blogs.unity3d.com/2016/12/13/unity-5-6-beta-is-now-available/
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html
fna-xna.github.io/
stroustrup.com/bs_faq2.html
mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/c -style-guide/
aws.amazon.com/agreement/
archive.fo/g3eWQ
rjanes.com/tutorials/pixelling_a_monster_sprite.php
brandontreb.com/10-great-pixel-art-tutorial-and-free-resource-sites-for-your-games
a.cocaine.ninja/ddkwcg.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make your cake and eat it too!

What are good ways to preserve texture aspect ratio while making models? It doesn't seem as important with large textures but I want the pixels to be square.

spend decades learning to hide bad seams and polish turds because distorted texels are a given.

I forgot to mention I've already tried making all of my polys specific sizes(1 blender unit = 4 pixels, etc), but that made different shapes much more difficult to map out.

Time to stop being autistic I guess.

that came and went a long time ago.

Neither can AAA studios with tens of millions in their budget so I don't feel so bad.

I was thinking about streaming myself programming my game
Would anyone be interested in something like that
I making an RTS game without an engine I've been working on it on and off for about a year now
I've posted some progress here but I doubt anyone remembers

i tried that once, but i have no clue how to get an audience, and without one, if even part of the process is missed out on, the rest would seem pointless to watch

You're just going to have to allocate more texture space to that part of the model, so the aspect ratio of the polygons is the same as the ratio of the texture part. If it's going to have large flat coloured parts like that you can save texture space by adding more polygons.

The solution is to just record everything and turn it into narrated videos later, I just finished watching a series that is a amateur dev doing exactly that.

to get an audience have title saying "giveaway at end of stream" and give away a random shit game and promise a copy of your game when it is done
do this regularly

what's with people saying that steam greenlight will be 5000$?

100-5000$ according to news

only if you try to get more than 1 game approved a year will the price increase, normally it is 500$

The fee is still unknown so everyone is just speculating, I was personally hoping for ~$500 just to stop the utter trash but allow anyone that has sold a few copies on their own site to afford it.

(checked)
Except that I am the dude that made 4u 2 models. Keep up the work buddy.

Reposting

Comments, suggestions?
Starmaps of your area you'd like to see?

The angular diameter of the moon looks way off, other than that I like.

which news? source?
fuck you other anons you didn't get trips so no (you)'s for you

how did you make fog of war work that way?

please use archive.is/technology/2017/feb/13/valve-kills-steam-greenlight-heres-why-it-matters

and if you are not streaming or showing your code to everyone just blatantly jew some cool rts AI pathfinding features like autoskirmish from github.com/ZeroK-RTS/Zero-K (though that game has proper physics, is 3d, and has dynamically changing terrain so it is not directly compatible to your shit 2d game)

i fucking hate that planet maby consider something less gay

A lot of hard work
I'm still working on it actually there are still a few bugs that I'm trying to fix right now
I could share the code if you want

I once streamed myself making a lecture. As long as I had 1-2 viewers, I felt hard pressed to actually work.
I'm not user the viewers were not bots tho, as my friends ignored it and I didn't explain what I was doing

Thanks m8.
I'm actually torn between realistic representation of the moon's/sun's size and "reating an "artistic" effect.

yea I kno Eart is gay but my game is supposed to be set on its surface.

redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/
you were the one to share this with us, weren't you?

steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/558846854614253751

actually no I didn't see this until after I was mostly done

In this case, aligning your UV the same way your face is. If your 3d face is not a perfect quad or a triangle, then your UV face shouldn't be a perfect quad either. See pic related.
It's also helpful to use snapping in both UV and 3D aligning.
Another useful feature for you might be cube projection unwrapping.

Though there are also different techniques for different shapes, for example straight quad unwrapping like you did works great for circular shapes etc. like in pic related 2

>redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/
Holy shit visual sonar/echolocation. Have the player press a button to emit a wave, and get information on surroundings, but using it costs battery.
Please tell me this hasn't been done before because I'm ready to start a new project

A few of the Aliens games have had the locator from the movies but they only showed enemies and had no battery limit and were instead balanced by making you choose to hold that or a weapon.

I'm not aware of any game that used this as a mechanic.

??? mgs 5 has the hand upgrade that visualizes every enemy and animal for example when you punch the earth youtube.com/watch?v=hbNjbkEdoUo

Well, Splinter Cell had shitty "sonar goggles" as well. The mechanic described seems to be both based on different principle and implemented differently

Need some help. I'm making a priority queue implementation. It guarantees that items removed from it are in a sorted order.

But what do I do about iterating the collection with foreach, or retrieving a collection of the items? I can simply return them in an unsorted order which is much faster, or I can build a new queue, push and pop every item in the collection, and have it be sorted, which could be expensive and not intended;

but on the other hand people might expect every operation with the collection to be sorted

Why not bucket sort the items when adding, so you only have to find the right bucket to put it into and possibly split that? Relatively fast insertion, fast removal, and keeps everything in order for traversal and returning.

My implementation does a lazy insert/remove; internally it's stored as an array, and treats it like a tree. When something is added, it gets stuck at the end of the array's used data, then "floats upward", swapping values if it's smaller. Likewise, the opposite happens when something is removed, except the value propagates downward

I don't think that counts as a queue, first of all.

It seens like your problem would be solved if you instead sorted on insertion rather than on pulling, but I'll assume there's some reason you can't do that. If you're intending other people to be able to use this, why not simply create a method for each instance? Return the object sorted in one method and unsorted in another. If this is just fir your use, implement whichever makes more sense where you'll be using it. Leave foreach to its own devices in either case.

95% sure splintercell did that.

Now I did attempt to look at branching/conditionals while iterating, but it ended up much slower than just iterating, say 1000 items.

I'm no data structure expert, but I'm fairly certain it's not correct for both child nodes of a value to be greater than that parent node.

I posted this in the last thread, but if anyone here wants to do this shit seriously you should think of branching out more. It's the only way you'll find team members and people who might be interested in the game you're playing. For a lot of you: deep down you all know if you want to be successful you have to sell your game so you have a bigger budget for your next game, you can't do your entire game by yourself unless you're speedbot dev and to sell this shit you're going to have to shill it somewhere.

Lately I've been looking at indie game boards and found a discord that's fucking huge so I might lurk there. Honestly though, there has to be a community or several small communities out there worth getting in touch with.

pathfinding is done
no netcode though

I survived the fever, here's fresh Speebot!

Have you already implemented pathfinding and netcode?

If I can learn to do it, then you can learn to do it, but if you're looking to collaborate, Newgrounds has a pretty active board here: newgrounds.com/collab

Almost broke my current build because of these fuckers. Just look at them, they're so tiny but so fucking fast.

