Xonotic

Fast and free, gratis and libre arena shooter.
xonotic.org/

Holla Forums Absolute Wrath Server (Latvia, 0.8.1) Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=188.112.171.238:26000

Holla Forums Xonotic Server (NA Pacific, 0.8.1autobuild) Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.140.2:26000

Duel Ladder
Monthly event.
Duel other participants on maps within a map pool.
All skill levels welcome. This aims to help others find duel partners and improve.
February Map Pool: Finalrage, Stormkeep, RuinerX, Bloodrun, Boil

Newbie Guide:
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Halogenes_Newbie_Corner

If you're the first one on the server, announce in the thread so thread lurkers know when to join.

Mid-week there may be polls for playing times so we can all get together at the same times for larger scale matches. They will be marked with "Schedule Poll" in the subject.

Previous thread:
archive.fo/asCSp

Other urls found in this thread:

webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic.na
discord.gg/yZWGN2K
p.teknik.io/oByE5
dl.xonotic.co/boil-full-fcaa4fe2a014bbe592f27fa6de81a06d9c722da0-f625a5afae5cd7f464b0d97caa93577ff457c492.pk3
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare
xonotic.co/
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.138.242:26000
poal.me/plz0wz
poal.me/17ui73
poal.me/l11ytp
poal.me/8jjdor
dl.xonotic.co/map-dm-cpm24_nex_r1_fix.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/fe26.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/downer_final_r1.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/bloodprison_xon_r2.pk3)
dl.xonotic.co/toxicity.pk3)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IRC
The North American Holla Forums server has an IRC gateway to this irc channel that reports status when people are playing. Additionally, idlers on IRC can chat with players.
webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic.na

Discord
discord.gg/yZWGN2K

While these chatrooms are available, keep the thread as the main method of communication as chat services may be disagreeable to other posters.

Movement Tutorial
A circle jump offers a boost of starting speed and is the start of a usual CTS run. The webm is missing a few bits of important information. Going in a direction using one of WASD without jumping or moving the mouse provides only 320 qu/s max. However combined with moving the mouse laterally (creating a circular path), this maximum speed begins to exceed that amount (max 480 qu/s). To do a circle jump, reach a high speed on the ground then jump to preserve it from friction. The numbers are from the defrag mode and will be different for fragging, but the concept is the same.

For strafe jumping, a common thing among new players is to frantically wiggle the mouse back and forth without properly aiming at that angle. The best acceleration is based on an ideal angle, not on direction switching. This ideal angle will be farther from the center as velocity increases.
Direction switching is mainly for repositioning, avoiding collision with a wall or falling off the map.

Here's the paste for the opening post:
p.teknik.io/oByE5

Of course, it should be updated to include this month's map pool for the duel event.
Anything else, if you have a suggestion for the server(s) such as new maps, post in the thread.

LOL

I think this is how you git gud

Meant to post this one

He just wanted to share his defrag videos, but not post in the thread.

Ladder Update for New Thread

Currently got el.M set for next month's ladder, unless I misunderstood something. If anyone else wants to hop in for March, let me know. The ladder isn't meant to pit you against super difficult opponents, the goal is to have you even out and play against the opponent of the closest skill level, while knowing where your next target is should you surpass them

Or you could be like WORST and just shoot for top 5 90% of the time

reporting player activity

How come my 11 y/old self could play at a fairly high skill level but now I'm beyond shit?

Anyways, I'll come on in a bit.

That's great, we have a player in New Zealand you can play with sometime.

We've moved onto the Chicago Duel server since two players want to duel and the rest wanted to spectate.

Sorry I never came, I decided to do the campaign levels to regain some modicum of skill.

Coming now, also bumping thread.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THE FUN STOPS HERE

Have a wallpaper as penance.

I play with speakers. It doesn't matter at all for CTS and sometimes DM (when it's pubs).

why is boil in the ladder rotation

Nominated and voted for, in the last thread.

Because it's fun and was voted in. We should update it to the newest version though

The server's map has been updated to
dl.xonotic.co/boil-full-fcaa4fe2a014bbe592f27fa6de81a06d9c722da0-f625a5afae5cd7f464b0d97caa93577ff457c492.pk3

Literally what do I even do.

Try aiming at your opponent.

Why is this game so fucking hard?

It's not. I don't even really play arena shooters and I got into this no problem. I'm not great or anything but I can play fine

Try moving and shooting at the same time.

Real protip: There's a physics glitch that became a feature in Quakelike games–if you press left while turning left in midair, or right while turning right while midair, you get a speed boost. Getting good at this allows you to move faster. It was the earliest version of the "sprint button"; it just required a certain amount of coordination. Xonotic, being a Quake-like game, has this.

