Linux gaming thread

I'm installing pic related on my new computer to see if I can abandon wangblows entirely. What needs to be done to make games work on it? I don't think I need anything past DX9 compatibility, since that's what Dragon's Dogma ran at, and modern games are shit so I don't plan on playing any newer games from now on, which hopefully means compatibility will be easy since I just need to get it to work with older stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
appdb.winehq.org/
kromhouts.net/blog/pc-hardware/logitech-g700-mouse-in-debian-gnulinux/
launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/ archive/ubuntu/pkppa
gog.com/game/hotline_miami
devuan.org/
gnuinos.org/index.php/en/
ibiblio.org/refracta/screenshots.html
sourceforge.net/projects/nelum-dev1/
sourceforge.net/projects/linnix/
sourceforge.net/projects/zephyrlinux/
maxolasersquad.blogspot.com/2013/09/compiling-snes9x-on-ubuntu.html
board-db.org/search.php?advanced=1&q=&ram_min=1025&cpu_speed_min=&cpu_cores=&price_min=&price_max=20&storage_min=&gpio_min=&usb_min=&type=&lan=on&lan_speed=100&order=rating&order_d=d
aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-One-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-and-Compatible-with-Raspberry-Pi-2/32603308880.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-PC-SET13-Orange-Pi-PC-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-16GB-Class-10Micro-SD/1553371_32676618481.html
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-Set-3-Orange-Pi-One-Transparent-ABS-Case-USB-to-DC-4-0MM/1553371_32640565321.html
makeuseof.com/tag/install-proprietary-graphics-drivers-ubuntu-fedora-linux/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs#Codecs_list
vfio.blogspot.hu/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kondara
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WINE, and/or dual boot and don't let the win partition connect to the internet.

I have no other use for it besides games, and I plan on not having the entire computer internet connected from the start. I'd just like to drop windows finally and I figure since I mostly play 8-20 year old games it should be more possible in my case.

Learn how to open terminal from a folder. If you can compile a game natively, do it. Remember:

Wine can work in conjuction with PlayOnLinux. Wine is extremely versatile these days. Depending on your hardware, you can run just about anything even if it's through Wine.

As long as I can still use games like thief that are native to windows only, I'll be happy.
Also, what would I do in the case where the files I have for a game come in the form of the program files folder of the game and not a .exe?

The most important thing is to have an Intel GPU, since Intel puts its drivers on the kernel. NVIDIA/AMD release broken proprietary drivers with missing features. Don't bother with those drivers, they will ruin your system. For games, you want Wine or PlayOnLinux. Get the PPAs not the regular packages, they are more up to date.

I'll have an intel cpu, but an amd gpu.

I love being a retard

compile gzdoom/zandronum, eduke32, quakespasm/darkplaces, seriousengine and postal1

all the games you need

There's a native Steam for Linux, if you use that. It's got a decent number of Linux games there, but most of them are indie.
Wine has already been mentioned, but don't get it from Mint's default repo. Look at installing Wine-staging, which is the experimental stuff. It's usually more compatible: github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation and follow Ubuntu's installation instructions. Also note that Mint is an Ubuntu derivative, so most of the time you can use Ubuntu packages and stuff. You install things in Mint/Ubuntu by adding the project's repository Think of it like a catalog, so your package manager can deal with it.
You can grab DOSBox in Mint's default repos. The default repos also contain some freely distributable games. Go play Beneath a Steel Sky, Abuse, Sauerbraten and Xonotic, they should be there.
lastly, just fuck with it. You learn by fucking with things, and it's not like you're paying for Mint. Use Virtualbox if you don't want to fuck up your main installation.

lamafao

Lolno. Any steam game I have would be pirated, hope that won't affect the ability to run on wine.

That shouldn't cause any issues. I can't think of a game off the top of my head where the Linux version works but the Windows version doesn't.
Also check the share threads, some people post Linux games there occasionally.

My main concern would be how linux handles files differently from windows e.g. .exe's, and on my external hdd that has all of my games, some of the games are in the form of .exe's for installation, some are in the form of .iso's for installation, and some are in the form of the programs file folder with all of the game files unpacked that you can just run from there.

I can name one, Psychonauts.
Due to a rare bug it becomes unplayable on windows. But the linux port of Psychonauts is actually ironically better because the linux port has no mouse acceleration over the windows port.

You run .exe files with Wine. It sets up a Windows-like environment and lets the program run on that. From your point of view you should just double click the file and it'll run. If you do it from the terminal it's just "wine game.exe".
If it's a game that doesn't need installation that's all there is to it. Sometimes exe files are actually zipped archives containing the real exe, but I've only noticed that once with Undertale.
As for games with installers, Wine emulates a fake C drive in your home directory. It'll just install to that and drop a launcher somewhere for you. There's a tool called PlayOnLinux which makes this easier for a lot of games.

