Collector Editions

Lets have a thread about Collector's Editions, and the stupid shit so often contained within.

Some points for discussion:
Has there been a single CE released within the last 10 years that was actually worth the release day asking price?
Which is worse - a digital download code for a game's full OST, or a physical CD with just a sampler OST on it?
Does anyone actually give a shit about steelbook cases?
Which game has had the best collector's edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication,
store.na.square-enix.com/product/435171/nier-automata-black-box-edition-ps4
store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/435106/nier-automata-black-box-edition-ps4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Collector's Edtions that don't come with the game are pretty gay. Doesn't help that normalfags will still buy and make it a standard, and only realize 5-10 years later that they were ripped off.

How many have done this? I know Battlefield 1 did, and I'm pretty sure others have as well but their names escape me.

I wanna say the new Mass Effect is going to pull this, but I might be thinking of another game.

None yet, Battlefield is the first to do so.

Well Ubisoft is no stranger to that stupid shit, what with their multiple special editions for a single game.

No Wolfenstein pulled the same shit earlier.

if some faggot posts happy merchant then I fucking called it

I'm pretty sure Dark Souls 3 did it.

Can we also talk about actual good collector's editions? The CE of Stranger of Thigh City was pretty darn good… Beautiful art book, poster, and lots of other stuff in a nice box.

Too bad it was from NISA

A CD with a sampler, at least the download has the whole OST

Not gonna lie, I got some of the COD special editions because the NVGs looked cool, and so did the remote control car with the camera. In retrospect I probably could have bought better NVGs and a better game for the same price, but whatever.

i got the $100 KH 2.5 collectors edition because im a dumb ass.

may be i get the last laugh because they go for $200- 500 on ebay

I ended up preordering the Dishonored 2 CE. Although it was inexpensive, it was a real waste of space, to be honest. Ended up selling most of its components excluding the ring and the game, since those were small and I can store them easily.

GTA 4 had shit that you could use

Why the fuck would anyone buy a game without the actual fucking game?

the craziest collectors edition was grid 2 it costs around $200,000

it was the game and it came with a car.

The only collector's edition thing I've actually wanted was the Majora's Mask (New) 3DS and the Majora's Mask 3D Collector's Edition that came with a pin, an artbook, and a metal case. A poster too I think. But the preorders sold out in like 5 fucking minutes. I guess the 3DS is still available but at this point I'd rather just save my money and get a Switch.

Saints row 3 had a million dollar edition.

No, that was Saints Row IV.

It was a prank

I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy the Halo Reach collector's edition and still look at the statue and journals to this day.

Bought shantae risky edition, at $30, it has the cd music, but the backers will have extra tracks

why did i buy this fucking edition

I don't buy collector's editions because most of them aren't worth it. I do like seeing them put documentaries, artbooks and OSTs in them, but they seem to do it for games that I don't care much about. I wish we could get more developer commentaries and behind the scenes stuff. Sometimes I come across a game that is so well made that I want to find out more about it's development, only to find only bits and pieces of commentary. I would really like proper documentation, what was the reason for this or that, why something got cut, etc.

high intensity anger

Sure DNF ended up being a disaster but I still think this stuff was pretty cool.

It still hurts

>the figure that comes with it has vulva outline on her panties, and they're high quality molded panties

Are you really that guy? You still have that figure? Also LGR found a shelf full of these at good will for 5 $ a pop, I think.

I bought that myself in a weak moment of my life. It is a pretty artbook and the box itself lookd nice
I got really surprised with the panties on the figure and the detail, when i knew other stuff in the game was cencored (bought it before knowing that)

Pics or it didnt happen

Is that car even street legal?

I bought The Last Guardian Collector's Edition. It's pretty nice.

I still use that key fob to this day.

It's a painted BAC mono, so yes. The car is street legal, at least it is in burgerstain and britain that i know of t. fan of the body type who owns the car, not the grid version

Fam, you are the laugh. You bought a children's game CE for 100 bucks.

While I can see a lot of modern games come with steelbook cases, I do know that the Oregon Trail 3rd edition came in a wooden box. Not sure how many other collectors editions have done that before.

Is it melting or doing the "jumping to the side bullet time pose"?

The coin bank that came with SF X Tekken's Special Edition was pretty nice. From the pictures I thought it was going to be cardboard that would disintegrate in no time, but it was actually pretty sturdy plastic.

And the whole thing cost about 10 eurobucks, so I can't complain. Well, I could complain about the game.

