ITT: How would you fix Spaghetticraft?

Minecraft is shit. We all know it's shit, honestly. Even the people who genuinely like it (i.e., me, Faggimus Maximus) know that on the inside, Minecraft is a heaping pile of shit.

How would you make it not shit?
The only rule is that the game must still be recognizable, that is, you can't just say "no more random world, give everyone guns, add bunnyhopping :^)" and win the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/survival-mode/270140-the-survival-part-of-the-game-is-bad-on-a
minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/survival-mode/295895-survival-can-and-should-be-improved-part-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

make the art style something that isn't shit, add a shitload more gameplay shit like items and weapons and tools, add objectives and optimize it so it can actually work on all computers without over 9000 degrees centigrade of microstutter, and finally do huge free updates on the game that keeps it fresh even after centuries have passed. i know that a game like this is physically impossible to make, so sorry OP, your shit out of luck and your tastes are equally as asinine

This. Terraria took all Minecraft has and improved upon it in a way Notch never bothered to do because he could just print money anyway.

I had fun for a while, but then I realized that that if my computer can run Eldritch reasonably well but can't run Minecraft at all, something's fucky.

Also, jesus crust, if you want to actually explore the world in any timely manner, you have to go fight a boss that used to be end-game material. Oh, and don't get me started on how dumb potions continue to be.

You can't play the game that long.

I see you play Minecraft too.

Why ask something so obvious? How about finishing it, for starters. The game never left alpha.

Make it Dragon Quest Builders.

The game got where it is by pandering to Youtubers and 8-year-olds, so instead of Notch trying to half-ass an adventure game out of the fucking scraps of his alpha and a bunch of stolen mods (the apologism for shit like potions, wolves and the hunger system being flat-out stolen from mods at the time on the Minecraft forums was delicious) he probably should've focused on either building or adventuring instead of badly working on both and made building more convenient or at least left Jeb the guidelines to do so before he took his money from Microsoft and ran.

Giving it back to Mojang would be a start, I haven't even played it since Microsoft took over, but I'm sure it's even worse now.

More magic mods. Minecraft is currently the best wizard simulator out there so people should keep pushing that strength.

rewriting it in a language that isn't complete shit would be a great start.

I think the main problem with current Minecraft is that the developers are too chickenshit to actually do anything substantial to it, like they're afraid to lose the kids who do nothing but play those Hypixel minigames. You know, out of the 25 million accounts that play the Java version alone. Seriously, look at the features they've added in the past three major updates, most of the underlying mechanics is to make shit easier for those minigame servers, with a few token cosmetics for your average vanilla player.

It's about the same. Ever since they integrated the client and server, they've been running around without any sort of battle plan.

I'm more of a fan of the mods that do in-world crafting, myself. None of that GUI shit, I want to actually see things getting made.

Infinite water, finite world. No more java. get rid of the block voxel look and expand shaping tools. Actually making it something resembling Dwarf Fortress like the original bullshit claim. Maybe just adventure mode.

Is that just art or is it an actual mod? I'd love to have power management be a thing instead of just pasting redstone all over the place.

You can't fix Minecraft. Trying to fix and improve a fundamentally broken game is what brought us to the current situation in the first place.

All you can do is go back to earlier versions. Or, take the concepts you enoy about Minecraft and try to make a new, better game with them.

Take all of the good mods and put them in an already good game.

Try Better Than Wolves.

I think it was a concept pitched to Notch back in Alpha. There are mods that add mechanical power, but they're either super-autistic, like Rotarycraft, or "Redstone Simple," like Better Than Wolves.

Take inspiration from other games

Add more bosses
Add a fuckton more blocks
Add NPCs and give them purpose
Replace command blocks with blocks that take actual Java or C#
Add dynamic grids
Make it so if you go up too high, you end up in space. Add space stuff.
Add modding tools for proper total conversions
Have a mode where you can make small levels, and quickly share them for things like PvP or whatever
>EYE
Add breakable legs

Looks neat. Thanks.

but its 2d tho

How about fuck you?

Terraria's an adventure game first and foremost and being 2D instead of 3D actually set it apart from all the rest of the games aping Minecraft when it first came out. Helps that Terraria on release had more content than Minecraft has now.

I'm already trying to make it less shit by learning how to make mods.
Adding ores that are just for fun, and adding ore density so ore veins can be generated bigger without being too generous.
Making it so gems drop from geodes that randomly drop from stone/dense stone closer to bedrock instead of having just diamond/emerald ore.
Making it easier to obtain variants of stone for building by having to tumble stone fragments to polish them into the random variants.
Making stone fragments able to stun mobs for attacking or knockout mobs for moving them.
Adding uses for mushrooms with fungus cultivation and weaponizing.
Possibly even adding ways to automate crafting with just vanilla items, and more.
I'm currently stuck on figuring out how to dynamically add registered ores for modifying their behavior.

Please, center on the fungi part, there are no mods that try to amplify in that.

There are already mods that turn the world in a autim simulator like DF.

Are there any mods that turn mineraft add all the complexity Dwarf fortress has?

Make it a Terraria, but in 3D.

Only if they aren't damage sponges, pls

Mah nigga. One day, I want to make a game that has no GUIs at all outside of the main menu, text chatting, and a couple of tooltips.

Make it dragon quest builders. EZ

Terrafirmacraft is kind of like that. Minefantasy 2 adds the weapon variety and need for specialized equipment to make foods and smelt ores, without the caveman aesthetic and while also adding Dark Souls combat elements.

How about no? They are two different games entirely, one focused on construction, the other focused on gear and character progression.
That's like saying you'd improve Call of Duty by placing some RTS elements there.

