Balanced Competitive Games

What are some well balanced competitive games? Fighting, shooting, doesn't matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pkVhhyCm_Ag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Glasses OP.

chess

None.
Absolutely none.
no RTSs
no shooters
no RPGs or MMOs
no assfaggots

So none.

You could just put it across a doorway and zombies would gib themselves trying to get you.

lightsaber is the only thing that would give you a genuine advantage.

everyone can pack ammunition and bring a big backpack. who gives a shit if it's heavy. water straw is useless you're passing large amounts of stagnent water and don't know how to boil something. key doesn't mean anything because it doesn't matter if you break into a place through a window.

glasses break easy

2 minutes for 1 bullet is shit

ninja mask is for total faggots

grappling hook works great if you're a fictional superhero and/or worldclass gymnast

unless the laptop bellows fire it's useless as an offline thing

Shitposting on Holla Forums and getting away with subverting it.

The backpack is pretty useful to me, especially in a scenario where you have to run. It can also work as a shield and if you can fit yourself in it you can get out of sticky situations.

Your back. Your overall endurance.

If you believe you can drink any water by just boiling you're in for some liquid shit dehydration death.

One of the few things you got right

If you're in shoot out every 2 hours were you're dumping up to 60 rounds, you're doing something awfully wrong.

The lightsaber won't kill zombies significantly better than any blunt weapon and it is useless if you're facing some armed threat.

That's why the dog is the only reasonable choice on the list for any situation

Lightsaber is the least useful thing. If you draw it, you will be dead if you're lucky and permanently blind + horrifically burnt if unlucky. A plasma cloud that big, running continuously, releases enormous amounts of short wavelength radiation and heat. Arc welders give you sunburn and even little spark generators give off enough x-rays that people recommend keeping a distance.
And, the only way to operate it is by holding the thing in your hands!

The straw is lame because it's pretty easy to make a cheapo one yourself, but at least it won't kill you.

Go and tell /k/ that.

No, it's godly. You get 30 bullets just for jacking off for an hour and a full 60 round magazine every morning. Even in a modern tech + peacetime + good gun laws setting that's a good deal. In this setting, generally higher industries like smokeless powder and mass production have collapsed.

It's powered. Just nigger-rig a wrist or harness tie and you're good to go.

Pick Dog.
Have Dog Pick Handgun.
Attach Handgun to Dog.

Win at everything.

Also, A Boy and his Dog is an amazing movie.

And you can fuck the dog too. An excellent plus for those lonely nights.

yes it will, all you have to do is point it towards the zombies cranium and hold it there until they incinerate themselves on its point
its pretty much melee kills with no stamina/fatigue penalty and no risk of infected blood splashing on you
you're right about it being basically useless against other survivors though

personally I'd take the glasses because

Why wouldn't you pick laptop? Think about it, it never runs out of power and you can just google the information you need at the moment. If you have no survival skills and even if you do, this thing would be a life-saver. Don't know/forgot how to make a fire? You can find it on the internet. Want to find a map of a location you're in? Oh wait, you almost definitely have it on the internet. Almost any information you need can be found on the internet.

That and it would work as a great stress reliever, because I assume you could still play vidya and watch anime thanks to the internet being on your laptop.

The only thing from this list comes close to the laptop in the terms of usefulness are the glasses.

I want the hiking backpack for sexual reasons.

Backback cuck, please go.

You're stupid, user.

I rather this tbh

Lightsaber is OP, it'll allow you to get through any obstacle and light fires and effectively instant kill anything that comes to range. Glasses would be a good second choice.

Guns and bows are very unreliable for killing zombies since they don't care about pain or lost bodyparts. As far as human interaction, they don't give you an advantage over other people's guns.

Gaydar is like downgraded glasses except with extra range.

Dog can't do anything you can't anyway, except consume extra food and water. If you want to kill zombies then take one of the weapons.

