Shadowrun

I'm kind of curious about a mission in Hong Kong. some elf tells you to shut down and destroy some research and feeds you a bullshit story about how they're holding his family and whatnot.
Long story short the elf turns out to be a spy(a shitty one who got all his movements tracked by an opposing force) and all they want to do is just destroy the research. Job's a job, whatever. But the game, and my teammates treat it as if I fucked up, they're all saying that I should have killed the elf(I would have done it anyways if there was no money involved) for backstabbing me but I don't get where the backstabbing part came from, a spy's a spy, they didn't hire a security force to off me, only to act as body guards. Sure their motives changed but there's no guaranteeing other clients are also straight forward on their motives, it just kind of feels like a cop-out move to tell me I'm wrong on what logically feels, the most shadow-runny thing to do in the situation. Especially since other dilemmas in other missions seem to be much more meaningful and complex.

Discuss the Shadowrun games. Are there any recommendations for mods, levels, campaigns or tweaks to any of the trilogy? I like the gameplay of Hong Kong(especially the matrix) but I'm not really liking any of my teammates the same way I did in Dragonfall. Especially duncan who seems to act more like a whiny cunt than someone struggling with their morality. Also my rigger seems to be incredibly overpowered.

HK is the worst in the series, story, character, and writing wise (also slightly tainted/pozzed), OP. Not sure if a thespian faggot (fanfic writer tier faggot) or SJW got their hands on it. DMS and DF, you are already a Shadowrunner. HK however, you are one by forced circumstance (and your fixer hold you by the leash), and that pussy whipped faggot Duncan would not shut up. Gobbet is a future tumblrite, Isobel is already half-way there along with being an emoteen. Racter and Gaichu are absolute bros though.

A real damn shame, HK got the solid gameplay done right. The workshop is also dead and the campaign being churned out are 90% cringe-inducing 'support' the Not-Self-Insert-Mary-Sue main character NPC with deviantart portraits to 'set them apart' from the rest. I think replaying Dragonfall once in a while is your best bet for a fix though.

inb4 shitposters and faggots If Holla Forums really can get to it. Maybe we can get some shit done like /tg/ back in the old days. A Holla Forums SR campaign maybe?

The extra story had a pretty good ending with an actually meaningful choice

Yeah I kind of wish I had rolled a decker instead and had the opportunity to pick Racter than Is0bel.

What extra story?

HK got a playable epilogue added in about a year later. You finally get to put the story to its proper end. I will agree with this user here that it is fine. Pretty bittersweet mood in general, and true to SR world and lore. As in when the power that be 'really' want something, you are put to make a hard decision, and someone is going to get fucked hard either way. I really advise you to give it a spin.

There was a kickstarter stretch goal for an extra short campaign that continued the story from the main one, it came out like 6 months after the game did

Also the best kind of character to roll in these games if you want to see everything, considering what you do and what the games let you do, is a mage/decker with high charisma
Kind of sad actually, they put a lot of work into other shit like cyberware, but it's just not worth focusing on over stuff that actually has tons of use outside of combat

Well Humanis is canonically cartoon villian stupid because they are actually controlled by jews.

HK is actually pretty fine. The between-mission hub is much better than the Kreuzbazar in Dragonfall.

I still think original Returns nailed the atmosphere best. Also, the new composer wasn't just quite as good as the one they had in Returns. Luckily they used lot of his stuff in the sequel-expansions as well.

I think HK's hub definitely had more to investigate than the Kreuzbazar. I liked talking to Lucky Strike and that one chick who was hooked on BTLs in Dragonfall, but the robo-doctor, depressed drone salesman and the three guys playing mahjong were all fun to come back to after a mission and see what was happening.
I think the fact that Returns was set in the US made it feel more like Shadowrun, which is typically US-centric.

The three guys playing Mahjong were bugged for me. They were always stuck on that one conversation where one of them tells me to hurry up and the shadows following me are getting closer.

He's not just a spy - he's a not-IRA elf supremacist that pun notwithstanding welched on a deal. And I'll take your rigger with one hand tied behind my cyborgs back.

I hope you'll remember to take your medication next time.

Story, character, writing, and atmosphere wise. Yeah, I still think HK is worse than DMS in those aspects. Companions save for the two bros downstairs are whiny immature bunch, two of which are teenagers, and another one who is a manchild which I am surprised how the hell they are still alive with those attitudes and skills (in Gobbot's case, it was explained that it was Deus Ex Machina, but I think I saw the author's hand above somewhere). I have a hard time believing that Aunty Cheng still have not hired better runners yet. Auntie Cheng is cool though she has you by the neck.

DMS is barebone, yeah. But I think they got the atmosphere right. HK was a missed opportunity. Despite being set in Triadland, I do not feel that it is that much different than Seattle because I think the presentation was weak. The only time I feel that I am actually in HK was the restaurant run.

I geniuenly would have liked to be instead stuck with Carter, Nightjar and Gutshot(even though everyone calls him an asshole and a cold motherfucker, which I thought would have made for another really cool Glory-tier story) instead of Duncan, Gobbet and Isobel.

