ITT: Original games vs. their remakes

Which of these two do you think is superior, Holla Forums?

Twin Snakes, the smooth integration of the MGS 2 controls really made it the superior version

MGS, no question.

Twin Snakes has inferior VA work, overblown cutscenes that go against even typical MGS direction, and supplants MGS2 gameplay onto MGS1 level design, bosses, etc which hilariously breaks the game. While some individual elements and mechanics may better, as a whole it is inferior to MGS1.

If Twin Snakes didn't have the completely idiotic, out of place, over the top action movie bullshit in its cutscenes it would have been decent.

Fucking kikes, someone post a link for the dl just to spite them

Not really a remake but a remaster with lots of changes.

Twin Snakes is worse because of the cartoony action movie bullshit cutscenes

/thread

I'll let you know when Paper Mario or Spyro 1, 2, or 3 get remade.

Here you go.
mega.nz/#!kl9liJJR!Gw6C74aSV8Vq6vAMDJ8nwsg1C6aEF_ydyyIzBrsJoi4

where's that pic from? seems familiar

Crab Battle

How about you form your own opinions for once.

PS1 version is fun for nostalgia but Twin Snakes is the better overall game.
If only they would release a PS4 VR Missions game with 1000 missions, mission creator, slick graphics, and good controls. I played way more VR Missions than I did MGS on PS1. Beat MGS once, beat Twin Snakes at least 3 times.

Not that guy but to me the first person breaks the game since it wasn't designed around it, voice-acting and cutscene direction are also inferior, i'm not too fond on Snake's redesign either.
I do agree with you on VR missions, MGS2 had some awesome ones. Konami is sitting on money there.

Because that's completely out of place in Metal Gear?

It's actually funny how bad it does so.
Is it any wonder why MGS2 did away with most of those cameras in favor of moving ones? The only time I recall them being there was in more enclosed environments where movement was already really limited, like the Tanker or Shell 2 core, so taking them out was harder to do without getting noticed.

The PC version is objectively the best one

Both are boring shits tbh. The worst doom games.

To the absurd anime level of TTS it is.

Why? Aside from resolution and framerate.

As mentioned, the MGS2 mechanics break the game making it way too easy.

He never replied

The Dreamcast version has extra areas that no other version has iirc. The PS2 version went through a graphical overhaul which makes the scenery much more detailed and the models crisper.

Incompatible shit.

MGS

Better everything but visuals.

MGS all way, but the PC version was better. Improved framerate and gave you AA.

The 'overhauled' graphics ruin the atmosphere.
The Hall of Doors is way better than whatever it's called in the newer versions.

Are you still living on 2006?

It also messed up the transparency effects and the Psycho Mantis fight doesn't quite work the same way

It's a pretty fucky port and it still keeps a lot of Playstation shit on the menus. Just because its on PC that doesn't make it better.

Completely subjective opinion there.

Come on.

Come on

Twin Snacks is mediocre. Graphics are great but every other aspect is inferior to the original.

The shitty VA work in TS ruins it for me more than anything else. The cast sounds bored rerecording it all and, for some reason, they were told to drop all the accents which totally killed the spy movie feel.

I enjoyed the eyecandy.

I'm not sure I'd necessary count Substance or Subsistence as remakes. Extended releases, sure, but not remakes.

I remember seeing some user once theorize that The Twin Snakes could be Otacon's telling of the Shadow Moses incident, and overembellishing how awesome Snake is compared to what actually happened.

After playing Ace Combat, I really feel like the reason people even pretend to like Star Fox is because it's the only arcadey "flight shooter" they've played, much like goldeneye and FPS's. If you know better, you're not really going to go back and settle. And Starfox has spent ages trying to justify its existence when in reality the only game people liked was 64. I don't think Starfox could survive with a new cast, that's why they never ever change it. There's not much they can do to revive interest in the series, because we already got 64 and its "Super special Ninty full-priced port of a 10+yo game." They've really played their hand with the franchise. Not even Platinum could save it.

Including mods makes any comparison pointless. Vanilla only.

Absolute cancer.

