Sniper Games Thread

What are some good sniper games ranging from moderately realistic to full autism tier.

Well the games in the pictures you posted sure as fuck don't fit what you want. The Sniper Elites past 1 aren't good, have anything to do with sniping other than that you have a rifle with a scope and they aren't realistic either. Game focused around sniping where the average shot you take is something like 300 meters or under and it's really just you killing tons of people are fully missing the point of what it is to actually be a sniper. They all rely on stupid bullshit wallhacks and shot markers that guide you through the whole thing, and don't try to say "well you can disable them so it's ok" because that's fucking bullshit when the game is made to be played with that shit on and that's why they've not focused development on things like proper sound design and shit that would make not using them possible.

Sniper Elite games and Sniper Ghost Warrior are the only games dedicated to sniping that I can think of and they're both god fucking awful as games and especially as games about sniping. You're better off with something like Arma or Project Reality. In those games sniping is more about recon and taking careful shots rather than slaughtering hundreds at medium range. I'd say even Hitman does sniping better even if the distances aren't long. At least you need to plan, wait for the perfect moment, take an accurate shot and get out which is what it should be. Red Orchestra 2 is not bad about sniping either but it's Tripwire and it's pretty dead. Not to mention it's multiplayer so everyone will go apeshit if you actually snipe and you aren't some 360 no-scoping shithead. There's a forever unfinished game called Spy Party as well that's one-on-one PvP Sniper vs Spy

When the fuck will we have the rendering power to have realistic scopes instead of a FoV decrease with a scope overlay slapped on to it? There are so few games that do proper scopes and I think Red Orchestra 2 is one of the only recent ones I can think of.

Someone needs to make a sniping game that
You don't even need to make it a fully open world and could just cheese it by having some sort of small area where you move to adjust your spot with the target area as a separate, much bigger area. That way you could do some trickery with the geometry where you don't have to account for every angle and can focus on more important things.

Yes, I've been wanting a good sniper game for a looooooong time.

but it's focused on watching a group of people and picking out who is the player and not actually about the skill involved in sniping.

Forgot to finish that sentence for whatever reason.

Arma 3, you can play some King of the Hill matches and just sit at a location and just wait until you spot someone

Is this series any good?

Sniper elite is better.

Fuck no.

The problem with your idea broganoff is that distance shooting, even with a dedicated platform, is a bit of a crap shoot past 500m. At 1000m, by the time you make the calculations for wind, target speed, elevation and other variables things have changed so much that you'd never get a shot in. Even with a sub moa rifle, at 1000m the best you can hope for is a ~5 inch radius at whatever you're aiming at, and that's with a still target using match grade ammo.

The canuck who holds the record for longest shot, the manufacturer of the weapon he used, and even the military themselves said that luck was just as much of a factor. Because at 2500m at .5moa, that shot can move a whole foot from the point of aim. Still would be a good idea.

Even a game with a 500 meter range would be better than Sniper Elite with it's "make elevation hold overs for a shot going from one building across the street to another" BB-gun style rifles.

I had a ton of fun sniping in Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2.

I'm sure you'll be fine with an Arma 2 or 3 mod or something.

Typhoon Rising for multiplayer.

you just fucking reminded me.
OP play America's Army: Rise of a Soldier. Do the Sniper training missions, you wont regret it.

I fail to see your point. What if the shot at >500 meters is a crapshoot? It'll make it many times more satisfying when you hit it. You'd have to wait for the perfect conditions and so on to take it or you could risk getting closer to the target. That's exactly why sniping games need to take focus away from shooting and instead focus on other aspects of sniping as well. We're also talking about a game here so it's not like the game would need to be 100% accurate either with how wind changes over a long distance, how individual bullets and rifles are different but just covering up the distance issue with making the bullet drop faster or making it go 10 meters to side on a 100m distance because LOL WIND is stupid as fuck.

Even if the physics aren't 100% detailed, solving the issue of scale would be a major improvement even if it ment the physics were just a steady drop and a steady drift to the side based on what the wind is like at the target. It'd be better than these pseudo-shooters we have now where you can see what color the enemy's eyes are even without the scope.

Way to hyperbole the shit out the situation. Pacing it like a Hitman game would be enough. Even your average spastic retard that plays games can handle that. If you want sick headshots and noscopes instead of few selected shots after careful consideration then you just don't want a game about sniping, simple as that.

