Getting into JRPG titles(?)

Let me preface everything:

I grew up in a home with six sisters, I was the only guy since I had no father and my parents were lesbians. Most of the time my sisters watched anime or played some Final Fantasy knock-off, while I either read Alien vs. Predator comics or played UT2k4.

The discussions at the dinner table were either about fucking fashion or a fucking JRPG game that was up-and-coming. And eventually, I was so turned off by the genre, I vowed to never touch a single RPG from japan as long as I lived. However, since RPGs from the west have turned into a colossal fuckup, I'm desperately looking for something new.
I've considered getting into the Tales series as a lot of people speak pretty highly of them. Also, a lot of fucking cunts are praising the new Final Fantasy as "passable", which I'm guessing means its better than Ass Effect 3 or any of the shit that's been spewed from western devs in the last decade.
Is there a place I should start and work from, or was I right to avoid these types of games?

shameless self promotion.

If you are indeed actually new to JRPGs, I'll post some pasta I wrote in a few minutes if you want it.

As for Tales, I really enjoy them myself, though some are easier to get into than others, and a few like Abyss are prone to being really love it or hate it. The games have real time combat and generally offer a good amount of content and enjoyable character interactions (optional scenes called skits provide additional dialogue, characterization, and world building), but if you abhor anime they might not be for you. They're also some of the few JRPGs with co-op combat as an option (the console entries anyhow, Phantasia SFC and Legendia aside). Tales in geneal used to see very frequent discussion back on halfchan some years back, though discussion here is a lot less prevalent for whatever reason (maybe due to having a lot of PC users here and very few Tales games with PC ports? Just my thoughts).

Also going to take a moment to mention that, for any JRPG fans reading this thread later down the line, Glory of Heracles IV now has a 1.0 English fan translation release, so the whole series is now in English.

Try out Chrono Trigger for the snes it's pretty short and a good place to start. PSX/PS2 emulation is pretty good and those had a fuck ton of jrpg titles.

holy shit I thought situations like these are just Holla Forums horror stories

I aint reading op's blog.
Are there any JRPGs with real time combat and without random encounters/screen transitions?
You know, whether you fight monsters right there in the field in real time, but still being JRPG with stats, gay parties, gimmicks and all that.

FF12

The World Ends With You

I played that and Xenoblade.
That's not what I call real time, it's more of a target combat, not unlike what we have in mmos.

I played that too, pretty sure there were transition screen. That ruined the game for me, same with Raidou series.

Then what are you asking for, an action RPG? Play Kingdom Hearts or Neptunia U

Fuck it, dumping pasta then, with some slight appendings from what I had written last time.

If you want some decent starting places, consider Final Fantasy VI (IV, V, and VII are also rather well liked), Dragon Quest (III, IV, and V tend to be fan favorites), Paper Mario (both the N64 and Gamecube ones; also Super Mario RPG for the SNES, though it’s not quite the same), Mario and Luigi (especially Superstar Saga on the GBA), and Chrono Trigger for Turn-based/ATB systems, and Tales of Eternia/Symphonia/Vesperia (playing through most of the localized games in the series, those have struck me as good starting points) and some of the Mana games if you want real time combat. Also plenty of other series (Baten Kaitos, Breath of Fire, Grandia, Legend of Heroes, Lost Kingdoms, Lufia, Lunar, Mother, Phantasy Star, SaGa, Shadow Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Wild Arms, etc), as well as standalone games (Infinite Space, Lagrange Point, Radiant Historia, Rogue Galaxy, Skies of Arcadia, Vagrant Story, Xenoblade, Xenogears, etc) if you find yourself liking them. That’s not to say that you have to follow a particular order for getting started either, just that some might be easier to get into as someone newly looking into them, than someone that already enjoys them

Big thing to keep in mind is that there's a lot to pick from (even more if you're willing to look beyond the mainstream for more niche franchises like Atelier and Ar Tonelico, or go for fan-translated ones as well, as JRPGs are popular to patch into English, even if they can take a damn long time to translate due to script size), and even if one particular series or gameplay style doesn't do it for you, try another one rather than writing them all off.

That’s also not taking into account the swath of tactical JRPGs as well: Dept. Heaven, Disgaea (as well as various other NIS tactical games like Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and Soul Nomad), Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Langrisser & Growlanser, Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Super Robot Wars to name some.

