/agdg/ Amature Game Dev General /agdg/

"Copy Pasta edition"

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Previously on /agdg/ >>11861459

Other urls found in this thread:

designingsound.org/2011/01/exclusive-interview-with-the-sound-design-team-of-mass-effect-2/
benprunty.com/2013/01/03/heres-what-i-used-to-make-the-ftl-soundtrack/
transfer.sh/6dyLf/general.blend
www80.zippyshare.com/v/m75yPtnL/file.html
google.com.au/search?q=rusting painted metal&tbm=isch
github.com/kevin-montrose/Jil).
krita.org/en/item/interview-with-danny/
clyp.it/5xoo1s0q
pastebin.com/Ptw3aNMm
answers.unity3d.com/questions/357033/unity3d-and-c-coroutines-vs-threading.html
letsencrypt.org/
albahari.com/threading/
github.com/couchbasedeps/dotnet-tpl35
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd
youtube.com/watch?v=7XDcSXVUGsE&list=PLPRT_JORnIuo-DyoWbB7LBrhqlJnsltJq
youtube.com/watch?v=6v_7URcEGm8&list=PLPRT_JORnIurFYwHdWhLWR3bLH2nzChsm
just
allthetropes.org/wiki/Tsundere
allthetropes.org/wiki/Kuudere
allthetropes.org/wiki/Childhood_Friend_Romance
allthetropes.org/wiki/Romance_Arc
allthetropes.org/wiki/So_You_Want_To/Write_a_Love_Story
aww.moe/14677u.mp3
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.threading.manualresetevent(v=vs.110).aspx
bnfc.digitalgrammars.com/
online.stanford.edu/course/compilers-0
blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/
stackoverflow.com/questions/2430930/how-to-pause-suspend-a-thread-then-continue-it
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And I messed up the OP. Off to a fan-tastic start.

I thought I was ready to get into openGL but apparently not. I saw some example code and there were some things I didn't understand (C++ stuff). I understood around 90% of it though. Hopefully I'll be ready in 2 months or so of further C++. Currently reading "Starting Out With C++" by Tony Gaddis and am on chapter 14 of 20

Please tell me to stop being a lazy fag and finish the hair.

Reposting my quality code that didn't get the attention it didn't deserve during the last 5 mins of last thread

The OpenGL tutorials are traps. Anything with glBegin glEnd is garbage.

Give her trump hair

are you ever going to release an alpha or something?

How about I skip that step, and just tell you to finish the game?

If dubs everyone in this thread will follow through and finish their project

oh no

Has anyone here thought about how to secure a gig game dev'ing full time?

These quotes are so fucking true it's painful and I just learned why. I just got cucked over for the 3rd fucking time by programming shit for free (non-gaming related). It's always the same thing. I volunteer to help some huge project, make it look easy, my team members don't pull their weight but will pile retarded ideas on (that I mostly ignore), as soon as effort is required on their end the first thing they do is shove me under the bus.

I can only assume this is what making a game with Holla Forums in mind will turn out. I know there's a meme going around that creative shit should be done for free, since there are so many cases of hardcore jewing going around. However, that doesn't fucking work with games unless you take an ultra-minimalistic style, which is not always suitable and a lot of half-assed garbage is tainting the appeal of it. Otherwise it takes too many hours of labor in too many different fields of talent, not accounting for your day job and actual life.

At the end of the day money is a necessary evil. If you do shit for free people will take advantage of it, will walk all over you and when there is a bind in your life you wont be able to juggle life and dev'ing at the same time. I think we might all realize this but I doubt the rest of Holla Forums does, especially since "Pay someone to model" and "No one will be as interested in your game as you are" come up so often. The last person who managed to get a game-job out of here was Yandre-dev and I guarantee it is entirely because he appealed to weeaboos.

I get the feeling we all are striving towards actually having a team of people and making something big. Regardless of your political stance, the quote "Think big" from Trump rings true. We'll never get there though unless there's a plan or accepted model that will let the dedicated once create their vision.

Stop being a lazy fag and finish the hair

Releasing a public demo always takes extra time. I'd have to go back and fix every minor bug, even if they could be handled more efficiently later. What's missing would have to be rushed and then redone at some point. The way the levels are going to work, they all have to be done at once, iteratively. This is why it's difficult to cut out a piece of the game to release early. I tried isolating a part to work on but it just wouldn't happen, especially since the level pipeline was incomplete until a few weeks ago. And there's still no sound.
The game works and people have played it, but unleashing the internet upon it is a whole different story, and it's something you don't wanna half-ass.

That's disgusting.

This is why I make games alone. The only way I'd help someone else is by getting paid. However, selling a game is reprehensible.

you fucking what m8

I know not to trust other devs, mainly because of the crowd game dev attracts. The things I got fucked over in where mostly no game related. That being said, you are extremely limited in what you can do solo and you can't have a team if you don't sell your game.

I may currently just be a basic bitch faggot, but I'm learning Unity, slowly but surely.

God those deformations are fucking terrible

Ignore the Holla Forums cuck. They've been trying to infiltrate Holla Forums for the last few weeks but it honestly feels like they're not even trying. Look at this communist retard. First he just tells someone their code is disgusting without offering any advice on improving it. Then he has the gall afterwards to try to and tell someone that they shouldn't charge for their work, and that it's even wrong of them to do so.

Well, they're still a work in progress but I wouldn't say they're outright fuckin horrible.

get a life

doing what

I posted it because it looks awful and disgusting, but there really is no way to improve it.

My heap requires IComparable so it can sort objects of any compatible type. However, having only a priority is useless unless you have a key/value pair to actually sort useful values by a different metric, this is why I made a ComparableKVP class in the first place..

My priority queue is a regular collection and needs simply a T value for the collection, any object type. But internally it still needs to associate the T with a priority of type IComparable. By default this is an int and is never exposed publicly.

THIS SHIT IS BANANAS
B
A N A N A S

Tell me more.

Shifted gears on what I've been working on in my mc mod, it's a fucking nightmare trying to figure out how any functions work.
Spent hours figuring out how to add stats to a player on respawn, only to quit trying to figure it out and scour for code on github that might show me where I'm doing everything wrong.
Eclipse recommended a list of like 5 events that I thought made sense when trying to do anything on respawn, including "PlayerRespawnEvent" and "PlayerEvent.Clone" (called when cloning a player, ie: respawn). Well that shit didn't float, turned out to be an event never suggested: "LivingDeathEvent".
Jumping Jehosaphat, it's no wonder the current developers are so slow to update, they probably can't figure this shit out either.

When if comes to foley effects, usage for it in games is noticably more different than when it comes to movies or TV shows.

There is an old-ish interview with some Mass Effect 2 dev where they discussed their sound effects (and sound design), but I haven't admittedly read it intensely: designingsound.org/2011/01/exclusive-interview-with-the-sound-design-team-of-mass-effect-2/

the sound guy behind FTL also made his own blog post about the sort of hardware/software used to make everything on it: benprunty.com/2013/01/03/heres-what-i-used-to-make-the-ftl-soundtrack/

Isnt Clone a native method on all Java objects to produce a shallow copy of an object?

So many things to implement, so little time

neat
100 ways to make a byooow sound and other insights in to what not to do

Hell if I know, I would have to find the class to really know what it's doing since the description is so vague. Like trying to find the hay in a needle stack.

I might recommend using Visual Studio with a Java addon if such a thing exist… it has a few ways to look at class hierarchy and you can jump to object definitions and it makes filtering through all that shitty code much easier

send help

Get yourself a monster girl, it'll cheer you up.

The worst I've done was 3 tabs of Holla Forums's front page

use Input.GetAxis("Vertical") and ("Horizontal") instead of W/S and A/D. it returns a float value from -1 to 1
will save you some space

There is more /tech in this thread than all of /tech combined. Good job.

And on the other hand, tech probably has more discussion about finished games than this thread

They probably also play more games than Holla Forums

What a productive day.

Hey, you did something productive. That's more than most Holla Forumsirgins can say.

Stop being a lazy fag and UGH THICKER

Could be worse. But I really have to cut down on browsing and fapping so much.

I allow myself to use internet only on Sundays, it's the only way I can bring myself do something productive. Still, sometimes I can't resist browsing the internet and I end up doing nothing all day and it sucks

That honestly sounds like what I ought to be doing, but I can't work without music. I listen to most of it online.

joke's on you, i've built trust with someone and we're creating a game together

I don't have time to play games because I'm too busy programming my game.

I've currently been spending the past few weeks doing nothing but building an options menu, but damn it this options menu is going to be fucking sweet.

That pic applies more towards kids in college for game design rather than /agdg/.

this user speaks the truth.
Also, I can't play any game that doesn't inspire me, or else it feels like I'm wasting my time on something unproductive.

I think it's good to take breaks and play games, even simply for the sake of playing games.

You can't force yourself to be always devving, there has to be a period where you're just soaking things in and using it as food/fuel for your own growth.
Think of it like an appletree, which can't put out apples all the time. You gotta feed and water it, too.

The difficulty is in that it's extremely easy to just start playing vidya 24/7 and never make any progress ever again, saying "IT'S RESEARCH I SWEARS" or something of the sort.

I am the worst person to be giving this advice because I have a very hard time taking breaks. I even said to a friend that I was going to step back from dev for a couple days, and the very next day I was working on mapping.

Finish polishing your waifu's model to kingdom come so you can design more levels already.

I don't agree really. The best way to take on huge projects is to just get a shitton of momentum until you get to the point where you're literally just getting up to work on your project. Anytime you derail yourself, you not only lose momentum but also risk having to start from square 1 in terms of work ethic. And it's really hard to build momentum.

That's kinda unhealthy. I made gamedev something I do by default, instead.

I no longer force myself to do it, I just do it in the time I'd usually play videogames, and play videogames when I'm frustrated with something not working. It's been a vicious week, because I'm playing Witcher 3 right now, and working on the player model for my game, so…

1) Work on player model, get frustrated quickly

2) Play Witcher when frustrated, look at amazing character models, get inspired like crazy

3) repeat step 1 and onwards

I'm suffering now, but footfags will praise me when they see the amazingly detailed, and properly done feet on their player character.

True true.
I do binge vidya every once and awhile, but as this user mentioned you've got to keep that momentum going.
Thus, why I only play games that inspire me to dev, and to keep that momentum going even though I'm "taking a break" as one would say.

