Which one

I only ask here because I figure I'll be playing the vidya more than the actual card games, but which one is better?

Other urls found in this thread:

slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Neither

This one.

Pre-5Ds Yugioh.

card games are shit

I'm definitely open to better card games, I just figured these two seem to be the most loved so I'd have decent chance of having a good time with one of them.

Chloe a cute and best girl.

Do you mean vidya where you're just playing a simulation of the card game, or vidya that's just based on the franchise?

In vidya, yugioh basically trumps magic
Magic has some interesting things like Shandalar, a RPG magic game, or that turn based tactics game, but yugioh has series of RPGs, Strategy games, and the actual card game baked in to some of them
For playing online magic has shit like Xmage and cockatrice, but I find personally that they are a tad harder to use then YGOpro or Devpro, plus YGOpro and Devpro have yugioh puzzles, you get one turn to figure out how to win kinda stuff.

As for the actual card games?
Don't play card games on a meta level and you'll have fun
Card games on a meta level can be fun, but you'll run the risk of having decks that play themselves, or are just stupid broken

Check the yugioh threads for links on said games, as for Shandalar I think it's abandonware now so have at it mate

both are shit
TCG are cancer

but id say yugioh is better since the magic people are massive SJWs

Maybe belongs on /tg/,
Both are terrible.
At both games best they had heart. Yugioh wanted to make cool cards that people wanted to play, creating new archetype after new archetype with a decent amount of counter-play available. Magic had an excellent fantasy world that went through different themes of tribal and dual colour.
Both of them eventually went to shit because of corporate driven decisions. They cared about money more than the game, and in the case of magic they cared more about being in the public eye than they cared about the game (think esports). Yugioh introduced increasingly broken cards that lead to bans or serious power creep, EHeroes, XYZ, Synchro, Pendulum, the list goes on. Magic decided to fuck their lore up and have planeswalkers not only as cards but as the main characters, and every other threat the planeswalkers face is world-destroying because of that similar escalation. Also the ongoing push for progressive shit (black greeks, transgender mongol horde leaders, gays and lesbians) is getting tired.

Don't forget all of the magic Steam games. They all fucking suck.

Ah yes, the virtual jew at their finest
I'd honestly forgotten about these
Don't forget ya FOIL CONVERSION DLC GOYIM

Fuck everything.

Take it to /tg/

I was a moron and got the 2014 version. Little did I know that it had so few cards you were forced to buy dlc upon dlc.
At those price one might as well buy real cards.The digital version is shit.

Shadowverse is probably the best TCG right now. Extremely generous in terms of earning packs. Multiple Tier 1 decks are exceptionally cheap. Abundant selection of waifus to choose from.

both are scams to make money from. Avoid

She is not even part of the pack, let alone it's leader

You can play them for fun/timesink while on your toilet or competitive. Competitive play will mean you will have no fun whatsoever to begin with. Casual play mean you will have fun for some time but after that you will not be able to have fun because you either will swim in cesspool of casualfags or you go to competitive scene and will have no fun. I hope you get what I am trying to say.

manga?

I like yugioh because of the top deck comebacks you can make and how centred around the extra deck it is now a days

Magic has better art but Yugioh is more fun. I would love there to be an online gallery of all art featured on cards but I guess we're stuck with tiny thumbnails worth.

I know little about Magic but I've read something about some guy that was accused of rape (and did his time) receiving a permaban in the community once the word got out. Not sure of the circumstances but it sounds pretty pozzed to me.

I feel like konami have found a good medium between balancing all the top tier decks and creating a strong deck to nerf them later.

MTG used to be really good but as of late has gone to shit, both in terms of writing/world building and mechanics.
YGO was always shit.

Along these lines, anyone know if either of these is any good?

That's worse than AAA DLC.

If you want to play a game that actually plays similar to MtG instead of waifubait curvestone clone then give Eternal a try instead.

Can't speak for Magic, but YGO is a broken mess. I imagine it could be fun when friends play using shitty booster packs or with huge ban lists they made on their own. The meta is a bunch of decks that allow you to draw 15 cards on your first turn and FTK/OTK. There is no interaction between the players. It's a race to draw your fastest card and basically an expensive double solitaire variant.

