Paid mods

Oh boy here we go again. you still have those fax numbers Holla Forums ?
archive : archive.is/tWsXz

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/24010/?snr=1_5_9__205
store.steampowered.com/app/208348/?snr=1_5_9__405
store.steampowered.com/app/65242/?snr=1_5_9__405
store.steampowered.com/app/65233/?snr=1_5_9__405
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Holla Forums get out

TWENTY FIVE PERCENT

looks like someone needs a free helicopter ride

We can't let them do it again.

WOW valve is really upping their game. :^)

Fuck off.

Fuck off Holla Forums, no one likes you.

i-it's better than nothing goy

Why can't they just give them jobs? but this is preaching to the choir

They make free money from selling mods, is why.

I can't be the only one who thinks this is a good idea. Steam Greenlight resulted in nothing but shitty memegames and low effort trash and is one of the bigger reasons why Steam has had ZERO quality control for the last few years. Not that I would use steam anyways, but at least this is a step in the right direction for them.

Every new valve policy lately can be summed up to: *Give me cash*.

yup. hence preaching to the choir, we've had this conversation and will have it a hundred times more with the same things said. I guess the question is what do we do at this point when modders will go for the money and steam users and drones who will eat up paid mods if gabe just goes "fuck off I'm not removing it"?

I blame the ones that Give them cash.

YOU DON'T OWN ANYTHING GOY

I FUCKING KNEW THEY WOULD TRY IT AGAIN

NOW LOOK, HERE WE ARE

Oh, Gabe, you silly jew master you.

So, is are people who care about this make an uproar again or is Valve going to win by attrition?

WE IS WUZ PAID MODDERS AND SHEEEEIT

Valve is trying to release some new games. Mostly VR, garbage ones. They will probably build their new modding scene with buying mods by design.
That's the sort of jews they are.

Good thing I only have 3 or 4 games that I bought using Valve.

The kikes are at it again
rev up those faxes

If modders want to be paid then first they need to step up their game and start implementing some quality control. It's ridiculous that a major mod can spend 3, 4 even 5 years in development and still have a slew of bugs that lead to crashing, BSoD and save corruption.

I remember when Valve first tried paid mods and literally every mod they picked for their initial run had at least one bug or major error - I might be willing to tolerate this shit if all it costs me is my time, but if I'm expected to spend money on it then you damn well better give me a quality product and not some 10 minute hack-job that crashes every other minute.

Valve is implying that by making mods paid then modders will make better mods and wo'nt have BSoD and bugs.

Gabe Newell's faggy new haircut is a step up. Much better than that disgusting, greasy, shoulder-length mess he was sporting for
FOUR
FUCKING
YEARS

we weep because all the good modders will have to stop when their work keeps being stolen to be sold on steam.

Let's try to be positive: How can this be done RIGHT?

Who here is ready for the golden age of Mod Piracy?

I CANT WAIT

by letting modders sell the mods themselves and not doing it through steam where volvo gets a cut.

Did this thread get made again? What is going on?

A donation button.
An equivalent of gofundme for any fuckyuge mod project that requires hundreds of hours of work.
That's it.

Make the publisher pay for them. I can't wait to see Bethesda give cash for "ultra detailed 8k horse pussy and butthole"

Check mate goyim.

How about they should be free and gabe should stop being a lazy fuck and have a link to their donation page. Or gabe can give them a job and pay them properly for doing shit he can't do but relies on to keep his company afloat.
Mods shouldn't have to deal with copyright, trademark, permission to redistribute and reuse. The benefit's of mods is not middleman corporate bullshit, just make the mods, share it, and have fun.

Old one should have reached bump limit.

I'm sure in their minds that might be true, but if Early Access is anything to go by then giving money to people for unfinished, buggy products under the assumption that the money will somehow improve the product any faster simply does not work.

Doesn't valve take like 75% of the money from paid mods?

The thing with mods is that you're either dependent on an API and thus cannot really fix up the game's internal code or you don't have an API and you're stuck hacking your mods into the game which can lead into bugs far quicker.

Wasn't it something even more jewy like they took 100% until it crossed a threshold of profit and then they'd pay you?

They take 75% off cosmetics. With paid mods on Skyrim it was a 25/50/25 split between modder,Bethesda,Valve if memory serves me right.

im sure there are modders with a patreon account who make some money. i mean maybe steam could offer a "patreon for modders" service or some shit like that, but if they try to force paid mods again, they are the one who will pay.

A tip jar would be fine, honestly.

Ever since that shitty Steam workshop was introduced with that godawful subscription bullshit and it didn't let you download mods unless you specifically have the Steam version of the game, I knew that fat piece of shit was planning to monetize mods.

Makes me want to punch every Valvedrone fucktard celebrating whenever a game gets workshop support because they're too fucking retarded to download and install mods manually.

bethesda getting money made me so mad.
users that want to use the mod have already paid, but no, now you need to pay an extra fee to enjoy this work where they didn't put anything in. A fee for every one of them

If modders want compensation for their "work", what stops them from telling people to donate to them?

Cucks gotta get cucked.
It's their way of life.

Because way too many of them do it purely for attention. Now you know why modding communities are so full of drama.

Their main argument is that they do ask for donations, but never get them.
A more sensible argument is, if you can make mods, then why not just fucking make your own game like everybody else did before you?

If all your knowledge and proficiency is completely pointless if you don't already have a premade product to work on then maybe you just don't deserve to be payed at all. And if you do, then just go make something worth paying for.

because

Team Fortress, CS and Dota would disagree with that you dumb fucking retard
It takes more time to make, that's all.

i knew you were a pleb satan but before now i had no proof of how much of a pleb you are

Wow, that REALLY made me think
Wanna post an anime girl in the next post?

You are being a faggot, user.
Being a fag is bad.

and you clearly missed where i said
>making a game from scratch
before you went on parading your shit taste in games for all tosee , but please continue your butthurt is anything but amusing

Why is shitran kagayra terrible?

Guess who has though, modders.
Amazing isn't it? Sounds like they have all they need to make games, especially with all the readily available tools at our disposition today.
What a time to be alive

As if that matters? A game is a game, if it's different enough for people to make a franchise out of it then I'm pretty sure it counts as making a game from scratch.

But I guess shit like G-String, Underhell and Natural Selection also aren't full games.
Fuck you're stupid

Whew.

Maybe he is unaware that Dota started as a map for wc3…

Most modders can relate to 2 of my points. Modders typically work with existing engines, mechanics, and development tools. Source mods typically boil down to just making extra levels and textures packs when you think about it.

Gamebryo mods involve using the already programmed development kit to implement their models in an already programmed engine with pre-defined game rules.

Mods that made it into successful full games are typically made by bigger dev teams, while the average mod is usually done by a lone wolf whose skills only extend to one line of work.

