ITT: Genres you just don't understand

I have absolutely no idea what people get out of sports games.
Each game feels the same. I bought an old copy of Madden '06 for the PS2 and then a copy of madden '14 for the PS3 and honestly, there's not a huge amount of difference between them.
The same goes for soccer games, basketball games and golf games. They release new versions every year and they all feel the same.
Not only that, but they're all so boring. I was honestly shocked how dull some of these games are, how are these so popular?

Didn't we just have this thread? Also the answer is official licenses prevent other publishers from using current players from players unions and up to date rosters.

This thread isn't about sports games, user, I just stated what it's about it the title.

Fucking fighting games.
I don't know what it is about them, but they never clicked for me. It always felt like learning what attack/counter to do at the right time.

I don't understand any video game that is something you could do in real life. Sports games, "party" games, hell, even some racing games. I always thought the point of video games was to display and accomplish what reality couldn't.

They should be able to add more options in character creator. games with lackluster character creators piss me off.
I want a game where a team of dwarves play football against a team of brown loli cat girls.

/sp/ here. The last great Madden game was 04 and playing anything further on is blasphemy.

As usual a /sp/erg has the worst opinions. Madden 08 was the last great Madden game because it came out on PC and thus can be modded to include rosters and teams from ANY year.

Some sports games for the PS2 were fun. For instance the PES/FIFA games from when the ps2 was still current gen. Nowadays they have autistic bullshit like having unresponsive controls as a gameplay mechanic (a.k.a players wiggle around instead of moving where your analog stick is pointing depending on their skill)

Mundane sports and racing games are boring normalfag bait. They need some design originality to not suck ass.

this

Not everyone can play sports in real life. Also, video games are not just about doing what you cant do in real life, it's about doing those things without the potential consequences they carry in real life. Oh sure, I could buy a junker car and bring it to a race track, but that could easily lead to a massive hospital bill with my driving skills.

best baseball video game incoming

diablo clones

you can play full contact football with 6 foot 5 niggers irl?

JRPGs, or really any game from japan with few exceptions, just the art style, designs, narratives, voice acting, just doesn't appeal to me at all. When Holla Forums gets hard over Nier or Nioh, or Dark Souls or whatever, I try to give them a chance by watching the trailers, but I may don't get anything from it. Just something about most asian games just doesn't do anything for me

Pirating those two on my vita was a miracle.

You should really try out midway sports titles such as hitz, blitz, red card and slugfest.

they aren't made for avid video game players, they're made for sports fans. what matters to them is that the sports teams, clubs and players are up to date. it doesn't matter if the rest of the game is the same.

what the fuck, did riot just straight up copy the purple character's design here or is it a coincidence? they look like the same character

I don't like board hate for the sake of board hate but this user is right. You can mod the shit out of these spots games to the point that they're almost always current. And it seems like most franchises have gotten worse in the last five years rather than better, as in losing features and content.
I don't like FIFA but I love Football Manager and jesus the 2006 is better than 2017

farm simulator
truck simulator
sims 1~4
sports games

I never seem to hear Red Card get mentioned. FußballFag here and sick to death of EA's bullshit. The games are getting worse.

Anyone have any other opinions on Red Card? Also best management sim? I'm still playing modded Football Manager 2006

You posted the wrong game bro. Don't worry, I got you covered.

anything turn based, especially if it has a story attached.
every time I try one I just feel like I am playing an inferior ttrpg if its story driven or a card game against shittier opponents if its not.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't stand (and also I can't understand why people like) cinematic Action-Adventure non-games like Uncharted, The Last of Us and nu-Tomb Raider.

There's very little player agency in those games, the climbing mechanics are almost as simple as Assassin's Creed and the shooting almost never feels even decent.

The one thing they've got going for them is the graphics but even that is subjective and there are much better looking games out there that also play with 60fps (like MGS V and Witcher 3). Seriously, other than hype and Sony fanboyism why do people like these games?

I remember seeing an ad for Uncharted where the guy is just trying to play the game but his girlfriend is snuggled up against him with popcorn, thinking the game is a movie. Probably one of the biggest lack of self-awareness I've seen in an ad.

marketing is more effective than actual gameplay quality for many people. it's sad really.

This.
Just fucking play Diablo II, I don't get it.
Is it because people just want the newest and coolest thing?