Now I just need to activate the proximity detector so they face-hug when near her head.

Another problem is apparently I made the train doors too small for navmesh to work – they're just wide enough for the player pawn but not for AI pathfinding. So I'll probably have to force some artificial waypoints so these fuckers can jump onto the train, smash through the doors and chase her all the way to the end.

I wish I was actually capable of that. I've tried it before, it was a fucking nightmare, probably because I'm too indecisive about certain things, like story and whatnot.

Ayylien Pulse Rifle when?

(That was me, 8ch sperged out) What pathfinding algorithm do you use and how does your game handle multiple units colliding with each other?

It took me a few weeks to grasp the concept, but my textbook explained it very well. They're sorted as they're added, but in a particular order, not lowest-highest order.

It's kind of cool.

Anyways, I'll just have it quickly iterate the collection, in favor of performance; if they really need them sorted, they can do it themselves

Forgot to mention, the reason it's done like this is because it guarantees ln(2) performance by going up/down tree branches, rather than comparing a bunch of different values

I think the biggest hurdle I'm finding in learning to code is the mindset. Before getting into coding a few months ago, all I've ever done is drawing, and the thing about drawing is that you can still make something even with incomplete knowledge of how everything in drawing works. In coding vidya you can't, you just gotta swallow the fact that you're not gonna be able to make anything you can call "finished" until you've hit a a certain minimum skill level.

Well, sure, that day has to come eventually. I'm just working towards a feature complete demo before I go looking for helping hands. That's how the guy who created Snake Pass did it. Now look at him, his game's almost out and it's got enough buzz surrounding it to the point where it's looking like it'll be a moderately successful indie title.
Also he couldn't even code. He put his demo together in UE4 using Blueprint.

Bears Can't Drift is also more of a one-man army release, even moreso than that Yang Bing game.

UE4 is literally a level designer's wet dream.

I'm using A* with a non uniform graph
The graph generation is by far the most expensive part of the pathfinding actually
And that's because the amount of nodes of the generated graph is quite small meaning A* doesn't take long traversing it
And since I only put static objects in the pathfinding I don't need to recreate the graph very often

Does that mean that moving units never collide with each other? And do you re-generate the graph every time a new static obstacle/building appears?

how do you deal with unit collision?

You don't have to deal with collisions if you don't have units

and you don't have to have units if you don't have pathfinding, but my question still stands

What do I use for 2D/3D in C# since XNA died? No, I'm not going back to C++ so that's not a real answer.

I get the feeling that converting arrays to bitmaps is the Wrong Way [TM].

Not every game has the same demand on resources. One man teams will always be limited within a certain scope.

You can use Monogame, it's a open source (?) wrapper around XNA.

I still use XNA because it's more than sufficient for what I need

Awesome, and actually quite convenient since Xamarin integrates perfectly in Visual Studio!

Unity ? Also what's wrong with C++ ?

First, I think managed code isn't going anywhere for the forseeable future. Second, C++ has always felt like an OO band-aid for C to me (which in today's world I find it easier to write something in an interpreted language, and then *if* and only if speed is an issue optimize a method with compiled C). Third, I'm already using Xamarin for some projects for cross-platform C# programming so I'd like to continue on with managed code.

Oh and in regards to Unity I would prefer "native" support from the makers of my compiler. The XNA framework/SDK was from Microsoft.

polite sage

Of course, in most cases even for small scale games it's probably smarter to have a team working on it than just one guy. I'm just saying that if you want to go solo, that fact alone should not discourage you. There are many reasons why one would want to go solo, and are all valid if you're enjoying yourself the most that way.

Look at MonoGame. It's designed to work as simmilarly to XNA as possible

no it means that they collide with eachother constantly and to tie that into question
I will create a different solution to prevent unit from getting stuck on eachother and it will probably be boidian movement I have yet to implement this though because I don't think it's super important
yes

Sometimes i want to punch the devs of Unity in the face. Took me nearly 1 hour to finally realize i should put button and analog input into Update, while movement and physics into FixedUpdate, otherwise everything will go wonky at some point or the input won't get recognized like it should. Constantly thought my own code is somehow the problem, until i made a google search and found dozen of forum threads about people having the same problem.
Worst part is they never mention this in any practical tutorial. They only say once in the short Rigidbody tutorial to use FixedUpdate for physics, but not that your input gets fucked in FixedUpdate. Even in their own examples they only use either Update or FixedUpdate alone, but never both like you're supposed to.

Will I still want to make some smaller "projects" (can I make this piece of code work) before making a full game, this is also what I want to aim for.

I need sprites (2D lineart, none of the faux retro pixel art shit) and audio. Though I'd rather hire from here than anywhere else. That or I make the first hour of an RPG with shit-tier sprites, and show it to someone and try to get them to stamp their IP onto it.

just fixed the last few line of sight bugs

Looks pretty slick. Appears that it's corner based, so it's not necessarily bound to tiles. Were you the user that I linked to? It looks nice.
redblobgames.com/articles/visibility/

It is indeed not based on tiles in fact i don't even use tiles or a grid of any kind in my game
Yes i was the one you linked
I actually already finished the algorithm by that point though I posted in the thread because i thought i was done and then a few more bugs popped up which I just fixed
Whole thing took me quite a while too probably would have gone a lot faster if I used that link but figuring stuff out yourself is part of the fun

where do you learn how to code

1. pick a language.
2. jewtube or a book.
Code Academy is okay for learning the basics too.

Anyone wanna take a crack at breaking or providing feedback for some of my custom collections? C#, some of the non-collections namespace might need XNA, but you should be able to use just Squish.Collections.

They'll still raise exceptions for OOB access or eg removing an empty collection, like normal ones would.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B_5ZkqdDFIVdWFN5Qlk4alNuLUk

What language/engine should I be looking at for an RPG?

Still turn-based combat, nothing too abnormal (gear EXP from here, super-meters from there, etc).

Just use RPG Maker or Game Maker something

does your world map includes New Zealand? apparently that is a thing that happens.
reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutNZ/

Apart from it's awful reputation- how are they as engines? (Assuming I could get my own sprites and make it not look like every other RPG Maker game).

I've heard "if you want to do basic shit, use it. If you want anything beyond the norm, use anything else." for RPG Maker.

And Game Maker demands a hefty cut of what you sell, not to mention the only decent thing made in it is Memetale.

How true is that?

unity?

Unity is not a language, it's an engine. C# is the language it uses.

is C# a shit language?

C# is pretty robust. It's basically Java that isn't shit

no wonder le fantabulous game is going to be the greatest unity game in existence

You can also use JavaScript if you prefer :^)

I'm proud of you, user. I genuinely thought this game looked like shit when you first started posting about it. It looks cute and fun now. Good job.

