What's it called when people present something completely in line with the status quo but present it in a contrarian way

What's it called when people present something completely in line with the status quo but present it in a contrarian way

I see it so often in both conservative and liberal media
Like:

It's as if people only respond to something they think is pushing the envelope so these media people create this fictional bubble which is made of the listener and like 20 other people and you have to bravely critique the status quo except the reality is totally the opposite

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect
rollingstone.com/culture/news/heil-hipster-the-young-neo-nazis-trying-to-put-a-stylish-face-on-hate-20140623)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectacle_(critical_theory)
youtube.com/watch?v=JeSx0g-PnaE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Spuriousness?

Spin?

Controlled oposition?
Hegemony?

Insincere populism.

This is really common. I don't know what to call it, or if it has a name yet.

contrary conformism
baited populism / populist bait

False contrarianism? Has op hit on something that doesn't have a proper name yet?

confirmation bias? virtue signalling?

Both of those examples are a kind of misdirection, an attempt to redefine the populist narrative into something that doesn't harm the status quo. A kind of propaganda.

Being a liberal.

Quick OP! Write a book about this and go down in history/a sociology textbook!

Actually, I thought of a term for it.

Faux-populism. Trying to use populist rhetoric to support the status quo.

Bravery Debates

Controlled Opposition.

I'd say this also refers to those outside the status quo in general terms but inside it in actual terms. That's a shit explanation, but think of US lolberts, they're certainly out of the mainstream when they start talking about abolishing the minimum wage and removing the age of consent or whatever, but at the end of they day what they want is the same liberal capitalism. In many ways, the alt-right is like this in that they want to keep the system in place but without joos or darks.

They might in fact believe that it is contrarian.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect

It's called Holla Forums OP

Hipsterism matches your description perfectly tbh:

So…maybe being hipsterism or being a hipster to use cliché terms? idk (article isn't that good but I'm posting the sourcerollingstone.com/culture/news/heil-hipster-the-young-neo-nazis-trying-to-put-a-stylish-face-on-hate-20140623)

Extremists always rise to the top. That's why Islamic terrorist refugees rape boys.

it's called "protofascism" :^)

nah but seriousy,
read up, comrade
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectacle_(critical_theory)

*looks left, looks right*
Psst, hey you, yeah, you. Come with me. I want to tell you something.
*looks left, right, again, excited, sweating a bit*
Maybe not here. Let's go…
*looks around again*
Okay, okay. I figured you're a smart kid. Not like the others. So…
*quick glance over shoulder*
Most people aren't ready to hear this. But I'm telling you like it really is. I trust you that you understand that…
*you expected another over-the-shoulder glance here, but I'm looking straight at ya*
…this is just between you and me.
*puts mouth right next to your ear*

Rich people are cool.

Can you believe it? But it's true! You know there are powerful people, not the well-known tycoons in the glass towers you are thinking about, but those who are controlling them, those who are really pulling the strings behind the scenes. And these guys don't want you to hear this truth. The puppet masters. And nobody expects them to be it, and that's exactly why they are so dangerous. Like, homeless people. Yeah.

Many people don't have minds strong enough to accept that. Like my therapist. He says I have Porkholm Syndrome.

free capitalist radio is a fucking perfect example of this

Reverse psychology, which means basically that Alice reacts in a contrarian way when Bob attempts to persuade her toward a viewpoint. However, the whole time Bob was "playing the Devil's advocate" and his "sugarcoating" was in fact disingenuous.

South Park.

Recuperation

It would benefit Holla Forums to learn more about the Situationists and maybe even left-communism. Might solidify the board's ideology into being something more than "Not SJWs, not Stalinists".

Bravery debates, as says.

Society of the Spectacle is great but pretty dated.
This movie is awesome and should be mandatory viewing for any leftist.

youtube.com/watch?v=JeSx0g-PnaE

I know what you're talking about but I can't find the word.

Faux-edge
Faux-Fringe
Faux-Defiance
Controlled-opposition

That sounds about right.