The only problem minecraft seriously has, and if you think about it, everything else stems from it, is that it doesn't have the progression it should have.
You play the game, you explore it's mechanics and how it works and at some point, there's a progression that needs to happen but never does and nobody notices it and replies with meme stupid answers like "moar ores!" because it's not a very direct one.

What do you do in RPG's? Kill mobs with abilities and party members, explore the world, read a neat story. How do you progress in those games? More abilities, party members, more parts of the world to explore and more story.
What do you do in action games? You shoot guns at various enemies as you progress levels with environmental hazards till the end. How do you progress in those games? More weapons, more and different enemies, bigger and more dangerous levels.
See a common theme here? All of what you use to play the game is expanded while you play it, making it more fun as time goes on.

Now, what do you do in Minecraft? Some of the time you kill mobs, some of the time you mine. But most of the time, you BUILD. You place block after block to complete structures that help you. Either walls, a house, a farm, an enchanting library, portals and roads, villages even. You spend most of your time building and that's the main ability you have unique to Minecraft.

So tell me, for fuck's sake, why hasn't it crossed anyone else's mind that the problem with Minecraft is how shitty it's progression is because instead of better tools to Build cool stuff, you just get more weapons and more mobs to kill? Why aren't there tools specifically to build things or mobs that can help you with it?

This is how I'd fix Minecraft, make building easier but also more complex as the game progressed.
Give the player the ability to create villages and populate them, them have the NPCs capable of using nearby resources in a chest to build structures designed by you.
Place 2 markers down and the NPC's will build a wall 5 blocks high between them with some stairs. Use diamonds to make a wand and you can designate areas to be filled\emptied and done by the NPCs. Have a scepter that takes Blaze Rods to make that lets you tag a 3d area and save it as a template that you can request built anywhere else so the NPCs do so if there are enough resources.
Have some basic economy going with them generating those resources, a mine that outputs cobblestone, a lumberjack that gathers wood, etc.

The fine detail like gold tiles and redstone engineering could be left to the player, but basic redstone circuits, brick&wood houses and blocks, those should be placed by NPCs.
Ideally you'd be able to save a building and then replicate it around, creating a gigantic village as soon as the NPCs gathered the resources needed.

Then have the undead come from lairs, caverns on the side of mountains or tombs in plains, with a Necromancer inside that raises undeads during the day and sends them your way at night. Have gold be usefull to buy things so the player builds a nice stash somewhere and add an NPC that tries to steal it, so vaults and guards become important.

TL;DR Building is the main feature of Minecraft but it's the one that improves the less as the game progresses.

Oh, shit, that reminds me. There's a mod called Ancient Warfare that adds some of the stuff that is describing–specifically, the ability to bring in NPCs to do your dirty work.
It's usually left by the wayside because Minecraft's shitty optimization dies even harder when there's lots of entities running around, and there are other mods that do the same things but cost coal instead of food to do it, but it's really nice.

There is also tekkit which is the ultimate in autism simulators. I sometimes think about going back to using that, but I forgot my account info completely.

I remember how me and my friends pulled in every one we know personally to have a big tekkit server where we made multiple factions of different people. One was the scientist faction that has to utilize the higher tech/cleaner energy sources. Another was the more exploitative tech which used oil and redstone, the third faction used all magical items and focused on that, and then the fourth used mostly vanilla items with a few extra low tech weapons (muskets, spears, etc.) and was allowed to use cranks and basic things for automated production. The vanilla side also had access to some sources of distant transportation with that pocket dimension mod and was also allowed to convert items into other vanilla items using that alchemy mod just to try and keep production slightly even, since all the mining work for the vanilla side was done by hand. To Balance it out, each faction was limited by how many people they could have. The vanilla had the highest amount of people, while the magic side had the lowest numbers. It was probably the most fun we ever had that was fueled by pure autism.

oh gee my friend, i wonder what other game did that

Simple.

Make Single Player Online Mode Great. Through tags and votes your creations will get more common or less common in randomly generated seeds. That way you'd have fucking giant castles, cities and virtually AHNLIMITED structures with their puzzles, gorgeous areas, npcs and shit.

Or at least add the bases so mods can do it. That way the game would still be sandbox but with MUCH more potential.

AND OPTIMIZE THAT SHIT YO'

Make it so items can grant skills and be edited, make it so monsters can have skills and be edited, make it so players can have skills and be edited (by a gm or whatever) ADD FUCKING DEVTOOLS

Now why the fuck would you want that? So mods can implement whatever the fuck they want to levelling, but the base is there.

The fungi I have a lot of plans for.
Ancient spores will either be found from rotten wood planks in mineshafts, or as dungeon loot, depending on how hard it is to change the probability of wood planks in the structure blueprint being rotten wood.
Cultivating will start with collecting moldy wood planks and placing them around a filled cauldron, waiting until they decay into a carpet thick layer of active fungus.
From there, you can collect the fungus with bottles and further cultivate it to either be mineral fungus that either slowly leeches a higher yield out of an ore block you place it on, or sticks to the ore and repairs a "moldy tool" near it (depleting the ore block gradually).
The ore molds will have gradually worse effects on players that go near it, depending on the tier of ore it's cultivated for, making it a hazard to use.
I'm thinking the weaponized fungus will sprout sentry-like mushrooms that confuse/deter/kill mobs within close proximity.

open up the games source code for real and then plaster this 2-part rant everywhere on official and unofficial websites.

>minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/survival-mode/270140-the-survival-part-of-the-game-is-bad-on-a
>minecraftforum.net/forums/minecraft-discussion/survival-mode/295895-survival-can-and-should-be-improved-part-2

the posts are about 4-5 years old at this point and the poster is long dead (and their failed total conversion mod included), but the content of the post is still as precise as ever

Downboated

That was an amazing mod and I seriously don't get why it's not used in more servers or more iteractions of it are made.
You could have actual merchants that sell real items to players, you could have couriers traveling between towns, even bards.
And you had to maintain food production to feed everyone as well, but afterwards it was one well oiled machine.
You could even command your own squad with a baton, that would make PvP so great since 5v5 would actually mean 50v50 if each player brought 10 pawns.

There are hundreds of mods that add more ores and tools\weapons made with those ores, as well as more enemies to fight. And yet they don't make the game good at all.
Minecraft and Terraria are fundamentally different games, you can't compare them or use one to improve the other.

Terraria barely requires you to mine or build anything, it's focus is on the combat, the boss fights and the equipment you use and it's an amazing game because it does an excelent job in all those fields, especially how bosses control the best ores in a very organic way that lends itself to the gear progression that game has.

Minecraft on the other hand has piss poor combat and lame simple equipment. The most advanced thing you can do is fire arrows.
And yet this wouldn't be a problem since the focus is on building huge structures, villages and golden phalus.
But the game does not have a proper progression for any of that, it's just tougher ore and tougher mobs and that's it.

To put it into perspective, it would be as if you could find all items in Terraria in chests, rarer as you went down and you only ever fought the Eye of Chuthuly over and over again for every boss fight.

I'd make a game called Terraria where I fix all of the problems minecraft had on top of making it a good game.

I actually loved the redstone aspect of memecraft. Too bad they just got lazy and game people command blocks. It would have been cool if the game went further in that direction. like a rube goldberg machine/legos. The other huge failing of memecraft was the combat is absolutely shit, the combat is so bad that it makes Skyrim look competent.
I also really liked it alot at one time back in alpha and beta.

Do think Notch was expecting his fanbase to be full of autistic children when he hosted the first Minecon?

Terraria is only fun if you fallow the wiki. The bosses are good but the crafting and grinding for materials is dogshit.

WEW, CASUAL ALERT

well we are not all privileged like you are pal.
believe it or not as an unrelated aside the developers asked me to the pixel art when the game was first in development. I though the project looked like god shit and turned them down. Shows what I know I could have been rich
also that bitch is ugly you should be ashamed.

Do you have proof? That would suck if true.

WEW, CASUAL ALERT

ARE YOU AWARE OF WHAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE?
Allow me to enlighten you:

Now go and live with this for the rest of your life.

wew

nope but I did have a texture pack for minecraft and the dev's where asking random people on the forums for help. I also think they bugged the shit out of Doku and he told them to fuck off. They even sent a preliminary version of the game with FF sprites as prof of concept. The demo build was absolutely shit and unplayable nothing like the version everyone knows. I thought they where just autistic faggots LARPing and at the time they where doing it for Hot-pockets and I did not have the time to invest in what I thought was essentially a lazy minecraft clone. I even deleted the test build because I actually thought I wouldn't amount to shit they hadn't even named it yet

Prove you can make better sprites.

user pls, I bet you could make better sprites (although the work has gotten a bit better over the years)

Sure I could, but they asked you, so can you?

that's why i said appropriate, fun content, not just content for the sake of content

the fact minecraft doesn't know what game it wants to be, is an issue in and of itself if the gameplay mechanics can't capitalize on what it wants to be, AND if the existing game mechanics are not that good to begin with. first of all, what do we want "good" about minecraft? i assume that judging by your previous posts that you want minecraft to be both centered on a kind of semi-survival sandbox game, in contrast to terraria's mostly adventure-oriented gameplay (which, it does adventure shit nicely). i get your point that X game is not Y game because X is not Y, but even disregarding any "subjective" arguement about how similar terraria and minecraft are, and how interchangeable their gameplay mechanics are, what game are you proposing minecraft actually be? i can't answer how minecraft should be improved if we're not all on the same level on what game it SHOULD be. sandbox? survival? adventure? mix of any of those? anything not mentioned?

the grinding parts are dog shit i agree, but how the fuck is the crafting terrible when it's really simple to make items, since you can just generally put all your ingredients in your inventory and scroll over all the shit you can possibly make even if you didn't already you know could make it with those materials. what, is minecraft's crafting system superior or some shit?

first sprite I ever made with a shitty program that didn't show the frames. paint and a mouse.

WEW, CASUAL ALERT

As I said that was my first sprite ever, and at least I did it from scratch instead of copying FF7's sprites. I got much better in time.

well the pic was related. and started drawing with Deluxe Pain II. It sorta was meant to be a rhetorical answer. I also made moonman doom and did much of the original sprites that where not ripped from other mods

I'm positively sure about everything you just stated.

why do you keep posting ugly chinks? Are you one of those halfchan refuges?

I honestly think Minecraft is really, really good right now but I have one serious problem with biome generation

50% of the biomes look exactly the same and due to an incredibly poorly optimized chance system occupy 98% of any map. Forest, birch forest, flower forest, roofed forest, snowy forest, "river" and extreme hills offer nothing fucking different except for wood type. Why is there only one jungle or mesa in 7000 blocks? Why the fuck are there no mushroom islands anywhere, ever? Hell even fucking deserts and savannahs have been growing rarer. Why is this considered entertaining and healthy for the game? Everything looks so god damn samey except for those extremely isolated locations.

Just give it some fucking focus and direction. That's its biggest problem: lot's of half-assed features and barely any real progression because Notch and Mojang didn't have any end goal for what they wanted it to be.

I'd like to add that there are a few biome ideas that would make the game a lot more interesting.

:^)
(checked
The aether mod had potential. Too bad the lack of proper dev tools was the last straw for most of the good moders.

