Space Thread:Lone Survivor Edition

Welcome Captains to another Space thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

please
store.steampowered.com/app/445220/
archive.is/IGSEE
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/329260-On-the-Horizon-2-3-The-Commanders-Beta-Livestreams?p=5146528#post5146528
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/live
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Defiant_class
frontierstore.net/usd/powerplay-decal-pack.html
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
eddp.co/u/ENYxwecR
coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/0pmtnFflndpsnf47l1e2m2m00000404064i2132C0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.MwBhBYCYEY2yG2KSJ6pEA===?bn=outlet store miner
imgur.com/a/e92zt
Please
mandategame.com/article/update-66
stellariswiki.com/Developer_diaries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I claim first post in the Name of the Neue Reich

third for garish colors, jaggies and techno raves

Good taste.

I think we need to Freespace this thread up a little!

i hope the X4 game has cockpits

I recently revisited X2 and I really dont miss the cockpit grafix

comfy Type9 chilling

Can't be assed to webm this one.

The lone survivor.

You think thats how space battles would be? shields/hall that can absorb bombs 15000 times stronger than hiroshima, beam cannons using cities worth of energy per second and flak cannons that would be comparable to a low yield nuke by todays standards?

It's a video game user

Sure is a lot of autism tonight.

No, space battles would be like 18th century ironclads. Ships wouldn't be able to damage each other since they'd be made of super dense space alloys so they'd primarily use ramming.

Where da anti aliasing at, fatty?

How can you ram when you have too much inertia to maneuver?

Are you okay, user?

How can you maneuver when you have too much inertia to maneuver?

Momentum. Too much momentum to maneuver.

Very slowly.

That would make for really interesting dynamics. Imagine a spaceship with a huge super-sharp blade on the front of it to slice straight through another one, or just enough to puncture the hull and allow marines to board.
Or a classic Roman naval ram, one solid block designed to cause as much damage as possible, then reverse and let the hole in the other ship's hull vent all the atmosphere out. You could also pair that with a bomb, ram it into the side of the ship, detach, retreat and detonate.
Warfare would be all about hiding in magnetic fields or cloaking/using camouflage in order to gain the element of surprise, with the opponent relying on manoeuvring out of the way, superior hull/shields or fake outs to draw your ship out, warp away and leave you out in the open for a second, waiting ship to cleave yours in half.
It would only really work for one-on-one or small engagements though, fielding an entire fleet to ram into another fleet wouldn't be feasible

THREADLY REMINDER TO ED CMDRs TO GO TO WHEEMEZ AND GRIND FOR THE SYNDICATE
You know, I've come to really appreciate the aesthetics of tech economy stations in this game. I know its just a skin, but it is a really nice looking skin

I don't think Fdev realise how much visual diversity adds to the game and tones down the grind. Or if they do their art team is taking their sweet time making more variants.
Hopefully prison colonys get one soon

Also, little ships with shaped charges on poles.

Those would be boarding barges. Bang into an enemy ship, penetrate the hull, create new airlock, dump marines on to board, hope they don't self destruct.

Thats basically how I use my Tiger.
The weapon generator has exactly 2 shots worth of forward facing battery, assuming youve got the most powerful damage per shot weapon availiable installed, to loosen on approach, thats usually enough to bring shields of an enemy frigate to zero and then ram the fucker to death with a 10-20% shield loss on impact.

Shit is cash.

The Tech Room numbers are to be ignored.
Most people who write fluff text for tech descriptions - be it for games of movies - have no idea what they are doing. They just pick a number that sounds impressive without understanding.

Welcome Captains to a world where good IPs get demolished and we're forced to sit and watch in agony.

DID SOMEONE SAY "DIE IN GLORIOUS RAMMING ACTION?"

Feed me space games.

do we have an infograph because if not I do believe its time

There's the strategy game chart which has some sci-fi and space games on there.

Gearbox is arse.

The idea of ramming has one minor flaw though.
The kind of speeds you need for getting between stars, means any other ship you might be trying to ram is likely going to be moving 10.000 m/s or more relative velocity. Thats around mach 30 for the less scientifically inclined.
So not only do you need to hit a target moving 30 times as fast as a bullet, that will likely be trying to avoid you hitting them, even if you do hit them, a collision at that high a speed would most likely turn your own ship into a cloud of exited metal particles and small bits of debris in the process. At 10.000 m/s you only get around 11.1 ricks worth of boom from the impact, but that should still be enough to turn your ship into something no no salvage team could ever hope to get paid for. And since you are going so fast the surfaces that impact each other essentially explode, putting a cutting implement on the front of your ship won't do much, since the edge is just going to explode anyway.

TL:DR Ramming in space is harder than it sounds. Better to just shoot a kinetic missile at the target to hit it instead.
But if you really want close range fighting in space, there's only one good way to do it. Pic related.

Well fuck, whats stopping us from making one.
and by us I mean you guys
and by you guys I mean you
I believe in you user

The reason why anyone not going in the exact same orbit as you will be moving so fast you can't hit them with your own ship.

Everyone knows the future of Ship-to-ship combat is
SPACE SHIPS WITH ARMS IN MELEE COMBAT!

Damn. I'm 40 minutes late.. and with the same image no less.

Great minds think alike fam

Should I give it another chance?

what does it mean

Any worthy space 4x games?

Stellaris is a disappointment
Distan worlds could be much better

Drones are future. Targeting most vital enemy ship spots are both most effective and most economically advantageous since the rest of ship will remain salvageable. Hovever I doubt that big ships will be used too much. As someone else said about star trek "if federation would want warships they will make small ship packed with weapons that could blow up any planet". Big ship only means bigger target. Even with current weaponry small nuke will outperform any giant big projectile weaponry.

The answer is always Aurora.

It wasn't making much money and confusing consumers?

Lack of players
please use archive.is/articles/2017-02-14-frontier-pulls-standalone-elite-dangerous-arena-from-sale
Also is avorion worth getting? store.steampowered.com/app/445220/

Only if you can guarantee they won't fuck up, and good luck getting autonomous killer robots past any legislature without them forcing a human in the decision making loop. And if you have a human in there reaction times are slowed down, and in space combat, considering the distance and speeds everything will be moving at, that's going to be a disaster.