No shit I would pay for a SWAT styled budget shooter where instead of being the doorkickers, you're the guy with the backwards hat on a roof a building away supporting them. Make its 80s, with machismo and one liners and a cheesy story.

In the movies I always wondered by snipers were so shit at hitting protagonists until I learned the sad truth of precision shooting for myself.

That was a pretty cool video

This bothers me the most, why is it that CoD of all things decides to have cool shit like that but virtually every other military shooter dev doesn't think it's a good idea.

They had the budget, and I guess creativity to some extent, to do something that wasn't purely arcade-type shooting in close quarters. There's probably only so much you can do with a relatively realistic shooter that hasn't been done before.
I think most people remember that mission because it was a nice change of pace and had a really good tension curve.

The AA game I mentioned has a sniper training mission where you have to wait 8 in real time hours for a target to show up and you only have one opportunity to get him. And he shows up at random times as well, I heard about 10 hours in is the sweet spot.

meant 48 hours. my 4 button doesn't work anymore.

I think theHunter Call of the Wild might be one of the better games with a sniping focus. It's a hunting game and a "sequel" to theHunter that was a monthtly subsciption game filled with time-limited microtransactions. It just came out and seems to have discarded the microtransaction stuff for a single 30€ purchase model. Obviously it's a hunting game so you won't be shooting people and it comes with it's own hunting quirks like tracking and imitating animal calls. At least the map seems to be big and the render distance is pretty long. I saw some video of a guy shooting at 400 meters. Game seems to have a some bugs with animal AI and such though and also some bad design choices like animal calls being too frequent.

you're joking

That sounds pretty neat. I enjoyed Cabela's big game hunter pro hunts. Is it comparable?

Its the fact that:

-Supressed intermediate caliber rifles are still fairly loud using supersonic ammo
-The use of subsonic ammo makes their trajectories very parabolic and comparitively weak, reducing range
-Even landing a shot on a high value target will make exfil almost impossible unless at far enough distance.

Its what says, having to exaggerate for the sake of "fun" means that the simulation aspect is lessened, meaning that the stakes are lower, making it ultimately even less fun than what you started. The only way to make such an experience truly immersive is to attach a dramatic element to it as in "All Ghillied Up" or similate the unflattering parts of sniping such as:

-Ridiculous vision distance for AI
-Guard posts with binoculars on the lookout
-Weather effects making it easier to detect you

Things that would reward patience and strategy typically associated with the kind of sniping glorified by the exploits of Hathcock, Hayha, Stalingrad soviet snipers, etc.

There's a Golgo 13 arcade game where you've given different missions on shit you have to shoot.

Silent Scope, but I'm sure that's not autism tier enough for you.

No I'm not. The training mission was suppose to teach you about patience which I failed after 6 hours in since my xbox was getting kind of hot.

honorable mention cabelas big game hunter pro hunts

No idea. I only played a few hours of the free version of the original theHunter years ago and I've never played the Cabela's games. From what I know of them theHunter aims for more realism. The game looks fucking gorgeus though. I suggest looking up some videos though the more I look the more I see of these 40m shots though I don't know if that's just people not knowing how to play because the game is new or them not having the better rifles/ammunition because apparently the grind to those is pretty steep.

All you're doing is listing things I'd expect from the game. I don't know what subsonic ammo and suppressors having an effect on trajectory or range has to do with anything here other than it would be an interesting gameplay option to either go loud, have more distance but more likely to get spotted when you take a shot opposed to needing to get closer, possibly running into enemy patrols but having an easier time post shot. You could give the player claymores and other ways to make traps when running away that causes the enemies to come after you slower and you could hide from them somehow to try to loose them or just run if you can. Coming up with ideas for this sort of game seems so easy that it must be some technical reason why we don't have it yet. There should be enough people out there that want to buy a sniper game that rewards patience and such to warrant at least one of them but that's not the case for some reason.

Is there a youtube video of it?

Scripting for AI and having to come up with a real time ballistic calculator and a possible multiplayer mode where the other is a spotter with a regular carbine for support. That takes money and skill. I wish the games industry had a middlecore market for all these niche titles like the 90s did. Fucking jews.

I'm looking at some videos right now. It looks pretty cool, but I don't know about those perks.
Multiplayer is neat as well.

And if you ever feel the need to play a Cabela's game, know that most of them are shit, but the 2014 one is good.

