DWARF FORTRESS THREAD

If you want to play Dwarf Fortress, you're going to need this
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0 (Just click "Download" in part 1 of the instructions, then click "Download Now" at the top of the next page)

and this
youtube.com/watch?v=ouDiKXYeqeY&list=PL0sBhCMFBvPlF7wG7OH-NFQKMeCQiS8aM (A tutorial on how to play DF and not die like a retard)

How do you guys protect your fort from werebeasts?
Is there anything you can do if just have tetrahedrite or is copper armor good enough?
How do you guys drain the lava around your candy?

Also stories and screenshots of your forts atm

There's literally no reason to not play masterwork. Toady's adding simulations of the individual atoms that make up toenail dirt and driving the frames down in the process. Masterwork is actually a game.

Wasted potential: The game.

This game would be 10000x better if there was any multithreading or any slight attempt to optimize it. You can't take advantage of 80% of the fucking game because it lags so god damn hard. It exponentially increases with use of the following:

Half the shit in the game is fucking useless. There is no endgame other than the circus. It honestly feels like the dev built it up to expand on it later, and then lost all interest in the game.

Dwarf Fortress has reached the point of being fucking retarded in terms of it's complexity. Yeah, it's cool that you have fuckloads of features, but what's the point in any of that if the game is unplayable with default settings because of shitty fps?

Is this not the most satisfying thing?

Masterwork is garbage.

Nigger you 85 IQ or what?

Honestly this is exactly that.
If toady would just dedicate, like, 3 months to fucking improving optimization, or rewriting the graphics, or even fucking completely redoing the UI, this game would be 6,0000000000,0000000000000 times better.

He didn't even say that retard. You're like one of those faggots who watches a sundance film and deflects criticism by saying "it's too deep for you"

How is it unplayable? The game does have some performance issues but it's solid as long as you'd typically play a fort before FPS death.

sounds like lots of shit is too deep for you

I wasn't the guy you replied to. Although, I will explain - after a while, dorf does get unplayable, both in fort and adventure mode.
One time in adventure mode I tried to go inside a spire and the game fucking ran at 5 seconds per frame. In fort mode I had the usual FPS death associated with high dwarf populations. The guy you replied to isn't saying it's hard, he said it's broken.

No, it hasn't you just fell for memes.

It barely has any features at all, at least one's that impact gameplay. 85% of the skills are just name-resource swaps with eachother.

True

This is some transcendental bait.

So literally get your fort built up so you can turn it into a civilization, and then quit the game.

I've got a toaster of a computer fucking low end processor integrated graphics. Is there a mod out there yet that lets me play this thing without creating a possible fire? Or optimization work? I love this game, just wish it was as low end as roguelikes normally are.

Ditch masterwork get sex mods tbh

We've come full circle

Remember when DF was new? Boatmurdered? Trying to figure out how to play the fucking thing through various tuts? 2 cat?

When did we fucking get old? Where did 2007 go?

i know that feel
i played gnomoria recently and got rekt by goblins and mants but when i play dorf fort im stuck waiting for something interesting to happen.
Last time i had fun with dorf fort their was some kind of bug where every child in the history of ever got kidnapped by goblins and every migrant that showed up was mad depressed about it.

Dorf fort has more potential then gnomoria or rimworld can realize but toady doesnt have any direction so if something cool happens its probably a bug or accident because of all the complex systems he has in place.
Also i swear to fuck toady reduced sieges and forgotten beast attacks or something im spending season after season bored off my ass.

I haven't really followed the creator, but judging the premise of DF and where it ended up. I get the feeling he had a cool idea, tried it out, didn't know what the fuck to do with it, and then gave up on it but doesn't want to lose his playerbase.

The problem with Dwarf Fortress is that it's not a GAME; it's a world simulator. It's like Space Engine except with dorfs and goblins instead of stars and planets. It's like the world that Tolkien created, except if he never bothered to write The Hobbit or LoTR using it.

You could reasonably argue that it's at least partially a game, because the "lose" state would be all of your dwarves dying.

You sound like a hipster faggot trying to justify why their walking simulator is good. "World simulator" doesn't justify having a game that is optimized like garbage, is full of useless features, and has absolutely nothing in it.

look at all this bait

I really wanted to like this game but found it was an autistic PoS. I already knew the UI sucked but glad I quit before I found out how poorly optimized it was.

Implementing multi-threading would likely take him a few years, since he'd have to rewrite pretty much everything from the ground up to do it.
His code is the most atrocious spaghetti and on top of that it's obfuscated as fuck because he's paranoid about people stealing his intellectual property, which further increases the difficulty of ever improving anything at all.

RimWorld is an okay 6/10 game. It's just too shallow at the moment.
I don't need any simulation shit, though, just give me interacting mechanisms so I can build nefarious devices like I can make in DF. That's all I give a fuck about - advanced emergent bullshit engineering.