Instead of adding retarded gimmicky "story" or RPG elements, give us more blocks, items, and larger progression trees.
Also, actually add enough content for the game to earn a full release. I played recently and it still feels like it should be in fucking beta.

Pros:
Cons:
For your first sprite, decent.

Biomes o plenty, pretty much accomplished that, and worked nicely with spoopy biomes and mo creatures/grimoire of gaia.
However, it seems like when additional biomes are added, it fucking rapes terrain generation.
Even without a biome mod, version 1.10 has so many biomes that terrain gen reeks havoc on terrain gen performance, to the point where the game will freeze/craze trying to load new terrain.

how's it going my good man? are you enjoying your stay in this thread so far?

Civilization in first person, basically.
The game should be about building and that's the main focus of everything. All else falls under support of building.

You should start the game alone but capable of crafting basic tools and resources to sustain yourself, but after a while you should set up a small base. Minecraft does this quite well until this point but it drastically fails on carrying on after here.

Your base should be populated by NPC's that show up when you build certain things, like Terraria does, but unlike Terraria they shouldn't be specific characters but rather just people that live there and do chores based on what you built.
While in the beginning you had to do your own farming, now an NPC can do it for you and the entire village. You're free to do so as well and help the town or you can go do something else more fun than that and come back to find food in a chest.
Same goes for tending animals, gathering wood, mining and crafting\cooking.

All those menial tasks you do to fill up the time you play should be relegated to NPCs that don't find them boring so you can enjoy those advantages without the tedium while at the same time rewarding a sedentary style.
And the next step here is to relegate building as well to the NPCs. Designing buildings is all up to you, but placing block by block is not fun or interesting, let the NPCs do that shit.
Ideally, mods for weapons of mass destruction wouldn't be much of a problem if you could use a wand to "draw" 25 new apartment complexes and a mine nearby and now in 5-6 days, the NPCs will have rebuilt the city while you were busy doing something else.

And then you can add proper enemies and make the world interesting. Create actual bosses that spawn on the edge of villages, dig in and make their fort and then harass the village with their minions. The more sucessfull their raids are, the bigger they grow and eventually they'll overpower your town so you gotta deal with them. Bandit forts ambush caravans and anyone outside the city walls, Necromancers send minions over the night, Spider Queens send their brood every now and then to kidnap people, Thieves Hideouts are hard to discover and they keep trying to steal your gold, etc.
Now you can tack on whatever story you want and whatever boss you want. Maybe you find a scroll in every Thief Hideout that details a Master Thief living somewhere and organizing their raids. Find his lair (generated when you gather all the clues), defeat him and there's no more thieves. Defeat all Bosses for a Heart of Evil to show up somewhere, defeat it and you win the game.

You can do a lot more with tech trees that let your NPCs and you do different things, but the point is that Building needs to be the focus, especially building a civilization of some kind.

Alternatively, give the player the option to ditch that and villages are generated and run on their own, you instead gain a different set of Tech and Abilities that let you be one of the Villains
Perhaps unlock this by beating the respective Super Villain

Addendum:
If you're going to add RPG elements, actually go the whole way instead of adding like 2 types of dungeons that spawn once each in a world, and add actually meaningful exp, mana, and magic systems. There was a great mod that did this called hack slash mine or something. The mod spawned a bunch of dungeons with unbreakable walls, and added spells and stats to level up. However, it would've of been more fun if the devs for the mod tied in the rpg elements to the building part. You have to keep in mind this is still a building game.

Other than that, mods can do it.
One things that no mod really does well is making boats/airships.
No mod allows you to eventually make a mini flying fortress, so you can explore the landscape while flying on a mini home, with npcs or animals there.

Also, this reminds me, I believe notch intended minecraft to be a watered down Dorf. I dont know what happened to it, but I think he's working on a project like that right now.

not anymore m8, he canned 0x10c and just sits on his ass and shitposts on Twitter now

i see what you mean, everything falls under building shit at least at some point. sandbox but with progression basically. what about combat? specifically, and emphasis on that word "specifically", how would you change the combat? in its current form, it's rather lackluster and lacks anything that interesting.

Adding some sort of dodge mechanic would go a long way. Blocking is also pretty useless since enemies do not have attack animations, so giving enemies attack animations would be good.

I would, at the very least, add a windup animation and some endlag to every attack in the game. At the moment, zombies hit the moment they touch you, spiders hit the moment they touch you, players hit as fast as they can click. There's simply no time for defensive options, and the game's combat isn't deep enough for trying to read people as in fightans.
Speaking of, more options. Right now, your options are sword, with a single, always-better form of progression from sword to sword, and upgrades that range from godlike (Fire damage just cuts through armor) to situational (Bane of arthropods? What?) to considered useless (Knockback actually reduces your DPS, although you can use it to push people off cliffs).
There's a dozen and a half mods that do this, of course. Balkon's Weapon Mod adds different weapons with different specialties. Tinker's Construct makes tools completely modular (but Sharpness is too goddamn cheap, seriously, what the fuck). Minefantasy 2 adds different weapons and specialties, and also changes up the combat by forcing you to keep track of your stamina (while improving the blocking mechanic).

Beta 1.8 was a mistake. Pretty much every bad feature other than flaws in the core gameplay was added in beta 1.8 or 1.0. I can only describe it as the game trying to be something it isn't. Terraria does have a similar problem, where the simple core movement mechanics make the newer content harder than it should be. If 1.7.3 had just been built on more, the game would have went in a better direction.

I remember there being a mount and blade inspired mod that let you put weapons and shields in a seperate hotbar that you could switch to with a hotkey and it might have had double tap to dodge.

Mine & Blade had the separate hotbar for weapons, but IDK about the dodging.

