RPG Suggestions

So.

I should like to play an RPG of some sort, but am struggling to decide what to play. I've been considering Mass Effect/Dragon Age, as ive heard people singing at least the first game in either series' praises, despite the horrible poz afflicting bioware. Am i falling for some sort of Ruse here?

What other interesting RPGs are there that i may not have heard of/considered? I was also thinking of replaying Neverwinter Nights, as it's been something like ten years since i played it initially, and as far as i remember it was pretty good.

Oh, and Planescape Torment, which i hear is stellar. Its genuinely coincidental that Bioware keeps coming up. I'm just going to pirate whatever i decide to play.

Other urls found in this thread:

autohotkey.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why not just kill yourself?
Ah yes, Torment is bioware's magnum opus.

PS:T is almost a sort of proto-walking simulator, but it's still a very good game if you're interested in the story.

DA:O is fantastic (pirate it along with all of the DLC), the rest of the series can be safely ignored.

As for Mass Effect, play through the first game, and if you want more, you'll enjoy 2 and 3, just make sure that just like DA:O, you pirate them along with all of the DLC.

I keep hearing good things about the first and second Ass Defect nigger. Other than the stupid gay romance shit i can hopefully avoid, what is negative about the first ones? I'd genuinely like to know.

Same for DA:O, Cisquisition looks abysmal, and the second is regarded as shit, but Origins is meant to be decent isn't it?

I kinda like engaging combat in my games, though i've heard enough praise about PS:T that it's worth at least a try. I had a special edition box of the game i got at a charity shop, wish i'd brought it with me to uni.

Of course i'm not going to pay for any of these anyway, user. What sort of rube do you take me for?

suikoden 1 and 2 …. faggot

wew lad.

The first dragon age and mass effect are good, all of the rest are shit and awful, don't listen to the ruse telling you otherwise.

Then you probably heard good things about oblivion, fo3, skyrim and fo4 from the same sources, faggot.

If you're looking for a WRPG try Fallout New Vegas, Deus Ex (all but the first suck ass), or some oldfag shit like Wizardry.
For JRPG's nothing beats classic Shin Megami Tensei (Anything without the Kaneko artstyle and Persona are shit), Phantasy Star IV, and Chrono Trigger.
The fan translation of the first SMT games for SNES is on emuparadise and the ps2 games emulate quite well.

Calling Persona shit is being way too kind. It's pure cancer.

I actually like Doi's demon designs a lot

Planescape is good but dry.
Neverwinter Nights is only worthwhile for certain player modules and the respective DLC campaigns (Undrentide/Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2)
Dragon Age 1 is good with the combat overhaul
Mass Effect 1 is also alright but a bit dry

How can you harbour both such a shitty opinion and knowledge of the truth of Personas terminal cancer?

I actually enjoyed the first Dragon Age game quite a lot. The 2nd one was shit.

Oblivion? Occasionally, but I've never liked any of bethesda's RPGs. I've heard these opinions on this very board, chum. I'm well aware of what makes Obliv, Skyrim, FO3/4 garbage as I've actually observed and experienced some of them. I can't say the same about DA:O and Mass Effect, which is why I'm asking you to elucidate you DOUBLE NIGGER.

Origins and Mass Effect 1 I can definitely say have much the same combat but one's more melee oriented and the other is a sci-fi shooter. Dialogue functions the same. Mass Effect is more open world for what it's worth while DA is more of a typical rpg romp. If you don't have the DLC NPCS will come up to you and promise riches while tempting you with their additional fees.
Depends on what you like as for other recommendations. Sounds generally like you want a western rpg. Suggestions: Grimrock, VtMB, Elminage if you want something like Wizardy that isn't Wizardy. Might and Magic VI is something I need to replay something fierce come to think of it.

The only reason to play Skyrim is that surrealist modlist that one user made.

user…

exact same shit fam, interfaces n'allat

I implore you to go play them both side by side right now, because you couldn't be more wrong.

First is bretty gud, second is an abomination. Biggest negative about ass effect (only talking about the first one here) is the mediocre combat with the disappointing gunplay being the worst aspect. The various biotic (technobabble for magic) powers make things a little more interesting though.