And there are people on this board wondering why videogames are so shit these days when fags like you defend practises like these , keep doubling down on your shit taste and also tell me when your strawman army is finished

So because TF2 and CSGO are in the same engine they're not unique full games?
You do see the flaw in logic you're making, right? As long as it has enough content, even if that is maps, story or whatever else to separate it from what it was originally then they are a different game and can be sold as one.

I mean shit is Enderal a separate game or is it just Skyrim? The game has completely new assets, new story, better gameplay and almost nothing but the engine in common with Skyrim, are you actually going to agree it's not a separate game?

two to the one from the one to the three
I like good pussy and I like good trees
smoke so much weed you wouldn't believe
and I get more ass than a toilet seat
three to the one from the one to the three
I met a bad bitch last night in the D
let me tell you how I made her leave with me
conversation and hennessy
I've been to the motherfucking mountain top
heard motherfuckers talk, seen 'em drop
and if I ain't got a weapon I'ma pick up a rock
I'ma bust your ass and then continue to rock
get your ass off the wall with your two left feet
it's real easy just follow the beat
don't let the fly girl pass you by
but look real close cause strobe lights lie

user you're fucking retarded. If you believe all the Source mods are just exact copies of each other then you're way past saving.

lel

not an argument

Who are you quoting?

You, faggot

Then do a better job next time.

You're really good at this
You could've said from the start you don't give a shit and didn't actually want to discuss this

cant you already donate to mods you like on nexus mods? dose not that already solve the problem of paying mod developers for there work?

You're not understanding the problem.it's not about modders getting payed it's about muh 75%

The reason paid mods will never work is because with jews you lose

t. modder

The root of the issue of revenue is the copyright of the IP holder which puts modders on precarious legal footing re: profit. Revise copyright law to allow an explicit exemption for selling works published as alterations to add content to an existing work, with the provision that such right to revenue does not extend to any ownership of the original product IP on which the alteration is based. This would allow modders to paywall their content when and where they choose, and receive all of the revenue or share a portion with a platform of their choice for hosting their content. Publishers should not be entitled to any revenue from products they had no hand in creating. Their fair share of revenue comes from products they have assumed the risk and costs of publishing, namely the basic game and official DLC.

This doesn't change the fact that it would fracture the modding community, or that mods would be stolen and put up for sale. The latter is the more important problem which feeds into the former, and there's no way to resolve it without an incredibly cumbersome system for review and arbitration of disputes, because legal fees are pretty much beyond the means of modders.

As for the community itself, I think it would self-correct provided this system wasn't thrust into the middle of an existing and thriving community as they tried with Skyrim, where a network of interdependencies were already present. "Free" modders simply create or adapt an existing non-commercial license to prevent any of their work being used as a basis for a paid item. Those who want to get paid for modding will adjust to having to write everything from scratch. It's more or less how the open source software community trudges along, but I'm not sure how many people would want to deal with the hurdles for games that typically die out within a few years. It introduces a lot of administrative overhead for something that's supposed to be a hobby endeavor.

The short version is, there isn't a great way to do it right, and any way that mandates that both the distributor and publisher gets a majority of the revenue is absolutely wrong. Unfortunately, that's what Valve is going to push, regardless of other changes they make.

Oh look they want a rematch.

You fucking cretin, have you ever fucking modded a game? Of course you haven't, or you'd know that 90% of mods out there literally only changed a few images and changed a few words in notepad. Even a 12 year old kid can make a mod without ever seeing a single line of code. Most of the bigger mods only consist of copy-pasting a YAML structure or similar and changing some of the contents and boom - you got yourself a new fucking object, now just to add an appropriate picture to it in another folder and add some description. The idea that modding is even remotely comparable to the difficulty of making a game is fucking laughable. It's like saying that if you can paint a moustache on Mona Lisa in MS paint, then you are able to paint Mona Lisa on canvas no problem

Ah, this brings back memories. I remember I was able to change the Ancestral Ghost summon to make the ghost a merchant so I could sell junk more easily. Good times, good times…

So if modders want to get payed why not go professional and join a studio or make your own game? Why does nobody want to do it for fun and epeen anymore?

Christ I feel old.

Does this actually surprise anyone? They literally said, last time, that they were going to try again.

Do you really think that poaid mods will force Valve to do some sort of quality control for it?
If you have to pay for mods their qualitiy will drop like the Titanic.
Modders won't give a shit about quality and try to maxismise their profit with the lowest common denominator.
Vavle won't give a shit as long as the money comes in.

He's not talking about paid mods. Valve is introducing a policy where you have to pay a fee to get your independent game on greenlight.

Didn't they already have that? I remember something about them adding a $100 fee as a barrier, which went towards a charity.

Kikes want to destroy the concept of hobbies and turn everything into a business that they can milk you for.

Do you like to make dumb videos to entertain retards? You're a "content creator" now! Give up your job and start churning out the clickbait so you can survive off of the ad sense scraps we throw you, goyim.

Playing video games is your thing? Well now you're a " professional gamer"! Look at all those fancy trophies and prize pools those other autists are winning, you could win one of those too if you just eliminate all enjoyment you get from the game and treat it like a full-time career - don't forget to buy the DLC content so you can remain competitive!

Do you enjoy fucking around in 3DS Max, Photoshop and/or Unity? You deserve a reward for all your hard work, and since we're enabling you to receive that reward it's only fair you give us a 75% cut of the profits! Better sign up fast though, you wouldn't want someone else to come along, upload your work as theirs, and start profiting off of it instead of you, right?

Remember, goyim, enjoyment is literally worthless - the only true metric for if something is worthwhile is how much money you earn while doing it.

this

so sad that this is true, current year + 1 guys

Actually people still do it for fun, companies are just actively trying to make you think otherwise.
It's trying to change the idea of modding. Judging by your reaction it works great.

What does he mean by this?

Spoken like a true kike.

Either all of it is okay or none of it is okay.

If they're going to make paid mods at least 75% of the money should go to the modders and 25% to steam for letting them use their platform

I wish someone knew the study or video I'm reffering to, but it said something along this line:

They went to a really good university and tasked students with different activities, the more complex and cognitive-intensive (a.k.a, the more creativity and thought you had to put into it), the more money you were rewarded.
They discovered that easy tasks were done pretty successfully by students, however, most of the complex activities were a failure, since students either flat out failed or were really mediocre.

They made the same study on India, since they wanted to check that maybe money wasn't an issue for American Students and that resulted in them not putting enough effort on highly complex tasks. They did it with factory workers and they divided the complexity on: 1-day payment for easy tasks, 1-week payment for medium tasks and 1-month payment for hard tasks. The results were the same.

The people that conducted the study concluded that for highly complex and creative activities, money doesn't mean quality at all and it can actually harm the work of some. Maybe people want gratification from the community for well-done job, instead of their cash.

Now, I think this can be equaled to mods, since they require a lot if thought from modders, specially being creative. Giving money to people will surely make them release low-quality stuff just to get a check, and the practical evidence of Steam trying to sell them is an example.

