Armored Core

What's the best version to start with Holla Forums? What shit should I read to be able to grasp what the fuck I'm doing?

Only played a brief segment of Last Raven right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DHxAIZLVrQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you are playing the PS2 ones, start with 2 or 3, then move onto the other titles in the order of release. Skip Nine Breaker if you do that, though.

why would you skip it in particular?

Nine Breaker is the arena and training missions. If you are playing the games like that, you shouldn't need to go through training.

Armored Core 1

If anyting play it if you need parts before you touch Last Raven.

The release order is actually worth it.
The ones one can skip are the PS1 games but if you play at a decent resolution and custom controls, it's a charm.
Otherwise start with AC2 and go from there. I highly recommend playing with a custom control layout. Playing AC2 with a control scheme similar to AC4 was a dream. Like playing it for the first time again.

Have fun, user.

Play Armored Core V and Verdict Day first. They're the objective height of gameplay in the series. 4 is just tryhard anime bullshit and 2, 3, and all the spinoffs, are just dumb shit where you're better off playing ZOE

Never touched 1 because it's not 60 fps and the graphics aren't high resolution so eh fuck it

by the wya when are they gonna port some armored core games to the PC MASTER RACE?

Hey buddy I think you got the wrong website, reddit is 2 blocks down.

let me know when you can play your video games in 4K 120FPS PEASANT.

Reddit shitposting aside though, a lot of the games are pretty different and varied from one another so any one of them that picks your interest, just jump into it since there's generally multiple games like it that expand upon the gameplay that caught your interest.

V has Verdict Day (which both of these games sucked fucking dick imo), 4 has fA, 3 has a fucking shitton, and 1 has I think two other games. I'm not sure about 2 since I've only played 3 onward.

4/fA is my personal favorite but you'll find something that'll scratch just about any mecha itch, so long as it isn't 'big stompy tanks,' in which you should play some shit like Steel Battalion, Starsiege, Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior Living Legends, and so on.

You have to go back.

yes AC2 was great, followed by 3

How are the PSP Armored Core games? Do they play well on Vita?

They are just three of the PS2 games ported over and a spin off. It works better on Vita because of the second stick

Man, you started with the one game you're definitely not supposed to start with. I wouldn't say there's a "best" one to start with. Stylistically, the series is pretty consistent from the first to Last Raven, However, 4 changed things up by putting an emphasis on speed. V went back to taking things slower, but is still significantly different from previous games. Considering you seem interested in the era the games were Sony exclusive, the first one, 2, or 3 are pretty good starter entries. Keep in mind that the games largely exist as pairs or triplets, where you can transfer owned parts from an earlier game in the group to a later one.

Here's some tips if you play any of the Playstation 2 games (Armored Core 2, 2: Another Age, 3, Silent Line/Last Raven / nexus)

Each number (AC2, AC3) pertains to its own world setting, so Armored Core 2 takes place in another place/age/setting than 3 does, and the story is different.

Start with 2. The setting takes place on our solar system. You take missions as a Raven pilot on Mars. Missions are given out by corporations (Zio Matrix, LCC, Emeraude, etc). Its a corporation vs. corporation front-line war for cutting edge technologies (secret R&D facilities), land acquisition/defense. You end up discovering what seems to be a hivemind automaton infestation taking over underground railways, cities, etc. Is this alien technology left over from Mar's ancient civilization? Who controls these things?

I don't remember 3, but its about A.I. controlling the surface of the Earth and killing everything that enters, and you slowly reach the surface from the depths to take it on.

Tips: Do the arena to get credits, use machine guns for cheap easy wins. Be sure to make your AC to have high EO (Energy Output) just pick a Generator with high EO. Get a booster that has low Energy Usage so you can boost for a long time. Or a super powerful one with best Boost Power:EN Drain ratio. Legs have high energy drain which lowers the recharge rate of your energy, so keep it in mind.

(armored core 2) If you can't beat an AC in the arena, pick out a Pursuit Missle back weapon and start on Highway. Let the AC come to you, then release 4 missiles at him. Easily 4k damage before he can hit you.

Also, shoot the roof in the Garage test room and fly up there to get 2 free radars to sell for like 100k credits. (To fly up there with bad booster/EN drain, press L2, R2, R3, L3, probably L1 & R1 at the same time to activate infinite Energy for 1 minute)

Picking quad legs makes you not able to choose a booster, so high EN usage usually occurs and you can't boost good.