So you only like western design? You have pretty terrible taste I can imagine.

But mgsv and witcher 3 both are also shit games and the people who actually paid for them have to get out.

It's normalfag shit. It's beyond anyone with half a brain.

That is hilarious.

Bullet hell
It's autism made into an actual game genre.You autisticly make all of these hairpin movements to dodge all of comically large amount of projectiles. Most all of it is weeb shit too.
Pretty much all of them are the same shit because you can't possibly innovate with it. Apparently bullet hell games are to good to be associated with those other icky shoot-em-up games. How about we give a different name to platformers like I Wanna be the Guy because they are SO different to those inferior games like Mario.

There is only one good baseball game.

I concur with this.
NHL Hitz is a fuck ton of fun

sounds like you're just bad. I haven't seen any western bullet hell games though, what are you talking about?

Different people have different concepts of fun. Some people who love sport games think you're weebshit is for loser virgins. Some people love both.

They're not "to[sic] good" to be associated with shoot-em-ups, they're a sub-genre. Honestly, It sounds like you're unreasonably angry at non-existent aspects you yourself have attributed to the genre to justify your anger in the first place.

Only people I know that play FIFA are normalfags

perhaps that's because you only understand most bullet hell games from a surface level

It's a subgenre dude, much like how not all first-person shooters are arena shooters

You can kill people in real life user.

Probably people getting tired of Diablo and trying to find a game that is similiar but also has different mechanics and shit

Serviceable third person gun play, cinematic melee that improves each game, and fun characters in an adventure movie setting. Multiplayer ain't bad either. This is my perspective from the first 3, didn't play 4, no interest in it either.

Rhythm games.

Patrician opinon here. Madden took a turn for the worse when ESPN NFL 2K5 came out.

WinnieThePooHeatingShit

This is your average european RTS crybaby or someone who had a PC that could play games in the 90s "but none of those 3d meme ones"

Japan has dropped off hard in the last decade and a half. You pretty much have to be a weeb to enjoy a lot of the shit they put out anymore.

anime is trash kill youself

This is one of the biggest bullshits millenials are fed nowadays.
It basically becomes a shield against any reason because the guy can just turn around and say "no, thats ur opinion lol" and then have fellow millenials agree.

Cool Tumblr screencap.

Traditional JRPGs I can agree with, they're all the same turn-based "press attack then wait for your enemy to attack then use an item, etc" kind of nonsense, I also agree with hating weebshit, but any game from Japan?
Shit, dude. You're cutting out a lot of great games there. You're cutting out the fucking Mario games and everything.

Jrpgs, gameplay is garbage, story is garbage, graphics are garbage outside of the pre rendered cinematics.

Don't shit on Wario Land fucker

Now that's fucking true, I have no idea why anybody likes turn-based combat. It was created entirely out of technical limitations. Some games do it well, most don't.

It's fun for the strategy. I prefer that to mindlessly mashing a button which is what a lot of RPGs devolved into.

Seeing as we are talking about sports games. Is anyone else sick and tired of only having one wrestling game to play from pukes and 2k shit?

Where in the fuck is my AKI ROH game?!

But RTS games aren't especially popular in Europe, you're thinking of Korea.
What the fuck are you talking about

Any game from this series or other licences that follows this games formula.

It's repetitive and boring. Especially the Fist of the North game. When I hit the 100 crack fist I expect the boss to die like in the show.
Not to redo the same attack again,again,again,again,again,again. This is Japan's version of Madden. Yearly releases and there all shit.

You posted the one that's a fighting game, idiot.

Because it basically IS a movie, I just get to have a bit of control over some aspects of it. Doesn't take much energy or focus to complete, and sometimes that's just what I feel like having for the day.

Not like I'm gonna pay more than I would to actually buy a movie, anyways.

Wow, there are cutscenes and a couple of forced walking sections. For most of the game you are shooting motherfuckers in the head with a bow and climbing shit the pickaxe mechanic is braindead shit
Uncharted has a lot of skippable cutscenes, but usually you just shoot/climb shit. The first uncharted isn't even cinematic. It's just a mediocre shooter with pretty backgrounds and cool levels.

I am just shocked at the audacity of the guy who complains about movie games and then posts a picture from a game that opens with an hour-long unskippable crawling segment and has the simplest mechanics in the entire series. Better yet, remember that time Kojima ended MGS4 with a 2-hour long cutscene?

