Worst leveling system in video game?

I'd like to nominate Dark Souls for making me lose all my experience and humanity for dying twice.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/i1ec6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There you go. Hope I brightened up your day, friend :^)

that's an offtopic post retard

Oh look its this thread again

Why am I not allowed to criticize dark souls?

Dark souls has a lot of problems but that is not one of them. It is a serious problem in 2, but soul memory shot that game to hell.

Oblivion, because: 1) level scaling, and 2) the optimal way to play is to have one major skill for each attribute that you won't use during normal play, so you can perfectly time your level-ups and therefore get the highest attribute modifiers; you could play the intended way, where your major skills are the ones that you actually plan on using, but it's less beneficial, and if you're rolling a thief or other non-combat-focused character, the level scaling will fucking destroy you.
Morrowind had the second problem, too. Bethesda's solution in Skyrim was to axe everything and just switch to a perk system with no attributes, because they're fucking retarded.

Even if you go full combat and min-max your stats, you will still reach a point where the level scaling in Oblivion makes everything a gigantic damage sponge. Skyrim's system is better in every way.

The end result in Skyrim is better, because they don't have a backwards progression system. But the way they got there was heavy-handed and stupid.
They could have simply given out a fixed number of attribute points every time you level up, and that would have fixed the problem. Or they could have made all skills contribute to leveling (which Skyrim did). Or they could have done both of those.
Completely axing attributes, and making perks necessary in order to actually improve a skill (i.e., the generic perks like, "Do more damage with swords") was not the way they should have done it. It's the BioWare approach: "Hey, this system needs work, but we're lazy, so instead let's gut it so much that it can't have any real effects on the player, positive or negative."
Shameful.

This gets my vote. Level scaling is the laziest way to do it, and also the worse.

I wouldn't mind that either, but I think the vanilla perk system is far more interesting than what we have in Morrowind or Oblivion where there's zero interesting effects, and damage/etc is just tied to stats in a really boring way.

And that's all before we even consider the excellent perk mods in Skyrim that take it to another level. There's nothing like that for Morrowind or Oblivion.

Part of this is due to the fact that they went with the odd decision to not let combat skills past 100 affect the damage you do. I can not wrap my head around why they would do this. Many enchanted items become literally worthless because they literally don't do anything past a certain point.

Yeah, but it was specifically level scaling combined with the fact that the best way to level was to grind skills that you wouldn't use during normal gameplay.

Oblivion had perks, they were just used much more sparingly. I believe each skill got one at every increment of 25.
Personally, my ideal leveling system would be one with fixed/semi-fixed attributes (a la Fallout), improve-with-use skills (a la The Elder Scrolls), and skill-specific perks that automatically unlock when that skill reaches certain thresholds–preferably with a few that force you to choose between two or more perks, and whose choice might even influence what perks are available in the future.

Huh, I never knew that. I don't think I played Oblivion enough to get any of my skills past 100.

I didn't know that we had mainstream reviewers in Holla Forums

At least you know how to make a good dubs thread

This entire thread was just baiting for Oblivion.

The only ones that can be boosted past 100 are acrobatics and athletics. Most attributes also continue to provide benefit except for weapon damage bonuses from strength or dexterity.

Best of all is alchemy fortification is always worthless, because the game only uses the base value. The one exception is in that cheat DLC thing.

that is easily fixed if you dont suck

Nice digits.

Christ, what a waste, the two shitty passive meme skills are the ones without a cap. Was Bethesda worried people were going to struggle to gain XP or something?

You aren't wrong.

Nice trips dude

You know, just because the OP wasn't well-thought-out doesn't mean the thread is a total loss. There's no need for dubsposting.

It's the biggest one for me.

Well excuse me for being a casual. I'm not autistic enough for hardcore games it seems.

Soon as you start focusing on "quality threads" is the very second your whole board jumps the shark, nevermind the meandering autism about template threads because I can't actually scrounge up much if any information on Rugga from Holla Forums itself besides "he posted template threads he's bad" (still no written explanation of what a template thread is in the rules Mark, fucking get on it so posters and mods have a metric of what is and is not template because all the generals still qualify as template if I take those Rugga screencaps at face-value)

Sage for meta

Top kek

checked

EQ1 when you could de-level from max to

In old days you'd lose 10% of your total XP for dying once. That's a lot more than what you lose in dark souls from clearing the enemies like once. Also, if you need to grind to beat dark souls, you probably suck at the game. Basically the gitgud meme still rings true.

Sometimes I wonder how many "Eaten by a grue." threads we'd have had if we had the internet and autism back when Zork was new.

So you love being punished? Are you like one of those masochist cucks? Wow, I know it's 2017 and everything, but please don't push your nasty fetishes into mass media.

Why are you even on this board?

On the contrary, DS is quite easy that's why you are not being taken seriously

Damn I didn't even see this.
Bait thread confirmed.

You are right, there is discussion to be had about the subject but OP dropped the ball pretty bad.

