FF Tier List?

So anons, is there a tier list for Final Fantasy games? I've been in an RPG mood for awhile, and I really haven't played many Final Fantasy games, so I'm kinda looking at that franchise. I've so far only played 1, 2, a tiny bit of 4, 7, and 10.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yeq0YP3fonc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

8 > 12 > Tactics > 7 > 9 > 5 > the rest > dogshit > 6

Your next games should be 5, 6, 8, 9 and 12. In whatever fucking order.

Avoid XIII and XV like the plague. They're equally bad but for completely different reasons.

Alternatively you could try playing other JRPGs that don't have the FF name attached.

This user gets it. Throw III in there as well

IX > VII > VIII > VI >I~V

wew.

I AM CAPTAIN BASCH!

I mean, I've played other JRPGs, but at the moment I've really just been looking for a simple one like FF to dig into. My other option at the moment is plug up my 360 for Tales of Vesperia.

FF15

Haven't you heard, user? Tiers are for Queers.

U WANT JRPG??
U WANT GRINDAN???
HERE BETTER GAME
FUK U

Final Fantasy proves that the best example of a genre is often its worst entry.

I mean, I've got a copy of Grandia 3 sitting over on my bookshelf, but I haven't played any of the others.

Plebs dont get me wrong its not an excellent game, but its still a decent mainline FF

9 > 10 > 6 > 7 + 8 > 1 > 5 > tactics + tactics advance > 11 > the rest > 10-2 > 13

Good
Tactics
Tactics Advance
VI
IV
VII
IX
III
XIV
Crystal Chronicles

Bad
Everything else

ELDER GOD TIER
FFIV, FF:T

GOD TIER
FFVI, FFIX, FFXI, FF:TA

GREAT TIER
FFXII, FFX, FFXIV, FFI

GOOD TIER
FFVII

OKAY TIER
FFVIII, FFXV, FFX-2

SHIT TIER
FFXIII

TOTAL FUCKING GARBAGE TIER
any of the android ports, that mobius one or whatever it's called

DIDN'T PLAY THEM TIER
anything not on this list

If you play I play it on NES or maybe Origins (on normal mode). Anything after that was made into a completely different game and is way too easy.

Cool
Average
Gay
1,2,10,10-2,13-2,14(realm reborn)
Autistic
13,13-3,14(vanilla)

No, it fails as both a TRPG and a Final Fantasy game. Even that Gundam TRPG on the Super Famicom was a better game.

Surprisingly reasonable discussion in a probable bait thread.
Sincere question for all the people who rank VII as top tier, though - was it the first FF you ever played?

Personally, I HATED FF7 at the time for its blind retard translation, soulless (literally) characters, incredibly lame main villain who was obvious for nearly the entire game, bizarre genre shift from fantasy to high-tech, and hideous art switch from lovingly detailed sprites to monstrous South Park looking polygon blobs. And thought 8 was an improvement, since at least the characters looked human again and the real mastermind was once again a surprise.

(As a grown-up, I am now aware that 8 has plenty of flaws and 7 has aged a lot more gracefully.)

Anyway, a lot of people seem to hate 8 and love 7, and I'm curious if it was for the same reason: if 7 was, to them, what FF was "supposed" to be like, and 8 was the one that ruined it.

Pic unrelated, but the best feature of FF9.

A lot of these titles I haven't played in a long time, but here's my 2 cents:

Only ones I ever paid attention to were 3, 4, 5, 9, and 10. 10 and 4 were the weakest of that lot, I played X-2 and it has the best job system/combat of the entire series but it's attached to boring idolshit. 5 and 9 were the best of that lot.

Played 1 via PSP remake and it was alright, haven't played 2, 4's After Years games are hot garbage fanfiction, 6 failed to keep my attention, haven't played 7, 8, 12 or 13. Still need to pirate 11 and need to get me a subscription for 14, haven't played 15.

Oh also all the Tactics games are good and you should play 'em, Crystal Chronicles is fun, Explorers is a soulless Monster Hunter clone but fun for what it is.

I played a remake too, but the real experience is on the NES where you NEED to plan accordingly.

Don't. Ever. I decided i was going to play it to decide for myself how shit it was and found out that every bit of hate for it is totally justified.
I'd hate to shill for a Jewtuber, but I'm not going to WEBM the 90 minutes this guy spends shitting on 13. youtube.com/watch?v=yeq0YP3fonc
Yes, he's a Cinemasins copycat, but I think he does it pretty well, and he says about everything I hated about the game.

Kill yourself.

kill yourself

He's not saying don't play them, he's saying he hasn't, it's "Didn't play" tier, not "don't play tier".

Three is annoying and not terribly fun but if you made it through 2 then I believe in you.

Four is shit, don't play it. The only good segment is Cecil becoming a paladin; Kain's constant back-and-forth and the railroading ruin the rest of that game.

Five is good but very light on story so you have to be motivated by mixing and matching the classes to exploit them. If you like it you'll like Bravely Default.

Six is great, but does have its flaws. Ignore anyone who talks about having to do low-level runs through the first half of the game. It's not optimal but you don't really need optimal in a game where you can cast Ultima twice in a row for 2 MP.

Eight you can skip or avoid or leave until last.