Jap games usually have good collectors. Blazblue comes with nendoroid petits for instance. Usually no exclusive DLC bullshit too, which is always lovely.
Bonus points are the prices skyrocket after release.

What does piss me off though is when the soundtrack is merely a "sampler". It's the worst god damned shit. I know it's physical which is nice, but Christ at least give us the whole thing.

This was a good figure, especially when compared to the first games figure, which was something all right.

Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Melting.

I know, right? He could have bought 2 DOOM collectors editions for that price. That was a game made for the mature gamers of Holla Forums.

Both are shit not worth even looking at, let alone buying.

its weak ass ankles "melted" he started off standing straight up

You'd be surprised. Everywhere I looked, Gen 1 NVGs (the cheapest form, used in the collector's edition) usually hover around $400. You're probably getting a lot better in terms of build quality and durability, but your range will still be the same.

I wish that collectors editions were just art books and a soundtrack. Is that too hard to ask.

shut up faggot, I'm gonna hold both of your hands.

Only collector's edition I've ever got, and I'd say it was worth it considering the contents.

The LE for Ys: Memories of Celceta is still one of my favorites. $60 and it comes with a 3-disc soundtrack compilation with a handpicked mix of 64 fucking tracks from Falcom JDK's history, along with a neat artbook/game guide, a cloth map of the game world, and a compass of all things.

Ni no Kuni DS is basically an LE by default, coming with a thick 250 page book that details the game world, spells, enemies, and more. It's required to beat the game, and even comes with a fucking glossary for you to look stuff up when you need to. It's a really interesting concept, but it does mean that the game itself is unplayable without importing a copy and knowing moonrunes, since for obvious reasons it couldn't get localized with such a setup.

Here's some pics of Ni no Kuni DS.

Ace Combat always sells an edition that comes with flight sticks.

I already cleared that game, its the largest DS game as it has motion captured real time cutscenes with the same animation quality as the PS3 game and uncompressed music. Thankfully i know spanish so i played the fan translation.

Well that is technically wrong see

A bunch of spaniards got together and managed to translate both the game and spellbook on its entireness

homosexuality is a sin

I bought that and I loved game. That comic was meh and the playing cards look amazing but feel awful in your hands

i bought the collectors edition of mass effect 3

its still in my closet somewhere

Sauce?

Well, that's good to hear that at the very least the game won't be lost to time.

Yeah the cards have this weird plasticy laminated deal going on

Were the sticks any good?

Yeah, worked great on AC4, and 0. Someone also hacked some dll's to make them work on Windows 7, so they can be used on PS2 emulators. Also heard they still worked on the PS3.

I don't know why I'm laughed so hard at this, but my sides hurt & I'm in tears.

Holy fuck

that's bad ass, I've never seen that one before

Giving money to bethesda like a good todd's pet.

Good call

Well, I've only ever preordered a few games in my years, and they were all fairly recent.

I usually just bought the game day 1 or a few days after, if I really wanted it. There was never shortages of copies and the bonuses never seemed to tempt me.

The games I preordered were:
Instant regret. I got the game, 2 bonus weapons and a suit. That being said, it was cheaper than day 1 purchase, and I still maintain that DS3 was a perfectly good game, but 2 and 3 just get dragged down by the fact that 1 was superior. If they were under a different title, they'd be more loved.

Oh god, this one was a stinker. I got some alien planet maps and a fairly nice steel case that folded out with pretty pictures. Game was awful, but I saved like $20 bucks.

Only good experience with preorders. I did it because I wanted the DLC with Ellen Ripley, voiced by Sigourney, and didn't feel like waiting months until they released i for purchase/on PC (got it on Xbox).
Came with a steelbook that looked like an escape pod manual, which was really nice, the 2 DLC packs that have Ellen in them, and an art book. Art book was really nice to look at and read over design notes, too.

Most physical editions come with a Steam key nowadays,so it's still shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication, needs updating.

It's not just that. Games literally come in the form of a Steam key. ANd when they don't, they will only allow you to install half of it and then demand Steam to continue and finish the installation.

some of the older games had the key but you would install the games using the disk (you didn't have to download anything)

now its a box with a code in it

:^)

There was a ds version of this game? I thought that it was only on the ps3

Beautiful. Sucks no else could used that concept (massive book with in game info) in digital form instead like on the 2nd screen of the Wii U or 3DS while playing the game on the other screen.

