Rate this series, in your honest opinion, from best to worst

Rate this series, in your honest opinion, from best to worst.

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=60367542
romhacking.net/hacks/563/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1=5=9(=FFT)
4=7
10=12

11=NA because I don't mmo

FFT = 6
7 = 4

I expect to see a lot of 2s in the last place.

Granted it's been years since i've played a final fantasy so my rankings may be a little innacurate but:

Favourite: FFtactics = FFIV = FFVI = FFIX = Tactics Ogre:LUCT

Good: FFVII,VIII,FFTA,FFV,FFXII:revanant wings,MobiusFF

Average/Dissapointing: FFXIII(good soundtrack though)FFTA2(Gameplay was good, music was good, story was plain dissapointing)

Didn't Like: FFIII,FFII,

Average:

I just realize we both forgot 13 existed.

So did I.

Wasn't even made by Square dude.

I thought they skipped XIII and went straight for XIV.

I'm just messing about. I just put it up there because it plays a lot like FFtactics, with a FFT:WOTL-esque storyline, with the same composer and extremely similar artstyle.

I tend to consider it as both a tactics ogre and Final Fantasy game, even though it isn't

Place 1 equal to 9

6>5>4>7>XV>1>3>2>12>9>8>10>13

oh and FF tactics > all

2 is my favorite tho.

That's pretty good taste overall, though I'd swap 4 and 6's places.

FFT > 6 > 5 >4 > 7 > 10 > 9 > 1 > 12 > shit > 15> 3 > 8 > 2 > 13

Fixed that for you

Who taught you guys maths?

15>14>13>12>11>10>9>8>7>6>5>4>3>2>1

Did you play the PSP version? Very good.

7 = 6 > 4> 9 > 8 > 5 > 10 > 15 > 12 > 13

i can't decide between 7 or 6, so 7 is the best 3d and 6 is the best 2d but both are equally great to me.

Oi Bruv!

nigger X is shit tier X-2 was at least a bit better and I bet you haven't even played XV.

Haven't played all of them, but
4>6>TacticsA>10>9>1>Explorers

6>9>10>1>7>12
I haven't played the rest.

For combat it's got probably the best iteration of the job system seen to date, for everything else it's an idol-pandering sequel to a game that didn't need one. Also they wrote out Lulu and replaced her with near-identical Payne because her personality and bust-size made her unsuitable for a flat-chested pubescent model like the Japs like.

that's a spin off based on crystal chronicles which is far more fun than any of the "main story line" games

More of a MonHun knockoff with Crystal Chronicles influences.

It's influenced by neither in both gameplay and aesthetics, it's shit, and I spent over 100 hours on it because it was fun as fuck

monhun knockoff

y-yeah! I sure love me some repetitive "slay Eidolon x" and if that wasn't enough they put in the colorswapped donut steel Eidolons in as well!
I also spent 100+ hours in it, it's a huge fucking letdown no matter how you put it

4 = 6 > FFTA = 5 > 1 > 2

I thought 5's party members were a little bland, but it's been ages since I played it, I should give it another go.

As for 2, it's got some nice music, but I'm not used to SaGa's way of leveling/improving your characters, I had to cheese Pandemonium with lifestealing weapons. I couldn't finish Soul of Rebirth.

I'll take things that never happened for $250.

Aberrant Leviathan is the worst fucking battle

The power creep form the ability mutations really hooked me. I reached a point where I my damage averaged 5- 7k and I learned that the Acala auto crit damage could stack with normal crit (or was it death, I have no fucking clue, I just stacked all the mutations I could into every single attack), resulting in 100k damage, which pretty much half-healths the boss online, or practically instantly kills them offline. It also didn't help that all my attacks stole HP and deflecting attacks would heal me. It's absolutely fucking insane.

1 is just a super enjoyable light dungeon crawling adventure with at worst a tiny bit of grinding if your team needs expensive gear but is otherwise just unoffensive fun.
6 is almost perfect but I hated everything about the final dungeon.
I never got the hate for 7, but then I played it on release and not after playing KH. Loved the materia system, the graphics, the music. Shit was mindblowing when it came out.

4 is almost 13 tier linear but luckily isn't 13 tier everything else.
5 is here because I played the version with the YARRing Faris.
9 is here because because the story goes mental near the end and random battles take an age to load.
10 is here because it has my favorite battle system of the series.

2,3,8,10-2,12,13.
2 I played a few hours of and didn't enjoy so I stopped.
3 is same as 2.
8 level scaling killed it, and no, I know you can use card and not draw but it still takes an age and the player should have to resort to such measure to begin with as the player should not have been punished for leveling.
10-2 made me want to bring back sin. The world is completely degenerate without it so go on Yuna, be the next Yu-Yevon. Also ATB and the Job system don't make me wet my panties; they weren't revolutionary or original when they were debuted, here they're just tired.
12 reeks of wasted opportunity and the MMO combat doesn't appeal. I also hate the technoification of Ivalice and the shitty nomura motifs in the designs of everything from architecture to airships to clothes.
13 I've honestly never gotten passed the 1st area, I compulsively alt+f4 everytime some cringy dialogue starts, which is every time a character opens their mouth.

