Oddball Games

This is a highly unusual FPS.

It's also a Metroidvania. However,

In summary, this game is very atypical for both an FPS and a metroidvania. I like it when games distinguish themselves like this so what other games happen to be oddballs in their own genres?

A competitive shmup and puzzle hybrid.

Holy shit, I loved this game as a kid. Rented it for the night and didn't sleep until the next day when I beat it. I had no idea it was called Powerslave. I always knew it as Exhumed on the PS1.
I've seen anons ranting about how great some fucking thing called "Powerslave" is and now I get it because, yes, Exhumed was the absolute fucking tits. Floating around later levels collecting even more powerups before taking on the final boss like some kind of god was fucking satisfying,
Probably the best Egypt themed game aside from pic related, also an oddball game. Think Zelda with some of the best character-specific puzzle sections ever. I wonder if Nordic got the rights to this game too when it bought THQ's shit in a fire-sale.

I think Hexen tried to have a sort of hub-like approach with backtracking. I will definitely say that the console version of Powerslave did it a lot better with collecting the artifacts that allowed you to access new levels. Back-tracking through old levels didn't really feel boring for some reason, which a bunch of games usually don't get right.

Either it was coincidence or great design: once you get a new artifact to progress through certain levels, it's incredibly easy to speed through it to the end to get to the new level.

Nope

Kys

I beat the fan PC port of the PS1 version. Got the good ending on first try. Didn't bother looking for the rest of the figurines.

It is a good game. It was the devs last game and they put there all into it even when going backrupt.

Baten Kaitos duology. An rpg that has an active turn-based battle card battle system. Not easy as your deck can backfire on you or you get unlucky with the cards. It's also tough as you have to go fast.

one of the few console games that allowed mouse input

Reminds me of Lost Kingdoms, another card-based RPG made by From Software.

Wasn't Phantasy Star Online: Episode III also card based or something? I wonder what was it about the Gamecube that attracted devs to make deck card based JRPGs.

exhumed/powerslave on saturn is better.

You didn't even read his post, did you?

It is a card RPG, there's also the YuGiOh RPGs, like Falsebound Kingdom. Episode 3 is kinda interesting but I haven't played much of it. There's also Phantom Dust on Xbox HUEG and MtG Battlegrounds.

not really, I don't care much for the game or genre

Yeah, I know there's a market for card-based JRPGs, it just seems a bit odd that one system attracted at least five of them between those three franchises.

Actually got both Baten Kaitos and Lost Kingdoms on my backlog. Not sure when I'll get around to them though, given just how big my backlog is (and it just keeps getting bigger; fan-translation of a game I was keeping tabs on just came out the other day).

This game. It's just fucking weird, even for a 1995 FPS. Might actually be the first shooter to have a jetpack.

Oh, right. Missed that point. Yeah, it is weird that the GC apparently got a bunch of these card RPGs. I've been told that Lost Kingdom and LK2 are fantastic but I've never really thought about playing them. Baiten Kaitos, I played once and learned it's not for me.

looks like you spend a lot of time fighting walking asses

I've heard Baten Kaitos Origins refined the deck system or something, for better or worse (I've seen people in threads before both praise and despise the change, depending on how they felt about the first one). As for Lost Kingdoms, despite having Activision getting the prime slot on the cover, they're real time action JRPGs by From Soft back when they had more active variety than Souls style games. If you're the sort that likes having actual copies, the first is uncommon, borderline rare, but still pretty damn cheap for a Gamecube title where I live for $12-20. LKII though I've rarely ever seen (probably seen five or six copies of LK for every copy of LKII), and is a good $40 or so; thankfully From Soft's increasing popularity doesn't seem to have affected demand for some of their other games like the Lost Kingdoms or Otogi series (both are pretty stable where I live, which is pretty notable for the latter due to just how abysmally Otogi 1 and 2 sold; I see them maybe once or twice a year). From's PS2 horror games have been on the rise though, both Echo Night: Beyond (jumping from maybe $30 a few years back to $60+ or so complete) and Kuon (which has somehow jumped from $40 to $160 complete).

I'm thinking of getting Resonance of Fate and giving it another shot (heh).

For those who don't know, it's a turn-based JRPG with a combat system that is absolutely bonkers.

I've been meaning to get this game but I have so many games in my backlog I don't know if it's worth it

I remember tri-Ace's other games having strange systems

It's not quite turn-based but it's not real-time either. It is fantastic fun though. Definitely worth multiple play throughs. Apparently you can NG+ the difficulty up like 27 times or something stupid.

It's actually a really competent game. If you're interested, definitely try it out. Easily one of my favorite JRPGs with decent tactics elements. The music is pretty good too.

Basically all of tri-Ace's games are weird, if you compare them to standard things like older FF and DQ.

I might just pick it up then, I usually see it going for 5-7 beans

Absolutely worth it at that price, I paid 18 burgers for it and it was worth every pickle to me.

Do you need to look at a FAQ for it like The Last Remnant?

I got a complete copy for $5 myself at a local pawn shop. Still on my backlog though. Meanwhile, a local multimedia place tries to charge $34 for it.

Most Tri-Ace games that aren't Star Ocean 2 or Valkyrie Profile PS1 seem prone of being really hit or miss (though there seems to be a notable soft sport for Radiata Stories as well). Still, I've generally heard Resonance of Fate is fun if you can wrap your mind around how the mechanics work.

No. There's nothing nearly that complex. You will need to actually use the modifications to your guns though. I got through the first few chapters without doing that and started getting my ass kicked. If you like RE inventory management, you'll love adding mods to guns.

Ah, okay then

Actually, in Powerslave: you find equipment that improves some aspect of your character or gives you new abilities like a pair of sandals that lets you jump higher or a mask that lets you hold your breath longer. Quite a bit like getting the morph ball or space jump in Metroid.