STAIRS in video games

youtube.com/watch?v=VYmvoE2YbSY

4 FUCKING ENGINES….. AND STILL COULDN'T FIX THE STAIRS TO ACT LIKE REAL STAIRS.

Other urls found in this thread:

seesinc.com/blog/elevators-in-video-games/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Killer7 is the only game that got stairs right ever.

what's the issue with it? lack of foot IK or not being able to climb the ladder?

AND ELEVATORS

seesinc.com/blog/elevators-in-video-games/

I remember GTA IV and V doing stairs right.

Are you retarded? I don't even like unreal but this is not an engine specific thing.

Do elevators that teleport you instead of move up/down have any advantage outside of feeling smoother in multiplayer games?

loading assets, less moving colliders to worry about, and it's just a little bit faster to set up if im not mistaken

I'm no expert but I am pretty sure it has everything to do with devs being too lazy to include proper collision detail for the stairs/animations for character and instead they just have them function like ramps, so it is not a limit of the engine but laziness of developers.
Tl;Dr
Blame the jews.

Does anyone else ever read this as:

Good goy.

He said it was speculation. Chill your autism, my dude.

I don't think so, no.

non-ramp stairs don't work in first person games, they just make you feel sick. embed related talks about that, although it's very CS-centric, you get a feel of what non-ramped stairs are like

Why are ladders always a pain in the ass to deal with in first-person shooters?

half-life 2 had it perfect with E acting as a mount/dismount which depending on if your collision box was half over the nearest platform, it would dismount you to that platform very smoothly.

ramps are lazy and look weird.
I get why people might want them on a multiplayer shooter where jolts can make a difference but in most games I would prefer no ramps so as to not risk breaking immersion by seeming to float

Shadow of the Colossus. You can trip and shit depending on how you run up them and how fast you're running

you can still have mechanically ramp stairs, but you use your foot engine to put the model's feet where the stair textures are
that's how most games do it. learn about how games are made

I now have a mental image of a V8 strapped to a foot.

The main reason for that is probably because it's an on-rail shooter. You don't have the freedom in character movement which can fuck up things.

Jet Set Raido's Stairs look like a flat texture but they still act like stairs in JSR Future they were even better.

because sega is the greatest company ever

Why do Transformers have giant lips when they're made of metal? Are the metal kind of liquid like that Terminator from T2? Is it synthetic? Or is it like a statue where the metal is still hard but it's designed with the lips? Or is the metal somewhat metallic yet flexible enough to move like an organic? If it's the latter how would live action movies portray it without looking like Bayformers overly complex faces?

Transformers has a lot of shit that varies. It can vary from episode to episode especially early on where sometimes the mouth was just sculpted to look that way, sometimes the mouths would move sometimes they wouldn't.

While the newer series never directly address it it seems like there are softer flexible metallic bits.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
IS A MAGICAL GAAAL

As you read my post you are now aware that originally Autobots could fly. That there is no explanation why that ability was removed from them, and that Decepticons can still fly for reasons.

>>>/reddit/

mods scripts will fix it