Why people love bethesda

What is the appeal of skyrim and fallout 4? And bethesda games in general? Why normalfags who just started getting into video games love them so much? They literally scream they are the best games ever, and there's no video games better than bethesda games.

Do you believe future bethesda games will ever acknowledge their flaws and revert to classic concept of rpg, dialogues and leveling up system with point distribution, alongside with better combat, animation and story? Or they will continue to rely on idiots who make mods that usually never fix real flaws of their games, since community is just as retarded, as bethesda itself?

What if tomorrow for liking fallout 2, daggerfall or morrowind you will look like a sore loser in eyes of most nu-gamers?

why do you give a shit you dumb nigger

Superb taste in music obviously.

Expensive marketing campaign.

You really believe that? I would never believe that Bethesda's marketing is more expensive than EA or Ubisoft one, but normalfags prefer beth games more because "muh freedom to go anywhere, and do meaningless shit everywhere".

They are great exploration games with good level design, fucktons of content, dlc with fucktons of content instead of two additional guns like everywhere else.
The combat and animations have been getting better with each game bethesda released, and fighting enemies in fallout 4 doesn't make me want to kill myself, it's competent. If they continue that way we could see some nice stuff in TES.
Fallout 4 has that in a very rudimentary way, but the reason it was changed is because it's an exploration game first and foremost, like most modern bethesda titles.

You sound like a huge fucking pussy.

Skyrim players are degenerates.
Only reason anyone 'plays' their games are for giant fake tits and horse dicks.

Hello bait. I wanted to have negative skyrim/bethesda thread for once, after all your "muh skyrim modding" shit you posted here so often.

I like the lore in TES. Beth's Fallout games are non existent to me. Doom 4 plays like Quake, not like Doom. I don't know what else to add.

Normal, non-jaded people generally like these sort of things. If you needed someone to point this out to you then you're a retard.

Yes, there is literally no reason for them not to.

They don't care, you're the sad faggot that has to constantly bring them up.

Oh, I am not baiting. While it's true that I wouldn't call skyrim and fallout 4 an rpg, that doesn't make them bad games. It just disappoints me.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Plus expectations for games are so low they'll take anything.

To this day i cannot comprehend how canulla Oblivion got 9 and 10 everywhere when it came out.
Either journos were bribed and showered in merch like crazy or everyone lost their minds.

There's pretty much no competition in the niche they carved out for themselves.

Because they don't know any better and/or don't care that much about games so they just need something a bit entertaining and don't look deeply into quality or care/know if something was done better before.

Alternatively, and perhaps most likely, they just know it is popular with their friends and have weak minds so they assume their friends must be right. This would also play into not knowing/caring beyond wanting a bit of distraction.

I used to like Bethesda when I was an underage B&. Morrowind was pretty much the game of my childhood, along with various oldshool RTS, I even liked Oblivion, but now I can see its shit. Everything post 2002 Bethesda is objectively shit, Fallout 3 was 5/10 however. Actually going back and playing it wasn't a good experience (without mods). New Vegas was vastly superior and even that Isn't that great in hindsight. Honest answer: video games are a lot more fun when you are a kid, when you grow older you require much more autistic shit to satiate your fun receptors.

Marketing and casuals who think that they aren't casual.

I never got this shit, most of you morons that make the same cookie cutter thread, standing around stupefied that people like what you don't like. Fuck, most people didn't even like fallout 4 and that's including the people that started with Skyrim. What do most TES fans say is their favorite title? Morrowind. Almost every time without fail. Why? Because it was really fucking good. Perfect writing, great sense of pacing, great world design, and huge amounts of player involvement.

That's why people play Bethesda games. They let you live out your fantasies and for normalfags it lets them act like total fucking dorks without social repercussions.