This is pretty spot on. I've always made mods for the satisfaction of making something cool that other people enjoy. I'm sure everyone else does it for that "appreciation high" too, which drives you to make a fun product for the maximum enjoyment of the community you're making the mod for. When you inject money into the mix, you're fundamentally changing the reason people are making mods. It's no longer to create a fun product that people appreciate, it's to create a bare minimum that immediately gets you paid. Everyone saw that with the shitty "iron sword retexture mod for 99c" bullshit.

That's why I don't want to get paid for making mods, because I'm already getting paid with appreciation from the community. I work a real job that I hate, just like everyone else. Don't try to make a hobby I love into "work".

what the fuck, why is my name veronika lomax?

This is correct, except not really. It's not that they want to destroy it, rather that it's the best market they can invest in.

A farm or a mine can run out of materials and you still gotta compete against people you can't control as easily.
The entire transformation industry is dependant on technology and resources you might not own and might not always be available.

Now a market where there is no limit to how much you can produce and where the quality isn't an issue because "it's all relative"? That's the best market a group of people that can't create wealth on their own could invest in.

Videogames is just another franchise for them, it's another medium where they can sink in some cash, produce something out of thin air wasting nothing but someone's time and since the critics for this hobby can be easily manipulated, it's quality isn't a problem at all either (or so they like to think).

It's not about destroying, it's about adapting the market to them because that's something they can do far better with this than the metallurgy industry or the construction industry.

Be prepared because this time it will come silent and slowly accompany with an army of shills on reddit manipulating normalfag`s opinions on the matter, in fact the subversion may already began:

The new TOTAL WAR WARHAMMER just got a huge announcement after they released map making tools, they at first stated that custom maps on campaign was "unlikely to work", but after a week some random team discovered a way to do so and what followed was a huge community support for them.
The TWW devs quickly went 180 on their word and now are strongly supporting the initiative, even releasing an "update" on the end of february to facilitate this. It`s CA we are talking about here and most mods come from the steam workshop, it wouldn`t be a stretch to think they are preparing for a pay wall, since the first expansion of the game is due to the end of this year.

Good thing I fucking hate skyrim, so I just get to watch the ship sink and valve going with it, I lose 'muh games' But lately I honestly been losing more interest with them and what's replacing my interest is honestly Holla Forums.

Everything imaginable is being talked about here, and I love everyone here so much that I can't help but smile.

Honestly just knowing I can make you smile the same way you all make me smile, makes me happier than any videogame ever could.

Thank you anons, and thank you Holla Forums.

fucking kill yourself

Fuck off faggot.

post tits

you got me 10/10

You're absolutely right. I just had a look on reddit and nearly all of them are defending paid mods this time. I don't know if they're shills or just fucking retarded but knowing reddit it could be either.

Prepare your anuses boys paid mods is coming this time and redditors and other retards around the internet won't fight it like they did last time. We're basically alone on this one along with halfchan (I assume). Your autism has to be extra strong this time to fight it

We need fax numbers and email addresses, dammit!

Yeah I'm not gonna hold my breath. They are worse than reddit.

Love you all too.

Hasn't current year man already proclaimed that we're in current year +2 and it's the worst of all current years?

I do agree that modders should be rewarded for their work but we have this thing called…
FUCKING DONATIONS.
Modding needs to be free because the moment paid mods become a thing, Mods can no longer be reliant on each other cause everyone's gonna ask for a cut.
Fucking Valve. They see a potential revenue stream and would go full kike on it without looking at the repercussions of paid modding.
I'd rather toss a few bucks to a good modder instead of buying shit in a store because the storefront always gets a cut.

So I guess I have to ask, what can we do to fight off this stupid bullshit valve is doing, what's the best way I can help you all stop this? I want to be useful. And help in any form I can.

Black faxes and email spam is fun but doesn't really do anything. Just go shill on faggy normalfag sites about why paid mods are a bad, anti-consumer, anti-community idea.

Y-you too.

Are half-lizards even a thing in Elder Scrolls? What's with the ears\horns?
And more importantly: is there more of that?

Do what some other people did too. Make a fuckload of stupid ridiculous mods. There was a guy that made a mod whose only change was adding an apple on top of a barrel in a town. The mod was priced at 100$ and someone actually bought it anyway
Then there were a few that downloaded and ripped a few mods and re-uploaded them for free or at least cheaper. Sometimes they bothered to re-color, othertimes they couldn't even be arsed with that.
Then there's mod piracy where some people got a mod, removed whatever shitty protection it was using and re-uploaded it somewhere. Even just buying a mod and re-uploading it somewhere helps.

As long as the system is taken to the illogical extremes and shown how flawed it is and as long as people keep sabotaging it, it's never really gonna stick around.
Because who the fuck wants to browse a catalog where 95% are shitty joke low effort mods and the remaining 5% are hosted for free somewhere else?

Spread the word. If you have any accounts on forums, try starting a thread in an appropriate place. If you need evidence point towards what happened last time they tried this.
If you don't have any forum accounts, try talking to people on friends lists or whatever. If you're part of a vidya community bring it up and talk about it.

Also if anyone here is a Redditor, and I know you guys lurk here, go start a thread on /r/PCMasterRace. I remember them being pretty active last time, and they're the guys who deepthroat Valve the most. Get their favour and we get a lot more leverage

Yeah, i'm honestly pretty fucking gay, but I love to make you all happy because it makes me feel the same. And I do anything to preserve the happiness of the people I care about.

I hate gays. You committing suicide would make me happy.

Valve is in dire need of good ol' dekulakization. Fucking seize it! Do it now!
Seriously, competition needs to do something about it. uplay, origin and whatever rockstar's malware called are helping immensely by being so shit (origin's refund policy is really nice though, but fuck EA). Granted they only sell branded garbage, but GoG's assortment is rather lacking. Sure is nice to be a monopoly.
How can we make physical vidya great again?

Also, gibe darkness.pdf plos.

Love you too user.

Millennial psychology at its finest.

Done.
reddit. com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5tibmx/valve_modders_absolutely_need_to_be_paid/

I bought a Vive because fuck you, but never spent a cents on steam, that's the reason why i can't post comments there, i just download free stuff.

Modding used to be fairly easy when everything had 2D or low-poly 3D graphics and games were reasonably well made. Now games have way overly detailed graphics and they're pieces of shit in every way including code wise, so modding them is orders of magnitude more time consuming.

Basically they're not even worth modding unless you're getting paid and of course Gaben wants a cut of the revenue lel

The whole industry is fucked beyond recovery and watching it burn in a raging fire of shit and kikery while I play pic related is unbelievably fun

Not sure, what you mean by that user the words I say I honestly do mean, honestly Holla Forums has changed me as a person, I mean I used to hate people absolutely despised them until I came here, every day I come on and always find a reason to smile.