Let's not drag Marxist space fantasy into the discussion.

Yeah, good luck doing fuckall with a nuke without an atmosphere to carry the blast.

Energy weapons and really smart missiles are the only viable alternatives, or just an energy weapon strapped to a missile even.

i fucked the link in the first post here's a new one
archive.is/IGSEE

why are you spoilering everything.

I don't know?

Also if you read the Eurogamer article

I had a important person to me do this once, are you him?

Master of Orion 2

Barring that, there are some games that heavily copy the Master of Orion 2 formula which may be worth getting into.

Stardrive 2

Endless Space 1, 2

You think that epicenter of the blast is less relevant? At lest you dont bring fucking radiation damage.
Nigger how you think missiles are work?
Like a fucking laser? You need heatsink the size of moon to keep weaponsgrade laser from overheating.

Who knew a brick could look so sexy
Beta preview livestreams are finally happening too, both at 7PM GMT Tuesday(Today) and Thursday.
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/329260-On-the-Horizon-2-3-The-Commanders-Beta-Livestreams?p=5146528#post5146528
On their YouTumor channel youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/live

You are actually sort of right when you suggest 18th century ironclads, or 18th century anything really. The only two effective methods of space warfare available to us at the moment are essentially boarding actions and projectile based weapons.
Lasers contrary to popular belief are not that effective in space unless at relative close range, since there is diffraction in space and thus dissipation of energy. Plus they are pretty much thermal based which wouldn't make much sense as a weapon since most spaceships would likely be built to resist extreme heat.
If you think nukes or missiles are effective in space you are 12. Nukes are awful in space, waste tremendous amount of energy which means their effective blast radius is actually very tiny. Radiation in space is also far more deadly from a nuke so you can forget about that being effective since ships will be insulated against much worse. To add onto this, missiles are just downright useless to the point they can only operate at knife fight ranges as to get anywhere they would need to be mostly thrusters and fuel to make constant course corrections.
This leaves us with basically projectile weapons as the only effective means of engagement and boarding actions.

The funny thing is you aren't wrong. To go one step further I would actually say that Mobile Suits from Gundam would be a far more effective and useful small craft than the idea of starfighters, especially when you factor in something like a Mobile Suit could be used as an engineering and combat vehicle, plus have theoretically better agility.

I'll take what are cruiser missiles for 500 Trebek.

Good grief.
Bullshit sir. Bullshit of the highest degree. You are assuming the mass of the ship is irrelevant despite the massive amounts of delta-V and engine power that would be required to move ships with all that armor.
And once you factor in ship mobility, the usefulness those conventional guns evaporates like a snowball in hell.
Your entire argument hinges on ships not only having no technological advancement from modern capability in energy production or heat dissipation, but also that all ships are designed to be slow, heavily armored lumbering brutes that can't move to save their lives.
To fight them all you need is an asshole with a kinetic missile and a laser used to blind the targets sensors before the missile hits it. So long as the missile can out accellerate the ship, which shouldn't be hard, seeing a its designed to be slow and clumsy, it will have no trouble hitting, and a laser wouldn't need much of any power to blind the targets sensors so it can't shoot the missile down.
Alternatetly, use a laser from beyond the range of the guns on a ship that's not designed to be slow and clumsy, and just move out of the way when he shoots those pathetic 3.000 m/s muzzle velocity rounds at you while you can hit him with impunity from far beyond that guns range.

projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacegunconvent.php#id--Laser_Cannon
Why don't you go educate yourself before you make any more of an ass out of yourself?
Ah, sorry, I spoke too soon.

A feature none of the base players asked for is removed from sale after it was split in a vein attempt to sell it as a shitty standalone product. I still think the entire CQC thing was done purely in a attempt to pander to the the xbox playerbase because console players are viewed as a bunch of ADD retards who need insta action to be entertained.

If you actually bothered to read my post you autistic fucktard then yes, that's exactly what I said. I said with current technology as it is.

Except it is, missiles need to build up velocity which will make maneuvering insanely difficult so they will most likely miss mainly through overshoots. Current naval combat would take place at ranges in excess of 100km's, imagine the ranges in space? Are you assuming ships will remain stationary?

Funny you should have read that entirely. The amount of energy required to use that is far beyond our abilities.
You should probably consult the laws of physics first.

DUST

both of you need to fucking kill yourselves

hivemind

Ships got smashed by rocks in original as well.

If you send destoryers, then yeah, anything smaller can evade the rocks

Gankers hate PvP where everyone is on even footing, griefers hate PvP where the loser isn't forced to grind rebuy, and forumdads just hate PvP period, so none of Frontier's target audience has any interest in Arena.

They did, but in the original your smaller ships attempted to evade the rocks and perform evasive maneuvers. Fighters and corvettes in some situations are meant to use evasive tactics and avoid hazards like that, while capital ships which can handle an asteroid collision or two would be more focused on aggressive tactics and powering their weapons to blow the shit up.

In the original things like formations, tactics, and the collision detection in the physics based engine was a huge part of the gameplay, as RNG never played a role in a ship getting hit by an attack. So when it came to objects that could collide with a ship, in the original ships were automatically smart enough to try evading every collision obstacle by default so they didn't crash. All of that is gone in an RNG system so ships will act much more stupid and movement, formations, etc. are pretty pointless since a stationary target in an RNG system isn't much different from a moving target as far as the chance to hit.

Im going to play rebel galaxy, any tips and tricks?

Did she died?

defense is more important than offense. Upgrade your shields and armor before your weapons.

Not much i could tell you that you wont learn from the tutorial.
Just follow your instinct and make a fortune in the stars!

bungie rope at the bottom of her feet.

Unsure whether this is the right thread for it, but is there any game other than System Shock 2 and Dead Space 1 where you basically are the lone survivor on a spaceship and have to try getting the damn thing running again?

Seeing the various sub-systems of the ship returning to function gave me an oddly rewarding feel in DS1.

What would/do you guys name your spaceships?

Yeah, I love such a concept too.

SOMA has something like that, more or less, in that to progress forward you need to repair malfunctioning systems. I wish the game had been all about that instead of featuring sections where you play hide and seek with boring monsters.