Go play it again. Don't use any of the fan made resources, just put in your CD and try playing it. Don't use DagXL or eye of argonina, look at the game as it was sent out. Its fundamentally broken in just about every conceivable way. Leveling is broken, there's no meaningful way to raise skills and the game never describes how it works in that slapped ass tutorial they give. You just increase skils for seemingly no reason, you'll sleep in town to discover your long blade skill went up despite you getting into no combat situations since your last rest. The world is broken, its just a randomly generated slop of shit with absolutely nothing interesting outside of dungeons and towns. Characters don't have anything to say, they speak in madlibs most of the time. Combat is broken, there's no way to determine how your swings correlate with hitting an enemy or damage done, its pure fucking chaos. Bows are unusable and stealth is a joke. Really the only way you can play is as a crusader which everyone one of you did, don't deny it or as a wizard.

The main fucking storyline is broken, the most unforgivable sin. You can't even finish the main quest half the time because it fucks up and dies on you, everyone's familiar with the bug with the exorcism mission that will make the game unwinnable but its not just that. If you do Elysana's quest then you can't do king helseths quest which breaks the game. If you open the door in mynseria's chambers wrong then the guards will attack you making the main quest unwinnable. This isn't like Morrowind's failure states because in Morrowind you could choose to break it whereas in daggerfall it would happen without you knowing about it. Daggerfall was never anything more than a sandbox for you to fuck around with. And this isn't me saying I hate daggerfall, I had a ton of fun with it, but if you're going to act like its the pinnacle of the TES series then you're just fucking wrong.

Its not secret why Bethesda games are really popular. It has nothing to do with advertising or catering to normalfags, its because they make games that no one else does. The TES series has amazing amount of lore and an in depth world, and the fallout games they made are just shit, I have no idea why people like them.

tl;dr, stop bitching about skyrim day after day you fucking spastics

Because, at least with TES, they're one of if not the only games of the type.
There's no GTA clone equivalent for TES.
We get shitty linear RPGs everywhere else.

I don't like Skyrim, but I've still stuck a load of hours in. You know why?
Because there's nothing else that does what it does.
There's nothing else that gives me a full spectrum of different races, throws me into a world with a decent lore around shit, and lets me go my own damn way.
Closest RPG games that do this, they've still got linear as fuck progression. Skyrim, you're free to do whatever you want. You can go from a mage to a warrior if that's what you want to do. The scaling makes it shit, but hey, you can do it.

Mostly, I like that jazz for the RP of it. I mean, "role playing game", right? "Role playing" should be the focus. Instead, it seems like "RPG" just means "leveling up and skill allocation mechanics".

I'l take you on this challenge then, you little bitch. While i do it, you go and install plain skyrim, without mods, without skse, without enb or even a single interface mod or unofficial patch. Not a single fucking texture or model, just plain skyrim legendary edition. You aren't even allowed to use skyrim configurator from nexus.

I'l install daggerfall right the fuck now, bitch, without even a blink of an eye. I was starving to play video games anyway, but you are in for a ride.

normalfags.

I know people who own more copies of skyrim than they do other games. Yes I believe that. It's a inferior product that's sold to retards via a strong marketing campaign.

there are fan made resources for Daggerfall???? Oh you mean DaggerfallXL? I just play it with DOSbox.

dubs does not excuse your lack incredulity. You said fan resources, now explain yourself faggot.

lack

I'll fucking tell you precisely why people like garbage like Skyrim and Fallout 3 and 4 so much. You have a large population of "gamers" who really have only played AAA shit, which is hugely linear. Then they get their hands on an open world game that gives them a ton more freedom to move around and do whatever the hell they want for the most part, even safeguarded against their own fuckups. Add casual as shit things like level scaling and have every NPC shower you with praise at every turn, making you the leader of shit just for doing a few fetch quests, and you have casual gold, praised by people who think long stints of poor to mediocre gameplay averages out to actually being a good game

????

GAMERS don't want games, they want EXPERIENCES

Shilling. LOTS OF SHILLING. I have yet to meet a person in real life who actually worships Beth games as it is on the internet. They play them a lot, but will have a somewhat decent perspective of the flaws of the games.