Tactics, I've played the first hour or so twice and got so bored out of my mind. I didn't like Tactics Ogre either.
Tactics Advance, is down here because it would trigger the Tactics fags if I put it in enjoyed. Spent at least a hundred hours on it as a kid; made a party that could win a battle without magic or physical attacks, guess I'm not much of a storyfag. Now I have to leave the thread while the SRPG grognards go apeshit.

9>5>12IZJS>6>7>3>4>2>12>1>8>trash>your waifu>15>13

Dragon Quest bonus!
3>5>4>6>8>7>2>1>9

please for the love of god sauce?
reverse image search just brings me to some nip's twitter and I don't read moon.

of the ones I've played
4>7>10>6>13

fucking this dumb nigger, as if Leviathan wasn't shit enough by washing you all the way back to the entrance, this nigger one hits you with an attack that covers 99% of the inside of that dumb sandstorm

From what I played:
9, 4, 1, 10-2, Crisis Core, 7, Type-Zero, 15, 8, 13-2, 10, 13, DoC, 3, 2
8 is my favorite because it's a broken mess but even I can say it isn't good. 15 is alright but isn't the Kingdom Hearts Final Fantasy edition I wanted.

1, 4, 5, 6, Tactics
3, 7, 9
2, 10, Tactics A2, 12DS

Haven't played 12 yet, intend to. I played the DS sequel first just cuz it was found in a used shop and on handheld.

Never ever going to touch 13 or 15
I don't play MMOs

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=60367542

Oh, Bravely Default gets tier 2
Bravely Second gets Tier 3

Nope, get into my oven.

Bravely Second is a vastly superior game to BD, mechanically, storywise, less fucking loops.

5>6>9>6>10>11>8>14>7>3>15>2>4>1>Shit>13

To explain the placement of some of the more derisive entries and to note i think every game but 13 to actually be good.

FF11 is good in spite of being a MMO due the rather nice Job System and amazing moodsetting music, the main flaw is that being a MMO you are discouraged to actually experiment and even attempt fun things with it due the EXP loss and heavy party focus.

10 was linear, but saved by CTB and having a pretty fun battle system on that line, unlike 13, it also has MUH CONTROLLABLE SUMMONS, which was nice.

8 is just so bad it is good tier, and is like 5 incredibly diverse in the ways you can break the game, Triple Triad, Level Minmaxing, Weapon crafting, Doing well on your SEED Exam (Results in a very high starting salary, letting you use more items then usual), if you can get past the Min Maxing mentality it is pretty fun since you can hit adequate powerleves without grinding, it is just a whole fucking bundle of theoretically interesting ideas, which fascinates me, the issue is that it just encourage complacency (Buy those Tents refine Curaga and then just shuffle your limits over and over and run from battles since levels are "empty").

I just think 7 suffers badly from being the first foray into 3D which, despite being rather similar to 6 just ends up shooting down my enjoyment for it, it doesn't help that the appeal points it did have have been increasingly downplayed ever since the COMPILATION started, this one i know is major personal preference, funnily enough it was my first FF that i tried at a friends place, but the intro bored me to stop playing, though i think that was more due my English skills not being up to snuff for a RPG yet.

4 gets props for establishing the ATB but frankly? Job System is of greater importance to me, and the whole "PARTY MEMBER DIES" thing reached a point where it just felt like a joke, GBA>DS for the record, as far as FFs go it is basically what i would consider Vanilla, even more so then FF1 since FF1 predates most FF "things".

5 got Chocobos, Moogles, Job System, Crystals, Fun Protagonists (and Antagonists), Customization up the ass, the best "Party Member Dies" moment and a killer soundtrack, It is THE FF.

And he will always be Butz to me.

Bonus Round:
FFT is good and FF5-tier, FFTA is also fun, but suffers with the plot comparatively, Tactics Ogre has god-tier plot and blows both of them out of the water, but the actual battle system in it is sadly flawed.

Post the rest of that orc or get out

9>7=6>4>5>3>10>14>12>1>2>8=13

Haven't played 15 or 11 so I can't fairly place those.

Thank you dubs-senpai!
polite sage for off topic

non stop testicular puns make me cringe

to be honest 5 is the kind of FF game for people who are no longer impressed by the stories of FF games and just want more solid game-play. In terms of mechanics and balance and challenge FF5 is the best. I mean how many times can you be actually impressed with the world being destroyed in FF6 or flying to the moon in FF4? Story in video games is overrated and inherently superfluous even in the best jrpgs.

Fuck, i messed up, 15 is supposed to be after 4.

I better clarify that before someone Cup Noodles me.

Pitiful.

Don't be such a ba'al buster.

9 is great, heretics like you will be purged for your sins.