I have never actually seen this before. Ripped assets aside, this could have been legitimate fights if they were polished.

I guess presentation really is everything

explain this shit to me
touhou has fucking nendoroids
while mineycrafta has YOUTUBE HEROES

Because they both focused on making their games fun for a certain audience.

This example is kinda shit but it goes where it needs to. Next I need to implement floodfill, so I can use it with vision and lighting, then I can really get into the meat of things

notch aimed at "2006" Holla Forums
now im scared that if i make a game centered around the taste of "currentyear" Holla Forums and /tg/ im probly gonna fuck up real bad

Please stop spoiling every post

wh-why, user~~~?

Got you covered.
I'm pretty sure this map is based on sattelite imagery so it would be hard not to include.

Not true, you just need to break it down to very simple blocks and realize what can be done with them. eg. if you can get a box that you click open another box congratulations you have the beginnings of a menu / inventory.

If you look at it as all of nothing you will be daunted by how much you need to do but if you set lots of tiny goals you can see your progress.

>Found a subtle bug in my heap sorting because I forgot to flip a fucking > to a < while copy pasting
>It took me 0.3 hours to fix

>scuttle bug

Pretty much.
RPG Maker is great if you've got a story to tell but not much idea for gameplay. A lot of Japanese indie games I enjoy were made in RPG Maker, but in terms of gameplay they generally boil down to top-down adventure games.
Which is good if you go for that kind of thing, but if you want actual gameplay it's definitely better to go somewhere else.

I suppose there's probably some good custom RPG battle engines for it as well, but I tend not to play true-blue RPGs so I'm not familiar with them.

Does anyone have that RPG Maker story where a guy wanted to program a functional clock in the game, so he had to do several thousand checks for every single hour and minute because it wouldn't work otherwise?

I've had silly shit like that too.

That's my biggest issue with code.
I get frustrated easily, and when you don't know the language it's doubly frustrating you can't even work out what's wrong to tackle the issue. Then it's silly shit like an extra space or a miss-spelt word.

It drives my blood pressure up. Is coding not for me? Do I have to have a masochistic joy for "puzzles" to solve?

You could always cheat, it's working for me.

unless you can work with people, it doesn't matter whether it's "for you" or not, you just have to do it. i'm in the same boat. I hate working on music and I'm mediocre as hell at it, but I'll never actually work in a team of people so I have to do it anyway.

"Visual programming" shit like Kismet is great if you need minor shit (a light flickers, so the texture on the light object changes, as well as the light emitter toggling, as well as any buzzing from it being on), but fuck making a whole game in it.

Don't feel bad man.
Show off your work more and maybe a musician will step forward. Hell, ask for one.
Do it solo if you can, but don't be afraid to ask around for help.

I had a nap because I couldn't figure out this problem of using my PQ.

Related code.

Thinking it might be in the heap logic, though.

I just want to get a couple of games working before dealing with learning C++ for optimization. This way I can at least use the code produced by UE4 as a reference when making changes to it.

Are the sweaters real?

Sweaters are the best.

Looks like 18 was wrong. It occurs only in 4, 9, 19, which are all on the rightmost column. I have checked and rechecked bounds.

I rewrote the vList.Contains and pq.Contains into a bool flag, and n2 (check to the right) reports these elements as NOT being on the list/pq when they clearly are

Didn't realize /agdg/ had a thread outside of the board

Any webpage designers want to collab on a thing?

Fuck, turns out the GetEnumerator function wasn't properly offset, despite the Contains function being correct

The book I implemented it from uses an array in a tree-like manner, letter you navigate up nodes by doing [index/2], or down nodes by doing [index*2] or [index*2+1].

However! This only works if the array is NOT 0-based, so they use element 0 as a sentinel/padding to offset things. If it is 0-based, then you have to go down a node with [index*2+1] or [index*2+2], so they ostensibly padded it to save an addition operation on every enqueue/dequeue operation… it adds up, but the offset fucks me every time

In the unity 5.6 beta the vulkan backend is integrated.
There's currently support for windows, and linux (couple negligible others too).
blogs.unity3d.com/2016/12/13/unity-5-6-beta-is-now-available/

Also, mac just got support for compute shaders which is huge (now, u can use dx11/openGL compute shaders for windows, linux, and mac).
Hopefully more devs will pounce onto the chance to utilize gpgpu due to better support all around.

You do not need to stop the thread for every update, and doing so entails unneeded overhead (however, use my advice to get it working, and after u get it working; use my advice to optimize it).
It can run on its own, parallel to the main thread, and it can handle it's own manualResetEvent; if you PASS it to the thread.

When you use "resetevent.Set()" you're setting the waitHandle to be true; i.e. finished.
You will need to either reset it (resetevent.Reset()), or use the constructor to set it to: = new ManualResetEvent (false).

Because it's not supposed to be running.
The thread is signaled as "finished", and thus shouldn't need to wait; fix this via above.

confirmed, here is your issue…
I'd recommend to have any of these in a non-local array (defined outside of the function), and re-use them; however, you must define it's value back to false AFTER using resetevent.Set(); as when it's (true)/.Set(), it's been signaled as "finished".
You can do this via resetEvent.Reset(), but, that entails overhead compared to just doing: resetEvent = new ManualResetEvent(false);
I've benchmarked it, and it's way faster to use the constructor.

OPTIMIZING THAT SHIT
What you want to do here is run that shit parallel to the main thread, right?

To do that, you need to keep that resetEvent in a non-local array, and thus you can check it next frame.
Also, let the thread handle setting its own manualResetEvent (pass it TO the thread), and when it's finished; the thread itself can signal it's finished with: resetEvent.Set().
Each frame, all you need to do is check if the thread has used said set method, and thus if it's finished.
Via, WaitHandle.WaitAny(resetEventArray, msTimeToWait)
Here you're waiting for any thread to signal it's finished (resetEvent.Set())
The msTimeToWait var is the amount of time the mainThread will wait, before continuing, if no thread signals it's finished
Via this, the thread will run PARALLEL to the main thread.

Save this for later… and to get a heads up on anything else u might've missed:
docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html

Made this illustration to show off my problem elsewhere
It's fixed, but maybe someone might appreciate it

Looking for some generic fantasy creatures. Possibly big powerful monsters in the vein of minotaurs and shit like that.
You guys got any ideas?

download any of the DnD monster manuals, and the various expansion books concerning races/monsters.

fuck that's a good idea

Check out 2e's monster manual. It has a section on ecology and habitat for every monster, so you know it's personality and how it fits into the game world.

With 3rd+ or Pathfinder, you just get a descriptive intro paragraph, and a block of combat stats

made an in-game sprite (right pic) version of a portrait character i drew once (left pic), but it doesn't look too great, and i can't put my finger on why. any ideas on how to improve it?

