Good JRPGs Thread

Just beat pic related, thought it was pretty good. Does Holla Forums have any recommendations for games that have similarly epic storys? Ideally it is something that is either on the DS, GBA, or SNES since it was nice to be able to play FF7 on the bus (Yes, i played it on android and it was awful). Turn based combat is also a must due to touch controls, preferably like Earthbound or Pokemon where there isn't constant pressure and you can plan better. I have already played FF4,6,7, and am currently playing through 15. I have played all the mother games and loved them, all of the Mario and Luigi games, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and X, Chrono Trigger, and probably a few others i am forgetting. What do you guys have for me?

Other urls found in this thread:

ngemu.com/threads/wild-arms-original-crashing-after-adlehyde-demon-invasion-ends.170513/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How much experience with JRPGs do you have, and are you emulating or looking for native mobile port shit?

I have a decent amount of experience, I tend to stray away from the really "Japanese" ones like Persona and Neptunia but I would say on a scale of 1-10 i would be a 6. And really either one works, I can only really emulate up to snes, maybe psx if the game isn't polygon heavy.

Xenogears.

Only part of the game I felt was lacking was the 3rd disc.
The dual party Septh battle really got my mind racing, only to see I could easily do it with one team. His final form was also easy.

4,5,6,7,9,10/10-2 if you don't give a shit about story and care about gameplay
II,Nocturne,DDS/DDS2, SJ. SMT4 and final too
All of them are good. Skip anything after super paper mario for paper mario.

Pic unrelated, i assume?

Well, there's plenty of stuff to look into with the SNES/SFC, especially since it had such a large fan-translation scene. I can list some possibilities off for you, but it might take some time. The PS1 also has a pretty solid amount too (given Nintendo pissed off various companies that had been developing JRPGs for them prior, like Square and Capcom), but if you're just wanting turn-based, that cuts it down some (and honestly, a PSP with CFW could probably serve you better, being able to toss various emulators on it and having native PS1 capabilities; you'd be able to play real-time combat on there as well, like Tales of Phantasia PS1 and Tales of Eternia, which I'd recommend a lot).

Anyhow, just how grand do you care for a story to be? Just asking since there's some on the simpler end of stories that are still really damn good games all around.

""""""""""time travel"""""""""""""

I'll see how well that emulates, I have been on the edge of getting a PSP for solely this purpose for a while now. Thank you.

Thats funny, half of those SMT games I have never even heard of. I'll check out SJ and possibly 4 once OTPless A9LH gets released. Thank you.
(Checked)
I actually vaguely Remember that game coming out, hell, i may even already have it on my R4, Thanks

Yeah, I really want a PSP but all of the faggots in my area are trying to sell them upwards of $100 canuckbucks. As for the story, it doesn't have to be Xenoblade or FF7 tier but something that will at least keep me engaged. FF15's story a shit

If you like 7, give 10 a spin. Most people I know who liked one liked the other.

Well, I've certainly found Wild Arms series to be pretty interesting and good on the whole (though some fans seem to disregard anything after WA3, or ACF, depending on how they feel about the remake). They can take a little while to get going though (namely because in WA1, 2, 3, and ACF, the three main characters, or four for WA3, all have a prologue to introduce you to them on their own). Both Wild Arms 1 and 2 are on the PS1, with WA1 using a sprited world and low poly 3D in combat, while WA2 opts for sprites-on-low-poly world and better looking low poly combat. Might be worth seeing if you can handle playing those. Wild Arms 3 is probably my favorite along with WA2, but I kind of doubt your phone can handle PS2 (handle well, at least; I hear Square tried porting DQVIII onto modern phones and it didn't turn out well).

A few years back they were about $100 new for 3000 models here in the states, and were cheaper if you went used as well (local prices were like $60 for 1000s, $70 for 2000s, and $80 for 3000s). Memory cards were also like $20 for a 32 GB card. Anyhow, I suppose I don't like to buy preowned systems online myself (who knows how much life they have left in them), but if you can't find any all that cheap locally, maybe see if there's any Amazon of ebay sellers that will ship from US to Canada?