Meant strongest, not fastest.

Zack Jesse was running hot in a series of sanctioned tournaments and was a favorite among some players. During a match that was being steamed online, notorious faggot Drew Levin took to Twitter and ranted about how disgusting it was that WotC allows RAPISTS to attend their events and how no woman should feel safe there. It came to light that 10 years ago Jesse was found guilty of "aggrevated sexual assault" and was sentenced to prison (he would get out early on food behavior). Nevertheless, after the event he received a ban of like 100 years (not a lifetime ban, just an arbitrarily page number of years) and had his online accounts seized.

Basically no one in the community was happy about this. People who argued for his ban were annoyed at how much power a single person (Levin) had, one who is not on the payroll of WotC or any of its affiliates. They were also disgusted at how it was executed: a lifetime ban in all but name is childish as hell. His online account was probably worth thousands of dollars as well, and he lost all of that.

Those arguing against the ban pointed out that he was reformed in the eyes of society and the law, so why should he be banned at all? It was also (I think) the first time a player had been excluded from all levels of organized play for an action that happened completely outside the game, and a decade ago to boot. Lastly, Patrick Chapin is a convicted felon and has at least one death connected to him. He is considered one of the best Magic players of all time, is in the hall of fame, and is effectively on Hasbro's payroll since he is compensated for travel and lodging for events.

For some reason they're trying to compete with Hearthstone in the digital realm. They're failing pretty hard because no matter how much they dumb down the game Magic is rendered way to complex and interactive to do online due to how priority and the stack work.

Mage Knight is the shit and arguably worse the more players are involved because it's so complex and long to play. On the bright side it's one of the best single-player board games on the market.

Get it, huh?
I still have my 5ed MtG decks.

MTG can be fun, but can very easily be not fun too. I regularly do Fnm's and not only will you have to deal with stupid decks, but also stupid and terrible smelling people.

For Yugioh play Tag force special for the best game playing the card game outside of YGOpro
Duelist of the rose for something slightly different

For magic play the 1997 PC game.

Well what an obnoxious piece of shit this Drew Levin is. Checked out his twitter and what a fucking nu-male he is.

Netrunner's pozzed as shit, but it *is* a good game.

Just play it on jinteki.net and never give FFG a dime tbh.

Duel Links is actually pretty awesome, one of the best mobile games I've played and so far the card pool is pretty damn balanced.

Mtg is better from a game standpoint. The community, outside of the pros at least, is incredibly toxic though. Going to something like low-stakes fnm can be one of the most unpleasant experiences you'll ever have.

Of course, all card games suffer from hordes of bad, double digit IQ players that think they're good. Magic is just easy to pick on.

I see everybody shitting on Duels of the Planeswalkers, and rightly so, but Magic Duels is gratis and a whole lot better. Still, if you want to play MtG digitally, just use cockatrice or xMage. Do not pay for Magic Online.
If you want to play somewhat competitively in meatspace, you can choose between attending events filled with mostly white, self-centered, unwashed (man)children in the case of MtG or mostly black, thieving, unwashed (man)children for YGO. Or play with friends at the kitchen table.
Still, I'd recommend Magic - do what me good friend did and build an UnModern cube and draft it with friends.

Play this game, OP. It's fairly balanced, has a decent length single player campaign and is basically a lighter form of MtG. There's also a sequel with an English patch and even the DS game isn't awful. The AI is retarded in the DS game though.

You can also play the Monster Rancher card games but I don't recommend them. They're not as fun as others.

both games used to be pretty great but their current condition is not so good.
current magic is pozzed to hell and complexity is going down while suits constantly make decisions bad for the game, mark rosewater is basically todd howard.
yugioh was always somewhat overly complex with a shitload of effect text but it gets more obtuse with each passing day, and it has double extreme power creep, also card advantage is nominally illegal (pot of greed) but there are still shitloads of cards that provide card advantage as good or better then pot of greed.

pls tell me they end fugging in that manga

so how is it with 2 players?