Same

tbh I love developing, and most of the time it's more fun than playing vidya; I haven't forced myself to dev since I first started a few years ago (that initial beginner's frustration was a bitch, but now those are fond memories).

hah, nice

polite sage for double post

I'm feeling so miserable right now. This is way harder than even the hands were.

Eclipse has all that shit too. Not that it helps, minecraft is as impervious no matter the tools. I've been down the path of minecraft modding before, so I know that anons pain. Not to mention it's probably impossible to get it to build with anything other than the eclipse setup you get from mcp. There's a few megabytes of python ductape to decompile, deobfuscate, patch and permit you to compile your own mod. Good luck porting that to any other IDE.

RIP

It was about version 1.6.4 I think that every modder had to start using gradle to build their mods too, entirely at the whim of lex, the guy who created forge.
I'm morbidly curious if this is how the code has always been, probably why it earned the name "spaghetti code". I doubt it's any easier for the mojang team despite them having the source.

mhm.

Also, since we're doing >tfw wasting time, here's my weekend:
Worst part is I'm going with newcode to preserve my sanity down the line, but I feel like shit for compromising performance for muh code quality.

Alright, how's this sound for stats?

>Mana, used for casting some spells, depending on the spell group being used. Recovers after 8 hours of rest.
>Faith, used for casting some spells (usually clerical). Does not recover, unless certain approved actions are taken (varies by deity)

>Ego (int+cha), Willpower (wis+cha), Affinity (int+wis): represent character's psyche. Important for psionic/mental combat, and consumed as a resource for some spells.

There is some redundancy for magic, but it depends on how the character ends up being built, which determines the spell system(s) they use. Resource management and required stats varies depending on whether you want to be a wizard, or a cleric, or whatever else. Having 30-50 HP is "a lot"; the other resource stats can comfortably reach 50-80. Ego etc. is much lower, and ranges between 10-20.

An example of mental combat would be that Ego beats Affinity (domination), Affinity beats Willpower (raw power), Willpower beats Ego (resistance). You cast a bunch of spells and say your Ego drops from 12 to 8 because of the spell's cost; now you only have +8 defense against a Willpower attack

This is as good as it's gonna get without custom constraints.

Do you plan on adding aesthetic character customization?

new game+ , at save points

This is why I'll remain your #1 fan.

Don't expect anything other than color sliders and mesh on/off toggles unless I can really gather the time or extra help to do more.

People that can't draw are very often hacks that can't do anything at all.

This nigga has a point. How many of you are willing to work with a team or even direct one? No, I'm not proposing an /agdg/ dev team, I'm just asking how many of you have ambition to contribute in something bigger than a small indie or more cost-effective than an 3D adventure that takes 20 years to make.

Also, expanding on that, how the fuck would you achieve this? Do you have a plan? Speaking for myself, I would probably join a team of seasoned devs as a common programmer just to get experience and see with my own eyes how the whole hierarchy and dynamic works, but for my despair, my country isn't exactly strong with videogames, I'm afraid I wouldn't get proper education on the matter.

Carmack can't draw and he's an extremely good programmer.

There actually is an 8/agdg/ team making a horror game.

I think the answer to the thing I raised is, how did basement devs from the 90s worked? Like the ones who where a small team of nerds that somehow managed to form a studio and release a game. Remember, these guys mostly programmed in assembly and there where less resources then. I was watching Ross' Game Dungeon do a video of this really old RTS on DOS called the 90s and he said something that really made me think:
>This checks off everything for an oldschool PC game:

I guess this type of thing comes from the devs making the game also being the playtesters. Inserting all sorts of inside jokes and shit in the game to make it goofy as fuck, but at the same time also making it hard as shit since they're the ones working on it.

I'm not sure if that type of thing could exist today though, at least, not easily. Shifting through people to form a team seems like it'd be hard as shit. Things like unity and game-design degrees opened the flood gates for any random person to enter the field. Also the community is so heavily poisoned by AAA and Indie jewing, that if you're a harder-niche audience getting trust is even harder.

It was called the baldies. Shitty typo.

The world was different. People nowadays want instant gratification and don't have patience to keep doing something for a long time. Money also got involved so now everyone approaches it from the perspective of making easy cash, even if you want money you don't treat it as a real job, you treat it as an opportunity to make an indie hit and become a millionaire.

Thats kinda what I got to at the end of my post

What a sad world we live in. Anyone who jumps on game dev for easy money is retarded though.

What scale of game are we talking about? Remember back then, even if you had to program in assembly, you didn't need an army of film school VFX dropouts to make the art. You can make do with a few textures and lots of imagination, whereas today you just play for 10 minutes and you just blew through $50 million dollars of art assets.

Also back then, games were hard because they were short. Steep difficulty was the way to artificially lengthen playtimes (or to get players to keep putting in quarters). You didn't need to cater to casuals or game journalists who can't git good and pad their ego by given them shitloads of achievements just by hitting enter to continue.

What would your ideal team structure be like, anyway? The typical no-budget indie usually is just the dev, plus outsourced freelancer artist(s) and outsourced musician. What more do you need? Sure you need much more to make a 50 hour visual novel but who the hell these days does anyone have the time to play a 50 hour visual novel? Plus, the ones most likely to play will just stick with Japanese games anyway.

Making games today has never been easier, what's hard is getting attention. That's why so many retards spammed Steam Greenlight (RIP) with memes.

Remember, with a bigger team, the more time you waste doing non-game related stuff, like HR and tax returns for everybody, accounting and shit, and overhead. Keep the team small. Just work wisely and use gameplay depth and difficulty to artificially lengthen playtime, not art.

g'day boys.

I don't really want to make a whole game because it seems like a massive fuck around with way too much math involved and alot like throwing time and money in the trash, but I like art so I made a general for your general.

transfer.sh/6dyLf/general.blend

I want to know if anything can be done with my texture painting style so if you guys try to export it and render it in-engine please post pics.

Yeah it works fine in Skullfuck 3.X but obviously there is no shading at all because none of those niggers bothered adding one.
At least your Torso and the Head were 2 seperate objects with 1 textures each so I had not much trouble getting it into in-game.

From my experience, stylized texturing like yours only works with toon/stylized shading, or with PS1/PS2 type shading if you downgrade the texture to a lower resolution.

REMEMBER
LITTLE PROGRESS IS BETTER THAN NO PROGRESS

that's sick. it holds up in fullbright pretty well.

it's roughly as stylised as q3 but they had proper artists for quake 3. I want to learn sculpt and bake but it's a little weird.

(checked)
Yeah it looks pretty alright, despite the unfinished texturing, oh well.

Hmm yeah you are right, I just need to texturize the Deep Boring Device and putting into ingame then that part is done for now. Yesterday I finished my Multi Purpose Device.

Slow and steady heh.

You could do with mixing up the level of wearing on those edges to make it look a bit more natural. I could whip up an edit if you need an example.

Hmm are you working with Substance Painter 2? Since I am using 3D Coat only for texturing my models.

3D doesn't let me easily change the setting of a materials without making it as a entirely new one. Anyway here is the model: www80.zippyshare.com/v/m75yPtnL/file.html

Even then you can only reuse so many assets. A lot of those game still appeared long as shit, because they had a good mix of changing assets and padding.

I don't think these people marketed enough to appeal to those people either though. Essentially we're in the same situation on this where we can appeal to anyone. Remember we're talking about the basement devs of 5-8 people who cranked out a random game.

That is extremely vague. No-Budget plus outsourced freelancer can range from 3 models or 30 models (god knows how much money). Neither are enough to make a game without having the entire game take place in the same set of hallways.

Famous last words. Models and animations eats a shitload of time and resources, even for basic ones. Textures also are a real killer, and you need a LOT so your game doesn't look the same the entire way through. Even the gamey aspects like level design and play testing take a shitload of time, considering you need to detail them. Otherwise you run the risk of having a game that reaks of freeware made by one guy. Notch at least go to borrow infiniminers style, which basically removed the burden of art assets from him. The music was made by one of his friends.

Big teams aren't really what we're talking about. Just getting to a point where you and a group of people are making a full time game and not having an extremely limited scope of what you can do, as opposed to being a solo-dev. Essentially where Frictional Games (Amnesia) go to. There story was really a set of convenient circumstances.
Then they fucked it up with making Soma. That seems to be the way these things go now.

Yes, I've spent a lot of time thinking about this.
That's shitty teams for you. I wanted to say that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, but that metaphor doesn't really apply to situations like these. It's not like there is »a« weak link that breaks under pressure, but more like you being part of the wrong team to begin with. Sadly people don't have "INCOMPETENT" written on their foreheads. It would make life a hell of a lot easier, if you could tell that before you commit to work on a huge project.
Whether money is a "necessary evil" or not in this context should entirely depend on whether you intent to make this your job or a hobby. If you want to make games as a hobby, then it would be fair to consider it a necessary evil. However, if you want to make this your job, the situation is a little bit different. The main reason you want a job is to be able to sustain yourself, your family and, assuming that you're running a company like a game studio, your workforce and their families. As such money should be your primary concern. If your company can't sustain itself, it's going to die; it's that simple, period.
That doesn't mean becoming an exploitative asshole who tries to make the most amount of money for the least amount of work though. That depends on your end goal and your willingness to compromise (or the lack thereof). My end goal is a stable company and I am willing to compromise. By stable company I mean a company in the classical capitalistic sense (if you want to call it that). You have some amount of misc. expenses (a), project costs (b) and generate some amount of revenue (c). If (a+b) < c, you're making profits. If the net profit of your last project is higher than the combined expenses of the following one, you have a stable company. I am not interested in "infinite growth", I am not interested in making the most™ money, I am not interested in pleasing some suits who have bastardized capitalism to the point where the sentence "letting your money work" is being used unironically and I am not interested in getting rich. All I want is to get to the point where I can live a comfortable life doing the thing I love. That's what I'm working toward. So logically I'm fine with making compromises. I'm fine with making less money than I could, as long as I make enough to get by without problems.
Yes, but the difficult part is finding the right people and there are so many pitfalls when it comes to that. People can turn out to be incompetent, lack work ethic, be incapable of working in teams effectively and so much more. Then, even if you do find someone who's perfect to work with, it's possible that real life problems (e.g. health or financial issues) hit him and you'll end up on your own again (happened to me). But none of that should discourage you. When I decided I wanted to just like make game, I put a lot of thought into it before telling my father about my plans. I told him everything, from the draconian working conditions in big studios, the steep entry barrier, the brutal competition once you're in, the fact that I, as a CS student, could make a lot more money with my education elsewhere and the fact that I could spend a lot of my time on something that doesn't go anywhere after not getting recognized in between all the shit that has flooded the market. In the end it came down to one thing: there's just one way to find out. You have to try.
So that's where I'm at, user. I don't know if I'll ever make my dream come true and make indie gaming great again, but I'm gonna give it my best shot. That's for sure.

