Final Fantasy XI is an old MMORPG that does not follow the holy trinity...

Final Fantasy XI is an old MMORPG that does not follow the holy trinity, its not oriented towards competition but cooperation instead, and will kick your ass if you refuse to cooperate with allies to surpass the challenges that it puts forward.
the Admin of Comfinity (our own private server) got cucked by real life and couldn't keep it up anymore, we re-gathered (or at least we're trying to!) on another private server that seems to be, overall, the best one out of the bunch. With more than a few custom made QoL improvements and minigames to earn extra gil.

ffera.com
First, download the game, yes, the official game: playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html
if you already have the game installed (from Steam or from the original Discs)
then simply follow these instructions: wiki.dspt.info/index.php/Configuring_Your_Client
the game must be fully installed and updated for the server to work, once you have that, you can use the Windower 4 program to connect to any server of your choice.
trouble installing? ask up.

the server has a normal experience rate of 4x but it also offers something new, the Mentor Mode, which is a self-restraining game mode with bonus perks, it caps your experience at 1x retail rate and blocks you from using Fields of Valor books while giving you access to certain extra features such as:
-free buffs from conveniently located NPCs around the game
-an infinite-usage
-access to special stores that sell equipment slightly better than what you would find in a regular weapon or armor shop in a city
-4x running speed within cities
-reduced exp loss on death past level 30 (non mentors lose 3 times as much exp when dying, while mentors lose just the normal amount)
it can be activated by typing "@bazaar" in game, and then talking to one of the two floating light-blue crystals in the bazaar area. you cannot change mentor mode on/off once you've gone past level 1 so it could be considered a hardcore mode. You're free to play either way you want, its character-independent.
The job you play is up to personal preference, you can switch them whenever you want, every job has its pros and cons and most of them can play more than one "role" depending on party setup.
send a private message in-game to Nel, Tonka, Uthayra or Kashiri to receive a Linkpearl, its an item that lets you chat in our private "room" so to say. To do so, you must open the chatbox and use the " /tell 'name' " command.

add info: the new server IP is in the front page of the era website, myera.is no longer works

resources:
ffxi-atlas.com
In-game maps are not fully accurate, as part of the game was meant to be exploration, not every path is marked on the in-game maps
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
retail FFXI goes through updates even up to this [CURRENT YEAR] of ours, since the private server works on emulated software and its not trying to be just like modern retail FFXI, not everything might be accurate, but its still a good source of information for the most part.
no, the main story of the game is made of Rank Missions, which are different depending on which of the 3 nations you start on.
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Rank
ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Conquest

Other urls found in this thread:

tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

can they really be relived?

i dunno about memories but you can come in and play.

server got a new host yesterday and Dynamis was just patched up after a major fuckup several days ago that broke everything.

want to play, but don't want to play…
I think what I want is those times and happy days with friends… I don't really like the mechanics of FFXI anymore, I can't even play FFXIV because it's too boring zzz.

there's a guy standing in lower jeuno right now using your name

#REKT

Convince me to play this instead of XIV

NAMEFAG BTFO

i can't. do it yourself

nigga has a KKK club

wth =w= auxy is my name (posted from phone earlier so diff id)

not anymore it seems

When I went on a week ago, the linkshell was empty.
I guess I just don't know when you cool fags are on.

I guess I'll get back into this. Not looking forward to some of those mandatory quests. Also, is that chocobo license quest up to date? Fuck that 2 hour bullshit.

I plan on buying FF14 tomorrow.

well good for you user, but this is the XI thread

Woke up this morning to a dead server, timing out after selecting a character. What's everyone else up to, in the meantime?

The quest isn't up to date, but talking to any chocobo while over level 20 should get you the license anyway. You still have to do the quest for unlocking Beastmaster, though.

do I need to download the POL client from the second link if I already downloaded the stuff in the first link or just skip to step two?

everything is included in the official download.

server is up, looks like the gameserver crashed sometime during the night.

Wait, so you have to buy the game to play it for free? ..and I wondered why these threads were dead.

It's a free download from the main site you dumb idiot.

no, you can download the game for free.

git gud @reading you fag

Surely this is how you get more people to join you.

You're literally too stupid to even install the game.

You're too stupid to even check IDs.

I tried both Era and Nasomi about a year back. They're both a broken mess put together with a hacksaw and gorilla glue.