Nine is good as a throwback to 1-5. Simpler crystal-based plotline but give up on getting Excalibur 2 on your first playthrough.

Twelve is good but I recommend the original, not the IZJS or the upcoming Zodiac Age (at least until we find out what they did with the licenses). The license board is more permissive in the original, while IZJS limits you to one of twelve boards, which you only get to pick when each character joins your party (and then you can't switch at all).

Fifteen is okay as a road trip simulator. It's fun but you can tell they spent most of their time and effort trying to make you like the three companions.

im retarded

kill yourself nigger lover

I see Four at the top of people's lists all the time and I never know why. It's linear, its characters are painfully boring archetypes, the plotline could end several times and just decides not to. I have to assume they either are extremely nostalgic and haven't played it since they were kids or have fetishes for shit characters.

You're a millenial aged nigger who doesn't play a fucking JRPG from 199-fucking-1 in its proper context. Few games on consoles offered an RPG with FF4s narrative scope while also being mechanically accessible. That you complain about linearity while recommending 9 shows you're a giant faggot who's never been decked for running your faggot mouth.

Ah, so nostalgia, then. You forgive the shit writing, the shit setting, and the shit game design because the SNES blew your mind.

Ah, you're a millenial then. You shit on good games because they're old but will play newer ones because you lack the ability to analyze anything and can't appreciate history.

Yeah, that's why I recommended Five right afterwards.

Four was a necessary step to get to better FFs, but it was a step into a pile of shit and there's no reason to recommend it aside the aforementioned Paladin section. You're offering no reasons to play it except that it impressed you when you were a child and didn't know any better.

see

3 is bad but extreme is a dungeon crawler. Don't be expecting a typical JRPG. It's a solely grinding and return to hub to stock up experience.

Xtreme I remember having an awful camera in the first dungeon and I couldn't stand it. 3 was fucking dull as shit

So you have shit taste then

Yeah, again, no argument about 3 as it was horrible. I imported it and had it on preorder for about a year and I was so excited because I loved Grandia II on Dreamcast. My japanese wasn't as good, but it wouldn't have mattered as the gameplay was fun in previous games and you can tell what was going on. The visuals were impressive for the time but I was so fucking let down as the game straight up sucked. One of my worst purchases I ever made, right behind musashi 2

I've played most of the final fantasy games upto 12. I would recommend playing through all of them but if you don't have the time then play through 4,5,6,7,9 and 10.
FF1, 2 and 3 might be too "old" for you to get into and 8 and 12 had a rushed development making them feel unfinished.

fucking end yourself

But they're three of the best ones

FF1 still holds up really well.

Has bait gone too far?

A TIMELESS GAME WOULD STILL BE GOOD TODAY.

It is still good, though. Although 5 is the best game from that era.

12 > 7 > 10 > 9 > 8 > 4 > 5 > 6 > >>>>> > 13 > 15

This meme needs to die

Holy Trinity Tier
VII - IX - XII

Matsuno Tier
Tactics

Grand Adventure Tier
I - IV - V - VI

Style Over Substance Tier
VIII - X - XV

Substance Over Style Tier
III - X-2

Undigestible For Various Reasons Tier
II - XI - XIV

Abomination Tier
Toriyama's Waifu Trilogy

nigger the only reason why final fantasy is still relevant is because of the mmos

Death would have been a kinder fate.

XI is dead and XIV is shit.

no, it would be nothing after 2001 until 13 and then every future FF game would be phoneshit

1 is boring as fuck grandpa.

Anyone recommending Tactics Advance in this thread should hang themselves.

Best to worst of the numbered games
6 5 4 7 9 3 10 1
The rest aren't worth playing

I think we can all agree that either 15 or 13 us at the bottom.

It's all very subjective because each game focuses on different themes and has different gameplay elements that are either better or worse than previous installments depending on your own personal perspective.

If you know the general idea of the plotlines or characters for each game, then just play the one that sounds the most appealing to you.
Otherwise, if there's a Final Fantasy that you have no clue about, check that one out.

My personal favourite is Final Fantasy 9 because I feel it's a masterpiece of the fantasy settings that Final Fantasy was known for before moving into science fiction. However, I know that the characters in it do not get as much attention as they should throughout the story, and I know the long wait times in battles make gameplay a chore at times.
Final Fantasy 5 is a popular favourite for the same reasons I love FF9: It's markedly the last fantasy setting before the games moved in a sci-fi direction.

If you liked FF7, you should try FF6. They're very similar and probably the two Final Fantasy games most often compared directly to eachother.

13 is definitely bottom, 15 has no Lightning in it

Play these
I,II,III,IV,VI,VII,VIII,IX,XII,Tactics
DO NOT PLAY THESE
V,X,XI,XIII,XIV,XV,Advance Tactics
It's that simple.

You are ultra fucking pleb.

Most FF games are enjoyable in their own ways in some form or another. I finished playing X-2 (100%) for the first time a few weeks ago and I'm pissed I avoided it for so long. Dressphere system is one of the better systems in the franchise just off the variety and non linearity of it all. New game+ is actually interesting because of it since you can go through the game with completely different play styles. Only complaint about the game was having a shitty version of blitzball. Between the aspect of actually playing in a world that is post "big baddy killing the everything" and the character development not only the main cast but the world itself over the course of X/X2 its a very neat game. Very rare you see the world after you saved it in RPGs. It really does get a bad rap for the whole idol shit but its at least its relevant to the plot. Still a ton of content I haven't touched either like the fiend tales or the monster tournaments.

