Parts of Videogayms that stump(ed) you

What are some parts of videogames that stopped your progress as a kid (or as an adult) Holla Forums ?

The Forest temple in OoC killed little me. I couldn't figure out what to do with the poe sisters and I was to autistic to advance.

Those plane training missions in GTA:SA just made me ragequit. I got through the annoying rc mission and the "ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN" mission with ease, but to this day I just don't fuck with the plane training missions.

When I was a kid, I was a cowardly little faggot. Those lizafos in Dodongo's Cavern stopped me from progressing because I was too afraid to actually attack them. I thought that they'd gang up on me, so I hid undearneath the metal shield like a god damned turtle and just watched in horror. Then, I realized I could attack one at a time and the other would just sit patiently and wait for its turn to take a few sword slices to the face. Before that, in LTTP the Goriya scared the fuck out of me. They'd only move when I moved, and I just thought that was the most terrifying shit I'd ever seen. I eventually grew out of my cowardice and completed the games, but damn if I don't remember how horrifying an experience vidya was for my young self.

Were you playing on a PC with a keyboard and mouse?

In Broken Sword 2, you're at a film set somewhere in the last third.of the game. There's something or other involving a shitty, hard bun, a bush, and hornets. I was so sure you just had to throw the bun in the bush, but it didn't work.
Sure enough, I was in fact right, you just had to throw the bun, ask for another one, and repeat. That was so counterintuitive me and my mom were stuck on this for the better part of a week.

yes

I remember having a lot of trouble with many games back in the day because my TV was so shitty I literally couldn't see where to go. Pre-rendered backdrops specifically were a nightmare.

Forest Temple in OoT had me stumped. There was a vine wall to your right that blended in with the background if you had a shitty TV. Took me for fucking ever to notice it and get the key.

I never got bombs or into anywhere that required them in OoT because nobody in my family (that played the game) understood english. I don't think any one of us even knew that you could play as an adult link. We played the game a shitton despite that fact.

I don't think I ever got into Click Clock Wood in Banjo Kazooie. I vaguely remember failing to interact with the puzzle, we thought you'd need special wooden puzzle pieces to complete it.

It's cliche as fuck at this point, but it's true this stumped me for over a year as a lad and I had the fucking official guide book. Also, not a puzzle but i remember getting stuck and really frustrated with the pic related boss fight pretty funny because replaying the HD rerelease as an adult the game is piss fucking easy, kids truly are little retards.

this whole fucking game

only time I ever had to buy a strategy guide (didn't have internet at the time)

This little fucker

I could see that boss being trouble is if you neglected to level up Wakka, which is pretty easy to do if you just use Lulu instead of him.

It's ok user, I used to be afraid of that sharkk on the lad at the lake

I'm playing that level right now and giving me trouble. Not because it's hard, but because it's too big and so fucking boring. I have most of the puzzle pieces I'll need, but going around collecting all the music notes and scaling that big fucking tree 4 times is a pain in the ass. Click Clock Wood was a mistake.

I couldn't beat the final boss in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga as a kid. I didn't beat the game until a few months ago, a few years after my stepbrother lost the cartridge, and an entire decade after my parents bought it for me. And I only beat it because I cheesed the final boss with Shroom badges equipped and having 99 mushrooms in my inventory.

That explains it
The flying controls on PC are fucked as rudder controls are mapped instead of the turning ones by default so you end up completely spinning your plane to make turns instead.

Fuck that guy, and fuck you for making me remember it.

That's exactly what it was, I thought Kimahari and Auron were cool as shit and I thought Wakka was gay.
I was like "he fights with a ball are you serious?" and he was basically perma benched when I was a kid.

To be fair that boss is tough as shit, especially if your not that great at the reaction commands.

Jabu Jabu's Belly was too much for a 7 or 8 year old me. Actually completing OOT took me so many years it's ridiculous.

Remember getting too scared of the redeads so much that it stopped my progress in the game, and I did side stuff instead. Had a lot of hearts and skulltula tokens thanks to this

I dont know if it was this, the light puzzle, or something else in the Other World. There was also this game called D on the PS1 that had a puzzle involving astrology or constellations and I had to look it up because I forgot all about those as a kid.