Tales has real time combat, and a number of entries (mostly the 3D ones) have on the field encounters, albeit with screen transitions (Zesteria aside, I think). Fun series. Xenoblade has all three: real time combat, on field encounters, and no screen transitions. Some do complain about it being MMO-esque though.

FFXV, but you're a faggot for not being able to handle transition screens.

Are your sisters in your harem now?

Just play Falcom games. For pure JRPG, get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter. For something a little more action-y play Ys: The Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin, then play Gurumin. If you want to try Final Fantasy, play the SNES trilogy and maybe FF7, but I want to stress that the entire series is only average aside from some of the music. If you want more JRPGs, look into Game Arts titles like Lunar and Grandia, which are generally better than the best FF titles.

Your taste is shit and you should kill yourself

Also OP, I got to agree with . What the fuck happened in your family? You can't just say that and not explain further.

I should also add that, at least as of the entries developed with 7th gen in mind, screen transitions in Tales is pretty fast. Graces f in particular seemed really damn fast in going from route (that sure isn't an overworld if you ask me) to combat screen.

Too bad Lunar had Working Designs handle the English versions, and given how divided people are in general from what I've seen (I used to see people years back on halfchan praising them for "spicing things up" from the actual scripts in the games they localized), they'll likely never see full retranslations to be more accurate to the original script unless some devoted fan goes full autism on it (autism over something not being inherently bad). Part of why I've still sadly got them as being somewhat low priority on my backlog, despite having a CFW PSP with both Lunar 1 and 2 on it already.

I can't get into it, but it seems like a pretty fun action-platformer-RPG. There's a 3DS version for anyone who wants to play on the go.

Still crazy that they exist, though. No wonder so many millennials are fucked in the head

The best FF is 5, which has better mechanics and music but worse pacing and story than Lunar. It's sort of a draw. It beats every other FF game, though.

It already had a portable version with the PSP (which also works with the Vita if memory serves; pretty sure it had a digital release as well as a physical one).

I remember reading about that game a while back. I still own Chrono Cross for the PS1 I got for my birthday nearly 16 years ago, but never even bothered to open it. Might give it a try.

My moms were pretty cool, my sisters were and are all fucking nuts.
I was the youngest
Thinking about the hell I had to go through gives me PTSD

Yeah, I remember a friend of mine loved Dragon Quest. I still have a PS2 from way back in the day and could get into it with no problem.
Ebay is my friend for that reason.

Most still live with my moms (but pay some ridiculous rent). They often call to see if I've found a girlfriend yet.

Seen this on steam, is it worth trying out at a fair price?

were you molested by your sisters?

Well? Have you found a girlfriend yet?
On a serious note, if you want a comfy JRPG that doesn't necessarily do anything groundbreaking, Golden Sun on GBA is definitely fun. Easy to pick up and play and the characters are enjoyable without being fujo-bait.

get fucked, homogay

The Ys games are all pretty great, and they regularly go on sale for deep discounts. They're also on GOG if you prefer DRM-free. Unfortunately, I think all the holiday sales are finished by now.

That's simply not true anymore. Same with figures that 16% of the US is black or 4% of Germany is Arab. The numbers you find aren't true if you take a fucking step outside, CTR.

You should try it after Trigger you little shit

Nice dubs, but no.

Shopping for clothes took forever, but I looked fresh as fuck.
I was also a test subject for fucking everything, including makeup, dresses and "cosplay". At the end of the day, though, I learned how to hide my acne throughout high school.

I also learned why you should never fucking get into a relationship. Just don't do it. Dying alone is better. Women are thoroughly fucked up

I'll check out GoG. Thanks.

Dragon Quest VIII is generally quite chap these days too; part of a a number of PS2 JRPGs that are still pretty cheap alongside the likes of FFX and X-2 (especially cheap and low demand due to the HD rerelease), Wild Arms 2, Okage, Star Ocean TTEOT, and Xenosaga Episode I. Dragon Quest VIII does see some flack these days over the western release running worse than the Japanese one, and starting the cancerous trend of accentin the fuck out of subsequent Dragon Quest games (though VIII does at least have them as voiced accents instead of text only). Anyhow, hopefully that pasta helps a bit. There's a whole bunch of JRPGs out there, and plenty of which still Japan only for whatever reason.