I'm in CS myself and it's absolutely saturated to the brim with people who have obvious tells of being incompetent, so the thing that scares me is half the projects I got fucked over on where with engineering students who actually have skills and pretty much had no dead give-aways.

The other thing is I get the feeling you can't really try to make any sustainable business model with Holla Forums-type players in mind. Considering 90% of the board pirates everything and might think about pirating it if it was near-flawless, but at the same time if you branching out will cause autistic screeching so it looks like you're pretty much forced to move to a larger audience that will attract reddit and youtube like what Notch did. I mean redsky dev made a free game and his thread got fucking shoah'd.

I'm basically dead-set on gamedev. I wasted so much time modding some of the most fun I had with games ever was modding a server and actually taught myself C in an attempt to make a game engine years ago. The thing is I'm hitting the ceiling of what one person can do. I can code and do music, but models textures and animations are what is going to kill me. Plus life will randomly put the screws on me, so I basically have to drop everything. I've played enough games made by one dev to know where this will end.

think about buying

Ah I meant just a quick shitty edit of your screenshot.

I do. When it comes to leadership skills, I think I'm up for it. I say "think", because I'll have to find out first and it also depends on the team in question. The reason I'm so confident about this is that I have more or less deep knowledge about many aspects of game development. I'm primarily a programmer, so I know about the technical aspects of a game. After the artist I wanted to work with left me due to factors beyond our control, I decided to learn 3d modelling. I'm now at the point where I'm comfortable with Blender and Substance (unless it comes to character modeling; that's something I'll learn in future). I learned how to take care of ingame audio with Audacity and fmod studio and I began to practice writing. So at the very least I won't be the sort of idiot-boss who would offhandedly ask you to "just write a story", like it's no big deal. I know how difficult and time consuming writing is, since I've been there. It also means that the person you're most likely to ask for advice or opinions happens to be the person managing everyone else, which would be convenient since it would help me keep an overview over the progress of everyone.
However, I won't let a project die because of my ego. Fuck my ego. If it turns out that I'm not up for leading a team, I'll just step down and let someone else do it. If there is no one else, the primary concern becomes getting someone on board. If we don't find anyone, I'd volunteer to learn how to become an effective team leader. I'd be willing to put a lot of time and effort into studying the available literature on the topic. Someone has to do it after all and I am flexible, if nothing else.
I have a plan. Without going into too much detail (I still got shit to do today) it involves me getting as much experience and knowledge while I'm still studying CS. I still have about a year more to go. While I'm studying I'm not dependent on the work I do on my game, or in other words: mistakes won't break my neck. You could say that I'm trying to make all the beginner's mistakes now, where there is plenty of room for mistakes. On top of that I know people who went into self-employment, so I have someone to ask. But the best thing is probably the fact that the guy I plan on recruiting (not sure if this will go anywhere) knows the developers of Ben and Ed personally. So I have access to an indie studio that actually made it and ask them for advice.

oh hmm, I have no idea how to get the brown color show correctly in the green parts since for the Rust layer I am using a Soft Light, for my own scratches it's Modulate X2 and the same for the Material layer.

Well, what is the green?
What material?

That will inform how it wears.

Is it painted metal? Then the paint will scratch, chip, crack and flake and rust will show through.

Well the Gun is 90% metal and the green tips are some sort of magnetic nano accelerator as it is used right now for reclaiming ore and repairing the player with spare parts.
Yes

So should I just use a 'normal' one for the rust?

tons of productivity
whats your excuse?

That's right, but too simplistic right now and doesn't quite convey rust to the viewer.
Also, your highlights for the paint are imo a tad too dramatic and paint wouldn't highlight that way anyway. Whereas raw metal scratches on exposed corners and wearing surfaces to reveal unoxidized metal underneath, paint scratches away to reveal undercoat, rust, oxidized and then unoxidized parent metal depending on the location of the wearing surface and the severity of wear.

Also, in general your highlights are extreme and it kind of looks like a painted Warhammer model. There are nooks and corners that are presently highlighted as intensely as the main exposed edges of the device. You may want to ask yourself if this stylistic look is desirable for your application.

RE: painted metal, contemplate the pictures here:
google.com.au/search?q=rusting painted metal&tbm=isch

Good thing that I'm not making my game for Holla Forums then. I'm not making it for reddit either for that matter. You know the saying "be the change you want to see in the world"? That's basically my approach to making a game. I'm making the game I want to see being made. So you could say that I'm making the game for myself and everyone who has tastes similar to mine. I won't go out of my way to appease Holla Forums just like I won't go out of my way to appease reddit or .
I don't give a fuck. As I already said, I don't make my game specifically for Holla Forums. To be honest, I really don't care who will like my game. If I were to receive a love-letter from whatever gaming subreddit, I won't be angry or upset. Why would I be? I'll be happy that I made some people happy with my game. I'm not the sort of misanthropic autist that seem to make up a sizable chunk of Holla Forums nowadays (thanks /monster/).
Of course this will result in some autistic screeching here, but that will happen regardless (you already gave a perfect example with sigmadev). The only things I can guarantee are that I won't …
That's it.
I've seen the thread and it was literally one or two faggots doing that. It certainly didn't help that his game wasn't very good. I gave him an itemized list of what was wrong with it after playing it for an hour or so. I hope he does better next time.
I know that feel, user. I'm also dead-set on gamedev. I like to tell myself that I'll have a CS degree to fall back on, but with how long it took me to get it, my chances of finding a job that pays well are slim. With each passing day the pressure grows. You're also right when it comes to the limitations of one-man armies. I could create a big game all by myself, but that would require much more time than I have. That's why I'm looking for someone to team up with. Ideally a programmer. While I'm a programmer myself, I'm also able of creating the visuals for the game. The problem is that doing both is too much for me to handle with the time that I have at my disposal.

Hey I've been there. There were a couple of ducks warming themselves up in the corner. Must be pretty comfy to be a duck, and not have to obey the rules.

Man I fucking wish that GZdoom finally supports something like that and not only the pure lame diffuse only texture but it will never happen kurwa macz.

Right now my texturing pattern is this
Previously I textured my models by using a Atlas from ripped OTA content.

Hmm well do you have any tips how a typical layer layout should look like when painting a mostly metalish looking model? That seems like a lot of work when trying to do all of that with manual painting only.

Usually I do this:
Material(Color Dodge/Modulate, 80-70%)
Lines (Normal, 100%)
Camo_X(Normal,100%) (for tanks and so on)
Base (Normal,100%)
So my layers are not really complex.

I guess "Holla Forums-type in mind" was a bad expression. I just meant players who don't want their hands held and wont quit a game because it doesn't give them wallhacks and regenerating hp. I was trying to be talk about finding a market to sustain yourself, and accidentally phrased it as creating a game around an existing player base. You don't have to make the game for anyone, but you do need to find out who will actually buy it.It's not something you can ignore really especially since there is a cost to just living.

I can't answer technical issues as I'm not you or using your tools to do this.

The crux of the issue is this:

Are you trying to represent wear accurately, or do highlights to make your model pop from far away (like Warcraft 3)?

If you're doing highlights, you just need to make the rust be located in believable appropriate locations.

If you're trying to be accurate, you need to consider what parts of your model will actually wear (this is where paint will be worn away revealing metal, and where oxidized metal will wear revealing bright shiny metal). Relevant questions here will be:
How is your device/gun used? How and where will it wear while used? Where is it stored? Will that effect it? And so on..

Hmm in this case it is a HUD gun so only the player can see it and nobody else.

Wouldn't that require some sort of deep knowledge of materials? Since I don't have that really neither I have learned texturing in a serious manner like idk doing how the professionals do all the time I guess.

Uh welp I do really appreciate your attempt to explaining all this stuff and helping me at it somehow.

hmm Substance Painter 2 has really a better way to paint stuff with all those materials but still my biggest gripe with that is that it won't let me hide mesh pieces which is really the only feature I need.

It doesn't take deep knowledge of the material or an education in chemistry or physics. You just need to think it through, consider its use-story and then go from there.

Take a garden axe, for example. Metal head, wooden shaft.
The wood is usually untreated, and most people will not oil the wood after purchase due to sloth. The wooden shaft will dry over time, so the grain will become more pronounced as the tool ages, and the wood will darken. As it's used, dirt will probably become ingrained into the handle and perhaps due to this and oil, the area usually gripped by the user may discolor slightly compared to the rest. You won't see fingermarks because the way the axe is held isn't the same every time; you shift your grip when your hand hurts.
The metal head will have started off shiny and uniform in shape, probably with an oil layer to prevent corrosion. It may have been painted. As it's been used and abused the blade will wear the most, as it's the working surface and does the majority of force application when the axe is used as a wedge. Metal closer to the shaft of the handle will wear as well, but at a slower rate. Harder woods will eventually abrade the metal and scratch paint off. Also, the axe will develop small dents and scuffs at the top of the head where it is rested when not in use.
These tools typically are used infrequently, so after a period of use, it may sit in a shed for a while. This may be a dank shed, in which case all surfaces where abrasion has taken place will slowly oxidize and rust, and, left long enough, all the metal will discolor.

And so on. Do the same exercise for your device. You don't have to be anal, but this sort of thinking will inform you on how you should go about texturing it to be believable and not dissonant to the player.

So in other words when I texture my models I should consider its age, usage, moving parts, used materials, maintaince and so on and then apply where it is sensitive to do such as rust, scratches, dents and uh a few other stuff. And then looking more often at images to see how a material/object is textured?

That's exactly right. Treat it like a story. You'll find reference images are less important as the 'story' will dictate what is appropriate where and also help with the order of layering.

Welp I reworked a bit on the MPD again trying more or less on how you suggested how it should look like, apart from the rust stuff. As well on the Deep Ore Boring Device.

You just gave a full forensic analysis of a shovel's lifetime. The fuck do you do for a living?

What library do u anons use for serialization?
I've been using unity's jsonUtility, and it has too many limitations.

I'm doing a refactor of a lot of shit, and redoing my serialization shit is on the list.
I was thinking either protobuffers, or jil (github.com/kevin-montrose/Jil).
Mainly I'm going for speed, and at least support for serializing to a readable format when needed.

