Hacking game

Im making a short linear game about hacking the FBI. Help me decide some shit.

Overall story is your autismo brother gets caught trying to hack the gibson while looking for evidence of a fake news conspiracy theory. A political appointee at the FBI decides to make an example of him, and try and turn him into an informant by leveraging massive jailtime if he doesn't turn on his hacker collective. Being the turbosperg that he is, he doesn't grasp the deal he's being offered, so its just a matter of time before the feds crack his HD encryption and have their evidence.

You have to round up a crew to hack into the FBI datacenter and delete the evidence against your brother BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

I need some ideas for side missions that you'd have to do to recruit a hacker onto your team, and what hidden motivations would they have?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/cSGFqJb5
vestigial.itch.io/deeplink-demo
soundcloud.com/strohfielt-1/surveillance
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Make it so you can recruit faggots from imageboards by placing cryptic cicada tier shit.

Its cliched as fuck, but have someone contact you from the inside wanting to help, and have branching paths depending on your actions.

Okay, got an annoying,"FOR TEH LULZ" meme-spewer

Even more cliche is the balding middle aged bureaucrat who is disgruntled that he was passed up for promotion. Got him

I'd have three or four options for recruitment, but you can only pick two of them. Obviously there would be some cross-over in talents, but each one would have specific quirks and talents that the others don't, or aren't very skilled with. Each of their strengths is offset with a weakness.
i.e One of them has done contract work for the FBI, but he's only a mediocre hacker at best, so you do one or two minor hacks on other targets to build his skill and confidence (maybe you could have a counter for how developed he is, and if it's not enough when you go to do the main hack he loses his nerve.)
Another one could be able to physically infiltrate the FBI to steal info prior to the hack, but he's only successful if you're able to assist him remotely and you need to have at least one other good hacker with you, or he gets captured/fails.
I don't know if it's relevant at all, but there was a show on Australian tv a few years ago about a journalist and his autistic/aspergers hacker brother, on a good behaviour bond and being semi-blackmailed by officials because of it, who uncovered a conspiracy about nuclear weapons. It was called The Code.

in the trash it goes
hacking games are best when you aren't constrained

Hacking games are fucking gay, all you do is find passwords and then fill them in before the time runs out

Her, maybe? Could a raspberry pi fit in her bun? It could be, pre-infiltration you have to hack in and insert a visitors pass for her, then while shes in unlock a door, then afterwards wipe the security footage, standard stuff

Is this what you're talking about with the show?

I'm working on another hacking game thats nonlinear but its fucking hard. I want to do something "easy" to build up attention for the "real" game. A lot of the hacking games are p garbo for the reason you say, but that just means the audience is willing to accept something rigidly linear

3/10 bait, you made me reply

Yeah, I was imagining a sequence where you have to precisely disable alarms and security while the person goes through. Maybe they could be some kind of forgery expert, so they can get in and bluff their way past guards, but they have to rely on you to allow them to get to restricted areas. And covering your tracks is a good idea, maybe something that could bite you in the ass if you forget to.
That's the show, but the second season was kinda shit. The first one was too actually, but it had a few interesting moments.

Actually I was doing something like that way in the beginning, it was more based around agents you moved around town with special skills. Web related, from like a year and a half ago. The problem became though that all these environments would require some kind of depiction and level design, and I suck at art. So the game became more about command line stuff.

Theres a game called Clandestine on Steam that sounds cool, its two players where one is a physical infiltrator and the other is the hacker guiding them along.

You're right, hacking games are really missing gameplay. Its mostly just starting a hacking program then watching some pretty technoshapes flash around until the timer is up. People seem to be happy with it though

Have a ARG hidden inside the game for a sidequest, where you have to do some actual hacking/decryption to solve. Make it randomly generated so you can't internet it.

Nice try FBI

WHY ARE YOU NOT POSTING PROGRESS IN /AGDG/, NIGGER!?

Make a self-aware joke about why do programmers put minigames into their software so that you can hack it? Also make the hack button be F

ded

RIP gameplay

So far for other hackers I've got:
The spiritual guru who convinced your brother to try and hack in, to look for evidence of the president being a lizard person. He's legit crazy, but old enough to know if your brother goes down, he will too, and he genuinely cares for his followers. You don't need to recruit him, and he doesn't pose any danger to the mission. Provides a small list of proxies you need to obfuscate your origins (his followers are required to give him remote access).