I remember there was a more recent first person adventure game where you're stuck on a spacecraft as the last survivor and need to fix it, but I can't remember what it's called.

Latest one i named was called Warspite.
Because Excelsiors have to be british!

SOMA was kinda okay-ish and one of the few walking simulators I actually enjoyed, not to the least because it had superb worldbuilding.

I'm still wondering what happens to the player character after the ending (and I don't mean the one in the ark). Does his battery just run out eventually?

potential raising…

There is a pixel shit game were you wake up and the ship its fucked. You run around looking for people and find a few survivors.
The combat its turn based, cant remember the name.
It was average.

Unlikely, the WAU would make sure he survives.

IIRC the WAU is kill.

that's dungeon of the endless and it's not very good nor is it anything what he wants since it's a turn based TD

You get a choice not to kill the WAU, which is actually smart since the Ark is a crapshot anyway, the WAU is the best choice humanity's got to survive the apocalypse.

Nope, the game is newer, the spaceship is still in space making jumps. And everytime it jumps, new freaky enemies appear to fight you.

To be fair, it's not like humanity HAS any other chance.

But then again, death may be preferable options as opposed to being kept in a perpetual bio-mechanical nightmare coma by a benevolent but deeply flawed AI.

Because there is nothing else. The Ark is an escape fantasy. You've got a few hundred people stuck in an MMO until the satellite falls apart.

Everything on the surface is dead and it's uninhabitable and will remain as such for a long, long time.

The WAU is pretty much all humanity's got.

I'm afraid to tell anyone my ship's name because I'm afraid they might steal it or it might become popular.

It's not like the WAU is doing it on purpose, it's using whatever it can get its hands on to safeguard the humans it managed to copy. Some people take to the transition better than others, while others go stark raving mad, but Simon is proof that it is improving.

I'd prefer to live my life in KonoSuba than live 2000 leagues under the sea stuck to a fucking rock

it's slowly working out the kinks, hence the MC of the game and once that's happened shit's only a matter of breeding

Ok found the game, its halfway

I'm not talking about your life though, but survival of humanity as a species. Even Catherine admits that the Ark is little more than pure escapism and once you're on the Ark you can never get out.

I fail to see why having two plans is bad. They're lucky the WAU was even around and deemed it necessary to start protecting them.

Simon isn't even a proper organic human. And even if Simon works, how is the repopulation gonna function? Literally all organic humans still alive under the sea are overgrown with WAU-matter and need it for life support. The only "free" human is on mechanical life-support and would die sooner than later anyway.

At best, WAU could hope to produce fully synthetic beings and then upload the personalities of humans into them. Humanity as a biological species is done for.

Better than the alternative.

Doesn't matter. There's plenty of DNA samples lying around that can be gathered and stored when whatever society the WAU creates is stable enough to sustain reintroducing organic humans, and even if that's not the case you could still have two synthetics share virtual DNA and create a third personality. What matters is that sentient life on Earth is preserved in some way, you can always figure out a solution if you are given enough time.

Well the thing is
Everything that begins, must eventually end
Be it humanity, the universe, or time itself, nothing is infinite
but, humanity is a fucking tiny blip on the marker of time, so it wouldn't take a long time for a new sentient species to come around after humanity dies, seeing as the sea is still around, and there was animals in it, it's not without reason that eventually, they'd start walking again

WAU plan seemed to be preserve whatever he can find as best as he can so alot of the solutions he came up with were a mixture of what was available at the time, hence the MC being a camera inserted into a corpse, once he can effectively preserve, he can then work on rebuilding which the beginnings of you could see all around

I mean shit'll end up as I have no mouth and I must scream tier for awhile but that's till wau can repair the surface

You want an idea for a space game? Try this:
>You are the commander of a group of space navy seals being sent to a mining asteroid to find out why communications have been cut. The station has been trying to jam all communications in the area since it went silent, so the government think it may be space terrorists or something fuck those belter assholes hence the brass sending in the space navy seals to see what is going on.
The challenge is of course, that the game switches the classic RPG mechanic of the player getting better and better weapons throughout the game, on its head. You start out with all the big cool guns and high tech toys, but they all have limited ammo and you don't get more ammo along the way. So do you use your military grade anti tank laser, to kill the giant SpaceKilldozer that's trying to hunt down that group of civies hiding overthere, or do you try to take it down with smaller guns you have more ammo for, which is riskier for your dudes, or do you just let the SpaceKilldozer kill those civies while you run off, to save your bullets in case something even bigger and nastier comes to kill YOU latter on? As the game goes on ammo becomes more and more scarce as you use it up and the same fights against the same enemies thus become increasingly hard. Your big military grade anti tank laser may be able to kill nearly anything in one shot, but you only start the game with a few shots for it, so you have to make them count, making it harder to choose when to use each gun.
Suddenly, every bullet and every soldier you have becomes important, since you only have so many and you have to make them last until the end.
Along the way you can also have segments where your guys give you shit over throwing away their lives to defend some fucking belter scum, or they may give you shit over you letting the robots slaughter innocent civilians. Kind of a loose-loose situation, that someone with a flair for artsy stuff like Spec-Ops the Line did, to fuck with the player and make them second guess their own decisions or give them an emotional gut punch.
On the visual side, you'd have the large 3 dimensional environments you have to move your dudes around in during fights, since the asteroid is 0g.

I don't see how bombs wouldn't be effective. Why would a ship ever need think armor? It's not hard stopping radiation. Look at how small nuclear bombs are. They have radiation insulation, cause how else is the nuclear material suppose to get hot enough for a reaction. If anything the a bomb would be super effective

The WAU was basically sticking whatever brainwave copies he could find into whatever body he could get its hands on. It's why you stumble upon someone stuck in the fucking submarine.

It was basically going into overdrive trying to safeguard as many human lives as possible (be they the originals or the copies), figure out a way to stay alive despite attempts to kill it, find a solution for the lack of viable vessels to put the survivors in, keep the station together and plan for the future.

The fact so many humans are alive is a testament to the success of its plan.

Wouldn't really appeal to me. Space games for me always hold the theme of isolation because you have the big, black vastness of space between you and the rest of humanity somewhere on planet earth. Whining civilians and nagging teammates would kill it for me.

if the game was based around WAU as the MC I think it would have been a much better game tbh

Iron Sky made the best ship designs. Let that sink in.

