Pixel-shit games that you think are good. Share links are encouraged

Post some games that look like shit but are actually worth playing. Been playing this one and I think it's breddy good.

used to play the shit out of this one

Always hated the aesthetic though. I understand that for this game to work it needed a simple visual style, but they really didnt have to go with the most generic pixelshit look there is.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is my shit man. The graphics aren't ugly though. I'm talking mostly about games that Holla Forumsirgins would be quick to write off simply because of "1 pixel arms" and shit like that. I'm not much better, as I tend to avoid them as well, but there's always exceptions.

Sadly: The last door is the only one I can think of that looks like shit but it's actually compelling to play.

What about Teleglitch? The enemies are literally unrecognisable blobs of pixels

Vagante. It's a Spelunky clone but it's a very good one. Maybe one day I'll figure out why nobody else can play it with my online.

mega:///#!RggUSCTR!H-HK5RwCCzcI9OEQhgJVcyvhuGa7I7GOR39VPkju5Pk

I just started Rabi Ribi. I remember there being threads about it. Not very good at metroidvanias and have yet to get into bullet hell games, but this seems to have several levels of casual modes so I assume it's an okay starting point.

Yep, that's the kind of ugly as fuck graphics I'm talking about. I had totally forgotten about Teleglitch. It's an alright game.

Risk of Rain

Bad art doesn't necessarily mean bad gameplay. There is a correlation though.

I know but that is not what the term pixelshit means. It means its a shitty game that the dev's lazily gave a retro/pixel aesthetic and then people forgive all its flaws because "indie retro". However bad pixel art often is an indicator that its a pixelshit.

pixelshit = nothing is redeemable
Hotline Miami ≠ pixelshit

Nigger I love that game but it most definitely is. The art direction is good, but the pixel art is god awful. They have fucking ROTATING PIXELS. That shit doesn't fly.

another analogy would be a mechanic fixing the body of a automobile that is essentially a lemon. This is often called a "Painted Whore", the car is garbage.

pixelshit = when a dev's resorts to the "retro/pixel indie" excuse to hopefully get people to overlook its flaws.

The term pixelshitz has a meaning, even if you would like to protest.

Holla Forums needs a dictionary I swear.

Vidyajamez?

This game is awesome too.

That's not what I've interpreted from it's use over the years, what I got out of it is "game with pixel art that I don't like".

We really do.

Seriously, that would be great to have so that further corruption of words can be avoided.

What's wrong with how Vagante looks? Save for the smooth gradient they use for the fog of war, the sprites and background themselves look great.

did the creator made anything else?

I read the lust door.

It's not bad really. Though I wish the art designer wasn't so reserved in his color template. I feel like it could have more radical looking places instead of the de-saturated green/grey pallet they use now. The only real place that changes the art direction up is the final world. World 2 is decent as well, though only because it's actually discernible between world 1 and 3.

Didn't mean to sage.

Pixelshit is most broadly defined as any instance of pretending to mimic the style of an older system or specific game, and then either completely flubbing it (mixels, rixels, smooth 24-bit gradients, inaccurate effects like shadows and bloom, etc.), and/or mixing different styles indiscriminately.

Aside from technical concerns, failures in artistic skill (flat or pillow shading instead of dithers, noodle limbs, unrealistic color palettes and other artifacts that didn't appear on period CRTs, etc.) that produce an insulting impression of classic pixel art as lazy and cheap instead of the best possible results technology allowed skilled artists to realize at the time.

Most strongly indicative of pixelshit, however, is if the "artists" are called on their bullshit, and they say some combination of "we couldn't afford better"/"dl;dr itz mah style!". There are many simple styles anyone without enough money or talent can do, that are more visually detailed and functional in gameplay than "retro". The one and only justifiable reason to attempt it is mimicking old games.

Downwell, it's a pretty simple roguelite/platformer with an extremely minimalist style. Here's a gif from their website since screenshots don't work for some reason.