I generally can't praise the game enough. If you ignored the game for reasons and at all enjoyed X you owe yourself to play it.

FFT > FF5 > 6 > 4 > 7 > XV
1 > 2 > 3 > 9 > XII > 8
X > X-2 > XIII

FFtactics Advance??? wot. the story sucks but the gameplay is good

FFTA2's gameplay is much better than FFTA, and has a nice "open world" feel due to the way quests and locations are distributed.

Race-locked classes. Retarded judge.

X-2 > 8 > 5 > 7 > 9 > 4 > 6 > 2 > 1 > 3 > X > 12 > 13

I'm really surprised by how divided everyone is on all the mainline games especially X. It seems like the only common ground here is that everyone thinks the XIII games are garbage.

xtreme and 1 are the best of the series you cunt

X is what really started the whole "hall way simulator" thing so I at least get that kind of divide even though very few of the FF games are non linear, especially the 3D ones. At best you have a side quest village or two and that is it, you're almost always going point A to point B with little option to detour. Probably a lot of folks just straight up not playing the games or shitting over them on completely trivial reasons (HAHAHAHAHA). Its one of the rare franchises in gaming that the vast majority of the games are at least decent if not above straight up iconic. Still need to play XV but I'm not paying full price for it, DLC is obviously coming so no reason to play it now.

I haven't been able to force myself to sit though XIII yet even though I ended up getting the first two out of that Easter "random 7 games" bundle square did last year. I think I got a few hours into the first one before getting bored and forgetting about it. I've just ended up replaying other games for my fix while they sit there in the library. Could be playing it now but somehow got back on a FFVII run I started a few weeks ago. Grinding the limit breaks in Mithril Cave at the moment so I don't need to do any more until the lovely AP grind on disc 3. Likely my least favorite of the PS1 era all things considered though after recently going through VIII and IX though.

Sakaguchi didn't finish X, Kitase did.

3 is pretty awful, BUT the ability system is fucking first class. Fusing Mana Egss and choosing which spells and skills you have equipped was fun as all fuck.

What the fuck you fags, everybody knows FF5 is the best in the series.

It has the best gameplay out of every main game, the story actually has impact at one point, it's one dude and three babes travelling around the world making shitty jokes and chasing a tree. 9/10, best in the series easily.

butts get out of here. your name is poopoo

Final Fantasy offers the worst overall RPG experience with the best graphics and music at any given time, and exists to cast a shadow over better RPGs.

nesFF = nes RPGs suck, except Crystalis is a hidden gem on NES
FF4 became obsolete by just about every SNES RPG after
FF6 < Earthbound, SMRPG (imo the only two SNES RPGs that hold up at this point)
FF7 < Grandia, at time of release
FF9 < Many PS1 RPGs by this point, like Grandia, Vagrant Story, Suikoden, Wild Arms, etc
FF10 = trash
FF12 = IDK, never seen the game, but it's an MMO? Whatever just go play Kingdom Hearts
FF13 = pinnacle of FF, great graphics and music, and atrocious everything else
FF15 = pinnacle of modern Squeenix, where the games take decades to make and still suck balls

FUCK Final Fantasy.

Fucker say that to my face not online.

It's not too surprising. A lot of these games are good, but for different reasons. Whereas 13 is not good by any reasonable standards. 13-2 is okay.

shit taste tbh

dragon quest is shit.

they took the "grindan forever" meme literally.

I tried playing Chrono Trigger and was so fucking bored by the shit cliche story and easy as piss combat and linearity and crypticness… Fucking hated it, I got to the part where you can choose your time period to go to, played a bit, got stuck at fucking boring prehistoric times with most boring villagers ever, and quit. Fuck Chrono Trigger.

So you played a fraction of the game and you're calling it cliche, even though you have absolutely no idea where the story's going from there. Also, you're supposed to do the cave by the Mystics' village before you take on the prehistoric part. Give this child an A for effort, he got lost in this linear game.

XV doesn't look that bad, looks like an improvement over XIII

Gotta love kids

FF7 was their first game and they got mad Cloud wasn't in FF8 after they bought it.

FF7 is pretty good, but it ruined FF, its story is weird but happens to work, it's like they got positively reinforced forever after to think that weird detached stories are good and FF13 is a good example of how it just makes no fucking sense and doesn't trigger the imagination to fill the void at all, it's just empty non-sense.

The only ones that matter are IV, V, VI, VII, IX, XII, and Tactics.

It wasn't as shitty as 7 but it sure as hell doesn't measure up to 5 or 4.

The original NES games actually are imbalanced, but anything after that (including the rereleases) have better EXP/gold curves. Same for Final Fantasy, actually. If you're basing your experience off the NES games I suggest you try them out again.

Remove IV and I agree.

no need to shift the goalpost user.

You're replying to the wrong person, user. The kid that talked shit about SNES RPGs ran away crying after two posts.

Fair, fair. You're right, it wasn't the original question.

XI has the best story.