Oh shit, I thought both the arms could possibly be posed and the left was just drooping due to low friction in the joints. And I really should have said "trying to do the jumping to the side while dual welding pistols bullet time pose" The addition of the action lines to the photo look great though.

I'm surprised no one's posted the $1,000,000 Saints Row pile of shit collectors edition.

They're doing this for the Battle Garegga remaster, and it stings.

I'm laughing like an autist now

i don't think you could buy it

for $100,000 the darksiders warmastered collectors edition gives you a REAL horse stable.

Literally every Ys limited edition is worth the money, user. Art books, fluff books, cloth maps, OSTs. XSeed doesn't tend to hold back, and they're usually only marginally more than the base game.

Brings memories when standard editions came with a manual full of info and lore. Too bad such ancient thing is now a exclusivity of "Collector Edition".

Shit, /kemono/ is leaking

I got the Infamous 2 one for 60 bucks the week it came out. It came with his backpack and a sound track. Along with a statue. I haven't gotten one since then.

No disc but just a download code.

Worse yet.
==FUCK YOU ARC. DONE BUYING YOUR SHIT.==>>11591056

I use mine to play Mechwarrior 4. Some dickbag mover fucked up my main stick, so I have to use my AC6 stick for my right hand. Thank fuck for UJR, Vjoy and Joy2Key.

What keyboard is that?

The artbook isn't even hard cover…

Logitech G510, with a Belkin n52te, not a shitty Razer.

you have the 360 version, they never patched that shit. when ever i think about ZoE i just get depressed.

They never patched it but it still runs better than the unpatched PS3 version. Why Konami never bother patching SH HD Collection is beyond me though.

Are those euros or Mexican pessos? How and how sturdy are those PS4 controllers. I wanted to trade in the PS3 controllers I use when playing ePSX because they fuck up on me and no amount of cleaning and tinkering will get rid of random button pushes and controller drift.

Hey you were some of the lucky ones. I remember before the game came out that amazon delayed those orders due to the storm that hit New York. Lots of people ended getting water damaged collectors editions. I was one of those people and as soon as I heard that I canceled my order and went to a game stop and took someones copy that they didn't pick up.

Tomoyo no Video Daisakusen has a great collectors edition.

Guilty as charged. Bought it day 1, too. Lesson learned.
Because fuck going to Gamestop to get my event pokes, nigga.
Don't judge.
Stick rubbers aside (A problem I haven't had because I guess I'm not a toddler?) they seem okay as far as controllers go. Xbox One's D-pad is actually clicky microswitches, though. Shame about the positioning.

Also those aren't money, user.

Is that a pink game boy?

come to think of it i may be one of the 20 people that owns this.

was given a refund and sent the stuff anyway by Telltale. if i remember they opened perorders then delayed the game for over a year. i got a letter from the CEO saying sorry and refunded me my money.

too bad the game was shit

holy shit

pokes, nigga.
agree
Ain't no judgment air force nigga, I would pull out the diablo collectors edition my brother bought but I'm not going to dig that out but I remembered that I bought it for $10 at a department store because they had it over stocked. Shit was disappointing but I still played it.
Because I had a thing for muscle women

Collectors editions don't often come to PC, which was fine cause I thought they were a waste of money anyway.

Then I saw the figure that comes with the Nier Automata collectors edition, with the artbook and soundtrack being nice as well.
I know I'd hate myself as soon as it arrived, and I want to play the PC version anyway, but god damn it's tempting.

You've done good user.

Problem solved.

Off topic but does anyone else think he looks like a muslim version of Anthony Burch?

Not sure they'll print out billions of collectors editions for a game like this from Japan.

its already sold out dude is fucked

i still have it box it came in

Pre-orders are still open.

store.na.square-enix.com/product/435171/nier-automata-black-box-edition-ps4

i was looking at the EU one
store.eu.square-enix.com/eu/product/435106/nier-automata-black-box-edition-ps4

It's not even available where I live (NZ) - reshipping services are a lifesaver + it often ends up being cheaper buying it in the US and shipping it here.

Bet you get your women used too, faggot.

FUG

No thanks.

This has me thinking what's the most valuable thing you have video game related.
Mine iswas this Metroid Prime phazone suit variant by first 4 figures. I bought it with the first paycheck I ever earned for $300. Unfortunately as soon as I got it out of the box my sister dead beat boyfriend broke it and that the crack you see in the leg that jackass didn't even pay me back. I glued it back with acrylic glue but that didn't help when years later my brother's dead beat girlfriend's retarded son broke the arm cannon, 2 out of 3 wires were severed and it doesn't light up. Last I checked this statue went for $1,200 at auction and I can't find any listing to buy a new one.