FF Tactics is the pinnacle if you allow spin offs. FF proper peaked at 6. 4 was the next best, then 10, then 5, then 1.

Fuck the rest. Fuck FF7, FF8, FF9, FF11, FF12, FF13, FF14, and FF15.

6=7>5=4>9>3>8>10=12>1>2
I haven't played any of the others.

how is that a pun on anything balls related?

oh you are one of those faggots who thought FF10 was "great" too. for fuck sake 12 is better then 10.

[God tier]6>5>4
[good tier]7>XV>1
[mediocre tier]3>2>12>9
[meh tier]>8>10
[unplayable shit tier]>13

thank you user

You have six on there twice.

9 was the last great FF ya faggot

and the fuck do you mean, how was the nonstop Ba'al puns not balls related?

wait you called 15 good? but 9 bad?

the entire world is making fun of this game
it doesnt even deserve the final fantasy name

Good catch, it's the earlier one that's the one that count.

He's a shill. Square hates FF9 because it reminds them of the sort of game they can't make anymore.

Crystal Chronicles, 1, 3, 5
6, 8, TA, FFA

Haven't played any others or didn't play them enough to rate due to a shitty start aside from 14 but that doesn't work on this list.

gud taste, go play 4 and 2

How I wish they could, FF9 had some of the best developed characters in Square's history.

NES: III > I > II
SNES: VI > V > IV
PSX: VII >= VIII I didn't play IX
PS2: I only played X and XI
Gen 7: LOL fuck lightning and everything she's involved in
[Current Year]: LOL fuck Backstreet Fantasy 15 and XIV is still pay to play. I'll play that game in 2030 when the official servers are a ghost town and people have set up private servers somewhere
Over all: III > VI > V = I [GBA/PSX version] > II [GBA/PSX version] > VII = VIII > XI > X
3 > 6 > 5 = 1 > 2 > 7 = 8 > 11 > 10 for retards who can't into roman numerals

how is there any testicle puns in this sentence?
shit taste

do you base all your opinions on what others tell you? FF15 is a great game dude. Sure at first its easily to laugh at the dushy dude bro outfits and assume that because its not turn based that its bad, but its actually one of the best FF games in years. The aside form FF7 PS1-PS2-PS3 era was cancer, I am glad its finally coming to an end. World of Final Fantasy and 15 are better games then FF8-13.

Beatrix and short haired Dagger was the only good thing about 15 second load screen 9.

It's kinda sad i had more fun with WoFF then FF15 since it is pretty obvious WoFF didn't get a sliver of the budget or time dedicated to it.

It also had a much better Ifrit.

so, how is XV? any good? would they better have needed 12 full years to make?

WoFF's battle system is really interesting too. I hope the make a sequel and add a third stack.

What bullshit. IX wasn't the last great Final Fantasy, it wasn't even good for its fucking time. Square hates it because it sold badly compared to VII and VIII, which was because it was unpopular with most FF fans. Only hipsters like FFIX.

Everyone has only posted XIII, and not the direct sequels. Is everyone including the sequels under XIII, or are they not work mentioning at all?

Also I hate that all the FXIII's came to PC, because I've wanted to play a good PS2-era+ JRPG, but I only have a PC, so it's like it's taunting me.

Chrono Trigger = Seiken Densetsu 3 > FF Series

I can't rate them individually but:

Top Tier - Tactics, Tactics Advanced 2, 5, 6, 12, 15.

Middling Tier: 1,

Okay Tier: 2, 3

Shit Tier: 4, 10, 13

Didn't play Tier: 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, Tactics Advanced 1

FFT > 9 > 6 > 5 > FFTA > 10 > 13 > 4 > 8 > 13-3 > 13-2 > 10-2 > 12 > 3 > 7 > 2 > 1
I enjoy the 13 series and 10-2 a lot more than is indicated by their ranking, but their stories are very weak. 12 is low because I found it tedious. 7 is low because I really wasn't impressed with its story, and its battle/job system pales compared to what I ranked above it IMO. Haven't played the MMOs or 15 yet.

5 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 6 > 4 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 12 > 7 > 13 > 8
ez
as for MMOs, 14 is probably best on the market right now (not a compliment, given its genre) and 11 was fun for its time but has not aged well.

if they make a sequel hopefully there is ether way more end game content or the whole game is harder because the only downside of WoFF was how easy it was until post-game.

The best way to put it is "Shallow Marketing Machine" and flawed as fuck, or "Reverse XIII" in that it starts open and THEN becomes a corridor and while XIII had Auto-Move Auto Combat, XV at least has some more degree of control if you want it (unlikely since that is unnecessary).

The battle system was gutted and it is very very tellingly so, especially with how poorly explained shit is, for example, Link Strikes, they SEEM to be random, but you need to do specific attacks to trigger them AND they are on a cooldown so if you make one you can't make one with that character again for a while, neither of these thing are mentioned in game

Remember how in XII there were hunts that you could undertake that had bits of lore and world building in their descriptions and in the beastiary? Well, no such thing here despite SHITLOADS of them and it would been prime opportunity to throw some in.