Your best bet is to get rich selling handy kits in the Unity store.
I personally need the following to get my game idea brought to life:
1. Pause screen, menu screen kit
2. File importing kit
3. 2.5D level editor that players can use
In addition, a custom music analyzer interface I'd be willing to pay for.

Stick to one guy that will do everything you can't or knows how to delegate. More people, more problems.

Well he wrote actually 'bout a garden axe but still you gave me a hearty lel.

Get Krita, it has tesselation features.

man I wish i could draw dat good

read more about his official interview here

krita.org/en/item/interview-with-danny/

man, what a super star.
Time to start drawing furry porn i guess

Oh, I see. I'm not too concerned about that, because I'm not working on a game that is niche by niche game standards. You're right though, you won't have much luck when creating games for which there is barely any market. If you do plan on making niche-niche games, it's better a niche that is filled with people who hate money (e.g. furfags).

Fetishists liking your game = free advertisement

oh right I was gonna brag about retexturing stuff to add context to the screenshots but yeah there we go. True first person + non-disgusting feet

Not into feet but I must say, those are well done.

Don't worry, I'll post both the tits and the ass on the female character when I get to work on her.

I must say though, this is the standard I can never even come close to. A true work of art.

Nice

which version of RPG maker would you guys recommend for making a generic turn-based RPG?
It's not going to be anything game-changing, I just want to start off with something simple to practice some spritework/basic game design shit with. I'm going to try and customize the look of the menus and stuff, ideally all the assets will be custom (except music, I'm probably just gonna find royalty-free stuff or just steal).
The metrics I'm asking on are things like available mods that don't require too much coding (I don't know Ruby but I can change variables if necessary), general ease of use, and quality.

Also now I've heard it so many times that I can't help but think of every little flaw in it but I don't even know how to fix it anymore.

you can always use this tasteful loop
clyp.it/5xoo1s0q
i need to make a music video just for this

What do you guys use to record webms with sound? I want to show some progress.

I use Dxtory for recording, and Webm for Retards to convert it afterwards.

obs for recording, and xmedia recode for encoding to a webm

Basically this.
Mess around with your OBS settings to find something that works. Make sure your bitrate isn't so high you can't run the game at the same time, but leave enough room that you can get maximum quality out of XMedia Recode.

Same as , but with fraps

Do you consider selling a roguelike an act of bad taste? I see that most of them are free and open-source, but ADOM is available at steam, don't know if it is normal or pure jewry.

Just checked out the roguelike definitions none of them seems to talk about commercial use.

depends, is it a one-off you'll likely move on from? or a project you want to continually work on out passion?
the former would point towards selling it, and the latter towards just giving it out because early access is literal cancer.

You shouldn't really buy into the memes spouted. If your game is decent think of a reasonable price. You just need to take a hard look at your game and see if it's fun/polished enough to warrant charging for it.

Isn't this what binding of issac is minus the tile/turn base?

I mean fuck. FTL also falls under that.

Well no shit, every video game is X minus Y user. FTL is not really a procedurally generated dungeon crawler (You don't really move in a tile based context) and Isaac is not tile or turn based, so neither are roguelikes.

It's procedurally generated, your units are on tiles and instead your turns are done through your weapons warming up. I mean you're splitting hairs so hard that it's like saying MGS isn't a stealth game but Thief is because Thief is first person.

It's not a dungeon crawler in any stretch of imagination, you clearly don't move in a procedurally generated tiled based world like rogue. I mean it doesn't need to be strictly a dungeon, but it's clear this doesn't happen in FTL. I do agree it's pretty close though, but I wouldn't call FTL a roguelike.
Whaaaaaat, how did you come up with that analogy?

The point is if he polishes his game and doesn't follow the overly specific rules for the "genre" to a T he's fine. Even then.

Because it's so ridiculously strictly defined it's kinda silly. Imagine applying it to any other genre. Like firstperson shooters. If you have a ranged attack and are in firstperson it's an FPS.

But I'm not condemning FTL for not being a roguelike, it's just what it is. I'm glad they tried something different, not everything needs to be a roguelike by definition. It's not like roguelike is such a broad term either, it pretty much means "Like rogue". The term metroidvania was also created for the same purposes.
The FPS genre is also pretty specific in comparison to say RPG, which is pretty much the most superfluous catch-all genre definition in vidya history. Take the most common denominator between all considered RPGs and the only thing you probably get will be "It has combat at some point".
Genres are not really that important honestly, it's a way to help people find what they want. The term roguelike was created so people knew it played pretty much like rogue, that's all.

Happy Valentine's day, anons!

Hope you have a good time today. Treat yourself to something enjoyable while you dev.

Gonna laze around and play games with my girl, maybe order a pizza - take that well-deserved break from gamedev.

But why, user? There's nothing wrong with making things look appealing.

-O3

I'm not a huge fan of the term but most people call games like FTL and binding of isaac roguelight
Implying it has some elements of rogue in particular permadeath and random generation but not other ones like turn based combat or dungeons.

rtsanon here
i've nearly got the pathfinding working as i'd like it to
there's some pseudo avoidance going on, although it's pretty shitty and slow
multithreading also works
my issue is that if i spawn too many units, once they get close to their target, they start recalculating their paths since some of them are standing on the same nodes. and with too many units i suddenly get a huge framerate drop
in the profiler, the issue seems to be the pathfinding function, with a couple of the units suddenly doing a check that takes 30 ms
any clue why?
this is the more substantial part of the pathfinding, the rest is just map storage and neighbor getting which is generic and isn't related to the performance
pastebin.com/Ptw3aNMm

Very Total Annihilation.

"I MUST CROWD AROUND THIS EXACT POINT AND MOSH TOGETHER AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE"

Not a bad thing, just entertaining and less common these days.

i mean there's gonna be formations, but i still want to avoid potential framekilling moments

anyone?

I feel you. It's just funny.

how about you don't use rpgmaker you fucking casual

can you interrupt your program when it laggs to get the line number
Like i don't know what engine or whatever you are using but if you can open a console you should be able to control+C to interrupt and see what line the program is on

it's unity, and specifically the function that does the A* pathfinding, takes up a lot more ms than it should
however the profiler only shows me things up to the function being called, doesn't show what happens inside it, so i'm only guessing

do you have any suggestions?

I did. Lower execution time, but the difference persisted.

OFF had such a great soundtrack, goddamn

I have no idea how to design combat and the entire system I have in place is a clusterfuck. Right now I'm trying to fix it by things not being able to amputate limbs with their bare hands, but even by using a sword, 1/10 of attacks are amputating attacks, and that's at the lowest possible skill level. A max skill NPC would be terminator tier.

Also I don't know how I'll handle NPCs fleeing the battlefield, because I still want the player to be able to capture enemies, but right now they all just flee at different times and the battle only ends when the entire team is dead or everyone's fled.

well you could split up the function into more smaller function so you get more information from the profiler

Ree

VX Ace and MV have worked fine for my purposes, but my purposes have never really been in-depth.
I'm not much of an RPG guy so I've never dealt a lot with the default combat, I've always preferred the games that do either top-down Zelda hack-and-slash or Japanese indie horror.

evidently i can't, since the pathfinding is on a different thread and can't go beyond the thread call
and if i do it without multithreading, shit freezes and i have to restart da compuutah

no wait, i figured it out, this happens when my path is unreachable, so every unit that hasn't reached it suddenly ends up checking the entire map (100x100) which is probably what slows things down so much

alright, after trying out different ideas, i'm guessing that the best way to do this would be to pause the thread for a frame every few hundred nodes
now how do i pause/unpause a thread? i can see .Suspend and .Resume, but unity says those are obsolete

shouldn't you just set the thread to nonblocking and let the game continue while paths are being found

how do i set it to nonblocking?

i don't fucking now man you're the one using an engine that i've never used and now very little about.
But i know that the obvious solution is some kind of asynchronous syncing between the main thread and the pathfinding
What you want is for the the pathfinding thread to not stop the main thread from running so you can maintain high fps
From what I understand this is the primary reason you would even use a seperate thread for pathfinding.
There are some issues with this though. Since updating the position of units means you need to redo the pathfinding calculations the pathfinding will lagg behind the real game.
So you might wanna insert some sort of cut off in terms of ms since calculating the a path for a map that is different is not always usefull

I want a break from programming, gonna make some town assets, need inspiration, post some really comfy town shit

i think i will do a neat detailed building like the second pic

there's a few ways.
One method uses unity specific coroutines, and that's basically setting a callback so you can check if the thread is finished executing (like, returning a bool from the thread, upon finishing, or using a concurrent collection, with a bool set per thread, which is checked per X amount of time using a coroutine).

There's also the possibility of using something like update/lateupdate/etc to check if a flag has been set in another script, and if it's not set, let the main thread keep doing its work.

The essential idea is to prevent the main thread from waiting for the results, and to let the threads you've assigned to do their work do so in the background; not the foreground.
There's many ways to do this, but if you keep that essential idea mentioned above in mind; you'll find a solution that works for you.

does it matter if the thread is in the same script from where it's being called?
i think i've already tried everything and it either doesn't work, or i did something wrong, because i always get the same result - low fps when units have to go to an unreachable location

Found a few images you might like.

u should probably just fix that, and do this later; as bugs should be fixed before you optimize.

As long as the main thread isn't waiting for the thread to finish, then no.
I assume you're calling the function w/the threaded job in update/lateupdate, or something or another; that's what's making the main thread wait (as that's called by the mainthread).

Here's some simple code to demonstrate:
void Update (){ //main thread is waiting for the thread to finish myThreadedJob ();}

void Update (){ //checking if the thread is finished, with mainthread //with a getter property that queries if the threadedJob is finished if (isThreadedJobFinished) { //do stuff //utilize data from threadedJob, like moving a unit, etc. } //else, let main thread continue}

wait, so where else do i start the thread from, if it's not from an update function

Well, you definitely will be starting it from one of the update functions, or any function called via update which is called once n' done; which has logic to be checked later.
f.e. for using the threadpool, dispatch a thread, but do not wait for the waithandle to return true, i.e. finished, and do so later in an update function which periodically checks if the waithandle is true, i.e. it's finished; which is basically: "dispatch a threadpool thread (with the main thread), and check it later (with the main thread)".
The point here, is that you're starting the execution of the threaded task, and not waiting for it to finish with the main thread; how you do this, and what's most efficient is up to you.
This could be done with a coroutine (dispatching a task, which checks with the main thread later, if it's finished).