I'd probably go for either 5,8,9 or 12 depending on what you really want out of FF, but really just play another series or a crpg you pleb

Final Fantasy. The most divisive JRPG series ever made:
I-III 8-bit romps that go from are you kidding me this shit is easy to where the fuck did my dick go in a couple of hours. I is pretty rought around the edges and barebones. II is often criticized but it ended up spawning it's own containment series of games. III is a literal fucking gem and everyone should play it if they like Jrpgs.
IV-IX use the same battle system. IV - VI are all graphically very similar. IV is very linear and rail roaded but has a great story,cast and the last dungeon is pretty challening. V and VI give you a fair bit of illusion of choice and freedom but it's just an illusion. The biggest thing about V is that it has a system for you to switch classes but personally I always found it overrated because it's an import and not as well known, I'd rather play III than V. VI is admittedly a nostalgia choice for me because I put a ton of hours into it as a dumb kid and am not really able to get all too far into it anymore without getting bored.

VII-IX. They're all pretty good. VII's combat and systems are for the most part unchanged from VI but now instead of having special abilities for character they have limit breaks. The low poly overworld shit is kind of ugly but its charms grow on you as the game progresses.
VIII's story and systems are pretty convoluted but if you're an edgy teen bro you'll probably like it. Other than XII and possibly X (if you count blitzball) I'd say there's probably the most game in VIII out of any other title.
IX is classic in the sense that the setting, class system, pretty much everything is a throwback to I-III and/or IV. A memorable cast but they don't do too much with them. Main drawback to the game overall I'd say is probably just being a packrat with every piece of equipment in the game so you can synth good shit later.
X was the jump to ps2 and at the time had really great graphics and the setting is hella unique tbcfh with you. I always liked the battle system of it, it's truly turnbased, limit breaks now encompass multiple turns, and Aeons replace your party when summoned instead of just being a glorified spell. Even though the rest of the game is kind of awkward. There's puzzley dungeons every couple hours in the beginning, fair amount of cringey dialogue, and I can't imagine how they managed making something as simple as the sphere grid appear to be so complicated and tedious.
XII is pretty damn good and probably the biggest final fantasy title. Some people knock the gambit system but Final Fantasy as a series is known for experimenting and not staying in a box a la Dragon Quest. There's lots of hunts to do and if you play the IZJS version or follow class lines in the original you have a much more challenging task ahead of you.

A tier list for these games is fucking useless. Opinions vary so wildly across the various games it's not like you could even look at various people's opinions and ascertain any real sense of the series like a tier list for fighting games where there might be some disagreement on how high some characters would be.

Yep

FFT
FF7
FFX
FF6
FFXII

Overrated/overhyped
FF8
FF9 (good SOLID gameplay.)

No, FF8 has a LOT of problems.

Story department was a mess. Shit like "oh our GF made us forget" but they fucking forgot before they even had a GF junctioned. A fan theory that Squall died after getting hit with the ice shard grew and makes the most sense right now because of how bad the story is handled after the injury. Even regular fans that play through it can see how it fills in plot holes and events.

Battle system was crap and could also be cheesed. You couldn't do basic activities like fucking Defend without selecting it as an option only after junctioning a GF. I'm not even going to get into Triple Triad rules once you hit "random" rules. A player simply needs to stop playing the game in certain areas to prevent getting fucked.

Also some GF's get "jealous" which basically makes the less effective GF become obsolete once you get more powerful GF's because who cares if a weak GF like Shiva or Siren is jealous when you have the higher end GF's. Poor fucking planning and execution was all over this game's gameplay.

Characters were fucked. Outside of Squall, most of them don't get any real development. One that pissed me off was how they literally dropped Quistis after Squall blew her off after the graduation. After that she turned into a placeholder and had minimal personality. Rinoa was somehow a princess, but not really a princess, but a daughter of a general and just a fucking shitshow backstory. People can go on how bad this story was.

Obviously everyone brings up the map emptyness.

What FF8 had going for it was gorgeous graphics, beautiful music, sweet Ragnarok, and insane levels of industry hype pumping up an otherwise flacid game.

FF9 at least had a solid battle system. The story, characters, music, design look, and etc could be shit, but the game had a solid battle system.

The problem isn't that it can be cheesed (pretty much every FF can) it's that it's the only way to play.

FF6 > shitty rudimentary grindathons 1-5 > awful Nomura gackt fapmaterial 7-x

Well, yeah, I will give you that.

Frankly it just wasn't as satisfying as figuring out materia combos for example. That type of cheese was fun and took hide and seek, along with a weapon type component.

In FF8 keeping your characters close to a state of KO just to unleash limit breaks every turn is beyond lame. I mean you could do it from the start of the game.

Also want to spread some hate here. While I loved Quistis and wanted to enjoy more of her after the "fuck off muh dick bitch" scene….

There's THIS faggot.

Fucking…. hate this faggot. Zell too for other reasons. As much as I hated, HATED Seifer, fucker was a better SEED team mate than the bros that were given to Squall.