Ninja mask is gay as fuck unless the world is packed with hostile human groups.

Water filter is ok I guess, since you need to drink A LOT, and constantly boiling water would get old very fast. But you'll probably be in cities anyway and can drink bottled water or something, and boil water when you're eating.

Grapple hook is the most retarded thing in the list, even considering the key. Human architecture is designed to be climbed in one way or another, so it'll only work as a temporary way to trap yourself away from zombies.

I don't know what the fuck you'd want the laptop for other than learning how to boil water or some shit. The glasses have a GPS and a whole load of other useful shit.

Backpack is meh, there's nowhere you need to get so fast that you can't just use a normal backpack and rest as needed. Running away from zombies doesn't sound like a viable thing to do unless you have a door to lock yourself behind, in which case you don't need to run anyway.

The options change a bit depending on if you're allowed to interact with other people. People won't just start shooting each other for their shit and be alone in a zombie apocalypse, they'd try to co-operate and get things under control. A water filter for instance could be extremely powerful, since you could use it to purify any water indefinitely for everyone without requiring fancy mechanisms or anything. The laptop would contain a massive amount of human knowledge that most likely every person alive combined doesn't have, you could use that to rebuild. Infinite ammo weapons would be very useful to defend a fortress, since zombies can't climb the wall so you could take your time clearing them out. But frankly you could do the same with spears and holes on the wall.

Water filter would be most useful in this situation

You don't want to be knotted for up to a half hour when the zombies are banging at your door. That's how you get yourself killed user

That would be hard to control though, and you could accidentally slip out if not careful. One bad step and you're dead.

what the fuck

user, I'm not gay. I was thinking more on something like webm related.

Sucks to be you I guess.

HowNewRU.jpg

post the skeleton one

I fapped to that before.

Well, fuck, I don't know about this, either.

Here you go nigga

I posted my fetish on here before about how I want to be in a backpack on someone`s back while he fucks my girlfriend. That got attention.

I am not picky on circumstance though. I`d be fine with being on my girlfriends back while she is in a gangbang. I`m fine if it`s two dudes fucking each other while I`m being sandwiched in the backpack while riding on the bottom`s back. I`m fine if it`s furries fucking each other while wearing me on their back and they go doggystyle or something. I`m fine with myself being in a backpack and being inserted in someone`s asshole or vagina while I`m in my backpack shell (The last one is impossible but turns me on).

Just so long as no one involved is black. That`s my limit.

Do you have the original too? I never saved it.

He posted it here

Ah right, I'm blind. Thanks user.

I personally like the Trump one. Where he cucks Hillary.

Pretty sure the glasses are objectively the best item. Though, this thing doesn't specify anything about the world or your situation. I'll just assume I am at home, which means I got a source of fresh water right in my backyard, a source of food from my neighbor's farm, plenty of firearms and ammo, all on a dead end street blocked otherwise by thick forests.

Ninja mask would also be good, though.

Here it is

I wish the art of these was better, but I still fap to them. Except the 4th here

fuck

I refuse to believe that man didn't make the post revealing his fetish, and then wandered off into the forest to be a cryptid.

Good taste backback cuck at least you can say you don't involve yourself with Sweden

well, im gonna need something to fuck in the apocalypse, and woman are human garbage so, yeah, the dog.

>>>/fur/

more like >>>/zoo/ considering it's a real dog and not anthropomorphized

epic meme fam

My nigger.

See
And get out, you newfag.

Then half of it would just crawl over to you and eat your fucking face

it passes the GRONK test so its ok to fuck it

I just don't find black people attractive. Also don't like feet.

no one cares Holla Forums.

Lightsaber

AGHAG GODDD DICK POOPOO

I just wanna have a lightsaber nigga. I'll probably end up cutting my own hand off with it but it's too rad to pass up

I honestly don't care about what furfags do, you're calling a zoophile a furry and that's stupid. Some retard on a suit is not real pet.
I wouldn't expect some redditor normalfag to know that anyway.