The stereotypical pink-haired haxx0r grill who loves feeling like a badass at the center of everyones attention. To recruit her you just need to do a minor hack to deface an animal testing lab website, to "prove" to her you have the right ideals. Dangerous to the mission in that she'll try and make it political (MUH OCCUPY) and drive out certain other hackers. She leaves a manifesto behind that you can leave in place to divert attention, or delete because this isn't about her movement. Introduces you to other hackers and summons a LOIC DDOS

Nice going faggot I just stole your idea.

ERP with a sperg to convince him to join your team.

Nice, now watch kotaku and the faggot brigade call your game progressive.

but user this is a hacking game for kids

An insecure asian girl in search of an identity that models herself to be more like the the girl above. Not actually a hacker but wants to be part of a group. Fucks up the task you give her and triggers an alarm, forcing a timed hack to fix things. Isn't actually a romantic interest to the punk girl, but she does get off on seeing how she can mould the Asian girls behaviour and looks.

Is your audience tumblr?
Legimately curious, you put obvious feminist steryotypes, but at the same time, you made both those characters useless fuck-ups.
What's your goal?

These are just assets I bought btw, no art skills here. Critique on my ideas pls?

Sales rep for BlizzardStressor, a greymarket cyberwarfare tool that knocks sites offline by flooding them with traffic. Represents what happens to hackers when they find out how much money they can make by playing the Government Contracts game. One of the few males that doesn't try and hit on shygirl

If you want to write story google snowflake writing and dan harmon's story embryo method (snowflake is better). Remember that in vidya story is just a background, justification for gamplay or to present you with game's gimmicks (like defend mission in starcraft is there for you to learn how to survive rush and instalation mission is there to teach you how to micro your units).

There isn't really an audience besides Russians because they'll rate any hacking game good as long as its in their language.

Actually I was just guessing things based on their face, I guess either the artist did a good job putting personality into them or the SJW ideology is deeply rooted in my brain. As for fuckups, its so boring in movies when everyone is a super hacker, or a 10/10 ninjitsu assassin, so like said, there are tradeoffs. Not everyone is as good as they claim to be, sometimes our personal flaws get in the way of things, etc

Shygirl is a hikki neet that just wants to put her skills to use, but as soon as the rest of the group finds out shes a girl, they hound her with "joking" requests for her to post tits. She can't take the constant attention and degredation and quietly stops participating.

This is fantastic

Im a programmer so a formulaic approach to idea development is nice, thanks friendo. I'm thinking each characters gimmick will be used three times, once/practice while trying to recruit them, once during the bulk of the game at a prescripted time, and then once all together at the end where you have to figure which gimmicks to use on what enemies, in which order.

Smug fuck is a cancerous "for teh lulz" meme spewer who doesn't really grasp the gravity of what he's involved with, he just wants an epic raid. Has a vast library of script kiddie tools he lets you play with, but can't keep his mouth shut. Useful for early and mid-game, but his tools are useless on more advanced FBI servers.. his big mouth makes him a natural fall-guy.

Then your fucking up nigger.
You gotta pander harder if you want to cash in those specialsnowflakebux.
Make this shit more 'progressive' cancerous and shill it in tumblr, abd send free copies to polygon and kotaku.
You're also gonna havr to make the gameplay easy but fun.
Make the MC a tranny and your good to go.
Exploiting libshits is a noble pursuit, you just gotta do it right.

I hate what progressive culture has become, its a sniping match to see who can score one on someone else by pointing out that they didn't use the most inclusive/tolerant wording. I'd like to put something in the game about how trans people are "culturally appropriating" the other genders culture, kind of like how Deus Ex has little blurbs of philosophy/propaganda to read. This is Holla Forums though so of course I love traps, but the amount of cognitive dissonance in the games industry right now is ripe for parody.

This is Chad, I can't come up with anything for him other than he wants to get with shygirl, but he's too boring and conventional. Pls helb, this character needs a background

He's a fratboy/generic dudebro who was taught how to hack by some geek in high school and that's the only reason he's on the team?

Here's the disgruntled insider who was passed up for a promotion and wants to "get back" at the Bureau. Before he'll help you, you need to demonstrate that you can get in and out of a secure system; just because he doesn't have a future at the FBI doesn't mean he wants to go to jail. He's a mid-level network manager, so while he doesn't have specific access codes to give you, he does know which servers have which addresses.