Tier 0
Lightning returns when you ignore the entire game and play it like Majora's mask 2

Tier 1
Actually good FF games

Tier 2
FFXIV

Tier 3
13 and 13-2 and all the IOS ports

Truest tier list you'll ever see

Played I on the GBA, it's simple and enjoyable
Touched II for a bit and got bored
III on the DS was pretty forgettable so I won't be going back
I hear great things about IV so I might go back
Never played V
VI is good, nothing else to say there
VII is okay but I like most of the spinoffs more with Crisis Core is on of my favorites
VIII is a jank mess that I have a soft spot for (probably because it was my first FF).
Played IX once, will go back to it
X was meh
X-2 is another favorite, best ATB system
Didn't touch XI
Was okay with XII when I first played it, enjoy it a hell of a lot more after playing Xenoblade
XIII is shit, XIII-2 is better with the plot and XIII-3 is better with the gameplay
Touched XIV, was okay but I don't play MMO's outside of PSO2
XV is in a weird spot, was hyped for this game since it was announced and I was 13 and edgy as fuck. After finding out the plot got changed and the gameplay wasn't KH enough along with the DLC up the wazoo. I'm disappointed but I still like it. The characters are pretty good imo but not enough time is spent with the people who I want to know more about.

you're the reaosn why people hate ff8
you give a bad name to all of us

Literally the only one with common sense.

FF8 was the best game for people who like to absolutely break the game. The story and setting was really good until you go to space and Quistis was mai waifu before I even knew what a waifu was. Even though she's only 18 she gave me an undying love for mild femdom and teachers that burns hot even today. Webm related.

lol

Let me get this straight. Some random user on a deep dank dark message board answers the question posed why people dislike FF8. A subject I haven't talked about in at least a fucking decade.

It is this user, moi, that is the reason people hate FF8 and not the fucking pozzed game itself?

GOOD. Cry harder faggot

To that I say, mostly correct. There was another plot hole you mentioned however. Irvine didn't get a GF later in life unless by a few months at most. Another ass pull.

And regarding the gun, dude can't fucking do the one thing he was pulled into the operation to do. Literally "YOU HAD ONE JOB" tier faggot. It was fucking aggravating because I did like him till THAT point. The entire scene could have had Squall do an offensive with the shield still up had Irvine just shot with no problems. Instead it shows that Squall didn't need to even need the dumbass to begin with.

FF8 had a GREAT concept going. Probably one of the finest concepts of getting orphaned fuckin mercs. Yet it was constantly tripping on its bullshit.

Actually the story was fine till actually the ice shard. Then it comes apart starting at "no scars". There are things that start coming apart. Quistis' handling was the FIRST thing that sat wrong with me. She was a LOVELY character and they just dropped her. I get that it was supposed to be a love story, but I would have made a call for the player to chose Quistis or one of the other girls like FF7. Rinoa was irritating, Quistis knew how to handle Squall. Quistis is waifu supreme

The game breaks with so little effort to even enjoy breaking it.
Hell it's harder to NOT break the game and ruin all the fun than it is to break it.

Kill yourself

Wait.. V and X? Oh pleb you fucked it.

7-8-9-6-12-10-4-13

Deal with it.

Nope. No deal.

Chronno Cross > IX > X > VII > rest is unplayable garbage

With all the varying degrees of which games are good and shit, the one that seems to be generally accepted as nothing less but "Great/Good" is FFIX. Probably the best choice when looking for a solid FF game to play.

The pros:
-The plot is a throwback to previous FF games where it was simple and involved kingdoms, princesses, wars, crystals, a primary antagonist, and a group of rag-tag unlikely heroes who will save the world.
-It has some of the best fleshed out characters in any game of the series, with Vivi being the obvious one.
-The battle system is fairly generic like the rest of the series, but if you're a fan of FF in general then it's also fun. Some bosses can be a challenge but if you aren't running from every battle then they can be won without grinding.
-This game has one of my favorite ability systems. Each weapon/armor/accessory has abilities on it that characters can learn. You equip them, kill baddies to earn ability points (AP), then once you acquire enough AP you permanently acquire the ability.
-There's a few fun mini-games but there's one in particular that is either love it or hate it, and that's Chocobo Hot or Cold. To get the best weapons/armor/items in the game you have to do this mini-game and find Chocographs. These graphs are basically maps that lead to treasure, and each one contains a hint and shows a vague picture of the location on the world map. If you like treasure hunts then this will be your fucking jam.
-The soundtrack is great shit. Some songs can get irritating or overused to the point that it's not enjoyable anymore, namely the battle theme, but the majority of songs are good.
-The main antagonist, Kuja, is one of the most eccentric, manipulative, cunning, poetic, and later insane villains of the series and despite looking like a trans faggot, he's an interesting character that you love to hate for being an insufferable fuckface.

The middleground:
-An optional mini-game (except for one part of the story), is a card game called Tetra Master. It's a poorly cloned version of Triple Triad from FF8, which is a shame because if it was done better it could've been a pretty good card game. The game makes no effort to teach you how to play it and only leaves cryptic clues as to what the card symbols mean in random locations throughout the game. Then there's one extra thing that turns this card game into absolute shit. They either fucked up some coding or purposely added something because even if your card is stronger than the card it's battling, it still has a small chance to lose. That alone is enough to make it a retarded cousin of Triple Triad. Despite all that, I won't call it a con because I actually enjoy it, but if given the option I would definitely play TT instead.
-The character designs/proportions is the one thing that put people off from this game. It's fair to say this is a reason why people don't take the story seriously, considering the characters look like goofy-ass toys you'd find in the toy section of a wal-mart. Especially since before this game we had FF7 and FF8, which had characters that looked more like humans.