Jesus doesn't post, jesus saves.

Fucking finally, we'd better be able to put it on the hull somewhere too.

Personally I would like to see a game that takes the "usual" space horror story but puts you into the shoes of joe shmoe who is just doing his share on the big ship and then slowly shit starts to fall apart.
Just coming in after the fact just makes the player miss out on a lot of perspective that could really get the spoopyness across, going from a functional group through a full on panic to silent hallways.

Also: Post some space music

what the fuck

How about no. All they're gonna do is turn the threads into shit with constant arguing and bitching about the games that are on there.

That better be a tease of the ship naming and not the actual ship model and make that they didn't put in yet.

Livestream Summary, dumping webms too

Cmdr Creator = 'Holo Me'. [8m40s]
New product that's been installed in your ship, you can access it at any point (Not in SRV or Fighter). Thinks it works in supercruise. (U+200B was here)It's a holographic representation.
Options: Gender / Presets / Suit / Headgear ('helmet always on' option) / Patches (left shoulder decal, right shoulder decal etc).
It uses the cockpit space to display the Holo while creating.
This is a pre-beta build
Standard animated features (blinks, eye direction, lip pursing etc on rotation)
All presets = 'not artist made' - made using tools available to all starting from base model.
Hair, beards, aged-ness (liver spots, eye bags) etc etc.
Various suits colours Green/Purple/White/Navy Blue/Red etc
Complexion Tab: Head archtypes with a slight age theme, ageing slider, skin blemish choices, 'asymmetry' slider, scars [11mins ish]

Hair [20m45s]
Face Tab: Cyborg eyes, different eye colors for L/R 'David Bowie' look if you want [22m]
Can randomise each sub-section on its own (just eyes, just nose etc)
Ton of customisation options if you want: (For eyes, type, 'type blend weight', distance, width, angle etc etc etc)
undo/redo options
Cosmetics tab, not shown, but some broad options: makeup (eyeshadow, blusher etc) / tattoo options [30m40s]
Ed is a preset… (they spend ages messing with him, beard colour bit buggy)
Helmet can be transparent or opaque [37m25s]
All in 2.3
Shoulder decals [37m50s]
Basic suit colours in 2.3 too [38m15s]
Complex suit designs will be in store after 2.3 launch
Well over a year by a small team on this [40m30s]

Camera suite [41mins]
Replaces debug camera
Pans around ship externally [41m40s]
They look at little Ed in the ship
Roll / Elevations / Speed
Unlock rotation / Lock to vehicle / lock to world
Zoom (can go back a long way) - toggles with Depth of Field
Hide the HUD [43m]
Can move ship while in camera mode [44mins]
When not locked to ship you get more control over camera movement
Focal blur etc examples [45mins]
Pans way back until 'signal lost' [46mins]
Range of camera presets, which you can then move away from - under carriage with accompanying FDL barrage [47mins]
Missing UI etc, so hard to play like this, but keybinds work etc
Originally called 'vanity cam', and that's the intent
Locked to ship cam [48mins]
Works with SRV too
More camera presets: ship cockpit, with all zoom and blur effects etc [50mins]
View from back of cockpit (can still shoot from here etc)
Side pilot view
co-pilot cam

Dolphin [53m50s]
Vid
Ship naming placeholder (top right). Also new clock icon tab (top left)

Megaships [55m45s]
Not flyable in game.
They are new objects that you can interact with.
There's a variety of them.
Some of them have docking capabilities.
Used for emergency deployments, construction projects. Could be used as a carrier down the line.
Vid of ship called 'Fisher's Rest' It's the station looking thing from the PS4 trailer, but with ship docking bays externally it seems, apparently slow transit speed. [57mins](U+200B was here)

There is a good chance as with multiple cmdrs in a ship it would be much easier to display a single ship name for the ship rather then the multiple cmdrs in it.

My idea was more to put the player in the position of having to make hard decisions, about what to bring on the mission, when to use which tools, who to save, who to sacrifice, when to risk the lives of your guys to save civilians and try to give it weight not just in the story but in the gameplay as well. And by making you a solider being sent in to save civilians and being given all the weapons at the start and having to manage your dwindling resources for the rest of the game, the idea was to have consequences for your actions grow organically out of the situation rather than being a scripted storyline moment that gives you a multiple choice quiz on which storyline you want. Like most RPG's do.
Being spooky wasn't the major point. Though I do like the way your idea would lead the player to care about the NPC's. I'm, not sure if it could be combined with the "you start with limited resources that have to last to the end of the campaign" style.
The main concern I'd have for the "ordinary shmoe in the middle of everything going horribly wrong" idea is that the start of the game would be long, slow and boring, as all the spoopy shit is only slowly starting up but everything is otherwise mostly just going on as normal. Imagine the first day in Shaun of the Dead, with all the subtle things like news headlines and the news casters suggesting something is going on, but the day being mostly just another boring day at work. Now imagine trying to make that a level in a game. How are you going to keep the player interested for more than 5-10 minutes?

That looks fucking neat. I wonder if they'll let us use one as a portable base for our minor factions to give them some meaning

maybe every minor faction in the game could get one by default? It would give us somewhere to sell bounties, data and trade too for our faction rather then it being locked to the faction which owns all the assets in the system.

At this point I think we have enough influence to take over Wheemez's stations, we just have to wait for the game to roll the right states to start a conflict.

I hope this fixes the fucking station and fighter pilot faces from being so fucked

Not likely, wheemez prison colony jumped to 33% when it was at like 20 2 days ago and The 8th dropped from 52 to 45.

I'm docked there right now.

Get to 60% on the 8th and a war will trigger on the next tick. Then you just need to win the war.

And you're right. The first Federation warship was the Defiant Class, which was more compact yet was more heavily armed than any previous Federation ship.
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Defiant_class

I've noticed in the past week or so that our gains have declined and at times we have completely lost large chunks of influence. I really don't know what is going on, but it might be possible that someone is sabotaging our work

Summary didn't mention this, the basic full suit colours are free and the more complex designs and other colours will all be in the extras store.