I know that you stupid Nigger. Doesn't change what I wrote.

You're talking about games for people who like to facepaint and get emotionally invested in a group of niggers who wrestle other niggers over a ball.

Because it is all about appearances. Normalfags don't care about substance.

There's three types of sports game players:
The dime-a-dozen dudebro or normalfaggot who plays this shit every year just to be with the IN crowd and have something to justify purchasing gaming consoles, mostly interested in muh realism and muh gachashit online and local versus
The literal autists who need to have each version of the game and play it so religiously they win almost any match but at the cost of fucking around with the squad settings for longer than the actual match
The arcade aficionados who hate the simulation part and partake in the less "official" communities for sports games

I will never understand RPGs in general, people say they're supposed to be heavily story based, but every WRPG/JRPG lore and setting i've ever seen feels the same, only with modified characters.

Yes. I can't drive a $1,000,000 car without worrying about crashing it in reality.

Assassin's Creed's climbing is hardcore as fuck compared to these games, what the fuck are you talking about?

Do wrestling games count? If so, the appeal is the ability to book dream matches. I can take wrestlers from any era and book them in the same match to finally live out dream matches that never happened (This goes especially well with GM/Universe mode). Think of shit like Undertaker vs Sting or Austin vs Hogan or New Day vs Nation of Domination.

People worry that if they have older "out of date" sports games then their friends will judge them for having a game with a Michael Jordan model instead of a model of the most recent new guy.

Succumbing to cliches, I don't get why people are obsessed with "cinematic experiences" and the like. If you don't want to play videogames, nobody is fucking forcing you to play videogames. There is a multitude of alternative activities to take part in.

Nice try, user. You're not pulling a fast one on us.

Yeah, the JRPG artstyle is the worst right after the movie genre and the book plot.

You clearly haven't played any of the older titles.

Me and a Bro play FIFA every other Saturday, same guy i would play Smash, Mario Kart, Gauntlet and all that jazz sat in the living room together.

there are no good "couch co op" games anymore, the only decent ones are the sports game's, it helps we both like football.
Its just the easiest game to put on drink a few beers and play till 5AM, talk about all the stuff thats been going on in the week and so on.

Hitz and Blitz where both fucking grate games

Most turn based combat devolves into A A A A A A A A A A A A smashing grindfest user, don't kid yourself. Most JRPGs are not FF Tactics or FE.

Sports games usually age like Milk, so the one 5 years newer is usually better. Sports games are like realistic racing games, for people who want to live vicariously as someone who is captain of the sportsball team or mister forza racer.

Yeah outside of boss fights a lot of JRPGS turn into this.

they are only fun if you love exploiting the AI or are on the same skill as others around you.

I agree, never was a big fan of the "anime" art style. I can get past it if the core is good enough, but a lot of shit about it will turn me off.

NBA Jam and NFL Blitz were the only good ones because of the announcers.

FPS. Most of them are just shitty point-and-click simulators with repetitive casual gameplay, generic enemies and dumb AI.

I hate turn based combat specifically when you can miss. It feels like it's not my fault, so it's not fun at all.

The best turn based combat I've seen is For the Frog the Bell Tolls. The game takes your stats and does the battle for you with just a quick animation. Most turn based combat games are supposedly about training your characters anyway, so fuck off with the pretense of my skill being a significant factor in individual battles. It just wastes my time, time that could be spent on the good parts of RPGs, exploring and shit.

I like Rock Band because drums are pretty much real drums, and it gives me and my friends an excuse to do karaoke and pretend it's not gay.

And Parappa the Rapper because of the actual songs and presentation. Basically, the genre is about listening to music and getting into the groove. Like dancing. Oh yeah DDR is fun too, because it's an excuse for me and my friends to dance and pretend it's not as gay as it is.

He's talking about PCfags who try to pretend that they weren't just poorfags who didn't get to play real games. Who try to pretend that Jazz Jackrabbit or Commander Keen were as good as Sonic or Mega Man.

Do you know how fucking expensive computers were before like 1997?
My first computer cost $3000, and that was in 1988, which means it would be over $6k in today's money.

I wish, a PC that could play Doom, Daggerfall or Quake decently on release was not cheap.