For us, as Syrians, let me be frank: ISIS is the lesser evil. They have killed maybe 10,000 people...

From: theintercept.com/2016/10/26/syria-yassin-al-haj-saleh-interview/

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-reality-and-potential-for-the-syrian-opposition_us_58530ba5e4b0630a2542311a?
youtube.com/watch?v=pdH4JKjVRyA
youtu.be/eBfK3ye_SBc?t=36m25s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Imperial propaganda for people who shop at whole foods

He's not wrong necessarily, however I do believe that people would prefer peace under a monster then continued warfare. I'm very curious to see what role TEV-DEM plays in a post-war syria, or even a post-fsa and post-isis syria with only SDF and SAA left.

Murtaza Hussein is a State Department shill and I'm disappointed in the Intercept.

sounds about right

Is there even a shred of evidence for this at all? How many of those were US / Saudi backed "rebels?"

comrade I just finished reading this article which I think is relevant to your question

huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-reality-and-potential-for-the-syrian-opposition_us_58530ba5e4b0630a2542311a?

So is this some kind of Saudi rag?

They said that taking down Saddam was a good idea too and they played the same WMD card against him as they are doing to Assad now but all it did was make things worse, ISIS being one of the consequences.

Hello, CIA

Well, isn't this just the perfect illustration of the "lesser evil" principle?

I find that anyone who says the "even ISIS isn't as bad as Assad" argument is definitely a sly Islamist.

Assad is one the most effective argument of Isis's recruitment campaign.

ISIS barely even fight Assad. Palmyra is the exception. ISIS doing most of their fighting against the SDF, and they get absolutely annihilated every time.

Well, ISIS is rather new compared to Syria.
It's like comparing Stalin and Hitler directly, even though one ruled way longer than the other.

Thanks for sharing famrade. Rojava will definitely play a big role in the peace process, but this is only if Assad is willing to make peace and settle for not having the same kind of political hegemony he once had.

I'm pretty sure he will try take back Rojava. He has repeatedly dismissed their aspirations and gains. The question is will his allies like Russia and Hezbollah, who he would be nothing without, waste countless more resources and lives on a war against a group that poses no threat to the regime and is not being hostile?

He would be very dumb to try, not just for the reasons you listed but for the fact that the US could easily use the SDF as a proxy against the Russians and the Assad regime if he were to try. His best bet is to allow Rojava autonomy and try to use them as a proxy against Turkey.

This is the sensible person's perspective but Assad is a chauvinistic dictator so he's intent on the "we'll retake every inch of Syria" shit.

Anyway everyday the SDF grows, and every day the Rojava project expands and gains more legitimacy. This has gone far beyond Kurds now. The SDF will also be the group to take the head off ISIS in Syria. It's been amazing to see this project grow.

Feels good mang. The tankie and leftcom tears will be delicious. I really do have hopes that this will spread beyond syria.

is this statement right or wrong?

The debate of whether Islamists were always at the forefront of the protests/rebellion or not is a more complicated and controversial issue which will be decided by your biases.

It's deeply rooted in the Kurdish areas of Turkey too. There's traces of it in Iran and Iraq also.

I mean beyond kurdistan, to. I want this to ultimately develop into a global phenomenon as both Ocalan and Bookchin dreamed of.

:'(

at least Ocalan gets isolated visits updating him on things I suppose

youtube.com/watch?v=pdH4JKjVRyA
I know it's RT but Assad seems pretty cool.

I literally cry every time.
youtu.be/eBfK3ye_SBc?t=36m25s
this whole video is worth watching. it's a good introduction to the ideas of bookchin and ocalan as well as the circumstances that formed them.