While I agree that it's a trivial thing to do, for a collection class that would be used everywhere, it's worthwhile to do. Plus it's a book about data structures and algorithms; such things are important in that context.

It looks like she has inverse tanlines around her bikini area

that one pixel on the upper eyelashes and using black instead of brown is really important to giving her eyes more of a friendly look.

Legs are too short, hips are too low, making her feel bottom heavy. The snatch seems too wide because of shading; consider making the blushing part thinner. The arms don't feel like they curve around the body properly, probably due to the inside line being straight.

Also consider a softer, but still dark outline

that's a lotta monsters

shading looks like 5'oclock shadow for the face… maybe make it a bit taller/wider as to fit in slightly more detail (proportions look off).

Might wanna play Violated Heroine to get an idea on how you should make that

Why is the pic in OP so small?

why even fucking live.

Because I copied and pasted it from google images, fight me

Experimenting with true first person.

Camera affixed to the head, projects a point onto a surface and the animation is adjusted to it. Eyes look at it, the head bends somewhat towards it.

Hoping to get it to the point where you can bend over and look behind you, between your legs.

I don't know how.

See

Have you even tried to use it? The shaders and animation systems all use it, pure C++ is slightly faster but you can nativize the code to C++ once the game is up and working.

Besides, most indies just make walking simulators anyway.

Anywhere I can get inspiration for unusual and creative spell effects? Not necessarily silly, but just things you don't see very often, like Conjure Mundane Item

I have 2e and Pathfinder D&D books already

Gurps: Magic and Gurps: Powers go pretty extensively into ideas for creating spells and abilities, and even improvised magic.
Powers is more oriented towards superheroes or creatures with intrinsic abilities, but they note that it's not actually that hard to treat those abilities as spells.

Shit, now I'm stuck because of dumb naming things again

>Grid is an object that contains a T[] and a Rectangle, basically giving it an X/Y grid-like semantic
>Need to make a specific Grid implementation to be used for a lightmap or a heightmap, which contains overloaded ops for addition of other grids or floats

Neat. I really need to fix my rig before I can do anything like that.

well FNA does exist as an open sauce reimplementation of XNA, so I guess that could also work?
fna-xna.github.io/

While not ideal, I could definitely just make an extension method for Grid that acts like overloaded operators… might just do that.

No, this doesn't work either… It should be included natively as part of class, that's the point. Maybe something like

>Grid (base)
>Grid : Grid (more derived)

Although I've always treated non-generic as "more basic" than generics

Do you think a game could still sell if the music/soundtrack was solely Electronic wank like embed related? Because while I'll forever put more 'abrasive' vidya under freeware or something like a 2bux paywall, an actual 'commercial' product will obviously have higher standards for most people.

Could work, but sound/audio is often a forgotten aspect of devving, and it really makes your game pop with juicy polish.

Look at Hotline Miami, for example, embed related. It has that sort of abrasive feeling, but its HIGH ENERGY, it suits the game. You're pumped.

I wold love a game with music like that so long as it fits with the theme, but I'm also a sucker for electronic wank so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

I've been coding for a long time and what helped me reduce the number of bugs I encounter due to typos and syntax errors was to adopt a style-guide and be very disciplined about sticking to it. If you don't know what a style-guide is, here are a few examples:

Bjarne's Style Guide: stroustrup.com/bs_faq2.html
Apache Mesos Style Guide: mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/c -style-guide/

I'm including these merely to be illustrative. Which ever style guide you choose or develop on your own for your language of choice largely doesn't matter. What is important is that you stick to it. Diligently edit your code as you write it to conform to your style guide and you will make fewer errors.

man, perturbator is a fucking genius, every single track is amazing

yes i know about the gex video and i hated him for that, but his music just too good

It is at this moment I realize my naming convention may need adjustment

Also I made this template a few threads ago if there's any isometricfags out there

What video?

Well, it took all day, but I finally got my Grid class completely implemented.

It wraps an array of T[] with a Rectangle to give it bounds information, so I can more easily perform bounds checks on it; however, a specific implemention is a Grid, and I can perform other useful operations on it.

For example, I can add two grids together if they are the same size (I need to figure out how to intersect the array indices tomorrow which is an all-day project, then I can have mismatched grid sizes added), or I can flip, rotate, transpose the values.

Right now, pic related is just simple storage and using the bounds shit to make a smoothing pass on the data.

So I heard Star Citizen is switching to Lumberyard

we may have a rotaly free UE4 alternative in the future

It's not really clear what their fees are for, I can't find if it's only for servers or if they take a cut of profits like UE.
aws.amazon.com/agreement/

You only pay if you make a multiplayer game; you must use their servers for your game. If you make a single player game you don't have to pay I think.

They've already switched and they've been using it in house since December of 2016, and it's been a part of the alpha build since 2.6.

archive.fo/g3eWQ

For the FAQ I just finished reading.

If you own your servers you can use them for free, you can't have a 3rd party host servers.

Thanks user.

How do you guys figure Total War handles pathfinding and formations? I initially thought of using flow-field pathfinding but then realized that only the formation itself really pathfinds, the single units just try to keep formation as best they can. So I guess a decent A* variant is used for the actual formations.

The units within the formation probably use relative transform to the row in front of them (e.g. row 2 soldiers try to keep x distance from the row 1 soldier in front of them), though I'm not sure how they handle making them deform and shape up when they encounter obstacles.

Look into boids?

Getting back into game dev after an extended break.
Anyone used oxyengine before?

I can't any information on so we can really only guess
But they definitely don't do pathfinding for every single unit it's probably group based and i think what said is probably they use boidian movement to keep the groups together
Theres probably a bunch of weird tricks and other nuances used though to really make the unit movement work as well as i tdoes and we will probably never know how it actually worked

Use a smaller sprite.
Draw some lines.
Draw the rest of the fucking loli.

whoops, let me fix that
(´・ω・`)

Thanks mate. This cleared up some questions.

Her torso look like the bottom of a conical flask, she doesn't have knees and her legs should be about as long as torso.

Your drawing skills aren't good enough yet, especially about anatomy. If you want to quickly do some pixel art without learning everything in a few months, get some good loli art and poses, and use it as a measurement for your outlines, of course just don't blatantly copy the entire character, just keep close to the pose outline. It's also very easy to fuck up anatomy in pixelart, in the beginning it's easier to just draw the outlines in higher resolution, then scale it down bilinear to 256 or 128 pixel, and use that as a base pixel outline. You could even make an entire character in higher resolution and then lower it afterwards, and then fix it a bit with editing pixels.

Take a look at pic related steps as a simple example of how you could produce some good looking basic pixel outlines, though of course you should edit it way more afterwards and make it more your own to prevent plagiarism. Nearly every jap artist uses the same poses anyway.
A good practice would be also get some color palettes from other 2d games and learn from it, your colors are too flat and zombie like.