I like the idea of selecting a smaller team from potential recruits. You "meet" them all during the bulk of the game, then select a few when its time to cross the rubicon and actually start attacking the FBI servers. So if you choose the punk chick, with her LOIC DDOS ability, it'd be kind of moot to also choose the BlizzardStressor sales rep, because he provides the same functionality. But then the question is, if the player chooses the wrong characters, how to have that be painful but not insurmountable? How do RPGs do it?

What would you have to do to recruit him / what would his flaw be? Or what mark would he leave on the mission? Or is he just neutral in all ways, for if the player wants a "safe" playthrough?

Here's Frank Pritchard except he's blonde. Has a disdain for what he (rightly) sees as incompetent cybersecurity, and bristles at the hypocrisy of sloppy standards hiding behind security theater. Technically skilled and arrogant, he's intimidated by the cyberpunk girl, but thinks he's entitled for shygirls attention. To recruit him you have to hack his machine to prove you're worth his attention, but if you take him with on raids he leaves taunting notes detailing how the hacks were executed, burning some of your 0day exploits by the time you reach the final boss.

He'd constantly hit on shygirl/any girl, and to recruit him
hack some sports fantasy website or something to that effect?

lel, of course, he wants to rig it so he gets first-round draft picks, if those are the right words.
So he's not really a bad guy, he's just not /ourguy/

This is angryguy, he read about what the government is doing to your brother and is filled with righteous outrage. In order to recruit him, you hear about a hack related to your brothers case, and have to backtrace his IP to find out how to contact him, since he expressed support for your cause. He's intense and doesn't modulate his emotions appropriately, and immediately becomes obsessed with shygirl. He can offer you an undetectable exploit, but if you take him on the final mission he becomes emotionally distraught and abandons you half way through.

More later

I don't know why this made me laugh.
Obsessed in a stalker way or "Muh daughteru" way?

on the way to save your brother, you should discover other information in FBI databases, such as:

- The Jews actually run the world
- Nazis actually have a secret base in Antarctica and they're keeping Hitler cryogenically frozen
- Most US politicians are actually alien lizard people
- Western governments have been genetically engineering human-animal and human-alien hybrids for decades (see attached vid)
- Anime is a joint CIA+Mossad+PSIA project to get whites and japanese to stop breeding
- HAARP was used to cause Hurricane Katrina
- The moon landing was staged

You should also check out Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces, or his story circle at the very least. Almost every singly fantasy/mythological story, and plenty of other genres, follow the same basic story points. And it's what Dan Harmon's thing is based on.

This thread needs to live.

That means a lot, thanks user.

Intriguing! I was going to make him a "WHY WONT YOU GIVE ME A CHANCE" stalker, but "IM JUST TRYING TO PROTECT YOU" would be different… Or maybe she turns him down romantically and he tries to play it off as "oh you thought I was attracted to you? no, no I was just trying to make sure blah blah.."

I'm going to start actual gamedev work on it today, super promise to post progress here.

Last couple characters, a mobster who will sell you low-level access into the FBI in return for him getting to look up who an informant is inside his crime organization. I think depending on who you pick, their story contributions will show up at the end of the game as articles on a news site.

Also here's Yuri, not sure what he offers (overseas hosting so you dont have to worry about getting caught?) but if he helps you, he uses access to delete the FBI investigation progress into his hebe child modelling site. He would be Ukranian but he looks more Kazakh to me.

Third guy is a tycoon, he sees the power in an organic group like this and wants to turn you into his digital hitsquad for taking down enemies (the way Anonymous tried to mess with Visa after they stopped processing payments for Wikileaks, right?)

Lastly theres your brothers father (though he's not your father, it was a re-marraige so you're only his wife son). He won't hack along with you, and he doesn't approve of illegal things, so its hard to know what to do with him

It'd be funny to make an X-Files character who has to deal with all those reports. Maybe thats why the disgruntled guy is pissed off? He didn't get the promotion he wanted, and when he complained the stuffed him into a closet with all the conspiracy "tips"

I need this game OP, whenever a game has a slav I need it.
How about yeah, he offers stronger proxies and such if that's a system in the game?

Brother poppy can maybe be the money man?

change it so that your autismo brother gets caught for looking at CP

That's because they aren't educated in engineering. Think tier 2 tech support skills in sales(if you're lucky).