Chrono Trigger. I played this and FF7 within a year of each other for the first time. Loved both, but felt CT was a bit better. No grinding and it's on the short end of RPGs (20ish hours max), so it'll go fast.

He already said he's played Chrono Trigger. Still, great game regardless. Been replaying the DS version myself as pre-bed vidya lately.

My man, this is the jackpot. Thank you so much.

As for the PSP, I agree that used online is usually very hit or miss but we are at the stage where a new one is beginning to transition from old stock to a collectors item, I never thought to check Amazon though. Thanks man!

Also, every fucking thread I create gets blessed by KEK!

Will the wildarms123fag ever fucking so away?

Yeah, that was an exceptional game though I cant imagine playing it before bed, for a ds game, save points were pretty sparse.

Fuck, I didn't see that OP played it already. FF5 is amazing gameplay-wise, but the story is lighter than the other SNES titles. Enough to get you through, but a little skimpier than 4. Golden Sun 1&2 on the GBA are very basic JRPGs, but they feel very grandiose with the music and adventuring. Loved them as a kid, but they might be way to mash A to win easy. You can always give them a shot OP, since the GBA emulates really well. Definitely worth getting a PSP to emulate, since that's how I've been playing everything.

You should give Dragon Quest a go, specially 5; from the ones I played (1~6) it's the one with the best story. But all of them are worth it for the game itself and the comfiness

Go play the original 1,2,3 for the nes and cry like a bitch cause you will suck at video games.
And you are playing on a tablet? fucking kill yourself kid.

Don't sweat it. I have considered 5 but everyone I know who has played it says all it does is make them want to play 4 or 6 again. I'll still give it a shot though. Was the Golden sun on DS any good?

The only problem I have with the DQ games is that the setting seems to always be the same but i will give 5 a try and hope that it is good.

You truly are a prophet

Do note: Wild Arms isn't hard wild west. The games use a mixture of fantasy/supernatural, sci-fi, and western, the ratio of each varying by the game. Or example, Wild Arms 3 is the farthest on the western end, while Wild Arms 4 is about as far as the sci-fi goes (to the point it really doesn't feel all that western). The settings also vary from wilderness, to frontier, to outright desert.

Would you rather people keep games/series they like to themselves and never bring them up? At the very least I try to fit them in where it feels appropriate to do so (like JRPG threads) since the series sadly doesn't warrant creating individual threads for at this point (which would just sit in the catalog and rot with maybe ten posts at best).

Admittedly I've been doing a NG+ run so it's not like battles take long. Save points haven't really been a concern like this (especially since you can save anytime on the overworld too), and dungeons don't really overstay their time (aside from Lost Sanctum's constant back and forth, but that's optional). Still, I do wish some games would opt for something like Tales of Eternia, which had a "Save anywhere, load here" system that makes the game very portable/bed friendly (and it in face saw a PSP port, which NA never got either due to prior low sales on the PS1 or SCEA's ruling on ports at the time; admittedly the PSP has sleep mode anyhow though).

I need your help, I am currently playing Wild Arms 1 on the Playstation Emulator, and after the demon battle in adlehyde where she cuts her hair and the king dies, my game crashes.

Much like what happens here

ngemu.com/threads/wild-arms-original-crashing-after-adlehyde-demon-invasion-ends.170513/

How do I fix this so I can play?

Fuck no. Imagine a sequel that takes every problem previous games had, magnifies them, and adds problems the others never had, all while ruining the good things the others had going for them. One of the most disappointing sequels I've ever gotten, couldn't even finish it.

5 is tied with 7 for me. I loved the job system of the tactics spinoffs, so that may be why I favor it so heavily. You either love playing with it, or feel like it's a chore to build up the party. 4 and 6 have classes more set in stone, so it takes some of the burden of you to make everyone strong enough. Just leveling and good strategy. 5 trades safety in always having the class you need for the freedom of doing shit your way.