Here's an example I found for the implementation of threading u use:
answers.unity3d.com/questions/357033/unity3d-and-c-coroutines-vs-threading.html

what i'm asking is how to get the main thread to not wait for the task
right now, i've got an update function, which under certain cirscumstances calls the function that starts the thread
said function is something like
void DoShit(arguments){... if (PathFinder != null){ PathFinder.Abort(); PathFinder = new Thread(() => MultiThreadAStar(goal, method)); PathFinder.Priority = System.Threading.ThreadPriority.Lowest; PathFinder.IsBackground = true; PathFinder.Start();}}
in the example you posted, shit gets called from the start function, update only checks whether it's finished

eh i fucked up the brackets there, but you get the idea

to avoid further confusion, here's a better example of how my code is
//gets called every framevoid LateUpdate(){if(conditions){SetDestination(destination);}}void SetDestination(destination){ PathFinder = new Thread(() => MultiThreadAStar(goal, method)); PathFinder.Priority = System.Threading.ThreadPriority.Lowest; PathFinder.IsBackground = true; PathFinder.Start();}

Assuming I could code by myself, how do I get all the other shit?

The graphics (actually decent sprites or straight up line art) the SFX (finding decent free shit)?
You'd have to pay someone realistically, or learn to do it yourself.

Assuming you take 2 years to learn it (adding a year for sake of having to deal with shit in your life), and 2 years to implement it, that means you'd spend 4 years coding, 4 years making music and SFX, and 4 years doing the graphics.
That's 12 years, plus you're hoping it'll sell at the end.

You need to get someone else to do the other parts, right?
Or am I over-estimating how long it takes to learn?

I'm not your CS teacher user.
You've got to figure it out yourself.
I've given you plenty of terms to google, and look up yourself.

gee thanks buddy, you told me to google shit i already googled and didn't actually answer the one question i had

smh

i've already googled and tried different shit that didn't work, including that shit you posted
you have offered no actual handholding
not an argument

You should see if you can find a basic example of asynchronous parallel execution for unity

best i can think of is
yield return Application.LoadLevelAsync("MyBigLevel");
which doesn't actually explain anything, since it's unity's api
everything else i've found either doesn't solve my issue, or does it in a way that i can't use/understand

I was stating that the behavior you've exhibited is pathetic; i.e. you're acting like a spoiled child who can't get a toy they want.
Tbh I've got better shit to do than "argue" with you, or even attempt to assist the mentally deficient; as I already provided a few ways to do what you're asking.
However, I am not willing to write your code.

I mean having a thread run parallel is like the most basic functionality of having threads.
You claimed before you had some kind of parallel solution to pathfinding which would mean 2 threads are running at the same time without waiting for eachother
you just need to do the same thing but with the main thread and the other threads

nigga if you can't write my code why you even talking
if i could write the code myself i wouldn't be asking for help

citation needed
i said i knew what the problem is (pathfinding checking the whole map), not that i have any idea how to fix it
the way i understand it, the new thread i was making in Update() should already be running in the background and not fucking up the framerate, but the profiler says otherwise, so i'm clearly wrong there

How many games have you seen made by one person that have:
And the most important one:

Unless you find a god-tier way to stylize your game that fits perfectly with your limitations, like infiniminer, you can't get away with skimping on some of these. Even if they can get decent art direction and did it all in Unity, usually the game ends up shallow as fuck and feels like an alpha game.

I never said I "can't" as you've asserted, just that I'm unwilling, and nobody here should write your code for you.
That would be endorsing pajeet tier coding practices.

Use you brain, and learn about what you're trying to utilize.
Test shit, get it to work, understand it, and then apply it to a larger problem such as pathfinding; ffs user.

step 1 - test shit
check
step 2 - get it to work
not check
step 3 - can't get to it because step 2 doesn't fucking work
are you not understanding the words coming out of my mouth

learn about what you're trying to utilize.

likewise user… likewise

that would require me to actually have more different results

to actually have different results*

So I'm digging through material about handling user authentication, encrypting user account details and so on, for use in an online game. The issue I'm running into is that I'm a bit unsure about how to handle things client side. Some places are saying it's fine to just send the details as plaintext to the server (which it will then hash and compare against the stored hashed password) as a MITM could just intercept a hashed password from client side and sign in using that. To avoid that it seems I'd need to use HTTPS/SSL to secure a connection first.

Am I just way overthinking this for now?

So you're saying downscale the project if you're just one guy?

But how do you attract people to work with you on bigger projects, if all they've seen you do is a shitty skinnerbox game?
The only people who'd trust you on that alone would be starry eyed and naive.
And they don't tend to do good work.

How do I get decent people to work with, after I've made a small-scale project?

Well that's exactly how my game is…

I was read a blogpost bio on the frictional games dev lead. Essentially, he went to grade school that was entirely dedicated to making a game. He made a tech demo for pnumbra that exploded in popularity on the internet,and it turned into a full fledged game. That studio also outsources a lot, for stuff like music. The guys later had Amnesia explode, so I can only guess they know how to appeal to people (to be fair that amnesia trailer being gameplay that looked like it was a pre-rendered cutscene was pretty ground breaking when it came out)

What I'm doing is just hoping I excel enough at coding to get a pretty complex game running that'll attract people. I'm assuming useful people can appreciate a decent game even if it has no animations or anything.

Meant graduate school. Like hwat you get your masters degree at

i don't think you should be creating threads in update
You should create threads when you start the game but it kinda depends on the specific implementations unity uses
I think you need to brush up on your parallel programming

Wait, so even if you show off just a tech-demo, people get interested?

How would that even work for an RPG? (I'm sure as hell keeping away from RPGMaker from reputation alone).

Ok heres what you do
Create a new blank project
See if you can get 2 threads running simultaniously
Just infinite loops that both print something different should do the trick
Then see if you can get the threads to exchange data.
Then you have the baseline you need to get everything working.

You are correct in believing that you need to use SSL for your connection if you want it to be secure. The main reason that you'd want to hash the password serverside is the same reason you hash the password in the first place.

Let's say you hash clienside. That means that your server must assume that it received a properly hashed password. Therefore, you would have to store whatever hash you get from, the client in your DB. If someone steals the DB, they will see all your hashed passwords. Then, they can pretend to be a client and just submit the hashes that they stole. Your server will check that they match the DB and let the attacker in. You'll note that this is entirely the kind of attack that hashing is supposed to solve.

When you hash serverside, it's the server itself that verifies that the client knows the password that matches the hash in the DB.

Don't forget to salt your hashes too. This prevents rainbowtable and precomputed hash attacks.

but my shit already exchanges data between the main thread and the other thread
the issue is that the other threads are somehow slowing down the framerate

How many pathing threads do you spawn? Context switching between lots of threads can be expensive.

Yeah that matches up with what I've gathered so far. Bcrypt looks like a good option for me handling things on the server side. Annoyingly it looks like if I want to use something like OpenSSL I'll need to bundle a binary for Windows.

so far the problematic ones have been from 1-7
i'll obviously make a que later on, but so far even with 1 thread i get situations where it suddenly takes up 60ms

the issue is they are not running parallel which is why it's impacting the framerate

but why

You don't have to handle SSL yourself. You can write your server as an HTTP web service or API endpoint. Web servers are easy to configure for SSL. Assuming you're using C#, you can then make normal web requests to your endpoint which can automatically handle SSL for you on the client side.

I don't fucking now man look at the unity docs and see what the relevant function do and how you use them
Google for a basic example of how parallel programming works in unity this shouldn't be this hard
again your code is failing at the most basic level of parallel programming it's not executing parallel at all it's just sequential
You probably need to spawn two threads right at the start of the game 1 for the main game and another one for the pathfinding, that is if you can even get any code to execute in parallel at all.

:^)
i haven't tried that last bit though, worth a shot

Oh, hmm. But doesn't the client need to validate the SSL certificate sent from the server?

If you use default HTTP(S) connection code in C# that should handle it for you. Your only job then is to make sure that the server is running with a certificate signed by a CA that the client trusts. You can use letsencrypt.org/ to get free certificates for your server that clients will trust without you having to do anything.

What are the best books on modern c++?

hum, the 3 in the middle look nice

Ah, I think you're thinking in the mindset of managing all of your threads.
Unity holds your hand a lot here with threading; which is pretty nice, but comes with a few unity specific qualms (which would arise in your own implementation anyways).
So it's even easier than you're thinking… and is pretty plainly laid out.

yup… my thoughts too user.

Fugg, well I'm planning on doing the client on top of löve and I don't think LuaSocket supports HTTPS. LuaSec seems to be recommended but that has an OpenSSL dependency.

is it now

you can shit on my lack of understanding all night, it's not gonna change shit
someone just tell me why my shit isn't running parallel and how to fix it and i'll be able to move on with my life

They probably meant the relating coding documentation…which would be msdn C# docs.
Here's a better guide for threading than the official C# docs though:
albahari.com/threading/

Take a look at threadpools, it's what I use, and it's extremely easy to implement threads that work in parallel; in addition to being easier to work with than individual threads that u have to manage yourself.
Look at waithandles (EventWaitHandle) for executing shit in parallel.
For storing/accessing collections/exchanging data, I use concurrent collections (multiple threads working on a huge task, adding/modifying data of the same collection), or just implement locks on non-thread safe collections (way slower though); or u can use asynchronous delegates for exchanging data between worker threads and the main thread (too much overhead for me).
For thread safe collections, looks at the backport of the task/concurrent collection library for .net 2.0.

When it comes to the threadpool, and getting threads to work in parallel with the mainthread; u need to use the waithandles properly (READ ABOUT THEM).
In essence:
you create, and assign a waithandle to each thread you're starting.
You have this waithandle assigned to a non-local variable (thus, u can access it next frame, if the reference remains valid, and isn't GC'd).
Next frame, you can check if the waithandle has returned true, and thus the thread has finished executing.
Walla, u have just executed threads in parallel to the main thread.

HOWEVER, I did leave some details out (too much to type, there is a resource to learn what I left out linked above), and I recommend learning how the threadpool works if u decide to go with that.

IF you want to still use the MANUAL threading method, then look at the link provided here:
Which executes threads in parallel to the main thread using coroutines.
I.e. start the thread within void Start() -> CALLED ONCE, and u give the thread jobs to perform, and every void Update () -> check if thread job is finished, if !finished, let main thread continue.