Surely this is how you get more people to join you.

:^)

im doomed to grinding in qufim and dunes until i die.

**was

is RDM/SCH a good combination to play?

man this Playonline music is smooth.

it has more than one song, if you explore around the POL a bit once its fully installed.

i guess back in 2002 they thought they were being innovative and next gen with it, they actually thought people would use the built-in email and stuff.

6 more hours on this so I'll give you guys a bump before I go to bed.

there is a patch that makes the download time go from 8 hours to 1-2 hours

its in the installation wiki, if you already started on the 8hour update, just let it finish.

Is there a steam group?

shit

tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php
Which one faggots?

no, steam is for cucks

its not that hard to figure out

download the big update file (2,10GB one) then paste the contents in your FFXI folder. then try to do the POL checkfiles.

I had nearly forgotten how different this game's controls are to other mmos. Getting back into it is gonna take a little while but it's good to see the old stomping grounds again.

is the server down? I'm just getting a "can't connect" error in the DOS looking window.

screenshot the DOS window and the contents of your settings.xml file

the server is up and working, so you fucked up something or maybe missed a step during installation.

I can connect to Nasomi just fine but Era just hangs up.

The server is 8.26.94.111 not myera.is

does that mean the image in the OP is out of date?

because you got the wrong IP you tard.

i put it in bold, bright red letters in the OP, how can you fail this much at reading

They switched server hosts very recently.

okay, got it working now. gonna report back in a few minutes with character name.

don't report, just /tell Tonka or Nel for a pearl in-game

so what happened to you newguy? did you manage to get in?

m8…
I like the game as much as the next guy but let's not lie to potential new players. The most non holy trinity thing in this game is /nin tanking and unless you can make the things to need to use shadows then you are going to be broke.

so what role is RDM in the holy trinity?
what role is SCH?
what role is DNC?
what role is THF?
what role is SMN?

Come on user, this is a good game but don't go all Guild Wars 2 on us.

so they're not healer, tank, and DPS?

that means they don't follow the holy trinity.

your argument = BTFO

Nice redding spacing by the way m8. Suddenly I get why you are so upset about this.

does

this

trigger

you?

just come in and play, or don't, stop shitting the thread

But user, I played the shit out of already when it was new. I stopped playing midway into WoTG. I'm just saying that you saying this game doesn't have a holy trinity is bullshit and you know it. Go and try to complete the storyline up to rank 10 without using a tank. I fucking dare you.
Also, you doubling down thinking i'm "upset" at reddit spacing is funny. I'm just commenting that your sudden change in demeanor suddenly makes sense. A sane person would acknowledge that what they said is not 100% true if they actually played this game.

not following the holy trinity doesn't mean that your characters don't need to play roles according to the situation, it means that your characters are not stuck into fixed roles for the entirety of the game.

Wew, talk about being BTFO'd.

there's 20 jobs to pick, if you don't like getting stuck in one role, you can play others.

did you come in here just to shitpost?

I came in to laugh at the fact that anyone would say FFXI breaks the holy trinity. There is wiggle room but don't go tricking new players into thinking they can do anything. Certain classes have certain jobs in a party, just because there is overlap doesn't suddenly mean the broke the trinity or anything buzzworthy like that. Like I said, quit channeling your inner GW2 faggtory.

i have never even played GW2, by your reaction images i can tell that you just came here to shitpost, man you must be seriously bored, how about jumping in the game and playing instead of being an absolute bitter retard all the time?

Like I said, it's a fun game due to the fact that you can level all your classes on one character and the subjob system still hasn't been beaten by any other game but it still follows the tank/healer/dps formula. Just because the blm can heal in a pinch, the sch's DoTs are worth it to cast, and /nin tanking was viable at one point doesn't suddenly mean you can roll out with a drg/whm and suddenly think you won't be laughed out of parties.

Are certain races better at jobs than others?

Healer
Healer
Dps
Dps
Dps

Only if you care about the +2 str the Galka get or the +3 int tarus get.
It doesn't really matter at the end, at worst a casting galka will have a smaller mana pool than a taru but gear and food can fix that.

no
no
no
no
NO

Tried downloading (with manager) but files wouldn't go past 1GB. Just did it the sucker way and eventually downloaded without using the advanced installation method.