Jesus christ that looks good. Why isn't there a war game with that system?

Yeah it's the shit like perks that make me feel like it's going to be real fucking casual. There's an option is the settings to turn off the actual missions in the game so maybe there's one for perks as well. Could also maybe just not take the perks that are stupid. I haven't seen a list of them so I don't know what they actually are and how much they matter.

Nope, game was only out on the OG Xbox. The only thing you have is old post from people asking how to beat the mission.

After playing a lot of these high action games I am craving something more slower paced and methodical like a proper sniping sim, I bet a lot of people are but publishers are ofcourse not going to explore new territory and stick to safe bets.

Found this video of a guy going over the perks and skills. It's a month old video so dunno how much it's changed since. Only other source for the perks I could find was a wiki for the game that was fully in japanese which I think is really weird.

Because everyone is too squeamish about accurately simulating people on people violence.

When will this shitty trend die ?
The only thing that should limit me in a non-RPG are my skills as a player.

Yeah it's fucking terrible. It's one of the things that's mandatory in games ever since CoD4 made leveling up and watching bars fill popular in FPS games.

I hate it so much.
Nowadays even fucking DooD has it.

I think it's basically a skinner box technique to keep them hooked and give them a false sense of progression in terms of skill because overtime when we play games we learn to get better at them through practice but the modern beta numale cucks refuse to dedicate the time or effort to learn and hence are given "false" progression of skills through upgrades like "more damage", "health regeneration", "slow mo", "faster reload" and other bullshit that give them the illusion that they are skilled when it's actually the game holding their hands..

arma 2 ace mod is about as autistic as it gets and I loved it. I was a shooter in a milsim community for that game. my spotter and I had loads of fun
it's the only game I've played where the wind physics can push the bullet UPWARDS from where you expect it to hit.
I got so good at prediction that I could hit more than 70% of my shots at 1500 meters.

don't get arma 3

Damn user that sounds really fun. I really wanted quiet to be like that in MGSV.

On the first shot though?

Yeah, she ALMOST was, but directing any firepower is just as satisfying as pulling the trigger itself

Well I tried making a thread about it but was deleted almost immediately. Is SE4 worth a purchase or is it garbage? I enjoyed 3 but found it poorly optimized.

I have Sniper Elite 1 and I think it's fucking awful. I'd like to just blame it on lack of experience/funding for the devs rather than just a shit concept because I like the idea of pure sniping games. Are the sequels vastly superior? Like said, I've seen lots of complaints about optimizations. Is there a tier chart for sniping games?

That America's Army level where you had to sit in front of your tv for 20 hours wait for the target to appear

V2 is an alright game but if you're looking for something that resembles actual sniping you probably wont enjoy it.

If you want an autistic simulation with kinda working physics you have to go with ARMA 3 and ACE2, this setup has both working mildot and MOA scopes as well as a ballistic computer that works with some of the weapons and calibers. Furthermore shots over 1km are really fucking hard even with a computed shot, but given its ARMA there are really no such missions unless you make one with your friends. Other than this I am kinda excited for the next ghost warrior title even if it looks terrible to some.

ArmA is really the only game where the ballistics simulation is good enough to be called "simulation".
However, in any scenario a single guy, or even a team of two extremely well trained men, the AI will always be superior. It can spot you from three kilometers away, and will cooperate to hunt you down. The map is so vast, and there are so many different methods of spotting infantry, that a single guy against an army will fail 80% of the time. And since ArmA has always had a focus on platoon/company based gameplay, you will find that two men against a platoon will fail miserably. Ofcourse you could make the enemy all players, but why have 60 faggots standing around in their guard posts looking out for two snipers? Where would be the fun for them? You would have to find a group full of autists and even then there would be infighting about who can be the sniper/spotter next week.

Wait…We got a Holla Forums arma group, don't we?

Why even breathe?

Well I'd imagine you described the Holla Forums group perfectly when you were talking about
so I would stay away from it because I've yet to experience a Holla Forums group that's better than just finding people to play through the game.

Why? I'm genuinely curious. I didn't even know it was coming out so I went and looked at a trailer and some gamepaly and to me it looks absolutely awful by all standards even compared to average AAA trash.
They keep moving more and more away from sniping in these games it seems. I wonder why they don't just actually call it Ghost Warrior.

Sniper Elite is more fun than the shooting gallery sequels.