Advice on Monitors

I posted on this a few months ago, wanted to get thoughts on this for you all. After saving for about 3 years, I finally bought what the gaming system have always wanted from company called Puget Sound. I know, I'm a dick for not building my own, just didn't think I had the experience and haven't really messed with vidya since before I began UG.
Anyway, from what I can tell, maybe the best monitor for pure vidya would be the Asus ROG Swift. But since I intend to use it for work as well, I think I've got it down to two options:

1. LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor with Thunderbolt
34" 21:9 Curved QHD IPS Monitor
Thunderbolt 2.0 (x 2)
USB 3.0 Quick Charge
sRGB over 99% / Color Calibrated
Height / Tilt Adjustable Stand
Screen Split 2.0 (with PIP Mode)

OR:

2. Samsung CF791 Series 34-Inch Curved Widescreen Monitor (C34F791)

1500R Curvature 34” Widescreen Monitor
Quantum dot technology supporting sRGB 125%
21:9 aspect ratio for powerful multi-tasking
100h Hz Screen Refresh Rate & 4ms Response Time

Does anyone have any advice other than the usual (fag, you suck, your system sucks, you got ripped off, both of these suck, etc..) ??

If I want to run Vidya at full capacity, how important is the 100hz, especially if I had the intel i7 6 core overclocked?

I'm not a spoiled richfag btw, I saved for this fucking thing and literally lived on oatmeal and cheap protein powder to save enough shekels for this system.
Anyway, any ideas appreciated. thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC98-W-ultrawide-monitor
samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/34--cf791-wqhd-monitor-lc34f791wqnxza/
acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/model/UM.HB0SA.003
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. Don't expect to run high resolutions at high refresh unless you have the hardware to do so.

2. Look up WSGF. If you're trying to run games at 21:9 you'll have to rely on hacks for most things since developers only care about 16:9 aspect ratio. This is not an exaggeration.

This is the other option:
This is Lg page on their's: lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC98-W-ultrawide-monitor

This is Samsung page:
samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/curved/34--cf791-wqhd-monitor-lc34f791wqnxza/

Originally, had planned to get 3 semi-decent monitors from somewhere like Costco and put them together, but after talking to a few friends who have something like that based on those who have the one 34 inch, the 34 seemed like the better way to go for the extra $250-$300.

does anyone have a setup like this and ikes it/doesn't like? The Samsung already has speakers so that seems like a better option in some ways, but after all I've invested I guess another $100 for decent logitech speakers wouldn't be that bad.

These are specs:
Asus X99 Deluxe II
CPU
Intel Core i7 6850K 3.6GHz Six Core 15MB 140W Overclocked
Ram
Crucial 32GB DDR4-2133 (4x8GB)
Video Card
NVIDIA Titan X 12GB
Sound Card
Onboard Sound
Networking
Integrated WiFi+Bluetooth

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD

Western Digital Red 4TB SATA 6Gb/s

Going to look into WSGF, thanks. Now might have to go back to drawing board and maybe think about something like a 4k with a normal aspect ratio..

Actually go use one before dropping that kind of money on it. I prefer monitors around 24 inches or so because I sit pretty close to them. My brother runs a large 42 inch monitor as his main and I'm not a fan of it. He has it about as close as I keep mine and it's nearly impossible to see the entire screen unless you're a ways back from his desk.

It works for him because he plays everything with a controller and doesn't do any actual work on that PC. I prefer the option of begin able to rotate my main monitor (well all of them) vertically when I need too. What ended up working best for me was a decent main monitor that does 144hz@1080p, a good secondary 120hz@1080p, my old 21-inch CRT monitor, and a decent 32-inch TV as the fourth for when guests are over or when I want to be lazy on the couch. My use case is probably different from yours.

Thanks. I hadn't even considered that I'd have to tinker with every game not designed for that aspect ratio. I thought I had it figured out, now I might need to rethink entire thing.