The problem is that programming is seen as a "necessary evil" by people who don't know shit. They think that a good design, art, or at worst an idea, is more important for a project than coding. Those people are the cancer and should be avoided.
If you know your shit, and do it well, sell your stuff for Game Maker or Unity. And most importantly get a real job and leave game deving as a hobby.

also, a link to the backport of the task parallel/concurrent collection library (I was wrong, it's .net 3.5, but works fine with unity/vs for me).
github.com/couchbasedeps/dotnet-tpl35

Ask a guy like me to help you.
As naive as it sounds, if you can find a guy that will give you a few graphics for free, it could blossom into a profitable partnership.

Obviously start with projects that require less graphics because making a fully rigged anime chick would take more work than most would be willing to do for free.

But if you need some things like a Goomba or a Hammer Bro in complexity, I for one could provide it in exchange for a portion of whatever patreon or kickstarter monies you get.

alright, in theory can't i just add the pathfinding function to the threadpool in the Update function?

lol no I spent all my time programming and my assets are garbage, level design is something I have no idea how to even begin, animations are non-existent and I have 3 enemy types that I reuse for the entire game.

sort of… it's slightly more complicated than that; I'll try to give a quick rundown.

Make sure you only dispatch each needed thread once, for each job that needs to be ran.
Here is a basic example for brevities sake:
you have 10 actors, and u want a thread per actor (10 threads), and a size 10 array of bool[] isThreadDispatched.
Now, before you ever dispatch a thread, make sure isThreadDispatched[actorIndex] is false, else, you need to check if the thread is finished; as you already have a thread executing for this particular actor.
In the update, you check, per actor, in their update function if (isThreadDispatched[actorNum]) is false, and you can thus execute a new threaded job for said actor; else, you need to check if the thread has finished executing (with a timer which is an overloaded function for checking the thread (exp. below), if timer expires, let the main thread continue).

Next up, parallelization:
Essentially, the functionality you're looking for is the usage of waithandles, or my preferred one: "ManualResetEvent".
You need to do a few things here to really get that parallel threading functionality here.

when you create each of these manualResetEvents per thread, u store these to non-local array (in this case, you would have one per actor). Thus, later u can utilize these to determine if a thread has finished.
you want to pass the manualResetEvent unique to this thread, to this thread, when u dispatch it with "ThreadPool.QueueUserWorkItem".
The reason being, is that this manualResetEvent is what the thread uses at the end to signify "this thread is finished working".
you need to have a function that is called every update (as mentioned at the start, if (isThreadDispatched[actorNum]) -> execute function to check if it's finished.
This function would check if any of the manualResetEvents stored in said non-local array, are finished.
F.e. this can be accomplished with:
int actorNumFinished = WaitHandle.WaitAny(myResetEventsArray, (float var) msTimeToWait)
After that "msTimeToWait" is passed, and if no threads have finished, the function you called will finish since that called WaitHandle.WaitAny has exited, and the main thread will be able to continue.
In this example, once any thread has finished it'll return which index in said myResetEventsArray (or, actorNum) did finish, and u could utilize the data that u stored in a concurrent collection, or, grab the data if you're utilizing the asynchronous delegates approach.

To clarify….
I mean, don't re-dispatch a thread, for the same set of data (duplicate dispatches).
Only dispatch a new thread, after the old thread has finished (as, you're re-using the threads within the threadpool), and that's why that isThreadDispatched bool is necessary; as to check if you can dispatch a new thread (from the thread pool), or if you need to check if the thread is finished.

ADOM was free for almost 20 years before that happened.

full retard

Depends on the quality I guess. He had a 3d horror game with a couple models, that just had missing models and a lack of content. For an RPG I don't know how you could show off impressive tech unless you showed cosmetic support, tools or mod-ability.

I really want to make a 4x game

Worst name for a genre name ever. It explains nothing.

Fairly self explanatory to me, at least as long as you know what the 4 X's are

I'm not gonna ask again after this, but should I or shouldn't I use RPGmaker to make a generic RPG for fun/practice, if so which version should I use, and if not what else should I use?

Doesn't matter what you use, then

pretty neat actually.
I never knew what they those X's stood for.

Probably right next to RPGs as

A lot of stuff under the hood, and hard to get right.

OH SHIT WE SOUNDCLOUD NOW
Audiofags you know what to do.

After half an hour of searching turned up nothing I have come to you.
How do I stop UE4 from rounding my sprites, I want them to remain blocky with 1 pixel per grid square.
I'm a complete noob following a tutorial, plz don't bully

For reference this is the source.

BLOGPOST

Literally all my money will be going towards food, rent, and drugs. There will be pennies left for other things. I might end up so drugged out that I wont be able to dev with any clarity or energy.

Something like this seems to happen every time I get decent momentum on a project

I haven't used UE in ages but you should be able to change the texture filter to linear or nearest…

This is called Sampling (from a texture). That should give you some direction for searching hopefully

not an expert, but your Pixels per unit in that picture is set to 1, did you try going for like 10 or some shit?

looks like tri/bilinear filtering, which can cause the pixels to "blend".
You want "point sampling", which will not blend the pixels.

It could be a number or wordings, for editing the setting… texture sampling, sprite sampling, or filtermode.
I don't use UE, so yeah… I can tell u how to do that in unity though heh

holy fuck that blows

I guess what I'm trying to say is dont waste time because you never know what will happen. You want to make a game? Make a game before something changes that stops you from doing so. Don't be self destructive but do everything you like as much as you like, it's your life, it's about you

t. should have been asleep 5 hours ago and work in the morning

Maybe use marijuana to minimize the symptoms?

Thanks all, I had to "Apply Paper2D Texture Settings" to the tileset before extracting.

You know, my aunt and sister keep trying to push weed pills on me. Apparently the aunt had a huge problem with it too, like almost dying several times, and it cleared her right up. They're of course not available in my province, or maybe they are by prescription, I don't fucking know. It's been a long day. Sorry.

We love you m8, you're going to make it.

Anyways, back on the topic of gamedev, I have to make some kind of lite scripting system for my RPG's conversation system, so it can interact with the player, journal, spells, inventory, etc.

The issue is that I'll probably end up with a string-based dictionary (using C#) since I don't necessarily know what variables will be set or present. So basically I'll have shit like

But then, since I can't control the return type elegantly with one function (I'd have to use generics and it might attempt an invalid cast to a non-primitive type), I was thinking of having it instead return an object that contains an enum so the user can either use soft typing or cast it to a specific type

Say something like this, but more refined (when it's not 4 am)

not my fault you picked an engine with shitty documentation

Just wanted to drop by and say that C# is cancer and that this is the most hideous code I've seen in a month. And I write PHP for a living.

Almost got me there mate.

what the fuck am i doing.

Finish it.
Hey you supposed to be 18+ to post here

trying to, though it's going slow as shit because i'm bad at coding.

i'm nineteen, actually.
started school at seven and a half. it's just kinda how it works in this slavic shithole.

What are the best archetypes to use as a model for waifus?

Ever checked out tutorials by Heartbeast or ShaunSpalding? They might help.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9FzW-m48fn2ug_FSNnfozQs3qYlBNyTd
youtube.com/watch?v=7XDcSXVUGsE&list=PLPRT_JORnIuo-DyoWbB7LBrhqlJnsltJq
youtube.com/watch?v=6v_7URcEGm8&list=PLPRT_JORnIurFYwHdWhLWR3bLH2nzChsm

Also, you can ask here for specifics, I know some anons here use Gamemaker and would gladly help including me.

Damn that's fucked up.

What do you mean by archetypes?

Question's a bit vague because I've no idea where to start. I want romanceable characters in my game, but I'm not that well versed in writing, so I don't know what kind of personalities or relations will "work". So I'm kinda looking for any stereotype or archetype that's a good starting point.

I've heard terms like tsundere, yandere, girl next door and childhood friend being thrown around. Something like that? Where's a good place to start?

This is not the best answer because this site is sjw-infested and the alternative is dead, but it's all I got:

just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsundere
just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Kuudere
just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChildhoodFriendRomance
just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RomanceArc
just as bad as buzzfeed, why are you even linking to this site? use allthetropes.orain.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteALoveStory

it's not really like i can't figure out how to do something specific. it's more like i have to write disgustingly inefficient code because X doesn't work quite as perfectly like i want it to.
example, I wanted Chrono Trigger type walking animations (it only has sprites for the main for directions. if, for example, you move left, and then start moving up-left, it will still keep the sprite of you moving left). basically, the up and down sprites would always overwrite the left and right sprites, so i had to find some autistic workaround where it just checks it way too often.

really, i have to go back and recode a bunch of stuff due to stupid bugs.
there's a movement engine i have that sets the X and Y movement variable to either +1 or -1, depending on direction, and sets it back when the key is released. the big problem with that is, if you release a key while moving a window or while the game is otherwise frozen, it will not count the input of you releasing it and will just keep moving forward.

i might put the project on the backburner, as i really have little idea of what i want to do with it anymore. i thought i had the entire first chapter planned out well enough, but it seems to be shit in retrospect.

had this idea for a simplistic, 30 minute-ish little rpg project focused on puzzle solving and a vague story thing. might have to work on that.

for a game like that, i'd say that you should probably have one of each archetype, just to maximize appeal.
also add a shy trap. faggots will throw shekels at you left and right.

Goddamnit.

allthetropes.org/wiki/Tsundere
allthetropes.org/wiki/Kuudere
allthetropes.org/wiki/Childhood_Friend_Romance
allthetropes.org/wiki/Romance_Arc
allthetropes.org/wiki/So_You_Want_To/Write_a_Love_Story

Thanks for the resources, guys. Will get on it.

Make sure to check:

C++ newb here. Can someone explain how to share data between classes? I just don't know where to start.
For example:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include

class Alpha {
public:
void AlphaFunc() {

int x = 20;
}

};

int main()
{
Alpha AO;
AO.AlphaFunc();
*x = 22;

return 0;
}

Woah woah fucked that example up.
Disregard the pointer, I meant to load an object and be able to change the information in that object from the main function. But of course "identifier is undefined" for x.

Make a function to change said value.