Is0bel in particular I fucking hate. m-muh memories hurt muh feefees so I had them locked away

Am I the only one who kinda liked gobbet

OH OH and the fact that the Somalian cunt decided to leave behind her parents and family just so she wouldn't feel bad about locking her memories away was even worse, and the fact that she sticks by that decision. At least Glory eventually wanted to atone for it once she opens up to you.

She's fine but I really dislike her compared to Dietrich, both gameplay and story wise.
Poison gas ain't got shit on electro core or Dragonslayer.

HK reminded me a bit of Black Lagoon with the set up leading to your character becoming a runner. Probably the only reason I liked the set up. DMS plot jumped pretty badly from a small scale story into the bullshit with the bugs. The characters in HK really didn't interest me, though.

I'm pretty sure they are trying to create waifu characters and are complete ass at it.

First I don't know whether you played or read any SR material so I'll give you the courtesy and remind you how DMS basically bloobed every SR trope/intro/cliche they could. And they did a shit job at that.

Companion wise I'm not thrilled with the nigress but the ratbitch and derpy: the bro were passable for what they were. A moral compass "lifeline" and the annoying little sister/childhood friend every chink setting/drama/game has. Racter and Roachi are top tier.

Atmosphere is comparable if weaker to Sleeping Dogs, aka a decent westerner interpretation to the HK cinema tropes. Gameplay's not even worth comparing.

Farts and sparks still ain't got no shit on the troll bitch.

I really wonder what "climbing" an troll woman would be like.

Doubt it. The only semi attractive women in HK were Carter who died instantly and Eos who isn't even a character.

This is something we can both agree on. Other than this are pretty much up to tastes so lets stop here.

What said. Doubt it. I had small suspicions they were trying to cater to SJWs, but they are not really the target audience. That is why I think a fanfic writer or a benign SJW got their hands on writing department somehow. Also, this was on kikestarter so maybe some tumblrinas got their feedback in.

I don't know user, it doesn't feel right talking serious shit with someone who can't even appreciate the simple things in life. A vampire waifu for example.

No, user. You started this shit. DMS barely has a character cast to begin with.

Now to be fair, three not drastic things I would've changed in HK if I had a chance are:
Pads your backstory, explains why you don't go full merc from the start and provides for some nice and funny moral conflicts and banter.

Fix them bugs and maybe finally tie some of those loose ends.

If I'm chromed up the wazoo, as in both arms, both legs, most of the guts, most of the head and a integrated exoskeleton I'd expect someone to refer that at least bloody once. More so if I'm running around in riot armor and have a proper AT cannon strapped to my back.

SHIGGY
No thanks, that shit has tons of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. It's like they never play-tested their game.
No way! I know, right?
Also, the level of poz in these games is a joke. Although, for a pirated game, it had some retardedly funny parts, due to the writing being bad, the forced cameos and the writers' personal politics.

Hong Kong gets too much shit, imho. I did like how they fused traditional Chinese elements with the modern setting - especially that one Feng Shui mission was quite hilarious.

As for them being "pozzed" - I think you have that in virtually all dystopian/cyberpunk settings. Whether or not Harebrained Schemes is particularly bad in this remains open for debate

I expected more out of the Feng Shui mission. Although I guess I dislike it because it showed me what kind character Duncan is.

What the hell is that Black Elf's deal anyways? I got the impression he was a big deal in the shadowrun universe but I couldn't find anything on him.

Probably a stupid kikestarter cameo.

Three times in a row? Someone was obsessive.

He was in all three games user
Probably a dev or someone else important
Plus that fucker's practically a fully fledged side character instead of some jerkoff that appears in a random area

From what I can tell there's no character named Aljernon in the PnP lore. In-game, it is implied that he's one of the extremely old elves who have been around for ages and play around with fate.

But really, it's probably just a dev self-insert character.

I still remember Coyote, Paco, the hatebait ugly as fuck orc cop that you can kick him in the balls and get him fired at the end, the bald elf slasher that was the early game red herring, Cherry Bomb, and also Hans Brackhaus aka the dragon Lofwyr. The rest I do not really remember. Like I said, the shit was barebones. This I will agree. But if I really want a SR vidya fix and I got a choice between DMS or HK. I would pick DMS though if I can, I will choose DF without hesitation. The last fight soundtrack that was a old SNES remix was a nice touch though.

Ku Feng is a nice minor character though I have questions about her. I mean, she was an wageslave accountant before she got turned. Then suddenly she got thralls to throw at you, but she is actually scared of combat? Maybe it is the HMHVV at work, but there is something I cannot exactly point a finger at about her.

Go back to Holla Forums and let us talk about video games

Probably a PR guy or a manager of some kind…

sole nigger in the photo: gang sign, slouched, and holding either a beer can or watermelon juice. WE WUZ ELVES AND SHIEET

Could also be your run of the mill dragon in disguise or free spirit(s) or BG2 style insert as per

That's something I can get behind. Tried Antumbra Saga?

Apparently she got drunk on some company party and woke up a vampire a couple of days later, so naturally she did the only reasonable thing and decided to play out her favorite vampire soap opera. I assume the thralls came as she converted/enthralled random fags to serve her.

Honestly, if they had any real talent they'd milk her for a truly memorable waifu party member.

