Fatal Frame

I've enjoyed what I've played of these games, it seems like they have the perfect mix of atmosphere and action (if you can call it that). The camera mechanic usually gets a little stale by the end of the games but the ghosts keep it exciting. What's the scariest one, from what I've heard either 2 or 3 is the scariest while 5 is the most tame.

Also how is 4? I've not heard too much on either side for that one

If you ever get the opportunity try playing the XBOX versions of 1 & 2, fatal mode is a whole new experience especially the final night.

Wasn't that the one that introduced buying consumables?

does the wii remake of 2 have this mode?

Nope, Fatal mode is exclusive to the XBOX releases.

What's the premise of the mode?

if you ask me, 3 is scariest and 4 is the most tame, but i never finished 4 (i didn't like it much). 5 was actually really good, like, a lot better than i expected

What was it about 4 that you didn't like?

In 1 you get a couple limitations thazt mkae fights harder like not being able to hit / charge from ghosts before you're close, they're also more aggressive and the zero shot windows are smaller, then on the final night something happens and you're gonna have a tense 30 minutes ahead of you provided you don't suck at the game.

In 2 any ghost kills you in one grab and even fully stocked up on film you're gonna have to be careful on what you use it for or you're gonna run out fast, running like a bitch isn't an option either.

Also,

Sorry for the blogpost

the controls and story just felt so weird and disconnected and janky that i lost interest almost immediately. i fully admit that i didn't give it too much of a chance, maybe only an hour, but it just did nothing at all for me in that time and i just let it go. i honestly thought maybe the translation was fucked or something when i played it three or four years ago, like, nothing made any fucking sense

What part of them? Admittedly I haven't played the wiimakes but I just ordered one, from what I've heard the camera aim horizontal axis is the nunchuk while the vertical axis is tilt controlled?

I like 3 the most, mainly because of the camera mechanics compared to 2 (not solely based on range). Otherwise, I'd rank 2 higher.

Controls are garbage. Besides being waggle, it's worse than you would expect. It relies way too heavily on aim assist so fights aren't even a challenge.

This fucking flag keeps following me DAYS after I turn it off. God dammit, leave me alone.

Did they modify the controls going from the wii version of 2 to 4 do you know?

2 Wii came out after 4, and its controls are better. I still hate it because of the waggle, but the aim assist isn't nearly as heavy.

1 is the only 60fps one, so it's best. Unplayable on PCSX2 because you can't up resolution. Best played with OG Xbox (has more features too) on CRT, but then it's up to you if it's worth spending a whole bunch to play one old game in the best way possible. 2 is good I suppose. 3 is ruined by bad design choices. 4 is shit and 5 I only played the demo of, but no doubt even more awful. 2 wiimake is god awful too.

What's wrong with 3, been tempted to pick it up but it's always expensive?

Is anyone else angry on how Nintendo is treating the series lately?

the only valid criticisms i've heard of 3 have been that the story feels kinda disconnected - you play as three different people throughout the game, and there are story threads all over the place, although i feel that they tie up pretty well. the other one i've seen is that the ending sucks, and yes it does. the game itself is my favourite FF though so i'm biased as shit, but it really is good. it's the first FF where the ghost shit starts to affect the "real" world and i love that effect, and love that it happens over time

It's a dreamhouse. Using locations from the first 2 games. You play as 3 different characters with separated attributes. You explore the same areas over and over even as the same character. Mostly to trigger whatever event makes things move along. Doors are nonsensically locked. You're remembering 3 different exploration routes. You're served with a spooby nonplay sequence between each chapter that you have to run around until you trigger the ability to start the next chapter. I beat it once. Went to take it seriously about 17 months ago, and just didn't bother playing on even though I was close to the end. Feels like a giant waste like FF4 which I have beaten twice. I have beaten FF2 wii the most and I think it's garbage. The new character models are just pretty. Still never played through the original FF2 but I would heavily encourage people to choose that instead. FF1 is just super comfy but I have yet to play much of it besides the PS2 version about 4 years ago.

You can and it works fine, also the version with the least slowdown overall right now, OG XBOX version really is the best only because it has per-pixel lighting instead of per vertex and additional content otherwise it runs slower, has more bugs and the balance is fucked for a first play-through because they touched up the "economy" (for a lack of a better word) in strange ways.