I'm sorry, I've not played it with an emulator (I have a physical copy and have also played it as an eboot via PSP), but it's an issue I ought to look into for helping anons in the future. What emulator (name and version) have you been using, and have you tried another (assuming you can port save files back and forth)? Also, have you tried asking in an emulation thread on the matter?

I'll try to look into it more and see if I can find any possible solutions.

Dark Dawn is, well, it's not exactly a bad JRPG (it's rather average, but there's far worse, even on the DS itself), but it's not a good Golden Sun game if you ask me. A number of changes were made that seemed as if done to intentionally piss off prior fans (foremost being numerous points of no return, when the GBA ones only had them at the final bosses), and combined with the bulk of the game being a fetch quest to fix what Garet's son Tyrone stole and broke, Sveta hogging pretty much any character development (not that Golden Sun is especially big on character development), an entire furfag empire rising up in the thirty years between games, cliffhanger ending with no sequel in sight, and STILL not getting to fight Alex, there's a reason it doesn't have all that many fans. I was a bit neutral to it when I played it, but looking back on it after beating it, it's disappointing and rife with issues that don't leave me wanting to ever give it a replay (meanwhile GS1 and 2 are some of my standbys for travel/sick day vidya), and was a game I didn't mind trading in (I usually keep what games I like) to get something else for. I seriously wonder if Camelot even wanted to make another Golden Sun (considering how they're pretty much just Mario sports games since coming to Nintendo, Golden Sun trilogy aside) and only made Dark Dawn because fans kept pestering Nintendo for more, with the game's issues being done to annoy prior fans into not asking for more (and here we are like six years later and no GS4 in sight).

Since someone already recommended the Shin Megami Tensei franchise I will throw in my reccomendation of Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. It doesn't have the best reputation because it's known as the game that killed it's respective franchise, but I have not played the other entries and this game is one of the most challenging JRPG's that I have been able to find. The story is fairly simple but it knows how to hit the right chords and the combat remains interesting and tactical the whole way through.

Eventually I will get around to playing the rest of the BoF games but I feel like this is a solid title on it's own. This is however on the PS2 only so it might be unavailable for you to emulate if android is your only option.

Everything I hear about Dragon quarter (from people who actually played the game) is pretty good. I feel it wouldn't have "killed" the franchise if it was released as a spin-off. Really need to play it sometime, maybe after I finish 4 in japanese cause I'm a huge weeb and muh censored scenes

Bit sad that there's never been a restoration effort for Breath of Fire IV, though I suppose that might require some amount of fan translation as well for scenes entirely cut. Unfortunately, even lurking threads years back on halfchan, the fan base there at the time seemed pretty split as to whether the censorship of the risqué scenes (people at least seemed united in feeling the decapitation being removed was ridiculous) was bad or good, with those arguing that it was good claiming that the scenes "added nothing to the game" anyhow, or outright made it more "palatable" to them as westerners. I expect it might have been like that on other sites as well, though by that point I'd pretty much stopped using non-imageboard discussion formats entirely, so I can't say for sure..

Just strikes me that a fanbase being divided like that on the issue might be the reason a restoration has apparently never been done. Might also be a factor in why some Working Designs handled games haven't seen retranslations either, as despite people growing more aware of their problems, they've still had fans adamant about how great their English scripts were (and even on halfchan I used to see people claim that WD's rewrites actually made "otherwise bland and boring" JRPGs enjoyable).

Shame that Capcom has relegated Breath of Fire to mobile shit now, with Square following suite with Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile (though depending on who one asks, that might not be much of a loss depending on how they feel about Tri-Ace's stuff) and Sony doing similar with Wild Arms and Arc the Lad now. The latter feels the most annoying to me, not just because of my liking for Wild Arms, but because Sony owns both series and their own line of systems, yet has opted to send both to mobile hell as if their own classic series are no longer worth putting on the systems they make.