Also, many of the guns have quirks to them that make them more useful in certain situations. I recommend remapping at least a couple of them to keys near the WASD keys, so you have quick access to them.

I'll show you what's fucking hard. *unzips dick*

Lower your sensitivity, aim better

It's not? Pick up items, shoot dudes. The only thing hard about the game or anything in the genre is that the community is mostly veterans.

To be more precise (and blunt) forward+stage+turn in strafe direction for "straight line" accel, only forward and mouse for turn OR only strafe and turn (with the strafe direction being the same one you turn your mouse in) for turning corners. The former is strafejump, the latter is bhop. Strafejump requires slow turns and bhop requires faster (but still smooth) ones

If you wanna lean strafe turn rates and snap angles, spec THE WORST, Komier, Dizzy or Fetus in CTS if/when you get a chance

Also bind all of your weapons. The only number key I use is 2 for electro. Number keys a shit. You will want to switch to blaster, devastator, mortar and vortex fairly quickly as well

Epic client downloader is fucking trash holy shit. It's like I hired a 60 year old woman to build a house.

On the server, with 2 others.

Cool story, but this is the Xonotic thread.

Four new CTS maps added to the server today:
zeel-rivesud
zeel-ponpon
zeel-omnitek
zeel-ibara

That sounds like all the more reason to install and play Xonotic instead.

Kinda off-topic but why is unreal so dead?

Keep up the good fight boyos.

I think the whole genre has the deal with an extremely low player population.

It has the same problem as RTS and Fightans, and only Fightans have really dealt with the problem properly. Closest you get to a solution with RTS is Blizzard output or FAF
Basically there needs to be more of a community aspect so that potential converts from the normalfag population can see AFPS as a potential hobby. This also means that tutorials and statistical information needs to be available and centralized (see: shoryuken). It also needs to be easily accessed and readily apparent to a normalfag (read: not ESR, though it could link to it for sure)
A single large release from a well known company would also help. Currently AFPS has no "Street Fighter", and I doubt Champions will even be a proper AFPS, and UT4 ain't really picking up the slack, so we'd have to bank on something like Diabotical getting enough Dotards to break into the mainstream.

Tl;dr it can be fixed, but it depends on a decent amount of work done by a fairly large number of people (relatively speaking) to pull off. It also means bringing in more casuals/normalfags

While there isn't a shoryuken for AFPS, we still have some near abandoned Xonotic wiki.

Good way to start is to share some map expertise. Currently this one has the most content to it.
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare

I disagree, the game is too fast for newcomers and most of the community are Quake veterans.

LOL

First time playing this game, it's unexpectedly really fun

Most of the Holla Forums server started about 6-8 months ago
I'm the only "veteran" from the thread, and I just botmatched in CPM for a few years because I wasnt going to learn much from 40-0 matches vs 10 year vets

There's a few Xon "vets" in the server that have been playing for a few years, but they show up sporadically

Also speed is relative. If you play against newbies, the game is as fast as you can go. If you're really keen on keeping the skill cap low, ask another new player to duel. Some of us will spectate and drop advice in after the match, depending on when you're online

The best part is when you start to get into all the different skillsets. It's really rewarding hitting a jump you couldn't before or linking up a ridiculous combo to knock out someone with stack advantage

I was playing some Q3 with bots just now. They're terrible even on nightmare. After a while they always pick one place to camp on and never leave it. They also avoid picking things up. They skip right over mega healths and red armors. They stick to their favorite weapons only, even if it's not appropriate for the situation, making them easy to counter. Xonitic AI is even dumber. They do things like keep walking into a wall. I need some humans to play against.

It's not their fault, Quake III bots learn from playing against you.

Indeed they are.
Just say when you're going on the server.

Pretty funny how a lot of news websites picked up that random story.
But they don't, unless its some mod.

hi what's your favorite retro arena shooter XD

I tried playing again. I think it may have something to do with dying. The bot started camping at the place where he last fragged me. Just standing there with the default machine gun not even looking around while I sneak up on him. If I frag him a few times after that, he starts playing normally.

I'm in but it's empty.

Get CPM and play against the CPM bots (pick a difficulty rating 10 or higher). They actually strafejump and pick up items (though they usually cant get to one of either Mega Health or Red Armor for whatever reason)

Basically how it ideally goes is that someone posts that they're going to play and go on the server. Then other people who see the post go online too. (It used to be that, to avoid the issue of one person getting impatient (i.e thread update them) and leaving just as someone else joins, there was a poll where we all indicate when we're going to play, but people stopped voting on those.)

thread update time*

How do you leave a match from the menu? If I'm in a match and want to browse the menu, I'd rather leave instead of idling. The only way I can see to do that is the quit the entire game.

