155 million units sold worldwide

Why was it so successful?

3DS just surpassed it.
3DS is shit.

Cheapest DVD Player.
Could also play some cheap games.

DVD

Are underages fucking posting threads nowadays?

DVD you stupid nigger. It's marketing wouldn't shut the fuck about about it either to trounce the Dreamcast at the time.

The 3DS hasn't even sold 100 million.

And they had every right to stick it to that shit console.
The Dreamcast got away with a lot of shit it shouldn't have, and it gets too much credit for things it didn't pioneer or help push along.

VMU was just Pocketstation 1.5

Online gaming had been done decades before the Dreamcast, and the dumb fucks didn't release enough LAN adapters to make the system last into the rapidly growing broadband market.

Controllers were a poor man's Xbox -s, and the fucking cords came out the wrong end. (also you still had to buy AN EXTERNAL VIBRATION UNIT THAT TOOK UP A POTENTIAL MEMORY CARD SLOT HOLY FUCK DID NOBODY IN THIS SHITHOLE COMPANY LEARN FROM THE N64)

Not only could you NEVER play DVDs on it, the disc format the fuckwads chose could barely hold 1GB of data, and they were so insecure you'll never need to do anything but put a CD-R bootdisk to bypass any lockout software/hardware.

All the games looked like shit. Sure, they looked better than what was before them, but fucking ANYTHING would look better than what the fuck was out there.

The only two things that hold the Dreamcast dear to people's hearts are

1: Sonichu levels of nostalgia

2: The few "exclusive" games. Most of which found new life on other consoles IN THE SAME FUCKING GENERATION AS THE DREAMCAST

The PS2 also looks better than the Dreamcast.

Because it had

VIDEOGAMES
IDEOGAMES
DEOGAMES
EOGAMES
OGAMES
GAMES
AMES
MES
ES
S
ES
MES
AMES
GAMES
OGAMES
EOGAMES
DEOGAMES
IDEOGAMES
VIDEOGAMES

I didn't know Dreamcast fans populated 8ch. Riding on the popularity of the original PlayStation and not having a history of fucking up their consumers by selling too many add-ons only to abandon them helped a lot too.

Pretty sure the VMU came out first, since the DC was launched in '98 in Japan and the Pocketstation was in '99.

Otherwise, everything else is spot-on. Sega fans (especially the Dreamcast-worshiping ones) are like the Amiga fans of console gamers. Too stuck in the past.

what did he mean by this?

nobody thinks the dreamcast was sega's first online console

Why would a Sonygger be butthurt if the PS2 was the most successful of the sixth gen consoles? If anything, it's Dreamcast fans who are mad because the PS2 killed off Sega's entire hardware business (what was left of it anyway by 2001).

ps2 didn't kill it, soa and soj's bad decisions over the course of a decade did.

It was a mercy kill at any rate.

gay sex??

sony had nothing to do with it.

This.

u after sucking million dick for breakfst

Not directly, but Sega's desperation to outdo their competitors was a huge factor in many of their bad business decisions.

yep, and instead of doing the smart thing in a lot of cases they tried to best their competition. Saturn would have been a clear winner over the N64, I imagine beating it by a few million units if SoA had actually bothered bringing games over and didn't have that retarded launch. Too easily pressured and intimidated and failed to acknowledge their position in the market and maintain momentum.

it actually had fucking video games.

I fucking love the Dreamcast but this guy is absolutely right. Get over yourselves faggots.

That said, it was because muh DVD player. Which is one of the main factors of why Dreamcast fucking failed. Because it was an expensive games console in a era where you had to be a multipedia machine as well. Nintendo got away with it because it was super cheap compared to the others.

as someone who was a sony fanboy for over a decade, to say the PS2 didnt sell mostly for the fact that it was a DVD player is to admit you're a fucking retard.

Why haven't games companies realized that when it comes to consoles, piracy is not always bad for business? Sure it fucks up game companies, but not console companies. More people will buy a console if they safely hack it to pirate games on it. Ain't no one got money to buy all the fucking games. And with rent stores closing down, there's just nothing else. When did the console market stop thinking about the lower and middle class?

To be fair, in part piracy was what killed the Dreamcast.
But here is the thing, the PS2 was cheap to produce and to sell, while dreamcast was not. Selling tons of cheap stuff you make is pretty profitable.
Also, there's the fact that the piracy in the Dreamcast was an inside job, and as so, a lot of developers refused to make games on it. I also heard that it was a pain to make games for it.