Sounds nice then. Hopefully graphics drivers will be fine as well.

if you're with amd, it should be fine.

I am.

Also I'm checking appdb.winehq.org/ right now, it's making me very optimistic from searching all of my games.

I like to play emacs. It's a really fun game albeit tough at first.

alternativly if it isn't an application your trying to make a shortcut you could add a symbolic link.
ln -s /folderorfile/link/will/point/to /name/of/the/link

What browser? If the browser your trying to install has a Ubuntu repository, you can just use that instead of building the package.

absolute proprietary

Didn't wine get DX11 support now? And DX9 was good enough for lots of games before that.

jej

emacs has too much dlc, i'd rather just play a full game like vim

lamafao

I have the newest nvidia drivers and it works for me :^)

Reminder that AMD officially switched to open source drivers while nvidia only distributes a big ugly binary.

What are you, a casual?

Absolutely haram.

They don't look proprietary matey

I'm actually doing a playthrough of Thief Gold right now, running via WINE on Linux Mint.

they are though

all you need is adblock and a vpn and you are good to go, and make sure your steam profile set to private if you idiots are so concerned about privacy.

IceCat, I don't know shit but I'll look it up eventually.

or just use the fucking open source drivers, any GCN 1.0 card using radeonsi or amdgpu beats intel gpu garbage

also Linux Mint a shit

My Linux Mint desktop. r8 h8 etc.

I'm having a blast not being able to use all the fucking buttons on my new fucking mouse. This is such fucking bullshit. Who the fuck fucked up fucking mice on linux? I don't need a control-c button, or a control-v button, alt-tab button, paste button, fucking who the fuck knows what other key combos the buttons are bound to. It's fucking dogshit. My new G700s is garbage on linux.

6/10

Is this a rice thread?

I had a G600, and I'd just configure it properly in Windows before using it in Linux. The profiles are stored on the mouse, not the computer, and your copypaste/alt-tab layout is one of the presets for the G700s
This might help, look out for the Terminal commands though.: kromhouts.net/blog/pc-hardware/logitech-g700-mouse-in-debian-gnulinux/

You fucked up.

Install the latest version of Mesa through launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/ archive/ubuntu/pkppa for the best performance on AMD and Intel hardware, and use Wine-staging with CSMT enabled for improved Windows vidya performance in general. Since you're probably using headphones as well, you should also look into setting up OpenAL-Soft's HRTF implementation and replacing Steam's bundled version with a symbolic link to your own for some sweet positional audio effects.

nice orange text on orange background, fucko

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Do you have a single fact to back that up

Also note that if you're editing text in a terminal, the best way is an editor called nano. It should be installed by default. "sudo nano /etc/whatever/thing.txt" will open up thing.txt with admin privileges, so you can edit it. If that doesn't work "sudo apt install nano" will install it. If you're unsure about something, make a backup first "cp thing.txt thingbackup.txt".
Those instructions are for the G700. The G700s will have one or two changes, but the main stuff is the same. The stuff under the udev section identifies the mouse by it's model, and that will be different. "lsusb" lists all USB devices with their models and other information. The "id xxxx:yyyy" from lsusb lists the model, where xxxx is idVentor and yyyy is idProduct.

The wallpaper's on a cycle, i just needed something that looks good on anything. Blue and orange seem to fit.

Inb4 emacs/vi/ed zealots start talking shit.

Happy now?

Been running Mint for a year now still haven't bothered to learn how to maintain it. Somewhat know how to update packages but in package manager, still shows a ton of shit needed to be updated. No lie, internet browsing is far better in linux than windows, but I still get really annoyed with linux, especially hate having to dualboot into windows. I actually did manage to get a game running in wine, but it was stuck at 30hz, even though my monitor runs at 144hz in linux. I think I want to get a micro pc and just have linux running on that, that way I don't have to dualboot.

5/10, try harder. Also, post your screenfetch with the next one.

There, you fuck. And I'm not installing your meme package.

getting there

:^^^^^^^^^^^^)

Why don't you just give headpats.

whats the point of a desktop if you dont put shit on it

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Don't fucking tempt me, white boi.

I'll _pat your head so hard _our kids will feel it.

Everyday until you like it batty boy

I'm stuck in a loop of deciding if I should go with linux for privacy reasons or go with windows 10 for the game support. These be tough decisions. What do?

I approve.

Windows 7 still exists

What is it with you and the number 7?

Are there any specific games you want to play which require Windows 10? if not, stick to 7.
7 on a gaming PC and Linux on everything else is decent enough to get away from Microsoft's bullshit. Use the gaming PC exclusively for gaming and game chat, and the Linux computer for actual work.

(check'd)
(check'd)
Thanks, these double dubs want me to get 7 so I will. I'll also get linux on my laptop and just store my personal stuff there.

Plebs.

Mint-X is pretty, though.

You take that back, or else it's pistols at dawn. I bet you don't even into blinkenlights, faggot.