Trust me. Meet any normalfag and they will ALWAYS agree that:

And they will somewhat agree that:

People haven't been exposed to the open world with level ups gimmick (Bethesda's gimmick, regardless of what retarded fanboy's claim, nobody gives a shit about the first person perspective) long enough yet. However, the fact that Fallout 4, which is just Skyrim in another skin, dropped out of the public eye so quickly after release, even before the Skyrim Remaster, tells me that people are already starting to become inoculated against this gimmick. This is what will kill Bethesda in my opinion. The more people are exposed to these games the less they will be impressed with the open world gimmick, and they will be left with the realization that there is no substance behind these games whatsoever. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but eventually people will get bored and move on to the next shiny thing that catches there eye.

One last thing I'd like to mention, Bethesda may be speeding up the process in which people get bored of their games with the way they keep fucking up and not having a creation kit ready to ship with the game.

==TODD HOWARD TO BE INDUCTED INTO THE AIAS HALL OF FAME
AT THE 20TH D.I.C.E. AWARDS CEREMONY==
Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences
Award For Legendary Creator of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout Series

I can't speak for fallout 4, but Skyrim is a very mediocre game. There are different reasons to enjoy it, while it's execution is pure poop, there are really great aspects to it. It's a very easy RPG to get into, the world is enjoyable, the music is great, the environments are FANTASTIC, there are a lot of great ideas behind it. The whole dragon plot is just kind of stupid fun, but they had something with the whole civil war thing. My first time through I got really into fighting for the storm cloaks, the way they built it up I really felt like I was fighting for something in the game, and as the game progresses you see holes in what's happening, you realize it's not so black and white, and you hit a point where you realize that neither side is better than the other, stormcloaks are just as bad as the empire, but more harm is done if the storm cloaks win, I thought that was great. Then you have the climax fighting alduin on the mountain, that was pretty cool, but then you have the whole "Oh, by the way, he escaped or something", you've reached the point where you realize you are fighting in vane, you destroyed a whole city in vane, and now you have to keep up with the whole dragon plot, and everything, and I thought that was a big part of where the execution really failed. Over all with the whole civil war thing, the music, the environments, the game did a lot very right. At the same time you have that shity broken unoptimized engine. It feels like trash, it's animated poorly, the visuals are awful, there's a lot they did terrible on. This mix leads it to being mediocre, because every time they do something right, they ruin it with something else. But a normalfag is just going to play the game, with out really realizing how bad it feels, not caring about the bad execution, and they will enjoy the immersive world they built.

Also furry cat people make it more fun :^)

THAT'S NOT FUNNY

Ironic Toddposting is still Toddposting
Kill yourself

Faggots, all of you.
Battleborn had a huge marketing campaign and sank for more into it than Overwatch did and yet who came up ahead?
Lot's of games have incredible amounts of marketing and shilling and still flop hard, lots of games "appeal to casuals" and still flop hard as well.
Keep your bullshit brain-dead bait excuses to yourself, if you have nothing else to say but regurgitate whatever bullshit you've swalloed.
There's far more to it than marketing, shills and casuals and if you can't understand it, gitgud at bydiogaymes.

They are simple games that still allow you to do a lot and live your fantasies very easily over a massive area you're free to explore at will.
That's fucking it, that's the only reason and it's the strongest one.

Their Creation Kit is shit but it does one thing excedingly well: load up a world with multiple cells all interconnected for you to wander around.
Compare that with other adventure\RPG games where you move around in a literal map instead of the world, where you can only travel to whatever location you've been before to find nothing new but weaker enemies or the new area to progress your quest.

All their RPG mechanics are fairly basic as well and mostly inconsequential. Strength in Oblivion for instance, at 0 you did regular damage, at 100 you did double damage and that was it. They simplify those mechanics with every iteraction of the [Bethesda Game] because they stopped trying to have them interconnect with the roleplaying. It's hard to pretend you are strong when your Strength is just 36 and it's detrimental to the Pretend part of it if there's a system telling you exactly how strong or though you are.