When has a remake ever been good? There's like a handful of good remakes, in anything ever

Yeah, if there's one thing I love it's hearing all the cars outside because they didn't do the VA recording in a soundproof studio

Even without taking mods into account BFG edition is still not that interesting since it's basically vanilla + duct tape mod + eyecancer visual effects + a bunch of "lost" levels even more forgettable than the rest of the game

Only counting remakes done from the ground up, not remasters or enhanced ports.

TTS breaks MGS1's level design and AI, and the cutscenes are over-the-top campy which isn't always a good thing. Voice acting is also inferior, despite retaining most of the original cast.
REmake is significantly more challenging, better-presented, better-looking, scarier, and more engrossing than the original, and it has more content to top it all off. Probably the best remake ever made.
Stays true to the foundation of the first one, but improves the Hell out of it with mechanics from Super Metroid and Fusion, which reduces the difficulty but doesn't make it piss-easy like TTS was compared to MGS. Same applies to AM2R and Metroid 2.
Divisive aesthetic direction and frustratingly tight censorship compromise what would otherwise be an excellent remake.
The 3D visuals, new content, and cutscenes are nice, but the art direction is a bit divisive and the voice acting is kinda shit, otherwise they're very similar and each have their own ups and downs.
Super Mario 64 controls better, but the DS version has a lot of nice additional content and arguably looks better.
Overall they're very similar, and All-Stars looks good, but the original NES versions control slightly better imo.
Plays a lot more like Secret of Mana on SNES, and that's a good thing.
Pretty obvious. Remaking Goldeneye with the CoD formula was a big mistake.
Definitely more playable in a proper 3D environment then awkwardly pointing and clicking at everything.
Much more playable and easy on the eyes than the dated original.
HD version totally fucked-up the physics, aesthetics, and everything else. Awful.

Shadow of the beast? it's only a digital download on Bloodbornmachine, but the faithfulness to the originals is staggering. Hell, just being able to play the whole game with the original Amiga version's music playing is incredible.

Also, the combat and medal rating system make it feel good to get good at combat.

Doesn't hurt that the game obeys the law and is about $20 with no DLC jewing practices.

I shit you not, that thing in german is one of the prime examples for a botched VA.
Especially Liquid.

fuck me. I missed out on the 64 release of that game (poorfag family who got the 64 LATE into it's life cycle), so I was looking forward to live and reloaded, only to find it was damn near nothing like the original game.

Live and Reloaded was, in my opinion, completely unnecessary. As were most of the games on your list, with the exception of Zero Mission

Keep in mind Conker's sequel would have him start off imprisoned in the kingdom's highest castle for wasting the treasury on booze and hookers. Why didn't they make that game?

but the tranquilizer, being able to hang from railing and first person mode trivialized all the challenge. How is it "superior" when the maps where not designed for the new engine?

Not only do you have to consider the difference between generations, but also the changes that Crystal made that weren't in HG/SS.

bloodborne is fucking trash.

I liked it
Are you saying it's trash from an actual "I played it and disliked it" point of view
Or the meme, "wah, it's not on PC so it's shit."

Better question is why anyone would post those three images when it's not remotely related to games and their remakes

What? HG/SS had all the Crystal content

Funny how Bloodborne is easily the best one. Yes, it's better than Dark Souls 1, and yes I played them all in release order.

Too bad Nioh is even better

I can tell that the guy who did this picture was pretty butthurt over people discussing metal gear.

It must take some real talent to make a post this stupid.

How astute of you.

Why thanks, my mom does say that i'm pretty smart :D

It's a joke you autistic dipshit.

Fun fact, that Liquid actor is working as a voice director for games and stuff today, handing down his talent through the generations :^)

Oh snap, i know where this crop is from.

Yeah, I guess you could just not use all those game breaking features, but then what's the point of playing the remake at all?

Doesn't this have QTE bosses?

Yeah not all but most.

Wtf

Emulation isn't perfect, but it is playable. I'd recommend checking it out that way.

They also ported the N64 version to Xbox One in the Rare Replay collection and it's pretty solid thanks to the improved framerate, but there's a distracting border around the cropped game screen (I don't think there's a way to turn it off, either) which is pretty lame, still a good way to play it.

