steam alone. this doesnt include GOG and other sites (like itch.io) that have linux games.

t. linux gamer

They did but you don't have to buy the maps separately (and they finished it unless they want to do an expansion pack or something).

geez man at least try to pretend to be a 1337 h4x0r if you are going to use the freeware version of macOS.
(checked)
why not all three?

you are fucking retarded. freeware is a proprietary application that is gratis. linux is FOSS. not to mention linux is more akin to minix, and unix-like, rather than os x (unix)

Well, you can play MineTest and Super TuxCart. That's a fucking top-notch game selection for those autistic enough to use Linux for 100% of their tasks,

MacOS is freeware, Apple doesn't charge you to install the operating system (though they do make it difficult). The difference isn't in the price but that Linux is non-proprietary and open source. You're right that it's odd to use a FOSS operating system and pay for programs that are not, but I don't use linux because muh freedoms but rather because it's just a lot more convenient than winblows/macOS once you get used to it, not to mention being less bloated. And by convenient I don't mean easy to learn for a newcomer, I mean that I do everything on here more efficiently than I would on winblows now that I'm familiar with it.

Beautiful.

I find OS X (which I will never called macOS) and GNU+Linux are actually so much easier to use than Windows.
I say this from a windows machine, but I prefer my Macs over my PCs any time of day.

Just simple things, like the easier keyboard shortcuts, the better Terminal, the fact programs are bundled into a simple .app instead of a folder with a thousand files. They make it so much nicer to use than Windows.

Windows is only good for video games at this point, and that's only if I can't buy it for OS X or Linoox, or if WINE fails to emulate them.

What about when they update to the equivalent of version 11? OSX is only useful in describing the current state of MacOS and not its past and future.

And yeah a lot of people associate macs with retards and assume that it is not for people who are tech literate compared to Windows, but that couldn't be further from the truth. The terminal in OSX isn't quite as fully-featured as the one you'll find in any linux distro but it is miles better than the useless piece of garbage known as the command prompt. Then there's the little things like how Windows needs to be arbitrarily different and special so file directories are all \ instead of /.

And don't even get me started on the versions of Windows past 7, why the fuck do the system settings need to be fullscreen doesn't that violate the entire point of WINDOWS? As in, the genuinely great innovation of programs being run in movable, resizeable, windows? How did michealsoft even consider the idea of throwing that away? It almost makes me believe that MS execs are just fucking around to see what they can get away with in their mega monopoly.

New games are 99% shit, and Linux a great at emulating the good old shit.

mint is a fork of ubuntu in fact

shilling muh guide >>>/poltech/66

This, if you can use passthrough use it.

Mint is an Ubuntu fork, Ubuntu a Debian fork. Should work. I'm running Arch and the games that are natively supported for Ubuntu work all fine for me. You should be fine.

New games don't work well; older games work great; ancient games need some fiddling, but less fiddling than they'd need on Windows.

Hello JewPanda.

miles and miles
nope, more and more I realise that if you're not smart enough to enjoy the benefits linux is a millstone around your neck.

and I almost resent people for trying to nerf and childproof it to get SecuROM and adobe Creative Tax on here.

fuck I'm a stereotype.

It's good for emulation and older Windows games, as simpler windows games pretty much always work with WINE.
If you want to play anything more intensive/modern, then if you don't have a reason to run linux, then no.

Also, while Linux doesn't require you to know coding or some shit, you do need to learn some stuff and how to tweak some things in order to get shit running.
Like, for example I know there's a way to get custom WADs to run on PrBoom+, but I'm too dumb to figure it out. On Windows I know there are WAD autoloaders, not so much on Linux. I either figure this out eventually, or I'm never playing custom WADS on it.

its not
lol

you seem to be missing the joke,

It's super easy. Here's an example:

prboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -file '/home/xy/custom.wad'

You can drag the wad to the terminal to fill in the file path.

I can play E.Y.E. on linux via Wine, so it's fine

Oh man, thanks I gotta try that. That'll probably help.

Nope, still not getting results.
Maybe I'm missing the proper iwad or something?
If I just launch PrBoom with no other stuff, I get the shareware version of Doom.

Does New Vegas run well in WINE?

Search the Wine AppDB, faggot. It has information on pretty much every game under the sun and how to get them running (or if they run at all).

tl;dr you can now do gpu passthrough with a single gpu (integrated intels only atm)

copy the iwads to /usr/share/games/doom/

I'm half-sure there was/is people out there that don't play games on WINE, they just get the settings perfect then move onto the next game, for fun.

Also, love that WINE is getting DX11 support. Now I can emulate Overwatch on my Ubuntu ThinkPad!

I've done this before.

welp

nice

sound on linux is pretty bad, so don't fret

Wine Is Not an Emulator, it's a compatibility layer

The thing is that I can't lie to myself, I won't use it for neither work nor gaymes if I can't even listen to music let alone game sound.

People are taking longer to respond to my bait, god damn.

I once tried Linux and just spend a whole night trying to fix some driver issues. Then i went to bed in 6am in the morning, switched back to Windows and never looked back.

I remember having the same problem.
I was retarded and tried to download the drivers from the manufacturers website and install them manually
I stuck with it though, and now I am as happy as a clam.

How do I convert my music folder from .mp4 into .ogg with ffmpeg?
Also where to find a torrent for hitman?

top kek
Seriously don't do this if you actually want to play video games on linux. AMD openGL drivers are absolute dogshit, even the open source ones and vulkan is a giant meme so you won't even be able to use emulators without performance shitting the bed

2014 called, they want their memes back.

I'll keep shitting on them as long as they remain shit.
Even Dolphin is encountering errors with Vulkan and PCSX2 just depreciated current Ayymd drivers because of how shit they were.
Thats two major emulators gone.

You do know I was talking about doing a GPU passthrough, right? AMD's Linux drivers are irrelevant if they're running on Windows.

Of course, Android is going to replace Windows.

I hate to be the one to break it to you user but the Andromeda merger is not happening, 2017 will not be the year of the Linux desktop.

Well of course. 2013 was the year of the linux desktop, you can't rewrite history.

How is Linux like Minix? Minix is probably closer to macOS than to Linux, since macOS has a half-assed microkerneloid and a BSDish userland.

I used to do gpu passthrough but I never got sound to work. Out of rage I just installed Windows 7 on my pc and have been happy ever since. There were no real advantages to using linux instead of Windows anyway so I don't regret anything.

Do i still need Intel VT-d ( IOMMU) ? Because my processor is a 'K', and it doesn't have it

linunx and video games
u r gay

and bate

Every time I install that fucker, it starts up once and after that complains that it doesn't have a bunch of libs already included in the Steam runtime. Putting those into the game's /lib folder removes the error messages but the fucking game still won't start unless it's reinstalled from scratch. I'll probably just have to play it through Wine or something.

heheheehehehe