Take a look at some pixel tutorials while you're at it too:
rjanes.com/tutorials/pixelling_a_monster_sprite.php
brandontreb.com/10-great-pixel-art-tutorial-and-free-resource-sites-for-your-games

yeah this ain't fucking happening.
guess i'm not cut out for this shit.

does anyone else feel like they're only getting worse at everything by the day? i have no motivation to do anything anymore, because everything i make is cancer.

Isn't it sort of conceited to think you can get good quickly? This kind of stuff usually involves like a whole fucking team of people, you'll need to work harder.

Yeah sorta, but you need to understand the following:

1) Your mood seriously affects the way you perceive the current situation

2) You're on Holla Forums, so you very likely have depression

Watch this video - and make sure to no longer pay so much attention to your internal drama queen.

i mean, i've been at it for years at this point. you'd think at some point, i'd get at least adequate at it. but really, i basically have to throw away everything i ever learned because everything i learned is garbage. my code is disgusting and inefficient, my sprite work is absolute garbage. everything, really.
that's what i mean when i say that i'm not cut out for this shit. i have no patience, i hate myself every time i mess up and i will never, ever be able to work with people.

stop being such a bitch and get over this, and work to be better. This isn't fucking tumblr you whiny faggot, if you hate yourself deal with that shit. Who comes on a gamedev thread to talk about their feelings? You're game isn't the only thing you need to work on.

Fuck off. You need to be in tune with your feelings to be a healthy worker, and unless you're a healthy worker you won't be able to make your game.

He's seeking reassurance, not pity.

That's called perfectionism. Look up for guides on how to help yourself with it.

Chances are your parents were just mean to you and never rewarded you for small achievements which is why your internal reward system is all fucked up.

Any one person can do any one thing. There's no such thing as talent, only a combination of healthy attitude and discipline.

I don't normally make very many posts. I posted a demo of my Castlevania like game and a survey a while back but I mostly just read these threads. But I felt compelled to comment due to this post

Look my dude. I know how you feel. I've gone through that cycle too. I fucking HATED my animations when I first started. Do you know how many iterations of my characters walk cycle I went through before I landed on something I liked? How many wasted frames of animation I did? My game looks completely different from when it did when I first started drawing concept shit years ago. My point is, that this kind of "iterative process" is exactly what defines video game design in almost every aspect, especially if you're doing it by yourself. The frustration that you have right now is not unique and I think just about everyone goes through it.
Indie development can burn you out pretty hard. Take a few steps away from your project for a while. A few weeks or a few months, just stop thinking about it for a while and when you come back to it I guarantee that you'll feel better about it. You may feel reinvigorated to refactor your code or redo sprites or something. I remember when I got burned out super hard I actually went back after a half year and completely redesigned the main characters sprite sheet, threw out several enemies and redid the tilemaps for three entire stages and redesigned the stages themselves while also redoing almost my entire codebase. It wasn't actually that time consuming since I had realized how much more skilled I had become and with a fresh mind. I'm quite satisfied with them now and I'm much more confident in my project as a result.

TLDR; you need to step away from the project for a while and do something else until you can come back to it and see things how they actually are and not how your frustrated current self sees it.

nah, you're right, man. don't wanna bring people down. i'll be fine.
i should experiment with art styles though. maybe i'll fucking get lucky and get something right.

i mean, is wanting something to not be shit really that perfectionist?
i always assumed that the whole "my mommy never loved me enough" thing was bullshit made up by psychologists and kikes.

might not be a bad idea, but gamedev is really the only thing i do in my free time. boredom fucking drives me to drink, man.
i need a fucking hobby.

user
Make smaller sprites.
Use less colors, as few as you can manage.
You will learn to use pixels in ways you would otherwise never think of.

it just ends up looking like a blob of shit if it's that small, frankly.
i dunno, i'm just shit at this stuff.
i figure i should start with picking a color palette, but how do i even go about doing that. the palette i used before is apparently shit, from what people have been saying.

Dawn bringer 32 is a decent palette for nes/snes style stuff. Its a good critch if you dont know what youre doing

If you have trouble with sprites, it can stem from a lack of art fundamentals in general. Practice practice practice. Ive been devving for almost a decade with no game or anything to show for it, but im constantly learning new things.

frankly, if i didn't have anything to show after a decade, i'd just kill myself. half way there already.
how are you meant to make anything with 32 colors.

Seriously ? You could have made some AAA on your own at that point.

Look, i have absolutely no shred of any artistic talent or creativity. It took me years to go from misfigured mspaint sonac deviantart to something mediocre, but i managed, because i learned pure theory and knowledge of art. Everytime i shade something or color something, i have a color theory sheet open, plus a color palette, and i only use HSV color value numbers and calculate them to know what i am doing instead of picking them how i "feel" like most artists do. I have absolutely no feelings for color, every red looks just red to me for example. I also can barely draw something out of my head, i always need some reference or I'll forget how it looks.

I am a fucking art cripple, one of the worst, and i could still manage, and so can you. You just need to find a way to improve in your own way, learn some tricks from other people who have the same problems as you, and learn, learn, and learn even more. Theory and understanding is 80% of the work, practice only 20%.

Hey man, stop being a pussy and remember we are here to help you. Try the tutorials you were given and video related
You can only get better through learning. And as

said, don't succumb to perfectionism. I work as a translator currently and want to re-write each small segment a million times before I decide it's perfect, but that's simply impossible. Switch between tasks, keep mental hygene. Re-do only things you are returning to and are 100% sure you learned something new
says the guy who is doing a second total re-write of his game

trying out different styles of pixel shit.

if you notice there are no black lines

still keeping those dark as fuck outlines with no value change if you want to define the outline of your character you can still do it while have some value change within it (the outline) witch gives more use of the few pixels you are allowing yourself to work with.

hey, i never said i was trying that exact style.
i've never been a fan of the whole "EVERY SNES RPG EVER" style.
pic related. didn't bother to redraw the hair.

What this guy said. The extra pixels are nice, you can make your characters look a lot more natural in among backgrounds and other stuff.

You seem to know what you're doing. Do you have any kinds of tips for animating jumps. I have the hardest time with those. I can never get it to look right.

(checked)
made me giggle.

sorry, man. i'm doing rpg stuff, so i haven't ever actually drawn a jump animation.
look at the Mario and Luigi games. they probably put quite a bit of effort into jumping sprites.
https ://www.spriters-resource.com/ds_dsi/marioandluigi3/
rips of most of the sprites from BIS. might give you some ideas.