More believable is not that he has server addresses, but knows which server hosts what/which is db/production etc.

In fact, that could be something, target their backup server, delete the data, cause a massive failure, data loss etc. Then they restore from the tampered backups that are missing the relevant files.

Its my game, so it can have anything, including cp-peddling SERVER STRONK bulletproof hosting

It could be a tradeoff between taking money from his dad, who doesn't let you do anything too illegal (including using the Slavs cp server), or using the tycoon who doesn't care how you do what you do. The only rule for morality in the game is it doesn't have any mechanical difference, so no "xp bonus for non-lethal", the "moral" route is just a warm fuzzy in the players mind that they had to work harder for.

Theres an older couple I don't know what to do with, they're separate sprites but they kind of go together. Maybe they want you to search the FBI files to find out what happened to their missing son?

Thanks user, I'll go with both those ideas.

I know I'm posting a lot of art so I want to say again that I'm not the artist, I just bought some stuff. The guy that made them is Yusuf Artun

This is the face for him… he looks like he could be a little autistic, right?

I don't want to bring up actual CP in the game, since only neckbear freetards would defend it. I think cp-lite child modelling is more likely to have a balance of people for and against it that would actually generate an argument. But then the cp server is a pretty minor story facet

Also search for some game master's rpg writing manuals. PnPs modules/campaigns/adventures/stories usually have good writing, because authours assume that players are not their puppets or viewers.

FBI has alot of honeypot files on its computer that when accessed raise an alarm
if you click on files like "EXTRATERRESTRIAL OFFICER LIST.text"
instead of "nrol africa base 47 finaces" it should automatically trigger a counterhack and a loss of game

i mean not FBI i mean the ones that consume 1/5 of the intel budget 20 billion yearly, they almost have more funding than CIA and NSA together
you know who i mean

Thats a good thought, I hadn't considered pnp rpgs but of course their stories have the same "problems" of player freedom. This game is going to be locked down pretty tight however.

This girl seems like someones girlfriend, she looks a bit worried so maybe your brothers gf? Pretty out of characters at this point.

So far I have:
Smug fuck memester has a ton of low level script kiddie tools you can use, but they stop being useful halfway through the game and he brings a lot of attention to the operation. You can use him to take the blame if you're a dick.

Or, recruit the mobster and use his criminal organization's set of tools, but in return he gets to find out who the mole is trying to arrest him, and kills him (you read in the news article after the game).

Third option is to use a portion of the funding you get to buy tools yourself, but then you have less money for later things. In this case the money is kind of an "easy" button for deciding between two choices, you solve it without either character and don't have to deal with their bullshit, but you give up being able to buy your way out of a future decision

If story is "tight" consider old World of Darkness or Cyberpunk 2020 as inspirations. Most stories of old WoD revolves around ilusion of choice, while players are actualy pawns of higher entities. Cyberpunk is good for all hacking and shit (at least what 80s people thought hacking was) as well as some existentional crap.

disposable character; build her up in first act as a sidekick, make player upgrade her (insert little to no personality in her; she is just a subordinate like soliders in XCOM), then kill her of at the end of 1 act by big bad to give player some drive. Don't overdo her (don't make her annoying like Imoen in Baldur's Gate).

Well this took forever, but just to show I'm not just ideaguying, here's chat working with the main punk grrl. I have a lot of things done already thanks to my other game, which is why I think this project could go so quick if its tightly scoped

I like the honeypot/counterhack idea, not sure about how losing the game will be handled. More likely it'll burn one of your proxies and if you run out you'll have to do a minigame to get another one. But its nice to finally have an excuse for a beeping trace tracker

I actually want to keep it limited to the FBI because I envision a whole line of games like Hack the CIA, Hack the NSA, Hack the DNC etc, each with their own theme and critique (this one, the FBI, being about security theater and overcharging in hacking cases to turn people into informants, CIA would be about geopolitical espionage and corruption, NSA about surveillance and privacy etc)

I wish /cyber/ would get off its ass and turn into an active community again, they were threatening to run a Cyberpunk 2020 game and I wanted to watch but never did it as far as I know.

wow, the faggot was me along, brb seppuku

That's one handsome autist.

Make a mission where you hack the real FBI.

I picked that one because he looks vaguely like Gary McKinnon, an actual autistic hacker (or thats his defense anyway) that got caught hacking in to look for evidence of UFOs. Obviously its somewhat based on him, but only loosely.