Many MANY key plot points are in outside material like Brotherhood and Kingsglaive and rather obvious in the DLC episodes (Hey, let's reveal Prompto was Magitek all along 1 hour from the ending and it causing absolutely no drama or have any consequence aside from him being a key to one fucking door, Wanna know why Noodle Man left the part for one dungeon? DLC!)

Futhermore it is INSANELY easy to overlevel to the point the story is a joke, especially since the Sidequests will basically require you to do so if you wanna follow the "recommended" levels, and once you overlevel combat basically becomes "Warp Strike to Enemy, Hold Circle and then Warp Strike for the finishing blow so you actually get AP"

Which brings me to another point, the ABSURDLY DISJOINTED Character Progression, as noted it is easy to overlevel, but that's just it, LEVELS, the IMPORTANT progression is made with AP, which is so very very scarce unless you actively exploit mechanics and get the AP giving shit first, and Salt on the wounds is that the newly released DLC adds accessories that give AP depending on your Battle Rank (+1 AP for every category that hits A or above), which is HOW IT SHOULD FUCKING WORKED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That the whole part shares AP progression ALSO means you can completely miss shit like Ignis Healing skills and Promptos Crowd Control, shit that is vital to make them not useless since they are competing with Noctis own progression and QoL upgrades, which most people will pick first.

Oh, and the Post-Game Bonus dungeons have Character Specific equipment that would been great to have earlier on to make up for that fact.

Oh, and New Game+ doesn't reset your level apparently, like it doesn't even give you a option to, likely to try to sell the previously mention DLC that fixes the AP gain since you get like 1 AP per character level-up, furthermore the game is in a bit of annoying place in that while being level 99 will let you curbstomp the story and most "normal" you will basically just scratch the optional "Superbosses" who are 10 minute-1 hour affairs depending on your equipment (the worthwhile Equips being from previously mentioned dungeons, which due being populated with "normal" enemies will also be a very long winded monotone joke for the most par or from OTHER Superbosses.).

And there are also bugs out the Wazoo, i hat the camera stuck zoomed in on Noctis butt until a Save-Reload and had the Summon theme start blaring in the middle of battle without giving the summon prompt and then CONTINUE after the battle until i sleep or save-reload, and monsters completely stop spawning until a Save-Reset.

Basically, it is pretty shit but better then XIII because you have a bit more control and it blows its load earlier, but it essentially becomes more and more boring as you realize how shallow and surprisingly grindy it is… AFTER you hit level cap.

Played the shit out of 9, you're a retard

And obviously I'm referring to the game, not that sentence. Since you can't comprehend that it's pretty fucking clear you are mentally disabled.

Put your head in an oven

7=8=10=FFT
2=3
4=6

I never played 9 or 12.

Yeah. For some reason they had a few limited edition versions on the PSP (same with persona 2) so I got a couple.

I haven't completed everything, but have clocked in about 80 hours before I stopped.

In game, the party is a group called Agnes' Avengers. Later, they become Ba'al Busters. Then they are called Agne's Ba'al Busting Avengers, or ABBA.

I really need to sit down and play this.

I haven't played 3, 9, Lightning's Armpits, or Cup Noodle. My first was a demo of 10, but I got hooked with FFTA and FFCC. My first mainline for real was the original on GBA and I didn't play VII until 2010. I'm only going to list mainline games. I didn't hate any of them, but 2 was just boring to me and I can't get into breaking 8.

5 > 7 > 4 > 1 > 12 > 10 > 8 > 2

Has anyone tried to fix Final Fantasy 2 by giving it the traditional leveling system, or is it impossible?

The leveling system isn't the only problem with FF2, it's a constant back and forth of meaningless busywork.

Best translation, but shitty music quality. The rom with the music restoration patch is often considered to be the best version of FF6.

ah thanks

wew, you ff9 fans are almost as bad as Sonic fans.

Why is 2 in last and 8 near the bottom.

Also, learn how to write correctly you uneducated cunt.

Why can't I find that doujin anywhere
pls halp

Here

because I'm not retarded.

silly nigger, I was quoting the other guy.

Were you also quoting someone when you wrote:

that is not a cameltoe, that is an elephant ass

What about non-main FF games like Crisis Core, Type 0, All the bravest?

Had my eyes on Type-0 but haven't tried it, Dissidia 012 is 10/10

I played a few missions on Type-0 and it felt kinda slow, but maybe it's because I was sleepy as fuck that day. Dissidia is 10/10 though

If there was one thing about 9 that was absolutely NOT mediocre, it was the ass.

time for you to got back to your containment board.

that is and Beatrix are the reaming quality of that shit 15-20 second hidden load screen per battle game.

I know that feel

I'm not experiencing this loading issue you seem to be so upset about, but I share your frustration with the fact there's such little art of Beatrix. Just something about tiddies in armor man.

he means the fly the camera does around the characters before each battle actually begans, the fact he got to look at the girls eased this part that he seems to find annoying

He's referring to the "dynamic" intro to each and every fight in FF9 which is probably a thinly-veiled loading screen for battle elements.

