UT thread

Let's talk about past and current games

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcharts.com/app/328070
stats.xonotic.org/
steamcharts.com/app/282440
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have this installed but last time I checked it had like 7 players online. I didn't play much except for some tutorials and challenges because the game is empty as fuck, but it looks and works great and some movement mechanics look interesting. Sounds are trash and I didn't like some of its map design. Also seeing it has been pre-alpha for about 3 years I'm sure they'll cancel it soon

Otherwise if any of you're playing I'd like to join too

Play on the weekends. I normally find 50 players on at least then. But yeah Epic decided they want their main focus to be a shitty failing MOBA and put 80% of the UT devs on that until they finally kill it.

They're just saying it's alpha because it's open source and this is not in any release state

Good fun game to do a quick play but players online count is low

Paragon?

why dont pc gamers support the one good exclusive they have

Yeah. It has no players either but unlike UT it actually had a budget.

Same reason console gamers buy uncharted every year but let games like bayonetta 2 and gravity rush flop.

DM_Batrankus is better than any other map in the series and any of Quake's

fite me

neither gravity rush game (or the remaster port) were poorly received by consumers.

The only alive arena FPS I can think of is Xonotic.

Gravity rush 1 didn't do good in the west because it was on a system that sold like shit. On that note console gamers tend to buy the worst consoles in droves but let decent ones (like the vita or wiiu) flop.

Isn't that game kept alive by the guys who make the generals every week?

the vita is sony's failure, not consumers. The wii u is nintendos failure for not getting third parties to support it with competitive deals.

Why don't they add the game on steam? It would pick more players. Make the alpha free and add a pre-order offer to make steam cucks want to play the game while it's free.

Until the game reflects something a bit more complete, I think the only thing keeping me coming back to it is that Absolute Atlanta server which always seems to be populated and runs the Elimination mod. That, and they also have more than like 5 fucking maps.

Still, the game shows serious promise even if the devs had made some seriously questionable decisions in the past months. I can't wait to see it when everything comes out and it has more maps.

Reflex also has a pretty good community, and I always see new players trying to break into it. Though whether or not you want to call it a 'new' arena shooter is up to you, since it's mostly just CPM.

Because epic wants to force its own steam competitor client which is and will always be a failure. They are willing to lose 90% of their potential player base to promote it.

Because that would be a smart business decision and Epic seems to be going out of their way to avoid those.

Everytime someone like you says that, I reinstall it to find around 20 active servers, out of which 10 full and 10 with medium population + another 30 empty ones.

Looked on the site, they have some other game named Robo Recall, almost makes me to want a VR set.

call me when it's done.

Why is it on pre alpha anyways. The game is more than playable, I havent run into any bugs and havent heard anything, the playerbase is okay and it has complete maps

Are you sure about that?

Weren't they really chummy with Valve a year or two ago trying to cross-promote those Steam boxes or something? Maybe the game is still in the state where they don't want everybody playing it because of the usual early access pitfalls and are waiting to add it. I remember when they started, the devs were outright telling people 'do not play this game'

I don't know would you count Half-Life as an arena FPS, but it has an active MP too

I remember reading somewhere they'll add the game on steam at some point, most likely beta or something

This is how server list looks to me right now. There are a few active hubs atm but at other times they're dead too. Are you NA?

speaking of EPIC, what's with Spyjinx with Fornite? First time I hear about them.

The only reason I'd argue is that they still have some very unfinished weapon models and they might feel that they tarnish the look of the game too much to be able to say it's out of pre-alpha. Of course a valid solution would be to remove the shitty grenade launcher and take a couple artists from the shitty MOBA they're making to redo the sniper and finish the lightning gun but they won't do that no matter how badly the dotaclone continues to do.

If in some hypothetical universe they actually did that and put the game on $team it'd probably be pretty successful. Especially if they actually market it against Bethesda's Overquake to rekindle the old Quake vs UT wars except this time UT will be the better game.

That's a good point, I remember them demoing the game on Steamboxes awhile ago. Some might argue that their relationship with Michealsoft is stronger which means a Binbows store version instead of $team but if that were true there wouldn't be MacOS/ganoo slash linux binaries available.

as said

The game feels more in beta state than pre-alpha, more playable and stable than a lot of steam early access games. Don't know what more they want to add to the engine to call it pre-alpha.