These anons get it.
No animations for the player or monsters is ridiculous.
The enemies hurt just to touch you and your hits are instant hitscan melee attacks.
the latest changes to the combat mechanics were a step in the right direction, but still very bad. sowrd has a spash attack that activates when you hit something but it only deals 1 damage, and axe is the new sword dealing more damage and breaking shields.
Also, shields are nice, but would be cool to be able to use weapons on that other slot, there's mods that allow it but it's not optimal or well balanced since other mods don't take into account.

I might have been thinking of a parkour mod. It had upgraded sprinting with shift, shift to grab ledges (on the same y-level as the player's feet) and the ability to hang off of ledges.

Absolutely simple:

With these two you have a diablo2-tier weapon system.
Now what are skills? Skills would include three-tiers.
Perfect block, combo x1-2-3 and strong attack. And finally weapons would have a spellslot. That means weapons grant you a skill you can use when wielding it.

(not necessarily player)
Shit like slide, wall-kick, double jump, levitate. backstep, quickstep… Keep it dynamic so you can edit mobs and players and grant them those physical skills.

Burn, poison, ice, dark, light.

Now magic would be Warcraft3-tier. Magic can be auras or fireballs, but also war-stomps and devour.

Keep these fuckton of skills dynamic and moddable so ANY mob can have it.
No. Mobs will have 1 or 2 of these, then there will be an NPC/mob editor where you can pretty much code your own bosses. You'd just need to code the skill use WITH the skills.

Finally:
Add all sorts of stuff. From aggro range to "don't move until you can fuck the character up" or "don't move when player looks" and all sorts of small tricks. keep it open for modded behaviors.

Voilá. Interesting combat and most of all: HIGHLY MODDABLE. You can have cuhrayzee DMC-style combat or you can.

Combat needs windup animations to attack and it weird that nobody ever mentions this.
Everytime you swing a weapon in Minecraft, the effect is instantaneous and this ruins a lot of combat. Have a small delay of half a second or more and now players can react to it and a parry mechanic with timing can be added.
Bigger tougher weapons can swing for longer time and deal more damage, even breaking guards and be unparryable but easy to dodge. Faster weapons are much harder to dodge or parry as well.
Same thing for your enemies, none of this "I do damage when I touch you" bullshit.

Also, something similar to Zeno Clash for melee combat: you hit an enemy twice or hit a specific key and you lock on to him, dancing around him. Press the key again or look too far out and you'll drop the lock and be on the move again. Doesn't work for ranged combat but helps with Melee and dodges don't screw your aim anymore. There's a mod that does this and it's pretty good.

Ranged combat would need different types of launchers and ammo. Ammo does the damage, and has different properties, launchers modify them. Crossbows have innate armor penetration but fire slowly, bows do regular damage but fire faster, javelins do a lot of damage and penetrate armor but have low range and stock, etc. This really isn't that hard to fix.

Armor just needs different purposes and different types of damage. Leather should absorb blunt damage from maces, while Iron should absorb slash damage from swords. Gold should stay as the "enchanter material" but Diamond could just be a good average between all 3 armors instead. Decent in all situations but not the best for each specific one.

Also, obviously different types of damage and weapons. Blunt should be fairly easy to use and hard to block, doing simple damage and breaking bones. Slash should do the same damage but apply bleed effects but takes more skill to be used accurately and can be parried easily. Piercing should be the fastest but least damaging form of damage but it's the fastest and applies bleeding, etc.
Broken bones reduce your strength (less damage, less speed), bleeding damages you overtime, etc.

Pretty much everything this chap says.

That's a good one too, but Settlers\K&M tends to stick to a single period in time while Civilization is about evolving and expanding.

Smart Movement, I think it was called. A pretty good mod that made movement something truly amazing especially the climbing and crawling mechanics.
Too bad the wall-jump is incredibly convuluted and it's incompatible with any custom-armor mod, that just floats around you.

Another issue is how the crit mechanic works based on jumping. They should have made it a charge attack.

That's exactly what I thought when I thought about character skills. You'll be able to level up either magic, combat skills or player character skills, or even forging to craft god-tier weapons or alchemy and mining. How? My original idea was DM based, but there could be a FFA based where you can level those by consuming level up points. (1 level, 2 points or something)

Already implemented, but very poorly.
Only things worth using are swords and axes.
Thing is, you canm attack even on your "cooldown" for reduced damage, so there's no reason not to use axes over swords.

That's retarded.
Good thing the mod I mentioned earlier that allows dual wielding makes that funciton like an actual crit(chance) and also makes so that you can only attack on after the cooldown is fully recharged.

Grindy and character buildy stuff should be kept as mods, not everyone likes that. What the game should do is have systems that allow that to happen.(I think it's already possible, I think there are already some mods that add skills you can level up.)

Yeah, I went a bit too far there.
The idea would be to have almost no skills in these fields, but to have these fields set for the modders to work with them and ALLOW more to be added with no conflicts whatsoever. That way you could add all the skills you wanted and implement the right levelling system for your maps, worlds or whatever you decided to make.

It would be a great open-world game builder.

A couple ways to do it:
Alternatively:

hm. maybe so. and finally what do you think about minecraft's content? do you think it needs a shitload of good content like terraria or do you think all the suggestions you've provided are sufficient for replayability? maybe there's more things you could think of that could potentially improve it that you haven't mentioned or thought of yet?

also jesus fucking christ, i haven't played minecraft in a while and i didn't know it already reached skyrim-tiers of modding, as if everyone already knows the vanilla game is shit or something.

I think Minecraft's devs need to step their fucking game up, because the guy behind Twilight Forest has not just one, but MULTIPLE Zelda-style dungeons randomly generated in their very own dimension, and Dimensional Doors has some unbelievably clever traps.

