I find weird how Blizzard chose to voice all of their characters in American accent with all Warcraft games

I find weird how Blizzard chose to voice all of their characters in American accent with all Warcraft games.
When you think of fantasy setting like Warhammer or LOTR, you think of people with british accent, I mean all characters in LOTR and Game of Thrones talk in british accent, even american actors, so why not in Warcraft? The only thing they got right was the scottish accent with dwarves, I mean you can't go wrong there.

American accents are superior to the grating annoyance of British accents. It's probably one of the easiest fantasy series to listen to.

No shit

Because adhering to arbitrary genre conventions is retarded.

Of course that also extends to including "standard" races like elves, dwarves, orcs, etc for no reason other than it being a fantasy setting. This shit needs to die though, create your own setting or fuck off

Yeah well they have a point in his universe. They weren't there "just cuz" he specifically chose them (and changed them quite a bit from their established fairy tales) because they were a fit for the universe he wanted to make. I still don't entirely agree with the decision though and would have preferred entirely original fantasy creatures but whatever.

Also modern depictions of wizards are the worst. Gandalf had a "wizard hat," cloak, and staff because he was a wanderer and the source of his magic powers (aside from being a lesser angel) was tied to his knowledge of culture and history he gained from wandering around. Giving wizards staves and hats made to protect from the sun just because they do magic is dumb as hell and so is any depiction of magic that tries to explain it as something explicit you can learn from a book which defeats the point of it.

tl;dr Tolkien was creative and 99% of fantasy writers are lazy hacks

Everything is wrong.

still, yank accents are too broad and diverse to generalise, what kind of yank accents?

Because warcraft is an american setting, whic is also a reason why its shit.

Australian or gtfo.

/thread

While you are right that just because someone is a wizard, he can't go in full plate armor or use bows/swords instead of staffs, I think that for games such as Dungeons and Dragons(which influenced a lot of videogames and other table top RPGs) it was more to balance stuff. If you had two characters that had the same armor, the same sword and the same shield, but one of them could also cast spells, you would pick the one that could also cast spells. If the one that could cast spells, had to wear leather armor at best, and could only use a wooden staff, then it would actually be a choice between the heavily armored dude with a huge sword, and the guy in robes with a wooden staff that can cast spells.

I know I find it also dumb.
How do you have a fantasy world where orcs speak like a bunch of no brain autists and all humans have that west coast accent.
British accent or gtfo.

nothing is worse than Dragon Age's dub though. it's just bored people reading a script.

Cockney Orks was easily the best thing to ever come out of Warhammer.

You mean Abonics you white dog

They used their staff to do most of the original voices. Bill Roper does the narration in the warcraft 2 intro. It would be weird to suddenly break away from the established accents they had settled on with the previous games.

it's not like they haven't broken away from many other of their traditions or anything.

You can explain anything in the setting though. What if magic required the spell you want to be tattooed on exposed skin meaning the most powerful wizards would have to go without armor and the reason they need a tattoo is because it physically binds the culture or history it represents to the world and the user.

If you're going gameplay first you should use the setting to explain your gameplay in ways that are internally consistent and interesting.

The worgen have a cockney accent, the trolls speak like islanders, the pandaren sound asian, do you want more?

Like what.