Biggest problem with HK is it came out after Dragonfall. The combat mechanics are better, but the characters just aren't as good, and neither is the story; Dragonfall had things escalate and ratcheted things up-I still get a bit of a chill when I think of the end of watching the videos for the first time.
HK I actually got bored with and left after the first few missions.

Have not tried that one yet. I tried few campaigns, was disappointed, and never look at them since.

What I meant was the fact that one day she was a normal wageslave, then some time and possibly lewds with the director later she is bold enough to enthrall people and use them as disposable tool against her would be hunter. I get it that she did it in self-defence, but she did not react in horror when I was fireballing and shotgunning them when spell is on cooldown? Maybe she has grown more composed or the virus really did a number on her (but iirc, they only induce physical changes for HMHVV-I) VtM style as in human are cow mentality, but it did broke a suspension of disbelief for me.

That's clearly the peace sign user

neat

the second picture seems to display some self-awareness on the writer's part

I should point out that since these games are cyberpunk, e.g. they present a future DYSTOPIA, that it wouldn't be uncommon at all to see things like gays or transracial furfags
As much as you can fault the developers for pushing an agenda, it'd be even stranger if there weren't any homos or blacks at all in a cyberpunk future unless it's some white supremacist future, which none of these games are. The turkroaches in Dragonfall aren't there because the devs want them to be, but because that's really just how Germany is. It's less pushing an ideal than it is accurate. It'd be propaganda if the developers went out of their way to show how great the diversity and tolerance of the future is rather than treating it as a normal part of life. The unfortunate part is that barely anyone has the balls to or simply refuses to also show the negative consequences of a melting pot.

Don't think it was the VP that converted her as she makes repeated claims how she's alone and without any prior guidance on how to vampire. And her particular strain could just as easily be a localized variant with some mary sue elements such as psych changes. For example Gaichu remaining "normal."

Or she's just an ex-secretary that got drunk on power and didn't expect you to mop the floor with her. I believe she even straight up admits to that.

Stay mad

What are your opinions on the music, by the way?
I liked a lot of Hong Kong's music but it didn't feel as heavy and atmospheric as Dead Man Switch's.

I found DMS's music rather forgettable, to be honest. You just don't have memorable tracks like Glory's theme from Dragonfall or Grendel from Hongkong

Tasteless pleb.

iirc, aljernon was in one of the shadowrun novels. Those probably aren't canon, but they do present a good read for the most part.

OC character, to tie the games together. He's also cannon despite not being part of the books and you can take him anywhere you want. He's just the "vague character that appears in times of need" type.

The Orc(Troll?) Shaman merchant at the beginning of DMS on the other hand is much more mysterious.

No it's not, the victory sign (you fucking hipster) is straight up and palm out… lateral/palm in is a gansta thing.

Honestly of all the people I met in the meeting at the end of DMS Half-Dream is probably the least interesting. Harlequin is a neat ass shadowrunner. I'm 80% sure Hans Brackaus doesn't serve the dragon but is actually the dragon. Telestrian is a nice insight into corp life. Half-Dream is just there.

You'd better tell that to the japanese, their sluts have clearly appropriated gang culture

80% sure
You can be 100% sure, Hans Brackhaus is Lofwyr's human form. This is also how Dunkelzahn got assassinated after being elected President because he was in his human form. Although I think that actually ended up being some kind of sacrifice on his part rather than murder.

Wasn't he planning on killing you? I thought I saw something along those lines when you hack the surveillance camera's.

What story? You save his nephew and he gets a leyline buff and that's it. He gets about a paragraph of story total. Even the shitty Eiger gets more character development.

Glory is the only great character in DF.

You mean the character who doesn't adhere to the Bioshit tropes of "just tell them what they want to hear until they love you" character development? She doesn't give a fuck that Monika made you second in command, and doesn't instantly start brown nosing like everyone else, because you actually have to prove yourself instead of relying on "muh special protagonist" bullshit.
Her loyalty run was also way better than the others.

That's exactly what happens you tard. No matter what she's going to end up respecting you and telling you how great a leader you are. There's zero consequence to anything you do with her. Even if you let her torture the Orc.

As opposed to completely fucking up Glory for life and condemning her soul if you make the wrong decisions.

Better than in HK or in DF? Wrong on both accounts by any metric.

Gaichu's mission was really nice, it's probably the first mission I truly enjoyed over anything in DMS or Dragonfall. It's a shame the red samurai didn't put up much of a fight but I really like Gaichu as a character. And for once I didn't need to bring nigger dwarf around. The music was excellent too.
Are there any other modern cyberpunk games anyone can recommend? I'd like to play Satellite Reign but I can never get it to work decently on my toaster so that's out of the picture.

Punk band leader turns dragonslayer shaman. What's not to like?

Actually gathering more information just tells you the security team, is there as a protection detail rather than a killsquad. Otherwise they would have started shooting at you the second the other guys fell.

Gaichu and Racter are fantastic characters.

To each his own I guess.

You obviously aren't the most competent reader. Obviously she ends up respecting you dumbass, but it's not because of the usual bullshit. When she apologises to you, she's not looking for you to say "aww, that's alright! I forgive you." With pretty much every other character it's just blindly agree with whatever they say and tell them they're great over and over.
She was better than the runs in DF.
there's no consequences for "condemning" Glory's soul either, dickhead.

