Good boss fights

Despite the rest of the game's shortcomings, the Mia with a Chainsaw fight in Resident Evil 7 is fucking fun.

The rest of the game's kinda meh, but Chainsaw Mia was a well designed boss in my opinion.

This entire game is a non-stop ride of awesome boss fights.

I've never seen a game degrade in quality so consistently and so drastically as RE7. Every game arguably has bad sections and good sections but it's hardly ever a one-way flight down the shitter.

As soon as you move past the Chainsaw Mia portion, it's like they gave up.

The bosses are seriously different in quality compared to the rest of the game.

Did you played on console, you fucking pleb? She was awfully easy.

Why do video games even need to have bosses at all?

Why not?

Bosses are mostly unresponsive damage sponges. It doesn't feel satisfying trying to fight them back.

Because bosses are too video game-y.

remember, after Chainsaw Mia comes Sundowner Jack with those scissor chainsaws.

The first and second fight. The third is only okay.

I think the graphics are ultimately bland and the gameplay is tedious. The fights take too long. Even the story isn't very engaging, typical anime plot with wannabe artistic gimmicks. Also, it's like they're forcing me to sympathize with the bland characters. No idea why people like this game, what's the merit?

Good bosses are like exams, they test your skill and puzzle solving with the levels main item or latests techniques. Good examples are Zelda games, most Metal Gear bosses, or stuff like Wonderful 101.

If you're not very good at the game, maybe

I think the only games with fun and interesting boss fights are undoubtedly the Star Wars Jedi series. They're fast, dirty, and can be beaten quickly if you're skilled enough and/or lucky.

More like bad, pretentious bosses that make you feel like you're playing an entirely different game that is inferior to the main game.

It wasn't very hard of a game. Just boring.

Almost all of bayonetta 1&2's bosses are good, only ones I didn't really like were the repeat bosses.

You either have no taste or have crafted excellent bait, either way fuck off.

He's just a bad shitposter, didn't notice earlier

Hell yes, the W101 bosses didn't really click with me until I tried to platinum the game. I still think they shouldn't have used that Punch-Out boss fight twice and should have ended 008 with something more unique, though.

Oh wow, excellent arguments we got here.

some i like a lot off the top of my head

So we're really gonna do this? ok
They're bleak, yes, but also have vibrant greens and beautiful views, and were also cutting edge for a PS2 title
Nah, each boss is pretty fresh, has a unique location and unique gimmick/weakness, if it was tedious you either were falling off too much or couldn't find the colossi, and in both cases are fixed with a healthy dose of git gud
See above
The story is not the main focus, and is purposefully kept vague. I don't see the connection to anime, a guy rescuing his girlfriend applies to too many stories to count
They don't force you to sympathize with anyone but aggro, and only because he does nothing wrong. Nothing is trying to get you to care for the girl as she does nothing, and wander could be seen as either a hero who is tricked or an asshole who knows what he fucking with and kills the colossi anyway.

The vegetation is washed out by the muddy filter of grey and gloom. The views aren't beautiful, mise en scene is tedious and repetitive. Such mise en scene may work well as a 10 minute climax, but for this implementation it's just bad. Framerate is crap for PS2.

Didn't happen to me.

Including anime. I referred to anime because it's a bland story.

And nothing right either. The character has no emotional, psychological, or philosophical depth. Neither does the rest of the writing. Very bland.

The game barely has any story, 4/10 made me reply

So does Tarkovsky's Zerkalo, but it managed to be a transcendental work of art.

Not even trying now, i play games for the gameplay and cool moments, not to jerk off over how deep or philosophical they are. Games are not conparable to movies, especially not a game with a focus on gameplay like fucking SotC. Filtered.

I compared it to art because Shadow of Colossus seems like one of those tryhard artsy games.

bait

Then how did the fights "take too long"? There is almost no way for them to take longer than five or ten minutes apiece unless you kept making mistakes

10 minutes is a long time when you're bored.

