Tactical Shooters

Let's discuss tactical shooters. Remaking thread because codemonkey fucked the last one

I'm currently playing through Raven Shield for the first time and I'm enjoying it.
What happened to these kind of games anyway? Did they really die out? I'm not talking about milsims like Arma by the way.
I know most shooters went the way of the CoD bandwagon and turned into modern fps around 2006/2007, but do we really have to rely on underfunded indies to give tactical shooters a breath of life?

Are there even any projects, indie or otherwise, like that around that aren't doomed to fail? Kind of depressing when you think about it. I'd love to see a new game like Raven Shield or SWAT 4 with more fleshed out mechanics for breaching and the like.

What's your favorite game in the genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/swat-elite-force
youtube.com/channel/UC3af_Acy2AubwhTWQmYbSBQ/videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

All genres become the same if too many come out, gameplay can only take you so far after a while so there needs to be an interesting setting/lore/story there to keep playing the same genre, you already answered half your question on why they died out.

Rainbow Six Siege is a decent spin-off of the series surprisingly and Door Kickers is a good top-down one. I want a tactical shooter with as many guns as MGS 4 and JA2. Not really a tactical shooter but simcade war games like Joint Ops and Red Orchestra are my favorite tactical games, MGO 2 if you want to stretch it.

7.62 Hard Life is pretty god damn fun

I need to play raven shield one of these days.

I can recommend the original Ghost Recon though, the gameplay is fun if you don't mind the controls being a little clunky (but still good), and there's loads of content and great multiplayer.

It also does something I REALLY like - realistic reload. I think every game should do this, since the alternative makes no sense. Basically, it keeps track of how many rounds are in each of your magazines, and when you hit reload it just swaps out your current one to the one that's the most full. Compare this to a standard FPS where every gun essentially loads rounds individually, and it's way better.

Bro how long has it been since a game like swat 4 or raven shield has come out?
I'm not asking why they died out, I'm asking if they really did. If there isn't some game made in recent years that can at least somewhat compare to those.
I agree, I'd love to see something with lots of guns along with plenty of customization options.

Door Kickers was kind of fun, but (and this is just me) the top-down aspect of the game got boring pretty quick. Still played through most of the missions though.
I'm really liking siege, but it's definitely not the same.

I've been considering getting into Ghost Recon. I remember buying one of the Advanced Warfare games with a friend and playing it. I don't remember if it was actually any good though.

Is there a way to turn that off? It looks so weird.

The thing I don't like about siege is that you can't get as "tactical" as I'd like. Doing an actual breach and throwing a flash in will more often than not get you killed, whereas just trying to craftily peek and droning in is what wins games. Also the little drawing screen isn't in the game and would be useless anyway because the defenders have so many options to deny you. I think if it had a full campaign where you can kill bots the way the trailer advertised, and left multiplayer as is the game would be so much better.

There's not a way to turn it off as far as I know, but that's actually just the sniper rifle crosshair. The other guns don't do that.

Because it's too fast paced. That's why I said it's not at all the same. It's not necessarily a bad thing since I think it does it's own thing and does it decently well. Just that it isn't exactly tactical in the original sense.

Ah I can live with it if it's just for sniper rifles.

This thread is about tactical shooters, not puzzle games.

I prefer SWAT 3 myself

Fucking burn

Why's that? I never played 3

More complex and it does actually feel tactical.

I like Siege but tactical it isn't. I wish the timer wasn't so short to give room for more tactical game play but they made it more for a fast pace competitive scene. Me and my friends have won matches by literally screaming our heads off and rushing the site on attack.

I also prefer 3 due to multiplayer options.

I'd like that a lot, but I doubt it'll happen. It looks like they just slapped on the Situations and Terrorist Hunt and called it a day.
I know the game is mainly multiplayer focused, but a campaign with some additional story would be pretty cool I think.

Are there any other solo tactical shooters out there? I hate it when other people do the shooting and not me.

Holy shit my fucking nigger. That's a blast from the past right there. I used to play Delta Force 1 and 2, and Land Warrior all the time as a kid.

Black Hawk Down, especially online was great too. I remember checking back on that game a couple years back, thinking online had died ages ago, but there were still servers up for that damn game.

Does Novalogic even exist anymore? Last time I heard that name there was some scandal about them being fined for pirated software or something along those lines.

What I like about Delta Force are the projectile trajectory and enemies that only work correctly for long range assault. That makes the one hit kill system much less of an issue when you're clearing corridors.

Novalogic is ded. DF: Angel Falls is never ever.

Yeah I just looked at their wiki page and it looks like they quietly halted all development and died. Sad.

Looking a bit further it seems THQ Nordic bought their IPs in october last year. So that pretty much confirms that they're gone, but still, maybe there's hope for another Delta Force one day under them. That'd be something I'd like to see.

Overwatch is pretty tactical with how you need to learn when to deploy your abilities and how you need to control the map.

we aren't talking about Mobas, mate

Co-op when?

We want tactical with a bit of realism.

