Turok 2 vs Quake

Which one was the better game?

Neither was Doom, but they were still kinda cool.

I've only played the N64 version of Turok 2, which ran at like 5 fps and had a shitty control scheme. I'd have to go with Quake.

Quake set a benchmark for all subsequent FPS's to follow, it was a true evolution of Doom's gameplay. It had incredible movement, visuals, multiplayer, and modding support.

Turok was like Doom with better graphics (at the time, I'd say Doom's held up better today) and more exotic level design. It was neat for a bit but was quickly overshadowed by Goldeneye 007 as far as console shooters go and never had shit on other PC FPS's due to it's framerate and lack of mod support.

Why compare two such unlike things?

One thing I'll absolutely have to give Turok (specifically 2) credit for though is it's incredible weapons. The cerebral bore and nuke gun were very memorable.

I think they played somewhat similarly.

The mod support might be fixed to some extent with the Nightdive's rerelease. They released mapping tools for Turok 1 like week ago. It's what made me think about these two.

I have the first Turok on N64 and sure enough it plays awkwardly and it ended up giving me a headache after a while but I got it again on Steam and it plays so much better.

The two games are absolutely nothing alike.
Comparing them shows a fundamental lack of understanding of both games, and the FPS genre as a whole.

I recommend two weeks of whippings, three times each day, with minimal food and water in order to propely reeducate OP.

Your argument is shit. Quake has a bit more crammed levels, but they have similar slightly weightless feel to them and the movement flows pretty similarly unless you count Quake's glitch-abusing in movement as valid tactics.

Quake was a historically significant FPS, Turok 2 wasn't.

Only because it popularized and streamlined online multiplayer.

One thing I liked in Turok 2 was how the overall design encouraged you to use just about every weapon in the game(besides the Flaregun, pistol, and shotgun), which was that most enemies died within 1-4 hits, and ammo was spread out thinly across levels while each weapon had very limited ammo capacity.

I recall that Turok 2 had more noticeable acceleration on the ground, and that you sorta "stuck" the landing of each jump. The level design for Turok 2 had a similar amount of openness as Quake did, but I wouldn't argue that they're very similar.

Turok itself had a rocky history due to being an early console shooter. It's recognized among the likes of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, but most people only really gave a shit about Turok 2. 3 and Rage Wars aren't remembered at all, and neither are the later games, especially not the reboot. It's a shame though since the series had some pretty interesting weapons.

I absolutely love Turok 2 since I grew up with it and not Quake. but I feel Quake is the stronger game due to level design. I'v played Turok 2 for years but I never actually beat the game from start to finish. (I'v always messed around with cheats and skipped to bosses. I plan to play threw the game legit when the Remaster comes out.)

That is because the levels are far too massive with little direction. you can easily go threw a whole level only to be sent back to the start because you didn't know to turn left to find a secret cave that leads to a little girl that you missed.

Quake's levels don't have that bullshit you can just play threw them how you like.

Now someone may like Turok 2's levels due to they're large scale but i'v always seen it as a down side.

You'd need to compare the Turok and Quake arena games.

Are you literally 12?

Sober up before you post again.

Of course it's use of Bsplines to optimize level geometry wasn't significant, that never caught on, and it's level design and it's use of vertical space and baked lighting to draw the eye wasn't significant and games never adopted these into their design.

No Quake was better than Doom, it had better level design, better enemy design, better weapon design with the grenade launcher allowing and greatly improved the players ability to move around the games world.

The only thing Doom has on it is it's even greater significance to video games and it's far greater legacy.

It's hard to compare Quake and Turok 2 because I haven't played Turok 2 since N64, I'm probably going to play it again once it gets re released by Nightdive, make a thread then.

come on rage wars pc release

Can I replace the character models?

I have better memories of Turok 2 so for the base game I'd go with that. Quake's got custom content coming out the ass though.