They all are randomly generated in the cmdr creator system which we are only just getting access too. Doubt they'll change it now.

someone has to be fucking trading to the station or selling data. What the fuck.
The conflict though is supposed to be triggered when two factions have matching influence, so as long as we stay above them in influence it should eventually happen. I think the 60% influence war is a separate trigger that makes it happen much quicker. Otherwise factions would never fight each other naturally.

Wait, they left out half the UI from the external camera, why? What reason is there to not let players have full control and access to all the shit in the panels from the external view?
The whole thing seems like a half finished feature more than anything else. Like that plot thing with the alien ruins that where all copypasted…

I don't know how to feel about it. One one hand it is very soothing. Who knew that mining a big asteroid for 10 minutes could feel so rewarding. The ship building is also nice, and really makes it feel like it belongs to you. For whatever reason, though, I can't play it too long without restarting. Maybe I'm just not creative or patient enough.

The current camera is a debug camera and was never designed with any of the shit we're getting.
This is an upgrade that was developed for us so we have a 3rd person camera we can actually use. All the UI stuff has been recently added for us. The devs probably had access these camera options but not as streamlined as that.

Not in space. Space fighters - manned or AI - have little utillity. There is nothing to hide behind in space. Fighters aren't that much faster than capital ships in space either.
Big ships = big weapons and defenses. Drones would just getlaz0red

That's nice and all but where's the gameplay? :^)

Seems fabrication and materials will be the biggest decider of how space warfare will be.

Multicrew stream is Thursday (^:

If I uploaded Star Ruler 1, would anons wanna try playing it together?

Your attitude is, bluntly, fucktarded.
Most people have their own ideas for ship names. Why take yours? It's why all those DONUT STEEL idiots on dA are so ridiculous; nobody cares.

because it happened to my default username for a while then died back down and since I'm not that creative of a person that it takes me days or sometimes weeks to come up for a name I couldn't even play the games

Are there any Sci-Fi games with a bug race that isn't built around being a swarm?

narutofoxboi?

xXWeeDGokUXx?

>xXWeeDGokUXx?
>narutofoxboi?

Not nearly as embarrassing, but I'm still not going to post it.

just join Space Station 13 about an hour into the round and put on spooky music

Reminder that Mandate and Homeworld are dead.

There's Stasis but I havent personally played it.

There are days I wonder what would have happened if that no-name indie who tried to crowdfund his hands onto the homeworld franchise had succeeded.

Could try SoTS, skip the sequel it's shit.

60% triggers a war for system control. matching influence with non-controlling factions will trigger wars for assets they own in system. A control war is always for the biggest closest station to the primary star.

It would had been shit? Stardock would had a better change.

Join merchant guild as soon as you can and do their missions; their payouts are pretty nice.

Mission payouts are dependent on difficulty of a system (so a mission that takes places in a system that sells mk6 gear has a higher payout).

Barracuda is a good investment as it is fast and maneuverable enough for you to outrun most problems.

Don't bother with the merchant missions that ask you to acquire x number of things before delivery unless you are a turbo autist and kept a log of what every station sells.

Mercenaries guild is also fun; just avoid the fuck out of the guardian angel escort missions.

There's no deadline to doing the main story missions; I met Juno in a decked out Blackgate.

Of course not, the devs would have to be able to comprehend the horrors to program them
:^)

That picture really makes me want to play Cosmic Encounter.

I wish my friends were here ;~;

Haha, """people""" are already complaining about gender shit on the Frontier forums because of the CMDR Creator.

Where da space Hulks at

I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that.

Biocuck had a semi good thing going with Mass Effect, but it all went down hill after the first game.

how's the new spacehulk. I obtainted it while back during a no cost bloodsucking worm but have been wondering if it's worth actually playing.

It's good as far as aesthetics go but they have fuck all to patch it.

have done*

yes. Singleplayer campaign is OK, even if the missions are repetitive.

There's nothing like a battleship fully rigged for ramming

It's not shit. It just feels unfinished.

E:D players, get all the powerplay decals for the great price of nothing
frontierstore.net/usd/powerplay-decal-pack.html
Was promised in the trailer for the powerplay update, only took them a year to actually add them.

Please don't hurt me for this, but Stellaris didn't have this content already? Most of the late game content is about some outer space/dimensional monstrosity invading and fuck up the whole galaxy.

Help an user out.
I'm looking for an infograph that describes the different school/types of spaceship designs.
Or was it a picture depicting the major difference between the school/types.
I remember Imperial or something being one of the school/design.

Are you the user that suggested a while back that suggested such a game which contains literally destruction of entire galaxys as if it was nothing?

NIGGA WE GON LEARN ROCKETS
projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/

The endgame crises are one of the few things I think Stellaris really fixed well, they're super dangerous if not down right impossible for any one empire to beat now, no matter how big your fleets are. The Unbidden especially are super fucking dangerous if you let them be for a couple years, and the Protheyon Scourge basically ruins entire sectors at once. I don't know much about the AI rebellion as I've always had it spawn in my empire and just nipped it in the bud, but I know if they get a foothold they build synth pops that have a +20% modifier for science and resource gathering, plus a flat 50% bonus to research, which gets their ships fallen empire-tier bonuses in a few dozen years.

For me The Unbidden was the easiest, one big suicide fleet to the core and destroy their portal. The rest is "patience game".
That brain like elder horror race it's an instant game over since they are able to eat even the awakened FEs and pretty much fuck up every star system.
I didn't had the fortune for the AI rebellion, but i heard that you can make it easier if you make your own synth population loyal to your empire.

"No no no, this car isn't a bad car, the factory just forgot to put wheels on it or to give the engine a transmission, but I'm sure the factory will finish the model, some day…."

more like

That hardly makes the car any more fucking driveable now, does?
Which coincidently sums up the entire metaphor, since the game is also so riddled with bugs, spelling errors and half finished features its practically unplayable…

Battlefleet Gothic Armada would have been honestly a fuckton better if they didn't even bother with multiplayer. Since every attempt by the devs to "balance" the game just resulting in a faction being nerfed into nothingness and still not fixing the underlying core issues of the game.

you're not wrong there

I don't know if you've played since 1.4, but they overhauled the unbidden so now they spawn fleets at a set interval, and they make fortress class stations called dimensional anchors which make the tear they come through impossible to destroy, so you have to go around killing those things before you can take out the portal

No i didn't have that version, because i pirated and *Fitgirl** would upload more until paradox stop being a jew and release all the cut off content dlc for the game. He/she made the samething with Bethesda.
But it sound pretty anoying. For the unbidden you need to total redesing your fleet weaponary. It's not a safe thing when the local space mexicans start to play retard during the crisis.