If you will, there's no real Roleplaying in [Bethesda Game] only varying degrees of Pretending. You pretend your characters thinks this or does that, you pretend some action you did has a consequence, even though neither of this is part of the code or acknowledged by the game at all.
Mods are essentially an attemp to shift from Pretending to Roleplaying, having the game actually acknowledge my character eating a meal or treating wounds.

But in the end, the appeal is that you can have fun with those games as long as you don't think too hard about them. They are just fun, not necessarilly good.

I can't speak for fallout 4, but Skyrim is a very mediocre game.
There are different reasons to enjoy it, while it's execution is pure poop, there are really great aspects to it. It's a very easy RPG to get into, the world is enjoyable, the music is great, the environments are FANTASTIC, there are a lot of great ideas behind it. The whole dragon plot is just kind of stupid fun, but they had something with the whole civil war thing.

My first time through I got really into fighting for the storm cloaks, the way they built it up I really felt like I was fighting for something in the game, and as the game progresses you see holes in what's happening, you realize it's not so black and white, and you hit a point where you realize that neither side is better than the other, stormcloaks are just as bad as the empire, but more harm is done if the storm cloaks win,
I thought that was great.

Then you have the climax fighting alduin on the mountain, that was pretty cool, but then you have the whole "Oh, by the way, he escaped or something", you've reached the point where you realize you are fighting in vane, you destroyed a whole city in vane, and now you have to keep up with the whole dragon plot, and everything, and I thought that was a big part of where the execution really failed.

Over all with the whole civil war thing, the music, the environments, the game did a lot very right.
At the same time you have that shity broken unoptimized engine. It feels like trash, it's animated poorly, the visuals are awful, there's a lot they did terrible on. This mix leads it to being mediocre, because every time they do something right, they ruin it with something else.

But a normalfag is just going to play the game, with out really realizing how bad it feels, not caring about the bad execution, and they will enjoy the immersive world they built.

THERE, YOU FUCKING NGGER! NOW MAYBE SOMEONE WILL ACTUALLY READ IT
FUCK ALL OF YOU AND YOUR REDDIT SPACING, THIS IS THE RETARDED SHIT YOU GET BECAUSE OF THAT

That is because you are an easily amused faggot. I couldn't give a shit about the main quest and I gave less of a shit about the civil war.

Sorry for liking something you didn't

Do you honestly think that the civil war not being Black and White was clever?

For what it is worth, you're both wrong. The civil war shit was interesting, until you realized it was about as in-depth as a kiddie pool in the desert.

I never called it clever, but they did a good job of making it immersive, I really enjoyed it.

The world is about to end and you expect me to care about this gayshit.

The game makes me feel like the people are interested in living as much I am interested in saving their asses; not at all.

True enough: It doesn't help that the main story is trash, and in order to actually do it, you either have to run some absolutely fuck-retarded 'treaty' or win for one side or the other, because some dumbfucks think it is a better idea to murder eachother than to let you take care of saving the goddamn world.

Fair enough, I'm not the author of that post.

This is actually on point. As per [Bethesda Game], they always have an excelent premise but horrible execution.

A civil war among vikings, nordics and roman centurions? And it has norse mythology and Briar Heart and the witches because the Stormcloaks forced a bunch of people into the wilds? And it happens during the time where dragons are awakening? And one of them is the literal Apocalypse?
Sign me the fuck up!

Oh, wait. The Dragon part only starts if you actually go check with the Greybeards and you can complete the entire civil war without seeing a single dragon, except for Alduin in the start.
Oh and you can also miss the round table discussion with the Greybeards if you don't try to do the civil war and the dragon quest at the same time, like anyone sensible would do.
What's that? You want political intrigue, sabotage, inteligence gathering and other standard political shenaningans in your civil war? Don't be silly, let's all go inside this crypt and fight some Draugr for a magguffin that solves our problems.
Tactics and taking over towns sure sounds fun. So why don't you just go to their fort, kill everyone dressed in a different color than you and then head for the city and do the same? That's just as good, isn't it?
Ah, right. You expected there to be consequences for your actions, that you'd be attacked by Stormcloacks if you joined the Imperials and you had to disguise yourself if you wanted to go into their cities, right? Nope! Nobody gives a flying fuck about anything, capturing cities changes the guards uniform and the banners for the other faction, that's it.

