DLC

What is the greatest DLC / expansion pack ever released and why?

My pick would be Warcraft 3 : The frozen throne. Doubles the campaign length, adds a huge number of new units, heroes and items, and makes it almost impossible to play the base game any more. Truly the sign of a great expansion.

Nice shill thread faggot, there is no such thing as good DLC. Return to your Jew masters fucking shill

sage asshole. idiot

My pick would be Payday 2: Goat Simulator DLC heist. Comes with a new shotgun, four melee weapons, four masks, four patterns, a new heist, which makes it almost impossible to play the base game any more. Truly the sign of a great expansion.

You didn't sage fucking idiot, or are you trying to bump this thread to shill some more fucking kike

for shame user

Best expansion pack, tbh

what the fuck you kids smoking these days

You should get b& for being either underage or a shill.

Okay, but you have to be even more underage to think there was never good DLC

Wow could your shilling be more obvious

It's genuinely good, user.

Have to agree. The base WC3 game isn't very good, but the modding capability TFT introduced was massive and made the custom map scene the best in the business.

THE SHILL STRIKES AGAIN
Get out you shill

Damn, you got me.

Equating DLC and expansion packs is pretty suspicious.

Then you are saying that Season Passes are ok faggot? Is that it huh?
FUCK THIS SHILLS
MARK YOU FUCKING KIKE BAN THIS FAGS

ban this fags

Look at this fucking kike, bumping into an obvious shill thread. Go back to Reddit faggot

all me, I just get very butthurt when people use my trigger words like DLC and expansion packs

Witcher 3 Blood and Wine added some 30 hours of top tier content

Look at this newfag, he doesn't know that we also have IDs
Too Cuckchan with you

link

Two come to mind:
Night of the Raven for Gothic 2

Fire and Wine for Witcher 3

Fire and Wine was, hands down, better than the main game in practically every aspect. If they gave as much attention to detail to the main game as they did to this DLC, it'd probably be one of the best RPGs out there

All me

Doesn't the Witcher 3 DLC have the armor from the first game?

Mask of the Betrayer for Neverwinter Nights was really fucking rad and significantly better than the base game - not that this was a difficult task to pull off.

You must mean Blood and Wine for Witcher 3, where did Fire and Wine come from.

Hopefully they learned from it and CP2077 will benefit.

Manticore School set, it's in Blood and Wine.

I fucked up, it seems

sagy

none
Extra RAM on old consoles

Why does searching for a doom 2 cover result in google suggesting bollywood shit to me?

Learn to sage Reddit trash

Kingdoms for Medieval 2, four new expansions with new factions and elements in each one

Dubs confirm, reddits need to be gassed

Good numbers.

Ask yahoo answers how to kill yourself. They're in the right mood for that.

Because there is three movies called dhoom and they have a good soundtrack.

Phjeet, for the last time: POO IN LOO, not media.

Wonder why you're using google in the first place.

just used to it
what do you recommend? does it have cool DLC?

I guess you could say he wasn't all that wise!

Cute.

bump

That isn't how you dump fucking retaded shill.
This is how you do it

thanks
still?

What the fuck is going on here? It's like a single retarded spambot talking to itself through proxies.

Mario Kart 8 had some neat DLC. Half the game's worth of content for £11. The Mercedes DLC also gave us those ads with the realistic Mario.
Postal 2 had Paradise Lost. It's good, but different. You can't do pacifist run challenges, and it has boss fights. Neat to see RWS poke fun at other game devs though.

That sounds exactly like something that a retarded shillbot-3000 would say

faaaaaaag

This shit is so fucking good.

This isn't a game.

When does DLC become expansion? I know DLC literally means downloadable content, but the general gist is that DLC is usually small packs whereas expansions are big.

Old Hunters is up there for sure.

fallout in general has great DLC'S

fuck the item packs though

Anyways, I think C&C Generals Zero Hour was probably one of the best expansion packs, because it basically added a bunch of shit that should have been in the base game, and added a lot of fun unused content for use with mods. I'd tell a fan of generals to play it, but they probably already do.

The Sonic adventure dlc. Because this was before DLC jewing started and it added on little nice things for current events at that time.

Oh vey, DLC is good trust me fellow goyms gamers!!

Strange lad, I don't remember having defended modern DLC practices. Can you show me where I did that?

bump :^)

All DLC is bad fucking Bethesdrone, by allowing some of them to exist you are unknowingly telling other studios that it's ok to sell an incomplete product

Basically this.
Old dlc would be called a sequel now a days. The AoE expansions were basically the same size, content-wise, as Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was to AssCreed2.

A few good ones in no particular rank:
Blood and Wine
Shivering Isles
Enemy Within
Brood War
Throne of Bhaal
Beyond the Dark Portal

If it's good content and makes the game more fun, I'll buy it. I could legitimately not care less about practices.