Meanwhile, Minecraft's dungeons consist of:
Also, instead of useful loot, all of these dungeons can provide:

i like the things they do add for the most part, but they never really go far enough. at this point if they did it might even feel out of place, but i wouldnt care.
i wonder how the game will look in 5 years.
i have a hunch theyre going for a long haul since its working on me. nothing really keeps me interested like content updates. they might have a ton of good ideas bouncing around in their heads but theyre afraid to blow their entire load at once. this way the game is talked about for years to come at every update.

terraria also feels like the superior game for building, they never expand on the building aspect of the game, occasionally adding aesthetic blocks but aside from pistons and more recently slimeblocks(which is just another piston mechanic for the most part) never adding anything new to the mix.

in terraria you have all sorts of tools for building, grappling hooks, paint, the hammer interactions, things that let you place blocks faster, a setting that lets you automatically fill in gaps.
its all just so convinient, even starbong expands on this somewhat by letting you have different brush sizes.

Take all the building shit out of it and make it a survival/roguelike in 3d.

that was also pretty much the idea behind fighting the Lich in the twilight forest mod, he would drop scepters that would summon mobs or drain life, and would need to be repaired as they only had so many uses

Twilight forest suffers not only from the same issue as biomes o plenty, where the more biomes there are the longer it takes for terrain gen, but also the quantity of structures that spawn causing immediate crashing upon first entering the twilight forest.
I honestly don't think the engine can handle it, because I can't imagine how the process of adding new structures/biomes could somehow be unoptimized.

But there are more complex games with more complex dungeon generation that don't hitch at all.

I can't imagine it either, but then again, that's probably why I haven't figured out how to optimize it.

isnt it mostly a rendering issue?
optifine really shouldnt be a requirement to play modded minecraft.

I suspect that's part of it. But another part of it is that there's a certain number of steps to making a new piece of terrain, and…well, you can do it in an unoptimized way. Multiple passes, for instance. Doing the whole 16x16 chunk from sky to ground, too.

add gameplay, things to fight

Basically make it 3d Terraria. Grappling hooks then rocket boots and shit would be really fun, the gameplay could grow from caveman to spiderman to Tribes to full flight.

rendering in minecraft has for years, been awful, because even something that shouldn't be visible to the player is still being rendered, hence being able to fly too fast and see underground dungeons before actually seeing the ground
structure spawning in minecraft is horrendous, even swamps are FILLED with structure spawns, because there was no other way to spawn in trees with vines on the leaves other than to make the entire tree a fucking structure (that's why you could almost always find a tree hovering above tiny pools in swamps)
twilight forest has SO MANY STRUCTURES, and are pretty common in every single biome except for a couple
take away all the structure spawns, and it's still going to stall and crash if you have too many biomes

Just program it in something that isn't Java, add more autism blocks for the builders and try to encourage people to make servers that have things other than hunger games/prison/skyblock/ect. so creative/survival mode actually get fucking used instead of ignored due to autism.

Also, allow for other types of ways to activate shit like pullies/ropes so we don't just have redstone taking up a gorillion blocks of space to just open a door.

Make Dwarves vs Zombies an official game mode with server support.

That wasn't hard.

Mine craft is not a game. You can't make it not shit.

The only issue I have with SMBX is that it's community is fucking autistic cancer. But that's a given when it's about Mario.

The C++ version seems so much smoother, unfortunately it's Win10 only and apparently massively behind compared to the Java version, so nobody is using it.

The C++ demo starts at 1:50 ish.

I think that's actually the same codebase as the Android version.

i'm suprised at how good it is

people have been talking about that for years. Notch even promised at one time to implement attack animations. Notch promised alot that never came to fruition.

Someone already tried making it in a better language, and guess what, it sucks.
It was written in a better language, from scratch, with a modding API, and EVERYTHING is open sourced.
I hear you cry, well they failed to actually add in content to the base game, so practically nothing can be accomplished with the modding API without someone first adding content to the base game, which defeats the fucking purpose of having the modding API.

It is the android version. They literally took the from scratch rewrite of minecraft that their 1 competent employee did for mobile phones, and ported it to PC, locked behind win10 as a bonus fuck-you to the entirety of the minecraft players who were promised the source code if Notch thought about selling out.

You are personally responsible for the trainwreck that was Starbound, I hope you realize this.

Remove all the various ways people have of protecting their servers.

HOLY SHIT

what about fungal mechs?

If you wanted to fix Minecraft you'd have to add an actual end-game to it. It's a survival game where it is very easy to get to the point where you don't care about survival anymore. I would allow the player to actually create a town and start a society, as justification for making more food.

Kek

Maybe mushroom men.

I really can't see there being an end-game to minecraft, because it's a completely open, effectively infinite, world. If minecraft's world size could be limited to that of an actual planet, there would still be nigh-infinite resources for a large populace server, but much less land that could be traversed, and terrain gen would have to be reworked to more closely mirror actual continents and not the clusterfuck of biomes that it currently has. Also, something would really need to be done with how storing chunks works, minetest uses octrees which allows world height to be well above 60k from top to bottom, compared to minecraft's 256 sky limit. Imagine if you could actually have an earth sized map that went 32k downward, allowing you to have unique cave generation, essentially cave worlds, with everything becoming hotter and more dangerous the further down you dug. You could possibly even have pockets of water/magma that generate with a pressure value, so that when a player digs into one either the water or magma spews up and rains down on the player, making blast mining an actually necessary thing to do, lest the player get showered in molten rock.

you don't need to decompile minetest's source code, it's on github

I would implement the game fully in C++, release an SDK for modders, and put in options for players to customize how the game plays. I would also take out the pretentious ending.

