I'm kinda mad so many games are going the "randomly generated" route for what they're doing

I'm kinda mad so many games are going the "randomly generated" route for what they're doing.
I'm not talking about triple A of course, mostly smaller devs doing interesting projects. They all seem really talented, some are making Fallout inspired CRPGs, another is basically making the first interesting fps I've seen in a while, but both will have randomly generated shit.

It just feels like such a cheap way not to make content. Am I alone in this? Anybody here a big fan of randomly generated stuff?

Cutie for attention

Maybe if she closed her mouth.

No, I hate it too. I drop every game I think looks interesting if it has procedural generation or 'roguelike elements'.

Randomly generated content at least attempts to address replayability which is all but dead in today's climate of overly-linear, overly-scripted & cutscene-heavy "cinematic" trash.

qts in return

Not that I disagree with you on the use of randomly generated content, but damn, dude.

I hate the random shit 90% of the time too. Sometimes it's done well and I don't mind, but goddamn am I sick of devs using random gen as a crux to avoid actually designing levels and creating fun and interesting weapons and putting them in risky places that reward exploration and puzzle solving. I'll take a handful of well-designed dungeons and a few crafted weapons over "infinite replayability" via the "roguelike" cop-out any day.

What about The Binding of Isaac?
With the way the game works, it would be awful if each floor was pre-made, because there wouldn't be even a quarter of the power-ups and either the later bosses would be piss-easy or 30-minute grinds, and it would be a chore to replay from the start.
Some games it might be a cop-out. Others need it.

It addresses it with shallow, repetitive content because they either go for aesthetic variety, and sacrifice substance, or everything just ends up looking and feeling the same, even when it is a bit different.

Adding complexity seems to be beyond lazy developers these days. Minecraft's world generation has consistently gotten worse every time it's been revamped, but all anyone does to fix it is add more biomes. Meanwhile, Dwarf Fortress has _actual_ replayability, and it does a simulation of a world, including mountains, rivers, erosion, etc.

Most of the randomness is just lazy development, though. Why make a thousand items with individual stats, and place them in the perfect place, when you can randomly generate all of it and sell your game as a "roguelight", because "le rogue randomly generated is nearly impossible and infinitely replayable" meme. People will pay more money for you to do less work.

Gaming is screwed because any time someone suggests bringing back good mechanics, depth, and effort, the casuals throw an autistic fit about it and demand more watered-down games to cater to their interests. Then, it becomes economically viable to bring something classic back, so a big developer will do it, and the casuals will be there to praise them for "renewing a classic", like they appreciated it before the marketing push.

Randomly-generated simulation worlds can be amazing, but you need a competent developer to actually put effort into it. A well-made random game probably takes more time and effort than a hand-made one, not less.

Who is this protein queen?

Maybe read the file name, you dummy.

Why would you want her to close her mouth?

that's a man

A wrong question, m8. Not why, but on what.

Random generation is great for games with reasonably complicated resource management and build trees. It's way more fun to play a game that forces you to try different strategies based on then hand you've been given, than one that you can play the same way every time.
It's total cancer for games that are only doing it for lazy INFINITE CONTENT though.

So when is OP going to deliver?

I prefer the main game to be premade and the side quests or side content to be randomly generated. Like Soldier of Fortune 2 and one of the Delta Force games, if I'm not mistaken. It hasn't been done in RPG or open world adventure games as an integral part to the main game though. Maybe Daggerfall to some degree.

wew lad
I bet you think the wall isn't going to be built too.

While you are at it, why not help me locate more photos of the girl in pic related.

But user, the wall is already being built.

More like one and a half state.

Oy vey what do they need a third of a state for

Wish we could see more games do what Pikmin 2 did: have a large unchanging overworld sections and then the dungeon sections floor layouts were randomly generated.

That ain't sounding very good. What about an unchanging overworld, towns, and dungeons for main game purpose only, and an indefinitely sized procedurally generated overworld, towns, and dungeons as an extension to the main game?