You have all given me a life I didn't have before you made me feel happiness I wasn't able to feel before, if it wasn't for all of you I still be battling my incredible depression.

No matter how dark life has gotten for me I find comfort here, I find safety, I find hope. It's something I as a person who 25 years of age has never felt in his entire life.

It's why I'm okay with opening myself up like this, because you make me want to.

wat

Translation: paid mods = we take a cut of 75% of the price and line our pockets so we can find more shitty failed projects.

SUBVERSION HAS BEEN ONGOING SINCE THE FIRST DISASTER AND IT'S RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE

The subversion has been the shift of focus from the fact that paid mods are shit to the cut the modders get.

This has been all over the place from then on. Slowly perception has been shifted and people focus on the 25% instead of the big picture. The next step Valve will take is reintroduce paid mods, but with a 50-75% cut for modders. Normalfags will lap this up on the spot, ESPECIALLY because they complained a lot about the 25%.

If you want modders to be compensated for their work, have it your way;
But only if the devs or publishers are the ones paying the modders for fixing/improving their broken/lacking games.

One of the greatest game mods of all time is Last man Standing coop for Doom 3. Something that should have been in the game to begin with. And they never charged a dime for it.

It was a 30/45/25 split between Valve, Bethesda, and modders respectively. In addition, only when the mod had made $400 total would the modder get their cut – namely, $100.

They don't. Or rather, they don't need money to make mods. It all runs on a volatile mixture of attention-seeking and autism, and money plays no factor in it. Of course, if you actually give people the ability to charge for mods, this will change immediatelly, as modding goes from hobby to bussiness. This is why we want to prevent it from happening.

Modders have both donations and patreon to get money, they don't need a 3rd source of money.

Haha, paying for mods. What a ridiculous idea!

wew lad

Is a literal faggot and his opinion is invalid.

It takes two to tango. Valve has been acting extraordinarily shitty for a while now and they're not innocent for it. Anyone who keeps giving them money should probably kill themselves.

With one drop of water, comes a raging ocean, another drop lites it on fire.

this identity politics thing is the best thing that (((they))) could ever come up with

Goes to show, how stupid people are these day's. If you all ever wish to see the shit show that is the steam forums I will always happily provide content for my anons.

Funnily enough, that's most likely the reason that the construction kit took so long to be released for FO4. That and they wanted no competition to their DLC while they were making it, because let's be honest. Modders have and will always make better content for a DLC than Bethesda can do.

From what I heard, there's a Bethesda.net framework or something similar with accounts and everything. Pretty much Steam but for Bethesda games because that's just what the real gamers need.
Apparently, it even lets you install mods with it, just like Steam Workshop and works with consoles too, wouldn't you believe it (except not because consoles lack some DLLs that a few mods need).

They are testing ideas and trying to come up with some kind of online store they control where they can distribute mods and charge people for it.

Developers hiring good mod authors to create mods for their game, i.e. Firaxis hiring the Long War devs.

So then someone claiming, 'Oh there's no steam workshop for fallout 4' argument is going to mean shit because people will move over to this new thing and steam will try to compete and both parties win regardless of who's paying who.

Wow, that is some high quality jewing. Well this ship is too good not to punch holes in, I will gladly and happily ruin their companies from within their own workings.

You can't see my simi right now, but it's there and quite rising. I can't wait to watch it all burn.

All while making everyone on Holla Forums happy, what a wonderful time to be alive.

Modding should never be a primary means of income, and the purpose of donations isn't to allow people to make enough money to quit their jobs, it's pretty much just a financial upvote. Additionally the only reason why Bethesda games have the modding scenes they do is because there isn't enough similar popular competition. Any modders who leave such games generally do so because there's not much more they can do for the game. Most of both games allow for little more beyond quality of life changes and additional assets. There have yet to be modders who actually became modders or decent game devs solely because of the concept of paid mods, and there have yet to be high-quality mods that required a price tag in order to be decent.

Everyone wants to make money, and everyone wishes that they could get paid for everything they do, whether it be sleeping, or jizzing, or a fun hobby, but the best and most reliable way to go about it is to meet demand, not gatekeeping and squeezing pennies out of pockets like you're trying to use up the last of your toothpaste. By the way, is there a blacklist of modders who support paid modding?

Half-races are not really a thing in TES. The mother's racial traits are almost totally dominant, with minor traits from the father's race.

Bretons, being noticeably part man part mer, are the result of about a thousand years of human slaves being raped by mer in the thousand or so years before the Alyssian Rebellion.

I'm always up for a LOL thread.

I want paid mods to happen. I hope they successfully implement paid modding. It's going to be a Battleborn tier train wreck that might kill Bethesda.

Well that's dumb. They were all over it last time. At least there's a thread on /r/pcgaming, and they seem to dislike the idea of paid mods.

So what else is new? But I think I appreciate growing up on commodore64, sega terminator and bootleg vidya more and more each day.

IT BEGINS

If it's actually for paying modders, then it'd be fine. If they skim even a cent off it, then it's scummy.

What they should implement is a way for Modders to attach their Steam Wallet to the Workshop content they upload, then if you like something, you can give them money straight away from your wallet to theirs.

As soon as you bring in giving them actual shekels, there's going to be taxes and tariffs, and it's going to get lawyers and courts involved.

We should raid valve.
In a perfect world it would be an actual raid where we break in and shoot their shit up, but I mean some anomalous leejun shit. It's in the middle of the evening in gringolandUSA and we should rev up those faxes, and anything else anons think of.

fuck you mark >>>/vcollins/

:^)

Quick, before the hot pockets delete this one too:
POST YFW THE FAT BASTARD'S MONOPOLY IS ENDING NOW

wew laddy

user, you know reddit will eat it up and even some anons. On the other deleted thread we already had a guy do it although it was probably someone pretending to be retarded.

It can't. Effectively modders get paid peanuts to pump out new content for lazy devs, and if any of them complain the owners of the IP can just say "well it's our game. fuck you" and take the content anyways. Also it only hurts further game quality because "mods will fix it" becomes the standard, not the exception.

My suggestions would be:

A: Pay what you want (option for free tho)
B: Pay by site popularity via ads (Still free mods)

B would basically be, you get cash based on how many views you bring to the mod page for (insert dev/etc company) hosted site. This pay would be split from the ad revenue for said page.

Essentially, the modders earn their pay as they bring eyes to the host's adverts via people coming for their content. Hosts owe it to said modders for pulling in people with their content so splitting the ad revenue for the mod page is fair.

Doing it this way hosts don't really spend much (just splitting the earnings a bit), and modders can get their trickle of cash that they seem to so desperately need (according to gaben). Everyone gets their money this way, and mods are still free. Obviously with ad-blockers it won't be that much, but it is at least something I guess.

Emus are legal.
Private servers of games are legal (see the infamous Wowscape lawsuit precedent).
I don't see why this can't be legal either.