The original N64 cart is ideal, but since the game had a limited run and scalper faggots have held the game hostage it's incredibly expensive now, and not recommended unless you've got a lot of disposable income.

In the original script for CBFD, Conker was going to commit suicide shortly after the leaving the bar in the ending. Considering what became of Conker afterwards it probably should have stayed that way.

I agree with the first few statements but I still think Nioh is absolutely dog shit that is unless they fixed/improved it after the first open beta

The irony is the more you know about political theory the more the juvenile nonsense in metal gear actually makes sense and takes on profound meaning. Clearly the author of this abused image macro does not know how to meme responsibly.

It's not that hard. Make Star Fox Assault 2.

good call

There's a few things crystal had that HG/SS didn't have, such as the odd egg and some of the pokemon you can encounter vary from the originals. For example, you can find phanpy, teddiursa, and growlithe before the first gym in crystal.

Micro$hit didn't want to give the go ahead. They didn't seem to 'get' Conker. They thought 'cute cartoon squirrel' and 'we can market this to children' which is one of the reasons why Live and Reloaded actually had more censorship than the N64 original, despite being on a more 'mature' platform.

Yeah, the irony is that Metal Gear is based on a lot of current political events and political backdrop, so using Metal Gear references to describe political events is actually a lot smarter than the standard Star Wars/Harry Potter references I've seen that meme refer to.

PS2 version is inferior. There's a lot of filler in it.

Doom 3 did nothing wrong!

HD remake is obviously better, but there's some charm lost from the original. The bad voice acting and blocky graphics seem almost endearing now.

FUN'S OVER BUDDY!

In that version the true horror was the soundtrack.

Original one. The cutscenes weren't so over the top (for instance, when Snake dodges Ocelot's first shot in his introductory scene by just jumping backwards in the original while TTS? Backflips like Snake's first name is Neo), the FPS view basically makes the game way too easy (they add the MGS2 controls but didn't alter the stage to accomodate for the control change) and this is nitpicking but I fucking love the accents in the original (For instance, I actually do find Mei Ling's accent in the original to be cute and I have to admit that Jennifer Hale's British accent, how do I say this..it's a bit crude but when I hear that..I got a boner

Eh, Substance and Subsistence is more like a re-release or a director's cut or something.

One of the best fucking multiplayers on the N64. Hell, it's still some of the most fun I've ever had with multiplaying in a game. How I wish someone would remake it.

Of all the things that people have mentioned, nobody mentioned that the music in Twin Snakes is absolute shit. I mean, for fuck's sake, even MGS4 and MGSV kept the original Alert theme. The only good tracks in Twin Snakes are the remixed originals and the elevator music that plays when Snake rides up the cargo elevator in the beginning.

:^)

I'm with you on that brother, at least i was able to contribute OC with that game in it for its honor!

While there is Matrix type shit in MGS2, 3, and definitely 4, it's mostly contained and appropriate to the scene. With Twin Snakes, it seems that every other motion is some insane Matrix type flip or bullet time shit and it's really obnoxious. I remember thinking the last time I played it that Kitamura's directing was the most hack-y thing I've ever seen.

Why?

If you play Super Mario 64 DS on a 3DS those control issues disappear since you can use the control nub instead of the D pad to control Mario.

Twin Snakes if you decide to break from the idea that it was told straight from Snake instead of thinking it was a retelling from Otacon's perspective. The "game breaking" design of putting in MGS2 systems can most definitely be overlooked as well. People having a stick up their ass about this is hilarious.

Demon souls is the most fun, Dark souls is the best designed, Bloodborne is the most interesting but at the same time it is so flawed that if it didn't have the setting it wouldn't be worth playing

The thing is, does it give you real analog control or does it just emulate the D-pad like other DS games? If so that's fucking tight but otherwise it's still not totally ideal.

God almighty, what were they thinking? There was nothing wrong with RE's original sountrack.

Maybe they just wanted the audio to be consistently awful and to match the voice acting.

Because Nintendo paid for it

That's a lot of gymnastics to argue that it's a 'good' game.

I tried it back when it first came out after a friend brought up the idea. It's still digital. Plus you still have to hold down a button to run no matter what.