Well your detail is good though on your sprites for how small they are. Pretty good if you've not done much animation, though I suppose it complicates sprite design a lot once you do. I can do walks and attacks and stuff fine but jumps are weird because they happen so fast and theres so much movement instantly. Almost everyone just seems to kinda transition into a tiny animation (Like in Castlevania or Mario) but every time I've tried to draw the frame for it, it just ends up looking weird in-game. Guess I'll just keep trying things till it works.

Either add a penis or add hips and tits. Right now it's a half-assed woman (tbh doubt if that ugly femlet you posted has an ass at all). How can anyone be attracted to a 10 year old boy with a vagina and pony tail?

Also, does anyone else see the author of that one webcomic?

welp, i've never drawn a webcomic in my life, so i'm curious what you're talking about.

Speaking of pixel art, I remembered that I still didn't have a custom cursor in my game. Until now!

is this what people mean by "small victories"?

More like cursory.

I think I know what you're talking about. It's the one which lists "her" imperfections, one of which is "penis", isn't it?

this isn't what i wanted my future to be.

Fixed it.

Psychology is not bullshit, and the idea that it'd made up by kikes is about as absurd as believing that the Earth is flat.

Other than American McGee I don't see who you're talking about.

Well… like any other field of study there is PLENTY of BS to find in Psychology. It's less mathematically grounded than hard sciences so it's even more susceptible to exploit than others. It's not neuroscience after all. This is a little unfair but psychology is to neuroscience as astrology is to astronomy.

No, not Assigned Male

I want to say Katie Tiedrich, but it's not Awkward Zombie. It's the other one

Plenty of bullshit, but also plenty of truth. I wouldn't be half the man I am now if it wasn't for professional help.

how do i into snes color palettes. this hair looks like shit.

There is a scientific discipline called psychology, and then there is the bullshit that Jews like Freud invented and popularised. Freud as good as ruined psychology for generations to come.

fuck.

Based on experience, don't try to solve that problem unless you're not too fond of your sanity.

going to practice making a human model again anyone have any songs that a can listen to while working, ill post the results in 2 hours

Personally I would remove the white. It's too much of a contrast between the browner colors. Use something closer to the brown.

I have this exact same problem too. Some elements are WAY darker on my laptops screen than my desktop monitor. You really just have to avoid using too dark or too bright of colors right next to each other and just hope that it looks good on everything.

embed related, I guess. I don't really know what style of music you like.

It's a fucked up world…

Yeah I have some good one for 4u :^)

r i g h t h e r e m 8

a n d h e r e ' s a n o t h e r o n e

like so?
played around with a few shades, and a lot of the lighter ones blend in too much with the skin.
it really blows, man.
the big problem is with the color brown, for some reason. whenever i draw anyone with brown hair, it looks way less more muted on my second monitor. shame, too. i like brown hair.

on the bright side, that means that being autistically obsessive about certain things is pointless.

I mean it really depends on color palette usage and all that stuff if you want to limit your colors. That does look much better though IMO.

Pretty sure modern psychology almost entirely shed whatever Freud invented.

Two rules:

Don't use pure white except few very special cases

Also don't use pure black except few very special cases

i'll slowly build up a color palette over time.

checked and duly noted.

Guess I'll do the same thing.

Psychotherapists "trained" in the schools of Freud and Jung are still at large in society, user. I know there is an empirical field of psychology out there, but it's like having physics studied in a university whilst engineers design and build based on their understanding of the Greek elements.

anyone know the sauce on these? seems like they'd be good for learning. could use some help with side sprites.

Do you plan on modifying the logo a little ? It's a bit too white compared to the letter and the skull next to "On the account". Other than that it's always nice to see progress from your game.

sauce is this thread

thank you guys here is what i have so far how does it look and what can i do to make it better,(3rd pic is the one i just made), hows the topology, also any advise on lips i had problems with that the most.

shit, really?
nice job.
tho i guess that means that i have to do the side poses on my own. god help me.
pic related, the face looks shite.

not an expert or anything, but the cheeks make it look like a monkey or something. also the chin is really damn pointy.

Something's up with the cheeks, reminds me of Oblivion NPCs. Post side-view for better assessment? Also, there are some pretty good methods on making face topologies these days, you can just copy what's standard and then tweak it for details. Good luck, I know how hard and frustrating this kind of thing is.

Pic n°3 looks like Ice Cube.

Shouldn't the feet be flat? Some curves on the body might help too.

good point
tried that, but she's a loli, and even one pixel worth of boobs make them, like, D cups.

kill me.

Uncanny

Those are some thick arms.
For a side view like this, it's perfectly possible to show off the body without covering it up with arms entirely. It's okay to bend perspective a little as long as it looks good.
You seem to be avoiding placing lines in some spots to mimic my pic, but that's not how my workflow actually looks like. What I do is, I make outlines first and then brighten/darken them to create shading, thickness, AA and whatever other sorcery a single pixel can do.

Never ever do 2px eyes with a 3px gap between them. Use a sprite with an even number of columns here.
Don't be afraid to look at my version, because there's less than a handful of ways to do a face at this resolution.

Calibrate your shit.

Yup. I want to clean up the lines a little and give it a bit more depth. I was hoping that converting the logo to vectors would help it resize more comfortably, but unfortunately it's still a mess of pixels when shrunk down to that size.

well that just looks autistic.

i swear i tried every variation pixel positioning i could think of, and this is the one that looks best. i'll fuck about with it some more later.
pic related, probably only other decent variant i could get.

1 pixel between the eyes you idiot

that's not what meant, since his example has two pixels too.
oh and one pixel in between the eyes looks absolutely garbage. it'd basically require me to redraw the entire sprite and make it smaller.

Can you post the spritesheet, so some user me can do it for you? Microtank's dev got some sprites done.

Art is already hard enough.
Why handicap yourself with limitations in the first place?

in what way, exactly, am I handicapping myself, again? really, making more detailed sprites is actually harder.

Ngons are vile. Remove ngons

I don't agree.

actually, im trying to mimic's demi-fiend's topology
the problem is that it is triangulated, so it is hard to read/follow

Use an asymmetrical pose.

Wrong, shut the fuck up.

Also wrong, more colors and pixels means more room to fuck up.

i just kinda throw shit at a wall.

never ever.

well that was a waste of a fucking evening.
fuck it, i'm going to bed. maybe tomorrow i'll hate myself less.

What graphics libraries do you guys use? I mean, for the people who don't use engines?

I've used SDL for my old project, and I've wasted thousands of lines of code on it, but eventually gave up because it's terrible and complicated. What are some alternatives?

OpenGL :^)

There's an easy way to git gud and that's copying real life.

Every time I think my work is good enough, this place reminds me that it's shit.
I don't know how to feel about that.

You should always feel the same. A manic passion.

I keep alternating between that and wanting to give up.