SAGE

If the original game is complete on release and good, I'll buy it.
If the game is complete and good and has more content released that requires purchase that isn't already on the disk and doesn't break the game through overpowered units and the content released is good, I'll buy it.
It used to and my standards haven't dipped. We live in the golden age of piracy. The ability to try anything before we buy it is only a few keystrokes away. If the product isn't up to standard, don't buy it. If it is, then do.

thats a fine pick. lets not forget how it expanded the possibilities in the custom maps.

SAGE FOR THE SAGE GOD

Ooh, that's a good one. Halo 3 had something similar where with every expansion, you'd get more content for forge and better forge maps. I won't deny that some of the maps should have shipped with the base game, but nonetheless DLC adding more content to play with in a game that's already basically a sandbox playground is great.

I liked the Executioner DLC , but then again, I'm probably the only one who liked the Evil Within…

I feel like the default campaign was just a showcase for what the engine could do and what assets it had etc etc
That doesn't excuse the fact they could've created an actually good campaign while showing off what the engine could do though

The Shivering Isles for Oblivion. It made a rather okay game on release turn into something unique and fantastical, and the writing was significantly better than the rest of the game. And it was a lot of content for the price.

Rome TW Barbarian Invasion. Hordes attacking Western Empire on hard. Man defending your cities against a sea of angry asian mob was never soo good.

KotN was better.

Frozen Throne was damn good.

Seriously, how do you even get the horse armor?

I am an idiot that owns Oblivion on Steam and I never even got it in the actual game. I did fucking everything else and never saw that.

Shivering Isles is really unique compared to everything else. Nothing really beats it.

I like Tribunal and Bloodmoon as well, though.

whats with all the redditpol clintrumps lately?

Do you ever get aneurysms making these words up? You certainly gave me a headache at the very least, low effort baiter.

+skill charms were a mistake where online play is concerned

Shovel Knight.
The campaign's are not that new, but the mere fact that there are 3 of them, they are all pretty substatial for current year and all of them are completely free makes the whole package amazing.

Did you just have a stroke or are you canadian?

Majora's Mask

Bloodborne's The Old Hunters was a fantastic DLC, added a shitload of content and story to the game.

Shivering Isles

Honorable Metion:
Blood and Wine

Kingdoms also allowed for easier creation of mods by changing up the file structure. Shit is beyond amazing.

Fallout New Vegas's DLC is pretty good, minus the weapon packs.

shit nigger what are you doing

Seconded.
Also adds some of the best fucking weapons in the game.
Whirligig Saw makes my dick harder than titanium.

kys

Yuri's revenge

Not mentioned yet:
Though all but the last are stand-alone expansions.

TFT kind of disappointed with the campaign length which was nowhere near as long as the original, but the overall quality was great.

Considering how horrible Oblivion was I'm actually inclined to agree that Shivering Isles deserves credit for being much better.

MotB on the other hand is genuinely amazing compared to the dump that was NWN2. It should have been standalone, no one should even have to install NWN2 to play it.

Why? It added no new units or other gameplay features, which I think are the bare minimum for a good RTS expansion.

Possibly the best atmosphere in any RTS ever. Shame that they ditched the multi-path campaign stuff though.

Doesn't add a ton of content but holy shit the bosses it added were top tier. I don't think any videogame boss has topped Artorias yet, at least for me.
This one is pretty obvious, Oblivion's biggest issue was being in a boring generic setting and this was a direct answer to that. Of course it didn't fix the second biggest issue, level scaling, but whatever.
Like AotA it doesn't add too much content but the bosses are fantastic. I have a hard time picking a favorite between Ludwig, Maria, and Orphan but I'd usually choose Ludwig because of the mid-fight music cue.

Yuri is master. I am but a student.

Nigger, what the fuck are you smoking?

You reddumblr polaggot fascicommie.

Did you think I was referring to Shivering Isles? I was only referring to vanilla Oblivion.

Senran Kagura 2's Busticated DLC, because titty loli

10/10

Oblivion's biggest problem weren't the bland environments, that's what I meant.

Postal 2's Lost Paradise Expansion Pack but that's not to say the weekend dlc isn't garbage.
Although this is more of a patch, but this is pretty good

Come to think of it, I don't really play many games with expansions / dlc other than Wipeout Pure/Pulse which you can't get anymore, Duke Nukem which you can't get digitally unless you get random keys for atomic/megaton editon on gog/steam resepectively and Doom with Final Doom.

Expansion packs made sense because back in the day the difference between Video Game 1, 2 and 3 was usually quite obvious. Graphics were better and they used a different engine. So if you made more content with the same old engine, they just turned it into a Video Game 2: Expansion Pack. These days when cawadoodie 5 and 8 arr rook same the whole idea of an expansion pack is kind of obsolete. Might as well call it a new game.