If you haven't heard yet (somehow), make sure to play Breath of Fire II with the fan retranslation patch.

Legend of Legaia was pretty cool.
Interesting battle system,
kinda a fighting/turn based RPG hybrid, where battles are turn based, but you do certain attacks like a high punch, low punch, and through mixing up your attacks, you learn combos and all that.

Has anyone here played the re-translation of Ar Tonelico 2?

Sorry for the late reply, I used PCSX and ePSXe and both crash at the same time, I used all kinds off different roms and all crashed at the same spot.

Played both on Windows and Android

the suikoden series is pretty good

Which version of PCSX though? Was doing some searching around and someone in a forum thread made last year (as compared to, say, 2009, where things might be outdated) was specifying to try PCSX ReArmed. No response from the OP though as to if that helped him or not.

I can try that version, hopefully

I recently replayed the gba golden sun games back to back and I have to say 2 felt really way too long. And the encounter rate (even with Avoid on) didn't make it any better.

Do you remember the two towers in 5? The tower where you had to use a physical party and the tower where you had to use a magical party? I never finished 5 (took a break from it and never came back and starting over felt like a pain) but I remember those towers clearly because I fucking made a mistake and mixed the towers and shoved the mages in the physical tower and vice-versa. It was hell. Had to turn them into berserkers to have a chance.

If that doesn't work, maybe try asking in the share thread if someone who has emulated it all the way through and found it to work whether they could upload the working ISO and post what emulator/settings they were using?

Yeah, it's pretty long, but it's one of those games I actually enjoy doing multiple partial runs. Just going through the dungeons while listening to the music is enough for me, but it does gets old since there's not much going on, plot or gameplay. I usually stop at Jupiter Lighthouse since I never feel like connecting data.

I remember those fucking towers. I was lucky enough to make a save right before, so I could play around with it. That wizard was the worst fight in the game. The final boss was tougher, but more fair. Shame you had to stop, it was right near the end, but that was the only bullshit part of the game.

Back when I was first playing through Golden Sun, I had the idea to make use of a friend's link cable and GBA (the password system is nice as far as options go, but fuck how long that gets if you want to transfer everything), started GS2 with the data transfer, saved as soon as I could, and then copied that file into all three save slots. Now I always keep Save 3 as a backup to copy over from if I ever want to replay it, and I never have to do the data transfer or sit through that long ass exposition between Alex and Kraden the game opens with again.

Yeah, the option to use a password is nice, but it had that shitty tier system that ruined it. Can't blame you on the talking, I think someone looked it up and the game's script is actually longer than MGS2.

I added them after and just said "too" because they're worth a playthrough if you're hungry for SMT. They don't compare to the other ones, but still fun.

Get fucked.

Well, it is a JRPG, so I'd expect the script to at least be sort of long anyhow, between main plot, potential sidequests, and NPC dialogue. It wouldn't surprise me if it was longer than MGS2's script, despite how yes/no choices aside (and a certain "why?"), Isaac doesn't have lines in the first game, and Felix doesn't have them in the TLA, reducing babble some. Though NoA seems to have taken liberties with the English script that may have made them wordier (and unfortunately, aside from "tfw no GS4", the only route for discussion of the series these days seems to be ranting about the verbosity and NoA).

It's me again, still crashed at the scene, fuck my life thats 10 times I replayed the begining

Geez. And you say you've tried downloaded ISOs from a lot of different places?

Try FFV if you liked 4 and 5. 7 was shit and you know it, the whole series tanked after 6. Oh, and play FFT if you have any self respect at all. :^)

Yeah, the text boxes were small, so the kanji must've fit better. I just remember some parts of the game where they didn't shut up, like when you captured the pirates. I should look up the word count of other rpgs to compare. From the screenshots passed around, I think NoA just made the characters sound out of place and idiotic. That part when you finally got to Atlantis and Kraden blew off the king was a big fuck up. Honestly, there's not much to say. GS1&2 wrapped up the series for the most part, while DD just retconned and messed up just about everything. Camelot would have their work cut out for them. I get why people are mad about NoA, I'd want them out on the streets if I cared about FE.

