Games that shouldnt exist anymore

Runescape has to be on the top of the list. Original devs abandoned ship years ago, but somehow this game chugs along even after 15 years. How the fuck is this even happening? Does anybody even fucking play this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

oldschool.runescape.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Add Ultima Online and World of Warcraft.

pic related

the game

Overwatch.

user, the original game is still being developed.

They aren't developing the runescape people want to play.

I lost.

No I mean the actual old game still gets updates.
oldschool.runescape.com/

I'd say Minecraft, but it was never finished. It's more like an eternal alpha, it feels like it should get somewhere but isn't "old" enough to die, yet it just lingers in place.

Terraria was also supposed to die until they decided to hire more devs to keep updating it. It's gone way past it's due date, and just keeps getting more and more bloated with stuff without ever getting real expansions because the endgame is so over the top already that it can't go much beyond.

It would be better for the rest of the world if World of Warcraft just ceased to exist.

I'll admit OSRS is certainly better than the re-tooled combat system in RS3

One of the mist defining aspects of an MMORPG is the combat system. When you change the combat system, you change the entire game.

Maylay.
Honestly when you look at a case like Melee, it becomes obvious that it's precisely BECAUSE the original developer abandoned his former creation to go in a different, objectively worse direction that these sorts of games are still alive 15 years later.

how embarrasing

Terraria is good though and the expansions have been great

I agree though. There's a lot of clutter and they really need to just make a new game to slim it down and streamline it so ots more coherent, then go crazy with new engine shit and features

Any F2P MMO

Somehow the F2P model allows them to linger on indefinetely it seems.

The "Melee was an accident" meme needs to die.
Melee was designed around one game design principle- responsiveness .
The idea is that, when the player makes an input, the game should not ignore that input.
That's why even on the character select screen, the C-stick has a function- it moves the camera around.
Even without the wavedash, Melee is an infinitely faster and more responsive game than every other Smash game.

Adding more characters, stages, items? Sure, that's great.
But making the game half as responsive as it used to be? Making the game ignore several times more inputs than Melee ever ignored?
That's just shitty game design.

I thought you were talking about Melee, not Brawl.

Call of Duty

Also, please explain to me how mechanics such as L-canceling, jump-canceling of shine, illusion shorten for Fox/Falco, Samus' grappler extender, etc. make any sense at all for a silly party game that only casuals will play.

Sakurai's just full of shit, and you know it.

Hell, the guy said he added tripping because he wanted the less experienced players to have a chance to win against those who play better, clearly talking about kids playing with their parents. The guy never cared to make the game balanced, he only added more content, because that's what the kids want, to try more characters and more stages, to use new items and see silly and cool things happen.

You think you're pointing out a flaw in my thought process, but that is exactly what Sakurai thought as he worked on Brawl/Sm4sh.
He removed L-canceling, jump-cancelled shine, shortening of Fox/Falco illusion, Samus' grappler, etc., he removed all of that for Brawl/Sm4sh.
Why?
Because a game intended for kids can't have those kinds of interesting mechanics and tricks.
They give the more experienced players the upper hand against less experienced players.

The fact is, Sakurai had a change of heart, and a change in the audience he intended to target from Melee (Gamecube) to Brawl (Wii).
Smash was not always meant to be just a silly party game for kids- it was meant to be appealing to all ages, all skill levels.
But Brawl and Sm4sh, yes, they are meant to just be a silly party game for kids.

Find me one interview of Sakurai talking about Smash being not a fighting game, but a party game that he said before working on Brawl.
Find me one interview of Sakurai talking about leveling the playing field for less experienced players before he worked on Brawl.
You won't.
He's trying to pretend like Smash was meant to be a party game all along, when it simply wasn't.

I want to clarify this one statement.
Because this is the way Sakurai thinks nowadays regarding less vs. more experienced players, and it's flawed logic.

Just look at Splatoon- the game puts you in matches with players of a similar skill level, and it works wonderfully! Casuals can enjoy it playing with other casuals, advanced players can enjoy it playing with other advanced players.
And look at Brawl, Sm4sh- Sakurai has certainly tried to level the playing field, but has he really succeeded? Can a 10-year old kid beat a competitive player in his twenties?
No, they don't stand a chance, they get the tar beaten out of them.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.
Sakurai is full of shit.

There's a difference between changing the core mechanics of the game to try to force balance (such as tripping or overall lowering of the skill ceiling), and then there's outside choices like matchmaking and elo/rating. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Changing game mechanics to "level the playing field" and providing an online experience that pairs you with other players of a similar skill level (without butchering the game's mechanics) are two different approaches to solving to the same problem- "how to make a game that people of all skill levels can enjoy."
It's comparing apples and oranges, perhaps, but I think it's worth comparing these different approaches to making competitive games enjoyable for everyone to see which approach is actually more enjoyable for players of each skill level.

What I'm arguing is that the former solution is a shit solution- you have the game intentionally throw out player input more and more so that an advanced player's play will never become anything more than what the most elementary players can handle, whether playing online or offline. And even then, the more experienced players win against inexperienced players.

