I'm scared shitless, Holla Forums. I was playing a resource heavy game on my CFW PS3 Kamen Rider Battrider War Genesis...

I'm scared shitless, Holla Forums. I was playing a resource heavy game on my CFW PS3 Kamen Rider Battrider War Genesis, and it crashed the PS3 a few times. Every time it asked me to restore the system, which it did pretty fast, but last time the REBUG screen became white in palette, and asked me for an unskippable system restoration. Ileft it for hours and it only reached 35%,I thought it was stick so I forced the console to reboot. Now It's doing the process again but it's stuck on 21%

I have a few doubts about this. I'm pretty sure I might lose everything, like save data and stuff,but I wonder if I'll lose my CFW, which is what I'm more worried about. It is normal to be stuck like this in system restoration? How much it takes? I'm also guessing I'd have to restore my PS3 directly from the HDD. In that case, will I lose my CFW?

Other urls found in this thread:

tabinda.net/posts/playstation-3-cloud-drive/
semperthree.com/ps3recoverymenu.html
archive.is/MHMS1
psdevwiki.com/ps3/Main_Page
psdevwiki.com/ps3/HDD_Encryption
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A second ago went past 21%, currently 22%. I shouldn't have rebooted the console when it was at 35%, so this will last a fucking lot.
All my doubts remain, though.

You won't lose your CFW. NAND Memory =/= HDD (Non volatile) memory. Even if you were to lose it, you can simply reflash it with the E3 flasher (pretty sure you can find it for ~$40 in some places)
About your save data and stuff, use this app: tabinda.net/posts/playstation-3-cloud-drive/ and do periodic backups manually (no auto function as far as i know)
Finally, the restore procedure of the PS3 almost always fails because Sony fucked it up big time; i don't remember the exact explanation but due to how it's programmed even if the error were to be repairable under any other disk repair utility, the proprietary file system sucks ass. Some people have tried recovering data with dd cloning the disk or something, but it's a pain in the ass really.

The time it takes depends on the size of your HDD and how space is used. I made the mistake of filling my 1TB drive once and when i got the system restore error i was pretty much forced to make a backup of my PS3 library because the console isn't reliable as a storage device, now i got an external HDD for game folders/ISOs and i just transfer games as i play them, so if i get another error it won't be much time and effort lost.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but basically:
1) Have a backup of your games in another location
2) Periodically backup your save data files in a pendrive or through the google drive app
3) CFW won't be lost unless you install the OFW

P.S: If you want to save yourself the trouble and don't care about the data inside, simply reinstall rebug (or any CFW as long as it's the same or higher version than what you've already got installed) To do this, i think you need to access the recovery menu: semperthree.com/ps3recoverymenu.html

I don't remember much more, and PS3 scene has always been shit at organizing information so you've got outdated or disperse instructions all over the place in forums/wiki and whatnot.

Stop playing shit vidya. It not only kills your brain, it also kills your console.

Thanks for the explanation, user,I feel much better I literally went and take a big dump after reading your post. Most of my stuff is in an external HDD as well, but the internal size is 250gb, I think. I hope it gets done quickly, otherwise I can thy to repair it with any other disk repair utility? I can of care for the saves, but as long as it is operational… Will try cloud backups in the future, which was something I've always planned to do, considering there are a lot of power shortages where I live.

I've always wanted to do an archive of the basic tools and a FAQ for this kind of stuff. I only have this archived thread with really useful information. archive.is/MHMS1
I've wanted to compile everything in an OP and archive it in the share threads.

Did you know that That game is also the reason I started learning Japanese?
Blame the japs for not making better Kamen Rider games. It's pretty good for a Mussou,though, with a lot of variety. Shame the riding your vehicle is a pointless gimmick.

Battarider War runs in like 20 FPS on my PS3 I just said fuck that. Actually, there are more games I can name that have terrible terrible frame-rate. In general I'm kind of dissapointed with the PS3.

Also, Climax Heroes is nice, emulate the Wii version or something.

Is there any decent CFW for PS4? I got one earlier in the year as a gift and it's just been collecting dust.