Try this on the step event:

var hmove = 0;var vmove = 0;if key_up {vmove--}if key_down {vmove++}if key_left {hmove--}if key_right {hmove++}x += hmove*vely += vmove*vel

key_up, key down, etc. being the keyboard_check buttons you used, make sure to not use "_pressed" or "_released" or it'll not work

vel being your desired velocity

Let me explain:
Every step when you press a directional button the variable will add or decrease, but also in every step it's equal to 0 before increasing or decreasing so it always be 1 or 0, everytime you are not pressing it's 0 and everytime you do it's 1, it will solve your window/froze problem because it doesn't need to detect the release input, the mere absence of pressing will make the character stop.

Also, c'mon, keep trying bruv.

Can you give example function?

void change_value(int new_value){ x = new_value;}

this is what i mean about being bad at coding, man. random people can fix my shit in five minutes when i can't do it in months.

it's not like everything i've done is complete shit. i will pat myself on the back for a few things i've done better than other horror RPGs. (more detailed animations and more frames of animation, an exclamation mark that appears when you can interact with stuff, different idle animations depending on context and location) but it doesn't mean much when the story I'm trying to tell is shit.

also how do I into music.
I kinda can make music but it's not very good.
aww.moe/14677u.mp3
one of the more tolerable songs i have.

Your class doesn't have any data to share. When you call AlphaFunc it creates a variable x, sets it to 20, and then destroys it. The following would work:
class Alpha {public:int x;void AlphaFunc() { x = 20; }};int main(){ Alpha AO; AO.AlphaFunc(); AO.x = 22; return 0;}
That said, it's generally seen as a bad thing to keep your variables as public like this. So instead of doing "AO.x = 22" you use a function like

But then I try to make use of x:
int main()
{
Alpha AO;
AO.AlphaFunc();
AO.x = 22;

std::cout

Did you declare int x in the class or in the function ?

Heads full of fuck today. I meant enter information to be processed however it needs to be by a separate class function, and then print or use the resulting information in another class.

Your x variable only exists inside the AlphaFunc() function. You have to declare it as a class member like did.

Change the line to cout

Actually that's a slight modification of a code a friend of mine sent me, he self-learned GML for years while in high school.

Animations are hard stuff, if you manage to pull that off with ease, you really should be proud. Talking about it, why won't you show some (animations)? To be honest, why don't you share some progress with us?

Really don't know

It's ok, nothing marvelous, the build up is quite slow tho.

If you declare x as a variable of Alpha like I did, then you can output it with std::cout

Oh so to use a variable from a class object at any point I need to use the '.' operator just like I would a function.

I know how to keep the original data private. I just wanted to know how to use data freely from a class object like above.

you should look for some C++ tutorials you clearly don't have a very good grasp of even the basic stuff.

Checked, also 7203de is right, try vid related and the C++ primer plus 6th edition. It comes with exercises to do.

never said it was anything glorious. but when most 2D RPGs have 3 frames per animation, it's not hard to outdo them.

Fine, then. embed related.

I only just know found out about the shading tool in Aseprite. I'm too fond of the program to use anything else.

i'm still clueless as to what you want me to do/what i'm doing/why my stuff doesn't work as intended
as i understand it, you want me to limit the amount of threads i make until one of them finishes
i still don't get what waithandles do. they return their value once the thread finishes?
and all things considered, i still don't understand why my thing doesn't work. even with 1 additional thread i can get issues (hence why i'm thinking that it isn't running parallel to the main thread) but i don't understand what the waithandles have to do with it

My nigga

I'll check out when I'm back from studies.

(checked)
(checked)
Humm… an odd issue u have here.
Your solution seems like it would work fine, but there's more elegant solutions.
You could use serialization here to store all of the actual entries… and you wouldn't have to have all of the entries for all entities in memory at once; just the filenames as you presumably already have (as you're passing entityID/scriptVarName string to access the dictionaries).

Here's an attempt, with the backend of serialization left out…
//GOAL://dynamically grab a scriptVariable, based on first: int EntityID, second: string scriptVarName//solution, use serialization to grab a file based on these two entries (fileName -> filePath + EntityID + scriptVarName + ".extension")//note: will need to have checks for null entries, or non-created files.static string filePath = "/some static file path to your saved data/";public ScriptVariable (int entityID, string scriptVarName){ string fileName = filePath + entityID + scriptVarName + ".extension"; //f.e. .json, or .xml return //note, this is a generic serializer/deserializer, will cast to ScriptVariable Serializer.deserializeToGeneric (fileName);}

woops, left out the function name "GetValue", but u get the point.

Sorry I guess?
I gave u a very detailed explanation, other people have tried to explain it too, and you can't seem to "get it".

THEN LEARN WHAT IT IS YOU'RE DOING
LOOK AT DOCS
LOOK AT TUTORIALS
Surely you're trolling user.

see above.

It has to do with threadpooling.
Look at docs for more info, or the multiple resources I've linked; so u can learn what it is.

i did, i tried basing my idea on msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.threading.manualresetevent(v=vs.110).aspx
but it's still the same issue and i can't for the love of god figure out why
fuck it, i'll just use navmesh, dynamic terrain is for priviliged white people anyways

Well at least you aren't me

Oh well maybe someday I'll be good enough to make or mod or hack a game

Computer Science? No…you'd have at least 1 programming class each semester. At least on decent colleges.
Don't tell me you're doing game design.
If you are doing CS and they're not teaching programming, quit that shit and don't pay them a single cent.

This is a meme.

If you know 1 language of a type (OOP, assembly, etc) that skills will typically carry over to another language of the same type. There is literally no reason to take Java if you understand OOP already, since in the real world you'd be able to apply the logic of OOP to figure it out easily. For this reason, I don't even fucking go to my classes anymore because I already understand everything fast enough to figure out "Oh, this is suppose to do this".

Although, at the same time. Classes like: Computer architecture, how 1800s computers where planned out, etc are also a waste of time. CS degrees are such a disgrace, because they try to pad them out for 4 years when you can learn most of it in 2. The only decent classes that are theoretical are ones relating to how Databases are planned out, how to plan out a program with business people, how to structure an entire program from scratch, etc.

I try to redpill my classmates on it occasionally, but they really like to latch onto the idea that they will need to convert finite automatons to none-definite finite automatons some day.

Nah, applied Computer Science and yeah I technically had programming classes but they were very limited. Class for C was basically "just use libraries lmao, I can now print a sinus curve to a text file", and C++ which should have been about objects but where more "Oh god how does this IDE even work".
What bothers me most is that I have no idea on how to get a project rolling or what even all the available and good tools are so I have been watching dev podcasts and stuff in order to scoop up the names of the tools these people use.

What is the minimum knowledge needed to write a compiler? A book on basic data structures and compilers?

The reason it's not working is because you are using the wrong fucking function
Without even know anything about C# or unity i can tell you whats going wrong
In the update function you call some thread function
It creates a bunch of threads that execute the function parallel
then it destroys all of the threads and then it continues on with the main thread
you can't be creating threads every fucking loop
The point is that you need to create the threads when you start the game and keep them alive the entire time
Now I don't know anything about unity nor do I want to so I refuse to go look at documentation for you
But what you are looking for a some function that allows you to create a thread that runs parallel to the thread you created that thread
However this may not be possible in which case you would need to create a extra thread for the main code

to write a compiler? Why not do it the way compilers do it? Learn how to write raw machine code and have the computer execute it, see how horrible it is, and use that to write a program that interprets text to do things instead :^)

In my classes we never used libraries. We had to build everything ourselves.
For a majority of the class we used gedit w/linux (we had to define our own syntax highlighting n such), and never learned how to use an IDE (VS) until the very end (professor was nice enough to allow us an "easier" final, w/syntax highlighting, as "that's how it'll be in the real world").
My professors were actually pretty knowledgeable, and described the actual inner workings of everything; so everyone had a firm grasp of what they're actually doing/using.
Although, that didn't stop the girls in our class from leeching off the beta males to get anything done.

I already tried to explain that user, there's no hope.

I've looked over that a tid'bit in the past, and you need to have a wide breadth of knowledge on each separate cog that makes up the compiler, and there's various approaches to actually doing this… which makes it pretty complicated.
Shit like, parsing (various approaches) which forms syntax trees (parse/abstract trees), and you need to know the rules of writing the specific form of grammar you're wanting to parse (f.e. context free grammar… getting into chomsky shit here); in addition to various intermediate steps.
Attached is the basic flow graph w/additional steps generally present.
I'd like to at least write my own simple compiler one day, but it has to have a use (on the todo list for a game mechanic); though I'm putting it off heh.

>"easier" final, w/syntax highlighting and intellisense*
woops, left that part out

aww shit, post #301

alright, so i just do this
void Start(){//start additional thread}void ThreadFunc(){while(true){//do shit until some condition happens//continue endlessly}}void Update(){//occasionally change some condition related to the other thread}
do i just leave it to while(true) or is there a more efficient way of making it wait until something happens?

something like that yes

I am more interesting in writing a compiler and using it for an OS than writing games. I come here because the technical discussion is of a higher quality than Holla Forums. I have two books, Data Structures in C and Engineering a Compiler. Do you think I need anything else? Obviously an OS book at some point but I am not there yet. I know the Data Structures book.

Honestly, my knowledge on compilers is very much "surface knowledge", and I would be lying if I told you I knew where to start.
Although, your plan sounds good to me, but in addition to that I'd probably find a few online "experts" blogs pertaining to the subject before I dived in (as they generally have good advice, from experience, on where to start, where to go next, etc.).

Took me ages to complete the day/night cycle but the results are very comfy.
My wife tells me to stop learning astronomy and start remaking shooty shooty mechanics

On that topic, while it's in C#, look up Eric Lippert. He worked on the development of C# and probably has a great idea of how the compiler works and why; he has a blog somewhere with good information… Maybe.

You can use BNFC to quite easily create your grammar.

bnfc.digitalgrammars.com/

Then use the language of your choice to make your Type Checker and Interpreter. BNFC will output an abstract syntax tree that you can fiddle around with,

This Panzer II Ausf. L is almost done I just need to do some modelling related tweaks then it can be unwrapped, textured including 3 different camous and the treads stuff too.

shieet

Remember the astronavigation element in Flashpoint?
it will be useless in my game but I aim at realism

I know you. Months ago you said the same exact thing last time I said universities are a meme. I forget where the conversation went but I remember what the answer was.

All that absolutely worthless shit in Uni's about computers from the 1800s, has a completely different version used today for compilers. Since compilers parse stuff similar to how those machine computers worked back then.
The compilers made so far where done by a collective group of people who know all sorts of crazy optimization tricks known only by assembly guru's, that I doubt any single person knows.
You obviously need to know assembly, since all compilers compile code into assembly then compile the assembly code.
To even get any sort of performance gain out of assembly BY ITSELF you already need to know of tricks and shit that it would be impossible for a compiler, meant to generally capture every type of program structure, to know of ahead of time. If you can't do this then writing a compiler is pointless.