Whereas, with online match-making, it is accepted/assumed that less experienced players won't win against experienced players, and so instead the game finds players of a similar skill level to play against.
Offline play (private matches in the case of Splatoon) may put you against someone who is leagues ahead of you in skill, but it's not like changing the game mechanics to level the playing field really solves that offline game experience problem anyways (the more experienced players still win).

Isn't there some SSB general you sperglords should be shrieking in?

POST MOAR GAMES THAT SHOULDNT EXIST

Fucking Telltale games. They all suck, but the Game of Thrones one was just too fucking cringey. A choose your own adventure interspersed with QuickTime events? No thanks.

Life

The target audience is autistic manchildren in their 20s who never grew up and just want to feel that sense of wonder they did playing as a kid. I'd say it's thriving with that base and I myself have been tempted a few times.

TF2 probably could have used a sequel or a straight up reboot at some point along the way. The current game seems buckling under its own feature bloat.

OMG that's Tommy Wiseau. What is this from??

Sounds about right

EQ, RO, and WoW

I mean, please just free the MMO market already.

The entire MMO genre. People keep trying to keep it alive and they need to stop. It's a cancerous festering tumor on video games. Multiplayer in general is cancer (look at the modern trend of video games going towards more and more multiplayer focus), and I blame MMOs for a large part of it.

Insurgency is ok though.

Pokemon

Do you know the kind of people to who pokemon is the only game ever made?

I can do squats like that doing more than eighty than fast hurts though.

show us

This, especially WoW. It didn't mean to ruin all MMOs, sure, but it did, and its continue existence will make sure there will never be even an attempt to a non-WoW clone.

i'd record myself but that's a bad idea. All you need to know is I moved my thighs that quick and they hurt like hell, at least after 140.

chicken

The base game was so good and open-ended that there's still thousands oprivate servers functioning. It will never return to it's old glory tough.
The "sequels" missed the point entirely on what made it good but there's a remake coming for mobile(probably good to play on the PC too) I hope they stick to the basics and actually goes in a different direction that the original went wrong.

It hurts.

This was a really good thread to find out who needs to go back to Reddit, NeoGAF and Smash forums.
Too bad Mark won't ban them.

crybaby

Pokemon GO
Everyone is over it and has moved on yet the devs are still trying to win people back. The fad is over and it isn't coming back.

Dark Age of Camelot. Yes, it's still running.

cheeky bastard

Was that actually based on a videogame?

Have fun destroying your knees. I hope you can still walk in your 50s.

Haven't heard that one in a while.

(checked)
I remember first seeing this over in Holla Forums about a decade ago and thinking it was a stupid game only for it to be confirmed a few weeks later when I went to a local con and I could hear faggots yelling "the game, you lose XDDDD" multiple times during the event.
I also learned that cons are cancerous overall and the merch is way overpriced.

ASSFAGGOTS should have never been created. One of the worst genres of games and hands down the one with the worst ratio of people who barely play it/faggots who don't play it and just stream it. It's just like normalfags who love watching sports but never play them themselves.

no. but it should be

Is that artist still dead and did someone reupload his deleted artwork?
I know what your thinking, but I prefer ryona/wrestling when it comes stuff like this. I just have a morbid fascination with this artist.

we are one or two days away from 2017, have they even released that pyro overhaul they promised? did they even bothered to make something noteworthy on this years smismass?

I think it's from "The Neighbors", a shitty comedy sitcom he started in 2014 and inspired by the cries of laughter of the audience during The Room. Tommy believed people were having a good time with his "dramatic comedy", when they were actually mocking the result of his utter ineptitude for directing, writing and acting. And his lack of self-awareness.

I like these comics, because they show you exactly what would happen if the real world tried the kind of bullshit "one-girl army" you see every day in the media, I'd like one featuring Kim Possible, the most notable bitch who was sold to kids by the Disney Jews, being sent in to deal with ISIS, and getting raped, gangraped, forced into lesbianism/beastiality/misgenation/antieugenic sex (sex with the genetically defective subhumans who are like the kind you'd find at the freakshows and asylums of the past)/other acts so degenerate that even her iron-willed, feminist mind is brutally broken by her participation in them, then tortured and mutilated to the precipice of death, then immolated.

Her beta male sidekike should also be shown getting everything he deserves as the worst of the Jews, from people who actually WANT Jews to suffer, unlike the comparatively humane extermination programs of the nazis.

this

This, WoW needs to finally fucking die

except for City of Heroes.
yes, i'm still mad.

Sounds incredible. Based upon that clip, can I assume it is as laughably bad as The Room?

Did a Jew shoot your dog or something?

all of them

Look dude if you need a fap just head over to sadpanda.

t. edgy faggot

you just started breathing manually

[UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL!?]

Nah.

Angel Corps was done for the money and now the artist does vanilla for Patreon now.

Fucking trash.

Trash.

You really didn't like Kim Possible, huh? It's okay, I wasn't exactly a big fan either.

jokes on you, everything i do is manual

That's why it could still be funny. If he isn't self aware and genuinely believes people love his shit, he'll continue making laughably awful stuff in earnest. That means it's still funny. "It's shit on purpose" comedy tends toward being shit. Unintentionally bad drama tends toward being funny when it's that bad.

Where do you think we are, 7th exodus cuckchan rapefugee?

I've been here since 2014, faggot.

prove it