Fan Translation Thread

The long-awaited E.V.O. fan-translation is finally complete! 46okumen.com/projects/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution/

Other urls found in this thread:

transcorp.romhacking.net/projects/herc4/
files.catbox.moe/dbiqdc.FDI
files.catbox.moe/vrf7vm.FDI
files.catbox.moe/u6gusa.FDI
files.catbox.moe/fc79v4.FDI
files.catbox.moe/pox4pm.FDI
at2.metalbat.com/?p=664
a0t.co/2016/12/29/december-2016-update-3/#more-2475
japanesepccompendium.blogspot.com/2013/09/46-okunen-monogatari-shinkaron-evo.html
46okumen.com/projects/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution/
46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/
mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g
soltriggerenglish.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/happy-new-year-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Glory of Heracles IV also recently got a fan translation patch.

Glory of Heracles IV: Gift from the Gods was finally released a few days back. Now the entire Glory of Heracles series is in English.
transcorp.romhacking.net/projects/herc4/

Hopefully this now means the Nightcrawler can devote more time to his sole remaining project, Song of the Angel: Prayer of the White Wings. He said earlier this year that it wasn't too far behind GoH IV in completion, so maybe that will be out soon too.

Never ever.

Is GoH IV worth playing, or is it just a generic JRPG?

I thought E.V.O was released in North America?

it was and it was a fun game. I don't honestly know why anyone would bother with a fan translation there wasn't really a plot iirc.

Some other updates:

Glory of Heracles started out as a Dragon Quest clone (with an ancient/mythological Greece setting helping set it apart), but I hear that it really came into being much more of its own thing with the SFC entries.

I haven't played them myself just yet (they're still backlogged, and wasn't too aware of them until a couple of years back; doesn't help that the west only officially got a single game here, as if a series of games with western mythology wouldn't sell well in the west) so I suppose I can't accurately say if they're generic, but they've proven surprisingly popular to fan-translate (same can't be said for Data-East's other JRPG series Metal Max), so I would assume that if one likes classic-era JRPGs, they're solid enough. According to wikipedia, they're much more games you play for the actual story than gameplay though (something about GoH II having cemented the gameplay that III and IV would follow), and IV has an apparent focus on Atlantis and Pandora's Box, and I don't think any other JRPG has had all that direct of a Greek focus, giving it a niche (the way Wild Arms has its niche as a western themed JRPG series). From the sound of it though, Glory of Heracles IV has a body possession system (since the protagonist is just a soul) which lets you have access to various sets of abilities in combat depending on what you're inhabiting.

You can read a description of the game on the project page (though given it's the translator himself writing about it, he might be a bit biased; he does claim he only translates games he finds enjoyable).

According to the description in the link up there, Theory of Evolution is not the same as Search for Eden on the SNES.

You know what's a game I really want to get translated? Segaga for the Dreamcast, it's essentially a big FUCK YOU to ps2

Oh I see this is for the NEC PC-9800 version. There was a SNES version in NA.

Has there been much in the way of a fan-transaltion scene for the Dreamcast? I know of Frame Gride having been finished, but that's about all I can recall. Strikes me that either it might be a hard system to work with for that, or perhaps low demand for doing so. I could be wrong though.

When?

I think Mato's said that he's open to giving anyone serious about fan translating it the tools he made for a proof of concept thing, but I guess no one's bothered to take him up on that.

Oh, and I might also add that between only one game in the series coming west (and most "professional" reviews being rather critical of it), and the rest of the series having to be fan-translated (and not being one of the really popular fan-translated games a lot of people have played, like SD3, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, etc), you might be hard pressed to find much discussion out there, or anons that have played them. Especially for GoH IV since the English translation just came out, and being moon only prior is likely an issue for a lot of people. Still, you might want to consider asking in a "Why aren't you learning Japanese yet?" thread and just see if anyone there's played it and can give a personal opinion as to the game/series.

No shit, play a good game for a change, EVO's good.

Which one is that?

I think he's butthurt because they didn't finish ASM hacking 2 and released a partial translation with a translation document for the missing bits.

SRW Alpha fucking never.