What the hell are you even saying?
Did we even play the same game?
She's a rat shaman, her stereotype is to be a sci-fi hippy, wich makes perfect sense.

She's also pretty much apolitical for the most part, not only that but she flat out says she saved isobel but not her parents because they were beyond help and would only slow them down, she's an extremely pratical person, she tells you her past experiences running with other teams and trough your comments learns to trust your judgment and re-think her reckless approach.

She's one of the most balanced and pratical oriented characters in the entire game and you dismiss her as "future tumblrite"?
Fucking hell, just quit cyberpunk as a genre, it's clearly way out of your hugbox.

Whoop de fucking do, you just pick the mean choices instead of the fluffy ones. The only difference is there's no payoff. You still ride off into the sunset as best friends forever.

The condemnation of her soul IS the consequence you fucking idiot.

You could say that every single dialogue choice with every character in the game is either picking the nice choice or the mean one, but that doesn't accurately represent the game. I enjoyed Eiger because her writing didn't stick to the usual tropes, and when I tried the typical approach when talking to party members I was pleasantly surprised to be rebuffed.
What changes? She doesn't die. She doesn't leave the team. The "consequence" amounts to her getting a different upgrade and that's it.
I don't have any problem with Glory, and I liked her story, but don't act like it's somehow more meaningful and consequential if you pick the "mean choice" over the "fluffy choice."
No matter what options you pick for the loyalty runs they stay with you and still ride off into the sunset with you.

The conversation with her about that near the ending essentially amounts to

nobody knows for sure what the actual consequences for this action actually are

The forest spirit is either cleansed and freed from the binds to Adversary. Or it is outright destroyed and when Glory absorbs it strengthens the tether between Glory and the Adversary. Eventually she would become Harrow.
She does at the end dependent of on your choices. If you choose to cleanse the Forest spirit both it and Glory seek to atone for their past evil deeds. By which, they leave the team to search for Harrow to ensure that he's stopped. The same can't be said for Eiger irregardless of the outcome with her mission. Even after hearing that the people she strove to protect were now enslaved or dead she stays with you.

Did you miss the part where you get the same astral sensations as when you were in Harrow's den? It may only be for magic based characters

It's regardless you mong, irregardless isn't a word.
I see your point about the epilogue, but again that consequence doesn't change anything within the game. it's still just text.
And the people Eiger was initially trying to protect died before the events of the game, that's the reason she turned to shadowrunning in the first place. She succeeded in stopping the Engineer from making an attack in Berlin, and he dies either way during the run. There are no other people to be killed or enslaved because you protect Berlin one way or the other when you deal with the dragon.
You can't get those without being magically inclined, but there's something about getting the "same feeling of dread as when you faced the Feurstelle."

Everything is text.
Yes I know that. The point I was trying to make is that nothing happens with her. She doesn't leave at the end to go fight for them or avenge them. She's exactly the same as when you started the game.
Yes but even when you discover that there was some kind of shadowy organisation pulling strings behind the scenes, the same ones who helped enslave and kill those people she tried to help, she's not even bothered to really want to do something about them.

He's not a used up cult whore? :^)

Bottom line is that it comes down to personal preference since most of their back story is left ambiguous. And I'm actually fine with that.

He's a real human bean, you know?

What did you fags do with the bloodline data in DF?

What ever you say chief.

She avenged them by stopping the Engineer.
If you're talking about the Black Lodge nobody really does anything to try and stop them, and I kind of wish there was more you could do than just telling that one guy to fuck off.
because fuck Aztechnology

I was pretty glad that the girl he liked ended up coming back.

Wouldn't the bigger fuck you be to give it to Shock? I imagine they would just spread the research everywhere.

delete. Job's a job unless the client pulls something.

Doesn't she end up alone and hunted in Hong Kong? I'm guessing not pressing blitz into finding her is non canon, which is a bunch of bullshit.

But the Schock distribute the information they get freely, so theoretically anyone at Aztech could get their hands on the research again.

At one point he mentions that he thinks he's found her, but if you tell him to look into it he ends up fucking up her secret operation, and blows her cover. If you tell him to be patient and leave it alone she succeeds and sends him a message saying she's coming back to him.

Very true. I was thinking of it more along the lines of a nuclear deterrent if everyone had access to the research.
Isn't she working for the Schock?

I don't think that would work for the bloodline research. If I remember right, Aztechnology had created a way to kill people through blood lineages. You could take a close relative of the person you wanted to assassinate and perform the blood ritual to kill them. If that kind of information was spread it would be even worse than just Aztech having it, and since it was probably be undetectable and untraceable there would be almost no way to stop people from using it.

and yes, she is working for them

It's buggy as fuck. The walking NPCs in the hub club freezes everything until they stop moving.

This request still stands.

You want to talk buggy? Fine, let's talk buggy. In DMS you're literally tripping over giant bugs, like play ten minutes and bam, bug encounter! :^) I don't know man, I played both parts around new year and they held up just fine. Saw nothing gamebreaking in any case.