Are you feeling ok?

I'd remind you that "feral" exists.
They're capable of speech, if you're the type like what suggests it doesn't count if can speak the queen's.

Having any of those things would give you a tremendous benefit in an apocalyptic environment, and that'd just make you an obvious target for any bandits or survivors who want what you have because it'd make their lives easier, and so you'd be raped and killed and stripped of your possessions.

If the world goes to shit, I'd rather just die, honestly. Can't be worse than dealing with the walking dead, or some mutant humanoid amalgamation made entirely of some unknown corrosive substance, or having to live in a post-war depressed poverty for the remainder of my days. Granted, I'd probably still try and survive, but I don't need to go around making a target of myself.

Glasses. Information is the most powerful.

Samsho 5 special is the closest to a balanced fighter you'll get followed by Virtual 5: Final Showdown. Even the worst character can produce a good match in the right hands. Vanilla Tekken 5 wasn't too bad either.

It would make anyone's life even more easier by having your cooperation than what's in your pocket.

Fictional zombie apocalypse stories are retarded, nobody would just go around killing other people and risking their own lives for the sake of whatever that other person has in their backpack, rather than trying to work together.

Double the brains, double the workforce, double the combat capabilities, double the carry capacity. VS some bullshit that another person collected and that you could collect just as easily yourself.

it'd be pretty good

You're the kind of people that would get stabbed in the back first.
Enjoy being an eternal cuck.

The one thing you got right

Admittedly true if you don't have the google-fu for it, but it's not worthless

Zombie detector and bow are the real pieces of shit in OP pic.

This guy's not wrong. Communities show up rather quickly. Albeit, so do raiders.

60 bullets won't last you for shit in any sort of protracted gunfight.

You've still only shot down one out of seven of my arguments.

Why would you be using a pistol in any sort of protracted gunfight?

I'd rather be a cuck than get into gunfight with everyone I come across and die in the first day.

Don't forget that to kill a zombie, a hit isn't enough. It'll probably take several precise hits to the brain to kill them, and they'll be running and flailing towards you in the meantime.

That's because the rest I agree with.
But a key ain't that useful, when you know a thing or two.

To be fair it is assumed that the effects of the lightsaber are not harmful. Jedi use them a ton and they don't have cancer or burns. Maybe there is a forcefield built into it or something like that.

I still say the key's a pretty good pick, since it's faster than picking the lock, quieter than blowing the doors off, and safer than breaking through a window.

Depends on the engagement. If you're expending 60 rounds outside an assault rifle maybe, you've been there too long, and should've buggered out ages ago.
Depending on the pistol, 60 rounds can be quite a few magazines. Engagements tend to be very short, regardless, as it only takes a few hits for someone to go down.

The gun is still pretty shit, though. Ammo's not that hard to come by, and 180hrs for a full lot is pretty fucking long.

Sure, but when you have the option for a completely silent mask, or super goggles what show everything of value, I'd go with one of those to a skeleton key. You might get some benefit to opening some heavy government or bank crates, but really, those are rare, and high profile.

What the fuck dude

It's only 2 minutes for one bullet, times 60 bullets means it takes 2 hours to go from completely empty to max capacity, not 180 hours for a full lot.

Ah, my bad, I can't read for shit I guess.

Thanks a lot user these never get old.

Only because the mods aid and abet shitposters while banning anyone who tries to stop the circle jerk

>>>/facebook/

I thought you were fuck with us the entire time

Waterfags just won't shut the fuck up, will they?

I would like to thank OP for suggesting a much better alternative subject for this thread.