Here's these as well if you have interest in Wild Arms or Shadow Hearts; the latter is still unfinished because by friend is still being too lazy to help edit and trim some of my autism from them so they're not just walls of text.

>>>/ss/
>>>/trap/
>>>/femdom/

A thing you should know about JRPGs is that it's a very loose and broad term. It mainly describes how a game flows instead of how it plays now. One thing that is constant is starts and builds. As in how you develop your character.

Tales series are Action RPGs. Your success in combat depends on stats, strategy, and how good you can perform the roll your character is playing. Tales and Star Ocean games share very similar gameplay while something like Ys could be considered a Action Adventure/RPG. Star Ocean 2 is considered one of the best in the series. As for Tales, it's a mixed bag between Eternia, Vesperia, Destiny Remake (JP only) and Graces F (god tier gameplay, everything else is mediocre). Start with the older games and work your way up. If you're going to play Phantasia, then go for the PSX version and avoid the GBA and IOS version.

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest could be considered Light RPGs. They're very on rails and don't allow for much exploration through most of the game with the exception of Dragon Quest III. They're very story heavy usually but FF puts more effort into their plot and setting (especially the later games) than Dragon Quest which tries to be familiar. For FF, you don't get that much character/class customization unless it's 3, 5, and 12 IZJS. For Dragon Quest you don't get much class customization unless it's 3, 6, 9, and 10.

Then we have Tactical RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission, and Disgaea. But these are getting a little far from traditional JRPGs but know that some people would consider them JRPGs.

Besides all of that. To get into the genre I would recommend Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest III, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Suikoden 2, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. All should be easy to emulate and each of them are fantastic games for different reasons.

Stop.
Never, ever, ever go there.

Shame you can't really discuss Golden Sun these days beyond the English script changes NoA made and >tfw no Golden Sun 4.

are your sisters blood-related with you?

Three of them are, the other three aren't.

Say, I had Golden Sun back on the gba a while ago. Then again, I was a kid and didn't realize it was a JRPG.
Don't remember much about it.

Were you adopted, or was one of your mom artificially inseminated? Just blogpost your entire life story already you fucking faggot

My heart goes out to you, how the fuck did you survive.

I always found the script odd when I was younger. Only to see how fucked the script actually was and why many found it so overly verbal. They probably milked the shit out of how long it took to localize it to give everyone more "flavor". Lines that should have been 2 sentences became paragraphs.

Saying that, the script for The Thousand Year Door wasn't bad. Pretty charming in fact. No clue if that was an actual good translator (who could replace kanji puns with decent humor) or staying more true to the original script.

Play Panzer Dragoon Saga, very unique combat system, excellent soundtrack and a very refreshing story.

Video Games

I am sure if I personally gather data on this figure I would find it quite the contrary to shit you look up online. Stop believing what the authorities tell you, it's much worse than what you think. That is unless you aren't a part of the globalist scheme to begin with.

The cause of retarded millennia is fathers not being male role models, estrogen in the water, bpa in the plastics, and social conditioning promoting homosexuality.

Play Ys

I've always taken JRPG to be more a simple "region of origin" notifier, rather than symbolize a gameplay or thematic style. Same with WRPG. You can append those with a number of different other terms to better characterize the sort of game they are.

Not odd considering Tri-Ace was made up of ex-WolfTeam members that were angry at Namco over the changes Namco forced for Tales of Phantasia.

It's a pretty simple, if nicely sprited/animated game. Good music too. The game was basically split into two due to earlier cartridge limitations or something, making it one game for the price of two (with the second half releasing two years later). However, this allowed for something really neat that probably couldn't be pulled off otherwise: Having seperate games allows a perspective switch, as The Lost Age sees you playing as Felix instead of Isaac, and getting an understanding of what his group has been doing and why. The games are pretty verbose though, and djinn and summon spam make most shit fairly easy.

If you still have problems with this "shave" - only in quotes because I am genetic beardless trash but still went thru shaving ritual to cure acne - with straight razor dipped in hydrogen peroxide, it will hurt like fuck and cure your acne

So you're a cultist with daddy issues making a poor attempt at emulating your father figure daddy moneyjew?
sage for Holla Forumsshit

I should find the lost age, then.