Now you can press F12 and immediately get the info you need right on the terminal, without cluttering your desktop with Conky.

As neat as htop and tilda is, it's not as customizable as i would like it, and it's awfully hard to automate. That and i'm already using one window of Tilda for my CAVA audio visualiser.

Also, pick your weapon and name your time and place.

Are you captaining a ruse cruise here?

You are beneath me.

Only so I can receive your headpat.

Try to find a torrent site that has linuxfags pack games into wine and tie it all up into one neat package you simply need to extract&play.
Rutracker has a Linux Gaming section, but all of the games I've installed so far are in Russian. If you're a cyka then it's not a problem, but for the english stuff you'll just have to look elsewhere.
Also make sure that the graphics card and it's drivers are compatible with the distro you'll install. Steam has a dedicated SteamOS+Linux section if you're interested in that, but most people will tell you that it kinda beats the purpose in terms of privacy.

Right now I'm only able to play some old games on this shitty laptop, like Red Alert and this here rooskie point&click adventure game.

You asked for it, slut.

Show us your desktop if you're so great.

Awesome 4.0 came out just recently. They added a few cool features, like native gap support and aerosnap. Makes me want to try it again

1. I'm on a laptop.
2. There is nothing wrong with Mint.

All these screenshots aside I have a question regarding Emulation on Linux.

I started running Mint 18.1 and wish to use a SNES emulator. ZSNES comes with the software repository but I've used SNES9x for years and am having trouble installing it.

I grabbed the source for 1.54 off the site but whenever I try to run ./configure it tells me I don't have x11. I do have the latest version of Xorg so I don't know what I am missing.

I could try and install the gtk version of SNES9x but that doesn't even have a ./configure file to start with.

Last time I asked about this someone suggested I use some more recent emulator that has SNES9x bundled into it but I have similar problems installing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

here are some tips
>>>/poltech/66

Steam has Linux games that just werk but also GOG and Humble Bundle have DRM free games that just werk

unless you're a stalman fagot just install the proprietary drivers, GOG hotline Miami runs a lot better with the proper Nvidia drivers

hold CTRL+SHIFT and click and drag to where you want the shortcut, other ways too
when it hangs forever just shut it down manually it won't hurt it the way it hurts windows
Dualbooting requires separate partitions and then, from what I hear, repairing the windows installation afterwards
I just installed it on a separate drive

gog.com/game/hotline_miami
Mint is forked from Ubuntu

try for GOG for an easier setup
Stardew valley runs on a Toaster I have at 1024 resolution without a hitch except when it rains

is that the DirectX bug that hits telltale games?
that's fixable with a directX file begin put in the game folder

Those are the proprietary drivers fam

fam

Devuan is not yet ready

nice use of system resources

Is that monkey island?

install any x11-dev packages. Most distros bundle the program and the compiling stuff separately.
Speaking of compiling stuff, install build-essential. It pulls in all the stuff you need to compile your own software.
Alternatively just get Retroarch and the Snes9x core. They should be in the repos.

and will never be

It's not technically a "desktop", just a wallpaper, because I use a plain WM.

I just sit on stable, I'm on 3.5.6 now. I noticed that their wiki died for some reason. 4.0 has some cool API changes I'm stoked for.

I don't actually care, but it is odd that about 9/12 people in this thread are on Mint. I don't know anything about it really, but I like to sit close to upstream, so if I was using a deb distro, I'd probably just use Debian with a pile of custom repos.

user it has at least 4 flavors ready for computan but it ain't ready for prime time gaming

I'm using MATE, not KDE.

devuan.org/
gnuinos.org/index.php/en/
ibiblio.org/refracta/screenshots.html
sourceforge.net/projects/nelum-dev1/
sourceforge.net/projects/linnix/
sourceforge.net/projects/zephyrlinux/

shit, I was careless and assumed that was a gear
carry on fam

That would be what I was missing. I had build-essential.

That's what someone recommended. I'll check it out but I did want to stick with what I know for now.

Just use retroarch.

well, I didn't expect that to ever get somewhere
I'm positively surprised

No big deal. It is a gear. My autism doesn't like the default Mint icon for the menu, so I changed it.

Mint has a lot of polish, tries to be the same with each release and has compatibility with Ubuntu. It also includes codecs and similar things for convenience. The fact that it has a simple name also helps.
It's a convenient distro, because instead of trying to get people to pronunce Ubuntu correctly, or going on about Arch, Gentoo and systemd, you can just say "Want to try Linux. Try Linux Mint".

I'm happy about it too user, last time I checked 2 of those distros looked good enough to actually use

fair enough, honestly I just wanted to take a shot at KDE for using twice the resources on mint of any other distro, jesus christ

this sums up mint perfectly and is the reason I shared my notes in the form of a guide for anons

it's really fucking easy to put together and use

KDE might be heavy, but it's got features to match it. The settings panel is very detailed, you can install themes and widgets straight from the menus without downloading, and KDE's default programs have loads of options you won't find anywhere else. If you like GUIs and bucketloads of features, and you'd rather not fuck around in a terminal, KDE is probably the best thing out there. Except for that one glitch where notifications turn the volume to 100%, but that's pulseaudio, not KDE.
I'd rather rip on GNOME for removing features while still being more bloated than it needs to be.