I did a mind dump of what the story might be like at first, not much description of the actual mechanics, but how can you describe a minigame, really. If anyone wants to read:
pastebin.com/cSGFqJb5

Maybe if you win the game it'll open your real browser to the Cyber Command recruitment page, since obviously the person likes hacking

Pls no.
I'd only be playing this game for fun, I've no interest in real hacking.
Also that's kinda funny, you based him off a real hacker/autist, by the way, why is the protagonist's brother getting v&? The same reason or something different?

Yeah probably not, just a thought. Though I bet infosec training companies might pay to advertise in it.

Well the REAL reason the government is coming down so hard on him is because of his connection to the new-age cult he joined.

*Spoiler alert*

The server your brother attacked is part of a R&D initiative by the CIA to determine how globally destabilizing it will be when it becomes possible to insert genes for, say, cocoa plants, into yeast, and harvest the results cheaply. For example, one third of Ivory Coasts economy is based around cocoa, so what if a biotech firm came online in the US that could pump out chocolate flavonoids without any of the need for manpower that tending and harvesting huge cocoa plantations? The economy and government would collapse overnight. Or consider saffron, which 90% is grown in Iran. Would the workers there be subject to extremism if what takes them 40 hours to harvest and earns them $1000 again collapses overnight?

So the CIA is deciding internally whether to suppress research into this destabilizing technique. Naturally there are biotech firms who control the technology, such as it exists in its current form, as well as the genetic patents on the genes to be inserted in yeast that will be producing all these valuable compounds. One biotech CEO in particular is orchestrating a low level guerrilla war against the labs working for the government, in hopes of slowing their research so he can get to market before they make conclusions and recommendations about whether to ban the technology. He's the one bankrolling the new-age cult and its anti-gmo ecowarriors.

However your brother went a little too far with researching a target on his own. Rather than inconveniencing an academic, he managed to find and attack the main lab collecting results and funneling them back to the CIA for policy analysis. Since this caught the governments attention, now they have a thread to pull on to find out who has been doing all this harassment of their project. So by threatening him with a lifetime in jail, they're hoping he'll turn informant not on the hacking group that helped him perform the attack, but the cult that inspired him to do it.

So here is an idea about resource management and recruitment:
You need to find new exploits and code programs to easily use them. This is your "resources".
To attract new hackers you need to publish some of your exploits/programs, but that compromises you and your exploits. So you sacrifice your resources to get new recruits.
Then when actually hiring a new hacker, from the pool you have attracted, you need to give him some big exploit to convince him. But that is a risk also, if he's a plant, you lose the exploit and you are more likely to get caught.

Hidden motivations are simple. Just go the simplest drama writing: owning a favor, vengeance, financial trouble, legal trouble, social trouble, mental issues. Shit writes itself.

Now you've got me hooked up, zemlyak.

I like the concept, but how will the actual hacking work? That's kinda important.

OP, please tell me that you're going to have good hacking mechanics. Tell me that, at the bare minimum, you have a basic understanding of enterprise systems and IPv4.

Bumping this thing again.

Its a good idea, building up street cred in security circles by releasing your exploits. I had a similar idea with where he would brag/explain the hack, so later certain tools would be useless. Instead of it being a mechanic it'll just be a plot point, like a one time decision on whether to make the tradeoff.

Here's the Russian, he looks stoic but friendly right?
I think it will be fun to translate, it has an in-game window for suggesting edits

Shallow as fuck minigames combined with following NPCs instructions, sorry m8

This is going to be the kiddie hacking-on-rails version, sorry my dude. I have more dynamic plans for my other game where you choose whether to dedicate your CPU to running a fuzzer or mining bitcoins, but the gameplay here is going to be more linear than Hacknet even. But this project is just a stepping stone.

Messed with the theme, otherwise started on the scenario scripting, would like to give out beta steam codes for windows in a few days if anyone wants

Hell yeah, dude!

only if I can directly link with someone and punch myself to punch them

Well, he looks friendly enough. What will his recruiting mission look like?
I also wonder what will happen if you recruit him and Ukrainian simultaneously.

Actual hacking is pretty damn difficult to emulate in a way that both captures what hacking really is while being fun.

