PS2 trilogies

Just "inherited" a PS2 and a bunch of games from a (much) older brother who has bought a house and needs to get rid of a load of stuff.

He has quite a few games for the system. I never played many PS2 games and don't know which have aged well or which can be bought for other systems in HD remakes (and whether these are better or worse than the originals). I should be able to hook it up and try it out at the end of the week.

Some of the games he has that I never played but now want some feedback on whether they are worth my time:

Ratchet and Clank trilogy
Prince of persia trilogy
Sly Cooper trilogy
God of war 1 and 2 (played the third game and thought it was ok).
Devil may cry trilogy (supposedly 2 is shit?)
Wipeout fusion
Final Fantasy X and X-2
Viewtiful Joe
Ace combat distant thunder
Kingdom hearts 1 and 2

He also has a bunch of PS1 games which could be good (assuming it's backwards compatible) but that might have aged like dogshit.

Spyro trilogy
Croc
Ape escape (looks insane)
Crash bandicoot trilogy and the kart racer
Shitloads of JRPGs that don't interest me much

Ape Escape 3, definitely. My favorite in the series for more then just spats.
For Ace Combat get 04, 5, and 0 instead.
And for Kingdom Hearts also pick up re:Chain of Memories for some extra fun.

(checked)

Why the fuck would you get rid of stuff when you buy a house…? If he's married and the wife is making him get rid of his stuff, he needs to drop that bitch like a bad habit.

Nah, he's just played them all and has the newest consoles.

He also works like 75 hours a week and they're trying for a kid so there's basically minimal free time now or in the future.

they're all very good action platformers

yeah, and devil may cry 1 is awkward compared to DMC 3, was originally supposed to be a resident evil game.
DMC 3 is very good

they're good, same company that later did R&C. soundtrack was done by Stewart Copeland, the former drummer for The Police.

good

i played a bit of this, what i played was good

its good

very good

like what? a lot of JRPG fans say the 1990s was the best time for JRPGs

well at least someone who has never played them will get a chance

how do people stand this? you don't even have time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. you don't even enjoy anything unless the job is actually interesting

no free time for another 18 or so years

So he's going to be an absentee father and have a really, really fucked up kid. Good to know.

Thanks for the feedback

I agree. He's in finance and making silly money, but he's in the prime of his life and basically never going to actually enjoy it. Ahh well.

What's worse is within 2 years she'll be fucking another guy on the side, and either he'll wind up a cuckold or divorced and homeless.

FFX is fun if you don't mind stuff like random encounters and limited (sort of) leveling choice. It has a slow as fuck start, but if you like the characters and the story premise it should be good fun. Has nice music too.

CTR is great. Has fun controls that mean you get to powerslide to victory. If the races are too easy, then the relic races should be perfect. The lack of modern graphics is not a detriment, so the game hasn't aged poorly at all.

Don't take Kingdom Heart seriously and have fun with it. Has good levels and even better music for them. It might take a while to get used to camera controls and such and unskippable cutscenes exist, so good luck with that.

Europoor detected. But yes, all 3 PS2 Ace Combat games are must plays, and even the 3 on PS1 are good too.

Pick up Gitaroo man if you can find it, katamari games are fun, and the Yakuza games are getting a reprint.

Ace combat Distant Thunder is just the alternate name of 04.

Wild ARMs 3, ACF, 4 and 5
Xenosaga 1-3
Digital Devil Saga 1-2
SMT Nocturne

If you want a good laugh and over-the-top combat against goofy aliens, you'll like this

You mean quadrilogy.

I can vouch for Ratchet and Clank 1-3 still holding up well as platformer/TPS hybrids, but 2 and 3 have some notable mechanical improvements (proper strafing, for one), so it's probably wise to play in order. As for games with PS3 "HD" versions of various games you listed off, it really depends on the game in particular if the HD version suffices, or is even adequate, depending on how much care was put into them.

All models of PS2 are mostly PS1 backwards compatible. I say mostly, but while overall they are, some games have some issues with certain models. Spyro and Crash hold up well, even graphically for 3D PS1 games, though I will admit that Crash 2 did a lot to further refine what Crash 1 offered (Crash 1 is also a bitch to 100% due to how the checkpoints and saves work in that game).

While I agree, I think he's asking more about what his brother had.

OP, I can be sure of this.

Please don't sell, ruin or throw any of these.

With the games in question I KNOW this guy will come in 10 years asking if he can have them back.

Not saying this because you can make a buck, but this place is full of people who gave away their stuff and everybody regrets it.

Now you're on the receiving end, so please sit on those for some years and maybe we'll have a happy ending to this story for once.

At the very least, barring perhaps some of the PS1 JRPGs, they wouldn't be that hard to reacquire (at least going off of what's listed), but yeah, I agree. OP ought to play at least some of them, but still hold onto them. If not to keep his brother from getting angry down the line, maybe to be able to have some sort of game nights as a family down the line, or be the cool uncle in some years down the line, able to let his nephew play what the kid's dad used to enjoy (though of course, that requires teaching the potential kid his brother wants to be able to take care of games and such properly).

At the prices VGP, or perhaps Sega (depending on who's calling the shots) are asking for them, it's probably cheaper to find 1, 3, and 4 preowned anyhow, though Yakuza 2 might indeed be cheaper to get as a reprint copy (where I live it ranged from $45-80 preowned last I was seeing it around). Them asking $50 maplebucks each (or $180 with a $20 discount if one buys all four) is way too much, even for new copies, when you can find Yakuza 1 for about $20 and 3 and 4 for about $15 each where I am.

Atlus ought to teach them a thing or two on how to do good, reasonably priced reprint runs. Especially since Atlus is part of Sega now anyhow.

Good advice man. I'll definitely keep hold of them.

where do you live? i work 35 hours a week and make 60k, but average rent here if you dont want to be surrounded by niggers is atleast $2000/mo. and honestly… i pay alittle over that and im still surrounded.

48 hour a week and make $120k here.
Barely spend it too since I live in a commiebloc and the only thing I do in my free time is play video gaems. Planning to continue spending less than a quarter of what I earn and keep banking shekels until I can stop working really young.

Your brother had some pretty patrician tastes. All of those games are worth playing.

You cannot go wrong with ANY of those titles, personally My favorites would be ratchet and clank.

NO. GTFO.

Some of the best games ever made. Jak & Daxter series is the only one you're missing, but it's arguably not as good as the others anyway. Play all of these for sure though.

Also there's a fourth Ratchet on PS2 but it's kind of a spinoff, more of a shooter than the rest. Still very good though if you can pick it up.

Sly 1 and 2 are both very good, yet very different games. 3 is like a watered down version of 2, but still a lot of fun.

what do you work?

21st century Prince of Persia
God of War
FFX
Kingdom Hearts
Spyro

OP, thought of softmodding for all the PS2 games?

Forgot to ask, anyone got the upto date recommended games list for PS2?

PLAY VAGRANT STORY
UNSPOILED