Depending on your definition of modern, you've probably played all of them, unfortunately.
Cyberpunk is criminally neglected

The sad part is that it ultimately doesn't matter, since Aztechnology arguably has access to even more frightening shit, which is probably why Dunkelzahn's will includes the following passage
"To the first party to determine what lies behind the door of room 5B78 of the Aztechnology Pyramid in Tenochtitlán and file a report of their findings on Shadowland, I leave 5 million nuyen or medical care for the remainder of their natural life, whichever seems most appropriate."

2008+ ish.
Maybe as low as 2005 but that's stretching it.
There has to be some good indie games out there, right?

Does any but me find it hilarious that humanis is full of shitskins?

Abandon the expectations, and I can name some.
Then I forgot.

Shit I've actually played most of those besides the VN and the syndicate reboot.
Dare I ask if the latter is any good?

those are some shitty games user and the second one barely qualifies as a 'game'.

How much do you like bloom and bland shooting?

Shits all over the original game, so if you're a fan I strongly urge to play the original instead. Otherwise, passable shooter with good mobility.

Which is why I said ==abandon the expectations==. Cyberpunk is beyond barebones, and CP2077 which is supposed to revitalize the genre looks like it actually will come out in 2077.

Shit man, since you're throwing shit out there Shadow Warrior 2, DEX, Technomancer (2), Binary Domain, Gunpoint, Technobabylon, Nomad Soul, UnderRail and Brigador.

I love it.
And by love it I mean I'd rather play Dirge of Cerberus.
Guess I'm waiting on Ruiner and Cyberpunk 2077 never ever huh?

I find it hilarious how race is somehow the big no-no in the trilogy.
Dragons running governments? No biggie.
A troll being transformed into this soulless, troll sized killing drone with barely any essence? No problem.
Serving the black lodge? Money always baybee
RACISM? HOLD THE PHONE NIGGER

Back up, how's the mobility good? Is it just faster default running speed or does it go deeper?

Neon Chrome is pretty decent for 2-4 hours.

We're all clawing at scraps here.

Refer to above. Unlike most other brown/bloom shooters cursed with COD syndrome, this one has higher runspeed and sliding, and encourages you to utilize them.

Should have broken her a rib or two, slapped her senseless, and raped her in front of the party to assert your dominance.
She wouldn't have objected to it according to her dialogue.

Will check it out, thanks. However, the first search result pointing me to an iTunes Store page is usually an indicator of shite touchscreen trash.

Now, now, I made a conscious effort to post decent scraps.

I don't see the connection between Underrail and cyberpunk but regardless it looks like something I would like to play. Thank you.
Is technomancer as forgettably bland as Bound By Flame was?

Would you have done it as a human, a dwarf, an orc or a troll?
We all know an elf would be on the receiving end of that.

Going up against that much pent up sexual potential is a bad idea. At best you'd end up with a milispec replacement pelvis.

That you did. Here, some desktop material for your trouble.

Pretty sure it was developed with PC in mind first. If you don't like top down shooters, it probably won't be fun at all. If you enjoy top down shooters, you'll be entertained up until you defeat the last boss for the first time.

It's not shadowrun but it's definitely cyberpunk-y and technomancer is comfy despite some junky parts. Now, not sure how objective I'm being but the biggest fault BBF had for me was how they only shipped ~1/3rd of the game.

Standard issue (You)'s suffice.

Maybe a titanium laced spine and some knee hydraulics to go along with it?

Human, because HUMANITY FUCK YEAH and whatnot.

Shadowrun has the magic and technology to make this happen, and luck favors the bold.

It's janky but I liked it
I couldnt get through Bound By Flame, but I did beat Mars War Logs (both endings)

Dunkelzahn mentions Aztechnology a few times in his will, doesn't he? I remember something about capturing blood mages alive and he gave a locked box to an exec from Aztechnology. Has there been anything canon said about what's behind the door? Attacking a AAA megacorp's headquarters is a pretty big deal, but surely there are some experienced runners who are stupid or crazy enough to try it.
Maybe the threat of torture and experimentation if they get captured is enough to dissuade most people.

It's kinda hard to stop them from doing what they want, but anyway Dunkelzahn is the only one I can think of who actually ended up in government.
Pretty much your whole party says that you should put it out of it's misery instead of sending it to the client.
Most runners and regular people wouldn't even know about the Black Lodge, and metahumans are obviously going to be focused on Humanis shitters whenever they show up to cause trouble.

Yeah, there's a few Aztech points in that will

As far as I'm aware, nothing's touched on what goes on behind that door. Basically you're guaranteed to die horribly if you fuck with just about any corp too much, but Aztechnology has bloodmagic and possibly actual Earthdawn Horrors (though Catalyst would never say that outright because of copyright bullshit. They'd get renamed)

The "or medical care" bit is actually potentially the more valuable of the two, assuming you manage to avoid getting bumped off enough times

Nobody in Shadowrun is a good person, but if I had to pick a true "evil faction" it would have to be Aztechnology. If Catalyst still has any decent writers, there's probably going to be a near-apocalypse scenario soon enough

Aztechnology is the go to villain corp over any other corp on the tabletop, and they're basically the outright Black evil bad guy faction in an otherwise cold calculating uncaring dark shade of grey of the corporate world. All the corporations have bad shit behind closed doors with potentially world ending scenarios but ultimately this is Aztechnology's MO so much so that the tabletop strictly forbids Blood Magic they're just that bad.