I europe nobody ever talked about the Dreamcast. The Xbox looked like its games were aimed at adults and it seemed like it had way less games. So when it came to children parents were choosing the PS2. I remember how all the kids had mostly PS2s and only few got an Xbox or a Gamecube.

It had a DVD player and even more shovelware on it than the Wii.

Piracy.

It had games. More than any console ever.

It wasn't just a DVD player, it was the _cheapest_ DVD player for a long time.

I dont even know, kids are fucking dumb, I suppose. Holla Forums loved to go on and on about its "amazing library" as well, same with GBA. Doesn't seem better than PS1, SNES, GameCube, or 3DS even. Let alone PS2.

Thanks Ken Kutaragi

Incorrect. The platform owner profits directly on all game sales, and furthermore has an obligation to protect their licensees to the best of their ability. In practice that sometimes hurts them via low install base numbers such as with the Vita, but they can't just ignore security threats. That's why Sony immediately issued a patch for HENkaku even though the system is already effectively dead in the market. They have to maintain publishers' trust that they will protect their closed ecosystem because that's the only way their bloated business models work.

I consider the GBAs library to include the GameBoy and Gameboy Color libraries as well. Some people think its not fair to include backwards compatibility, but I consider the Gameboy line a "platform" in the same sense as the PC is a platform.

If we count the sales of every console in the Gameboy line we get roughly 190 million consoles sold

It actually capitalized on the world wide market.
You can easily buy a PS2 in a third world shit hole. The only console to do that before PS2 was the NES but that was only because of its countless famiclones.

DVD player.
Also Europe and the UK never liked Nintendo or Microsoft. Hell the PS3 outsold the 360 in Europe.

Also fucking this, PS2s are still being sold in the stores here even after Sony stopped producing it (also rentals if you are too poor for it), but good luck finding og PS2 games here since it's just bootlegged shit through and through

you're saying it like it's strange

In the USA the 360 outsold the PS3 by a comfortable margin (about 150% of its sales). To American anons it's fairly strange.

In fact the PS3 appears to have performed better than the 360 in every major non-US market.

The economy stupid.

Seriously everyone was loaded with cash. Mobile didn't exist yet so even the Japanese bought it.

I don't think you understand the Japanese video game market user.

I understand that the PS2 sold 20 million units in Japan alone. I understand that Granblue had the biggest stand at TGS. I understand that videogames are shit now.

Only is japan you retard

Brain age

When will this meme end?

N64 sold like 1/3 as much, and Saturn sold about 1/3 of that.

Sigh Americans.

The Playstation won that gen handily. You guys just got scammed by NoA into buying the N64-a console even Japan didnt want.

GTA, FF, MGS and many many others.

As someone who was actually there when the PS2 launched and isn't just posturing about it on anonymous image boards, you're full of shit. The DVD support gave it a slight advantage over the Dreamcast, but it hardly was the only contributing factor. If DVD was the only reason for the PS2's success, then the Nuon should've been a runaway hit (it wasn't).

I'm sure there were already cheaper low-end DVD players by 2000, since the technology debuted in 1998.

The Game Boy Micro isn't backwards compatible with pre-GBA games though.

I dunno about your experience but of the two friends I had as a kid that had PS2, both their dads and mine mainly bought it as a DVD player.

96 in Japan and 97 everywhere else, actually, but your point is correct. In 2000 for the price of a PS2 it was possible to buy a Dreamcast and a budget standalone DVD player and have a little money left over. If anyone actually did buy a PS2 as a "cheap DVD player," then they overpaid by quite a lot. I'm not saying that DVD playing was not a factor at all, but it was definitely more of a bonus than a primary use case.

On the main subject, I think a lot of why it was so successful came down to Sony courting developers and a lot of doubt cast on the competing consoles in terms of developer support. Fair or not, the Dreamcast was seen as a machine for Sega games (especially arcade ports), the Gamecube as a machine for Nintendo games, and the PS2 as a machine for a broader array of content. No one had any idea what would actually happen with the Xbox. If someone was buying into the generation early, and they didn't want to wind up buying more than one console to have access to a wide variety of games, the PS2 was the safest bet in the first couple years of its release, especially when backwards compatibility is taken into account.
In the end, it's always about the library.