E.V. O. Search for Eden was apparently based on this, being the companies later game
Good to know

There are two different versions of EVO. The PC98 version came out first and was a more story driven RPG game, while the SNES version came out two years later and was an action platformer of sorts (which was also localized). Two mostly different games.

Why do these narcissistic faggots always let their efforts go to waste when they get bored of working on a game? If that cuck would release the files I'd finish it myself, but I checked his twitter a while back and he'll apparently block anyone who asks him about any unfinished projects.

He posts on Twitter constantly, but he won't even let people know what happened with that crowdsourcing they opened up for the editing.

That fag is an SJW and doesn't even know Japanese. He's just an "editor", so his translator probably ran out on him.

There's a bunch from the series two, of which only EVO the action is localised. EVO's real name is like "The 76 Billion Year History" and there's stuff like "All of the Star's History" or some shit.

Well then, how do we find the translator?

Oh whoops it's just this game that plays off of the story in 76 Billion years.

The only other memorable games from these people is Wonder Project J, two good point and click games.

nice

WHERE ARE THE LEGEND OF XANADU I & II

When will this game's fucking translation come out? Is the project dead or something?

Tear Ring Saga recently got translated. It's the SRPG the original creator of Fire Emblem made after he quit intelligent systems. For years hardcore FE fans had been playing this untranslated for the gameplay alone.

I somehow missed this, thanks a lot!

theres so much still untranslated

I recall some "not FF tactics" for the GBA, something Matrix Zeo
some guy dropped trying to translate those 2 Rayearth handheld rpgs too.

I thought /vr/ had already translated it or something, but maybe they just dumped the game files for whoever wanted to to do so? Not sure.

Black/Matrix: Zero, you mean? And yeah, there's a lot of games either stuck in fan-translation hell (look at all the shit AG has as "active" projects that haven't gone anywhere in years), some games that there just doesn't seem to be any interest in doing them for despite a neat sounding premise (IE: Granhistoria or Dark Kingdom SFC), as well as whole series that pretty much never made the jump west and have never seen much interest from fan-translators (Far East of Eden has only seen a fighting spin-off officially brought west, and the only fan-translation was for another spinoff, Oriental Blue). Hell, even going off stuff I've read for ones that did eventually become finished, sometimes its the import community themselves that hold demand and efforts up for a long time in claiming "the game's not worth the time or effort", as I hear was the case for Treasure of the Rudras.

For a few, there's at least a valid excuse of technical problems preventing them, like Sigma Harmonics text all being vertically displayed which would be a massive pain in the ass to try to work in English.

Oh shit awesome! Thanks user!

…The super nintendo game?

This is a pseudo prequel to that. Similar concept, different gameplay and execution.

The reverse, EVO SNES is a pseudo remake.

I thought this had been translated for awhile, is the version I downloaded about 10-12 months ago incomplete or something?

Yep.

We had multiple threads for electrosphere.

I fucking need to learn Jap already. Grammar is piss-easy, it's just that the alphabet's a fucking mess.

Just do it you fag.

You can't learn japanese

I plan to start compiling all fan translated games starting next year as soon as my Hyperspin HDD gets here. My plan is to have the latest version with working roms / isos verified by me (which is a part of my plan to have a single HDD loaded with Hyperspin that would be my master backup for emulation). I'm tired of collecting shit in such a disorganized fashion as I have been doing.

Would you guys be interested in having this kind of thing available? I could share it somehow once I finished each system (will likely start with NES / SNES / Genesis). Not sure how I could do that sharing, but I could look into it. Also, any suggestion regarding how I could keep track of the file version of each? Some fan translators leave that information at the title screen, but some dont. The filename will likely be changed to fit Hyperspin, so I wont be able to keep it written in the filename.

That sounds great.

I've been wanting to build up my vidya archive and make it neat and proper. I was gonna use Launchbox as the Frontloader though, it has some nice customization features.

Try looking at the patch's readme file, typically romhacking.net has these viewable online via the patch's page, or they're included with the patch itself.

Being a fan of Spice & Wolf is suffering.

Nigga, you're getting the 3rd season, calm down.