So, several Anons say that building mechanics are something that needs work. Let me suggest a few possibilities:

TFC2 will have some interesting properties tied to different materials. Too bad it probably isn't going to be released anytime soon.

Make it Dwarf Fortress

I could probably implement a tool for instant wall building, overnight.
Tools for faster deconstruction would be redundant since there are plenty of mods that already have existing tools for digging 3x3 areas.

Also maybe someone can answer me this, is it more advantageous to split features of a mod into separate mods, or to just have one big mod where everything can be disabled in a config?

By stopping it from trying to become HURR SO REALISTIC SURVIVAL.
Nobody likes the survival aspect in Minecraft, not even the autistic faggots with 3000 hours play time like it. Minecraft in its indev days was fun because it was about building, not about making some bullshit farm to remove some minor annoyance.
You can still build now, sure, but they made sure to neuter its interesting aspects to fuck. They could have added more interesting landscape and generation, but they didn't. Where are the gigantic fuckhuge world trees of which you can desecrate the inside and build a house? Where are the glorious waterfalls that's wider than 5 blocks with a drop higher than 20 so you can build a fantasy-esque castle on? Where are the flying islands that you can connect and build a small comfy community on?
And then again, even if you had all those settings, it doesn't quite matter when you finished building, because those buildings don't serve any purpose. The function of your bedroom on top of the tree isn't any different from the storage room on the bottom of the tree, they're just a blob of data in space. Mojang should have fleshed out the villager's AI and let them have a life and a community that's more then some lifeless automation that moves back and forth between two points. You may be able to build a small community then.
It was what I imagined Minecraft multiplayer would be like in the future when I first played it: you go find a plot of land, you build a house, a storage, get some villagers, tell them to chop tree and build shits, get your villagers to procreate, populate your little community, and build some QoL shits, maybe some pub here, some brothel there, some place where you can shoot guns, and perhaps a safari where you can hunt local animals in their natural habitat.
Instead I get a pile of excrement waste that tries so hard to be a survival adventure, but its survival aspect being minor annoyance and its adventure aspect being absolute borefest of whacking a shitty flying black worm, which serves no fucking purpose and requires no fucking skill.
tl;dr halt all development of RPG bullshit, scrap the hunger aspect altogether, focus on interesting landscape and generation variety, put in anomalies (things getting to ridiculous size e.g the world tree, the gigantic waterfall, a wide-stretched canyon; or things having strange behavior, like a gravitational anomaly in a cave where water, sand and items fly upward instead of falling down) and implement a functional AI that at least allows you to tell them where to be at what time, and what to do.

I sure hope you're right, for Hashino's sake.

can someone explain to me how its justified that retrieval nodes from extrautilities cost diamonds when the standard item nodes take redstone or ender pearls?

Because they bypass the tick rate and work faster. You can make your items go through the network instantly with the right upgrades or the right configuration, you can have it move X number of items at a time, even pull items you otherwise couldn't out of the world into said pipes. The world interaction upgrade, per example, can be used to make a perfect cobblestone generator that can extract anywhere from 1 to 64 stone or cobblestone blocks at a time.

Try and do that without EU.

Remove the oversimplicity, make every option a little more in-depth, to the point of seeming a chore.

I'd use Runescape as a reference here. Instead of "3-wheat to make bread", you have to grind the wheat into flower, mix it with water, etc… with the right containers and facilities for all parts.

Instead of being able to tear apart whole trees with your bare hands, you'd have to strip the leaf tiles to find sticks. You'd have to pick up rocks from the ground to find one the right shape for the right tool. You'd need wet reeds or vines to fasten them together… And of course, tools made from improvised parts like that would be partly damaged by default, the degree of which depends on the materials used. But once you make an axe like this, then you can start chopping trees.

More weapons of course. Spears, crossbows, staves… all with their ups and downs.

Make armor have a tradeoff. It slows you down, makes you sink, etc. Simple enough.

More mobs. Especially biome-specific mobs. Sandworms, sharks, etc.

Also make biome spawns relate to adjacent biomes. A desert right next to a tundra is awkward, kills the natural element of the world.

Limit the default inventory slots to the basic 9 on the interface. The rest would be accessible by equipping a type of armor that provides extra inventory INSTEAD of protection.

Lastly, though in my opinion very importantly, completely overhaul villages and villagers. Like… there are a lot of different ways this could be done, almost all of them better than how it was. That would take a whole separate post, so I'll think about it.

P.S. Terraria is clunky and overrated.

It should slow you down slightly, but the major disadvantage should be it makes you tired quickly.

You're basically describing Terrafirmacraft.

are we talking about the same thing? retrieval nodes pull from pipes, they dont push into pipes. or rather, retrieval nodes look for items in the network, while standard transfer nodes look for inventories with an available slot to dump their load.
and all those upgrades are compatible with regular transfer nodes.
i suppose you could eventually save a lot of resources on upgrades and filters in some cases and thats probably the logic behind making them cost a fortune.
at least the 1.10.2 version doesnt need a fucking QED

I had this stupid idea back like six months before No Man's Sky came out and I still thought it would be multiplayer, what if Minecraft had just one world that everyone existed with eachother in at the same time? And you can't talk to anyone unless they're relatively close to you, and your spawn changes everytime you die. That'd be pretty cool to wander around and find abandoned castles and fortresses. I used to have the map downloaded of an old server I used to play on and I would fly around in creative looking for all sorts of stuff that nobody had seen for years. Imagine that but from time to time someone might actually be there

Also fuck bosses, maybe you should fix combat itself first

I've heard of some servers that link together through portals. As in you go in one and end up on another server. Add that to your idea of really far respawns and you could have even more to explore.
Only downside with longterm servers is that they get filled with xraying faggots and you end up with a server with no resources. There's a mod that gives you a random resource sometimes as you dig, but that's exploitable, and it won't stop the xrayers finding your secret bases and raiding them.