Maybe you just need more muscle mass.

Don't worry. Eventually you reach a point where you don't need this place to tell you that your work is shit.

I feel the same, user, but here's my work from two months ago and the improvement I achieved through several hours of work a day.

It's minor, but it's tangible. Keep at it, and you WILL get better. It's like working a muscle, but you do have to push your boundaries and comfort zones.

current state of hands

Oh, right, I forgot, is there anyone here willing to help me out with my Unreal blueprint that just doesn't seem to work for no tangible reason? It's not too complicated, I just can't tell why it doesn't work.

same boat, but was on mobile… browsing at work is a no-go when there's unspoilered nude lolis everywhere…

Second pic could almost pass as a "stylized" clone attempt of Runescape portraits

Fucking boneitis

Well post your issues you faggot

Why boneitis?

This is supposed to move my characters eyes, head, upper body and lower body in stages, as you look around - for the purpose of making a proper true first person.

Only the eyes move, and I have no idea why.

Here's the rest

Come on, the mass of bent fingers (even if they're correct) doesn't resemble this?

Also I'm no expert, but I'm going to assume some kind of animation changes aren't being propagated forward properly

It would, if they weren't properly posed. Isn't boneitis supposed be a joke about fingers being incorrectly bent? I dunno

Also thank you.

Holy fucking shit

I'm getting to the point where I actually have to make graphics for my 2D action-platformer.

I've done the code, I've made pretty much every object and stuff for level 1 and I can't put it off any longer.

How do I motivate myself to start making shitty art and multiple animations, many of which I will have to re-do? It's seriously the worst part of devving a game IMO.

I've decided to make a 4x because the genre embodies practically everything I love in a game, however I don't know what kind of setting I want it to take place in. I was either thinking high fantasy or sci-fi because of either settings flexibility. I guess I'm blogposting this to see what /agdg/'s thoughts are on either setting and to call me crazy for trying to make a 4x

My mind-set right now is less than some of you guys.
Even if I understand the code in a reasonable amount of time, I know I'm not gonna be able to do sprites or music worth a damn. I need someone else to make my game (and if you work with other people, it becomes their game as well, so you have to find a mirror image of yourself or compromise).
Not to mention I'm selling a /tg/ style game with my uncle out of desperation, but the more realistically I look at shit, the more fearful I get.

Assuming I somehow earn money to live, I'm not gonna have enough time or connections to study & make what I want to make. Be it games or a story through any format.

I don't want to be another RPG Maker game using default assets.

How do I get more positive about this?
I can encourage others that they'll find people to help them easily enough, I just can never see it happening to me.

You probably have something much different in mind, but I made this a while back and I'm not using them.

You had some early projects right?
Did that code work first time? Fuck no. It was awful. Either it didn't work, or it worked in the worst way possible.
But you fixed it. You modified it, until it did work.

Same goes for sprites.
You might will have to look up advice online how to do it right.
It'll look like shit and won't fit.
Then it'll fit, but look like shit.
Then you'll make it look good, and it'll fit.

One of the Loony Tunes animators said "everyone has 1000 hours of being awful at something in them. And they should get them out as soon as possible."

This is the first mile you run when you're out of shape.
This is the night you lose your virginity.
This is the time you fought back.

You'll feel like you want to puke. You'll feel humiliated. You'll be knocked on your ass.
You'll feel like giving up.
Don't.

Remember how hard coding once was to you? Where are you now?

The hardest part of most things is starting out.
But you'll only have to do it once.

I should note that the terrain was made from google image shit; the rivers and coasts are original, however

Thanks user. You're absolutely right. I'll get to it first thing in the morning.

And good luck on your game as well.

After staring at this for half an hour I realized that I am fucking retarded and I've been SETTING DELTA AS ROTATOR INSTEAD OF ADDING THE DELTA TO THE ROTATOR

Your realization made me happy, thanks user!

I like seeing these "My god, now I see!" posts.

I'm glad I made you happy. Time to figure out what the fuck is causing this shit right here

decided to mess around with a Paper Mario 64-esque art style.
whipped this up in a few hours.
her hair looks like a fucking helmet, i know. too tired to fix it now

hey AGDG

i have not posted in the threads for about a week but

this is my progress on the new game ;]

please download a.cocaine.ninja/ddkwcg.zip

Working on first "real" true first person. Gonna need lots of tweaking but I'm kinda liking this.

Her boobs looks deflated

I want to tank you for being a massive faggot earlier, you remembered me of my old self and made me get up and just like make game again.

What are you making?

Time to add vr support but still leave head movement to mouse only for maximum discomfort. Besides the clipping, it looks groovy.

Wow we're almost at autosage already

I use sfml

How would you make a sandbox farming "MMO"?

Imagine if you can plant stuff anywhere and most of the game revolves around farming and food. But how would you make it so people can fight over land without making it too easy to just kill everyone? Someone who focuses on farming is obviously going to be weaker than someone who doesn't give a shit and spends all their time just fucking people over and increasing their combat power. And someone who sits around "protecting" people is also going to be weaker than someone who constantly trains their combat by killing stuff and stealing tons of resources.

It needs to be a simple central idea, not some elaborate EVE-tier MMORPG setup.

even though i hate this place so much sometimes, this is why i keep coming back.

thanks for the reminder and words of encouragement user

just make a simple single player first user, like right now i'm just making a 2D sidescroller and its been pretty hard, i'm sure an mmo is 100x way more complicated, with all the connection and stuff

I know how to make it, I just don't know how to make the game interesting.

Anyone here has a good torrent for Fruity Loops ? I need it.

https:// thepiratebay.org/torrent/14681048/FL_STUDIO_Producer_Edition_12.2.3___Crack
this one worked for me.

Thanks !

I just checked and it's full of malware.

A non-shitty survival game. The goals set are:

1) Every object is deformable

2) Non-pozzed movement system with climbing, sliding, crawling, etc.

3) You gotta carry heavy shit in your hands or using implements like a dolly or a cart to do it faster and/or more so no inventory with 15 tonnes of stone in it

4) You build by actually applying deformations to material you gather

I’ll be adding internal organs, skeleton to the character, as well. Those will act as vulnerable points on the players’ bodies - and will be an integral part of the way I’d like to handle players’ health - mainly through their vitals.

Shoot a guy in the leg 40 times, and they might die due to blood loss (or shock, but fuck that, it sounds like a terrible mechanic in a videogame), but eventually, if you bandage them up and stop the bleeding - they will be just fine. Shoot them in the heart and they'll be unconscious in 20-30 seconds.

This should ultimately result in better, more skill-based combat. It never sat right with me that a character could ever die of a single shot to the foot.