Even my two 980 Ti struggle to run some things at 4K 60Hz & I believe 980 Ti is just a stripped down version of the TITAN X tuned more for gaming. Your original plan of 3840x1440 however brings headaches of dealing with aspect ratio that many devs are too lazy to support.

Your suggested options are a mixed bag.

Well, at least for display technologies I can say that IPS often has less than stellar black levels, but still far better colors than TN panel. VA also has better color than TN but has better black levels than both TN & IPS, yet in some ways is not as good as IPS. Display technologies have their pros & cons while manufacturers try to do their best within those limitations. Just read reviews on monitors & avoid anything with many reviews mentioning ghosting or backlight bleed (ghosting moreso).

For something like…Witcher 3,does 100hz sound like enough? You are right, I def should go try them out, but I also use controllers for all my games since never got used to playing games with mouse/keyboard bc were just too expensive.
So, essnetially I'd probably be playing most of my games on a controller, save for something like Elder Scrolls since it's so goddam complicated.
The samsung is 100Hz, but the LG lets you ajust for height and tilt and also has thunderbult jacks to plug in for macbook if I want to see work on a larger screen.

Most people tell me that it's important to be able to rotate at least one vertically to easily see your lists of items or whatever for certain games. With the LG, I wonder if I could use the ipad for that function (I'm not a Mac fag by choice for workshit, it's the standard).

These aren't for gaming, the aspect ratio is non-standard.

I have, love and recommend acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/model/UM.HB0SA.003 if you are are happy to only buy nVidia GPUs for the life of the monitor Price is in roobucks.

>how important is the 100hz, especially if I had the intel i7 6 core overclocked?
100hz is much nicer than 60hz for fast gameplay but personally I can't see much of a difference between 100hz and 144hz.
As for your CPU that isn't going to be the limiting factor in the vast majority of game, GPU maters more.

Do you trust reviews on amazon, or are most people just so excited to get their product opened and set up they are going to give it a good review no matter what?
I know, sorry for newfag-type questions on this, have been saving toward it for a while and want to set myself as best I can. I've been reading a lot but most of the time I assume the reviewer is just on the take, thus the reason I trust you all more than any reviewer.

thanks, going to get to Bestbuy (US electronics store) this weekend and check it out. Actually, my real fear is that a month after I buy the monitor, suddenly they'll drop an OLED monitor at a decent price. Happened to me literally a week after I bought my TV.

My two cents: try to hit something in the sub 500 dollar range. Your GPU will start to hit diminishing returns at resolutions higher than 1080p, so just get something within that resolution range that offers decent quality visuals and a standard refresh rate. That is, unless you're planning on getting a new GPU sometime soon. Otherwise, something like a 1440p or 4k is just overkill.

Ditto. I have an overclocked 6-core 5930K & haven't seen any issue with PC games or emulation. OP should be more than fine with 6850K, it even has full 40 PCI-E lanes so there will be no issues with adding PCI-E devices later if desired. A 6-core i7 is mostly for additional performance in work applications though. Most games won't benefit from 6-core much since, as previously stated, many developers are lazy halfwits.

Any thoughts on this? the earlier user was pleased with Acer, this seems about the same:

Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Display
Gaming without Compromise
Fasten your seatbelt: Acer's Predator XB271HU WQHD display is about to turbocharge your gaming experience. This monitor combines jaw dropping specs, IPS panel that supports 144Hz refresh rate, delivering an amazing gaming experience. Also, featuring NVIDIA G-SYNC technology to eliminate screen tearing which provide gamers the epic gaming experience and help to secure the victory. Plus, built-in eye protection and ergonomics allow you to press forward into battle without fatigue.

Viewable Area: 27" Display
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Panel Type: IPS
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Refresh Rate: 144Hz (OverClocking to 165Hz) - Using Display Port
Pixel Pitch: 0.233mm
Response Time: 4ms
Speakers: 2 speakers (2 watts per speaker)
Ports: 4 - USB 3.0 Ports
Signal Inputs: 1 x Display Port & 1 x HDMI 1.4
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Parts & Labor

I wouldn't go below 120hz for my main monitor. Even my TV does 120hz. An Ipad isn't going to be a good solution for what you want to do. You can pick up good mounts for little money and pair them with cheap monitors if you want, that's what I did with my secondary (my main came with a good mount).