IIRC it's hinted that Aztechnology is actually trying to find ways to fight off the horrors once and for all and save the world, while everyone else know the Scourge is coming (since it's cyclical and each time worse) but mostly sit on their asses doing nothing.
They try (and succeed on a least one occasion) to bring horrors over (in small number) to experiment on them BEFORE they're able to cross naturally and fuck everything up. They're the ultimate "the end justify the means" type, they don't just do it for teh lulz.

Wasn't that the point of DMS bigger plot that you suddenly got dumped into? You got wrapped up in dealing with a cult that worships the horrors, and stole a weapon that was going to be used to kill them.

Insect spirit aren't horrors, they're like the Yama Kings in HK, it's what comes before the horrors, proof that the barriers between astral world(s) and physical worlds are thinning.

Who's that ejactualtor receprocator?

Fuck, I was really planning to play Majikoi.
How's the porn?

Then what the fuck are they doing if they aren't preparing for the various horrors and instead spending so much R&D money on just the prelude then?

Your last minute ditch to fend off the big horrors doesn't work so god when you are getting insect eggs shoved up your arse.

No idea, not my thing.

True enough. At the very least the bugs seem much more contained after DMS, since their big "trick" is invalidated.

Why don't you play and find out?

I really like this track but it kind of doesn't fit, especially since it cuts out into the club 88 music on the balcony.
What the hell is the deal with Jon Everist's music?

I think this is one of the few actual good WRPG final battle tracks

Because they sort of work the same way, IIRC that's the reason why a big shot like Lowfyr proxy (which is probably just Lowfyr) is present in DMS, the weapon program against the bugs is part of his much larger and longer program against the horrors.
Everyone is in fact preparing, but Aztech is the only one that's throwing the kitchen sink at them. The other are pissed at them because blood magic is extremely powerful and cause magic spikes (which is what they use for their experiment) which may speed up the cycle and bring the horror out more quickly than it should, fucking with the long terms development plans the dragons/immortals beings have been doing.
Also the dragons don't really give a fuck of saving the world this time. Dragons have been around since the second age, Shadowrun takes place in the sixth age, they've survived two Scourge already, they know how to do it. As far anyone know they might want their efforts to bear fruit in the 8th age, and are perfectly fine with 99.9% of the population dying in basically hell on earth again, as long as they can keep enough minions safe to jump-start the 7th age once the Scourge naturally recede.

If that's really what is going on, Aztech is suddenly not the bad guys. It's a near total reverse.

Instances like this really annoy me.

Eh, it's a simple literary tool; gives your imagination room to, well, imagine and fill in the blanks. Demands passive participation from the reader.

I get that, I just think that the description wasn't necessary. It would be more effective in my opinion if she just wrote 'Thanks (…) this isn't a gore board'. I don't know, maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

That's up to personal taste. For instance, I agree with you in that it's tasteless - describing the image to this level of detail seems just gratuitous to me, on the level of '4chan, the dark depths of the internet where ANONYMOUS dwell'. But, a lot of 'people' would disagree with you and me and say - 'NO, I can't form the picture in my head without the right description, that would be like Skyler in Breaking Bad not knowing what MILF was.' I'm actually quoting someone, but you get the gist.

Yeah, but we're talking about random shitposting on 128chan. I mean some retardation and aspergers is to be expected. :^)

This one from Returns is pretty good for a final battle theme too. At 1:04 it reminded me of Shin Megami Tensei on super nintendo. Well no wonders it has that vibes, since it's an arrangement from Shadowrun on SNES.

Best motherfucking bros.

I hated how Duncan was a passive-agressive piece of shit, especially on the post-game campaign where he leaves you forever if you follow Auntie Cheng's orders and don't get your old life back.
Come the fuck on, you defeated a motherfucking YAMA KING, you wouldn't be able to live a normal life even if you wanted to.
It seems to me that Racter and Gaichu are true and professional runners, adapted to that style of life, and Is0bel, Gobbet and Duncan were forced to live like that.

He is a faggot, it comes with territory.

It's not even that, the girls are wanabee runners, Duncan is a literal mall ninja, they would have been dead 10 times without the protag. While Racter and Gaichu literally know how to survive on their own in this harsh world.
You basically get the feeling the three that whine at you constantly should have long been killed by the lifestyle. And they resent you for saving them…

Saying literally doesn't magically make it so. A mad genius that's likely to end up a straight up Dr. Doom or a neosamurai super SWAT ghoul are hardly your average tier runners.

Now, Duncan spent the last couple of years training and serving as a Lone Star enforcer officer and not chilling in some jail, somewhere. The guy's a bonafide merc and a certified weapons specialist who supposedly and repeatedly declined team leader promotion over feeling he's not up to the responsibility and a likely boner for Carter. Further dialogue would suggest how the PC relied on him doing the heavy lifting even back in the day.

The girls while so-so have more veterancy than the PC as well. Gobbet ran and outlived a couple of crews by now and the midget is a trained cyberterrorist that grew up in the worst slum in the region.