What are you talking about the /agdg/ thread here on Holla Forums is very active.

fdgfds didn't realize my code had been rotting so badly while I was doing other things, took practically all day just to get emails working again

Pic related, ignore the garbage dialogue and the auto translation (note the newlines are broken by being translated into RU, heh) but just to show progress is being made

Its supposed to be present day hacking, so no Johnny Mnemonic neural battling, but if you can get into someones email account and send out whatever you want, isn't that pretty close to punching them from the inside?

Hadn't even thought of that, the Ukranian does look tough so he must be Right Sector
The Russian's recruitment, for now he is just assigned to work with you for a hack, but if you want to bring him on as a main character, I guess you have to… I dunno, whats a very Russian thing to do? Hack into a Ministry Of Employment database and take him off a blacklist so he doesn't have to pay a bribe?

I mean the >>>/agdg/ board, I didn't realize about the Holla Forums thread
Now I feel bad for making a whole thread for my own game ;_;
Actually not that bad, I've kicked HW some advertising dosh before

It seems like you're making sure everyone is flawed in such a way that no one is actually going to be likeable.

Thanks man

What one of these looks more like a journalist? The older one seems more like a "Mother Jones" type that would write about government abuses

Blonde one seems like an Anita type if hat's what you're asking, how's progress, dude?

Thats a tough call. I'd love to have a character that is a critique of the shrill, over the top opinion that counts for journalism these days, but a topic like government overreach seems like it'd need a more seasoned investigator like the one on the right, someone with a little more gravitas, rather than a caricature. I guess there could be two journalists so you get the contrast, one doing important work uncovering abuses, the other mostly writing snarky headlines about how they can't even, in order to get retweets.

Progress is going okay, a lot of the recent layers I added broke old systems, so its mostly been trying to get things that used to work, to work again. I remembered an old prototype from over a year ago, it obviously sucks compared to what its become, but its here:
vestigial.itch.io/deeplink-demo

An update, emails seem to finally be un-fucked. All the characters have their houses, computers, and NPCs set up, just wiring the dialogue system to the scenario system so you can set flags from within conversations (declining to help the father right away triggers the girlfriend to contact you, etc).

Is that Lukashenko?

I hope you have russians who help you user, this one is terrifically inappropriate.

I can't really help you with side quests, but for motivations just take it from real life.

I do have a Russian friend but I couldn't ask them to translate the entire game, actually there is a way to suggest translations from inside the game, that then can be pulled down as an override

Thats kind of what happens to your brother, the CIA is investigating the potential for a disruptive technology, and he accidentally kicks the hornets nest

Right in the feels, it seems like with that kind of thing before there is a whistleblower, everyone acts like its a crazy conspiracy theory, then after a whistleblower everyone acts like its common knowledge they knew all along, "no duh the government spies on everyone!". There never seems to be a period where the average person is genuinely surprised.

You are going to have a bad time translating this. Even your translation menu has terrible mistakes. I know russian but i am not going to help you with entire game either, just know that google translate completely ignores the most basic rules of russian language in terms of relation between words.

If the game actually gets far enough along to release it, probably it will just have a professional service to translate it. Good excuse for a kickstarter :^)

Just remember russians are not americans or europeans. They don't have same catch phrases or your usual ways of dialect. For example there's no "not my cup of tea" phrase in russian, its either "not my taste" or "not my type of work", or something along the lines.
Also russians have a lot of their own slang they constantly use, most russian localization teams had NISA and Nintendo tier localizations because of huge slang differences between countries, they were practiced rewriting of game's story meaning since the beginning of gaming industry.

So take a note at cultural differences.

wow it's almost like they have a different language, dipshit

what a pleb noob series, you casuals really have no clue (((who))) is behind everything or would actually be worth hacking.

Even hacking couple lugenpresse agencies and being able to see tomorrows terrorist attack being discussed in yesterdays emails would make more real life sense.

shalom Holla Forums

I want this to be a whole series of games, Hack the FBI, Hack the CIA, Hack the NSA, each with their own separate but interconnected storyline. Hack the CIA to find out about shipping weapons to militants to destabilize countries, hack the NSA to find out about the latest and greatest incarnation of Total Information Awareness, and how the private intelligence industry is exploding without anyone really noticing, hack the DNC to reveal how the elite manipulate polls and selectively support /theirguy/ to subvert the democratic process. Hack the State Department to get into the duplicitous nature of foreign policy, and how leaders manage to cling to power, wikileaks cables type things.
Its not very far out lizardpeople, just how I see the world today. Even the main scifi technology in the game is a real thing, and I genuinely believe is going to be disruptive to huge amounts of the poorest populations

Bumparoo.