How? All you do is go to unrelated crypts for artifacts that shouldn't matter or do other pointless tasks, there's never any political or phylosophical debate going there to differentiate those factions at all. Seriously, you have more immersive debate between Holla Forums and Holla Forums and with better fights too!

Speaking of fights, how was this shit immersive? You talk with your faction leader, he points to a fort.
You go there and find 10-15 Stormcloacks and 10-15 Imperials standing around until you go near, at which point a battle starts. They can murder every single person on your side and you still win if you kill them as well. And since you'll reload everytime you die and going away only means you'll have to come later to finish it, you can't lose a single battle ever.

And straightly after the fort, you are sent to the city where the same boring undefeatable battle happens in the streets and the local Jarl shows up mildly miffed that someone else gets to be Jarl now, and that's it.
The town has a few cosmetic changes to some houses, banners change from Imperial to Stormcloak and vice-versa and some NPCs have lines to ask "how are things now", the town stays exactly the same afterwards.

What's worse is that they gave no fucks about how people would go about this, especially with Fast Travel.
I pretty much left that shit for late game and I did all battles and all towns in an hour or so, just Fast Travel between your capital and the town in question for battle, then go back to the Capital and do it again for a total of 4 times and bam, you won!

There's teenagers currently alive who will have never have played the "classics". They'll have never touched anything made before 2010, and if they do try to play something like Daggerfall or Morrowind or the original Fallout games, or stuff like Quake or Doom II, the only thing they'll have to say about it will be shit like "why are the graphics so bad?" "this is too hard!" "why can't I hit anything?"
They'll have never played anything on a Gameboy or a Genesis or NES/SNES/N64. All they know is AAA garbage that gets marketed directly at them. And they think Skyrim and Witcher are innovative and amazing because these are the only open world RPGs they've ever seen.
This is the new generation of gaming. This is the target demographic, and it will only continue to be dumbed down as time goes on. Unless there's some massive renaissance in video games, but that won't happen.
Short version: 12 year olds on reddit are the new gaming demographic and they're all filthy casual scum.

the questlines and music are actually fairly high quality
yeah the gameplay is bad and its full of more bugs than an ant farm but newfags and casuals are legitimately too dumb to know any better

Almost every single quest in the game involves fighting draugrs in crypts just for the sake of mask/artifact collection thingy. I remember the very first normalfag complain about the entire game was nothing but the fact the game always forces you to go through same looking repetitive dungeons, solve tons of kindergarden tier repetitive puzzles with claws and rotating stones and fight some draugr lord. Like hundred times in a row for every quest line. Of course there are also falmers, bandits, vampires and forsworn, but they are even less varied and easier to kill.

Game relied on dungeons so much, that you can wander in a random dungeon without ability to progress through it just because it belongs to some shitty quest line, and there are bunch of those dungeons. The amount of effort they put into dungeons and locations is so fucking low, they could make the game world larger at very least, to make it more daggerfall-like, since their quality is no better than random generator anyway.

user. No. They will say instead "how retro, this looks like minecraft!"

user, please, get a rope and hang yourself. Skyrim literally raped typical TES questlines in guilds and factions, by making them as short as possible to allow random generated missions to begin as soon as possible.

Not necessarily true. Dark Brotherhood only gives you randomly generated quests after you've done it all, and the Thieves guild takes some effort to get into while having a main quest tha's actually quite interesting.
The Mage's Guild gives you random chores to do after you get in, but at the same time you get a bunch of quests from each person that are not randomly generated as well and feed nicely into the story there.
It's not all that bad except for the Companions, who should have been the focus

It's the college of Winterhold, dumb nigger. The thieves' guild is utter trash, you literally get invited with a fucking red carpet just because some guy thinks you "look like a thief" and decides to let you in on where the guild hides out, who every single member is and all the other details about them after you steal a ring for him. That's fucking laughable. Not to mention you don't need any thief skills to do the quests, or even be picked out in the first place.