That's only Duncan, which is explainable considering he's the only one that had a life to begin with. Gobbet doesn't give a shit to the point of using her birthname and giving you a high-five when you suggest/do wild/stupid shit and the beardless wonder is generally apathic. She does make a point to give an awkward thanks in that true Holla Forumsirgin sense now and then.

There should have been an option to just give Duncan his life back. Many of my characters enjoyed running the shadows and would have stayed doing it if given the chance.

If you have to say "all things aside," he's probably not THAT much of a bro.

He did a job that just happened to include Raymond Black. Putting that aside he seems like a genuine cool guy.
My guess is you're just jealous he gets to climb a beautiful* femtroll every night. :^)

thats a peace sign and a can of ginger ale. you can clearly tell its canada dry.

The DMS plot is the prelude to Chicago getting infested by bug spirits, nuked, and turning into a post-apoc-tier shithole

Look up The Universal Brotherhood for more prelude. Read Bug City for the aftermath

Horrors are the reason why people thought magic, elves etc were just legends until they popped back up again.Horrors are seemingly unavoidable-end-of-the-world tier.

I should probably read more Earthdawn fluff, come to think of it

Gobbet surviving was pure Deus Ex Machina. I will give her credits for being resourceful from time to time, but the reason she survived was mainly the writer. She is too impulsive and careless to survive in SR verse I think, but the excuse was the Rat being at work. Rat's (not just totem, but also actual rats) specialty is survival at the price of screwing up everything else so that is natural I guess. Isobel will not survive without Gobbet, period. She cannot make contacts or even put up a social effort to save her own life. Favors and contacts. Both are lifeline of the runner which she do not have because she cannot even get her own shit together. Kindly Cheng was ironically kind enough to let those two live . . . on her tight leash.

Duncan complains too much. For a Lone Star arms specialist that underwent training and service, should not he kept his head cool instead of being a passive aggressive faggot he is? I would understand being angsy, getting angry and all that. But complaining non-stop? He should be born with a vagina instead.

Maybe others like them or see things in them that I missed. But for me, I do not really like them.

Isn't that one of the options? You stay with Cheng and Duncan returns to Seattle? And then later on the Triads expand and you get to Seattle, but never hear from Duncan again.
I got so fucking annoyed that he never seemed to change. I mean, after all the runs we did and defeating a Yama King he still just wants to go home and be a shit-tier Lone Star faggot instead of continuing to do actual meaningful things.

You're right about Gobbet. I think she even says at point that the only reason she survived the things that killed the other crews was because Rat helped her to find a way out and then survive. I think Isobel was just kept around because she was a competent decker and scared of Cheng, so she's easy to keep in line and exploit for the Triad's gain.

The best character interaction was with the Red Pole guy who you have to go intimidate. Going from being angry to begrudging respect and then genuine respect by the end of the game.

Nah, you burn the warehouse down and Duncan either leaves with the agent or by himself. He can't get his SIN restored without you and that's a package deal.

how long does it take for a shaman to get access to actual summons and how much can you focus on having one buffed bound spirit?

I want to build a stand user but I have literally never played Shadowrun

You mean on vidya or tabletop? I got 5e rulebook back at home.

For vidya you can get one-use items very early on which allow you to summon an elemental, and these increase in power and price as you level up. You can also summon them from locations in the environment. I don't think you can summon them from thin air (but it's been a while since I played, so I could be misremembering). But you get upgrades which give you a totem fetish automatically as part of your gear when you go to do a mission, and these get better as you level up, so you don't need to spend money in order to be able to summon them.
You can use buff spells on your spirit, but I don't think there's a lot you can do to buff it to a high degree. Shamans are mostly focused on summoning elemental walls, buffing and healing teammates and summoning spirits to take the heat off your team/deal some damage.

As for tabletop I'd need to look through my rulebook.

Shadowrun 2 is good. Best part of the game is triggering IGN.

Are you purposefully posting shit wallpapers?

That's a rare occurrence in SRR? I mean, it's not like there's a literal Deus Ex Machina in HK or anything. :^) And to be fair Duncan does keep his cool when under fire, but yeah, he'd make one hell of a PMS Avenger.

Try practical. The pygmy offers an alternative to Whampoa services and Gobbet is a survivor - plain and simple. Also, pet runners are always a convenience.

Blame the setting but the stronger the connection the harder it is to tell where the shaman begins and where a totem stops. Say Dietrich, he also "flies on autopilot" until you build up his confidence.

Within minutes, and the strength of the summon is directly tied to the summoners skill. First you should pick a totem regardless of whether you spec into conjuring since a nice AoE heal or a passive can only get in the way if you're a full on mage. And even then it's useful if less flexible.

As for actual spirits in Dragonfall they're amazing. In Hong Kong they're still effective but the free spirits you summon from battlefield nodes are generally timed and much weaker than the fetish kind you got in DF. You can still find/use/buy spirit fetishes

And then say it's only about muh writing. But I suppose that a story about a slav growing up with the gopniks doesn't relate as much as muh groids from the hood.

Seriously though, why not make a Sekondi campaign instead? They can even go full apartheid is evil muh noble savages shtick and all in a context that makes sense and doesn't feel shoehorned.

This is an ironic comic isn't it?

Holla Forums SRR campaign when? Also.