ANOOOOOON

I don't mind using something different but I have a problem that I want to solve. Next if figuring out how to run GTK SNES then I'll consider changing to retroarch.

I don't have steam, so that won't be a problem.

Can I get something similar to objectdock for linux?

I'm sorry, I'm just lazy as fuck and prefer using a GUI when I can. It's surprising how little you need a terminal in most Linux distros, especially with distros which come with their own control panel equivalent. As for features:
>Amarok, the music player with podcast/radio/other stuff support Although Clementine is great too
>Wobbly Windows and Desktop Cube :^)
And I'm sure I can come up with more if I thought about it properly. Minimal desktops are neat but sometimes you want everything to just werk.

Look up Cairo-Dock, it might be what you're looking for.

user PLEASE

Make sure you have pkg-config installed. There's a good chance it's running pkg-config --cflags x11, getting an error, and deciding that you don't have X11.
Make sure you have pkg-config, as well as all your other development libraries installed. Every relevant -dev package (especially your X11 ones) should be installed, including your compiler, make, and other relevant toolchains.

SNES9X probably has some build instructions: maxolasersquad.blogspot.com/2013/09/compiling-snes9x-on-ubuntu.html

FUG

fuckin owncloud would not sync this

YaST is wonderful.

Can I run Linux Mint in terminal exclusive mode where everything is text and no gui's, and will I be cooler if I do?

And then there's the truly GUI part. OpenSUSE comes with a tool that lets you configure loads of different parts of the system without even touching the terminal. I can change my bootloader settings, edit which applications start at different system states, manage packages and repos, change user privileges and even set up server features, all from a graphical interface. The only reason I needed to touch the terminal when I installed OpenSUSE in the first place was to edit a pulseaudio config file to stop that notification volume glitch, everything else was pure GUI.
And then there's YAST oneclick install. You want something not in the default repos? Search OpenSUSE built service, pick the package you want, click "one click install" and let everything else do the work. It's easier than Ubuntu.
YAST does have a terminal-based version if GUIs aren't your type.

I don't think you're gonna ask now so I'll just say you can automate a ton of shit
my updates run at those times every day so I don't have to fuck with it

yes and no in that order

I used to think Window Managers were the best, but now I'm in love with GNOME. It's just simple and nice.

If you're running a Linux system now, Ctrl + Alt + F1. Linux has multiple "heads", and the GUI is usually on head 7. Ctrl + Alt + F7 should bring you back to the GUI.
Will it make you cooler? Not really.

Terminal is still great, and it's a great thing to have. It's just that I prefer using a GUI if I can get away with it. I used to have loads of shell scripts for things like downloading and autoplaying Youtube videos in the background.

fam you learn the terminal jsut enough to make your shit and then completely forget it, on purpose

I have a bunch of notes on how to do shit with explicit instructions on the how and why of it
just yesterday I wiped and reinstalled my personal in house cloud storage I have on my garage computer and I barely had to think about it except to babysit it, I was playing Rogue Like Evolution listening to synthwave while it ran behind the window

ayyy that's more like it
yeah I'm not saying do it all the time ut it's fuckin handy
here is me using SSH to run a SBC just to play relaxing music
SBCs are great for that becasue they don't make any noise themselves unless the charger is shit and whiny

Physically repulsive.

Panicked for a second. Turns out Ctrl+Alt+F8 was my shortcut for getting back to X.

Wah wah, it looks nice and I don't end up wasting 3 hours of time ricing.

yeah I remembered F7 wasn't it
wew tho

Just install MATE, you mongoloid.

I have a home file server running Armbian off a Cubietruck. It has Transmission, FTP, SSH and Samba support, and sometimes a web server if I feel like messing around with it. I can queue up torrents with Transmission and let it torrent away without keeping my PC or laptop on all night. It's also great for file backup, and sharing over multiple devices.
SBCs make hosting any kind of server really convenient, especially with their low power draw. My setup draws around 20W at most, and half of that is due to the 3.5 inch hard drive. I used to run a Minetest server off an Odroid XU4 but it got taken over by Russian kids

this is not bad advice

Try Budgie if you get the chance. It's pretty much GNOME done right, and it's nice and stylish.

Is there a window manager that has tabs?

wait your serve is a SBC?
very nice user, I've often toyed with replacing my garage computer VM ownCloud server with a chip SBC and attached storage, the only thing really stopping me is that the C.H.I.P. is wireless only, that's no way to have a server

what SBC do you use for your server, does it have Ethernet?