Readme files with the actual patches generally contain information on what release version it's on, and as says, RHDN usually lists off the most current patch version of stuff there too. If you're talking about how to signify version in the patched game file itself though, I usually use something like "[Game] (Eng vX.YZ).file" as the name. I suppose you could get away with not specifying directly in the filename who did the the patch/translation as most games only see one complete fan translation (though there are a few that do actually see multiple, like Tales of Phantasia PS1 and Mystic Ark). Also, it might be worth noting that not every full "release" quality patch is going to be a v1.00 release. Some groups opt to just call a v0.9 release "finished".

Additionally, there's some games where databases like RHDN don't have pages or downloads for them there, be it due to the translator's own wishes against hosting the patch there, or because the patch is still in a closed bata despite being playable (such as AT2 being on Beta 5a), so it's just some things to keep in mind.

Launchbox is great from what I have seen. I only decided to go with Hyperspin because I bought a complete HDD set and plan to add to it. I will probably make a wheel for fan translated games only. That and I have some experience setting up Hyperspin, so that also helps.

Oh no, that is not the problem. What I'm saying is that once I have a bunch of patched games, I wont know which patch version each of those games are at, so I wont know if I'm on the latest patch or not at some point in the future. I wont keep the readme files on the HDD, it would be too messy.

Anyone playing this on Anex86? I'm having problems with the controls not working. I can't go down through the menu, but I can move in every direction just fine.

Why are you using Anex86 instead of Neko Project II fmgen?

Couldn't get it to work on np for some reason but anex works for me.

What was the error on NP2? What version of the files are you using?

Your best bet is to get the HDM files from the Neo Kobe PC98 Mega (in the Enix folder) and patch those, then use those with the latest NP2fmgen.

In np it would load the A user and b1 parts fine, but anything after that wouldn't work. The hdi file is working so far though.

What system is this for?

Super Famicom/SNES.

Hmm..I did like the PS2 game Metal Saga. Is it as good as that?

Not sure. They're the same series though. MMR is a remake of the first Metal Max for the Famicom.

They're similar in idea. As in you leave home to become a hunter and get vehicles to fuck shit up for adventure and sweet cash.

can anyone link the EVO game files, I've spent fifteen minutes scumming websites looking for the link and can't dig it up

The link in the OP?

files.catbox.moe/dbiqdc.FDI
files.catbox.moe/vrf7vm.FDI
files.catbox.moe/u6gusa.FDI
files.catbox.moe/fc79v4.FDI
files.catbox.moe/pox4pm.FDI

Ignore the filenames, these should already be patched. Hope these work for ya user

Damn, that looks sweet.

I've got to give Policenauts a try.

god bless you

Same with Lady Stalker. Feels bad man.

So how is it so far guys? I'm trying to find my way to the rock in the Amphibian Era

Bump, fun game. Made it to the Ice Age stage. The slime shit was pretty horrifying holy shit

Project Metafalica's Ar Tonelico II Fan Retranslation is finally out of beta testing, and the release-quality patch is now publicly available to download.
at2.metalbat.com/?p=664

Some kind user has also already prepatched the game .

Second bump, not letting this die.

Tales of Destiny DC December update #3:
a0t.co/2016/12/29/december-2016-update-3/#more-2475

I'm guessing it's still likely to be another year or two at minimum, but it's certainly nice to see some honest-to-goodness progress after the project was just rotting in Cless' backlog prior to A0T picking it up from him.

Four outta ten bait

That's cool but i can't find the ROM of the actual game anywhere

Game Download:
japanesepccompendium.blogspot.com/2013/09/46-okunen-monogatari-shinkaron-evo.html

Patch and Manual Downloads:
46okumen.com/projects/e-v-o-the-theory-of-evolution/

PC-98 Emulation Set Up if you need it:
46okumen.com/pc-98-emulation/

thanks lad

The Neo Kobe PC98 pack is probably the best image versions for any game, and it includes EVO.

mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g

These are the HDI and HDM versions supported by the patch.

Speaking of, what's the best way to organize these for a front-end such as Launchbox? I've been slowly working on something similar to

Fucking hell. At least post something a bit tangible to show that progress has actually been happening.
soltriggerenglish.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/happy-new-year-2/