The irony is rich.

It would probably end up a /volk/ campaign, anyway.

The game just got a lot better.

It could work.

Too happy.

I'd make that more of a background. The PC should be a neet possibly preserved in criostasis or such in search of vidya, some antique console or a combination of such. finally getting a switch, xbone or FO4/skyrim instead of the promised article REEE potential Maybe make it a cliched raise X number of nuyen to save gym whatever. Any waifu or otherwise serious shit should be optional, occasionally mocked and defiantly not the main driving force. Exception to that could be if some semen demon runner ruins peace ((vidya)) for PC and he ends up tangled in her affairs

A happy merchant should be involved, either as initially at least you're my greatest ally or a straight up reason why PC doesn't have said property/item.

The four biggest problems are: not going full cringe with memes, crossing the line and going stormfag, having adequate lewd, violent or otherwise edgy content and finally getting a writerfag.

Specifically SR:Returns but I'd be interested in the P&P answer too.

In SR:R. Depending which one, you need to summon spirits with fetishes. They do not stay long before you lose control of it so your 'stand/tamer' build is not really viable.

On tabletop, fluff-wise. You can call upon a spirit for a short service like to assist you with casting rituals or aid you in one combat. Spirits do not like being bound though you can bind it for a more long-term or even permanent service, though it will take a huge amount of in-game time and effort depending on the spirit's strength. They are likely to screw you up or find a way to get you for it.

The build are hardcoded to the lore. If you still want a tamer build, go for Rigger. Both for SRR and PnP. Bonus point for being a Rigger on PnP, you are not limited to drones. You can also 'rig' into vehicles, doors, buildings, etc. Essentially possessing the machines themselves.

In all seriousness, I could provide. I am familiar with Shadowrun Editor, but I am too lazy to writefag and make scenes outta this shit.

Can we all agree Null Sheen is the best track in the trilogy?

Nope.

It was a joke about future CNN headlines you autist

This bread still alive? Anyway I will say again. Anyone autustic enough to writefag this shit or any Holla Forums campaign shit, and I will turn it into a campaign if I can summon my inner autist.

You just have to be subtle about the writing. Instead of simsenses, an obvious analogue to video games, make it about another industry.
Also, don't forget to write the shadowboard posts.

I'm curious, which of you let Apex go and which of you purged it?

Not going to let the fucker who fried my friend, hijack her personality and has the gall to flaunt it live another second. And I do not even like Monica that much. She is pretty much a tumblr libtard wetdream vision of anarchist-queen borderline mary-sue (at least she is gullible enough to get herself fried).

Robots are okay, they at least contribute and partially lived like we are in their chrome body so they are in some capability understand us to a certain extent. Jury are still out though, depending on each individuals. But I will at least give them a benefit of doubt.

AIs however, are not. Especially ones with grandiose ambitions and sparkling dream like a newborn libtard with the brutality and means to do it to boot. It has to die. Gassed, burned, and purged.

I find Shadowrun returns to be a mix of red and blue pilled but aside from that I do like the simplicity of the game and it's turn based combat. The class system and (((karma))) system is okay. I like how the game does punish you for being a dumb ass if you try to jack of all trade it and offers plenty of dialog options for skill checks. I found that the summoning was fucking retarded and it could of been a lot better on the shaman side of things.

A lot of things need reworking solely because intelligence and charisma are the most wildly used skills outside of combat

Freed it. If it owes me a favor down the line - great, and if not at least I'm not a decker. :^)

How so? Were you expecting a permanent companion or something?

I let it go but refused to hand over control to Feuerschwinge and the dragon-killing thing. Gibson taught me not to trust AIs and I treat them the same as dragons, they're smarter than most people and take a very long-view of things. In hindsight I would rather have purged it.

It would have been cool if there was some kind of interaction for the Spirit/Totem you choose to follow, but that would be a lot of extra writing and content to come up with, especially given how many there are and their different attitudes.

They should've used Glory's backstory for the PC. Whatever you do there's the devil whispering; promising power for each act of cruelty, depravity or greed. Progressing from vague benefactors and dreams to slowly pushing you into twisting your morals, your team and your Kiesz. Imagine going into that Artzka mission and them going oh shit based on your aura.

And yes you could fight him but you plan to stop bargaining with him once you fulfill your revenge, right? it also gives a different context to the hell hound and the lodge

I like the way you think but I think that's too high level for Harebrained Schemes. I'm not sure if this was just me but I felt that a lot of the times the world felt "fake". Like it exists solely to be shaped by the player and it never evolves past that.

Not just you, it felt like it was going for the same kind of thing Bioware games go for.

People talk a lot of shit on Bioware since they went libshit but their early games really had that it's your journey feel going on. Sure, you're on that Sarevok/Water Dragon express but you're repeatedly given a chance to define your motivation for staying on said rails.

Same reason why I loved the original Witcher but can't stand W3. I won't magically start caring for a character just because he's a book cameo or if the game goes press F.

And I'll say it again, if you haven't play some of the Neverwinter custom modules. I scoffed at them back in the day and quite a few are garbage but the ones that ain't. Fucking hell, the ones that ain't.

Also my proxy seems to be cycling a bit faster than usual so, apologies.