Why would I? I already use this on a daily basis and I could just switch over to LXDE if I wanted.

What's so wrong with GNOME?

Huh, alright I'll check it out.

Woops, that was meant for him.

it's not great advice either
sure check but make sure it's what you want user

Why not just use workspaces? Embed related.

If you actually like GNOME 3, fine. I just find it an eyesore. Plus it lacks a lot of config options that GNOME 2 had.

BLOAT
I NEVER GET A CHANCE TO CALL BLOAT AND THAT IS BLOAT user

Reported

I enjoy tabs like pic related

one of the things I hate about mint tbh

but why

I use a Cubietruck. It's made by a Chinese company called Cubietech, which used to make some pretty good SBCs. Their newer stuff isn't worth it, because they started making SBCs before checking whether the community could support them. It's got gigabit ethernet, 2GB RAM and an Allwinner A20 chipset. The reason I use it is because of it's secondary board, which acts as a PSU and supplies 12V for a 3.5 inch hard drive as well as enough power to drive the board itself.

If you're looking for a SBC now the good ones are the Olimex Lime2 A20 and Odroid C1+ or C2. Olimex make really sturdy, industrial boards with open specs, and Hardkernel's Odroid series are compatible with RasPi's form factor while being much more powerful. Both the Olimex and Odroid boards have Gigabit ethernet.
If you want more power check out the Odroid XU4. It's more expensive, but has 4x2GHz cores, 4x1.4GHz cores, 2GB RAM and USB3. It uses active cooling though, and it's fan is loud as fuck, so if you get one get the passive blue heatsink to go with it.

meme

?

Use something besides Nemo then, like Thunar.

user an i3 isn't toaster tech

user I don't want to spend over 20 dollars
what do you think of these?
board-db.org/search.php?advanced=1&q=&ram_min=1025&cpu_speed_min=&cpu_cores=&price_min=&price_max=20&storage_min=&gpio_min=&usb_min=&type=&lan=on&lan_speed=100&order=rating&order_d=d

scratch that, price is not listed

will give it a try at a later date

Linux is the ps4 of OSs

Looking forward to all of those amazing windows 10 games, user?

WEW

You don't want to cheap out much with SBCs, there are a lot of really shitty ones out there. As a rule of thumb stay away from anything by Lemaker and Sinovoip, and Orange Pi is only okay at best.
If you want cheaper, Allwinner A10 boards are pretty decent. Try the Olimex Lime A10 or Cubieboard 1. A used RasPi would work too, but they put all 4 USB ports and the ethernet jack on one USB2 socket internally, so it will bottleneck horribly.

But the PS4 runs BSD, not Linux

Also to add to the SBC stuff, stay away from the Pine A64 for now. They're still working out drivers for it. You'll have a real shit time trying to get it to work if you get it now.

holy fuck
pls explain?
I'm talking purely Ethernet and a single USB here for probably 50GB cloud, maybe more depending on HDD
will look into those

I've tried KDE about a year ago, and it was a bit too unstable for my taste. Promptly went back to XFCE. XFCE is far from perfect, but right now it's the closest match to my wants and needs.

The Orange Pi guys release stuff then wait on the community to support it. They usually stick to easier things at least, so they get support fairly quickly. The build quality is a bit iffy, but usually still work fine. They're one of the better Chinese SBC devs, especially when companies like Sinovoip exist.
If you want a cheap SBC, the Orange Pi One is really cheap and gets the job done. It's also well supported by Armbian, the biggest distro community for SBCs. Downsides are that it doesn't take a USB charger, so you need to get one separately. Also you'll probably have to connect an external drive through USB, but at least using the USB port won't throttle the ethernet connection.

Their main distributors are in China, so you'll need to order from Aliexpress.
aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-One-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-and-Compatible-with-Raspberry-Pi-2/32603308880.html

like an attachment or I need to provide my own USB phone charger, because that's not a big deal at all

oh I see, you meant like this
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-PC-SET13-Orange-Pi-PC-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-16GB-Class-10Micro-SD/1553371_32676618481.html

or more like this
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-Set-3-Orange-Pi-One-Transparent-ABS-Case-USB-to-DC-4-0MM/1553371_32640565321.html

Pretty much. That second set looks like a good deal too.

thanks user, I think I'll be getting one of those, it meets the spec for owncloud as far as I can tell

Yes user, you read that correctly.

OPi One is a cute little board. I have one running 24/7 as my home server. The build quality is not the best (the board has a slight curve), but that's inconsequential. It's cheap, it's well-designed, and it works. Just keep in mind that you have to use Armbian if you want everything to work properly. Also, a heatsink wouldn't hurt. The H3 processor can get pretty hot under load.

well, do you think a server that syncs occasionally is gonna have a heavy load?

no

pcmanfm has tabs too

I don't use wobbly windows, or even the desktop cube. I was just trying to find a video that easily demonstrated the concept of workspaces.

