Are arena shooters dead?

Are arena shooters dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

gametracker.com/search/ut2k4/?sort=3&order=DESC
gametracker.com/search/ut/?sort=3&order=DESC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, anybody that tells you otherwise is part of some garbage media outlet trying to push a narrative.

Nope, UT is a thing afaik and Quake Live still gets players.

Pretty sure Overwatch is alive and well.

Is UT alive aside from UT4 beta? The 2k4 servers seemed pretty dead when I checked a few years ago.

I was talking about UT4 specifically.

gametracker.com/search/ut2k4/?sort=3&order=DESC
gametracker.com/search/ut/?sort=3&order=DESC
Only actual dead one is UT3 and it deserves it completely

Instead of complaining about arena shooters being dead, go play arena shooters, faggot.

Nah. There's a good one that came out recently but mentioning it triggers some anons. I think the genre will stick around.

/thread

It died over 10 years ago. Unlike most faggots on Holla Forums I was there. Got to enjoy the end of it all.

Say Overwatch, nigger. I dare you!

Unreal Tournament was 18 years ago.

yeah, problem is no one really wants them. Everyone says they want them, but when it comes time to actually play them you get

then you see overwatch. then you see tf2. csgo. easy mediocre entertainment and everyone wants in on it. I think it's time to accept nobody fucking wants arena shooters any more. Nobody cares about them. If they cared, they would fucking play them.

No matter how many of them people make to "revive" the genre, they either make mediocre quake clones (xonotic), mediocre, unfinished games (ut4). The genre has no lasting power. Players don't fucking care.

It turns out gamers who actually want to get good at a game are a lot more rare than expected. The majority of people who got good at Quake and UT back in the 90s did it because everyone playing PC games was doing it; now that gamers can sit back and feel good playing Overwatch all day, they do that instead.

They've been dead since 2005. Where the fuck have you been?

Arena shooters died when Half-Life 2, WoW PVP and the cancer console generation emerged. UT2004 was one hell of a send-off though.

They were alive and well for nine years before that, though, so it's had plenty of time in the limelight. I had more than my share of fun during that time, so I don't really mourn it. I've long since moved on.

Thankfully yes. Shit genre deserved to die.

I don't know, are template threads dead?

What about reflex?

That webm is just fucking cancerous. No wonder an attention seeking flagfaggot like you would post it. Filtered.

Toxikk

They're not.
Name a cpma server within the next 10 minutes and I'll 1v1 you fgt

pogo/faggottron still doing this shit huh?

I dunno fam, I think you're the one trying to push a narrative.

thanks doc

It's not dead but it's boring and repetitive.

Your bait is weak.

I don't know what to tell you. They are boring and repetitive, only a true autist can withstand playing Unreal Tournament for years and years. It's like Counter Strike, boring and repetitive.
Look, this one glows and stuff.

it's not 90's arcade-levels of popular, but it's far from dead

Sucks to be such a nigger like you are.

Toxikk was one of the worst arena shooters I've played, absolutely hideous, even after 10 hours I still couldn't tell the weapons from apart from each other and needed to rely on keybindings. Xonotic is at least solid and is dedicated. Holla Forums server is fun once a while. I'm personally not a fan of the "hold space to bunny hop" thing though but I get it. Reflex is probably the best thing on the market right now but its still a long way away from being complete. Runs very well and dedicated community for who is around.

I still think Warsow not getting onto steam is an absolute tragedy, its a beautiful game just has never peaked past 50 players. It should have been pushed on the second greenlight was a thing but the developers never bothered to push through with it.

4 million people bought AOE2 HD on steam, added 2013
2 million people bought AOE3, added 2012
3 million people bought Company of Heroes starting 2007
~800k people bought Sins: Rebellion at a 40$ pricepoint, 200k of which picked up Trinity, both added 2012.
1.5 million bought Empires at War Gold, added 2010.
RTS isn't dead, the interest and audience is not dead. If a company that isn't garbage comes along and presents a take that is new and interesting along with a viable multiplayer module (esp. one that avoids laddering via elo/'rank') then it can and will sell like hotcakes. There are decade old games competing with FFXV, after all.

Yup. Anything that isn't a 5vs5 team game is dead. csgo, overwatch, dota, lol, smite, and etc. Only games that this doesn't affect are games that take no skill and are just for fun such as hearthstone.

Rly pisses me off because I don't want to deal with 4 fgts to fight 5 fgts. I know I can play dead genres and I do, but like you can really feel the difference between playing a game with 1million ppl playing vs 300 people on quakelive.

They aren't dead if you spent most of your life honing your skills to fine a fine razors edge. If you don't fit that description then they might as well be because you will never have fun playing any of the actual good ones against the ones who have.
t. autist who has spent over two decades playing arena shooters

It's all he'll ever do, since he's a one-trick pony.

And getting paid megadosh by Disney to do it. So he doesn't even need to try harder.

The Halo games, while not nearly as active/popular as they were, all still have active communities outside of 2/2V as well.

When did the "overwatch is an arena shooter" meme start?

Quake live is still going strong.

I think Shooters in general are dead. Back then you had a "go-to" shooter, like CS, or TF2, or Quake 3, or UT. Today it just doesn't feel the same, there are no "go-to" shooters, and Overwatch is way too overpriced for what it is, not even TF2 was that expensive on PC when it first came out

Are you joking? Out of 10 most popular games on steam 3 of them are shooters. Out of 4 games you listed, CS(pretty much all games except for maybe CZ) and TF2 are still go-to shooter for many people. I still play CS 1.6's non-steam version, which is still much more alive than most modern games

No it's not. From what I can tell on gametracker it's doing worse than Q3

Yeah okay fammallamma.

Both CSGO and TF2 are horrible caricatures of video games, not shooters.

You misspelled CoD and Overwatch

there is your problem fammallammaf

Same shit

kill yourself my man

So much shooter greatness.

Can you throw me some examples of simulators and squad based strategies like JA2?
RPGs that aren't kickstarter crap are welcome too.

as opposed to the no-trick phoney Holla Forums is ?

I'll be sure to check out those numerous titles you provided, you little cumlord you.

They seem to be gaining more and more popularity. I really hope they gain some popularity again. We have some pretty good contenders out there and people who play shit like CS might transfer over because they got tired of staring at a wall for an hour per game.