Also need to play through the original game again too. Might even be a decent starting point.

I'm not sure if it would have been to milk money for changes to be made. Some companies, like Working Designs, seem to have considered the original scripts for games they worked with to be bland, and opted to add more flavor (IE: rewrite instead of translate). I would assume the actual translators do their fucking job, and that it;s more the editors responsible for warping the scripts (as well as censorship), and the higher ups for allowing said changes.

Unfortunately, Viccy learned nothing and keeps on trucking with rewrites at Gaijinworks, claiming that the games they handle will have the sort of scripts that their prior customers know and love. He also defended NISA's censorship of Criminal Girls and says that he'd love to get Namco to let him bring Idolmaster over, but they'd have to censor/repurpose a good it of the content because he considers them to be pedophilia in nature.

here's some hints as to where your "arguments" are:
I miss when Holla Forums wasn't a thinly veiled cult.

There doesn't need to be one. Why the fuck do you globalist tools bring this up constantly? There is the case that authorities aren't keeping track with the epidemics that are destroying western society just as they destroyed rome ages ago.

I heard there are some bosses in that game which are fucking impossible to beat.

Delete your posts before you go. Bad enough the OP wrote his life's story thinking it wouldn't attract Holla Forums.

No, I just beat it yesterday. Bit of a short game too. Just below 15 hours for me.

I don't even give half a shit about OP he's always a faggot anyway so what difference does it make :^) but there are some hardcore fucking retards in this thread like OP for spilling his life story in front of a bunch of hungry birds and expecting it not to get picked apart and all the retards spamming old as fuck 4chon-/r9k/ memes rebranded as Holla Forums memes

Is Eternal Sonata any good? I'm thinking about picking it up soon.

I will say this: Pokemon aside (it counts as a JRPG), Golden Sun and Golden Sun: TLA were my first JRPGs myself, followed by Tales of Symphonia and Chrono Trigger. Golden Sun worked well enough as a decent starting point (to the point I've really dug into looking into what I've missed out on) and has some neat twists, but they're really not that deep in story or combat (the dungeon and town Psynergy puzzles are enjoyable, and integrate combat spells with exploration, for better or worse. You do get a solid 40-50 hours between both games though, and TLA allows you to carry save data from Golden Sun over to it for use later in the game (this was done via link cable or passwords that could get INCREDIBLY long, depending on how much you wanted to carry over). Not real sure how emulation would handle it, whether it can simulate the link cable and have both game files open at once, or if you'd have to password that shit.

The pair of them are among my go-to "sick day" games for when I don't feel like playing anything else that needs more of my attention, and I keep a spare save file on my cart of TLA so I never have to retransfer data again (having all 72 djinn between both games unlocks a bonus dungeon in TLA).

have you played FF7?

you should be banned tbqh, fuck off

OP story would be a great incest american lewd comic

Dragon quest X

I've heard decent things about it before, but you might want to do some research into it, as I don't see it brought up that much. PS3 version is an extended release with extra content and shit if memory serves.

A bit, back when I had access to a friend's copy. Haven't beaten it though (still debating on whether it's more worth it to play it with the original English script, or the fan retranslation; either way though I mean to play the PS1 version, not the upcoming episodic remake). Really though, aside from Chrono Trigger and bits of a few of their other games here and there, I honestly haven't devoted enough time to Square's stuff (which there is a lot of to play through, and a good chunk considered to be classics if not "must plays" in the genre). It's not that I dislike what I've played either, probably more that back when I was looking to get more into JRPGs, I heard some people say that they or people they knew fell into the trap of only ever playing Square stuff, as if that was the end all, be all, pinnacle of what JRPGs were really worth playing, and considering I kept hearing good things about various other series, I didn't want to fall into that same trap myself. Probably why I've spent more time looking into less popular, smaller series first (I just don't want to miss out on a potentially really good game/series), as well as why it annoys me to look through older coverage of stuff (sometimes it's neat to see what a game was received like at the time of release compared to today) and seeing less popular series like Wild Arms declared as just "filler" to bigger fish JRPGs, as if that series has no merit next to Square's stuff.