I found Magic to be really slow compared to Yu-Gi-Oh. Guess it's due to the culture and the thematic they represent. Magic works like a fantasy RPG battle, with you trying to gather your forces and outmaneuver the enemy, while Yu-Gi-Oh is an anime battle, it's really fast paced and drawing the right card can turn the whole game at any minute.

Yu-Gi-Oh metagame is fucking bullshit.

I wish there was something like a "Yu-Gi-Oh" classic with pre 5D rules.

Anything is slow to YGO since everytime a new expansion hits, it introduces more ways of TOW. If you want Magic in a similar vein, try competitive Modern. Its turn 2 to 3 there.

ygopro2 is a thing, with minor bugs

Superior card game coming through.

Fight me you faggot, don't run

alright nigger, what's your username

What the actual fuck is going on in that webm

Not you as in you, as in people who quit after 2 negates and just leave.

i poorly do my d/d/d combos
in an ideal case, i would have made crystal wing+siegfried and maybe had a leftover genghis on the field
but i tend to fuck up the lamia+genghis combos, or my hand was somehow not ideal
in any case, i made number 38+siegfried, and for whatever reason the guy ragequits after i negate two of his spells

Also doesn't help I never set up a YGOpro2 account to play or have a deck that's fully functional (since the dev refuses to make one of my cards summoning conditions work) So I only use it for testing varied side deck options instead

I see. I don't.But I finally realize just how much Power Creep there actually is in Yu-Gi-Oh

There used to be one that had hq card scans, but it got taken down. Best is this: slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=15 It has a ton of hq scans of mtg cards, but it's still an ongoing project. I don't know if there's anything for art other than the websites of the artists themselves.

ygopro2 has it's benefits though
for one thing, it chooses some things for me when there's only one obvious option there (like choosing the second xyz material when there's only 2 monsters on the field) so the automation is a bit faster than ygopro
AI mode works fine
the main issues are these:
you need to download 4gb worth of images for it
sometimes when you try to normal summon something, the game gets stuck and you lose because you run out of time
sometimes your opponent simply gets disconnected
but i'm willing to let it's issues slide, it feels a lot smoother and cooler than regular ygopro

In ye olden days if you summoned a blue-eyes and just that you might have a nice stick to protect yourself for a turn.
Try that shit now and you get OTK'd.
YGOpro is safe from creep since people always request matches with weaker decks so they can also play weaker decks, people there are nice enough to comply

Yeah the streamlined stuff is good, but the best benefit IMO is just if you have a replay you can attempt to have it run in YGOpro2 and look cooler for the potential viewer.
Improved a lot from last months update so I expect in a year it'll become the standard.

Hex has a nice PvE campaign and is the best MtG clone I've seen, sadly you can only buy some pvp boosters with rl currency, which you can trade for or sell shit in the auction house.
Eternal is anouther MtG clone, maybe not as fleshed out as Hex but it's newer, personally I didn't like it cause it reminded me too much of hearthstone.
Infinity Wars is my personal favourite since it's not another mtg clone with a few changes here and there, it has a simultaneous turn thing going on which feels pretty fresh, sadly it's pretty dead at the moment and it takes a long while to find a game.
dev/ygo pro are simulators and, well if you're into Yugioh pvp and puzzles they have everything you need.

shit, i didn't realize we can use ygopro replays, i've got a lot of shit to record then

Digital implementations of card games are still card games and therefore don't belong on Holla Forums.
Also, kill yourself for wanting to play CCGs, even digitally.

Sometimes they just don't work so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Card games that can only work as digital card games should be allowed.

This is now an Infinity Wars General.

Well then obviously it's a PSO Episode 3 thread instead.

Yeah, pretty much everyone hates him. An impressive feat in a community with as many mongrels and asskissers as MTG.

It's excellent.

here's a slower duel for people with autistm, a shitty worm+venom deck against a blackwing player who has no idea what his deck does
sadly since this is made in unity, shit tends to fluctuate between 30 and 50 fps when recording

Has he got his uppins in any way? The wallet or pure irony is a great way to deal with these faggots.

Very nice. Thanks for the link.