No it doesn't.

I'll have to try this out if this is what you want to imply fixes the problem. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

yes. I would have played black water if it got a physical release, but they went full jew on that.

They've been messing with it since they got a hold of it back on the Wii.

4 is a total mess. It drops the perfect control scheme of 1-3 to a standard tps scheme using waggle to look up & down and it's torture to play. It also introduced "keep a pressed to pick an object",and you can get a random jump scare AT EVERY FUCKING OBJECT IN THE GAME.

Also there's a sequence where you go rambo against one million ghosts with a flashlight.

Can slightly confirm Fatal Frame 1 might be best on PCSX2 now that it's playable. Haven't gotten to the need a rope ghost but the first ghost was definitely shootable. Just make sure you use the PCSX2 wiki for workarounds. Something to look forward to now.

This guy gets it. Remember FF has multiple endings, take 2 wiimake for example. To unlock all the content you're going to be beating the game 4 times or something in a row. I've beaten the game 3 times or so, but started over after long amounts of time swearing that "this time I'm going to get everything". Once you get to the 2nd playthrough and you just want to pickup that item you need or that sparkling object you don't quite remember if you need you will want to kill yourself. It's the epitomy of everything that killed the genre and the medium. Cancer. Nongame shit.

You need a bit more than just fast texture invalidation.
First the OGL renderer is pretty much necessary (untargettable ghosts is a depth buffer issues, DX doesn't do depth)
You also need Align Sprite Hack on or ghosts and a few fullscreen effects will have vertical lines in them
I have blending accuracy on high and I'm pretty that's not necessary
I also activate Large Framebuffer and Preload Frame Data, not sure if they do anything but I use them anyway.

Yes, good work faggot. Do you know how many years I waited to play this shit. I purchased an OG Xbox just last year and the game with it being one of the major reasons I purchased the shitbox in the first place. Now I can enjoy the game in the next week or two. Can make some money back too.

Here's a guide for emulation. Obviously by looking at the image it hasn't been updated in 1½ years. Going by it seems Fatal Frame 1 needs to be updated, but first I'll need to check it out myself. Especially the final boss, since it can lock up.

Fatal Frame was never scary tbh. It used to be one of the games that creeped the shit out of me when I was 13 along with The Suffering and Forbidden Siren, but now the horror just feels lame and forced.

To be fair to Nintendo the series has always been nichè even on PS2. You can imagine what the sales are like on a console that doesn't have much of an installbase. And Nintendo fans aren't known for liking horor games.

Fatal Frame 2 was the highpoint imo commercially and artistically.

Depends on what you find scary. Fatal Frame is psychological horror. I work in a hospital, dead people and blood doesn't do shit for me. But twin child murdering cultists do. You have to get into the story I guess.

that shrine maiden loli in 5 was best girl

I'm not afraid of gore either, but I think the cinematography of Fatal Frame is lame. The ghosts don't feel solid. I fear the supernatural, but cultist stories don't scare me.

Bump

4 I never played.
5 was an abomination, not scary, too many resources, shit controls and censorship on top. Because human sacrifice is fine, but a gravure idol shot is too much, so let's change her outfit and make the scene look stupid as a result.
Tall lady was the only good thing I remember.

Tall lady was spooky. Say what you will about 5 but I enjoyed the atmosphere, especially the security camera chapter

If I use a resolution of 3x or more I get this effect. Do you have this problem, too? I haven't used a PS2 emulator in over two years, but I grabbed the latest git.

AMD GPU?

Yeah. Last time I used PCSX2 I was using an Nvidia card.
Between making that post and now I've noticed that the emulator's OpenGL and AMD don't really agree with each other. AMD said the fix is "soon", whenever they decide to actually make it public. Last post was in January this year.

Well if you really wanna play anyway you can use the old workaround, play with DX11 and use F9 to switch to SW mode if ghost aren't targettable then press it once more to go back to HW once they are, it's not ideal but you don't have to do it more than a handful of times during the whole game.

If I set it to 2x internal it looks fine. I'm not actually looking to play, I just wanted to see how it emulated in hardware mode since it's now possible. A lot of games work now compared to the last time I tried, like Haunting Ground if you use OpenGL.

bumping this plane

Doesn't the PS2 versions also have fatal mode?

It has Nightmare but not Fatal