Oh. That's not a window manager, user, that's a file browser. And most Linux distributions come with file browsers that support tabs. I've gotten so used to it that I can't stand using file browsers that lack tabbing, including Windows' default one.

Oh, does the one that comes with mint have tabs?

Yes.

makeuseof.com/tag/install-proprietary-graphics-drivers-ubuntu-fedora-linux/
fam

More like garbage. I hate OpenSuse because of that thing.

They keep fucking with Gnome, removing features, making it Mac 2.0, integrating online services and whatnot. It sucks

You have it hooked up to a speaker?

I'm looking for one to do TV streaming (why invest in lots of power if I can stream from my existing PC) and I have no need for a dedicated firewall or router. Thing is, most are so expensive, you might as well buy an full-blow x86_64 PC.

Anybody got the link to drive file where anons put their pawns info? Just installed DDDA after the sale and I'm looking to hire some pawns and add my own.

Since I am retarded, can somebody help me out here.

How on earth do I get Dwarf Fortress working properly on linux?

Openindiana or any UNIX not under a cuck license Gaming when

SteamOS
:^)

This meme needs to die.

I'm sure the same could be said of all religions.

Second Life is best linux game use firestorm viewer.

yeah man, C.H.I.P. is pretty low power tho so streaming is a probably no, barely loads 2 tabs really
I haven't tried running straight video on it tho

Xfce > LXDE > MATE > KDE > Cinnamon >GNOME > Unity > Your i3 with gaps and an animu wallpaper

What a qt

although they're both pretty good if i have to install a de over a simple wm

Aren't they doing away with LXDE and Razor-QT for LXQT? Would be nice to have a lightweight QT-based DE.
There's also Lumina, which the BSD guys are working on. It seems good so far for a light DE.

bruh take it back

I use i3 with no gaps default config and a holocaust memorial wallpaper :^)

Is this ranked by amount of resources needed? I actually like Cinnamon but have been using Xfce on Mint because the computer I run linux on is an old HP Pavilion.

I wish KDE wasn't a bloated clunky mess because they have the best DE mascot.

Vanilla wow runs flawlessly with very little configuration, only need to install WINE and right click the exe and click "run with wine". You also have to change "directX" to "OpenGL" in some ini file or something to make the textures work better but that shouldn't be hard to figure out

then you can play nostalrius

It's going to be an offline PC for the most part once I get everything installed and working.

Bretty good but you know KDE is better than MATE. Xfce has matured to the point now that GNOME and MATE are both inferior meme-tier substitutes for it.

Anyone else run into this problem before? A game that used to work perfectly on a particular WINE version on *ubuntu 14.04 now doesn't work at all on *ubuntu 16.04 using that same WINE version. Really pisses me off.

That's a rather vague issue, are you using playonlinux to manage your wine version?

Yeah. For some reason the Canonical repositories are still using the same ancient native WINE version for the past 3 years now.

first of all linux is not a complete replacement to windows. if youve never used linux before linux mint is a good first start, as is ubuntu. wine is not perfect but will probably be servicable for your needs. if you have an amd gpu you will basically be stuck with opensource drivers but they are good. if nvidia, you will actually get proprietary drivers that work just as well as windows.

learn how to use playonlinux, i cannot recommend it as i am satisfied with the console utilities, but its a gui so probably easier. if you plan on playing windows steam games, steam linux wont even let you download them. you will need to install windows steam in a wineprefix ie; through playonlinux. and this steam windows client is nothing more than serviceable, most shit wont actually work but youll be able to download and play your game

other than this mess i think its usable now as an alternative and you might enjoy it just know, it is different and there is a learning curve

you don't want to do this, that probably wont work with wine. not because there is a requirement to always be online but because different games require different system libraries. for example, if you are on 64bit system and want to play 32bit windows games, you will need to first create a 32bit wineprefix (playonlinux maybe deals with this), then install 32bit versions of all the software it needs. it may or may not already be installed though, just a forewarning. if you are missing something it will spit out errors in console

That's even stranger, what kind of error do you get?

ive been using unity recently and like it a lot
XFCE4 > Unity > Mate > Openbox = i3 > Cinnamon > Fluxbox > CDE > >>>> >>> Gnome3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KDE5

just lol

I literally have the exact same setup on another computer and it runs perfectly. The only difference is Xubuntu 14.04 vs Xubuntu 16.04.

I was actually just thinking about giving nostalrius a try. Not sure if I can get the game to run well on my laptop though.

At least there's always TTY

I'll get all of the different libraries installed that I need before I quit using the internet for it. But I definitely plan on it being an offline focused build, I barely browse the internet and I hate multiplayer.