Not when I was a kid, but Hotline Miami 2's levels Dead Ahead and the final Hawaii level are brutal.

As a kid I would play Spider-man 64 with the Cheats so I was able to get through the whole game except for this final level.
Monster-Ock terrified me and worst of all the invulnerability cheat doesn't work on him because you lose when he gets too close to you.
I wasn't able to actually beat the game legit myself until I was 13 and got over my fear.

Yeah the PS1 version had full motion cutscenes but IMO the 64 version was scarier because of the DIE! roar at the end of the scene which isn't in the PS1 cutscene also spider_man is says stuff like "I need press R1 to webzip up" durring the level which completely ruins the tension.

This webm uses an emulator so the walls don't work properly they're not meant to cover the screen like they do some times.

As a kid, when I got to the boss room I was confused as fuck as to why the coss wouldn't appear. Tried shooting arrows at the paintings and shit but nothing happened. Eventually said fuck it and tried to leave the room and felt like an idiot when the barricade popped up and the boss appeared. Jabu jabu's belly also stumped me, yet somehow the water temple didn't.

Also, the fucking crane game in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon's Toy Castle.

That fucking helicopter toy mission in Vice City

Anything underwater, especially in Jak and Daxter where if you swim too far a giant fish eats you.

The first broken sword is confusing as fuck at times. Good game though.

I was stuck in Monkey Island two for a few weeks, I had literally no idea what to do. I was sure I tried everytihng on everything to no success. I finally succumbed and read some faq I could find on the web and found out I had to put the female pirate's picture on the wanted poster. I wasn't that good in English at the time so I'm not sure if someone mentioned it should be done or not, but Jesus Christ that one was out there seeing how big the game world is.

man, I really, really sucked at video games as kid.
Anything I had trouble with or got stuck at for days or even indefinitely, nowadays replaying these games I have almost 0 problems

This reminds me of Zozo in Final Fantasy VI. In that town, there's this room with a mechanism that retains a chest, which can only be opened by inputting a specific numerical combination onto a nearby clock's face. There are people in the town whose dialogue is meant to provide various hints about the number combinations, but I was too fucking retarded to solve the puzzle by inferring the combination from said dialogue. Instead, like a true autist, I sat in front of that clock, with a pen and paper, and I tried every single god damned combination until the mechanism opened. I don't remember what the number was, and I don't remember what was inside the chest (I think it was some kind of weapon), but I do remember the two fucking hours I spent trying to unlock this damn mechanism.

I could never properly pilot a helicopter in most games without ramming into a building or terrain feature, or flying in such a self-conscious and slow manner that I would constantly get swatted out of the sky moments after I take off.

My first time playing GTA SA I quit at the flight school, but my second time I was dedicated to going through it. I was a poor PC fag and was told the only way to do it was with a controller, like the game was designed for. Seemed like it was the case.

But, I told myself I'd push on and rebinded the flight controls to something I can more practically manage, and bound them all to the numpad. It was odd, but it worked after I practiced for a little while with it. I passed the flight school but continued to fly casually, and I really got a passion for it. So much so that I decided I wanted to be an air plane pilot, I fell in love with the idea of flying.

For one reason or another, the plans of becoming a pilot fell to the wayside, but I still love flying in games and no doubt in GTASA. Rich, full flight controls with pitch, yaw, roll, is all very satisfying because it requires for you to get good at a truly three dimensional way of thinking - unlike in most shooters where you are practically just clicking objects on a screen most of the time. Just as a comparison there.

In the end, I think it's important not to give up. Sometimes your tools are to blame, but you can find and create new ways of thinking to get past difficult tasks and can always succeed if you put in the time and effort.

I learned how to pilot helicopters in BC2 with a mouse. Became godly at it too and ended up playing a lot of 60-2 matches on those more open maps.

Now that's artificial padding.

I couldn't beat the Mist Dragon when I first played FF4 as a kid. It's not like I had trouble reading, I was better at it than most of my extended family. I just hadn't played any games up to that point where reading mattered.

Switching doesn't even take a turn

Switching isn't enough to earn experience. They have to make an action in battle.