Oy vey white has a 52% win rate!

to answer OP's actual question
balance in competitive video games inherently does not exist because winning matches involve making decisions that involve risks, and if two people playing completely different characters in say, a fighting game picked different characters and played perfectly with as little risk as possible, one of them will always win because differences mean one of them is inherently worse at being safe
the traditional RTS is dying out because that element of risk is too hard to manage with the resources and time, which is why some games are called after the first major engagement
turn based games also suffer from being too much about calculating your actions, and RNG elements not necessarily being a product of bad decision making during gameplay or the other player outsmarting you but just getting lucky independently as a player

in the most balanced game, the only winning move is not to play

The winning party won because they were better, unless RNG or something outside of their control managed to weigh the outcome in their factor. Isn't that what multiplayer games should strive for, rather than throwing an RNG wrench into the gears to topple the changes in anyone's favor? I can see how such an approach could make sense for a party game of some sort, but for a competitive game? It just shits all over skill.

If you pick anything but the water purify you haven't planned to survive past the first 3month
the dog can be useful to have someone to talk with and scout but you have to rely on luck to find water after

You could literally just commandeer a bank vault or just about any large structure with doors and enter and exit it quickly at will. If you kept to the city, and picked rooms appropriately, you would never have to worry about where to sleep for the night if you wandered. Also, it should be noted that you could also use this key to trap zombies or people in rooms (temporarily at the least) with a significant amount of planning.

lol

Anyways I would pick mask or the glasses as these have the most functional use at the largest array of possibilities. The mask is extremely useful in gathering resources as well as combat (completely silenced rifles would be very useful). The glasses are the best all purpose utility, and help deal with the living. The laptop is extremely useful due to being able to look up how to complete any kind of task with anything you have on hand. The next best thing is the lightsaber, but the problem with this is that it's loud and its only good for killing things. It has very limited use outside of this.

I would probably end up going with the mask.

Back-cuck-pack is that you?

Are you intentionally being retarded? How long have you been practicing at this? Did you go to collage to become this inept with your brain? Do you get some sort of sick satisfaction from pretending you're this much of a special needs child?

Nothing on that list should make you think that any item on that list is bound by the rules of reality. Nothing.

And if society ever reforms, you can use it break into any website or bank account.

Boiling water gets rid of most of the biological nastiness, and if pollution's a problem you can just set up a distillery.
You don't need fancy-pants mass filtration if it's just you and a couple friends.

pic didn't upload

It's not him. It's me.

Mate, boiling water require at least a fire unless you know another way to do it. Good luck finding propane tank after the third month, or even set up a camp fire without attracting zombies or scavengers. Maybe the glasses can work but how sure you are the gps will make you a route for the safe street rather then head you on a hoard? Does it even indicate direction when you are in a shithole (i.e. Tunnel or sewer)

Are you autistic?
Fires need not be that big, so attraction from smoke is unlikely. Especially if you aren't a retard about it, and simply hide the fire a bit.

Oh, I bet you can totally hide the flame or the sound, I bet you can always find the source to keep it up even in winter. It's fine I will bring some shit to leave on your grave

Jesus fuck, mate, what's wrong with you?
Cityfags are scum of the earth, I swear. Why are you talking about shit you have absolutely no knowledge of even the most basic principles involved?

This faggot thinks you can't hide fire and can't find clean water in the wilderness. He's not going to make it week. People like you and I will survive though and if we wanted a water filtration straw we could just take his.

A true survivor picks the dog every time. Companionship is the most important thing in a survival situation. The dog can do many useful things and go places you can't, and he can do it faster than you, and he doesn't attract the horde. If he's on the level of a 20 year old and can talk he becomes instantly more useful. A regular dog would be better than everything on the list.

Plus you can get him laid and sell off the puppies. Assuming the inherit his telepathic abilities you can trade the puppies for anything. A magic talking dog has to be worth a lot of bullets and can food.

I'm not really that big on dogs, unfortunately. Plus, I think the intelligence would cause more friction than any benefit.
Besides, for companionship, I have my family. For that sort of thing, I'd rather go with either the glasses or the mask.