Time for shitty $2.50 texture packs

Isn't the money that you have to pay in the new greenlight will be returned as soon as you're done doing the business papers to show how legit you really are? makes devs who makes quick buck out of asset flips rethink their stance and shows who's really want to put the game on the steam platform.

As for paid mods. I really hope valve just put a donate button, I would love to donate to people who take their time of their life to mode a game that they love and not turn it into a shitty business with the free version of the mods contain fucking ads to the paid version

What is funny is that Valve could easily do a donate button, where they take a cut of the money donated, but instead they choose to bang their heads against the wall like a bunch of retards

Isn't it all because Bethesda want that modding money and valve followed suit because they thought that it's ok? Still fucking retarded

It is pretty hilarious that Valve thought it would be a good idea to take business advice from fucking Bethesda

SHILL

I disagree, the kikes aren't doing it for the money (well that's a secondary consideration) but to destroy entertainment for white males.

If you didn't have video games at all ever, how much more depressed would you be?

valve had more to do with arranging paid mods than bethesda. Bethesda was just an ideal partner for it.

Here's something to think about.

I don't buy the whole Holla Forums rhetoric but there are times you can't deny that there's too many jews , both literal and figurative involved in these situations.

We've reached the point where everyone believes they're entitled to your money without actually giving you anything worth your money.

Developers and Publishers who greenlight incomplete games.
Publishers and Developers who play the blame game whenever the consumer gets fed up with the bullshit.

Infamously Capcom: The only company to successfully sell people the ENDING to several games.

Modders who are putting sprinkles on shit and are expecting to get paid. Why? Because someone else who does an excellent job modding is getting a large sum of money from the fanbase.

There used to be a time when the whole logic was " if a modder did an excellent job, you donated money." They never had the gall to demand money like they do today.

And the modders that do demand money these days? They take their sweet time while still reaping the benefits of pateron.

Underrated post Workshop literally turned the modding community into Bethesda tier cancer

Once again, it can work if Valve solves it with Quality Control, like they did to
Steam Greenlight - Steam Direct

refer to

Isn't Valve personally vetting games submitted to Steam Direct? I can't imagine the manpower that would be needed for a similar system for mods.

the implications are bad, would people need to pay for mods that just made the game easier and didn't do anything else (i.e infinite stack size in darkest dungeon)

it is only the tiniest modification to improve some arbitrary shit, imagine if it cost $10 just to make a game bearable?

Hey reddit, your problem is not with "the jews", it's with capitalism. A broken system that rewards greed and hatred, which enables con artists since profit is the only thing that matters.

So many industries have gone to shit because of sheer greed, laziness and exploitation, just like what valve and bethesda have tried to pull for years. Back when I was a kid, acting in such an dishonorable, scheming, parasitic manner was called Jewing someone or being a Jew. It had nothing to do with nazis or loving Trump nor did it apply only to actual Jews. Eat shit easily triggered faggot.

Of course they need to be paid. If they're not paid, how can valve get a cut of the dough?

capitalism is what ruins videogames

reminds me of how someone had a gold mod for sale in Skyrim where it just added a clump of gold coins to an area as a joke

If he truly believed that he could just add an official donation button and take a tiny 1% cut for running costs + a little profit (maybe let the publisher take another 1%). It still has problems to do with modders cooperating and suchlike but it's an improvement.

>it's with capitalism
larping "anarcho"communist detected lmao

keep up the good work "comrade", i'm sure states will dissolve globally and people will suddenly become saints

Fuck off Holla Forums Communism leads to starvation and slavery, Capitalism is barely any better but at least you still have eroding more and more thanks to authoritarian rhetoric pushed mostly by the left and minorities free will, unlike under Stalin or Mao.

There are legal issues with that, publishers will generally shut you down immediately for using their product without permission. That's why donations are generally vague like 'support my work' rather than 'support this specific mod' even if the person/team in question only makes a single mod.

Eat shit Mark.

wew lad
liberals aren't "left" dipshit
and you continue to be cucked by liberals by uncritically buying into their narrative

It's no wonder the video game industry is so rotten if it has people as stupid as you supporting it.

Enjoy being neo-feudal slaves you fucking retards. And stay out of Holla Forums.

enjoy deciding you're entitled to everyone else's money, even if it has been accumulated over several generations due to entire lifetimes of work and careful spending

me and my 4 houses will be right here faggot if i see an commy shit i'll double the rent lol

Copyright laws are really putting people who just want to make people happy between a rock and a hard place, and those laws sure are getting more constraining througout the years. If studios wouldn't be run by such obsessive sacks of shit who wish to micromanage everything related to production and instead learned to trust their development teams. Nope, they prefer to force feed everybody with their garbage and pay billion of dollars to bribe governments to legislate people loving pure shit. The money put into lobbying could easily be put towards hiring bigger and better teams to create better products but people infatuated with power are too narcissistic to see that.

lmao you guys are more retarded than redditors when it comes to politics and economics

Yes, clearly Jews care more about bullying white males than money. Everything that's happened to modern entertainment is the result of word coming from the grand rabbi to fuck with white guys and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that big business consists of a horde of kikes who simply want to drain anyone and everyone of their money.

Also
I'd likely be doing something infinitely more productive.

As much as the ruling elite would love for you to believe otherwise, there are more options than simply "full capitalism" or "full communism".

It should be fairly obvious that if someone is blaming capitalism as a whole then they're, by extension, targeting the humongous cabal of Jews that profit from it, however, they're also targeting the various people in business who aren't Jewish, but still act like money-grubbing kikes.

Not any of the anons you're talking to and without making any other points your graphs are great examples of correlation rather than causation. The second, in particular, could be explained by any number of things (e.g. as competition for jobs increases wages lower and people avoid unionising since they're happy just to have a job). This might not be the case but you have to provide evidence for your casual interpretation to purely co-relational evidence.

Copyright laws are indeed abused, particularly in the USA, but there is some point to the idea that people shouldn't be able to make a commercial product (largely) out of your code and often your intellectual property without giving you anything. This is of course not the same as accepting the occasional donation for your work (morally if not legally) but it's an issue. Remove this barrier and there's nothing to stop large companies like Bethesda taking small games, officially 'modding' them (slap some new textures on) and making fucktons off of that, for example.
The old style of simply turning a blind eye to modders who accept the occasional donation and cracking down on those who go fully commercial this is actually necessary since you must protect your copyright or lose it in the USA, a silly consequence of the current legislation is the best system.

We need a system that is a mixture of communism and capitalism, that will be a system that will be the most beneficial for everyone

hahahahahahahahaha

socialist then, maybe?

with a healthy national agenda that recognizes borders and prioritizes the needs and wellbeing of it's citizens? like a nationalist movement?

what if we put those together

When the capitalists are after your mods
You talk to them with the hammer and the sickle

Aren't you supposed to be starving because oligarchs running the state decided to appropriate all means of production and every food? Fuck off commie and stop derailing.

user please, I'm trying to not go full Holla Forums right here, I know kikes run everything and National socialism is better than capitalism and communism

What you said in response to my post I whiolly agree, if someone go full commercial with modding, he should be stomped down.