Ship naming confirmed.
Bountys are also duplicated through wings not just multicrew players

Sounds like any cmdr who deals damage to a ship will get the full bounty now. Finally I won't have to fight over npc bounties in cgs anymore.

I have never played a space simulator in my life aside from booting up Oolite and Pioneer once or twice because I'm a freetard. Should I start with a port of the original Elite?

Depends on what are you looking in space game
>fly around and pick missions and have economy: freelancerbaby mode or X seriesrape mode

gotta love the courier, neat little ship, thought I was gonna be looking at the rebuy screen here

Well if you don't speed in the station boundary you won't get any fines for hitting other ships or be fast enough to hurt yourself on any other ships.
The npcs are complete dumbasses I fly my t9 through the mailslot and I swear I suddenly become invisible to any other npc in view.

Only took them what, 3 years to fix that.

Hey imperial fags. Got a discord for your faction? I wouldn't mind helping when I get back in the bubble.

We haven't got anything like that setup, probably should at some point.

If I were to assign a sentence to E:D, I'd assign "This is why we can't have good things.".
I wish the game was good. I wish there was some fucking game to it.

see

unless you mean powerplay factions then yeah the whole thing needs a rework. The fact that powers can instantly rebound after being pushed all the way back to their starting system makes it all pointless.

When I do play, I play there.
Doesn't change the fact that the game's barebones and that the major factions are all retarded.

I imagine it would be something like The Return to Kharak mission but on a cosmic scale… entire clusters of galaxies disappearing from the observable universe at a rapidly increasing rate while we are scrambling to achieve FTL travel.

Limpets a cute!
I'm going to be here forever.

And I thought X was on the tedious side

I think im just going to play some star trek online, its been 2 years since the last time, I wonder fi they touched pvp at all

HMS Cardington, of courshe!

PVP in STO is basically dead at this point.

damn it, it had potential. I guess with all the items they've added even trying to rebalance it would be a waste of time. at this point they should just make it Pvp with pre-set ships and battles, something like a WoT thing with unlockable ships/presets but I doubt it will ever happen.

You got lucky. About 2 weeks ago, I ended up going through my entire 7 hour long synthwave playlist while mining for osmium

Boy I sure do enjoy waiting 43 minutes for my Anaconda to get here. Thanks, forumdads, for this exciting emergent gameplay.

Will one feature of this game finally be spared from their autistic wrath?

That was my thought. I promise you, you have to be at the same station to join multi-crew. If that isn't the plan already, they'll make it happen. The forumdads are cancer.

u wot m80s?
How does this shit work?

we have to fight a war against Wheemez Prison colony and win. To trigger the war for sure, we have to hit 60% system control

war or election I believe.

That's one fine looking ship user

Was the Anaconda worth the wait?

Just keep doing missions and shit then I guess? Every little helps for that Empire rep too I suppose.

I moved all my shit over at the same time since I'm setting up shop in the system now, it's my general "do stuff in" ship at the moment so I guess it was.
I took part in the exciting emergent gameplay of leaving my desk and cooking my meat feast pizza until it arrived, forumdad wisdom prevails again.

Proudly displaying my Imperial colours.

Run more limpets. That looks like three? Up that to eight. You want a flurry of active limpets to get your mine game on.

Here's a T9 build that should do you better.
eddp.co/u/ENYxwecR

The two medium hardpoints on the top are pretty far from the smalls and bottom medium. Do what you want with those. is right. You need a little cloud of limpets following you.

I run a Clipper for mining normally. Here's my old base model build. It's been upgraded a lot since I last used the old Coriolis.
coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/0pmtnFflndpsnf47l1e2m2m00000404064i2132C0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.MwBhBYCYEY2yG2KSJ6pEA===?bn=outlet store miner

the fuck is this game
sounds like you customize shit

Elite: Dangerous, 4th of a series older than you.
That is a part of it, yes.

That CG is one sided as hell.

This thread makes me sad that /space/ is dead.

It was a quick switch build for a mining mission I ended up leaving after hitting 200 limpets. Didn't realize I should run more limpets to use the massive cargo storage the type9 has just have to find a high tech to outfit it now.

Considering the imperial player groups are much more autistic and dedicated to the game then most fed groups 5$ the imperial CG will still win.

Not enough users on 8ch to make alt game boards worth it. 79 users spread out over a whole board makes for a very dead board.

I want spess, what should I play?

Combat CGs always win user

apparently a number of us play Elite:Dangerous. One user was even autistic enough to fill out everything to get us a faction.

It's fun.

Sounds expensive. Maybe another time, what else you got?

If I was to make a discord for the group would anons use it? I would also like to add a bunch of you as friends so I can actually see you in open.
Aussie means the matchmaking won't instance me with anyone but aussie players in open, unless I wing up.

Someone rate my missile please. Game is Aurora 4x

Missile Size: 4.95 MSP (0.2475 HS) Warhead: 8 Armour: 0 Manoeuvre Rating: 16
Speed: 56600 km/s Engine Endurance: 21 minutes Range: 70.5m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.8 Sensitivity Modifier: 180%
Resolution: 61 Maximum Range vs 3050 ton object (or larger): 2,530,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 8.98
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 905.6% 3k km/s 288% 5k km/s 181.1% 10k km/s 90.6%
Materials Required: 2x Tritanium 1.08x Boronide 1.8x Uridium 4.1x Gallicite Fuel x500

Development Cost for Project: 898RP

That could probably explain why I never see anyone in the station, different time zones and shit.

RRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
RRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCKIN STOP

It's not just timezones the game will not match you with overseas players casually in open. I usually have to wing up and then it works fine.

5 MSP isn't average?

You are wasting 0.05. MSP. Also always use square numbers for warhead strength.

I would, at least.
Idahoanon here.

imgur.com/a/e92zt

I'm a little bit over 5.25 MSP but what do you think?