Playing E.Y.E. via WINE on Play On Linux is fun, m8's

so Spectraball had a loonix port and is on sale IIRC

but the real question is:
Why are virtually all marble-based vidya so comfy?

it has a better theme mate

yeah
you can see me streaming your mom over at WWW(dot)TWITCH(dot)TV/COOLGUY2006

marble blast ultra is freeware and it is the coziest. works well on linux with wine

Also if I remember correctly, you only need a powerful processor for decoding a media stream that has been heavily encoded

so if you're using a simple encode, say maybe xvid or mov or older codecs, you probably won't need as much CPU to run it, but will need more disk space
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_codecs#Codecs_list

Ubuntu because it was the first one to jest werk with my laptop's dock.

So I'm not the only one autistic enough to document the shit I do. Hooray!

yeah buddy, not only that, but I'm gonna set up a git lab soon in case I suffer a catastrophic loss on all of my computers
somehow this shit feels more important than the terrabytes of anime and cartoons I have saved

How well does Elona play through Wine?

I still use a fucking teletype get on my level

Spirituality and discrimination can be reduced by turning parts of the brain off. You are brain damaged.

citation needed.

Please don't derail this, guys.

AHÍ VA LA HOSTIA

I can forgive using Ubuntu, but not using LXDE is unforgivable.

He was quoting Symphony of the Night you fuckface.

Magnets > God

Was meant for

Prepare for a bunch of replies faggots

have fun with your impossible to uninstall game because you don't know where all of the shit it installed went to

Yeah, have fun not having enough
performance to run the fucking compositor let alone a game

It's shit, it doesn't work yet. Only game i have seen it working with was overwatch and you'll have to use a GIT version to have them

They are though, no idea why it says open source but the proprietary nvidia driver is called NVIDIA, and the open source one is called nouveau

DO ANY OF YOU NIGGER FAGGOTS KNOW HOW TO RECONFIGURE A GAMEPAD FOR WINE

I just wanna play MOTHERFUCKING darksouls without booting to windows, and my ps2 adapter worked perfectly in windows, but it's being a bitch in wine. Start is attack, B is pause. Shit like that. Joystick didn't do shit. I just wanna play this game before the semester starts up again and all my days are hell.

rebind your keys in game

if all else fails you could try qjoypad to map your gamepad keys and joystick axis to keyboard keys and mouse axis

it's not the most elegant solution but a decent enough fallback

He doesn't use icewm

KDE did literally nothing wrong

I avoided making my gamepad work like a keyboard because it's the clunkiest thing ever for looking around. I just reinstalled everything and oddly enough the contorls are almost acceptable. Triangle uses item, square dodges, X interacts with world. The only oddities are Select is target and Pressing the right thumbstick down opens the menu.

I got sick of ricing window manager type setups. Xfce can be gotten going in a short time and is flexible enough.

Had a few fuck arounds with Linux over the years that usually ended in paniced re-installing of Windows. Baby friendly version ones do exist but remember if you do fuck around, and you're likely too, you're probably bound to break something. I'd advise keeping a notebook because you'll google shit and type it into the console and probably not remember a goddamn thing about it next week when you have a further issue.

Windows is really the only way to play vidya op. Wine is a major timesink when it doesn't just work (most cases) and there aren't many things that run natively on linux. You either dual boot, or if you are somewhat adept at using linux and have the right hardware, you can set up a windows vm with gpu passthrough that can run games with almost native performance.

vfio.blogspot.hu/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html
This is a good place to start. I've been using linux for about 5 years and this took me a week to set up, but it was well worth it. Everything except vidya runs on the linux host os and i can switch the monitor back and forth between linux and windows using a hdmi switch.

Well, same thing happens with winblows. Imagine what would happen if you did everything you saw in the interwebz when you type in "how to make computa go fastah" on google

see the following

write the shit you care about down and share or use it later

See guys?
Linux is so easy to use even grandmas can rice it!

Use Antimicro.

Yo user, can ya share what kind of monitor you got going on? I'm intrigued.

Still? They fixed The Meat Circus, didn't they?

no it's the ps2

Is there a decent guide somewhere? I've tried getting this shit working in the past with no success.

Goddamn, mint is ugly. What are you faggots using, cinnamon? I know I saw some KDE up there too

Whats wrong with cinnamon?

It's ugly as hell. LXDE/LXQt are way better looking, nice pale, small windows and no clashing, cluttered taskbar.

Yeah but cinnamon is way easier to say than an obscure arrangement of consonants.

But is it linux, or gnu/linux? The kernel by itself is useless

I guess, but who are you talking to about linux?

I don't have a single icon on it, whats ugly about it?

I use MATE with the Mint-X theme. It's pretty enough.

It's a distro called Kondara MNU/Linux, based off Red Hat. Linux kernel 2.2.1, Windowmaker desktop which is one of the best WMs out there even now, GNU stuff.
distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kondara
They released it so they could claim the PS2 as a personal computer, rather than a games console. I've heard this is to dodge taxes, but I don't know if that was successful.

He was trying to derail the thread, not asking a sincere question.

what about multilayer games? …

You have friends? faggot

Disgusting. I bet you have friends, too.