Being completely ignored by all zombies is pretty nice, though. But, outside cities, there shouldn't be that many zombies anyway, and a dog ripping and tearing isn't going to be that effective against them.

catfag detected.

Awww jeez aren't you cute? The pop of the wood, the flame being visible from km of distance. I bet you really are going to survive a lot

I feel the dog is most useful for these reasons

Even if he's intelligent enough now to realize I'm a lazyfag and an asshole he's going to be loyal to be like a solider. So I can trust anything he tells me unlike any human I may have in my circle.

He can carry water and other supplies for me. He can scout, he can fetch objects/food, he can flush out game for me to hunt. He can do anything I train him to do for the most part. This also means he's pulling his own weight to the small portion of food and water he requires every day becomes a non-issue.

Again, he's loyal. Unlike a woman he'll never leave me for Chad. He'll never grow jealous of things I might have and kill/set me up like other humans. He'll always be around to talk too and bounce ideas off of. He'll help to keep me warm in the dead of winter.

Thanks for admitting that the only fire you have ever seen is the campfire your dad made. Those are sweet memories and all but that isn't how fire works 100% of the time, you should start by googling an "ember".

Son, a footstep is louder. Are you really quite serious, here?
The flame is not visible from that distance unless it is quite big, leaving off issues of terrain, weather, and the ilk. Unless you are in a fucking salt lake, it's not a big deal. Easy to hide.
Cityfags leave

You realize hillbillies light fires in the woods every day to make illegal alcohol (moonshine) and hardly ever get caught, right? Hell most of them use propane burners that sound like jet engines these days. The sound isn't really the main concern it's the smoke that gives you away but even that can be hidden well enough with the right choice of wood. If what you're saying is true ATF agents would be cleaning up arresting moonshiners instead of having to find them via police work by tracking a product back to the source.

Get out of here with your theories cityfag you're not fooling anyone that's spent more than a day in the woods.

Or you can just disperse the smoke. It ain't too hard. Dry wood works best, but even if you can't, set up by a tree and you're mostly golden as long as you don't make it too big.
This is a very in-depth example, but if you set this up, basically, there'd be no real way to tell there's a fire there at all, even if you were close by.

teeworld, quake 3, and umihara kawase. i consider umihara kawase competitive because even though it is singleplayer, it's steam release has leaderboards and it is pretty competitive in that respect. if you count umihara kawase add devil daggers. for a game to be truly competitive i feel like it cannot be team based. no matter how great you are at for example team fortress 2 you will still lose if your team does absolutely nothing which isn't competitive at all

nox

Age of Empires 2 is pretty well balanced but it is mostly done through each civ being very similar.
Starcraft 2 was best balanced near the end of HOTS now it is semi well balanced at higher level. So it is not balanced but it used to.
TF2 was very well balanced if you don't use certain weapons. Few of them were not really unbalanced but balanced incorrectly, it had a lot of weapons for noobs essentially.
Obvious answers are games like counterstrike where both teams have same characters/weapons.

All I know.
Now real question. Why in no Zombie movies they use medieval armor or needle proof material? First thing you should do when each bite means death is to make yourself bite proof. Currently police everywhere is using material which is needle proof. Why every movie uses only guns from police stations? Real thing you should take from police station is uniforms.
Also lightsaber OP. Bow require too much skill and strength to be reliable. Gun is too loud to only use 60 bullets which would mean max 10 zombies for someone unskilled. Glasses and Internet would be good if you don't want weapon.
Lightsaber is effectively killing anything in melee range with minimal skill from its user. With good bite proof armor you could lie on the ground being swarmed by zombies and still could cut your way to safety.

Because armor is heavy, and it doesn't actually do all that much to protect you since it can be pulled apart by one guy trying to put it on, let alone a mob pulling it every direction at once.

Just jump into the backpack and go into cryosleep. (Food is preserved, so I guess you are, too.) Put a timer for like 200 years or something.