I've played a number of proc gen games now, and the addition to replay value is nice in roguelike/lite dungeon crawlers. However, I've gotten tired of it. Even across different games, it's the same shit, so it wears out its welcome fast.
Spire gets a free pass for now, though:

The amount of research needed to create all the tech going into this game is absurd, there is a reason most procedural games look the way they do. We are trying hard to bring some actual advancements to procedural generation rather then just noise / premade rooms / marketing fluff.

Randomly Generated Cuties: The Thread

I actually enjoy most the games with a procedurally generated landmass when they use it as a basis, editing it and handcrafting the rest.
yes I am fellating Morrowind and Oblivion there.

Some of the best games out there DO use random generation extensively.
It all boils down to devs competency, as hand crafted levels may still be infinitely shittier than random generated ones.

Diablo was a fucking mistake.
So was Rogue.

It wasn't very good. In Pikmin 2, the overworld would be interesting and the dungeons would just have copy/pasted purple pikmin rape candidates.

Nigga, you're asking for ur mum jokes.

Desync?

Randomly generated content usually is shit because they don't develop the system to be robust enough, nor does it have any coherency.

Also, stop posting 3D sluts. All white women, and most other women, are attention whores with blown out vaginas that hate men and the concept of eternal monogamy once known as marriage. Useless, entitled bags of flesh.

Diablo could have been massively better in terms of bosses.

Your thread is shit if you have to use that to get people to post in it.

that's even better

Indie-games are fucking crap. Nothing better than the shitty flash-games you could play for free on various internet-sites 10 years ago.

Where the hell do you think you are, friend?

Anyway you aren't wrong. Randomized content is cool in theory, but lacks any nuance or difficulty curve. You're literally feeding variables into an algorithm and telling the computer to design the game for you without the algorithm being smart enough to know what "fun" is, or if the pacing is right, etc

It could always be used as a baseline skeleton for creating new content, sure - an actual game with proper design sense built on the random generating scale of Nu Male's Sky could have been goddamn awesome in the right hands. The problem is it should have never actually replaced something as fundamental to vidya as level design and difficulty scaling.

Random generation tends to be crap because all the functional blocks that get scattered through the random worlds, the specific buildings, the rooms with useful stuff, etc. don't really change. So you wander these technically unique but ultimately bland and meaningless worlds looking for the places in which you'll find what you need.

it's less "infinite worlds of possibilities" and more "where are my fucking keys?"

Diablo style random weapon generation is cancer too. I know some of y'all like it. I don't. Get fucked.

I don't think it would be very easy to improve Minecraft's terrain generation unless you first made the world a finite size. The reason why DF can have that complexity is because it's written based on the rules of an actual continent, not an infinity of fractal landmasses and water. The problem with MC is that the general idea of the homogenity of the terrain takes precedent. Despite that it's more realistic that someone might have to travel a thousand miles to find the nearest desert, actual MC players wouldn't want to do that; they prefer that every major biome is within a couple thousand blocks, at MOST. Despite that it's more realistic that an "ocean" would be five thousand miles across, players wouldn't bother crossing them if they were more than a couple hundred blocks, at most. So the code that generates the terrain has to be extremely simple, and due to needing everything close, it also makes things very repetitive and illogical (hot deserts right next to snow with nothing in between).

The real issue is that there is no reason to actually GO anywhere in MC unless you're on an autistic quest to collect every single kind of block in the game. Like you REALLY THINK that build of yours would be massively improved by adding podzol, and so have to go traipsing across the world for literally hours to locate a Mega Taiga biome, because that's fun? I don't know; I just use creative mode because I don't like timewasters as a gatekeeper to my enjoyment.

In any case, I feel as if "random" in a lot of games is just to try to replicate normalfag endorphin highs via a sort of "gambling". Like in Fallout4, you can get unique weapons off of any "special" enemy, even if that doesn't make any sense. You could kill a fucking naked wild dog and find out it's somehow carrying a legendary shotgun. Well, fuck… no wonder he was so upset — had a shotgun crammed up his ass all this time!

Her mouth would still be open, your cock would just be in it

People actually watch this stuff?