But it's not even that bad. It's just a few seconds long, and it gives you time to take a bite of whatever snack you're eating while you're playing. ADHD mongrels need to go.

that's not a typo, that's
HERESY

its literally 15 seconds before every battle. You have 3 seconds before the music starts 5 seconds of black screen before it even loads the background and 10 seconds of it panning around the room. Mind you I never played the PC version where you can turn off "dynamic intro". I am talking about the PS1 version.

Yes, that is not a typo. 15 is actually good game. FF13 is the worst in the entire series. You should actually play it instead of listening and believing™.

I'm playing it with the dynamic intro too and it doesn't feel that long to me.

It's definitely something you don't really notice in the thick of it but with the option to turn it off that the recent rereleases get you it can get a bit infuriating going back to the original and having to put up with it.

but even if not for the load screens the story is mostly dog shit and I hate the monkey Zidane, the neurotic kike (((Steiner)), the furfag Freya, the Jar Jar Binks Quina, the loli bate Eiko, and the rasta nigger Amarant. The only good shit is Vivi, Beatrix and Dagger.

maybe the PC version is not as bad as the PS1? I does seem to run a bit better when I emulated it. I finally forced myself to beat it this year for the first time but I honestly never want to play through that dog shit ever again. It was honestly painful to force myself to play through it.

Wow, a game with load times. How awful.

I'm having a blast and it's the first time I've played it. In my opinion if it had the materia system, it'd be 9/10.

It is better than 13, obviously. But from 8 to 12, it's just not better. and the worst in the series is 2

IV, V, VI, VII, IX, XII, and Tactics are the only ones worth a play.

Come on fags.

6/10, I guess. Maybe 5 or 7. I am a fan of the series, but it does have tons of bad or weak games.

Some good games, some really good games, some mediocre games, some really shitty games.

My favorites would be 1 (on the PSP), 5, 6, 9, 12 (IZJS) and Tactics. This is all from memory. Haven't replayed them (except 1 and Tactics, and 12 a little bit). In general, I like having a job system in my FFs. If it doesn't have one, it's generally not a good sign as far as I'm concerned.

However, if the story makes the team and constantly switches between different characters, then it's a shit game. And that game would be 4. I tried it again and honestly, I fucking hate it. Fuck the past. It's a shit game now, so it was a shit game back then. The fact that I liked it back then doesn't matter.

7 is good, but I tried to play it again recently and going through the story again was way too boring. I can still see why it was so overrated back then, though. It's an impressive game. Not something that you should play twice, probably.

12 is the most recent that I have played, so I don't have anything to say about 13. Never played the MMOs either.

2 isn't bad, but it's difficult to get into. Still never playing it again, but it was worth doing it at least once. I only beat the PSP version (which is the best version).

I didn't like Dissidia. It's not bad, but it's way too weird for me. I like fighting games of all types and I like RPGs, but I don't like whatever the hell that was. I think I just don't get it, and I don't feel like trying any harder.

They're different and therefore bad.

speaking of dissidia, how's the new one look, last I heard it had Ramza in it and he was OP as fuck

Seiken Densetsu 3 is fucking dogshit

5/10
Generic as fuck, but this is acceptable since it cemented the formula in the first place

Didn't play. Looks like 1 with better graphic anyway.

7/10
Flawed by highly enjoyable. I unironically like graphics and art style of low poly lego men and how they contrast with summons and shit.
My first jrpg too.

8/10
One of the best JRPGs ever. Top tier world building, characters, design and combat.
Magic system could use some work and realistic graphics is not good idea when you're dealing with PS1 hardware.

2/10
Boring piece of shit. Worse than 1. Only good thing about it are visuals.

1/10
What the fuck were they thinking?

5/10
Good combat and class system. Shit everything else

lol

9/10
Combat is shit, but everything else is top tier.

1/10
Basically real 10-2. While 10-2 was more of 7-2.

Didn't play. What even the fuck

Top lol

Didn't play. Looks meh

3/10
Some sort of ultra cut-down combat of 12 with 7 skin and emo faggots instead of 7's characters

Didn't play.

8/10
Menus are bitch and bdsm clothes don't suit the world, otherwise great game

6/10
Boring but functional. Basically poor man's tactics ogre.

3/10
Poor man's tactics. What the hell

Type-0 is decent, it's pretty much edgy KH. Haven't finished it though. Use the fan translation if you must.

The main issue with Type-0 is that it is basically counter intuitive for the most part.

Eidolons for example, while the idea to sacrifice a Party member to basically get GOD MODE for 2 minutes is a great idea fact is that even a SINGLE "death" fucking tanks your mission ranking, which is basically you main source of good equipment and the fact that some of the party members are just plain better then others, Ranged ones who hit just as hard as the melee ones and at a Range and Rem who is basically all in a class of her own despite having Space-Aids due the absurd Magic and MP (Making her the Best Auto-Dodge/Ultima User) she got and her Free Reraise for FUN EIDOLON SPAM if you only wanna get through the main plot.