Can't decide which was more fun, UT3 or Quake 3

Check its forums, especially feedback forums. I can't tell much myself since I didn't play the game long enough to have a solid opinion on the matter, but it looks like people are complaining about netcode, sounds, weapons, movement related everything. Also apparently there are lots of placeholder content. My guess is they want this game to come out of is pre-alpha state when they're done with Paragon, so they can patch it/work on it more actively

UT2k4, UT99, and Q3A are all close in terms of quality (with 2k4 obviously being very different than the others) but I've never seen someone speak so highly of UT3.

He might just be speaking very lowly of Quake 3

UT3 was ahead of it's time with the vehicle play.

It's not open source, you can only get the source through Epic, you cannot share it and you have to tie like fifty ropes around your neck before you are allowed access to it. Epic is really just sucking people into working for them for free with this game.

Because the people who played arena shooters back then are getting older & the current pc market is made up of console refugees who went all in with the "PC master race" meme.

It has been free since it launched. I believe they said it will be free and probably follow a TF2 style of microtransactions.

I'm in the closed testing for Fortnite. It's pretty boring to be honest, I mean it's nice you get a permanent fort but having to harvest resources ala minecraft for a temporary fort on missions especially when you're the only one building & wasting resources on public lobbies it gets old fast. Not to mention the "quirky" humor on top of that.

How much are they paying you?

Antisage upvote deployed

No more than they pay the honor shills

I guess, but that game belongs more on a beta. It's just terminology, but eh

Proprietary open source is still better than closed source though because at least if Epic ever abandons the game we'll be able to keep it alive with forks.

Imagine how far along Morrowalk would be by now if people didn't have to make a FOSS reimplementation of the engine from scratch.

I fucking wish Epic cared about UT4 enough to hire shills for it. If they cared that much then they might actually consider letting more than two developers work on the damn thing.

It's a free game.

yeah man they're just making it because they're good altruistic people and aren't after profit in any way

I'd rather have UT be popular than most modern shooters. I'd shill UT for free if I wasn't so lazy.

Does it have assault gamemode yet? I played assault maps in 99 so much… Also all those cool DM and CTF maps - on a pirate ship, in a back alley, in a gothic castle at night, on the 3 skyscrapers, in a giant green hallway with low gravity - are these maps back? I tried the new UT a few months ago and it only had foregone destruction and a few other barely textured DM maps.

I miss when VR was about playing already good games but with the added bonus of vr. Now valve ruined it by adding gimicky wagglen. I just want to play stalker, system shock and half life in VR like the original plan to convert all first person games to VR was by Nvidia and Oculus rift.>>11946298

But that isnt titanfall 2.

That's high quality baiting

Have you played titanfall 2?

Have you ever not been a pleb ?

Says the guy who made a snap judgement about the fastest fps since tribes without actually playing it.

They plan on adding huge open maps with vehicles eventually.
I wish they would put more devs on it since a new quake is coming out too.

So they can't hire more than 4 people work on the game part time but they can hire shill?

It's been in pre-alpha for 3 fucking years now

I think the game is fun. My biggest gripe with it is the slow movement speed - I'm too used to the Quake 3 movement speed, and this feels very slow in comparison.

Why hasn't anyone on Holla Forums made a server yet? I would if I had the free time.

No but it just got flag run which is a lot of fun.

just stop

You don't even play AFPS at all if you think this is the case. UT4 is more popular and active than Xon. Reflex is more popular and active than Xon. QL is more popular and active than Reflex, Xon, and UT4 combined.

Yeah, all 5-10 of them.

The Halo games, user. 3, reach, MCC, and 5 are all active by PC player number standards, though if Reach counts as an arena shooter is questionable due to uneven starts with armor abilities.

There are actually a number of really good shooters out right now. This, Halo 5 (the MP at least, single player is dogshit), Titanfall 2, R6 Siege, and DOOM (the single player at least, MP is shit).

This. Tell me when it's released. It looks alright but I'm not going to beta test a game that nobody knows when (if) it's getting released.

All I heard about the latest UT is that it's slow as fuck.