Special parts are pick-up-able on the ground in some missions. Check on gamefaqs for the missions, some items are very, very good. Moonlight, Karasawa MK-II (best laser wep), some boosters, back weps, etc.

1 2 and 3 are the only ones with comparable gameplay. 4 and V both take sigificantly different steps.

Last Raven is also the hardest and so playing previous games is mandatory, unless you like being fucked in the ass without lube.

Might as well chip in a tid bit about Silent Line to anyone who is going to play Silent Line, I'm gonna be upfront and give you a heads up that the "build your own NPC AC" AI also applies to the arena opponents. So no, the weakest opponent you beat on to train your pet AI inexplicably improving and getting harder to beat each time you fight him is not a coincidence.

Firstly, AC: Formula Front is a PSP original. The JP version, and the game design was intended to build-your-own-AC and setup A.I. for it based on what you made, i.e. defensive-at-range for sniper builds, etc.

American/International PSP version has manual mode where you can pilot your AC like every other game. This was my favorite psp game as a kid and I have fond, nostalgic memories for it. You can sink a week of fun into it, its quite interesting and is the most complex arena system of all games, if I recall.

There were PS2 ports to the psp of AC2-3, and those are pretty much replicas of the games, though I've only seen it in person for a few minutes. It might have slight changes, graphical wise.

AC4 and AC4: For Answer is an improvement in tactical feel and movement. Quick boosting really gave the game a wonderful aspect, you could dodge almost anything. Its a huge graphical advancement jump to 1080p, crisp mechs, and the setting felt mystical with huge structures that glimmered in the light which took 2 minutes to get to.

Also, obligatory AC music thread.

Not a single armored core game to date runs at 60 FPS.

Not a single armored core game to date runs at 1080p unless you're emulating.

Come on people.

But.. I recall playing in 1080 and seeing the GUI being crisp clear.
What about this? It is 1080 and 60 fps

This basically counts as AC music, right?

Please learn to read

YouTube's 60 FPS function as well as capture card 60 FPS capacity doesn't automatically mean that game captured run at 60 user. Same goes for resolution. All ps3/360 ACs were internally rendered at 720 and locked at 30 FPS.
I mean you can see it in your own video, can't you? It's uscaled and runs at 30

Not really, metal wolf to AC is what mechassault to mechwarrior.

You first.

how fast do ac3 games run?

Ntsc versions run at 60 interlaced frames. Meaning if you're trying to play it on a modern TV or monitor you're stuck at 30 progressive.
Pal versions are 50i.

To elaborate, running it on proper CRT TV it was designed for will result in visually smoother frame rate, but it still doesn't compare to real 60.

It's sad that there's so many people who started Armored Core with 4.

Face it. ACE1 and 2 were amazing. ACE-R was a lump of shameful shit.

The Ai AC system in Silent Line was impeccable.
I wish they brought that back in 5.

Hell. Everything about AC3SL was perfect. The story. The graphics. The allies. The weapons. The Unlocks. The replay value. I'd kill for a remaster.

…. I wish I had a time machine.

Because I'd do this shit all over again.

Sitting around waiting for the next Armored Core game, mastering Ninebreaker…Then Last Raven hit and the fanbase lost it's collective shit.

Those were the fucking days.

youtube.com/watch?v=DHxAIZLVrQQ

I'm still dissapointed they didn't reverse engineer Silent Line or Last Raven's AI as a hidden Troll mode for NORMALs in 4 and 4A. Just imagining the tears from all those Newbies when those otherwise disposable mooks start moving like the ACs from 3 would've been hilarious.

Armored Core sucks
It sucks so fucking bad, dude

My little user can't be this casual

Return from whence you came.

anyone doing an AC thread is my kind of nigger. dumping my AC Nexus concept art folder. a fellow user dumped it waybackwhen.

well, the art was released with Nexus, so you'll see everything from it and prior represented as one goes.

Kawamori is a god.

/dump

didn't mean to kill thread

He could be that user that autistically insisted on trying the missions in chronological order in Armored Core 2 after getting his ass kicked by the tutorial and kept dieing at the beginning of the second mission because he didn't bother to take the time to get used to the controls.

Time zones user.

God damn I fucking hate Grand Chief. One of the most annoying AC I ever fought.

Any AC's that shouldnt be played? I heard some were kinda shit.

V is pretty much made for the multiplayer. Verdict Day has a more substantial single player, but you really should play For Answer before it. Ninebreaker is just an arena and training missions. Ones released before, I think, Nexus have a control scheme that might take some getting used to.