The whole "The civil war was interesting because it wasn't Black and White." was a meme. This moral ambiguity bullshit is an easy way to say that your writing has depth. The plans of Institute doesn't make any fucking sense. President Eden asking you to help the Enclave in the last minute or blowing himself up is stupid. Fallout: New Vegas didn't try to be balanced to both sides yet there is more to give a shit about.

Who the fuck cares? Get the fuck out.

Zenimax's/Bethesda's shtick is making games that seem to have high production values; that seem to have immersive, detailed worlds; that seem to offer infinite gameplay. That's their thing: Where other developers might actually care about the games they make (quite possibly at the cost of appearances - see muh atmosphere, etc, in regard to New Vegas, for a quick and cheap example), for Zenimax/Bethesda it's all about appearances.

I think the problem is that Bethesda can't separate lore from story.
All the Civil War, witches, forsworn is all very interesting lore-wise, but injected into the story it just becomes a muddled mess. Not enough of it is presented to be a main story point, but too much of it is shoved in your face to just be a lore item.

Playing games released pre-2010 already makes you a bitter luddite in the eyes of normalfags, especially if you don't also play shitloads of current year AAA titles

How the fuck then Morrowind managed to inject all its rich lore in quests without becoming a theme park? Consistency of the game and logically placed lore elements are as important to game's atmosphere, as soundtrack and graphics. Fallout 4 is the worst theme park game they made so far. Everything happening everywhere. Right around the corner you have super mutants doing their shit, bandits waiting you with turrets, and a boy in the fridge who nobody ever seen for 200 years.

Good riddance i don't have friends. I have nobody to answer for my tastes.

Probably because that rich lore of tes is a bad joke.

No obligations to casuals. No requirement for every single to be voice acted. A more passionate dev team/writers.

you have Holla Forums to answer to.

The peehole that actually had/has tumlbrtale/watch threads?
Answer to people who play WoW?
?
??
???

stopped reading there

Second one is new to me, saved/

I will easily tell you.
It is game that requires less mental capacity than standing. Casuals love it because you can do cool stuff and get epic gear by doing nothing but playing for long enough.

I can see here you haven't played Fallout 4.

You know our hivemind. We cannot allow ones against it to lurk here.
Especially after that furry told this other furry gmail.com doesn't belong to Konami.

The only thing that unites us is imageboard culture, not taste in video games, user. Not even politics.

it was j-just a joke y-you guys

A confusing one for sure.

Bully him.

Blizzard has released nothing about Overwatch's budget, set aside its marketing costs. So don't delude yourself into thinking Overwatch was on a shoestring budget compared to Battleborn. For all we know, Overwatch's marketing budget could be easily double that of Battleborn's entire budget.

All TES suck. We'll never get an actually good one.

Name an open world action rpg that doesn't suck.

Does RPG with world map for travel counts as open-world?
Gothic if it doesn't.

Can't create your own character in that one.

Maybe it's all a ploy to get more people to player harder video games. They cast the net with hyped up casual trash and then hype up an old school cRPG as if it was the Skyrim 2 on steroids.

Character is made for you from the outside but games makes sure this character is you. He is nameless and without backstory for this reason, games also gives you quite a bit of freedom in how he acts.

Also don't say it is requirement for open-world Fallout 4 have much less in terms of character creation and progress and it is open-world.

Still waiting for response about map.

name an action rpg that doesn't suck

frankly if you ever thought any of those games were good you shouldn't have any problem with liking fallout 4 and skyrim.

diablo

M&M 5, 6, 7

I think for most people its a love/hate. I'm playing through fallout 4 right now and it really breaks immersion that you have to cross your fingers every 5 min hoping nothing crashes or breaks. Also the classic power creep where you hit the point where you become too powerful and break the game.