There is more than vegetation, that was one example, there are also the blacks blues, and yellows of the colossi and the architecture, as well, and even with that like I said it's supposed to look bleak, it is supposed to washed out and sad. And the views are beautiful, there's mountains and forests everywhere with a lot of detail and design.

good for you, now present an argument as to how the gameplay is bad

Anime has a shit ton of stories fag, just cause an anime has done it doesn't make it bad, and there is plenty of western literature too where a boy must make a journey to save the girl.

You realize the person I was referring to as "nothing wrong" was the fucking horse right? And wander does have depth, you're supposed to guess at his motivations, why does he want to save mona? Why is the shaman and the horsemen after him? What is wander's place in his home society and why does he think making a deal with dormin is a good idea? And the game is intentionally vague on a lot of shit like what are the colossi? Why does wander turn into a horned baby? Is it connected to Ico? Why does mona take the horned baby at the end?

Oh so now it's an argument? Fuck off these are the last (you)s I'm giving you.

i honestly and unironically fucking loved the chainsaw thunderdome fight. it was so mad max over the top that i had a blast with it

At your age, maybe, this game must have been before your time

Bloodborne had a lot of great bosses, I think that my favorite is Orphan of Kos since he is pretty aggressive and you have to be careful with every move he makes

I got to the boss fight and started smiling. The second he picked up the chainsaw scissors and said "Groovy" I started bursting out laughing. Honestly if there is one thing keeping me going through the game its how campy the horror is. But I have a feeling that's probably just them not really knowing where to place the horror, do they put it ironic grind house or unironic grind house? I dont know yet but hopefully it remains between the two.

As I said, such thing can only work well as a climax with short duration. Overused, it's repetitive and boring.

They're not attractive enough, sorry.

It's nothing but horse riding, climbing, and platforming. I am not a fan of endless platforming. Rock and tree climbing in real life can be fun and challenging, but in video games there's an inevitably large amount of abstraction and lack of my own view that suck off all the fun and tension.

Quantity doesn't save a barren story. I find all anime that I have watched to be barren. I'm not trying to be very elaborate here, because we're not supposed to discuss anime right now.

Animals can bear a metaphoric meaning if used correctly.

Aesthetic doesn't work like that. Plot points don't save a story from being bland. People don't appreciate Dostoevsky or Goethe for the plot points. There are those who probably do, but I don't think they truly understand the most important aspect of a literary work.

Okay, maybe everything in the game is equally mediocre.

Thanks.

I was 9 when it came out. Maybe.

i liked re7 so what do i know about quality, but its tone shifts from boss to boss and it feels intentional. jack is campy and "heeeeeeeeeere's johnny" levels of self aware. the next fight is more straight up "this is scary" and plays it straight. the next section is more SAW than anything else, etc

the ship section fucking sucks turbodick though

Pony Island. Particularly, the first and third bossfights, although whether or not the third is a "fight" is questionable. It's more of a staring contest with Azazel.

Thats a shame. Jack's voice actor and boss fight is practically golden. Ah well, now I sit in boredom while old women yells at me and an edgy teen acts like a prick.

Really?
I thought there wasn't anything spectacular about that fight
It was just run - turn to shoot - run - turn to shoot cat and mouse game where you could go in circles around the area

My biggest gripe with the game probably is how often it interrupts the gameplay for unskippable cutscenes though.

Weird I loved the boat the most. Felt the most like RE to me. Very backtrackish wish good items and lots of monsters.

Orphan of Kos is probably the best boss in a Soulsborne game period.

You can get all the bullets that are in the attic before starting the fight.

GTFO Mass effect dev

I wouldn't go as far to call it the best in the franchise but it is certainly one of the best, his attacks have more reach than it looks like, he is super aggressive and he doesn't give you a chance to heal. He and Ludwig are the faggot killers

The fight with the gargoyle from Dark Souls was enjoyable.

Yakuza series did many bossfights well, you and opponents are just tough as fuck dudes, you fight on exact rules with dodges, blocks, quick jabs and longer combos if enemy fucks up.