I played 3, silent line, For answer, V which I didn't actually think was to bad, and verdict day which I thought was garbage. I heard some of them have a heat build up thing when you walk making them gay as fuck.

Isn't verdict day just V with more shit in it? Why do you honk it's worse?

Verdict Day's multiplayer is worse, they also changed a lot of things from V to the point where carried parts are not tuned because their tuning is incompatible with Verdict Day. But the multiplayer is the important part because most of V and Verdict Day is online multiplayer content. V's servers are dead by the way.

Always nice to have concept art.

But anyway do you think AC6 will go full fast or go back to something like AC3-LR?

I really didn't like Verdict Day, I tried it after playing For Answer which I really enjoyed but I got bored with VD.

I liked the missions in V way more than the ones in verdict day, they actually had some meat to them. Verdict days was 2 minute shit fests.

vd does some cool stuff but it starts really poorly and the missions themselves are largely less memorable than those of 4/4a. it captures the clunky votmoms feel really well though and the ui is godlike

I did like the UI.

That mech looks really badass.

Well of course it looks badass, it's the protagonist

Uhh, play them on release order? Kind of a stupid question that could be easily answered using your search engine of choice. Oh noes, but you surely want the highly regarded Holla Forums's opinion ob X, right?

Actually I will give VD one thing, and thats the final boss.
Spoiler
you fight a NEXT from armoredcore 4/FA. Well a copy of a next but it works all the same. And you, in a "normal" kill it. Placing on top of the dogpile for most badass pilots. I thought it was a pretty cool bossfight even though it kicked my ass.

You should stick through VD's campaign. There's something at the very end that I think you'll really like.

?

Test Post

Playing them in release order associated with the series number is recommended because you can carry over your save to the next game.

AC2 really ain't that hard to begin with, you can do only missions and ignore the arena totally and do just fine just as you can do the Arena in it's entirety before any missions and do just fine too (Werehound and Castor will fuck your shit a couple time if you're not on point though

That already happened in AC2AA kinda
Fucking ⑨

I thought so too, but he was so completely out of his element with the controls he ended up getting killed right at the beginning of the second mission every time (unless Eliminate Informer was a different mission number). It was painful to watch him floundering around like a fish out of water, absolutely refusing to skip it or go to the arena.

*No wait I double checked, the webm wasn't fully corrupted and I could read the text it's actually Defend the Bridge the fourth mission, he also complained a lot about the second mission too and everyone kept telling him to go to the arena and get some money so he could upgrade.

Oh I can see that one really fucking up newbies, enemies have large amount of hitstun and there's little stable ground so going in with the default build (which is generally what newcomers will do) is kinda hard.

I literally just played that like 30 minutes ago and can attest to its bullshit level.
Watching my ac spaz out was funny, until it stopped being funny.

Any autists want to explain the different type of industries and their goals? What's up with the Kojima lasers?

Armored Core is trash. MechWarrior is a thousand times better.

Is from ever going to actually release another AC?

Just started playing nexus, seems pretty good so far.

The different industries are trying to fight for supremacy while knocking down the competition. Beyond that the biggest difference is their parts, and whatever conflict the various companies are involved with while hiring you out. Otherwise they're basically all just giant mega corporations with various industries under their umbrella, and various reletionships in terms of power. Beyond that I have never noticed any significant differences between them to matter.

The Kojima parts is basically just specific parts taking advantage of the Kojima particles mechanic which is itself just more of a shout out then anything for why it's named Kojima Particles.

The way I see it (especially with the designs of their parts) is how each corps specialize in a certain field like Interior Union in lasers and having a full female employee and pilots. GA for their military might and products and can be regarded as 'what if TTP went through' but still docile with Interior Union because of fossil fuel monopoly. That's why I was hoping for a nice summary and relationship between each other.

Shiet nigga I just bought that kit in Tokyo when I went there. I have not set it up yet though.

Kojima weapons fuck up primal armor/shields because they use the same shit, Kojima particles. Its why there are a few mission in 4 and fA where you are slowly drained of it, the area you are fighting in has high concentrations of the particles.

It would help if the game actually explained the mechanics primal armor, but I think that was only explained in the never translated art book. At one point I thought the various vents on the NEXTs were supposed to be vents to release Kojima particles for the armor.

Tank legs, they're you're friend always, they're also 21700cr cheaper than your starting thing

I thought those vents were just there in an attempt to look cool and stylize the NEXTs.

Well you can't transfer shit into nexus or last raven, literally the two biggest games in franchise.

I wish Gundam Breaker was this customizable.