The best new thing is building your own settlements. Which is relatively amazing. But of course it is Bethesda so the settler AI has to be beyond retarded and broken. We aren't allowed to have anything nice in the current year.

This user gets it.

Weirdly enough, Fallout 4 only crashed once for me in a fuckton of playtime. The bigger issue for me is shit framerate, which sometimes drops to single digits in certain locations (the church over railroad, shaw school, mechanist's lair) for no reason at all. These areas have nothing going on that warrants such shit performance.
Also every 15 minutes or so the game freezes for a couple of frames and then unfreezes itself. It feels really awkward, especially if you happen to be in combat.

Settlers constantly spawn on the roof of buildings, and it is also retarded that the fuckers won't even collect food to not starve to death unless you teleport there and tell them.

Normalfags fall over nuBethesda shit because they're the only ones making open world games for casuals as opposed to the other AAA shit being pushed onto them that's all linear roller-coasters. It gives their games an illusion of "depth" and "freedom" when in reality they're as shallow and simple as every other big budget action game on the market.

Several big game publishers realized the popularity of this as well, especially Ubisoft who has been making all their games open world with some tacked on "progression" to try and attract the audience for Beth games. It's actually quite the attractive prospect - no need to create as many big and flashy cinematic set pieces and you have an easy excuse for poor graphical performance or bugs.

Are you trying to say they 'fawn over nubethesda shit?

Oblivion was superb.

lmoa

Morrowind showed them consoles were a viable platform for their products.
Oblivion showed them catering to the lowest denominator was a viable product strategy.
Fallout 3 showed them cannibalizing properties without any consideration for what said property stood for w]was a big moneymaker.
Skyrim showed them heavy marketing precedes quality every time.
Fallout 4 showed them that maybe the retards buying their products can't be fooled more than 3 times in a row.
The next lesson they learn might be the final one.
I don't mean Bethesda, as that entity is long dead. I mean Zenimax.

They are role playing games where the person playing them can play the role of somebody who's playing a complex RPG.
Turns out casuals really like to pretend that they're "core"-gamers or however you wanna call it.

Man, that was nine minutes of garbage opinions

Google Daggerfall Unity

Don't forget Horse Armor DLC showed them people are stupid enough to pay for anything.

Bloodmoon was pretty good. Pirates of the Caribbean was ok, too.

I had normalfag friends tell me after awhile they realize Fallout 4 wasn't great, one of them I know is enjoying Fallout New Vegas more.

No other company makes a game that lets you wander freely without blocks.

I don't know.

They're games that are just fun enough and just interesting enough to keep the average consumer entertained so that they can't get a refund on it.

what's wrong with steam?

It imposes DRM and spying. It's like iTunes for games. It keeps you from having control over the games you pay for. It prevents you from sharing your games. It forces you to have it running even if you're not shopping, regardless of whether the game has networking. It even censors the word Holla Forums. It acts as a digital prison used to manipulate and control the users.

I liked Fallout 2

Massive open-world with no comprises besides budgets and deadlines.

what the fuck are you talking about, no one bought that shit.

Look at the DLC Bethesda made since that point. Oblivion had knights of the nine and shivering isles which were superb. There was houses or some such shit but barely anyone bought those too. Fallout 3 only had expansion pack style DLC. Skyrim had decent DLC too, dragonborn was great, dawnguard was good, hearthfire was nice. Fallout 4 added those asinine crafting packs and no one bought them. Even those had actual content to them. Oblivion had a ton of DLC and most of it was shit, and it was shit that no one bought.

Horse armor taught Bethesda that people aren't stupid enough to pay for anything. For fucks sake they still get shit for it, as they rightfully should.