And a bit of a bad habit to kill off characters a bit too quickly.

It is rather interesting with metric FUCK TONS of missables and definitely the best Fabula Nova Title, mostly because the competition shot itself in the foot, but still.

Dissidia is fun, but it suffers in that "End Game" Single Player you are basically looking at "WHO CAN LAND A HP ATTACK FIRST" since you (and your opponent) start with 9999 Brave and is over in 5-20 seconds, it is at its most fun early/midgame.

4's just boring. The gameplay is as bland and basic as can be, and the plot and characters aren't all that great either (much better than other console RPGs at the time like Phantasy Star II, but that's not saying much).

Is the DS remake any better? I heard it made the game a lot more difficult and added mechanics to make it more interesting.

Final Fantasy 8 was good I don't care what you niggers say

No. The DS remake is shit. It's even worse than the other versions, and it's the one that I played more recently. The PSP version is still garbage because it's a remake of a garbage game, but it's the best version that more accurately represents the original (like the FF1 remake, which is really damn good). But of course, it's still boring and the story still ruins the gameplay.

The DS game is basically impossible unless you get all the new items that they added (that give characters new skills). You can also grind, of course, but the experience that you get is negligible (even though a lot of them kill the whole team before you can do anything) and no one but Cecil can survive the random battles in the final area anyway. You can always teleport, but then good luck beating Zeromus.

You have no freedom to work on your team in that game. The DS version gives you more options… through single-use items that you can permanently miss, and makes everything harder so that you are forced to follow a guide and get everything, and grind a lot. Most characters will always be too weak to survive, and on top of that miss out on experience because they just can't survive any battles.

Exploration, of course, is pointless, because the game is almost completely linear.

And then there's the annoyance of having to fully heal after every single battle. It actually took me a long time to make any progress in the game, because I never wanted to play it, because it's just not fun. I think it took me 2 years of playing a little bit here and there to get to Zeromus and then I just quit.

I mostly play as Whip-Lightning, Yugi and spear guy.

I'd rather play the GBA version with patches, the Final Fantasy PSP remakes are fucking ugly.

When you're not playing them in native they sure are.

Looks straight out of RPG Maker

I like how they look.

The GBA ports always seem to have some issues, from what I have heard.

Anyway, I did play on a real PSP. Probably looks better on a small screen.

The remake of FF1 also had all of the extra dungeons from the PS1 port (the version that I originally played back in the day). I really like those. They are pretty unique.

5 > 6 > 4 > 9 > 3 > 1 > 12 > 2 > 8 > 10 > shit > 13

MMOs and spin offs excluded, haven't played 15 to make a judgment.

They're all worth playing through at least once, I replay most of em yearly. I've enjoyed every game except 13+.

Kill yourself nigger lover

I love 8 too, but its problems have gotten harder for me to ignore as time goes by.

The balancing is almost non-existent (game is way too easy) and the story's paced really badly at times. I can't shake the feeling that something's missing from it, like Square had more plans for the game but couldn't fit it on 4 discs.

FF8 needs a remake more than 7 does.

Tellah goes from (base) 7 speed (level 16) to a staggering 3 speed as he makes his way to level 99

I was one of the people who disliked FF8 with a passion. I played it for some hours and noticed the difficulty rising ever more. Then I just gave up. After a year I got back into it and realized I was just too retarded to abuse the mechanics. I was always broke and weak but doing the SEED test at the beginning and drawing spells would have made me invincible from the beginning.

Then I really enjoyed it for the rest. I already fucked up my save (missed some GF) but it was still enjoyable. Drawing spells and inflating your stats, capturing tomberry and the cactus guy or beating ultima weapon in this den. What I disliked is that you can fuck up your save completely. Once you leave disc 3 you can never return to sidequests again.

About the other FFs I played so far:

I am usually not a fan of medieval or steampunk-themed settings but this game really did it well. The only thing that made we mad was the random encounter rate I played the SNES version. Liked it very much. Sabin and Edgar best characters

I loved the atmosphere, the setting, the soundtrack, the materia system and pretty much everything. pretty good game.

I enjoyed it very much for the summons and the turn-based battle system. The tropical setting was a nice change and soundtrack was fitting the tropic setting.

Very linear game and every single character is more annoying than Squall, Tidus and Cloud combined. Then after following the hallway for 40 hours you get into a plain with side quests. There you can go explore the local nature and do side quests. When you leave it to the other side, it becomes hallway simulator again until the end. Still have to try out FF13-2 people say this one was better

I played it for roughly 5 hours and it just was not for me. I just can't play anything with weird art design and steampunk settings. However, it does go back to the roots and I understand why many people like it.

For the future I plan on playing:
FF10-2
FF12
FF13-2

Hello retard.