The cons:
-The battle system is slow. Fucking slow. Even when the settings are at max speed it's still slow as fuck. I don't know if it was changed or is faster on the PC/Mobile version but if you're playing this shit on a PS1 then get ready for long ass loading screens upon entering battle and waiting eons for characters to do skills.
-The final boss is retarded, and by that I mean within the confines of the story. It is a huge ass-pull and is given a shitty reason for it being the final boss.
-Stealing rates are atrocious. Stealing items from bosses is one of the best ways to get good equipment early game. But the rate of success is fucking abysmal. Even with the ability Master Thief which improves the success rate it's still fucking awful.

Or disregard all of that and just play Chrono Trigger. Fucking best Final Fantasy game not named Final Fantasy.

As long as you avoid 13 (all of them), 10-2, and 15, the rest are worth at least giving a shot. Even 14. Obviously some are better than others but you should at least give them a try. This series has some of the most "love em or hate em" games out there.

Oh, and avoid the android ports.

Shit opinions invalidated. Fuck off.

People hate FF8 because it has one of the worst implementations of level scaling in history, not because "Cloud wasn't in [it]".

The junction system and all the bullshit around it didn't help.

He didn't shoot because he couldn't shoot his Matron from the orphanage. Squall had no problem because he "forgot."

All of that and I'm surprised you didn't mention the Trance system, which was awful.

I love the concept of being able to transform into a powerful version of yourself (Legend of Dragoon anyone?) but Zidane is the only one who ends up having unique skills in his Trance mode while the rest just get upped versions of their moves. Don't get me wrong, double black magic and Steiner suddenly hitting for giant amounts of damage was pretty cool but it feels…I don't know, incomplete? It's not much more than just an unreliable stat steroid which is kind of underwhelming but maybe that's just me.

Chocobo Hot or Cold was atrocious in that before you could even get to the actual treasure hunt part you're spending the better part of your fucking day just pecking at the ground inside the forest. I'm aware it gets easier as your fucking Beak level goes up but goddamn the tedium was maddening.

Next you're going to shit on Ocarina Of Time.

Don't you mean "Whatever"?

ff9 had a shit ton of revisions in development, the redid the ending alone something like 7 times.

they had no fucking idea what to do probably and since they spent dev time in hawaii as a compromise between japan and usa most of the team probably just bitched at each other the whole time.

the thing that will be forever sad for me is 11. it is one of the most comfy ass games there is especially if you get in with the amazing jp lvling groups. beach crab party will forever be missed.

I wasn't aware of that. Explains a lot really.

There's a lot of problems with the storyline but that wasn't one of them.

Sorry I meant "whatever"

Fuck I knew I forgot something. Yeah the Trance system was pretty shit with the exception of Zidane. Also the fact that you had no control over when you enter Trance and so it could be wasted by a weak enemy poking you and forcing you into it before a boss fight was just awful.

And just like I stated, the Hot or Cold mini-game always has people who love it or hate it. I rarely see anyone who are indifferent to it. I can understand why people dislike it, it's very slow paced in the beginning as you've said. And I admit, once you unlock the final Chocobo garden and do the mini-game there, it's suddenly not as fun as it used to be just because of how much navigating there is.

Actually there's some effort at the beginning when it comes to keeping your character's level low and the card rules clean but the game sort of shoots itself in the foot (of course it does this in many other ways) by implementing Chocobo World which is basically Free Items: the minigame. You just let it farm in the background and check your save screen every 10 minutes after you go into your first chocobo forest. By the time I hit Disc 2 I was swimming in refine-able items.

So yeah actually there is not much effort really.

Fucking hated that shit, especially when you get pulled into a fight just before the next screen and you're frantically trying to get to Flee while holding down R2+L2 only to get nipped in the ass and provoke Trance, but hey running away finally triggered and now you can't even enjoy the catharsis of stomping the shit out of it with an unnecessarily powerful move.

Honestly for the longest time I never played Chocobo Hot and Cold. It wasn't until I was older years after beating it multiple times that i finally gave it a shot and I personally do not think it is worth the effort especially when you get powerful weapons early and suddenly bosses aren't even a challenge. It saps the fun out of the game for me in more ways than one.

most motional, second best soundtrack in series, stop lying you fucks it was great

I don't think you know what you're saying

X2 as well for a variety of reasons.

A scholar and a gentleman I see.

I agree with you, the game fell apart after CD 1. I was also aggravated by Irvine not doing the one thing he was supposed to do. All in all I liked 8 because of the setting.

never played x2 because it always looked so gay,also the ending to X was perfect for me. just taking story into account is it better to avoid it and not look up what happens?

nice digits btw

The 100% ending to X-2 is probably the best one if you like Tidus

100% perfect ending is the ja continuation of the FFX ending., its worth playing through it if you at all enjoy the world of Spira. I avoided it as well until last month but it just made me appreciate X even more. The gameplay alone is worth it but if you're at all attached to the characters throughout the game you owe yourself to play it, use a guide if you want 100% on the first run through though. New game plus is pretty neat though, the dress system gives you a lot of variety on how you play the game.

I think I said it earlier in the thread but I really can't praise the game enough.