Failing to think through the long-term effects of their moves has always been Valve's problem. F2P + easy 'search for game' buttons in TF2 revitalised the community in the short term but killed off the remaining non-casual community in the long term. There are a handful of community-run servers left that aren't just faceless clones (e.g. 24/7 2fort fast-respawn) because of this. CS:GO's matchmaking had a similar effect on the community servers of Counterstrike: where once there was a thriving and varied set of servers you know only have surf and training serves to feed people into MM. Apparently there are no new casuals coming into Counterstrike anymore and Valve cannot work out why but it's obvious: MM killed the laid back pub servers that most people used to play in, a subset of which would go on to 'serious' Counterstrike.
Valve do not have set teams, any fucker can work on what they feel like, so there is no long-term thinking.

The problem is that people want more money than what they're fucking worth and they try their hardest to obfuscate the meaning of "worth" with shitty logic loops.

It's like paying 100$ for a hand painted, oil, replica of the Mona Lisa.

Then walking down the street and seeing someone selling a single black square on an unprimed, 5 dollar stretched canvas for 2000$.

We've allowed the wrong people to decide what is valuable and what is not.
We let shysters and hypemen control and contort our desires for quality and for some reason, we've turned against the hard worker.

We've stopped rewarding the hard working developer with donations, to the point they have to paywall their hardwork. Meanwhile, the shitty developer has his army of shills convincing you that his work is golden while he cokes up the money he should have been using to hire Quality Assurance Testers.

But once we hit paid mods, the market is going to go to shit.

We're going to get shitty mods with huge price tags and people will buy them. Why? Because they still believe that $$$$= Good. They believe that spending more money means they're superior and that in the long run will only create more shitty modders doing the same shitty tactics while decent modders can't compete.

Why work hard and get paid little when you can bullshit and get paid more? Hell, that's the whole notion of Paetron.

There's problems in every fucking step you take.

I think we all agree on that. The exception, of course, is when you make a total overhaul to the point of simply using the same engine for an entirely new game (e.g. Red Orchestra: Ostfront). Even then that was done through legal channels and TWI eventually sold out on everyone with RO2/KF2.

Of course, for example if someone is using the Unreal engine and decides to make a whole game by itself, sure he should be able to charge for it. Unreal getting a tiny cut, at most 5% would be reasonable.

In the current situation, a bunch of shysters and greedy bastard will try to argue in civil court, which is pretty much a sham at this point, so that Unreal get an exorbitant percentage for it, if Unreal hired just the right J. . I mean attorney.

Yes, the wording of the law needs changing to prevent abuse but the underlying spirit is right, more or less; people do have a right to control what they produce and to a reasonable degree things based on it.

Not really, fair use is shoddy at best and every 6 months they try to push another SOPA/PIPA/TPP style of legislature more draconian than the last. They only need to push one and rush it while people are busy watching and discussing whatever the fuck made up tragedy happens and everyone's fucked.

But if i give them more money, they might give us HALF LIFE 3

Really makes you think.

Part of that problem is the inability/unwillingness to roll back legislation instead of just adding more on top of it. Even if you make it possible to do something legally when there are 50 different regulations to follow it becomes too expensive for anyone smaller than a corporation to do (fixed costs and all that).

half life 2 was overrated shit

a half assed puzzle fps hybrid that had the least rewarding combat ever. a lot of the "puzzles" were time wasters reminding you the game had a physics engine

the story was typical scifi garbage that was done before and has been done better since

the gameplay is fucking forgettable

fuck half life in general. absolutely the most meme game ever, not enjoyable to anyone

You really are bad at this

I'm looking towards Trump asking that for every new legislation that enters, 2 needs to be removed. I just hope they won't go with extremely exhaustive bills then asking to remove 2 totally unrelated and practically useless laws which have a line in them. People nowadays don't dare rollback because most are bribed by really evil interests.

This is pretty much explaining the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.
Something you're intrinsically motivated to do will receive all of your effort, attention and creativity. Something you are extrinsically motivated to do will receive only the bare minimum of effort to satisfy that motivation.

It goes a level deeper, though. Extrinsic motivation can overtake and destroy intrinsic motivation. When someone who loves their hobby is suddenly rewarded with money for it, their intrinsic motivation is eroded - over enough time, they will only be doing it for the money and their hobby will be dead.

This shit again.

Making mods is a HOBBY.

Just like making artwork. Or making music.

If you wanted your hobby to make money, you git gud and then you make a business around that hobby.

Valve needs to butt out and do what they are good at- making HL3 before we are all too old to play it.

It's funny how communism works, right? When you see shit like that, it's enough to trick people into thinking that it could be applied on a large scale. It can't though. Communism only works under severe conditions:
1. Everybody in the community must personally know each other and interact with each other on a regular basis.
2. The community cannot be larger than ~100 people.

This is why you see it work in video games, on playgrounds or in small tribes and other backwater communes, but it horrendously and hilariously fails when idiots try to bring it up to a state level.

No, it works on a larger and grander scale too. We call it the internet.

Basically, everyone has equal access to the contents of a webpage. We all can browse it as we see fit, while a few people are designated to manage that webpage either as volunteers or paid employees of a backing organization.

If something interactive was hosted, like an imageboard or a forum, the scenario would approach true communism. Everyone who wanted to contribute would do so, generating an endless stream of new content for the enjoyment of all.

But in real life, nobody has successfully implemented communism. And I doubt we'll ever see such an implementation until we reach a world where robots have taken over all of the unskilled and most of the skilled labor forces. Because there will always be more of these jobs than people willing to fill them.

Yeah, makes you think.

the insistance on violent upheaval ensures dictatorships and total state domination

examples: literally everywhere that tried it

hmmmmm

remember comrade, once we violently murder all these rich people with our organised violance our peaceful stateless utopia will finally emerge without a single hitch!

you mean like… NATIONAL SOCIALISM?

It's only going to come out for Skyrim. Do you really think that fucking Doom .WADS are going to be on the steam marketplace soon?

Why is valve turning to such shit lately?

I posted too early.
If you want to be paid, modders are traditionally paid for exceptional work. There are a ton of instances where a mod was so good that the developers either made that mod into an expansion pack or let the modders make it into its own game. If you want to get paid, make your own fucking game.

i'm willing to believe gabe thinks he's actually doing the right thing

what we're seeing is a classic misunderstanding between developers and the people that play their games

As a matter of fact, yes I do. They took down DoomRL, this is the next logical step.

While commies try to rush every board? Fuck no. The internet works because its segregated, if we were all in close physical proximity, or if you commies ran it, any dissent would be met with a physical permaban. People would kill eachother and not work together under a forced umbrella, just like multiculturalism makes it out to be.