Depends. It's not like 2004 where it's floaty as fuck and you run around double-jumping/wall-dodging across the entire map. It's basically if you took UT99, gave it wall-dodging, wall-running, and sliding on the ground.

UT has always been slow.

did you just fucking claim that hitscan is a bad thing?

it really is because anyone with half a brain can make kills no problem. There is no need to lead, just point and click adventures

So if I made a server would anyone join? I haven't made one before but I am bored and want to play something with Holla Forums.

Do the maps even have fucking textures yet? Unreal Engine looks like trash but thats too much

It's point and click bullshit. It's fine when it has big drawbacks compared to non-hitscan weapons (like it does in any good arena shooter) but in popcorn shooters like Titanfall 1/2 pretty much everything is hitscan or travels so fast it might as well be hitscan.

What hitscan does when coupled with low health is makes the game all about whoseeswhofirst, meaning no matter how skilled you are you'll still get killed randomly by no fault of your own because you aren't omniscient. Getting the drop on someone in an arena shooter is advantageous but you can turn around and outplay enemies thanks to the ability to avoid attacks and move quickly in directions other than just forward.

Shit user, I haven't played TF2 in nearly a year now, but this post actually kind of makes me want to go Sniper and ez snipe a few faggots to make them ragequit again. Good times

KF2 is far better.

Yeah UT has always been "casualized" in a way, compared to other arena shooters. I always wished it had a more complex movement system but the games are still good.

steamcharts.com/app/328070

stats.xonotic.org/

Reflex's all time peak is less than what Xonotic usually has per day, according to these stats anyway.
Quake Live still has the most players out of any of these, but please don't give Zenimax your money: steamcharts.com/app/282440

Where do you get the idea that UT4 is more popular? Are there stats somewhere?

Xonotic had players before those generals appeared.

Who's the best character?
Who's the best girl?

that's incredibly retarded, the problem is nobody actually wants these games as failure after failure proves. If people won't even play a free version of a "PC classic" like quake live or a revival of a "PC classic" like ut4, the genre has no staying power. The people who played them back then getting older doesn't mean that only 17 exist (judging from the current active player base) it means nobody, new or old or poser (like yourself) wants to play these games.

Fuck off Over drone. Companies only want to make your casual shit because you yards lap it up and the lootboxes too

This isn't a buyers remorse thread

That's just bad baiting

I wish a lot of the maps in UT4 weren't turning out to be 'generic fantasy castle' or 'generic round white scifi lab'

UT is awesome, I'm really impressed by the new engine. I still play and love 2k4, but I've been putting some time in on the newest version.

Making maps for UT really isn't too hard.

Half of Titanfall 2's weapons are projectile based.
This is true for slower paced games like CS that don't have a lot of verticality, but Titanfall 2 is fast enough that you can outgun people even if they catch you off guard. Hitscan is still an advantage because you don't have the travel time as with projectiles, but they're perfectly viable.

that one moon base on is cool with the low G areas.

new UT is great..when there is players…. hardest part is getting down movement

I don't like the dodge mechanic.

This game made me realize that I hate snipers. I was ambivalent about them before, but Facing worlds against a good sniper is just not fun.

update

the remade facing worlds?

might have to reinstall this

I remember many painful nights of Foregone Destruction in UT99 where one god-like fuck with a sniper rifle would headshot everyone on the opposing team setting one foot outside the tower with aimbot-like accuracy, which prompted many to try and snipe the fucker themselves only to just be added to his total count of frags
Or someone would send a remotely-controlled Redeemer his way, though they could be sniped out of the air

I'm glad for any nerf that thing got over the years, its killing potential in the hands of a pro was too insane. Stuff like armor protecting you from headshots, sniper rifle ammo and RoF getting nerfed, and so on.

I can't say I like the dodging either, not that I dislike the idea, but the actual distance covered by dodging is minimal and any movement tricks you perform through dodging might as well be executed by simply jumping. Do high-level players rely on dodging in combat? At least sliding makes you harder to hit with hitscan weapons like the Stinger.

Fucking hotwheels.

Ded game.

not really. strafing is still GOAT for dodging. the jump dodge has a predictable distance and your direction is set in stone so its not hard to get picked off when as soon as your feet touch the ground. sometimes ill throw in a jump dodge between the guys rounds to mix it up, but the unpredictability of simple strafing is much better.