False, Nexus transfers directly into Last Raven.

bump

Don't listen to that part, OP. I don't care if the asshole enjoys the more open areas or whatever but that's legitimately bullshit advice.

Did they correct themselves on that online shop bullshit with Verdict Day?

You have failed to explain why non-PC systems are superior to PC. You have decided to not present evidence so there-for you have lost the argument.

So here is my own.

I can play any AC game on my computer for free, far superior visuals, remapping, choice of controller, better audio, and with a higher and consistent frame-rate.

The defacto opinion on this webzone is that PC is superior to that of non-PC's, you are the redditor in this situation and you need to go back or kill yourself, which ever is more convenient for your situation.

An user probably half a year ago posted a few webm's of a remake of For Answer, but on the PC and in Unreal Engine 4. It looked too good to be true, but the problem is is that I can't seem to find it (It was all in Japanese). Does anyone know about that?

So have you ever actually checked out the options menu of any armored core games you played?

I'm strictly in favor of playing games the way they're meant to be played first. And my own personal taste is that I actually like the PS2 visuals, and I could care less about the framerate since I grew up on much much lower framerates.

And FYI GIT GUD a large part of the difficulty of the game is conquering the control scheme, changing them completely in an emulator says that you suck at tank controls.

I really need to try that sometime.
The grip, not ACV. Fuck ACV forever.

Go back to 3rd Strike, that's all you love anyway.

'HEY MAN I LEARNED THIS NEW-'

no fuck you.

fuck you, mr. DESTROY. mr. AEGIS REFLAKTOR. mr. i learned twelve ooohhh look at me.

or that meme game capshit vs snik deuce. BUH BUH IT HAZ VAYGAH nah nigga fuk u

btw please feed Bagheera, also Dutch wants more trash to play with.

I-is this normal?

Perfectly.

Despite personally using the regular old control I don't really see why anyone should force himself to use them if he really doesn't like them and it's not like having those is gonna make you magically good at the game anyway.
Also, where does this shit about AC having tank control comes from, it doesn't

Tank control meaning that forward and backward move the character forward and backward relative to the character's direction, while left and right spin the character. Example games include Resident Evil, God Hand, and Metroid Prime.

Because it's a fucking tech demo with like 4 pre-built mechs, one empty map and literally nothing else in it.
It's not a port or remake or anything.

Yeah, the idea is to make brand new mech for every new mission. Customizing and fucking around in your garage is also gameplay.

It doesn't magically make you good at the game, it makes the gamer harder because of a higher skill floor which is my point the games are significantly easier with a streamlined and simplified control scheme. Most of the challenge is conquering those controls, removing the obstacle of the controls and you remove a significant part of the challenge and essentially tell everyone you're not good with tank controls. I'm not one of those /m/ faggots who have this weird thing about how a mech is supposed to be controlled to be a "true" mech game though. Those guys are really into larping as a mech pilot so the tank controls leads to authenticity or something like that.

AC has strafing, hence not tank control same as most modern TPS, even RE separates both of those as their own thing in 5 and 6.

Badly phrased it I meant having custom controls isn't gonna make you magically better at the game.
I still don't get why according to you you're bad at the controls when whatever you're playing controls the same just not with the same buttons, buttons position is more of a comfort thing than any sort of actual difficulty, having to fuck around with your muscle memory isn't fun for anyone especially when the game asks you to learn somewhat complex movement like AC does.

Like dude, just play with one hand, playing with two hands removes challenge and makes games more casual, right? You're fucking stupid

It was a multiplayer tech demo
One or two anons tried to get a server up but nobody really wanted to play

Link to it? I want to check it out.

Nigger what are you doing

I'm currently playing ac2 another age
any way to get through the mt suppression mission?

yukirinmk2.hatenablog.com/
It's probably somewhere in there

The MEGA file it has 404'd, so fuck me sideways. Do you know anywhere else I could try?

Someone here's bound to still have it
Alternatively google or wait for that fucker to maybe release another demo someday

I forgot about that myself until you said that, here's some youtube videos of it.

There was another after those two I saved called 【第17回MMD杯本選】ARMORED CORE DARK RAVENS | Humam WAFI
but it was taken down due to copyright, don't remember what that was about.

On another note, embed'd youtube is from 4 days ago, seems he's doing something different now.

Here's one he uploaded about 15 days ago, he implemented Funnels apparently, looks cool.