By the way you don't have a big government allocating your lack of rations because the administration said you have to eat roots and dirt, when you're shitposting, Instead you fucks get brought your food by your rich parents, while you idealize the death cult that is pushed by a subverted indocsstrination camp called university.

They are desperate for money after bleeding themselves bit-by-bit through other shitty decisions like restricting trading cards

i find it so hard to believe they can be desperate for money in the position they're in. they're the main platform for most games that even get released

Ever thought Gabe is just a filthy kike because he worked for Microkike? This isn't fucking rocket science.

A good point, and one that's overlooked frequently. Various DRM schemes have condemned the once-vibrant multiplayer modding scene. This works in favor of publishers who want players to forget about last year's game and buy the new hotness, instead of lingering forever on community-generated content the publisher isn't getting paid for. It's always about money, especially from the corporate perspective.

I thought they bled most of their money away with garbge like steam machines and that awful controller, and terrible VR.

charging for dlc and charging for mods isn't so different.

if someone took the effort to improve features on your own game, improving it dramatically, you might want to financially compensate them as the original developer

that can go well or badly in the long run, but it'd mean people are looking to actively improve oversights and potentially game ruining flaws that the developers just didn't pick up on

bad goy btw

Nigga did you forget the last time? Not even 24hr and all the Skyrim mods behind paywall were already on piratebay.

DCLs shouldn't exist in the first place, dumbass. It should be the old way of expansions with half as much content as the original game for half the original price at most. If people produce mods, they shouldn't be forced to get 25% of their tip jar. Neither should they put their mods behind pay walls. Modder rewarding should be at the choosing of the community and for the modder, not at the benefit of Valve and Bethesda. Fuck both companies and fuck lazy niggers who want to cash in on what other makes with their broken games.

Like I said, they did so much retarded shit that they are killing their own company without understanding why, that they are doubling down on the exact same methods that were killing it in the first place

If that's true, then the publisher should buy the IP rights to the mod from its author and release it as DLC, sidestepping this entire dramatic clusterfuck of paid mods.

That's two-for-two in the game of "How far can we miss the mark?" Thanks for playing.

I love you too m8, and if you were a cute sissy trap, I'd totally destroy your boypussy.

maybe they should. i haven't really articulated an elaborate system i'm proposing people should go by i'm just trying to understand the mindset behind it all

dlc isn't bad depending on the quality of it, fallout 3 dlc was good even though i did in fact pirate it

Gabe Newell doesn't know how to manipulate an industry for profit in any way at all, and I'm sure if he did he would never be associated with such acts!

How much more money does the fat cunt need?

DLC is bad.

It existing at all opens the door to this crap.

store.steampowered.com/app/24010/?snr=1_5_9__205

Okay so you buy Train Simulator right? Load up your favorite loco and go play.

Oh wait. The engine you want is DLC.
store.steampowered.com/app/208348/?snr=1_5_9__405
store.steampowered.com/app/65242/?snr=1_5_9__405
store.steampowered.com/app/65233/?snr=1_5_9__405

LOOK AT ALL THIS DLC. DLC! DLC! ALL OF THIS SHOULD BE MODS, ANY OTHER TRAIN SIMULATION THIS STUFF WOULD BE FREE MODS MADE BY THE COMMUNITY.

Its this kind of crap that needs to be stopped in its tracks.

Instead of releasing a complete enjoyable game and then encouraging people to customize it to their liking with mods, they release a stripped-down bare game environment and then sell all of the models and graphics needed to enjoy it as DLCs.

People paying for mods? They might as well be microtransaction DLC. Nickel and dime people to death, while poisoning the well and destroying game communities.

You're right, it's absolutely off the rails!

let the buyer beware i say, i'd never play any sort of simulator and if they want to predate on the turnboautists that'd buy a train simulator in the first place there's nothing i can do

it's not nice but it's just how it is. kind of like telemarketers predating on the elderly

Train Simulator is a very poor example, which you chose for the shock value of its complete DLC price tag. It's made for people who, in decades past, would have dedicated physical rooms and thousands of dollars to creating train models. It's only a "game" in that it is interactive software for the purpose of entertainment. Its DLC reflects the reality that different people want models of different trains, and its pricing reflects its extremely niche audience.

Gabe to the modding community.

You're lucky you're an anchor baby, you cheeky shit.

I really hate when fat kikes pretend their "help" is anything but bald-faced greed.

The only game with DLC-like modding is if you are playing Stalker. With Stalker you choose one mod and do a play through with it.
Not that i'm saying that Stalker needs paid modding, it fucking doesn't. It'd kill the community instantly.

Valve Software needs to be put out of business.
This greed is harming the entire industry, not just one platform.

What can we do to them to make them lose some cash? If the jew wants to jew people for more profit, we should cause them monetary damage.

user don't be a faggot please.

Valve: Gabe absolutely needs more shekels

Can't Holla Forums and Holla Forums be friends already?

You can spread the info that he is trying to push paid mods again. The reaction that he got last time is bound to ensure that users will hate Valve even more, all that you need to do is let them know

I don't know about actually making them lose money, but I would strongly encourage buying your games on competing platforms (and, yes, /scurv/dogs, buyfaggotry is a fundamental part of sending the message), preferably physically where available.

communists are a jew creation

So is capitalism

Who is this cat?

Holla Forums are national socialists though

ahahah but then they would work together to overthrow u- I mean they should stay divided for their ideals.

Valve is becoming the RIAA

Does Valve know people do things for reasons besides money? When I was a kid me and my brother made breakfast for my mom on mothers day. I never sent her a bill.

Mods have been happening for decades I don't see why it suddenly has to change.

Commies are good goyim useful idiots that think that they are the opposite to le ebil nazis.

already a thing bby

Money incentivizes higher quality. It also helps to direct work as people only pay for what they actually value. Voting with your wallets.

But mod makers should make their own games if they want to get paid for their work. People expect the work to be done for free because "that's the way it always has been!"

Mods are in the socialist / communist era. There's some good shit, but also crap, and no real pros are giving mod making a shot. They have never had exposure to true capitalistic incentives.

That's why the current industry is so good isn't it? And why low effort mobile games are the high moneymakers

Bethesda is still going to push for paid mods again, and this time, they have the walled garden of consoles (well, Xbots anyhow) to enforce their policies. If anything, I'd say that Valve isn't purely doing this because they just thought the internet forgot the last try, but they're trying to get out ahead of Bethesda on this.

Reminder that there are people who bought Skyrim once on consoles for $60, then bought it again for another $60 for mods. Then realized that they couldn't use mods on their PS4 because Sony got trolled hard by pissed off modder - so they bought an Xbox One and Skyrim once again @ $60. And they're still butthurt because the mods suck compared to PC and they don't know why. $600+ in hardware, and $180 in software.. - $780 in total just to chase after Todd's sweet sweet lies.