The problem with nip is a lot of the language is contextual, and where you might think they're just saying the same 5 words in response to everything, contextually you can get a slightly different meaning from them. This is the source of most translators being able to write in English the varying phrases that we use in each context(Nice to meet you, let's get started), but some take it a bit further to remove the same-y feel that a non-nip speaker would feel from these situation. In a way, I don't blame them for making it read better, and I personally enjoyed Golden Sun's English version. On the other hand, it's not exactly a 1:1 transliteration which is frustrating to some people. Some personalities are changed slightly, though in at least one instance there is an explanation for it. Some of the retranslated lines I've seen do flow better, but that's the beauty of having a bunch of free time and not knowing about the text limitations that you might need to fill. On a timeline and being told possibly strict requirements, you can get some awkward wording.

tl;dr Learn nip if you want the source, but don't be surprised if some nip authors are just as shit as the western authors.

Poor translation is a pretty big pet peeve of mine. Well, that and censoring. Things are usually better when accurately translated. Fan-translated stuff is usually more accurate. This is why Japanese audio with English text is usually better. English dubs of JP games are usually absolutely terrible.

Yeah, while I don't know moon myself, in fiddling with google translate to see what certain things say in fan art, there does seem to be a case of a number of different phrases being able to come out as the same damn thing translated in English, despite clearly being written differently.

As far as the process of localization goes, I think it really needs o be handled in a balanced way: make sure the text flows well in English and isn't overly literal (note that "accurate" doesn't have to mean literal; I think XSEED's stated process of taking a line, determining what the actual message is and the tone it's being said in, and then writing it in English from scratch is valid) and substitute Japan specific jokes/figures of speech that don't transfer into English well directly for equivalents (though it can be argued for something like Persona, leaving them as is and including translator's note somehow would be ideal), but DON'T meme, censor, change shit because you can, etc. Give fans the complete game as intact as absolutely possible. Unfortunately some groups like 8-4, NISA, NoA, Treehouse, and whoever the fuck has been handling Square's stuff lately, either haven't gotten the memo or simply don't give a fuck, and their cancerous ideology spreads.

At this point, I'm not sure what's worse: keep those tumors alive so the bulk of their shit is concentrated there, or them going under (as they deserve), but spilling out like pus from a ruptured boil onto the entire rest of the industry. Because I HIGHLY doubt they'd just pack up and vanish if their cancer hives went belly up.

Basically, anything that American game companies touch will be ruined in some way.

Nobody in the history of complaining about shit localizations has ever come anywhere near saying they want Japanese words written in the Roman alphabet. Even someone fluent in moon would have no clue what to make of a transliteration because Japanese is so hard to understand without kanji. There is absolutely fuck zero market for a game with a transliteration instead of a translation.
What people actually want is not a direct translation of the words, but a direct translation of the meaning of the words (pic related). If the words themselves change, nobody cares. That's the point of a good translation. Words change, but meaning doesn't.

Parasite Eve 2.
Xenoblade Chronicles.
Fatal Labyrinth.

so many sisters… Were you ever sexually bullied and or tortured?
i need to know it for socio scientific reasons

Generally, yeah, fan-translations are more in the spirit of accurate translations without memes and censorship. I've only encountered one game that I've actively been uncomfortable with the English dub and that's Cross Edge. Stephanie Sheh as Morrigan is disturbing, not alluring/playful.

NoA doesn't seem to be fucking awful, but since they started using Treehouse, they've been garbage-tier rewriting personalities. I do agree with you though, XSEED translating the spirit of the message is nice enough for me.

I want them to go under and have companies force them to conform the the higher standard of not fucking forcing memes in. Course, if they listen to anonymous polls that Holla Forumstards spam, we'll get nothing but memes.

I've read a few people here and on other sites actually prefer the literal version of things, including that image, because it's "more accurate". I understand the whole point, though.

Literal translation only works when many many cultural references are explained. That's okay, but it's a lot more natural to use English expressions that are equivalent in meaning. But still use the cultural referencing if such an expression doesn't exist.

The main problem I see with this is that it takes someone who is truly fluent in both languages to do this well.

Oh, and one other thing in regards to what I feel would be a proper localization step: It's not unprofessional to ask the developers, or even consult a wiki or fans in regards to making sure terminology is proper, especially in a case where it's an ongoing series with recurring elements (especially in the case of outright sequels). Keeping terminology the same goes a long ways, and translating something like(to use a Tales example) ファイナルプレイヤー as "Final Player" instead of "Final Prayer" (something the western fanbase long since determined) is outright laughable and makes no fucking sense.