I disagree, my 1070 sees only a tiny performance hit at 1440p compared to 1080p and the extra field of view helps in many games.
That said I don't think hardware is ready for 4k yet and even with SLI-1080's you are going to have a hard time hitting 60fps let alone over 100fps.

what about idea of starting off with something like the Acer 27" predator and then hopefully adding another 2 over the next year or so?

The catch with multi-monitor setups is the bezel. In a few years we should have VR headsets with decent res offering infinite monitor space much cheaper and without bexels.

I know, that's what I'm hoping for. Reason I ended up going for the Titan was because I heard that if VR takes a sudden leap (given cuckberg owning oculus and the lawsuit they just lost, doubt it will be them) I'd be good for at least a few years.

if it can't do 240hz why even bother?

Sometimes I forget I am poor

I ordered this thing from a small company that specializes in high end gaming machines. I know, I prob went overboard and got ripped off, but I was always the faggot in high school who couldn't even afford his own computer so this is muh compensation now that I've made at least a few shekels and haven't been spending money on the vaginal Jew since I broke up with ex 2 yrs ago.
Anyway, the party line at the place is that they only sell this monitor (if you want 34") since it's the one that comes close enough to being able to properly display their specs.
I want a long monitor both for vidya and also to be able to more easily follow happenings since it promises to be an interesting year. This is 100Hz, not sure what it overclocks to. Thoughts?
I know I really should get a more traditionally shaped 27 given the specs, but I really want the the long one. Is this acceptable do you all think?

For useful advice, it sounds like you're the goodest goy on earth, they know it too and they're going to shellack you for everything they can get, so buy whatever you want.

obviously not buying it from them. Also, if the phrase "party line" (typically used by commissars in the USSR run by le happy merchants) didn't let you know I'm not so brainless as to believe that, not sure what would. and sure as hell did not buy it from them.
My thing is that if I spent the shekels on the overclocking, do I need a high end monitor for it to even be noticeable?

So long as you can "claim" you use it at least 50% of the time for business, it's a tax deduction.

oh fuck, are you aware that monitor projects the asus logo on your physical desktop?

i always laugh when i see it displayed on a store

kek, that would be classy if I brought a girl home..

curved is a meme that makes no difference.

1440p60 and 1080p144 monitors are great value for money. There's quite a price gulf to the next stepping stone, 1440p144, and you need some serious hardware to run newer games at that resolution and frame rate. That said, if you're absolutely sure you'd be able to run games at 1440p144, having the best of both worlds is fucking amazing.

I wouldn't bother with 4K just yet. If you want to play new games at that resolution you'll need a GTX 1080 at the least. If you want to play old games on it then you won't be able to see shit as most don't have UI scaling.

Nigger, what?
Fucking Christ, user.

You want either 1080p or 1440p (don't do 4k),16:9. 21:9 is fucking stupid, it's for movies, not games. With games you can change the camera angle to look around so your eyes are always at the center of the screen so you want dimensions that closely match your eyes' sensitivity. That's 4:3 but hollywood jews killed it so settle for 16:9. 21:9 is trading frame rate to render stuff you can barely see. And compatibility is shit.

Curved is a ridiculous waste of space to make stupidly large LCDs work at all, but it's a goddamn PC monitor, just move it closer if it's 'too small', there's no "couch distance" bullshit in PC gaming. A 34" PC monitor at 1440p must have pixels the size of pennies or something. Disgusting.

hz rate is very fucking important as 60hz is way too low today. There's a huge difference in feel and responsiveness between 60 and 100+. I don't notice much difference between 120 and 144, but between 60 and 120 is night and day. I can't imagine spending all that to play games at console frame rates. This is also why you don't want 4k. The hardware to drive it at high frame rates without horrible hacks like SLI doesn't exist yet at any price.