Of course this includes shit like live dismemberment. I already have an idea on how to heal it without it being too dumb, since if I dont people will just kill themselves to respawn with an intact body.

He would probably have a swiss cheese/almost emputated leg.

Well yeah I did say live dismemberment is planned

Who's making this, and how can I make sure I'm notified when it's done?

There are four ugly spots there that could be fixed just by spinning a single edge.

I got a zip of it somewhere, i can post it in ~ 8h.

Not sure if viruses, never gave me issues. Not allowed to torrent atm, my isp sent me too many notices so im laying low for a while, fucking copyright

Use the blender tri to quad function, it doesn't always work perfectly and not every tri will become a quad or align perfectly, but it's easy to clean up, at least much easier and faster than doing it all yourself.

Everytime you find a hurdle, you can be 90% sure someone else had the same problem and another came up with a script to fix it. Even if it's not available directly in blender, you'll probably find it as an addon somewhere online.

That's cooking user, it's part of a larger project with fairy village management. Don't think he's posted in this particular thread yet, but he did in the previous one.
Keep an eye on these threads, unless he makes a blog at some point.

He's got a thread on >>>/agdg/ too.

Thanks anons

yeah i just found that out now im using the model to practice fixing topology, but im still having some problems with some of the loops any advise?

see>>11954593 for original

Try LMMS instead, basically the same thing.

Yeah, in the same way that GIMP is "basically the same" as Photoshop.

A new side project for a jam, started some 20 hours ago. I have around 9 days left.

I hope my dear friend delivers on that inventory system

Progress in Speebot today: added random seagull noises, made a new ocean ambience sound, added some sounds to screen transitions and tweaked some general juice, but most importantly I've added an effect I've only seen implemented in C&C Generals before - cloud shadows.

This is a very subtle effect, where every visible surface has visible slowly moving cloud shadows. It's so subtle that my screen recorder doesn't pick up the effect, but the clouds are visible on the screenshots. Might tweak it a bit more, but so far I'm really happy with it.

I bought a mini whiteboard for $5 today. Its a little smaller than A4 paper. Maybe itll be useful

benefit of working in retail, in the sports/office supplies departments - we get first dibs on "faulty" items. picked up these two whiteboards for about ten bucks in total. the corners are slightly bent, iirc. they're about 90 cm by 60 cm.

I work in Walmart, but we only get 10% off, and we absolutely do not get to dig through claims, unfortunately.

for us, one of our "item specialists" looks through faulty items, sends the reports to some of the higher ups and the higher ups arbitrarily assign discounts. sometimes we get 95% off for things like "missing or damaged packaging". and as employees, we get first dibs on these discounts. it's pretty comfy. i think both the whiteboards were 75% off.

I think this is my first time posting this game in /agdg/

I'm kinda curious. What is your guys' most unreasonable dream when it comes to your vidya project? Mine would be to make a game so popular that MatPat covers it, and then proving him wrong.

mine would be finishing a game
but seriously it would be to make a game with procedurally generated story that isn't shit.

how would that work?
it reminds me of that "storyline creator" tool that just picks random words and tells you to make a story using them as elements.

dwarf fortress is a good example

It's not as hard as you think, you just need to look at things with a different mindset from the usual approaches to vidya storytelling.

Adding extremely attractive female characters to my game, getting it to be popular enough to be played by leftists and then giving out bitchslaps to cunts crying about unrealistic body standards.

right now I'm compiling a list of storyline tropes and classifying them in one of three categories: musts, buts, becauses.
i.e. you must -retrieve the seven crystals- but -monsters are stalking the lands- because -the king is corrupt and you must detrone him-

Why not objectives, conflicts and reasons

Turns out it's really easy to extrapolate things into size categories, as long as I'm okay with using 2^n

In terms of complete pipe dream?

- Finish game within this year
- People like the setting, the gameplay, and the story
- Playerbase is not cancer
- Game is strong enough that people donate for more
- I can subsist on/live off donations for a while and make another game
- Meet cute doujin artist girl
- "Oh, user, the way you set up your while(1) loops really turns me on! Play video games with me!"
- A unicorn lowers from the sky as angels sound their trumpets and I ride off into the heavens with her to program a new and beautiful world.
- Pixel says my game is okay.

are you asking me to change the names? because your classifications seem identical.

I've actually thought about that as well.
My own personal dream is to make a game with non-shit AI, but the more I learn about AI the more I feel like it is beyond what I am capable of.

NEW

too early we're still on page 11

I've been making them on page 10 for 2 weeks, fite me

looking good

ok

yeah happened to the webm thread a few days ago.
Not sure what page it was on though…

Make a game that will be more fun than programming it.

this is what i get for not making diagonal movement sprites.

is the Project Wingman guy, /ourguy/?

I had to appeal a 12h ban, thank you.

I just unbanned you because I felt it was a little too long

Anybody know where I can find a rigged 3D model of Marie Rose?
I need it because of reasons.

Weirdest little hack

Is it possible to stylize a game around mideval paintings without looking like dark souls

i, now, understand the procedural meme, it's fun to do as a programmer, i'm throwing this question here for anons to think about it: let's say i choose 4 random points on the map, how can i make sure those points are a certain distance from one another? i'm gonna do a dirty workaround that will get the job done, but i'm curious as to what can other people come up with

castlevania: OoE was a great entry

By only picking the first one randomly and picking the other ones from all possible points at those distances. If all of the points have an exact distance from each of the other points you always get the same tetragon for the same values though, so you can just rotate and place that randomly over the map.

Say you have 4 points and theyre all fixed at 100u from each other point at the same time? Mathematically impossible in 2D. Theyd all lie on the boundary of a sphere.

He didn't say the distance between all the points is equal though.

Making a proper sequel to supreme commander and having it be better than the original

I'm totally against the industry having rock-star like presentation, over-reaction from fanboys giving free advertising, and any of the aspects that remove critical thought from the consumers mind.

… But I'd love to show off a trailer for my work, and it tears the roof off E3 or gets everyone at home "hype". Odds are it'd be a sequel people have begged for.

I'd still take well explained analysis of my work over fanboyism any day, but I'd love that just once.

designing an AI which designs a story on itself, not like "and then became the villain because ", but an AI that can as well design said villain based on their backstory and description, with truly random elements and, perhaps, having the possibility to design a sequel in itself in which you might see previous characters where you played as a hero who became villains, which is also capable of designing different plot twists and… nvm, i just saw what other anons suggested already

Jesus christ what are the mods thinking.

How in-demand of a skill is 3d modeling? I've been debating whether I should try picking it up, but if there are already shot tons of modelers out there pumping out ever cheaper assets, it is likely a better use of my time to just focus on game design.

New thread, actually made on page 14 this time:

Make the whole 3 pixels per boob jiggle up and down, not just the 2 you have right now.