Hey, I'm Barry from Pennsylvania

Does NG+ make it so you can't really miss anything as long you go to NG+? Well, really I'd like to know that about Chrono Cross since I'm thinking of playing the game soon. Chrono Trigger is set up so the only thing you can permanently miss are the fights with the magic guy since those are based on your level. Although the items he gives you are never unique and the ports with bestiaries will give you any previous forms you might have missed.

ok I'll paly it. Last tiem I played FFX it was on an emulator, some kind of international version with japanese voice acting but the english translations. is it possible to play FFX2 this way? I've never seen an iso being specifically labelled this way.

otherwise I'll just shill out the money for the hd collection, it'll give me another excuse to replay FFX anyway.

oh boy

More or less, developers didn't intend for people to be able to 100% on their first run through due to all lot of minor things that are very easy to miss for a percent. Casual runs will get you around 60-70 percent depending on how picky you are. I think if you somehow miss a percent you can run through NG+ and join the opposite faction for it, but still need to play until the end for the perfect ending. Don't really know about Chrono Cross since I only played through it once when it came out.

The remasters of X is the international edition but you can't mix and match the JP audio with the English subs without modding it but I'm fairly sure its out there. Same for X2. I still need to go back and fight the Dark Aeons and Penance since I never had access to the international edition until the PC ports. On sale right now if you were to pay for it.

I've heard that the music was remixed into crappy versions in the HD edition. It does have HD Lulu tits though.

You can change between remaster and original at any point in the game at least. I legitimately cannot tolerate the remaster versions, they feel so over produced and sterile compared to the original.

BEHOLD, YOUR HOPE ENDS HERE

I haven't played 15 or the mmo's ,but for the most part I enjoyed the whole series. 13 definitely felt like more of a chore than an enjoyable experience, but I did enjoy the soundtrack and Gran Pulse. I wouldn't recommend the game for those alone, and it is likely the only main series game I will never replay.

The combat of 13 felt like a chore more than anything. There was always one particular move that would be the strongest against a certain enemy and you could just spam that, they never provided any incentive to mix it up, to the point where they added an autoattack button that just spammed your best attack. That was the worst part of the game, that the combat wasn't any fun.

I probably feel more fond of it than most people because I don't remember the early parts as much as the end game, where it actually took a little bit of thinking to take down the big monsters for the hunts. It was disgusting that it took so long to get to that point, however.

nice quints

X was the beginning of FF turning into a hall way sim you tasteless nigger. Stop lying you faggot it was shit.

Indeed, I still remember getting the airship, seeing that it was simply a teleportation menu (which I had halfway been expecting due to the absence of a world map) and thinking that Final Fantasy had officially given up its soul.

FF was always a glorified hallway simulator, you rarely had any significant choices outside going point A to point B. Only difference is they condensed the scenery on a scrolling screen instead of a flat mostly empty plane.

As an old shit that was actually alive when all of these came out, I don't think you can sequentially rank any of them. There are very definite groups that form "eras" of FF, and that's what I've done here. Each one of these groups has a different feel and vibe, but playing them together will probably give you a better sense of what FF was as you make your way through the groups. Groups aren't listed in order of importance or quality, excluding group 1. It's top tier.

Group 1:
FFVII, FFVI, FFV, Tactics

The best of the bunch. You can wax fag-osophically about it after the fact, but in terms of impact, relevance, and importance at the time they were released, you'll never find anything better in console RPGs than these. FFVII was a fucking phenom at the time, both for RPGs and the PSX, and it's still a great game and captures a lot of what FF is. VI and V are great as well and have the same feel, but VII is what it is. Play through these four and you're eating the best of what FF had to offer.

Group 2:
FFVIII, FFIX, FFX

Group 3:
FFIII, FFIV, FFI, FFII

Group 4:
FFXII, FFXIII, FFXV

Yeah, up until a point and then they usually opened up. Take FF6 for example and how you pick up your party members in the World of Ruin. Not to mention the sense of an actual world that flying, walking, or riding around the map gives, instead of the feeling of disjointed connected corridors.

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series

III
V
VI
IX
XI
XII (don't listen to haters)
Tactics

I
IV
VII
VIII
X
XIV:ARR
Tactics Advance
Tactics A2
Bravely Default

X-2 (the gameplay's solid enough to make up for what it does wrong)
XV
Crisis Core
Type-0
Bravely Second

Crystal Chronicles series
Dirge of Cerberus
Most of the other spinoffs

II
XIII
XIII-2
Lightning Returns
XIV (original version)

nigga, the first one is comfy as fuck

the first time i played FF8 i didn't even notice level scaling, i just played through the game normally and before the end grinded to 100 in ICTH.

its one of the best FFs because you barely need to grind, you can just focus on the game and Cards. fucking cards is the best thing about 8

Maybe if you actually had friends and took out a lone to get multiple GBA's.

The thing is that they sub out grinding exp for grinding ap. Once your GFs have the necessary abilities and you've kept the trade rule as All as well the general rules within easy ranges (Same, Open and Elemental are all easy to handle rules) the game becomes disgustingly easy. And that's ignoring Chocobo World.

How is X-2?

final fantasy was never hard.

in the old games you just grinded more and you'd win easier. 8 simply streamlined what was a feature in the series since 1.

when did I say it was?

you complained that it was too easy, kinda implying that the rest of the series was "hard"

Don't worry I wasn't implying that hun.