I've been playing the shit out of Bastard Bonds the last few days.
I think it looks alright.

epic

Yeah, that's not pixelshit, the art actually looks fine, even the interface is done properly.

*HUURGH*

They put in so much effort, and they still managed to fuck it up.

wat

fixd

can you fug the slime

Seeing as how they're imprisoned I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the classes are their crimes

I can understand hating on mixels, but fucking rixels? Rixels look bad when the sprites are small, but there is nothing wrong with them when they are big enough as they are barely noticeable, not to mention it's either rixels due to biliniear-like rotation filters, mixels (arguably not true mixels, but still) due to nearest neighbor rotation filters or non-flexible rotations, which would suck for games such as Hotline Miami in which the direction your character is facing is really important.

There is shitting on a bad artstyle, then there is being a bigger hipster than the devs who label their games "retro pixel" themselves and proceed to shit on non-retro pixellated games for not being "true retro" enough.

Also, I would argue pixelshit is used to describe the game as a whole, and not just its artstyle. Pixelshit is a shitty zero effort game made by some hipster fucks which features shitty generic gameplay with some shitty gimmick nobody cares about, shitty generic pixellated artstyle and several nods to whatever is hot or popular at the moment of development. If the game is actually good, it's not pixelshit, just a game with unfortunate artstyle choices.

Maybe badly tweened graphics are cheaper, but they are guaranteed to look bad. Even high-budget tweened graphics may look off in some parts; just look at the Wakfu series.

There's more artstyles than just pixelated. Look at flash's drawn style for example. With enough art direction it looks good.

I'm trying to search for Flash on Google and I'm only getting capeshit Flash, Flash Gordon and Adobe Flash videogames. Care to provide a screenshot of which game are you talking about?

Anyway, the only thing arguably cheaper to produce than badly tweened shit are static pictures a la Inferno Cop, and sometimes not even that since artists are pushing each other to raise their prices as of lately. Cheapest art I have seen was $5 for a flat color full body drawing, and the artist quickly changed it when people told her it was way too low (it was, considering artists around that level are starting to ask $80 for drawings like those). Problem is, unless you are planning to make a VN with no CG, you will have to spend quite a bit more than that.

I'm talking adobe flash games, like OG the binding of isaac and shit

That would be cheaply tweened animations. BoI kinda works because the artstyle is simple enough, but then again, so is Thomas Was Alone's. Anything slightly more complex will look weird.

Ankama is the Flash games company with the highest budget and most experience, and even they had to use some keyframe tricks. Dofus, for example, is barely tweened, even though characters are animated by pieces, and sometimes it looks weird (female knees look disjointed when sitting with crossed legs). Wakfu, the game, had quite the budget, and I gotta admit it looks gorgeous, but I don't really know how much of it is tweened. Wakfu the series, however, has some terrible looking animations in some places. Thing is, they spend tens of thousands in animating these games.

There was a fairly complex hidden objects Flash game in Newgrounds that looked somewhat good, but it also had some really noticeable issues. Thing is, BoI is barely animated, and the artstyle is simple and ugly, in my opinion enough to work.

it's a fair definition but i always tyhought it has also something to do with apeing another existing more succesful game (p.ex Binding of Isaac-Wizard's Lizard) in order to ride the 15' Fame train to Popularityberg and cash-in on it.

Also best one i've tried so far

It means my character is an orc-fucker. That's illegal where she's from.

no, this is a real game

right into the trash it goes

I got it during the sale, it's pretty fun. The creator has visibly a bara fetish but so far it doesn't seem to affect anything else than the art style.
I also read that you can recruit monster grills and other enemies later on, that sounds pretty rad. The gameplay feels pretty simple as far as ARPGs go but it does the job well.

You're all a bunch of idiots.

Games are good, or bad.
And you either like the visual direction of a game, or you don't.

When you have to rationalize the fact that you like a game because Holla Forums told you that every single game that uses pixel art is pixelshit, it's time you take a break from this place and de-brainwash yourself from being a fucking idiot.