I am the exact opposite. I beat so many games as a kid and yet as an adult I'm a complete fucking idiot who can't see things right in front of me and who will somehow get stuck not only on easy puzzles, but on easy puzzles that I've done before. I am the reason every game has hand-holding and waypoints now.

I got stuck on the mountain. Not on the Seymour fight, but with the wolves. They just destroyed me. I never thought to go back and grind for what, 30 minutes. I breezed through it on the HD remake as well.

Right here, moments ago. I decided to look up the solution and found out how to handle this room, and I was shaking my head family.

Hey guys how's it hanging?

GET BACK IN THE WALLS WE HAVE GUESTS OVER

O-ok. If you guys need anything don't be afraid to call…

I just nope'd the fuck out

That sounds pretty comfy and adorable.

>ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME THAT'S THE HINT?
If that was earlier in the game I would have just fucking dropped it then and there. Jesus fucking christ. Good puzzler none the less though. Would recommend.

I was stuck on making V-Jolt for 2 hours the first time because while I knew the answer to the puzzle, I didn't know what "Red" and "Green" meant, considering I couldn't interact with the chemicals on the shelves. I spent a lot of time looking all over the accessible area for red or green liquids to put into the bottles, like the red weed killer in the pump. Eventually I looked up a guide and it mentioned getting the Dorm 003 key in the ammo room, which I had entered but didn't get the key, which is necessary to get the book telling you the names of the chemicals which is what enables interaction with them. What a stupid puzzle.

I honestly don't remember a single puzzle in RE3 that wasn't terrible, which is extra funny because the first key you find in the game is just sitting on a key rack right in plain sight.

HD remake made the water temple easier. I had no problems with the Water Temple myself once I realized I needed to break through on particular wall.

Water temple
I didn't know I had to play a song to change the water level.

There's an old, pretty unknown game called The Ward. I picked it up super cheap years ago on a whime at a flea market.

Never have I played any fucking game that's stumped me so many times, even for a point and click adventure. It wasn't even just a couple things that were totally convoluted, there was a bunch of shit that you could miss or just didn't make sense. It was a mind boggling and hair tearing experience.

Water temple is tedious not hard. The entire place is a maze full of keys, and once you figure out where you need to go you still have to pause and unpause a hundred times just to traverse the place and raise/lower the water level. I spent a week on it when it came out without a guide. There was never a point where a puzzle stumped me. Just bad forethought and design.

I never got past the Play Director part of Psychonauts. I had to find the rest of the script and couldn't. I thought maybe it glitched on me and restarted the game and advanced all the way to that part but never ever have I beaten it.

The main issue with the water temple in the original is how obtuse it becomes if you mess up when rasing and lowering the water levels.

That mission where you had to board the plane with a bike was fucking bullshit.

I actually thought the cart was defective and told the clerk at Blockbuster that the game was defective.

Of all the bullshit puzzles in the game you had to pick one of the most well designed ones. You're told which direction to go in another area. What's real bullshit are the entrances to certain dungeons. Nobody should have to bomb every wall in the game to find the final fucking dungeon.

what the fuck are you smoking? How is anyone supposed to figure that they need to go through a pattern in the woods with no hints or clues? The Flute puzzle for dungeon 7 at least had a clue and dungeon 5 was something you could brute force by accident. Dungeon 8 is easy enough to find just messing around with the torch. As for Dungeon 9 I even found its entrance by when I rented the game. Hell if it was like Link's awakening where it was north-north-east-north-north-east, I could forgive it. But North-west-south-west, is something you could never accidentally guess and it legitimately seemed like the game was broken. not to mention I was like 4 or 5 years old when I rented the game

lol

Basically all of La Mulana post Gate of Illusion. Both times I've tried the game, a few years apart, I basically rocketed through the first four areas, through gate of illusion, and then just don't have a fucking clue what to do next. I really like those first few areas where the puzzles are challenging but self contained and I really dislike how afterwards the game is all "go to this one spot in this one area to get this usable item, then run all the way back to the other side of the ruins to use it once and get a new item, then back to the first spot to use that new item, then off to an entirely different place to do one thing and then off to a fourth place, etc."
Chamber of Birth was really bad for this with all the retarded uses of random different items in rooms you could only access from separate entrances and having to run back to the gate of illusion for the cog which needed the lamp of time which needed bombs and a whole bunch of other shit scattered all over the ruins. Each puzzle wasn't difficult, it was just "can you remember which one place you need to run back to?"