Yeah man, I just wanna play me some Wild Arms 1 :(

Have you tried asking in an emulation thread as to the issue yet? Strikes me that that might be the easiest way to perhaps find some active input, though with that crash happening a fair ways into the game, it's probably not the easiest thing for someone to replicate compared to a more immediate error.

When I was making those images there, I'd asked around and heard that they all emulated well enough (I was debating on including a "methods of playing" section) so I'd assume someone out there's gotten them working somehow. If not though, do you by any chance have a PS3 or Vita? The first game is on both the NA and PAL PSNs and goes on sale somewhat frequently, being a Sony held title (lowest I've seen it down to was $.99, both $2-3 seems more common). Wild Arms 2 is also available on the NA PSN (PAL got fucked out of the original PS1 release and then got fucked out of a digital rerelease); it gets into flash sales every so often as well, albeit with less frequency (perhaps due to critics at the time it first came out here being more critical of it than WA1). Of course, if you had access to a CFW PSP, an eboot of it should work just fine, that's how I played both of them and had no issues. Anyhow, I assume you're probably wanting to stick with the emulator if you can get it to work (retaining progress and all that), but figured I might list off some potential backup ideas. It's a pretty damn enjoyable game in my opinion, so if it's this prone to causing emulation problems, that's sad.

Kanji does indeed help in saving on character space (albeit it strikes me as being an annoyance both for westerners learning Japanese and native Japanese as well in both how fucking many there are and trying to keep track of what they actually represents), but I'm honestly not sure how much Kanji Golden Sun would have actually used. I mean, I suppose the games would be more complicated than, say, Dragon Quest or Pokemon, but they're clearly rated E in the west, and I would assume that the target audience in Japan would still be kids. I'd think they'd be more Hiragana and katakana heavy.

By the screenshots I've saw, Golden Sun definitely doesn't use much kanji at all. The english script really is bloated to hell and back

I do not have PS3 or Vita sadly, when that section comes up for me is just says Emulator error code and closes, Ill try different isos or bins i guess. Feels bad

Honestly, that's something I'd like to see Mato give some solid analysis on, the way he's done ongoing comparisons with the Japanese and English scripts of other particular games. Though, he might be busy with actual translation work these days (though he apparently found time to do both a livestreamed script comparison and a localization review for Breath of Fire II recently); Legends of Localization doesn't update too often.

Again, maybe try asking in a share thread or emulation thread if anyone has fully working (as in, they've actually played it start to finish and didn't delete the game afterward) game files for it they can dump, as well as perhaps emulator settings that they used. I think I've also heard that WA2 has some sort of copy protection, so if you're aiming to emulate that as well, you might need to look into how to get around that. Again, I'm sorry I have no personal experiences in trying to emulate them myself (I don't really trust my toaster to handle vidya well), so all I can offer is what I can find doing google searches.

What's the error code you get anyhow? Does it give something specific or is just a broad "something fucked up"?

Stop fucking using PCSXR, use epsxe, psxfin, or Retroarch Mednafen.

With Mednafen HW on retroarch you can now increase internal resolution, you won't need anything else

I have definitely played through Wild Arms several times using PSXF v1.13. It could be an audio problem that can be bypassed changing settings. That scene uses higher quality audio instead of the regular midi instruments but so does the opening.

Yaas!

Dragon Quarter is easily on par with Shadow of the Colossus or anything else you would put at the pinnacle of atmospheric story telling.

The battle system is unique and interesting. The game is challenging to learn but definitely rewards player experience which seems to be a rarity.

I wouldn't say it's the most fun game but it's certainly one of the most memorable.