Fan-translation is usually better, because the persion handling the translation usually has a genuine liking and care for the game, otherwise they probably wouldn't bother with doing it. Meanwhile, a localization company sees it work (or maybe in some cases, a chance to push their ideology). The trade-off being that fan-translated JRPGs take years to be finished since the person doing it dos it as a labor of love, while an official western release gets done reasonably fast due to time constraints for their paychecks. Also, some fan-translators are indeed faggots too (that guy that fan-translated Brigandine: Grand Edition cut content from the game that went against his personal beliefs or something), it's just that it seems fewer and farther between.

I also don't mind dubs too much if there's at least some effort involved (and I'm generally a bit lenient if it's an older game as well), though actually professional sounding ones are indeed appreciated. But I do figure that the original Jap dubs are usually better (same for most anime too, though a handful have fantastic English dubs; Hellsing Ultimates, for example). Chaos Wars and ARF's dubs can go right to hell though; the later had no fucking excuse, even with a shoestring English voicing budget, for a 210 localization.

Go take a listen to some samples of Chaos Wars and Arc Rise Fantasia's dubs. The former will make any Shadow Hearts fan despair (and not just in the dub quality either), and to my knowledge the latter is a downright good JRPG, being horrifically marred with a fucking terrible dub and no dual audio (fans have since made an undub patch for emulation).

Speaking of dubs, from what I know of it, the whole prompt for delving more into script differences between the Japanese and English releases for Ar Tonelico II was someone that had played the Japanese version coming the realization that the western releases had less Japanese audio lines. Now we've got a full retranslation effort on version beta 5a (and even as a beta the script is apparently better than what NISE officially gave the world), the full Japanese dub, and even content that was apparently previously in the code but unused even in the Japanese version being activated, translated, and bug tested, or something.

Ys

I've seen only 2 animes with dubs that are good enough to be considered acceptable. Hellsing Ultimate and Panty and Stockings. Almost everything else has been complete garbage. Apparently Cowboy Beepbop dub is supposed to be alright. But I watched it in Japanese.

Is it time to Deus Vult yet?

My nigger. That heartbeat is a great way to start any fight.

Cowboy Bebop's dub was pretty good if you ask me, but again, I might just have higher tolerance for them. I know a lot of people are really annoyed that Steve Blum's role as Spike got that to be the main voice anyone wanted him to do, pigeonholing him the way some other English voice actors have been, like Yuri Lowenthal and Jamieson Price (the latter of which I actually don't mind; his bombastic, booming voice is something I don't get tired of). Space Dandy was another one that felt like a really good dub job to me, though I know the show on the whole it kind of hit or miss and /a/ was asspained that the episodes aired first in English in the west prior to actually airing in Japan, forcing them to either deal with a dub for once or wait and be spoiled on episodes.

Woah nigger, back the fuck up. What the fuck?

I think once you hear the original voice work for cowboy bebop, the dub really doesn't stand up. It's passable but I think people pretend the original voice acting is bad or something.

This is a complete myth. While fans might have a genuine desire to be respectful to the source material, that has no bearing on their Japanese language proficiency. A textbook example of this is Mirror Moon's translation of Fate/Stay Night. They might have been fans, but their god fucking awful work on the translation made westerners think Nasu's writing was infinitely worse than it really is. A lot of retards say Shirou doesn't talk like a teenager and sounds way too stiff and formal. As someone who has actually read FSN in its original Japanese, I can tell you that that's horse shit. Shirou talks like any Japanese teenage boy. Mirror Moon just fucked up the dialogue bad, and people mistakenly attribute this to Nasu.

Gookanon, is that you?

how many of your sisters did you regularly bang?

You cite one example and act like that tarnishes the entire idea. Fan-translations are usually better because the people doing the translation actually give a fuck about it.

You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about this.

that is very sugoi, thank you for sharing your bento user kun

Well to be fair, I suspect a fair amount of western anime watchers are the sort that don't watch shows subbed anyhow, instead just opting for what Adultswim, Toonami, and the like put out (maybe Sci-fi as well; didn't they used to have a lineup of anime that ran on Monday nights or something years back?). For anime, I usually watch subbed myself, though there' times where either the dub is more readily available (happened recently trying to find a place with the full series of .hack//Sign), or because the dub itself is noted as actually being quite good (I have Baccano! in my backlog, and I've heard even /a/ admits that the dub there is among the best).