Yep.

best tier - tactics, 9, 11
great tier 5, 14, 7, 12
good tier 4, 6, 10, 10-2, 13-2, 1, 15, 3, 8
bad teir - 13, 13-3, 2

Im an indecisive fuck.

Yes 9 is not total dog shit, Its just a bit better then FF10. FF13, 8 and 10 are the worse in the entire series. see:
granted, its all relative I still even enjoy playing ff8, and can tolerate 10. 13 is the only unplayable game.

Never played one. What should I start with?

IX (PSX): Favourite overall
X (PS2): Most memorable / influential FF game, Most time spent overall), Best summon system, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
V (GBA): Holy shit why didn't I play this when it first came out, Best main protagonist
IV (PSX/DS) = VII (PSX): Nostalgia goggles (Liked more as a kid)
II (GBA): Ahead of its time
III (DS): Surprisingly good and memorable
VI (SNES): Unpopular opinions, Bugs galore
I (GBA): The Baseline
XIII-2 (PC): I can't believe it's not Lightning!™, Surprisingly not complete shit
XIII (PC): Train Simulator 2010, Worst main protagonist, ~40 hours to the 'good' parts and then after that it's back to Train Simulator 2010, Complete shit

Next game on my to-do list is VIII, then X-2 and finally XII (don't think I'm going to even bother finishing the XIII series honestly).

I would go with 5. It's got the second best class/job system in the series (FFT expanded upon it later) that lets you learn abilities to mix and match your own classes. It has a lighter feel than some later entries, and a simple, almost absent story that lets you just enjoy its quality gameplay. Best version IMO is the GBA port.

Also gotta give FFT a go but I'm not a fan of strategy rpgs so I don't know how much suffering I'll be for me.

I would say FFV , Emulate the SNES version specifically, Mobile/PC port is a mess, and GBA while having a ton of extra content isn't exactly running like a dream, the "official" translation is also a bit dubious at times with MUH POPCULTURE, but most are going to say IV,VI or VII.

V specifically because it is pretty good way to ease into FFT about the nitty gritty about jobs, though it is hardly necessary

And speaking of translation, FFVI is actually in a bit if a fun place in that the initial translation (By Ted Woolsey) quite often considered the defacto one, even over the Japanese original, something that can be seen in the fact that Terra is still used over "Tina" and Kefkas characterization, which basically makes it a good experience for Censorship/Translation/Localization discussion, as it is large thought that the changes made to English for it is why VI is popular in the west, but not quite in Japan.

This is a fat load of bullshit and the first time I'm hearing it. I suppose you think Celes slipping on a rock is also canon. The GBA translation is widely considered to be the best, hence why the GBA version with the music restoration and color restoration patches are so highly recommended. Go masturbate to your childish nostalgia elsewhere.

The only FF game I've ever played was the PSP version of Type-0

5 should be a good one.

Really? for me it is the opposite, then again my info aboput what people think of certain VI translations is kinda old, im mostly going from how half/v/ fucking HATED the "new" GBA translation back in 2008 so i could be misremembering, and even then it did keep a ton of the broadstrokes, most VI discussion doesn't really go too hard into translation, as opposed to VII where people are to this day arguing Aerith-Aeris.

I mean, there is no denying SNES VI was butchered, but it came out with more PLOT intact the Secret of Mana and it does make fun reference mark when comparing the changes made due technical limitations to our delightful modern "Culturizations" that remove hip bones and shit just because they can and translators getting paid extra for that kind of change.

trust me in 2024 Holla Forums will love MGSV and FFXV. because they are objectively amazing games.

Ranking mostly based on gameplay and assuming you don't go out of your way to break your game and make it boring. Games in a rank not necessarily sorted.

Almost perfect tier:

- FFT: Still the best game of its genre. With only one big problem, in my opinion. Even though it has many jobs, most of the time enemies get stuck with the basic ones and with little JP to learn abilities. This makes the game a bit too easy if you're good at it. Fortunately, it's basically one of the best games for self-imposed challenges and there are good mods out there. Both options fix this problem.

Great tier:

- XII: expansive world, fun exploration, very fun and diverse bosses that make you play differently.

- FFTA FFTA2: they fix the job diversity thing in FFT but make the rest of the gameplay somewhat worse. Still pretty solid and the way they did side missions is very enjoyable.

- XIII 2: Took the fun endgame FFXIII combat and improved it. The world is also kind of like Spyro, in which there are stages with many quests in them, and I really enjoy that.

- LR: Like XIII 2 was similar to Spyro, this one is similar to Majora's Mask. The battle system is interesting, but feels like a bit of a step down from XIII 2's in terms of quality. Exploring the world, juggling time to do as many quests as possible and doing things non-linearly is pretty fun.

- III, V: Both good takes on the job system. I find III to be a better game overall because it actually makes you use the job system and breaking the game, while simpler, is easier to avoid. V is amazing for limited runs (like FFV 4 Job Fiesta stuff). Especially because the bosses actually have a lot of vulnerabilities to ailments and other things that make figuring out the best way to deal with them with the jobs you are limited to is very fun.