Quake. This isn't even subjective.
That said, I can't wait for the remastered Turok 2. An FPS with actual level design and interesting weapons? Haven't seen one in over a fucking decade, at least…

The level design was so good they even added save points every 2 hours

Turok 2 has more level variety, enemy variety and weapon variety.
Quake had good mod support and some nice level design.
The weapons are shit, the color palette is drab and enemy variety might as well be non existent.

The MGS series was historically significant for the stealth genre, Splinter Cell wasn't. That doesn't mean that MGS is better.

i wear thicker nostalgia goggles than anyone i know and even then i was kinda bummed at how it felt to play it again. it really didn't age well

dude I love circling around the map consisting of one or two textures 10 times trying to find something to proceed forward

at least in Quake you could abuse rocket jumps to get ahead when you get lost

Quake, that's not even a question. People still play it, people still mod the fuck out of it. Nobody remembers Turok besides its weapons. Even then it's only remembered by console kids who had to fool themselves into thinking the N64 was a worthwhile console because they didn't have a PS1 or a PC that could run Quake.

You're right that isn't an argument, so I will make an argument when Turok 2 gets a PC rerelease, I still think Quake will win out.

Not really, did it add anything to the genre? It goes down in history more for it's quality storytelling then anything else.

The thing I always hated about Turok 2 was how sparsely spaced save points were. Sometimes it would be like half an hour or longer between spots when really needed to take a break. Pretty dank game otherwise. Shame FPSs because all about realismfaggotry instead of interesting weapons and destruction.

Hard too tell, but both the OSTs kick ass.

Quake on the n64 is a good version though. It has an ambient soundtrack like doom64(which is really really good) . Obviously you can't mod it or play it online so its inferior to the pc version. But quake on the 64 is at the least fun, playable and keeps the gameplay intact.

The 64 doesn't have a massive library by any means but there are some really good games in there. The playstation library obviously is bigger, has some classics in its own right. I owned both, still do. The 64 got more good fps games than the playstation.

Been playing perfect dark and goldeneye lately, and I think they aged well. The level designs are still tight, the weapons still feel responsive, the enemies still are challenging on the higher levels.

For whatever reason the n64 got a lot of good fps games. Doom 64, golden eye and perfect dark, the turok games? I love em though the first game is hard for me to go back and play. Turok 1 just has kind of poor level design in the face of what 2 and 3 offered.

The actual opponents were Quake 1 and Turok 1, with the latter released less than a year after the former.

It seemed like a great evolution of gameplay back then, but bogged down by hardware (that fucking clipping distance masked by fog) and uninspiring level design. But we were all in awe at the animations, weapons and metroidvania world.

Of course everyone in college only played it solo, there was only Quake in lan parties.

Shut up retard.

Turok has an interconnected world which unlocks gradually with new abilities acquired.

It unlocks with literal keys dumbass. Metroid is all about collectible action abilities to "unlock" new areas. And Turok came out before Igarashi's shitty Super Metroid clone stuff with RPG garbage.

Turok 2 had deliberate maze like levels and designs, this isn't the same kind as Quake's levels since the guy who designed the maps for Turok is the same guy that worked on EYE's maps EYE is more comparable. And why fucking 2? Turok 1 was released just one year after Quake. Otherwise no I don't consider them comparable, Turok is basically a platformer that plays similar to a console FPS it's primary selling point up to 3 was it's creative weapons like the Ceribrivore.

If you're going to compare it compare the multiplayer, since after you're done playing around the single player most of your time was spent on multiplayer where Quake wins hands down.

it's a hub world, and it isn't at all like exploring in Metroid or Castlevania. If you were exploring for "secrets" it's because you needed the last fucking prisoner or important piece thingamajig before you could clear the level and move I remember the first area like the back of my hand because of that bullshit.

3 had a neat energy shotgun but most of it's stuff was plain or a rehash Turok 3 is basically the "story" game of the three. You can actually see story taking precedence over the course of Turok 1 through 3 with each release.