A few questions:

1. Are quests important?
2. Is money making a big part of the game?
3. How large is the community?
4. What roles/jobs are in demand?
5. What's the economy like?

1.not really outside of your city missions and a few key quests
2.As important as you make it, that said it's not a bad idea to save your gil
3.No idea about the private server
4.any class that has refresh, haste, and heals. Rdm or whm is a solid choice if you want to to the party thing early on
5.Depends on which expansion the private server is on. Your best bet in being a superjew in the game is to find out what consume tools are used often and make/gather the ingredients crafters need to make those items.

yeah i know the download seems to "break" at 1GB something, but dont worry, thats still the update patch.

some, yeah, you need to do the main stories to unlock new areas
sort of, but its more fun to play with friends and find/make your own gear than buying it from the jews ingame
not very, ~100 chars on high traffic hours? with lots of alts
just play whichever you want, unlike the 7805a2 faggot says, most jobs are really versatile while others are stuck to classic roles, and you can research on your own how to play which jobs
dead, but you can still make money through custom quests, and there will always be some items that sell on the auction house.

How's that lack of a trinity going. :^)

The game looks and runs like ass.. Is it stuck on 30fps? Feels slow and sluggish when I go out to fight mobs.

its a 2002 game, what were you expecting?

and also there's a way to unlock the 60 fps, but it has something to do with your windower configuration. supposedly you can just press F12 to do it, but it doesn't work on my install tbh

you can unlock to 60 FPS in windower config as said. you can make it look better via super-sampling as well, which can also be done automatically in Windower. however, as he said it's also a 2002 game so don't expect miracles from the graphics.

see pic related tho, it can look quite nice if you can appreciate the art style. S-E did something pretty amazing given that they were developing an MMORPG for a game console with 4 megabytes of video memory!

'member the Pentium 4?

How do I sync with another player to come down to their level? I started a friendo on the game but Im a few levels in already.

I believe there is a button in the party menu that says "Level Sync."

Hitting that should be the answer.

I don't really know. I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure that button is there.

yes, the button in the party menu lets you level sync

but you cant level sync under level 10, so your first task should be reaching level 10, or preferably 13, so you can head straight to valkurm dunes

I used to run FFXI on a 650MHz AMD Duron with a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 and 512MB of RAM; I had to use an app called 3DAnalyze because the Voodoo5 didn't actually support DirectX7 in hardware (no T&L acceleration) but FFXI didn't actually use it, so it ran fine once you tricked it into thinking the hardware supported it, hehe.

later I got a Radeon 7500 that was much faster for this game. I'm so old ;w;

ack, that was for

here's some useful gear you should try to find on your own, all of it is equippable below level 50 and has varying degrees of usefulness depending on your job

Bounding Boots, dropped by Leaping Lizzy
Peacock Amulet, dropped by Argus
Traveler's Mantle, dropped by Spook
Shaman's Belt, dropped by Jolly Green
Ochimusha Kote, dropped by Mee Degi the Punisher
Empress Hairpin, dropped by Valkurm Emperor this NM is custom on era, you can force spawn it by trading a damselfly worm to the mog tablet in Valkurm Dunes

have fun

It's not a tank and it certainly isn't a party healer, so what else could it possibly be besides DPS?

here's some useful gear you should try to find on your own, all of it is equippable below level 50 and has varying degrees of usefulness depending on your job

Bounding Boots, dropped by Leaping Lizzy
Peacock Amulet, dropped by Argus
Traveler's Mantle, dropped by Spook
Shaman's Belt, dropped by Jolly Green
Ochimusha Kote, dropped by Mee Degi the Punisher
Empress Hairpin, dropped by Valkurm Emperor this NM is custom on era, you can force spawn it by trading a damselfly worm to the mog tablet in Valkurm Dunes

have fun

its a utility job, its supposed to enhance drops and/or steal items & money sadly SE never bothered making steal useful, and they also gave it a totally shit cooldown of 5 minutes, and gil-stel (Mug) 15 minutes. making the utility part of the utility job be next to useless. the amount of items worth stealing in the game can be counted with one hand and even then they're not that good, there's no rare gear or valuable gems to be stolen from enemies

It's DPS with a semi-worthless parlor trick.

thief is utility, steal and mug are shit because SE never bothered to make them useful, so their usefulness lies in Treasure Hunter, and to a certain extent, Flee.