It's not really, because you can reclaim fortresses at a later time.

Reclaiming is ass. Everything should stay in stockpiles, but just have random shit be broken or stolen.

Nigger, it's not about how hard or easy the game is, it's about game becoming unplayable due to FPS death. Which happens every fucking time in fortress mode.

I admit I used wrong words there. Game has too many worthless features that were added just for shits and giggles when game can ill afford such shit due to FPS death.

nah it makes sense for shit to be all fucked up just not to the extent that it is.
say if their were modifiers where 75% of the shit stays relatively close or untouched from where it was and then the rest would spread out across the remaining ranges with maybe 5% of the shit from that specific stockpile ending up on the surface. I also think some of the shit should get broken or stolen.

So, given that lately DF has been feeling rather dull for me, I've been thinking of going back to some older versions, where things were a bit crazier, and a fair bit more interesting.
Around where should I go, you think?

UI is perfectly fine. I'd make the case the graphics are quite acceptable, on that, as well. I rather despise tilesets, for instance. Ugly as fuck.
UI, though, preforms its role perfectly, outside of two ares. Military and job screen are not ideal, but with experience you can navigate both easily. However, the rest of the UI functions astoundingly fast, even with low experience.

older versions were filled with awful bugs that always made me stop playing.
shit like walls not being built when placed adjacent to other walls and other game breaking shit like that

The last version before z-levels were added.

If you fucking googled how to fix your framerate you would get those comfy 20 year old fortresses you've been missing out on.
t. someone playing dorf on a low-end PC.
Use stockpiles sparingly, and any items you craft that you wish to sell then specifically do not make stockpiles for them and let the workshops pile up.
Also you can lookup how to make quantum stockpiles to trick dwarves into depositing items in a single spot.

So you want the plebbit and pewdiepie audience playing it as well?
Just throw it in the bin instead.
The UI and graphics are completley fine as long as you aren't braindead reatrded.

Don`t forget about atomic erasers, aka raised bridges.

I wouldn't mind that actually, then maybe the dev would pull his ass out of his butt and actually develop properly, rather than just catering to the most autistic of assburgers in his community (aka the ones who defends his honor hardest on the forums).

Should I perhaps optimize the game and make it run less shit?
Nah my best friend #3684 on the forum said that I don't have to if I don't want to, so I'm just going to add this new pointless thing that I saw in a dream I had last week.

Maybe if a couple thousand pewdiedrones or retardditors let him know that THIS GAME RUNS FOR SHIT FFS then maybe he'll pull his head out of his arse and shit out some actual useful and needed updates to the game.

I agree that multi-threading support would be great but you're a fucking moron if you think DF is a game.

The more accessible a game is, the lower it's quality is. This is an undeniable truth.

It is funny that you don't understand that he creates the game for himself.

I bet you would probably go in an Aurora 4x thread and bitch, bitch bitch like you love to.

Aurora 4X isn't a broken, useless mess.

I made a second fort, but I haven't played much of it since I sent a squad to fist fight a were-lemur, and had 10 fatalities. I need to become unretarded at military and defense.

That is why the first thing you do is create a gate using a bridge to your fort located inside the mountain.

Having a dwarf fort that isn't in a mountain is haram.

For the first few years I only use one handpicked melee dwarf as a soldier and have them kill everything possible all of the time unless it's a forbidden beast or a swarm of undead or something.
That way they become masters and any additional dwarf can act as a meat shield/distraction and eventually become masters themselves.

Do were-beasts and forgotten beasts just fuck off after a certain amount of time if you shut the gate and keep the dorfs inside? I don't suppose there's any way to rid yourself of a siege other than to fight them.

Good advice, thanks.

If you manage to survive enough to make iron armour you can just make a danger-room and make 20 gods.

And by melee I mean melee weapon like an axe or something.

I want to eventually try the above ground town fort that has a mine strictly for resoures.

All things can eventually fuck off if they have a path to leave.
The only things that don't are sieges.

i enjoy masterwork more, but with the kind of games this is, i imagine some people are thrilled by atom simulation.
i mean, you gotta give the man some credit. and personally i get a warm fuzzy feeling that hes making his dream game.

FPS death should not be a thing at all you cockmongler

forgotten beasts stay forever, werefurries will leave when they turn back into a naked guy

This is objectively wrong you retard.

Is it? Last I knew they just hung around doing nothing but killing each other

Unless they are physically trapped, they can leave at any time through the same way they came. The underground caves are usually all connected.

What do? Produce as many goods and hope the traders arrive before anything dangerous? Abandon and start a new fort?

Make everything out of glass.

Since no one seems to reply to you the last two times I've seen you post this this week, here's your reply.

Dig down until you hit lava and go full injun outfitting your militia with obsidian swords and hide armor.

Tell the yearly liaison to sell you a fuckton of iron by only asking for iron.

What do sex mods do? Just add penises and vaginas?