We are talking about mindless zombies it would took them a while to remove it. This moment could actually save you.
It would weight not that much, max 20kg for modern plate armor. Less for something similar to police riot armor or chain mail.
Also armor is extreme. Any cut prove material over your body would save you from dying. Just protect it from being taken off by applying duct tape and you should be fine. Your bone or two could get crushed but you won't turn into zombie. It also weights same as regular clothing.

How fucking small are you people?

Leather goes an awful long way with regards to bites and isn't really that heavy at all.

Pieces of shit I tell you what. It's man's best fucking friend you niggers (in a world without man at that.)

mario bros, the arcade one

dog is ideal, but its also another mouth to feed or another weight on your heart if he gets mortally injured.

then again whats the point in living if it cant be ideal?

there is no point in living
why havent i killed myself yet
im so miserable

Now this is a genuinely interesting answer. Whether anyone actually plays it is another question.

Obviously the straw.
You can survive an eternity somewhere in some desolate place with this and some canned food.

i want to fuck hecubah

Does the dog live as long as a human? Do its puppies inherit the same abilities?

A third of the list is near useless. Just rig a building with explosives and sound equipment, attract zombies with the sound, then detonate the explosives from a safe distance. The surrounding area is cleared of most zombies, which leaves you free to scavenge the surrounding buildings for food and water. Even if you couldn't get the sound equipment or explosives, it's not like it would be hard to bait something with poor movement and eyesight into a trap.

good questions

Dog is not for pickling.

Even dogs need their daily dose, user.

Just use the lightsaber to boil the water, dumbass.

consider whether or not chess would be balanced if these rules were involved:
1: before the first turn begins, both players write down what they would do if they go first, but not what they will do if they go second
2: who goes first and who goes second is decided by a coin flip
3: after the coin flip, both players show each other what they wrote and perform the actions they wrote, if they are accordance with the rules
during every turn
4: on turn 2, both players will remember the coin flip that decides who goes first, and both players will again write down behind each others backs what they will do that turn
5: both players show eachother what they wrote down, then do it
steps 4 and 5 would repeat for every subsequent turn

ignore that during every turn line

I was split between the glasses and the dog, but now that I think of it, there's no reason not to go with the dog. Dogs can track and hunt with an acute sense of smell, hearing, and sight if they're colorblind and can carry objects. In this case he can attack and kill zombies with no issue because they'll ignore him, can talk to you from anywhere, and has human intelligence. The real question should be what would you choose to survive the zombie apocalypse besides the dog?

Look at these nerds who are actually responding to the question in the OP and not just le zombie meme infografik

/thread

Symmetric games, games that gives the exact same power and attributes on both players in a 1v1 game, can be considered as "perfectly balanced", depending the gameplay.

Arcade puzzle games happens to be really well balanced as a competitive video game genre, but it heavily depends the rules of the game, even if it's the same concept.
- Puyo Puyo Tsu is balanced. Puyo Puyo Fever isn't.
- Tetris Friends Arena with Expert+ rules is balanced, but Puyo Puyo Tetris on a Tetris VS Tetris matchup isn't. Even if it has the same rules, more or less.
You have games that put the same random factor in both players, but a given random might be better for a player in a specific situation and the same given random can be deadly for the other one.

TL;DR: , and are full of crap, is a ruseman, forgot that Chess is a turn-based game and I don't even get the rest of this thread.

It's a "pop of the wood" because it's a fucking pop, not a damn bomb

Playtest that shit and see if it works.
I doubt it will though, chess has gone for around half a millennium without any really big revisions like that.

you have autism

Everyone has autism in this damn site, genius.

E-even me?

Unlimited arrows bow.

Especially you

I think balance is pretty shitty, somethign always gets the short stick while a change fucks with the whole system. you should be creating unique weapons that fill niches, not situations at large.

Pokken's entire roster is viable at a high level, there's very, very few matchups where the MU itself will really a significant factor relative to player skill