Actually, their utility lies in Sneak/Trick attack and Accomplice/Collaborator. Steal and mug are generally useless outside a handful of very specific situations. Enmity control is THFs main thing.

Is there a way to save the positions of the Windower plugins/addons instead of having to muck around with them everytime I open the game?

I followed the entire tutorial, but it's not connecting to the server. Using install from steam version, on windows 8.1. What am I doing wrong?

Post your settings.xml for Windower; the server changed hosts recently as said.

That was exactly it. It works Thanks!

I hate what mmos have turned into. I cannot stand being dragged through quest lines or matching up with randoms in a party finder, I just want to turn my brain off and stand in an open field for 3 hours killing goats. Is this the kind of game for me?

Yes

I'll think about giving this a shot then. Thanks.

Vet of ffxi, just got into the server, whats the best way of making money considering there's seemingly so few people? (like who would buy a stack of crystals on the ah if there's that few people)

Quests/Missions seem to give 4-5x their reward money, and some of the fetch quests seem to be repeatable. That quest in Windurst where you turn in 3 Crawler Calculus now gives a ton of money, so I suggest getting that done as much as possible.

Beyond that, out in the field there will be floating books that give you "training regiments". Completing them will give you some money and a boat load of xp. Great way to pick up gil and level quickly.

Did all of the steps, when launching POL through windower 4, windower crashes. I'm on windows 7 x64. Am I doing something wrong?

im guessing that you missed one step.

double check that you did everything correctly.

ALRIGHT

Let's get something clear once and for all, this is mostly for any newfag.

Mithra>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miqo'te

hi butts, are you still cucked at work?

I don't know what you are talking about, user. I'm merely clarifying things for the sake of any poor soul that stumbles upon Plastic Fantasy XIV.

thought you were someone else

Refer to

bump

Finally got it to load, now I'm running into this issue where xiloader is launching but when I log in successfully it just closes.

This is a fucking stupid question but does the game still require a subscription fee? If so how much is it?

retail? yes, about 12 dollars/mo + 1$ per character slot.

Retail does, but this is a private server so no.

Greaaaaat. Thanks user.

How many active players do these servers have? The game is just a hollow shell without 300+ players.

well, it has a lot less than 300

around 60 i'd say, lots of them using alts

Anyone know how to make the camera not pan down slightly when looking left or right using arrow keys? Eventually the camera is dragging on the floor and it's driving me nuts.

The lack of players is a bit of an illusion on this server considering everyone is part of the same guild.

bamp

Post more Purge!

Fucking hell this. Seems like it'd be one of the first things to include in a program like Windower.

It's strange to have a player-based economy in a game with so few people. You'd expect there to be more unity with people not trying to outjew one another but I guess those habits come from retail FFXI? It seems like it'd be real easy to corner a market and purposely inflate the prices on certain materials so you're the only one selling a particular "essential" product. Am I wrong about this?

Many people will sell stuff much lower than AH if you just ask, and if you get mats yourself people will make it for you for free.

there isn't much of an economy, jews overprice shit that no one ever buys because its overpriced.

so its mostly about getting stuff yourself.

we have an almost-master smith in the shell, and im a master woodcrafter and cook, so we can make stuff for you.

I guess Comfinity is cool like that.

Btw, can we compile a master list of sorts so we know who has specialized skills in a craft so we don't get a linkshell full of Cooks LOL. Maybe even job roles too? I'd like to contribute job role and skill to a linkshell but don't want to take someone else's spot as King Cock of Cookery. Know what I mean?

you can 100 every craft, so it doesn't matter if you 100 cook first, you can 100 everything else later.

bump

bump

bump

in addition to a master woodcrafter and cook, we have a master blacksmith now, and soon we'll have a master clothcrafter

hit 100 Clothcraft 30 minutes before 2017

tonk get me demon horns

I only have two questions. Does Blu work? And does Pup work?

yes
no

Sure thing, just buy them on the AH :^)

Lewd Behemoth

there are many things that need to be erased

I fail to see this as a bad thing.

yeah you didn't read the conversation and completely misunderstood the post, good job.

server just crashed, im gonna check on King Arthro

all knight crabs are up, Tonk pls log

nevermind, KA dead