Yeah, I would guess that someone with actually decent knowledge of the Japanese language would be more ideal than an good-intentioned but complete novice for fan-translating, or maybe worse, machine translation (which some actual companies have been more than happily to apparently use for official releases, as is speculated happened with Namco's handling of the Gagharv trilogy, because they just couldn't give a shit).

the irritating thing about a lot of dubs is most American voice actors quite blatantly play themselves. You'll rarely ever find any range and they always line read the exact same way from show to show. You'll hear many similar voices because they're all friendly with one another and almost always end up getting on the same projects through friendly recommendation.

Wait wait what?

I cited one example because that's what examples are for, you idiot.

Aeria Games used google translate for Shin Megami Tensei Imagine and still managed to somehow be three and a half years worth of content behind the JP version when the NA server died.

Parasite Eve was a JRPG? Shit was cash as fuck back in the day.

Again, some wind up pigeonholed due to popularity of certain characters and their associated voices, so even when/if they can perform in a range, that's not what the hiring company wants, they want [X character]'s voice for the umpteenth time.

I will say that, to Namco's credit, while they might use Jamieson Price a lot, they've only had Bosch as a major character twice (Guy and Emil), and Lowenthal once (Luke). Though, I'm not delving into Radiant Mythology's dub, as they didn't bother to get back a lot of previously official English voices for characters.

Geez, how big would he script of a Japan/otherwise asian MMO compare to a JRPG, out of curiosity? And I mean on an Expansion-to-individual JRPG level (it's safe to assume that a fully expanded/patched MMO would have a script surpassing most individual games, even text heavy ones).

Unless they were doing google translate for the initial runthrough and then editing over it or something, I can't see how they'd get so far behind on just a text translation level. Seems like more the sort of delay you'd get with issues in obtaining the rights to use newer content in another region to me, but then again I'm not all that familiar with SMT Imagine, so what do I know.

Parasite Eve is one of those rare horror/JRPG mixes, alongside the likes of Koudelka. Maybe a few others.

This guy pretty much gave you all you need. I'll try to narrow it down to the "beginner" stuff
Turn-based/ATB JRPGs:
Strategy JRPGs:
Action RPGs
Tough it could be improved

Yes, friend. I experienced that which you will never have to live through.

No, it was not fun

They're all the same turn based garbage, don't bother.

There is no way that actually works.

He's asking for an jrpg without 'instanced' combat, where exploration and combat happen with zero transition. I get it the worst thing in these types of games is having some fucking random encounter interrupt your exploration, having enemies visible on the map helps but having to go through that annoying transition and getting locked into a battle 'zone' is just sort of grating.

I don't mind transitions too much, but I remember a particular example in Tales of Phantasia, on many maps that are mazes (specially that one forest after Origin to get the elven bow). You get into one fight and it takes forever? Congrats, you're probably fucking lost now

If you're new to JRPGs don't play one of a long running franchise, for now at least, as those require high levels of autism that mere mortals can't handle.

As many here have suggested play Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana or Super Mario RPG. If you want something more new you can play Xenoblade Chronicles as this is one of the best JRPGs that has come in recent years that isn't part of a franchise.

If you can handle one of those and like it then you're in for a fun ride because JPRGs is a wide "genre".

If you don't like Dragon Quest III then you won't like any real JRPG's (ether original NES or SNES version En translation by DaMarsMan v1.0). If you don't like Dragon Quest then you are a pussy. If you are a pussy, don't worry not is all lost there are plenty of games that are right up your ally. Games fagots typically like are Undertale, Persona 4, Final Fantasy 9, 7, Mother 3 or Chrono Trigger. You don't actually need to play any of these games, but you must argue incessantly with anyone who doesn't agree that they are the 𝒃𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒋𝒓𝒑𝒈'𝒔 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒎𝒂𝒅𝒆. Bonus points if you include the Mana (series) but insist in call them Seiken Densetsu for extra weeaboo cred.

Watch Excel Saga and Golden Boy dubbed. It's the best way to watch them due to outrageous the voices are. The MCs for both shows got the perfect person to play them.