What is the best model/hardware revision of the Xbox360?

I want to play some XBLA and JRPGs but I don't wish to be troubled by RRODs and drives which cut deep channels into discs. Reduced fan noise would also be a plus.

Can I assume the last version of the 360 which mimics the appearance of the XBONE is the best because Microsoft should have been able to iron out the kinks after so many years?

I have also heard the "Jasper" revision is high quality and sought after. Does anyone know why?

Should I set up my 360 horizontally or vertically?

Will I have to mod my 360 with a new heatsink and thermal paste to prevent it from melting inside a few months later?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B0041D1L3W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486941480&sr=8-3&keywords=xbox+360+vga+hd+av+cable&th=1
amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-Audio-Video-Cable/dp/B000AYYADE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1486941480&sr=8-8&keywords=xbox 360 vga hd av cable
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I own a slim(the model that will supposedly never RROD in exchange for some hacks being unusable on it) I bought it almost 7 years ago only 3 months after its release to replace my dying model. It worked fine for over 5-6 years until I decided to replace the DVD drive with an ODE and dumped the drivekey. I installed an xk3y ODE(while accidentally killing stock drive but thats ok since I dumped and backed up the key for it using an old PC and a SATA cable connected directly to both mobos) the ODE lets me pirate any game and play it online as long as it was dumped from a retail and in my region/region free. Works just fine and has for years. My only annoyance has been booting it up. My only issue is that when i want to play XBLA games I have to buy em but since I've owned these systems almost since launch I already have a large backlog.

The slim model from around 2010 is the best. I like the 4gb version the best since the ones that came with a hard drive have glossy black plastic instead of the matte the the 4gb have, see pic related. I know nothing about modding though so if thats something you are looking to do then I'd look at the older (fat) 360s. While they mostly look the same minus some of them not having hdmi they have several revisions of them. The newer revision that looks like the xbone (360e) is much cheaper and lacks all the av options that other models have like Optical audio out, vga, scart, s-video, component video.

I don't think it makes that much of a difference on it's own. Maybe it would if your room was cluttered.

Older models will definitely need to be cleaned, I'm not sure about taking the heatsink off though my friends have killed 360s doing that. I don't know if they were just being dumb or if it's actually hard.

Wait, Xbox360 has VGA out?
I can connect it to a PC monitor then.
Can I force regular games to do 4:3 on my CRT or do I have to letterbox the monitor?
Can I force XBLA games to do 4:3 on my CRT or do I have to letterbox the monitor?
Which models of 360 have a VGA connector?

VGA cables are separate, they don't come bundled with any model 360. You can go into the settings and futz about with the display settings until you get your preferred ones, I don't think it stretches the 4:3 of you're on a proper monitor.

Hipsters everyone.

Yes

Yes

Depends on the game. Good luck doing that with anything made after 2007.

See above.

Any 360 that has the standard A/V out connector. There are two variations of the cable one styled off the early 360 stuff (it's gray and thicker) and another styled off the 360 slim. Both should work on any console but I don't know if the OG cable has a spdif port on it or not. If you need surround sound stick to the slim because the optical audio out is built into the console not the end of the cable.

amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/dp/B0041D1L3W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486941480&sr=8-3&keywords=xbox+360+vga+hd+av+cable&th=1

amazon.com/Xbox-360-VGA-Audio-Video-Cable/dp/B000AYYADE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1486941480&sr=8-8&keywords=xbox 360 vga hd av cable

What? You can use VGA on an lcd too. Some tvs even wake up when a vga device is turned on and turn off a few minutes after you turn the console off so it's better then hdmi for me.

Are you retarded? The 360 didn't even have hdmi out on the original console natively. It was a console released in 2005 when CRT's were still incredibly common so saying it wasn't designed for CRTs makes me think you're underaged or a fucking moron. Probably both though

Still have the original 360 elite model that has never crapped out on me. Can at least suggest that if need one.

the original cable has an optical out.
source: i just checked.

I have a Jasper Elite, never had any issues or RROD. Also RROD is a meme, just don't have it on 0-24 and you will be fine.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why at every gaming expo of the time they displayed everything on HDTVs. Underage hipster who pretends he's older than he is because he worships a dead technology please.

I'm aware LCDs can use VGA, and I never said anything to the contrary, that faggot was specifically worrying about CRTs in his post.

I don't give a shit about CRTs you retard, you're just factually wrong. They developed the 360 so that it could use CRTs no problem because CRTs were were the TV that 95% of people had at the time. LCDs were vastly more expensive and were only beginning to get popular. Why the fuck would they exclude the majority of their potential market by making the 360 not very compatible with CRTs? Use your head

They developed the games on them with LCDs in mind because it was a popular technology on the rise. Did you ever try and play Dead Rising on a CRT? It's next to impossible to even make out what's on the screen because the game is stuck in a widescreen resolution. I don't need to "use my head" I was fucking there. Designing the system around CRTs wouldn't make any fucking sense given at that point it was more than obvious that the tech was dying. Use your head and stop autisticly screeching.

I never said they designed the system around CRT's I said they had CRT compatibility in mind when they made the system. You're acting like using a 360 with a CRT is unheard of but at the time when the console was released the majority of people had CRTs. Yeah obviously LCDs were the future and they had that in mind for the future of the console but they also didn't completely forego CRTs because that was the majority of the market at the time. How many people did you know in 2005 that had LCDs? Because I knew exactly one person who just bought one and it was expensive as fuck. Everyone else who played the 360 at launch played it on a CRT

Do you think video games are a market that caters to the poor? Is that why the PS4 is getting all this Ultra HD 4K support? And I never said anything along the lines of "they never got used with them" I'm just stating the fact they made games with HDTVs in mind. It doesn't matter how many poor people don't have the latest tech, that doesn't mean they don't tailor the experience on the highest end equipment they can access at the time. Do you think AAA game development studios of the time were testing their games on CRTs? Again, try playing Dead Rising on a CRT, then you can tell me that they were a focus.

Majority of people had CRTs but the majority of people with televisions did not have a 360. Most people had CRTs until the digital signal change then those who can afford it jumped to panels with a tuner board. The majority of people alive are old fogies who resist change they don't have a good TV nor a game console.

With the exception of niche stuff like Neo-Geo and top-end gaming PCs, yes of course.

Rich people have real Lamborghinis and don't need to dink around with Forza.

to be in ja pan
HEY
in the summer time
HEY
close to the e-
YEAHP

Maybe in 2011 Japan flip phones were still going strong but in 2017 everyone has an Iphone.

Go watch some youtube vids of Tokyo. Every Nip is looking down at their normalfag device.

No its not, I had 2 360s that needed to be replaced by Microsoft and I barely played mine. Everyone I knew that had a 360 got RROD.

CRT hipsters get off ma board REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have an original 20GB model, coffined and replaced twice during the rrod. Still works but needed to crack it open to dust it and clean it a bit. Non-hdmi but my hdtv did component 1080p so it was still good after I upgraded my old crt without hdmi out.