In terms of raw quality, I would say BG2's Throne of Bhaal. Not as good as the base BG2 but still a hell of a lot better than most full games.

In terms of sheer improvements to the original, I'd give it to Civ 5's Brave New World. It lifted the game from "fucking unbelievable piece of shit who even signed off on this" to just "awful."

Trine 2: goblin menace

DEBATE ME

This.

What? There were 3 full campaigns and a diablo style ARPG vs 4 full campaigns in the original. Nowhere near as long is a bit of a stretch.

This.

the f-zero 64DD expansion

to think that if nintendo had got their shit together with the 64DD, we could have had DLCs years before the horse armor

Well then you should probably put what you do think its biggest problem is in your post.

100+ dungeons that played like some kind of random map generator built them. That's fine for games like Diablo. For games like Oblivion, you ideally have crafted dungeons with some semblance of good level design, with unique or interesting items/boss fights etc rather than just generic cookie-cutter throwaways.

When I first played Oblivion I was blown away by the scale. Digging deeper though, I had a sickly feeling that the game was broad but with the depth of a puddle. Skyrim was even more guilty of this.

Idiot.

WC3: 32 missions (34 if you count the tutorial ones)
TFT: 22 missions + Rexar campaign.

I'd say that's a significant decrease in size. Especially when the Rexar campaign was kind of lame and wasn't even finished until half a year after release. ARPG campaigns of way higher quality have been created by the community with custom skills and AI and stuff to do other than simply A-click with OP heroes.

Plenty of big problems.

one of my favorites that I totally yarr'd

These are all entirely legitimate complaints but I personally take more issue with the generic setting, but I sort of lump the lore breaking aspects with that too and play without quest markers, a mod that removes level scaling, ignore the main quest, and have a mod that lets me kill everyone. The thing that mods never fixed but SI did was the generic setting (though SI arguably raped the lore even more).

Noone has ever been able to fix the magic/alchemy system but at least they weren't as shit as they were in Skyrim.

Come on man, even by your own admission it's a decrease but not 'nowhere near the same size'.

Thing is, you're still wrong. There's a secret map in TFT and mission 7 of the undead campaign is split into 3 maps. Also, you might not like the Rexxar campaign (I loved it) but that was like 4 fuck huge maps with loads of sub maps, so was at least equivalent to a 6 mission campaign.

TFT is therefore about the same size.

2/10

Is your attention span so short that you can't even get through an entire sentence?

Is a 4' person nowhere near the same size as a 6' person?

The secret map was a dumb gimmick that any TD mapper could have whipped up in half an hour.

As for Mission 7, look how small those maps are. The whole thing is clearly split as a way to depower Arthas each time, not because they deserved to be separate maps. UD7 1-3 combined would be about as big NE3. And in general I'd say that the UD campaign maps were by far the weakest gameplay wise compared to the NE/Human campaigns.

But as a campaign it was a zero effort thing. Just plop down a bunch of respawning creeps and presto. And they put even less effort into Acts 2 and 3 even though they spent half an extra year of development time on it.

No, they're both roughly people sized. An ant is nowhere near the same size as a person. A person is nowhere near the size of a building. If you're seriously arguing that you can use 'nowhere near the same size' in relation to expansion content that adds at least 50% again onto the base game, then you're a fucking idiot.

It was still content

So counting maps aren't a good barometer now?

So? It's still content.

This goalpost shifting from you is making me dizzy. I don't care about your perception of the quality of the content. Fact is the expansion is an equivalently sized games.

If I say someone is nearly as tall as someone else, I'm thinking roughly 2-3 inches difference in height. If I say someone is no where near as tall as someone else, more than a foot counts easily.

If there are both less maps and many of the maps are lower quality with less content, then yes, that counts as one game being shorter than the other.

Play RoC and TFT on Hard all the way through and time yourself. You'll clock in something like 15 hours +/- an hour or so on both. They're roughly the same length. Don't be such a turbo-autist.

All these idiots ranting about DLC/expansion pack.
Neither of these terms are solid. Nobody says expansion pack anymore because of digital distribution all of them effectively can be classified as DLC. You are not bitching about right thing. Bitch about problems DLC have, not about Expansion packs being called DLC.

Also Frozen Throne and Night of Raven. In near future I might say Path of Exile:Fall of Oriath but it isn't out so I am waiting to play it.

6 brand new acts of never before seen exiles and enemies to one-shot you from off-screen!

I'm looking forward to it too, but the balance is going to be fucked for a while.

There's a shitty shack right outside the imperial city before the bridge.

C&C Generals: Zero Hour