Factually incorrect. Try again

You may refuse to accept this, you may hate this reality, but many of the top earning games are actually good games in their core (they have to be good enough for people to keep coming back - see: Clash Royale), and fit the market needs of their target audiences while also working within the constraints of the mobile market (general refusal to pay money for full games, high piracy rates which only ads can monetize, willingness for whales to subsidize the market).

Mobile got the way it is now because people refused to pay money for games. The race to the bottom in pricing until F2P was obligatory. It was market pressure in a similar way that the market for mods is pressuring them to stay free else gamers will burn everything to the ground. Even now this race to the bottom is slowly happening on Steam where paid games that are not AAA or super popular are not making money… meanwhile F2P games can still make pretty good money.

You get what you're willing to pay for, the market incentivizes what it is willing to support. You want a certain kind of game with a certain kind of quality to be made? Pay for it. You want quality mods which enrich the gameplay of your favorite games? Pay for it. If you refuse to then you can't complain what you're left with.

Incentivizes doesn't mean it enforces it. It is up to the audience to vet and vote to encourage those who will produce quality. If the market refuses to do this then it will cause perverse incentives which lead to market ruin.

Here's the thing, mods are always a niche good. The cost of creating a mod will always supersede the price the niche is willing to pay, and those outside the niche will refuse to pay for something they aren't sure they'll enjoy. Paid mods will only lead to consumers not using mods, and then to mod makers not making mods.

TL;DR, as an inferior good to videogames, mods incentivize themselves out of the market.

and we see the jew in its natural habitat. Clash Royale use exploitation tricks to make people come back, like an abused wife.
Nice job outing yourself as a shill thought.
It doesn't work that way. Companies go after the bottom of the barrel for quick sales, and ignorant people gobble it up.
Kinda like the new models of electronic software and soon everything else pricing - you're licensed to it- are good right? Just because uninformed consumers buy into it, while megacompanies corrupt governments to add and enforce draconian protection laws (you're not entitled to repair your pc, car, fridge or whatever).
But everything it's good because
right, rabbi shill? You reddit fags that just parrot concept need to be gassed immedialty, you are to discussion what are niggers to society

You're completely fucking delusional. Money doesn't incentivize quality, all it incentivizes is to get more fucking MONEY. The quality is an afterthought, a secondary detail- "It has to meet the standard that idiots will pay for it". That is the one and ONLY standard they give a shit about. Why the hell do you think the tripleA vidya industry is churning out crap like there's no tomorrow? Because idiots keep BUYING the crap. It doesn't matter that it's crap, it matters that it sells.

Bull fucking SHIT. Mobile got the way it is now because freemium skinner boxes made more money. There are a number of paid games on the app store still, and they sell, but they make far less money because of the simple psychology behind them. You get your first hit for free, then you have to pay a meagre 99c here and there until you've blown $100 on a worthless piece of shit. Idiots eat this garbage up, that's why it's popular.

We had quality mods for decades before money ever tried to enter the equation. You're either the best goy of a kike's wet dreams or a shill, but either way you're a pathetic piece of shit that should make it to first base with the barrel of a shotgun.

Maybe this wouldn't be so transparent if Valve didn't get a huge cut, or any cut.

Good job, hotpockets.

Mods of any sort, are fags, and therefore must do it for free.

I can't unsee that her middle 2 fingers are conjoined now.

The socialist part refers to society, not the watered down gommunism.

This qualifies for an underage ban, mods?

Rather national socialism

There's a difference between total conversion mods that turns it into whole different games and shitty mods like this. These kind of mods doesn't deserve to be paid

This is how I feel about Steam's catalogue in general.

Are you a dumbass? Greenlight has had a $100 fee since the day it began. There's never NOT been a fee to use greenlight. You know Shower With Your Dad? Someone paid $100 to get that onto Steam.

Let me tell you a story Holla Forums.

In the long long ago I was in charge of a companies "modding community". I do not want to give the name of the software but you've all used it and even 15 years later it still powers half the communities on the internet. There was a large community of hackers that were adding features to the software and most of them had been at it since the mid-late 90s. I was born and bred in this community and taught the ways of it. We all shared code, we all released our code for free and we didn't have to do it under some autistic license like the GPL, we also supported and taught one another what we knew. If a newbie came to the community and wanted to learn we were happy to take him in and show him the ways. We weren't amazing programmers but we were pioneers in the sense that we were making stuff work in the browser that shouldn't even be able to function. We were the definition of hackers: Making shit work with bubble gum and rubber bands.

Anyway after 10 years of begin at it I found myself placed in charge of the hacking community. No one else wanted the job and someone needed to do it so I took it up and dealt with the politics. By this point in time faggotry had already started invading the community. We had tons of folks that thought themselves to be important but couldn't code their way out of a paper bag. They'd spend all day in the support forums yelling at newbies for not knowing how to configure something or copy/pasting code pretending to understand what they were talking about. If you called them out you were shouted down for begin mean.

These parasites started demanding a market place to sell their modifications in. They expected my team to spend hours upon hours setting up this market place for them in return for nothing. They also made several of the same points people make about paid mods for video games. Basically, they said the quality would go up and it'd be easier for the customer and more secure than the customers going to individual websites. They pushed and pushed for this idea and would constantly go above my head to the company when I refused to give in to it. I knew it was a bad idea. I blocked any attempt and implementing it. This was way before iphone/android too, hell steam was in its infancy. Even back then I knew what was going to happen if we ever allowed this.

Eventually the politics got to be too much and I decided that the community wasn't worth working 12 hours a day for free. So I resigned and they gave the job to my replacement. As soon as I saw who got it I knew we were utterly fucked. I signed out that day and didn't return for years.

If you go there now you'll see all the problems I knew were going to come;

I could go on about it but I'm sick of making this blog post already. Any one that advocates for this type of shit is either a dumb fuck or a parasite. This attitude has infected every thing over the past 10 years and is the main reason why ever single piece of software has gone to shit. It's why there are nothing but pajeets left hanging around support forums. All the smart people fucked off to something else years ago.

Triggered

Gamespy wasn't even that good.

you've all been drafted, get ready

Oh god this shit again.
Okay, Marxy, calm your tits and explain why we're really, truly doomed under this and it isn't just corporatism rearing it's ugly head again.

that may have been ambiguous with the penis image, I mean get ready to email, shill and fax Valve like before

Oh.

Never forget.

ill just post instead of bumplocking :^)

But Gaben is literally a jew.

They just want extra money - period. If anyone needs it plainly said; they are not interested in helping modders. They are just hoping to breach this grey area of content creation and milk money from it. Valve has tapped into every single possible thing left that Steam supports including making fucking cards that only exist on Steam. Gaben is a soulless monster that just exists to remember his Microsoft training and that means finding as many ways as possible to milk the monopoly he has.