None of this matters though because 1/10000th of the programming community will ever even think of working on a compiler, which is why teaching 1800s computer shit in school is retarded.

To expand

Knowing assembly like the back of your had really is the #1 thing. Also I forgot to mention it helps to know how your hardware works in some cases.

Gunna make a new bread soon.

remember to wait until… I think it's page 13/14, or 700 posts.
We could technically bump us down a few pages so we could make it go quicker, via bumping old breads that are lower in the pages, and aren't bump locked :^)

Yeah, that was probably me. I have a lot of free time coming up and need something to work on/towards.

Honestly I doubt a compiler is worth it. If anything, find a need for one first. A good section of the skills that are used for making a compiler are not used anywhere else in programming. Like a variant of Chomsky Normal form I forgot the name of. It doesn't matter what books you read. If you read a database book, and make a c-like compiler, all your database knowledge is effectively worthless.

I made a thread on p10 once

I was going to save this question for the next bread but I guess I can just repost it there.

Are there any decent game dev or indie (non-dev) communities? Every god damn dev community I see is flooded with unity questions or how do I code. I always liked the progress of this thread and seeing what other people are doing, which is why I opened it up to just indie general communities.

I haven't really looked much because I just assumed everywhere would be the same reddit-tier shit.

I am not really worried about optimization, at first. Just getting something working and learning how to do it. What good is making a video game? Most of the stuff I see here will never sell for money. People do it because they want to learn or get a job.

False equivalence. There is a creative layer to games, where as compilers are purely functional. Most people here are making games because the industry is garbage, and they want to play the game they make.

Tons of devs come out of the chans. The makers of Risk of Rain for example. There are even a few devs on here ,horror team for example that are showing a ton of promise.

However, a good amount of people on here aren't being realistic. Most of the stuff on here is made by a single person trying to make a game cut out for a team. So some of us are doomed as NoDevs. Not to mention it's pretty much taboo to talk about any plans to monetize your game, since the industry is focused on hardcore jewing, but at the same time that's the only way to do this as a job, and thus grow and improve the quality of the games being made with a bigger budget.

Everyone here is smart enough to stay the fuck away from getting a gamedev job. Unless they get lucky and squeeze their way into a small studio of like 10 people, game-development is a legendary god-awful. Out of touch managers, tedious work, constant unpaid overtime. I'd be surprised if anyone seriously thought about getting a job without forming their own studio or seeing if they could join a small one.

quality post, and good points.

I tried not to say anything too controversial since I was in a spot where I had to speak on behalf of everyone else here.

What do you think?

sounds like there'd be too many combinations for them to differ from one another in any really significant way.
how would you implement it, and what impact would it have on the game at large?

They'd mostly exist as a hook for an adventure/module to use.

Alignment would more commonly appear in terms of game mechanics, since I'm using Pathfinder as a base, so you'd see spells like Protection from Evil, or a Shield of Law spell or what have you. Specifically, for personality traits, I was thinking using them as a threshold to see if a character can join a faction or as a requirement for certain spells/items. An example would be that a monk faction might require a certain amount of humility and chasteness in order to progress within it, analogous to Morrowind's need for stats and skills.

The personality traits would be more useful for roleplaying and conversations; alignment would be more like what the character's goals are, whereas personality is how they would accomplish them. Since it depends on what the adventure creator does, dialog options could change, too.

while that sounds okay on paper, the real question I have is thus: is your idea actually attainable? as in, is your goal not too grand? it seems like the game would be absolutely huge, with tons of variables to keep track of. at the base level, you'd need to keep track of tons of variables, and even then it would be a nightmare.
don't let me hold ya back. if you can achieve this, then more power to ya, but it sounds like one hell of an undertaking.

Not realistically, no; but it does give me something to aim for and work towards.

I've been working on game dev on and off for like 8 years, and while I've never made a game and tend to lose interest in a specific project after a few weeks/months, I always try to modularize my code into systems so I can reuse it again later. I've slowly building an engine on top of XNA even though it's still pretty minimal.

It is? I have no interest in making a game I don't like just to cash in but if I eventually make something I consider good then I will try to monetize it. Best case scenario I make enough to found a small studio and make bigger games.

I guess it isn't really taboo in this thread. I always get the feeling in the rest of Holla Forums any basic marketing is met with autistic screeching

Even free games from here is met with it

8/v/ has changed a lot over the last 2 years but in the early days marketing was fine so long as devs were honest and said it was their game they were promoting.
I haven't seen any indie marketing in a long time but don't know it that's because it's getting deleted or if devs just aren't doing it.

Stanford has a free open courseware about compilers. keep meaning to take this course, but alas my laziness gets the better of me. Basically will teach you everything you need to know to build a real compiler which you will complete by the end of the course.
online.stanford.edu/course/compilers-0

Honestly, this board is just cancer at this point.

It's gotten so bad I can't differentiate between bait and people just being retarded. I doubt any indie devs would ever want to shill here, because this place is losing relevance with games and is becoming completely politicized. They're probably better off, I mean we saw how Red Sky dev's thread turned out. Also why would you want your name associated with a board known for neo-nazis and pedophiles? And sure Holla Forums was fun during the election season, but now they've made Holla Forums so butthurt they went nuclear and unleashed the fucking facebook hordes in here. /agdg/ threads are the only oasis in this shitheap, but I get the feeling though that the rest of the board's cancer will eventually flood this thread.

Lately I've been thinking of branching out to indie/game dev communities. Not just because of the fact this entire site is terminal, but also because connections would make actually being successful more realistic. Plus it would make finding team members a possibility. The only thing that sucks is game dev outside of the internet is pretty much limited to cucks. I googled conventions/conferences near me, and one of the top things that popped up was something where the first word was "Queers", so it was some gay rights game development shit. Right away, I can tell it's more SJW bullcrap than actual fucking games. I might start lurking a few of the other online communities just so I have a backup, because I honestly feel like the cancer will spread to this thread anyways.

It honestly feels like we're all doomed to be stranded on this sinking ship, but deep down I know somewhere there has to be an alternative.

Make porn games.

I'm in Hentai Writer's little discord clique, it's pretty comfy. Very anti-sjw, most are 4-chan literate, a few know of this place. Yeah it's very pro-Patreon and pro-shekels in general, but I was surprised that most of the devs were older people with families who give as much serious effort into their porn game as they would their mortgage.

I would generally stay away from indie forums in general since I'm pretty sure they have deteriorated because of the combination of naive noob devs and people who previously didn't give a shit about games now trying to make a buck, like pajeets.

Friend,

Please make my game. We will be in good collaboration and share profits with success. You must do the programming! Offer is $300 on completion of project

Thanks, I will check this out.

What other non-sjw sites are there? I always get banned for saying nigger.

just a reminder that the moon and other starts can be seen during sunlight

The moon, yes. I can't really imagine seeing any stars (perhaps beside Sirius?) during the day with one's"naked eye".
But tweaking the script so that stars are better visible during twilight is something I could do.

The only stars you can see during the day are /agdg/ devs :3

Does Wine compatibility count as a Linux release these days or am I retarded?

I can't build to Linux, actually.

Does Unity support Vulkan? I can't see any reason not to use it these days as it offers compatibility on everything.

I don't have the build-to-Android module but there's this:
blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/29/introducing-the-vulkan-renderer-preview/

It's a shame all the big engines seem to be a little late to the party with Vulkan and mobile seems to be the driving force in getting them to implement it but so long as they allow porting existing projects all will be well in the long run.
I just hate propriety APIs with a passion and want to see DX and all the nVidia technologies die in the coming years

alright, still trying to figure out the threads
so i've got this
void PathFindFunction() { while (true) { if (TriggerPathFunction) { TriggerPathFunction = false; MultiThreadAStar(_goal, curMethod); } Debug.LogError("thread running"); resetevent.WaitOne(); } }
it runs on it's own thread, started once in Start()
after every iteration, it should stop until resetevent gets a signal
and at some point in Update, under a certain condition (in this case left mouse clicking) the reset event thould get a signal, so that the thread continues
void Update(){//conditions//...TriggerPathFunction = true; resetevent.Set();}
however what happens is this
once the game starts, the thread runs and is immediately paused as it should be
i click once to tell it to make a path, it does and the unit goes there
but this time the thread doesn't pause, and it just keeps running
why isn't it stopping? i've only signaled it once, so shouldnt WaitOne() pause it again?

and before everyone shits on me for not reading docs and stuff, i'm trying to make it work similar to stackoverflow.com/questions/2430930/how-to-pause-suspend-a-thread-then-continue-it

Yeah, I look at the Unreal Engine release notes and any mention of Vulkan support involves Android. It sucks because I really care about Vulkan but I couldn't care less about mobile.

when do you call resetevent.Set()
Cause if you call it every loop it will keep starting the thread
I would put a break line on the resetevent.Set() line and see how often it's being called
Also it's questionable if you even want to pause the thread it's not really necessary

Here's a short presentation of some trigger action. The problem I have is the editor itself. I don't really know how to make the interface. In this video I only show one simple "command" being executed from the trigger, but it can execute more than just one. Commands such as
Teleport (presented in the video)
Color change
Tile change in the level
Spawning enemies / items
etc…

And of course triggers can do stuff with entities (open doors, move props etc. ) I just don't have any entities to test it with.
The real problem I have is the interface. I don't really know how to tackle this one. I thought of just making a scrip file for each trigger and that would be very easy to do, but that's not exactly IN-GAME editor then so… Any ideas ?

i mentioned it, i call Set() when i click the mouse to signal that i want the unit to move to a new location
it's obviously not called every loop
still, i don't see why i would willingly let the thread keep looping for no reason, isn't it just a waste?

is the resetevent the same event in both cases?

should be, i only do resetevent=new ManualResetEvent(false) once in the script

ok heres what you do
put an else after the if (TriggerPathFunction)
And put in a short sleep like a 100 ms or something should be more than enough to make the function almost nothing
It's workaround really but I can't see anything else wrong with the code

You could just turn that ENTER THE COMMAND… window into a small text editor, or make a list of commands underneath the Command button, maybe adding some branching to that, so you get something similar to Game Maker's drag n drop.

Psst

Why do you only keep going untill 300 posts or so ?