This is a mix o things for me, got stuck a long time on the bank level on Spiderman because I didn't knew what to do with the bomb, and not understanding english at the time the remark spiderman does about having to put the bomb on a SAAAFE place just flew over my head,

I also was a scared little shit but the best at videogames on the house, so my sister and brother would advance scary parts of games specially DK64 Frantic Factory, Gloomy Galleon and the the cemetery one, and I would end having to face the boss at the end.

Also Chrono Cross, at the ship when you have to win in some kind of lottery just said fuck it wasn't enjoying the game all that much to begin with.

I just ragequit this game minutes ago because I kept dying at Rusty Bucket Bay. I unlocked Click Clock Wood already but haven't played it because my autism won't let me play levels out of order. The fact that you lose all your notes in a level when you die is just too much for me. I'll get like 96 of them and then lose an hour of progress from slipping off a twisting pipe inside the ship. After doing this like four times I gave the fuck up. That one level has taken me almost as long as the rest of the game combined.

The second section of the final fight against Grolgoth/Razorbeard in Rayman 2. You fall through the floor and have to fly around on a rocket above lava while it slowly rises. I don't know what it was but I just couldn't control it well enough to win. I actually gave up and came back to it years later to finally beat it.

I just gave up, fuck Zero and his fucking missions.

It was disgusting how hard you have to work for a single hint, just to find out it's completely pointless and vague.

Use a controller then.

I almost beat him once after using a healing item like I told myself I wasn't gonna do, but those subtle changes in his tactics at the end fireballs fucked me up.

Heads up: It's even more frustrating than Rusty Bucket Bay

It's a pain in the ass. I'd honestly like the level if it weren't so fucking big.

Don't forget that 4 times is optimal. Anybody playing it new is going to have to do it at least 8 times.

please be at least talking about facing him on DMD mode

These two games kicked my ass as a kid since I didn't have a Pokemon RBY/GSC file to transfer Pokemon from (nor did I know that that option existed), so I had to stick with Rental Pokemon.

Normal. It's my first time playing DMC in general.

I'm sorry user, you're mentally retarded. I breezed through the Forest Temple Before I could read when I was 4 years old, that's fucking right

I did get stumped on the water Temple though

I was talking about FFX HD, not Zeldo

wew lad, can't believe that hasn't been posted sooner.

This ledge in the fire temple. This is as far as I got as a kid on the N64. From every other ledge I'd jumped in the game, I knew that this was too steep to jump and pull myself up, so I tried every other possible way to get up to that door. I tried over and over again to find a way to jump from pillar to pillar in the room in order to hop to the platform.

Eventually I gave up, and when I played it on the Collector's Edition on Gamecube I said fuck it, jumped at the ledge, and Link TELEPORTS UP and grabs the ledge. Fuck everything.

There is a lot of gitting gud needed in this thread, my younger brother was 10 at the time and breezed through the game effortlessly.

This happened to me back then playing the 64, and it happened to me recently again on the 3ds version, shit's fucked.

To this day, I've never beaten the final boss of New Legends.
Xao Gon is a tough motherfucker and having your best weapons scattered around the map doesn't help either.
Very enjoyable game too. But yeah, I just have never been able to beat the final boss. Should try setting up my Xbox in the future when I'm not swamped with new releases.

Having replayed this game every so often since it came out this is one of the few things I can actually remember when I first played it. I ended up cheating and using a physical manual after 3 days. I even tried jumping to the ledge a few times and missed so I figured it was 1 way only.

There's a few bullshit areas of the game that make no sense and rely on you just randomly figuring something out. The actual parts of the game that are designed well are of a fairly normal difficulty.

I'm glad it wasn't just me then, because I felt completely retarded when I found out that you just jump at it.

There's a lot wrong with the presentation of Ocarina of Time's design. They'll often ask you to do things that are inconsistent with the game logic or just plain awkward as hell.

It's why I'm glad Breath of the Wild is taking the organic approach to puzzles where you actually utilize the game's mechanics to progress.
Goddammit I have OoT's "Item Found" sound effect looping in my head now