Brother

These were the only two collector's edition things I ever bought. The Halo one was pretty cool with the helmet, and the making of DVD was comfy to watch. The GTA 4 one was pretty meh, at least it had the OST DVD but that was about all I cared about.

Too bad I lost both of them

I've only ever bought 3 collectors editions.
The first was asscrud 2 because I loved the first one so much.
Came in a very nice tin with a nice statuette.
The next was asscrud brotherhood because I loved 2 so much.
It came in a crappy cardboard box with a pretty dumb jack-in-the-box.
The 3rd and last one I got was Skyrim.
That one has a story behind it.

Still have the box in my room.
Was supposed to come with a cloth map and instead it was the normal shitty paper one.
That happened to quite a few people I'm told.
The Alduin statuette is cool aside from the fact that it much like the box takes up quite a bit of space.

Since then I got even more disgusted with the industry, more often trying before buying after being burned.
For me to buy a collectors edition it has to be a sequel to something I like, the collectors edition has to appeal to me and it also needs to be a PC release.
Pretty high standards.

I've only ever bought zero collector's editions. Fuck 'em.

You disgust me.

Collectors edition
in 2011
at a midnight release
I mean come on.
Would Todd Howard and a bunch of game journos lie to people?

Well to be fair I did fall for his lies too but at least I wasnt stupid enough to buy a collector's edition

It was done really well with the whole packaging and such, I remember when Gamestop was trying to get rid of their unsold copies they were selling the Legendary Editions for $50. I have both my Halo 3 helmet and my Halo Reach statue still on my desk.

I usually just pick up the "steelbook version" of a game. That often comes with the extra kike content they cut out without giving you too much plastic shit that is embarrassing to look at

10/10

Both OST situations are pretty shitty, OP. If it's digital bullshit it can be easily pirated, and if it's a sampler then it's a waste of time.
But I know of an even worse situation: Xenoblade X's limited music USB drive. It came with special bullshit software with DRM crap that you had to run in order to listen to the music, and the USB drive was unusable as such unless you reformatted it, getting rid of the music. And to make it worse it was a fucking music selection. Geez.

About steelbooks, I don't really care. I got one in the Odin Sphere Leifthrasir limited box, but I wanted the hardcover artbook with delicious Kamitani art, mainly. This is the only 'real' limited edition I got, and it was damn worth it because the game is a blast. I also got the Tales of Xillia 'limited' edition that is basically the first run copy.
I think physical first run bonuses are much better than any overpriced limited edition crap in general. Dragon's Crown included an artbook in the first run copies for example.
Also, fuck publishers that add exclusive digital contents for the game as part of the limited editions - that's right, Bamco - fuck you and your exclusive Tales costumes, which thankfully CFW enables me to get anyway.

To be fair, while NISA sucks with bugs and censorship, their logistics and physical goodies management are top notch. They have some neat limited editions.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, I think the prize for 'weirdest' limited edition has to go to Sorcery Saga, no doubt. Surely you've seen bibanon…

Do you think the Nier Automata Black box edition is worth buying? It's like $190, sounds steep. But i love Nier.

what do you get with it?

I've never played a Nier or Drakengard game. Would you recommend i buy the new one?

DAT ASS SON

so is your latent homosexuality

SOON

I got to try them on once when the game came out, all I remember is that the field of view was extremely tiny, like you could have your hands out infront of you and it would cover half of what you could see.
Still cool, though.

Are there patches in that tin?
I can never find AC patches anywhere.
You'd think that one of the 50 faggots making chan-related patches now would have jumped on making AC patches.

i swear to fuck if i see any of you autists joining any armed force with chan or game patches i'm going to shoot you in the head and blame the enemy.

You're making a lot of assumptions and i don't like it

Well then you probably don't need to worry about video game patches as anyone in your armed forces is probably finding it hard enough to buy food.

If your country allows any non official patches in the military it means your country is shit and you should propably just shoot yourself.

Yeah true, America is a third world country.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

I have my family coat of arms as a patch and a flag of where it comes from not like it matters since nobody will see shit inside a helicopter or a bomber

Just because it's third world doesn't mean we're all starving you fatty.

Still waiting for a PC collectors Edition.

Bought the book along with a PS3 version of the game for like $30 or $40 on ebay

This is either brilliant, or terrible.
link plz