It's really just a statement of fact, 8 does become disgustingly easy after card mod and magic refine abilities become available. No need to jump to conclusions retard.

was it necessary to make 2 posts for this? chill out fam

Where does Mystic Quest rank?

Greatest battle theme without question.

7 and 8 are coming back so that "90s kids" can enjoy them just as 90s kids did.

Then your a moron. The story was also fugged. See:

lol no fag. He started the freak out BEFORE he saw the target. See vid.

The first game could have been good had you not needed a faggot to carry the fucking crystal during battle, seperate fucking DS to play as well. That game was a MONEY DRAIN. It could have been great though.

kek

I would be happy with the idea of FF8 if they didn't remake it, but completely overhaul it. Fix and change the story to make it sensical, less retarded, scrap the fucking battle system, the whole shebang.

If they just do a "remake" of FF8 like they are doing with FF7 they are going to fail fucking twice. That thing needs an overhaul like HBO's Westworld is compared to the old movie version.

Shit > FF1-15 plus spin-offs.

Not even bait, they're just shit.

Irvine saw Edea on television before the assassination, he knew exactly who he was going to shoot the entire time, so when it came down to it he choked. How the fuck do you plan an assassination without knowing who the target is beforehand are you fucked?

Flushing memories and/or the pressure of such a high stressed situation. Up until that point he was trying way to hard to be cool and collected so when it finally mattered he started freaking out over it. Its really not that strange for a fairly inexperienced solider/seed, they're still teenagers. I don't even get why people are making such a big deal out of it anyway, he takes the shot after Squalls calms him down with the "Its just a signal don't worry about it" kind of talk. Which works out exactly as he said showing off Squalls leadership traits/actually being calm and collected.

Game wasn't perfect but people nitpick the stupidest of shit.

Welp clearly your memory of the game is shit. Surprises around.

Clearly you've never touched a gun, let alone gotten any sniping skills. Tell me, what are your groupings at 300 yards out? What does it take to get a solid grouping 300 yards out and with what rifle set up such as ideal twist rate with the gun.

That's right, shut up and stop defending the game's retarded story telling.

Remember, it is not YOUR job to tell me or excuse Irvine's behavior. It is the job of the game itself.

THAT is what the real fundamental problem is. This game was written with someone with an attention deficit disorder. They don't take any time to make whatever is going on make sense within the story's unique world.

Yeah, I realized why I don't fucking buy XIII-2 and its sequel because of how shitty XIII is but I bought it because it was on sale and I forgot how shitty it was.

I've watched the vid and it only bashed the story line which is valid since I wanted to skip every shitty lines there was in the game.

I'm waiting for XV or XII to be available on steam, though.

pic related, some side characters blocking a main character's conversation. It would be awkward if both of them are the same height with that side character.

the dancers, though. For some odd reason, my cousins were dancing/copying it during that sequence. I was a pre-teen when I finished that game.

my cousins and I*

I know how you feel about XV. I played it with a friend and found it kinda meh, but I respected his hype for it since both he and his dad were hyped for it a while ago and his dad died during the wait.
It's weird because noctis gets blasted over and over again by his bro, bring like "yo we gotta save shut stop sulking dude ur useless" when noctis has a perfectly good reason to be upset, more so than any of them. It always struck me as weird. I think they were going for a Gurren Lagan type thing, but it just ended up really weird

That sucks. My condolences to him and his family.

That particular part of the game was really awkward, and kind of the beginning of the "oh shit story" half of the plot. It was intended to bring in some drama and clarify what Gladio's role in the party is (remember, his dad died at the same time Noctis' did, but he said nothing because they needed to move forward), but ended up making way too aggressive and asshole-ish. I think the timeskip was supposed to explain some of that, like, "whoa it's been (however long it was, weeks or months) and Noctis is STILL hung up?" but it ended up just being another weird, confusing jump in the string of events. Thank God for whoever thought to include Umbra as an option to jump back in time to the fun part of the game, though.

XIII is terrible
XIII-2 is alright
XIII-3 has bretty good combat

That is one way to ignore basic story telling I guess.

thanks Angry Joe.

In all seriousness the world map wouldn't have fit into FFX at all, not with the graphical updates and the expansive setting. There would be no way of connecting with a world map unless they just had step-down graphical representations which was a choice they weren't willing to make for obvious reasons.

So I'm currently on 4
I've beaten:
1, 2 ,3. 13, 15.

1 is barebones but fun the boss battle makes you think a lot.

2 is my favorite Firion is awesome and I love the battle system.

3's job system is annoying but i'm the minority in this opinion, if you really like it just play Bravely Default.

4 is so far really fucking with my heartstrings. people KEEP FUCKING DYING

13 is shit. 13-2 is less shit 13-3 is alright.
15 is fun and I throughly enjoyed it but that storyline is all over the fucking place and it's a pain in the ass.

FFVI is the only good FF game to me, and I've played every single one except IX.

That's not saying much.

I genuinely think XIII was the worst game I've ever played.

I'm sure you were only able to come to that conclusion after 13 destroyed most of your brain cells. 13 is a piece of shit, and 13-2 is such an immense mountain of shit it makes 13-1 look like a diamond by comparison.

this guy gets it, disregard the rest of the entire thread.