Also, seeing as you have a Titan X, burning all that money and not getting a gsync monitor to go with it would be an unwise allocation of funds. gsync is a dramatic quality difference.

Try to go IPS, but be aware there aren't many high frame rate IPS monitors.

I'd recommend looking at this as an example of an ideal gaymen monitor:
Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display
If it weren't for backlight inconsistency, QA issues, and a weak stand it'd be perfect. I have two of them and I'm very happy with them but if I did photography more seriously I'd get a third monitor for editing due to how the the backlight creates phantom gradients.

she'd leave immediately and you'd never get your mouth spat into.

I have a 29UM67-P and I hate it. It's unsupported in almost every game and you have to use finnicky hacks and mods to make it work. I also don't find the 29" 21:9 form factor to be so great, it feels really cramped and narrow and I'm always wishing I had more vertical space. The 34" ones are probably better.

I have my ultrawide up on ebay right now and I want to buy a 144hz monitor preferrably with freesync. Does anyone have any experience with 144hz displays in the ~$200 range? I've been looking at the Acer XF240H and the AOC G2460PF.

I should have just put off buying the entire fucking system until I had the time to build myself. But another year or so and the Jews will have managed to ruin every game as opposed to only 80% of them as they have now.

I can get an Acer Predator 35-inch with g-sync. It's 144 Hz but the tradeoff is that it's only 2560-1080, which is less than my TV.

The Asus is 100Hx but 3440 X 1440. Fuck it, entire thing is giving me a headache. Doubt the Jews are going to let them even release anything decent (esp since now know there will be no more in witcher series, and cyberpunk 2077 supposedly based on a story by a nigger.
Can't think of another studio that consistently put out games I was genuinely obsessed with.

it's disturbing that you know your mother's bedroom behavior so well.

I have a PG278Q, it's native 1440p and it only comes with a display port. If I get an adapter to use for my consoles, would it work and would it look blurry running 1080p games on it?

Btw, GTA V is pretty good and astonishingly low on Jewish propaganda. Other than for some pro-illegal immigration propaganda, the rest of the game is GTA's traditional "everyone is shit" balance.
GTA Online (GTA V's multiplayer) is a ton of fun if you're willing to fight through the bugs and design mistakes, and survive the initially overwhelming experience.

Always look for at least a 2 ms response time, the lower the better. You might want to look at a G-Sync monitor since you have an nVidia card. It makes a big difference.

If you are switching to an AMD card later, look at Freesync.

I remember reading that the Houser Brothers were both Libertarian but I can't seem to find the source anymore. GTA is just a satire on American life and politics, The Houser Brothers are both Brits

Seems like the general theme of the thread.

When you bust our ass through law school and start making good shekels, you can afford to pay granola-fucks somewhere in portland to do shit you don't have time for.
I always hate talking about new gear on here and try to head these off with "I know I got ripped off.." to try to disarm people, but they still need to hang out their insecurity over shekels like pants smeared with shit over a laundry line.

This is probably true, but I wanted to see if I could get away with something where I could have a 34" so I could track currency rates/stocks as well as use for games.
If I do go curved, like the specs on this if it didn't have to say fucking "predator" right at the bottom:

Acer Predator Z35 35-inch Curved Full HD (2560 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync Display, 144Hz, 2x9w speakers, HDMI & DP

Think I def need a G-sync monitor.

Why do you
type like
this, it's fucking
annoying
to read nigger

This is good to hear, looking forward to trying. Also want to catch up on games like "Crusader Kings." All the things muh friends back at home were playing while at most I'd play in an NHL tournament on an old playstation a few times a month.

If that's the worst indignity you're ever forced to suffer in your life, consider yourself lucky.

If you also want to trade your best bet would probably be get a great gaymen monitor and a couple of cheap ones just as extra screens to put windows on.

Nice non-answer you tech illiterate goy.