Any update or word Mr. Devmin?

Trying to come up with a trailer before Greenlight is kill, appreciate the bump

It seems hacking games don't provide for extended discussion. Between the dozen or so games there ought to be enough for a general

I wish I could help with trailer ideas, why not some electronical "Hacker" sounding music.
Eh, that's not helpful, but god speedmin.

How about an insanely depressed character? He's basically burned out in life and has a stupid amount of free time, but he's prone to lashing out and doesn't really get along with anyone else. He's highly skilled but is prone to just stopping randomly or withholding information out of pure spite. Would make for an interesting character. Someone who would be far more useful if he was just a bit happier.

Sounds like Angryguy

He's going to ditch you part way through once he finds out you were somehow partly responsible for Sadgirl (who he was obsessing on) leaving the group. Though he was going to be more neurotic than lashing out. But look at his face, he's got NEET-length hair, and just looks ready to pop when he finds out you're just a dishonest cheater like everyone else.

IF YOU DO NOT NAME THIS MAN NOTIM PORTANT
YOU HAVE FAILED.

His handle will be Sisyphus, because to him life is a constant upward struggle where no matter what, something will happen and you'll have to start over again

The trailer isn't too hard, its all the minor things like making a slight pause while a character is typing to you. In fact someone made some Uplink-inspired music for me a long time ago that Im going to chop up into the trailer
soundcloud.com/strohfielt-1/surveillance

Realized I didn't have stories for a couple more portraits, if anyone has ideas?

You have missed a grant opportunity to make a reference to Hatred.
And it is sad.

His name is Hans and he's obsessed with posting on scandanavian tea cozy quilting forums. Sorry, I had to, he looks like if a typical neckbeard lived past 30, but I like him

The asian chick.. Maybe she can be obsessed with cyberpunk shit to the point where it gets annoying?

but I only play good games

Of course, how can it be a hacking game without decking and chummers.

If the blonde guy looked more clean cut I'd have him be some kind of Anders Brevik mindset, "we must secure an future for […] " but I don't think that type would have a goatee that big. user mentioned earlier villains with motivation, and the anti-multiculturalism (monoculturalism?) that drove him is I think refrehsingly complex rather than how its normally portrayed by characters.

Didn't intent for them to be this green but the bruteforce minigame is back to working

We /cyber/ now.

OP if this thread dies, where would you relocate?

Terrible you should do it like this

make it an option to waste your time on Holla Forums

None of this makes any sense to me and I should just kill myself. I wish I wasn't born a fucking mongoloid.

I'm vestigialdev on twitter, but otherwise I hang out in halfchan's /agdg/

Some kinda cool progress, the browser in game is an asset I bought, but I got it hooked up so it reads from in-game files, so when you deface a site it'll show the actual changes you make to the .css file or html or even the .js. Or if you like their background.jpg you can download it and put it in your c:\backgrounds and it'll show up on your in-game desktop. A lot of this stuff worked before to an extent but the workflow was bad, pasting 100k characters into Unity editor text fields.

But the real reason for it is so I can drop in premade webpage templates and designs. In theory anything that uses html/js/css should render in game, will try saving a thread and loading it up in game tomorrow

Now that the darknet market is working again (just need to make it look cool) I'll have all the components for a trailer.

Also wasted a few days making a thing that randomly swaps out sound effect files, so each time clicking a menu item it'll sound different, as a way to test out the 2000 different sound effects, and the ones I like get sent up via the game into a google docs spreadsheet.

around Holla Forums, never scroll

The marketplace is looking a little better, and has a better workflow. Now its just straight reading bytes off the disk rather than trying to use the Unity resource system. Side note, it kept thinking the .js scripts for websites were intended as logic scripts for the game.

Theres another game about to come out called Nite Team 4 I think, they have a "demo" sort of, its pretty slick looking but you can't dir or ls in the command line. They also made a really weird (and bad) design decision where in order to uncover open ports, you tell your port scanner how long to scan for. But who wouldn't scan for the maximum amount of time, just in case theres one obscure port way on the outer range?

I mean theres 2000 assets, I have to find places to stick them all, so far theres only a dozen or so things that actually trigger sounds, so its about mixing up which assets get triggered on which events.