ShiggyDiggyDoo fam

You deserve what you wrought but I'm glad you learned a valuable life lesson

So that's what happened…

kys

Single-player modes and games are the only ones worth playing, fam.

Well for starters…

It's a piece of shit Windows Vista/7 clone, that's what's wrong with it. I switched to Linux to get away from insulting dumbed down bullshit Microsoft starting pulling at Vista.

You could be using a glorious pipe menu to browse your files and ditch the file manager launcher.

haha computarlyfe.

when you have so little to do that you do shit that you dont actually want to do to burn time. like me now i suppose.

Tell me a single good game that doesn't fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD

is that taeyeon?

Nice digits and waifu.

There he goes again. But you really can't expect anything good to come of a Linux thread on Holla Forums when just mentioning it too many times in a normal thread triggers the cancer.

You can remove everything to the right. I think you can change the button to any image, too.

Recently finished playing native port of Life is Strange on my Gentoo desktap. Good shit.

poof

i got deus ex working with wine ebin :– D D D

NO GAMES

Haha nice one, what's next? Funny Women?

Enjoy your repetitive, boring and scripted games where nothing new or interesting ever happens

1/10 made me reply

DRM free games

I would really like an SBC to play around with. I was considering an ODROID-C2 because it's getting a Lakka (Retroarch's official Linux Distribution) port soon, but I also don't like playing muh old games via HDMI. Is there an lakka (or any derivative) SBC with old A/V or composite video connections so I can hook it up to my TV?

Brianna Wu's pretty funny if you ask me.

The C2 has composite video out, but it's on an unused pin. It's the one just under the HDMI port in the pic, labelled CBMS. That's the equivalent to the yellow wire in composite. If you solder a header pin to that and connected it to the middle prong of your yellow composite wire it should send a video signal. As for support in software people managed to get it to work on the C1+, so it can't be that different. Should just be editing a file to tell it to output there.
I don't know if it does something similar for audio, but even if it doesn't you can use a USB sound card with the correct ports, or usb -> 3.5mm jack and split it yourself.
There are other SBCs with composite out, but even there it's relegated to a pin. Also those SBCs use a smaller header spacing, so they're more difficult to work with. The original Pi had composite out but they replaced it with the headphone jack for the later versions, and I don't know if that still has the signal.

Enjoy your short, repetitive and boring games where you can't pause, where skill ceilings are deliberately neutered, and where you have to interact with the scum of humanity.

Pic related.

Thanks a lot for the info.
I just wanted something comfy to play NES/SNES/Genesis/Arcade games on an old CTR TV other than a Wii, as I want to use any fucking USB pad or Arcade Stick I would want.

Rate

At least they feel more like games than whatever singleplayer interactive story under easy gameplay coating.

r8

Minimal/10

macos wins again

If there were better Thinkpads that had better screens, I would get one.

But alas, the only ones with better screens are dark TN bullshit or just ruined designs in general

Yeah but he's "free"

Get a Latitude or Precision laptop next

Cinnamon with debian.
It's pretty stable.

Why in the world would someone install linux?

Look boys, if you're going to have your little neckbeard circlejerk of a dead-on-arrival OS, please remember to keep it at the bottom of the catalogue by clicking the little sage box before you post.

Windows 7 a best

Windows just works to the point even someone with IQ inferior to 90 can use it and Linux/BSD can do all the UNIX things Mac can do.

Macs and OS X have no reason to exist other than ripping off money.

Macs are for fags and foreigners

Windows never crashes for me. It's been years.
Linux fucks up at every opportunity.

Don't even reply

This

Mac users are generally lower IQ than even Windows users. If something breaks on their computer, instead of googling it, they take it to the Apple """"""""Genius"""""""""

cute/10

You're writing off a huge swathe of games, from Pong to Vanquish to Dwarf Fortress to Dragon's Dogma. I hate interacting with people, so I tend not to play multiplayer games. There's no single complaint you could have that would reasonably justify swearing off all single-player games. If you're so desperate to interact with other people, fine, but that's not something I seek out.

Nothing like typing on molten lava!

You don't even need to interact on multiplayer games, some games can let you hide chat and disable voice, or even play with bots if you don't want to interact.
And that's not even my fucking point, i never said i wanted to interact with people, i just said that most games designed for singleplayer have shit that disrupts gameplay, like tutorials that can't be skipped, and on multiplayer games there are lots of ways to get shit done, killing a few retarded AIs the way the game dictates you will never feel as good as wiping a team full of human players with style.

I don't know what you do to your laptops to make them feel like "typing on molten lava," but you're probably doing something wrong.

You could at least change some colors

But why? The blue is already IBM blue which matches my thinkpad

Maybe I could make some parts red to match with the trackpoint button highlights

What if my i3 does not have gaps nor an anime wallpaper?

I think his line of thought is that laptops will heat up because omg linux is shitty meme os lol xDDDD