- IX: I like how they do fixed jobs in this one. They are all interesting in their own way and allow actual diversity in strategy. Some battle mechanics suck, though (anything related to the spirit stat, basically). Couldn't decide if I'd keep it in this rank or drop it down to the next.

Good but with awkward flaws:

- II: Has a design philosophy that's pretty much lost in RPGs nowadays: "hard dungeons, easy bosses". The levelling system is pretty cool but makes you do some awkward things to take advantage of it. Even though it's build to have easy bosses, it could use two or three extra harder bosses, as only the final boss is like that. (instantly killing Emperor in the first encounter with Teleport is amazing, though). Couldn't decide if it should stay in this rank or in the previous one.

- VI: Really cool characters with unique abilities and ok bosses. Magic learning and stat bonuses from Espers thoroughly ruin the game. Goes up one rank if you don't use espers, and down one if you minmax.

- VII: Materia system is really cool but damage balance makes it so the only thing that matters in the game is number of hits.

- X: The game is amazing up to a certain point. Very good battle system and amazing idea on the weapons having properties that make you want to swap them in different situations. But then you reach endgame and the game gives up everything that makes it good. Celestial weapons completely ignoring defense make every other weapon irrelevant, Quick Hit is the only attack that matters, the only thing that matters on the characters is Overdrive quality, and you can break the game so hard that you're unkillable by anything short of a total party wipe move (and even against that you have some measures). International edition postgame further capitalizes on these terrible aspects and is one of the worst things I've ever played.

- XIII: The battle system in this game is actually very fun, and so are some bosses. But the game takes WAY TOO LONG to get better. The corridors are mind numbing and battling is a drag for more than half of the game.

- X 2: Great battle system but a little annoying that you have for completion, in a game full of very easily missable things, to get the most of it.

More flaws but still playable:

- I: Bosses don't really do much to you. You basically spam AoE heals and buff ATK to win.

- IV: Bosses don't really do much to you. Battles feel kinda bland and I can't quite put my finger on why. DS version goes up one or two ranks depending on whether you use the augment system to break the game or not.

- VIII: Amazing concepts, but literally broken beyond repair without fundamentally changing the game.

Oh God WHY Did I Subject Myself to This tier:

- IV After Years.

I forgot to mention the version of XII I'm evaluating the the Zodiac Job System one.

Ah yes, the entry that retroactively attempts to shit on all the pre-FF7 games while milking "Episodic" for all it is worth.

Thank fuck i only pirated it.

XV = best
XI= worst

I stopped paying attention to After Years when Cecil's son got a fucking Trance just from Lunarian blood when Cecil and Golbez express no such thing themselves.

As someone who's never played Final Fantasy, but knows a bit about each, here's how appealing each one looks to me.
4 > 6 > 5 > 9 > 3 = 2 = 1 > 7 > 8 > 10
Anything past 10 looks like trash.

FFXV>>>>>>the rest

7>8>9>12>6>10
Also playing ff14 and loving it

The rest if he games is meh.

VI > VII > IX > II > V > IV > X > III > I > VIII > The Rest

Not sure why I think this. II guess I just keep the ideas of the dynamic of the hero and the villains in my head and remember which was more interesting - that and music.

14>12>Dragon Quest 8>Rogue Galaxy>Legend of Dragoon>3>7>Jade Cocoon>4>Pokemon Pearl>1>8>Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories>2>Roscoe McQueen: Firefighter Extreme

I don't really like Final Fantasy that much.

ELDER GOD TIER
FFIX, FFIV

GOD TIER
FFXI, Tactics

GREAT TIER
FFXII, FFXIV, FFX

GOOD TIER
FFVII, FFVI, FFXV

OKAY TIER
FFVIII

SHIT TIER
FFXIII

I DIDN'T FINISH THEM AND CAN'T REALLY JUDGE TIER
FFI, FFII, FFV

Sorry to bump a thread on it's way out but if you want FFV with the extra content of the GBA without losing on sound quality, a patch exists to restore it to the original SNES quality here
romhacking.net/hacks/563/

IX
Tactics
VII
VI
IV
V
III
XII
I
X-2
X
XV
Tactics Advance
VIII
Tactics Advance 2
XIII-2
Lightning Returns
XIII
II

Will not count XI and XIV for obvious reasons.

Tactics
IX
VIII
VII
IV
VI
X

XIII

I stopped playing them after this

Please kill yourself

thats not chen you FUCK

Why does nobody like 10?

FFIX > FFT > rest of that crap

I liked it

It's a neat ride but it's mainly a pretty-looking and long tech demo for the PS2, if you ask me. Best way of going about summoning though. Also a shame that X-2 wasn't Jecht, Auron and Braska's pilgrimage like originally planned, I was always curious about how Jecht and his drinking problem would translate, Dissidia interprets Jecht as being an infinitely brawnier Tidus as well as being fire instead of water.