What the fuck, cops are not allowed to shoot bad guys with guns? There was a den of them, it's a life and death situation. I should at least get a compensation for trying to save my own life. The scoring mechanic is shit and contra realistic. Any way to fix it?

The whole game can be beaten with beanbag shotguns and pepperball guns, user.
Also mash the fucking button that tells enemies to drop weapons as soon as you see one, and if they move it from holding it across their body and don't throw it down or to the side, you're clear to fire.

But I like shooting them better..

That doesn't always stop them or their friends from shooting me. Everything happened so fast. Especially that nightclub level, that was whack.

They are but the ideal situation is always arresting the criminals and giving them their day in court.

It gets a bit ridiculous in SWAT where you're called in to handle North Korean terrorists armed with assault rifles. In reality they'd call someone else other than the local SWAT.

Never played any tactical shooters other than the first two Rainbow Sixes, and then Vegas with some buddies. I had fun with Vegas not sure what other people's opinions are, it's definitely not a tactical shooter, or is it a casual tactical shooter?

t.russian

Casual tactical shooter.
It was quite fun in it's day but damn have the textures aged over the years.

Tactical Shooters died off at the AAA level because it's much more profitable to make a generic military FPS and slap a known name onto it. A similar thing happened to Splinter Cell (not technically a tactical shooter).

The Advanced Warfare games are inferior, OG Ghost Recon + expansions are the only ones really worth your time.
Probably not, this was back when tactical shooters were still an experiment and nobody was quite sure how to deal with it.

I dunno, Blacklist was decent. Not very stealthy, but it certainly was fun and better than MGSV imo.

Whatever it was it wasn't proper Splinter Cell. I too enjoyed it as a fun throwaway experience but it pales in comparison to Chaos Theory.

I agree. It isn't terrible, especially when you consider they've been raping Splinter Cell since Conviction (Or was it Double Agent that came out after Chaos Theory? They're so forgettable), but I dislike what they did to Grimsdottir and most of all Sam. All they needed to do was have Sam retire and have a new guy follow him up.

I found it kinda lame. Basically where it started to go downhill for Rainbow Six as, like said, it's too casual to really enjoy ir.

The mod apparently improved the threat detection.

I wouldn't mind if we had the occasional Swat 4 multiplayer threads like we used to for a while.

What mod?

moddb.com/mods/swat-elite-force

Damn that's pretty cool. Gonna have to give that a try.

This person either never played SWAT3, is fucking retarded, is the type of person who thinks Deus Ex is bad or all 3.

And for reference, SWAT4 is the only game in the SWAT series that the LAPD SWAT refused to endorse.

Did you not read the rest:

That's nice, but it doesn't explain why he thinks SWAT3 is lacking in realism when compared to SWAT4 with its magic pepper rounds and immortal companions.

Explanation I found about that is he's a cunt unfortunately.

Yup, cunt.

memes

Explain? I think my boys did die.

BTW, I find SWAT 3's lack of gun model to be irritating. At least display the muzzle flash if they were bothered by poor FOV.

So you want one of the unique genres dumbed down to yet another generic shooter?

I beat Operation Firestorm Dragon Rising not long ago and am now playing through Red River. These are the first tactical shooters I have played, but I've gotta say I am getting quite into this genre.

Hmm, I might check it out if that's the case.
Does anyone have a DL?

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:25fb0fb1598db3c5575268171ca24f5ae92cd0c9&dn=Good%20Old%20Games%20(GOG)%20Colossal%20Collection%20-%201%2c200%2b%20DRM%20Free%20Games%20-%20October%2029th%2c%202015

Just dl the swat 3 file.

I know everyone is talking about Swat, but I like the SOCOM games at least the ones before they turned it into a COD piece of shit

git gud

Ever played Rainbow Six games fag?

Thanks for the console command though. That gun model looks like shit though.

Didn't even know they still made those.after the PS2.

Friendly bump.

Anyone tried Takedown: Red Saber? I came across a video of it by ass cancer man and it seemed alright, but it looks like the majority of reviews say it's absolute dogshit.

Checked.

was having a look around and found this.

Why is this allowed?

I remember Delta Force having the best bullet physics. Shooting through walls with guns that could realistically do that was fucking awesome.

Also you just reminded me of different game (probably one of my favorite in the stealth genre) that also used a flight sim engine: Project IGI.

God damn what an obnoxious faggot.
Of course.

Game looks neat though. Always love detailed customization.

yea posted before actually watching, didn't know who much of a faggot the guy was.

the game itself looks like it need a metric ton of work befor its ready to play.

Found this Channel wile browsing around:
youtube.com/channel/UC3af_Acy2AubwhTWQmYbSBQ/videos

Shows gameplay of the type of games i think thread related would like, a lot of old gems in there i forgot about and never tried.
Also no sperg talking about bullshit, just 15-40mins of gameplay.

Yes. They really only had a few years in the limelight. Takedown: Red Sabre was supposed to be a return to form, but ended up being a steaming pile of shit. The genre is dead.
So thanks for reminding me, you fuck.

Raven Shield does that, too. I always appreciate when games put those little touches in.