Let's start over
Why is DS2 weapon upgrading so fucking shit, I mean at the beginning you are pretty limited in weapons selection and are forced to upgrade a weapon that you might not like and also what's up whit the forge upgrade being in the lost bastille? By the time you reach that place you are almost at the end

Wow, it truly is underage faggot land around here.

The game isn't hard you're just bad at it, what's so difficult to understand?

Try again, kid.

That's a game mechanic you faggot. Just kill more shit and you'll get it back.

He's just baiting. I use to find the people shitting up this board annoying, but after the thread where an OP said "Don't find games fun, only thing I can do to enjoy myself is fishing for (you)'s on 8ch." now they're just sad.

If you're so concerned with levels go farm easier enemies.

wew

Nigger the Bastille is right after the very first boss of the game, what are you talking about?

Shit I made a mistake. What's the name of the lava castle?

Iron Keep

Solved.

This and FF8

Is it 2011/12 again?
OK
Go back to Skyrim you idiotic casual

But to answer the question FFX because of the shitty layout and especially because of key spheres.

I kek'd. If only all the bait slipped in cheeky stuff like this.

The level scaling in itself wasn't so bad, but the EQUIPMENT ALSO SCALING was absolutely fucking retarded. Nothing was more immersion breaking than walking into a bandit keep and see them in full Daedra armor.

L.E.L.

Why do you bite?

Enemies automagically changing was retarded. Enemies getting thousands of hitpoints was retarded. Quest rewards automagically changing power levels was retarded. If enemies had to automagically change, non-enemies not automagically changing with them to match was retarded.

Why are you playing the original version? The devs realized it was retarded, in Scholar of the First Sin the Dull Ember is right at the start of the Bastille, no way to miss it.

you should literally stop saying literally because you literally sound like a literal 15-year-old tumblr girl
this situation is literally exactly the same as the girls who would literally say like every other word, except literally worse

TOP KEK

I thought you really meant the leveling system and not the "experience" system per se, you know, the whole "buy attribute points with EXP at your leisure" and not the death mechanics.

Fuck off, weeb.

But it does have an easy mode, it's called summoning.

Skyrim is an RPG and a good game.

pretty much, although you don't get that luxury with fighting The Nameless King.

Holla Forums is complete cancer and never makes anything of value. Fuck off.

Of course an autistic hothead like a Holla Forumsirgin wouldn't know the value of letting loose and actually having fun. Is my bait le weak? You almost dubsed real good.

Fuck off Holla Forums. You suck.

Check my dubs though

You haven't been good since the dark knight rises and you can't into dubs.

We have the objectively best waifus tho.

no

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT JENNY

Hopefully your pic isn't one of them,she looks like a horse.

You disgust me. Leave this site.

Jenny is love
Death to all who don't embrace Jenny

Don't, fam.

This is the age of Jenny. Embrace christian values and let go of your badly scribbled cartoon sluts.

We just don't want to bump a shitty thread, you're the redditard that's taking the sages as a downvote.
Kill yourself.

Have you considered gitting gud?

because retards on this board need to justify their existence somehow. If the game is mediocre or worse, it really gets their rocks off, you know?

Nameless King is a purely optional boss in a hard to reach area (which nearly everyone cheated to find and do anyway). It makes sense for it not to have summons.

cant even get dubs

It's not annoying
It's fun
Why the fuck are you talking about customization, it's not Overwatch ffs

You're probably a spoiled kid who can't handle anything that's not given to you on a silver plate.

Harder games (implying Dark Souls are even hard) are waaaaaaaaay more fun than casual games man, everybody know that, and I can't believe I'm actually explaining it to somebody here. That's why we all fucking hate AAA games, they're NOT fun nor enjoyable because they treat you like a retard who can't handle the slightest bit of reflection.

11/222, only good part was you got double dubs.

As a reminder, this isn't a bait thread, people. DS' leveling system is indeed objectively shit. I mean, if the game punishes you for trying to progress, then why put progression system at all? Why not just character customization menu at the beginning? Just because gooks are obsessed with their JRPG games doesn't mean that we have to put up to this badly implemented leveling shit. It's a stupid game design, wake up sheeple.

READ IT AND WEEP BOYS
archive.is/i1ec6

(checked)
and kek'd

You're a kind of retarded, but at least you're nice enough to archive my thread.

boo hoo you lost a bunch of souls and humanity that can easily be recovered to the original number if you actually learn how to fight the enemies

Thats not the leveling system, that is just the experience system. Its like complaining about losing your progress after dying because you didn't save in hours.

A game with an actually shit leveling system is Oblivion. Morrowind didn't have a good system in the first place but Oblivion took that and fucked it up even more.

As for the game that I promised, it's developed at a snail pace, but still going. You'll enjoy it bro.

Contradictory.

Are you blind?
Oh the ironing.
Only to catalog your complete lunacy without the existence of a functioning 8ch archive.

And it looks like shit, Mr. Hepler.

Pic related is your favorite RPG, I take it?