Missile Size: 5.25 MSP (0.2625 HS) Warhead: 9 Armour: 0 Manoeuvre Rating: 16
Speed: 53300 km/s Engine Endurance: 31 minutes Range: 99.6m km
Active Sensor Strength: 1.8 Sensitivity Modifier: 180%
Resolution: 61 Maximum Range vs 3050 ton object (or larger): 2,530,000 km
Cost Per Missile: 9.23
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 852.8% 3k km/s 272% 5k km/s 170.6% 10k km/s 85.3%
Materials Required: 2.25x Tritanium 1.08x Boronide 1.8x Uridium 4.1x Gallicite Fuel x750

Development Cost for Project: 923RP

What happened to that game where 5 players got their own ship and each was assigned Cap, Nav, Eng, Weap, Sci?
Can't recall the name, but it was in Beta and fairly fun.

You are wasting space. Keep the MSP a whole number.

Pulsar, they are still working on it. All of the "core" systems are just about in place so now they are going to work on content. I kinda wish they took a different direction with the game, but its their first on and its like 4 dudes or something.

Fuck it I'm making one.
The full faction name is 8th Imperial Pilots Syndicate right? I'm not in Wheemez to check atm.
I'll set the server to US Central since I'm assuming most of you here are Burgers.

Pulsar lost colony, still in development last I checked.

The creator is a glorious shitposter, hasen't made anything in a couple of months though since taking the subreddit by storm.

Please don't advertise your discord here /qYfXn

Just use the code at the end.
mark can advertise his own discord though that's fine

In the meta he said he gave it away or something.
Bullied off the mumble, kick off discord. Poor thing.

>Mark
>poor thing
hardly

wewlad

Is Elite: Dangerous worth the $30 dollerydoos? I keep seeing anons say it's great, but they don't go into much detail.

I assume since it's an MMO of sorts there's no try-before-you-buy.

yeah, you got it. I'll definitely use the discord

He's such a faggot when do we gas him?

You can explore, do bounty hunting, trading, roam barren planets atmospheric planets when, and do passenger runs among other things.
Personally I chucked out the 60 bucks for both it and horizons, and I think it was worth the buy.
Think along the lines of Euro Truck Sim with lasers in space + bounty hunting. There's other systems in it with more depth, like Powerplay or the Community Goals, I suggest reading up on it before you decide to buy but personally I recommend it.

Oh, and it can get grindy as hell.

Sounds like fun, then.
Might buy it in the next few days if I remember.

whelp I'm stupid. I can't get it to work.

Click the plus sign at the bottom of the server list, then "Join", then just copy/paste those five letters into the box. Should work then.

My problem was with the engineers forcing me to do stuff I don't want (mining, driving around a planet for some shit and the like) or get rekt in pvp.
It's still like that?

Yeah, engineers are still a bit annoying.

did you set it to never expire? Those things have a 30 minute time limit otherwise.

Wasn't me that made that invite, I'll make a new one

They reduced the grind for engineering b y removing commodities and increased the amount materials you salvage from either planet mining or USS. It's something but it's better than before. I actually managed to get G5 multicannons and G5 rail gun on my courier on the same day.

It really depends on your taste man, seriously. You want a space game? yea this is it. You want a the most realistic scale of our galaxy in a game? yea. Grinding? here it is. Really depends on what you are looking for. Do some research first then decide, I'll advice against buying Horizons since it will be added to the base game later on this year when the next season starts unless you want to enter the engineer grind and land in atmosphere-less planets.

jesus how did that mess up,

There is no humanity. An emulator of a consciousness does not a human make.
There were only two humans left around the time "Simon" woke up, and you had to kill one of them just to proceed with the plot.
The only difference between the WAU's techno-organic nightmare and the ARK is that one of them still gets to interact with the physical world. And even that's a crapshoot considering the place was falling to pieces.

You wanna know the funny part? He gave it to a black guy who's into all sorts of degenerate porn.

Are we in control of Wheemez yet?

Not yet. At 46% with a Boom. Next faction down is 25%. Waiting for the game to give a war.

Do anons play ED in open? I've been going in and out of wheemez for the past few days grinding missions and haven't seen anyone.

Maybe it's my Britbong time zone or just the shitty instancing

Shitty netcode makes me play in solo sorry. I can't stand playing the game more than an hour anyways. I'll do more missions for the 8th.

does switching modes work when you're in the instance the salvage spawns in?

I'm in open and have only ever seen 1 guy in Wheemez

yes, but you got to do it quick since npc pirates spawn out the ass.

so you can just park your ship above the salvage, drop some limpets and then modeswitch to fill your cargo hold
like you could with with that other illegal salvage that was introduced through a CG and then left in the game because they forgot to remove it

Last night three of us were for sure in open. Timezones and shit really fuck with instancing, but if we all add each other as friends we'll be more likely to instance together. If you haven't already, join the discord that was made last night

couldn't get the discord thing to work for some reason.

Does that maiki thing still work or did they patch it out?

Try this one: /kcGCs

don't remember if they fixed it or not, but it's been in the game for months
if you're up for trying look for an USS around Maiki 3 with a threat level of 0

Execute update 66.

mandategame.com/article/update-66

Unimpressive.

Kek, that looks like shit. It's very clearly different from what they originally planned. Didn't they want to have a pretty impressive damage model? Now it's just "You can target certain parts ala FTL".
A shame when you think about it but entirely expected. The people that backed this were naiive and perhaps stupid.

>perhaps definitely stupid

that worked, will get on later

how the fuck did they go from this to that?

It's a learning experience, at least I'm not s Star Citizen.

I'm allied to the 8th and still get shit missions that pay out like 50k a pop. Shouldn't I be getting better shit by now?

It's okay user, we all make miscalculations.
And like you said, at least you didn't make an astronomically expensive miscalculation.

And I used to shill that game, I'm sorry user

Once 8th is in control most probably.
join the discord so we can all be autistic together

Though I could have made some money off retarded redditors but buying an early package and selling it after like my friend did.

Not your fault mandate shill, we all wanted to believe. I wonder if I could have it back by asking.

What's the correct discord address now? /qYfXn doesn't seem to work.

I've never used Discord before so IDK.

/vUQAe
This is just one of those 30-minute invites, but it should work.