I'm looking at some of the prices for things ike predator. It's about the same price just to have 3 of the same. I keep reading not to even bother with 4k yet since so few games are there.
Ideally, would like to get 3 monitors the same since I'm a flightsym fag and taking pilot lessons.

I don't understand what the fuck it is with people typing like that recently. Why the spaces before sentences? They don't make the text any easier to read and if anything it's the opposite. I see it just infrequently enough that it makes me think it's just this one faggot doing it.

Who said it was the "worst indignity" of their life fuckface? It's just annoying and makes you look like a tool when you stick out like a sore thumb on an anonymous imageboard where the point is to not stick out.

Ok, fuck it, need some cheering up. Haven't had a PC in over 7 years now. When I eventually get my system going, which game would you say is the first I should play?
I was able to play and beat Witcher 3 and friends PS 4. Other than that, no games. I know this is OT, but what would you all say is the best game of last 7 years or so?

you really felt strongly enough about the comment to change IPs to defend yourself? Nigger, please…and don't tell me it's not you . I've been on this site a long time and people don't just randomly jump in like batman to defend the "honor" of a stranger from a snarky comment.
Grow up dickhead.

Ok you're just a fucking retard and you're probably spazzing out on your space bar which causes the unnecessary spaces. I get it now. You should lurk more. Doesn't matter how much time you've spent here if you haven't got half a brain to learn from it dumbass.

did you read the first post? I assume you're 16 year old, trying to status-symbol by bitching about spacing (when I copy and pasted the entire thing) to try to prove "how long you've been here."
This is how underage fags reveal themselves. You have no info to contribute, but you just try to be as pedantic as possible rather than engage in any serious discussion, and going as far as as switching IPs to try to pretend there was support for your bullshit.
Just chill out and talk about the topic. If you don't like the topic? Move on. Not hard. Nothing more irritating than underage fags trying to get into dick-measuring contests and pretending they've been here longer than they have.
Now can we get back on topic? thanks.

I need to get in on this pesudo-indented paragraph meme.

I'd just like to point out that you were the first one to bring up how long you've been using this site like it's a badge of honor. You reek of reddit.

Get it while it's hot I guess. I feel like it'll be the next "reddit spacing".

Wild guess– your first day here??

another veteran of the board I see. Hmm….retard. Amazing how things work, innit?

If you weren't a retard you'd know, even in typed formal writing, you don't indent paragraphs. The only possible reason I can see you doing it is that you're some faggot trying to ape written text indentation on a fucking imageboard. All the while spazzing out on your return key for random linebreaks.

You can't even give a reason for you doing it. At least faggots who excessively double linebreak have the excuse they're trying to make their sentences easier to read.

Asshole, a simple question– what have you added to the board and this discussion? What? Bitching about specs I copypasted about my own rig? What,–of substance– have you contributed here?
And yes, fucko, I've been on the site long enough that I know exactly what's going on when some faggot White knights you out of the blue within a few minutes for an absurd, pedantic point.
You don't like the thread, you don't like the topic, how I post, water? find a new one. No one asked YOU directly for any opinions. We get it. You didn't like the way to copy paste of my specs was pasted in the OP. Which is fine.
so know what? Ignore it and fucking leave. Filtered. I'm one with you. Can't teach someone hoe NOT to be an asshole…

Congrats, thanks for destroying the entire fucking thread such that now I need to go to tech later on and start over, when i rather get info here since I trust (MOST) people here when it comes to hardware for vidya.
One fucking sick asshole with borderline personality had to ruin the whole thing. This is why I despise people like you. Not only do you not ADD anything to the board, you actually DESTROY shit that's already up. 20:1 you are a kike. You'll deny it, but behavior like this is in your blood. People were having decent banter, a fairly good conversation about spec for monitors. And like a nigger, you just had to rush in with your autistic screeching, throw the entire thing off topic, and ruin the thread.
You're a real asset to the board.

As pretty as OLED is, lifespan is horrible. Stick with LCD till they iron out the kinks.

I love it

Are you that stupid pajeet again?