I haven't had a single problem with PS3 frame-rate, most games are usually steady 30fps, except badly optimized ones, like Battride War Genesis, that it's just a shitty port of the PS4 version.
Way ahead of you, but I like Mussou better and Mussou makes a little more sense than just Riders fighting each other. Still, it's pleasant. As I said, I wish that Kamen rider games weren't just shovelware.

As far as I know, there's no PS4 CFW yet,at least not with piracy. Your best bet is to keep your PS4 in a low FW for the time someone makes a CFW for it, which I highly doubt after all the PS scene drama.

Oh boy. I think the process went 100%, and the PS rebooted, but now it ask me to do the whole process again.

ITS OVER

Even when modding is working its still a pain in the ass.

You can use webman to mount your games through the normal XMB without loading multiman. Makes thing a lot more simple.

I found that it normally happens, but I found no solution other than what suggested.

Bamp

Seriously? You're playing games for free. And with custom patches/free DLC bonuses and non-protected savedata among other conveniences. Having to select the game you want to play and wait 10 seconds for it to mount is more than worth it.

OP, as it has been said - your CFW is fine. That part is stored in the NAND/NOR of the system. The only ways to fuck your CFW would be by updating to OFW with a legit disc or manual sysupdate in settings.
What I'm guessing here is that your disk is crapping the bed, or your unstable crash-prone game caused some major data corruption.

Lots of power shortages, huh? I can say the same thing from where I am… Backups are definitely worth making. Good thing you have your games on an external - this should save you having to reacquire them. My internal disk is just 160GB so the externals come in handy for all the games.

Sometimes disk checks need two or three passes before things work again *cough*NTFS and chkdsk*cough*
Let it run as much as it wants until you get your XMB back. If it keeps looping and looping then it's probably too fucked up and the data is kaput. Should this be the case, stick the disk in a computer and check its SMART status.

Reformat it with the PC so that the PS3 will ask you to initialize the disc. Of course, all of your games and savedata will be gone (they probably already are, considering corruption) unless you got backups to restore.

Get a new HDD (laptop type, 500GB or 1TB would be best) and stick it in.

CAUTION: If you have a later phat or slim console the system will need the .PUP of the firmware in order to install shit (old phats store all of it in NAND/NOR instead). DO NOT feed it a legit PUP from Sony - if you do your CFW is gone. You have to feed it the PUP of whatever CFW version you had, or higher. If you were outdated with Rebug take the chance to go up to the latest version.

When you're back on the game, make periodic backups of your savedata. Install data backups aren't necessary.

Bump.

For what purpose?

i suppose hes having a similar but is woe to describe it to show weakness. or perhaps hes concerned about ops vidyamachine
or maybe hes a nigger

What I would give for a simple website like Wiibrew but for the PS3. I´ve had a CFW PS3 for quite some time now I´m the user running the 3TB PS3 in the archive and I still feel like I don´t know fully what I´m doing with my PS3. For example, I have no idea how to back up the internal drive or fuck with imported saves yet…

I'm actually OP but I'm not at home. I left my PS3 doing the system stuff.

There's brewology or something like that.

psdevwiki.com/ps3/Main_Page
Here you can find detailed info on a lot of stuff. Keep in mind that the PS3 uses a fucktarded mixed up encrypted filesystem with a per-console key on the HDD. If you want to directly access it on a PC you'll need to dump keys and use special software with Linux. psdevwiki.com/ps3/HDD_Encryption

If you want to back up specific parts of your internal drive (games, saves, emulator ROMS and whatnot) simply open multiman, hit Select+Start (not Start+Select, which is a different command) and you'll see mmOS. Use the sticks to navigate the file manager - open your hdd0 device and copy what you want to an usb external drive.

For a full drive backup for future restoration use the PS3's backup tool in XMB.

For imported saves, and many other functions regarding DLC, users and content, get Aldos' PS3 tools - a save resigner is included. You can either dump a save from any game you have to get your 'signing key' from it and sign your imported save with it or just set the imported save as 'null key' which is for testdev purposes, by turning on a debug function in CFW which removes 'per user' save limitations.

Last bump.