Lave Radio talked to Braben and got some details on his ideas for gas giants, at least this confirms we'll be able to fly into them eventually.
Also a timelapse of Wheemez 3's rings.

That doesn't sound like a good idea.

There's actually a decent bit of space before the pressure turns the gas into liquid

Imagine bumping into life that lives on the top layers

Many gas giants have earth like pressure and or gravity near the surface so with ships that can fly in 6 times that and float for several hours, gas mining is a pretty obvious option.

It was a good tactic when outnumbered in Klingon Academy if you knew what you were doing.

A lot of gas giants ingame list water based life is present inside them.

Huh, I always figured gas giants had inhospitable surfaces. If the pressure doesn't fuck you up, various storms will. I guess their danger was exaggerated. The more you know.

You know with the right mods the shot from the Plasma Accelerator looks like a Klingon Torpedo. Wonder if I could get my ui in the right color scheme. I'd fly around in a FAS setup for that.

Where the hell did you get that idea?
Most gas giants, tend to have atmospheres so deep a large chunk of their atmosphere becomes a kind of semiliquid metalic hydrogen, a special kind of state you only find when you put hydrogen under so much pressure it becomes so dense it should be metalic, but has such a high temperature, because of that pressure, that it ends up as a bastardisation of liquid and gas thats not quite either.
Most of them would have layers of atmosphere, and in the upper end, you will find one that provides around 1 atmosphere of pressure.
How good or bad an idea it is to fly a ship through the atmosphere of a gas giant depends on how well designed your ship is for flying around potentially acidic atmospheres with fairly hostile weather conditions, and how far into the thing you want to fly, since pressure and thus the amount of kinetic energy wind transfers to your ship, goes up as your ship goes down.

As a side note, keep in mind that your engines will likely put out the equivalent of several healthy sized nukes every second when thrusting and most of the weapons used in combat will likely have similar energy output, and when you put that inside an atmosphere you will inevitably get big fireballs and unpleasant shockwaves you don't normally get in space, so it would be highly inadvisable to put a big ship inside one during a firefight…

Calling bullshit on that right now.
Io is heated not out of radioactivity, but because of the tidal forces exerting so much energy on its core that it stays molten. Fuck's sake, that comet was shredding apart before it even touched Jupiter in '94, and Europa is liquid inside for the same reason. It doesn't necessarily stop with scale, either. Saturn is quite a bit smaller and the same thing happens with Enceladus. Shit, do you see volcanoes on our fucking moon, even though it has some similarities to Io density-wise?

The top of the clouds on Jupiter is roughly 2.5 times earth gravity. Saturn is smaller and Elite is full of smaller gas giants.

This is exactly what a gas giant would say to lure prey in

So, what are ya traders transporting 'cross the stars?

Trading bullets for credits. Though the outlaws arn't too keen on the trade the bounties offices are plenty happy to settle.

Copious amounts of law and order to the filthy xeno's.

My nigga. Get in here if you're not already.
This code won't expire.
/wa2EUk6

Is ED a game yet?

Fair enough, but what about the wind speed? Even with moderately earthlike gravity and pressure you would have to contend with those at that level, the amount of thrust to just stay stable would be impressive.
As far as ignition of the surrounding gases would go, wouldn't it just not happen unless you're using some sci-fi bullshit like fusion torches to keep the ship up? There wouldn't be much else to fuel any flames there, I would imagine, unless life support breaches and the oxygen is let free a bit too close to whatever is being used as thrusters. Of course, automation would eliminate that problem too.
Then there's the problem of using fuel, or some kind of dirigible device to keep the gas miner floating in the atmosphere. I think the second one is a bit more viable, but that highlights the wind speed problem even more.

This needs to be taken into account tbh. Around 5000 million years ago when the earth was completely covered in water it had a constant multi-million year megastorm going on until land rose up and started breaking the wind.

4 rad on Io is not enough?

Any of you guys following the dev diaries for Stellaris 1.5 ('Banks') + Utopia expansion? Looks like a lot of fun improvements to the base game as well as new mechanics. I'll provide a brief list but here's also a link to the complete dev diaries: stellariswiki.com/Developer_diaries

etc etc

Well the thread is sinking, anyone got space lewds?

I have a question for the Elite:Dangerous lads.

It looks to me that the closest thing to balanced PvP in a space-flight sim I've read about was arena; is it completely dead or even worth playing in the normal game?

totally dead

If Arena was any more dead it'd be a Westwood ip

Dead, so dead that they took it out of the steam store.

how much of it is (((expansion))) and how much just a regular update?

There are still some cmdrs playing it but no one plays it all the time. The community manager kicks some life into it though almost once every week with an Arena stream.
When I last played I could get a game but only in the deathmatch gamemode.

Pls play ;_; I'll upload it

I tried to draw borders of my current game I hope you like anons ;_;
I can't see what's going in the north but I think Darmok and Ablato are having retarded yellow babies at the north east while Gevrok is minding his own business on the top left.
Vumal is the pink on the right. He's getting his shit kicked in by me, Kaav, and Presties after he tried to bully me.
Limone and Q'ral are genociding eachother. I think Q'ral is also at war with Kaav and I think Darmok might be involved somehow. I'm not sure what Lerdaa is up to, you can see little spots of purple at the top right.

This was a good space thread I hope to see you anons in the new space thread in a few hours as usual.

Getting pretty fucking sick of flying around in a Python, or any other ship where the pilot seat is not in the center of the cockpit
but the python has so much cargo capacity for a medium ship that I can't stop using it

That's pretty autistic, user.
You would absolutely loathe driving a car.

Star ruler is shit because the AI does not respect ship size roles. Its always a powercreep for bigger and bigger and bigger ships.

I kind of agree with you. The size creep is a symptom of one of the game's underlying problems, which is exponential growth from researching. It gets to the point where small ships become so cheap there's no point building anything smaller than a 50 scale, then a 200 scale, then a 500 scale etc etc. It also impacts the way economy works, pretty quickly you get to the point where you have hundreds of millions to billions to trillions of everything WHILE your ships are getting cheaper and cheaper. So you just don't even think about economy anymore. You just think about how quickly you can spend it.

New thread when?

New Space Thread Here:

Thank you user

I don't enjoy it