I generally prefer to fight someone equal in size even if the fights are over the top like kingdom hearts.

Well designed bossfights also force player to adapt, look at matador from nocturne. If that bitch can wipe your party with few stronger aoes you know you have to get rid of stupidly high physical damage and debuff his ass into oblivion.

Some good ones I didn't see mentioned yet.

Haven't played 2 yet but in 1 all of the "big" bosses are kinda meh, they're not hard just tedious (specific random window to hit or shitty gimmick) most of them are also hard to not cheese without realizing it since you're in climax mode and some weapon are insanely broken in that mode.
Human sized ones are where shit gets real especially above normal difficulty.
And then there's the final boss that is just painfully bad mechanically with it's shitty attack hitboxes and platforming segments but thankfully you can cheese that one so hard it's not even funny (uppercut with kilgore all day), although in a sense I can see why they went with an endurance type fight rather than a more heavily skill based fight for the final but still.

I fucking hated it. they give you a weapon that sucks and another weapon that sucks then throw a ton of those extremely high-damage crawler guys and a bunch of the boring molders at you. the explosives are neat but other than that it just really felt forced and shitty

Every boss fight in this game but two of my favorites include:

Go back to Tumblr with that shit.

Man I have the worst luck with people sometimes.

literally the BEST BOSS FIGHT ever pendejo!

Literally all they had to do was a Lost Planet int he vein of Monster Hunter.

All they had to fucking to do, but no we get 3 trying to copy fucking Dead Space and failing miserabily.

LP2 had it's moments

You are a 100% correct. Finally someone on here that doesn't have complete shit taste.

Off yourself baiting faggot.

MonHun is pretty much a game of boss fights. My favourite example would be Yian Garuga.
It's fast, twitchy and is tailored to fuck you over. It's literally a monster that watches how hunters attack it, and devises cunning tactics to win. It'll roar and flap it's wings at the same time, so that if the roar doesn't make you flinch the wind pressure will. Then it'll quickly attack while you're stunned, so you can't save yourself.
It applies poison, then relentlessly attacks so that you don't get a chance to run away and heal it. It baits you into rolling, then attacks where you land. It has a move that comes out so fast that it can finish the attack as it starts it, and take out a third of your health bar in the process. It makes horrible, evil noises, like a car powered by pure hate. And all this is from an oversized purple chicken.
It's also really unfair compared to other monsters, you either love it or you hate it.

That third fight was interesting. PI had a lot of neat ideas, but it feels like it was riding Undertale's hype. The devs could have sat on the idea for a year or two and released something much better.

Raiden yes.
Credo feels like he can be cheesed

yes.

Sorry you have such shit taste

Never in a million years would I have thought that someone would talk about Yian Garuga in a positive light.

I think you've got a better case for pic related or the rape monkey

Do you get off at projecting so hard fam?

My. fucking. Nigga.

The reason I like Garuga so much is because it's at the point where the fight is bullshit but not downright unpleasant. The dash with no windup is horrible, but avoidable if you see it coming. You can get around it's baiting and comboing by rethinking how you take it on, and at worst you can just keep dodging it until it tires itself out. At the very least it constantly engages with the player, which makes it more fun to fight than something like Silver Rathalos.
The Shaggy fight was good as well. I didn't appreciate it as much the first time, because SnS makes it too easy. Later on I fought it in a Gunlance-only run, and it became a much more interesting fight. Virus pools and that projectile that shoots projectiles are a threat when you don't have any mobility.

Suck harder baby… ah….

Chainsaw Mia is fucking shit
Jack in Garage is the best

The first bossfight hooked me, the second was meh, the third made me a fan, and the fourth is amazing because of the buildup to it.

More games need mirror match boss fights

The one and only thing that kept it from being the best boss fight in the game.

Definitely nice to learn, but even I pretty much got it down to cheese.

Literal the purest and best form of boss fight. Second place belongs to enormous bosses.