F3 to spectate or F11 to disconnect from the server.

On the server with…

it's only mildly related but I hate it when a cool multiplayer game has literally no-one playing (usually I can find at least one server to play xonotic on)
but there was a cool early access game that had a good 30-40 players but then completely died out before the devs could even finish it.
sucks man.

Three things:

1. Can we shorten the match time from 20 min to 10 min? I get bored of the map before it ends, especially if it's a duel and the map is too big for 2 players.

2. Can the server get more maps? I'd really love some classic maps like a variant of DM17 and Chronic. I can see there are a lot of maps here: xonotic.co/

3. How to votemap during the game?

You're talking about the European server right?

Type in console…
vcall gotomap
This immediately ends the match to change map.

vcall nextmap
This queues the map to be played next and takes effect once the match ends.

So how does this differ from other Arena shooters?

I'm talking about Holla Forums Absolute Wrath Server (Latvia 0.8.1)

Weapons, also maps that are designed to let me go FAST

Maps are designed for movement tricks with ramps. There's a benefit in fire rate when combo'ing shots while switching between weapons (there also isn't a wait to implicitly reload after a shot)- which makes combo'ing projectile shots a bit more popular than hitscan and/or continuous fire weapons.

People who played other arena shooters more can probably go into more detail.

I cant explain it from a UT perspective, because I'm a Quakefag, but basically take VQ3 movement, add in airstrafing and bhop (like what CPM does) and then make ramp jumping a hugely important thing. You can also accel by holding W, but it's not as fast. There is an accel cap of 900 qu/s outside of mods/proper cts.
You also glide up stairs, and can keep momentum through teleporters. There are also seamless teleporters that you can see/fire through

You can swap weapons to cut out the reload time, and you can shoot projectiles out of the air (basically forcibly detonating devastators and mortars with other explosives or incidental vort shots. All weapons have a primary and alt-fire, but the one for the blaster is shit (it's just a redundant quick-switch)

Megas are both on 30s. In vanilla, you can just keep grabbing items all the way up to 200 and in XPM you can stack with anything up to 100, but it takes 5's and megas to stack to 200. Health will regen up to 100 and both health and armor steadily tick down when above 100
Armor counts for 70/80% absorption, depending on mode

I think that pretty much covers it

Admittedly I can't either, but from what I've seen of UT and what I've seen of Xon the only real similarly I can see between the two is the fact that weapons have alt-fires. The weapons themselves don't really take after UT, the movement system isn't UT in the slighest, and stack doesn't work like that, either. It's a Quake/CPM-like game, not a UT-like game.

The last time I checked up on that server it was just a basic server (which can be considered lacking). I'm not sure how often the admin for that server checks up on the thread, if he does to begin with. It may go the same path as the French server if the admin doesn't respond to client requests.

Sorry about the recent packet loss. Server is going offline and will be back up later.

Server and IRC gateway is online again under a different ip address. The link in the OP is outdated.

dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.138.242:26000

For whatever reason, deathmask doesn't show the NA Holla Forums server (yet?) in the server even though it's on there and that link works. Still nice to look for activity on there but something to be aware of

I'll try to be on a little more tomorrow. Got dragged into team queues in other games for a week or two

PSA: If you want to communicate someone and you don't use discord or IRC, you can instead, post on the thread.

Additionally this can be done instead of asking if someone is on discord/irc/etc.

Angels Fall First?
Yeah, it's a fucking shame.

THE WORST challenging 9-ball

Duel results are in.
Ruinerx drop, Stormkeep drop, Aero pick, Mint pick, 9-ball wins both.

ok faggot, I will play with you.

I am waiting nigger. And I'm also exhausted as fuck right now. I bet even if I had that sentence
like this
this will happen again.

My latency will probably be fucking awful (200+ ping on average) but I'll try joining a game later today.

Anyone else want to join the ladder? Currently got e.LM set to be in for March
Also, for those participating, any map nominations? I'll try to get a poll set up for tomorrow and will post it in the thread. Kinda forgot it was near the end of a 28 day month

Also I fucked the formatting for the ruurus there. I'll fix it for next time

The non-uniform height of the rows on rank and players is weird from your ruuru's as well. Also I notice the MA on Boil for the Holla Forums server is strangely absent, and I'm starting to doubt it was removed in a revision.

yeah, I'll sort that crap out. Couldn't get the google doc to display it properly so I tried to import it to librecalc

Also MA loss is most likely not a revision thing, since [HUB] Kansas still has it

Again.