Stop playing Last Raven, play through 3 and Silent Line. SL/Last Raven are objectively the best AC games to date for different reasons. SL is far more high mobility and there's the OP-Intensify for fun as well as AI training which is fun for autism purpose. Last Raven is difficult, a little clunky but a lot more balanced, and way better story than any AC to date barring maybe AC2.

Why.

From the way I see it 3/SL/NX/LR is one hueg game broken into 4 parts. Starting with SL is like starting game from 25% point mark. Starting with LR is like starting from 75% point mark.

Learn to dodge bitch boy, 3 is easiest of them all.

I would say Nexus is our 75% and LR is our 100%.
It's why I said start at 3, enjoy SL, then move to Nexus, relearn all your shit, and then play through LR.

I don't own AC4 but am interested in playing the PS2 games.

What's the AC4 control layout that you like?

If you're interested in the PS2 games, you won't like 4.

Can confirm. I adore PS1 and PS2 era game, but absolutely hate 4 and FA.

What's wrong with AC4?

Nothing really "wrong" with it, it just plays fairly differently from the earlier titles.

Speed. With the PS1 and PS2 games you could hold your own if not dominate a lightweight; in AC4 they can evade all your shots and work your hard before their energy depletes. Did the ability to shoot rockets out of the air start with AC4?

I miss overheating. Also really hate the having to go into that fucking targeting mode in ACV to replenish energy.

Speaking of speed, any tips on how to deal with verticality? I notice that I really feel like I'm fighting the controls if I have to aim up or down.

ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC WHEN ARMORED CORE PC

Manually? I believe so.

I don't remember having that much of an issue with AI lightweights outside of a few missions, but it was tipped too far in favor of lightweights. Part of the issue being that lightweights are still capable of holding quite large amounts of ordinance. ACV was a fucking mess of okay ideas that don't quite work. The scan mode was a fine idea for scouting, but having to bounce back and forth for combat was fucking annoying. Especially since it constantly announces it.

Never ever.

If it doesn't happen with AC6; it never will.

Always stayed in Heavy/Medium weight up until AC4 where my favored weapons and type of mech forced my hand to focus on something smaller as a main instead of an emergency mech.

Your core part shoots the missiles out of the air for you however it only shoots down a couple missiles in practice, otherwise you had to dodge all that shit yourself. Oh and for some reason the core parts shoot lasers for the missile defenses even though they have gun turrets with no discernible purpose if I remember it right.

You need to keep a distance to maintain a lock on reliably, you yourself don't need to keep a full view. Type of lock-on box dictates what the best distance is for certain ranges wide and shallow (WS) is for up close while long and narrow (LN?) is for far away. Beyond that you have to keep to the air yourself as the best solution when you're not far enough. It's a holdover of when the aiming controls for up and down was separate controls from moving forward or strafing like turning and where there was advanced turning techniques which made rapid maneuvering much easier. If you have aim problems even after you take to the air look into your arm and head parts.

*AC4 has it's own version of this rapid turning using quick boosts. To perform a quick turn, release the left thumbstick, then hold the right thumbstick to the left or right and push the Quickboost button

This place is strictly idorts only, shitstain

The machinegun with highest ammo cap with shoulder ammo has highest possible damage output. It should carry you through every game in the series if you don't waste ammo. Booster/genterator should be able to hop continuously. I think I always used the highest output for both with high turn rate legs to cheese everything.

What stat should I look out for?

Just emulate it you faggot.

I've been emulating 2, and, while it's mostly fine, there's a very annoying bug where certain sounds, if they were playing when the mission ends, keep playing through the main menu until you go on another mission.

I hate consoles so fucking much

For the arms arm maneuverability, and aim precision. For the head camera stats pretty much, the higher the better. FCS is also important for example a poor dual processing and ECM resistance results in problems with multiple weapon types and maintaining lock-on capabilities respectively (hence the reason your lock box can outright disappear at times). For the lock-on box itself FCS and weapon types is what affects the lock box. Other things like turning is also great for long distance tracking and making your maneuverability up close or mide range much better so that's always a tuning priority for the torso.

I'm pretty sure you can press select and learn what each stat actually is in the garage.

*sorry, for the legs that's where the turning stat is the core has stability alongside the legs for stunlocking.

Setting the DelayCycles setting in the SPU ini from 4 to 1 in AC2 fixes the persistant noise bug.
It's actually something that happens on real hardware too apparently but maybe just slim PS2 (wouldn't surprise me I had one that wouldn't run TS2)

Thanks user, the advice helped be get past this arena fight I was having trouble in.

No problem.

bump

what the fuck