I feel like Minetest is a step in the right direction. It is free open source, modular, and lightweight, with all mods being server side (so no need for modpacks) which don't break every single update. My biggest issue is that most mobs are even more retarded than comparable Minecraft mobs, getting stuck at 1 block high hills, but then at the same time some mods have humantier tracking chasing after you and throwing fucking glass at you (i have only found this enemy in creative with a spawner though) which I wish more mobs were like

The games are similar and therefore comparable but Minecraft is a sandbox first and foremost while Terraria is much more objective based. The difference being you create your own objective in Minecraft whereas in Terraria you loosely follow set objectives, it doesn't feel like a sandbox and I wouldn't want Minecraft like that at all. Minecraft has been trying to imitate Terraria with shitty bosses and NPC and other rpg crap and its shit, fuck off

Dump the survival shit. Best part of Minecraft was the building.
Embrace that, I say, and you'd do alright. Best times were, for me, before the shit food system, before Minecraft was an 'adventure' game. Back when it was about exploring and building.

Honestly there is nothing wrong with using cheat clients in Minecraft

Pick one and only one.

sadly the most underdeveloped aspect. along with digging for some unholy reason what the hell its minecraft!
im guessing it has a lot to do with the rendering engine, the game might explode if we had massive crystal caverns 700 blocks deep

Revert to beta 1.7/1.6 maybe 1.8 if I'm feeling generous, rebuild the game from scratch, possibly by actual programmers, and integrate a fucking modding api.

Freetards can't program. No surprise there.

I managed to mcgyver firearms into terrafirmacraft with no modding experience.

only problem is you have to make a different recipe for every point of durability in each weapon
ex: cleaning kit restores 40 durability and weapon has 80 total, so at every point at 40- you have to make a different recipe with the correct input (the weapon with the original durability) and an output (the weapon with the original durability + 40)

This somehow seems stupid. Like asking someone to redline a drawing, to which he replies "erase everything, and then get an actual artist to draw it for you".

so minetest

Proprietaryfags have to deal with decade-old win32sys exploits

I could write a book about all the problems of Minecraft. But I won't because it's made billions of dollars so it must be doing SOMETHING right.

go for it, theres a ton of other useless minecraft books

I would alter the way ore spawns in the world and add new ones, in addition to new stone types.

While this doesn't rectify other issues, namely the hunger system and potions it would make exploring the underground much more interesting.
For example, I would change coal deposits to reflect their normally planar nature. In reality, coal forms in mostly laterally continuous beds near a shoreline. What this translates to in rocks is that coals are almost always surrounded by shales and sandstones. What this means is that coal doesn't form as individual blebs of rock within other rock unless that rock is severely metamorphosed. Even then, the coal bed would've started out as a planar entity.
I'd also make it so that some coal seams are more valuable than others, with special high yield ore blocks. The normal coal ore block would still be useful in less valuable seams or on the fringes of big ones.

As for new stones, get rid of the "Stone" block altogether, keeping its designation only as a placeholder when stone-type metadata isn't available for whatever reason. Also have caverns reflect the fracture habit of their parent rock. Caves in limestone would be most prevalent and retain their current shape, but caverns in igneous rocks would be hacklier and more linear.

While I know that TFC and other mods do things like this, I would like to see greater understanding of geology in games that are essentially about mining and resource collection.

bump

Mining blocks in general being so fucking tedious is my number one problem with the game. Ore is especially bad. I'm not good enough with redstone (nor do I have the patience to watch tutorials) to build those retardedly huge lolautism iron and gold farms, so it takes me literal hours of mining to gather up enough resources to, say, build a rail line somewhere. And if I want to build a bunch of brick buildings, I have to go wander about for several more hours, looking for swamps to get clay to make bricks.

The problem is that there just isn't much to DO in Minecraft aside from building things, and yet building things is the biggest pain in the fucking ass. It takes roughly 50/50 amount of time to gather resources as you actually spend building, and that's bullshit. Imagine if, in order to watch TV, you had to spend the same amount of time hand-cranking a wheel on the side to build up a charge? So, supposing you wanted to watch an hour long program, you first had to sit next to the TV for an hour cranking and cranking at the damn thing, just staring at a blank screen as you do so. Nobody would fucking watch TV if they had to go through that. But that's what mining in Minecraft is. Just wandering through caves and branch mining for mindless hours and hours.

This is why every playthrough turns into creative mode after the first ten or twenty hours. I just one day decide I want to build something, but don't want to spend an hour mining, because I know by the time I'm done I'll be so sick of it that I won't want to build that thing anymore. I don't want to play a game that forces half my experience to be grinding mindlessly at shit. It's why I never play RPGs.

Is terrafirma any good?
Does anyone know of any good server to play survival on?

I'm actually working on a overhaul mod for mining right now, because I would agree that it's way too fucking tedious in some areas.
So far I have this in mind:
>diamond/emerald ores will be replaced with scattered dense stone that could drop geodes that can produce 1-3 gems in a rock tumbler

That's pretty fucking stupid, my man. The fun of Tekkit was combining the mods to exploit your resources and do things infinitely easier.
And so on.

Doing that always felt a little exploit-y though.
On the other hand:
I always approve of using techmods to conquer magical realms. Especially the Underdark from ExtraUtilities. Fuck your darkness, I have floodlights!

Sage and report for using a fucking imgur meme.

OP here, google images betrayed me.

You're worse than OP