It is but do keep in mind it's horribly unbalanced. If you don't start the game with a spell casting character it's going to be super hard until you get enough levels on Morrigan for her to be able to cast heals.
If you do start the game with a spell caster it's ezymodo all the way through.

Most of the dialogue and voice acting is utter shite so don't play it if you're looking for an engrossing story.

bioware had nothing to do with planescape torment, which is a very boring game but is decently written.

If you want a very good game that is very well written, look no further.

Played them both on 360 closer to release and they just felt similar. Seems like the interfaces weren't as identical as I thought I guess judging from these pictures but other than Mass Effect shooting like gears of war you basically just alternate your niggers cc abilities while spamming attacks. Literally no worthwhile challenge to either save for the final bosses who were damage sponges. And correct me if I'm wrong but, same devs, same engine, same time period, you really think Bioware's above doing something like that user? Good and bad dialogue choices go in the same direction I believe.

Keep in mind most of the shit overcomplicated designs in SMT IV were from the guest artists who knew nothing about the series that Atlus brought on for publicity they weren't Doi. I think he really understands Kaneko's simplistic yet memorable demon design philosophy.

Nah, you just probably never learned how incredible the crowd control spells were. Having a dedicated healer isn't necessary, or even recommended outside of Nightmare.

ME is a third person shooter with powers. DA:O is basically a more refined and deep KoTOR.

Even the dialog system in DA:O is closer to KoTOR than ME.

Just go play Parasite Eve.

Speaking of RPGs, how is Dragon's Dogma? How well does it run? Is it fun?

I loved it, solid 9/10. Ran great on my 670 + 3570k, although there was some minor slowdown in the main city and looking in certain directions right outside the city (going from 60fps to ~45).

Just don't look into all of the content they cut from it until after you've already completed it or you're going to be disappointed.

i liked most of the guest designs tbh

doi is a good illustrator especially with characters, but he's not as strong as a designer imho

I see thank you, my PC is a bit worse, maybe more than just a bit, especially the CPU, I hope it will run ok. Do you need any mods or is it ok without them?

It's perfectly fine without them. Most mods are either shaders/graphics mods which you aren't going to want, cheats, or re-skinned items which doesn't matter.

Sorry to bother you with so many questions, how does it play with mouse and keyboard? I do have an xbox controller, but I prefer M+K when possible.

Depends on what class you're going as. Archer/Assassin is way more powerful when you're using the mouse to aim, but gamepad control is fine too.

For my Assassin playthrough, whenever I'd pull out my bow I'd actually have my left hand on my gamepad and my right hand on the mouse, and it was the best of both worlds.

Thank you user

Very nice. Personally i prefer II although i admit it hasn't aged very well

it runs nice and as an added bonus in 144fps, holy shit that felt good, so smooth

(only if your video card can handle such high framerates though, obviously)

I doubt it, I have 950 and a i5 3330, but I'm more than satisfied with constant 60fps on 1080p resolution, even if the graphics are set to low.

trash taste. How about you consider suicide?

This user sorta is on the right track but New Vargas is still garbage. If you are going to play a Fallout game play the Original. Might and Magic World of Xeen is also not bad for a Gaijin western PRG.

Shiggy Diggy.
Modded New Vegas is almost S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Saying, "recommend me a game I may not have heard of" without giving more information about your tastes is a terrible way to start a thread.
Bioware is ass, and always has been. Given you haven't played those popular games you listed, you probably haven't played the original WRPGs, like:
Just to name a few. Best way to find more obscure RPGs is to hunt around the internet. Especially when it comes to pre-2000, games that are most popular are usually the better ones.

I could also talk about JRPGs but judging by your OP I think you're looking for a western one

Have you at least played Morrowind?

This is good advice, OP.

M+K are okay until you get to the waggling sections. For some reason, devs never balance waggling sections for keyboards so you have to press buttons impossibly fast to escape grab attacks.

autohotkey.com/

Instantly bypass every single QTE in every game :^)

Play a REAL RPG like
Breath of Fire 3 or Baldur's Gate

But I've beaten DA:O (and all of the DLC) on Nightmare, user.

It's actually quite boring, since enemy damage is so high, the amount of viable tactics shrinks down to basically just finding creative ways to abuse Force Field

TECHNOMANCER NIGGER!