THE WORST challenging Splat, Mini, and 9-Ball

im the best american minsta player. ive beaten the likes of totally cool, bear, komier and splat. you were no challenge for me

poal.me/plz0wz poll for this months maps. Had to rush things a little bit because I forgot we were on the manlet month. Please vote if you're on the ladder. If you wanna get on that ladder, let me know

I know nowadays people are either going to the Chicago Duel or Dallas Defrag server. But if I can get some feedback on the server's performance lately that'd be nice. If there's packet loss, describe percentage, time it occurs, or any pattern to it.

And any kind of feedback is nice, just post in the thread.

Are there any maps people want to get more familiar with, or like but want to get extra good at?
Also is there a particular gamemode that any of you would like more maps for? Even if you don't have specific map suggestions I can try to scrounge some shit up and throw suggestions at Ant

I browse this thread too you dork.
We don't need this going on in chatrooms in order to get a map on the server.

[3:55 AM] Komier: @Antares memestrafe-dankz was requested on your defrag list[3:56 AM] Komier: I can't finish it, but worst and toeykateknee wants it[4:00 AM] Antares: i bet they told you to tell me to add it to the list...

May have been hastily interpreted. I get it way too often that its as if someone waits until they catch me online to tell me something.

My point was that some people might want more maps but might not have specific suggestions. I genuinely like fucking around on maps, so I can just bulk survey a bunch from .co. If people have a specific suggestion they can just post it here

I am going to try this again. The difference is that now the times are server time because now there's a server for Europeans.

Friday, March 3rd
poal.me/17ui73

Saturday, March 4th
poal.me/l11ytp

Because right now
1) posting when one comes onto the server is ineffective because of different thread update times and involves some degree of waiting that others may not have patience for.
2) just going on the server when someone else i.e refreshing dpmaster, relies on someone willing to sit on an empty server to begin with. Right now, results in a persistently empty server or people going to other servers more consistently populated.

So if you want to play, just indicate when beforehand so there's less ambiguity on the time you'd be waiting. The options don't mean playing for 2 hours strictly, its the range where a time will fall between.

Aside from that, I know Deathmatch is getting stale (-), considered a casual game mode (-), easy for drop-in/drop-out (+), playable on any map (+), and results in it being the 'default' game mode when there's multiple people. So I ask we put more thought and communication into doing whatever otherwise we get stuck with DM being the only mode played.

Would anyone be interested in a more organized team mode based thing? Either scheduled TDM/CTF days or a more structured ladder?
Was thinking people might enjoy 2's and 3's with guaranteed teammates more than drop in TDM/CTF

I'm up for it as usual. I think there's a lockteams command that can prevent pubs from joining and leaving the teams screwed up.

I think it would be best to have an explicit day or set of times for it it if possible, but a ladder with challenges could also work

poal.me/8jjdor

If we get enough interest we could get into 4's, but that all depends on level of of participation

How can I counter electrofags?

Also hopping around on the server for a bit.

Don't run at them so predictably. The electro takes a little bit to combo, so just make a note of their typical ambush spots and don't flat-out chase them.

And if you know where they are, you should be able to use the Mortar and Devastator pretty well, or you can outrange them with Vortex/MG.

If you get a good read on when they'll do it, blaster and crylink are good for messing with positioning while you put yourself in a better spot

Poll results for Friday.
Most votes come in the day before. If you will be playing on Saturday as well, please indicate the time you will be coming online.

poal.me/l11ytp

Additionally, express your interest in potential events for the team game modes.

Forgot to post this.
e.LM please shit disturb your way up the list
Map list is as follows
Fuse (included in Xonotic)
Phrantic (dl.xonotic.co/map-dm-cpm24_nex_r1_fix.pk3)
Fe26 (dl.xonotic.co/fe26.pk3)
Aerowalk (dl.xonotic.co/hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3)
Downer (dl.xonotic.co/downer_final_r1.pk3)
Bloodprison (dl.xonotic.co/bloodprison_xon_r2.pk3)
Toxicity (dl.xonotic.co/toxicity.pk3)
Also I realize I forgot the downer link in the image. It'll be fixed for the next post. I'll also try to format this shit a little better at some point

On the server with two other players.
Also I added an xpm (available on non-XDF and non-XPM game modes) and lockteams (available on team modes only) vote to the server.

What happened to the serv?

The map changed and we're playing on it.

It looks like we have other plans for Saturday, but I'll still come online around ~5 PM server time.

Back before you added support for map downloads not on xonotic.co I suggested: bromine, grudge, and voll_aufs_maul_v4. I would also like to suggest dreadfulplace_v1, kwadraty_v1r1, lethargy, and quark_v1a.

Yes please. I would also like to suggest clan arena.