Bullshit. And how can you call Knights of the Nine superb? It was one extra linear quest and a set of armor. Bethesda released free plugins with new quests and armor for Morrowind? How do they justify charging for that shit for Oblivion? How can you justify paying for that shit and saying it is superb? The reality is that all of Oblivion's DLC was subpar, and a lot of people bought it. You are talking out of your ass.

Plebs who scream "deus vult" constantly roleplaying vicious medieval catholic killers would buy into anything that catters them and praise it like its the best thing ever. Same reason why "praise the sun" is the most memorable maymay to most dark souls players.

Everyone knows Bethesda is god-tier when it comes to making the best games in the world.

So would you please buy their games?

no wonder most of you talk shit about TES games, you never even fucking bothered to play them. Why does knights of the nine have such good writing compared to the rest of oblivion? Look at who helped make it.

Because the player gets to bring their personal experience in Bethesda games. No other game can ever be this subjective. Todd sells experience, not games. TES is the video game equivalent of kino.

They're unable to make an open world design that is half as satisfying as Todd's though. Witcher 3, DA Cisquistion, Dragon's Dogma, none of them delivered the same quality of world design as TES. Say what you want about Beth's dialogue, RPG mechanics, dungeon design, bugs. Their world design and NPC programming is always immersive.

I agree as I found it very fun and enjoyable.

that's a very Ayleid thing of you to say, user

Steam isn't DRM technically, but it can be used as DRM by having to be connected to the Steam API to play (such as offline mode), and the "DRM" is not strict or hard to crack AT ALL. The current cracks for it are universal.
You can copy or move the game files from your Steamapps folder and crack it and it will work if it doesn't have networking. That's how I downloaded Skyrim on free weekend and got to play it past the end.
It doesn't censor Holla Forums links anymore. Might censor Holla Forums in user name though, but that also censors the word "support" so it's pretty retarded.

Except he was talking about Morrowind you mongoloid.

It's all we got.

It started with Morrowind, of all games, during a time when Bethesda was in dire straits; financial trouble.
Along comes Microsoft with their brand spanking new XBOX console - a bit better than the PS2, yes, but still a console.
Microsoft proposed they help Bethesda out with their problems, but in exchange had to make Morrowind, as well as their other games, specifically for the XBOX - they could then port them to the PC if they wanted.

Since it was either sink or be Microsoft's bitch for a while, they decided to work with the limitations of a console. This turned out to be a pretty bad idea since they had to cut back on many features of all of their games, Morrowind included, just to get the shitheaps to work on the XBOX.
Because the art assets(Models, textures, sounds, etc.) take up more and more room and require more power to even display, they can't make much improvement in terms of actual features. This on top of their parent company, Zenimax, and publisher, Bethesda Softworks, cracking the whip to release on meme dates(11/11) puts a retarded amount of pressure on a relatively casual development studio like Bethesda(BGS).

Todd knows the games aren't up to par, but he's doing what he can with what he's given, Dreamboy.

Wasn't morrowind supposed to have more populated cities, have bigger lands and initially higher resolution textures, with more animations for npcs and such?

Yeah, too much for the XBOX to handle so it got scrapped.

I wasn't too big on Morrowind, though, I was more pissed about Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. They got fucked pretty bad in the switch to console development to the point where the port is barely playable even with patches.

I would pirate them

But now there's no limitations for bethesda. No dvd or cd limitations, games can weight for 60 gigabites, that's enough to make a good game. But fallout 4 still sucked. I don't have too much hope for next TES.

Zenimax is their limitation. Bethesda Softworks, their publisher, is their limitation.
They say what goes, not Todd, because they control the funds.

i struggle to believe that article is real, no one could be that lazy into doing research, it reminds me when during the E3 demo they showed the female player model and the entire crowd went bat shit insane clapping and cheering for something that has been in nearly all RPG games since day one

It's real. I can't remember what site(s) reported that, but it's real.
Kotaku "leaked" a script of the beginning segment of the game, claiming the protagonist was a male and would be voiced.
People took it as fact and thought you couldn't play as a female character.

Of course, they weren't entirely wrong, since that was the very first plan for FO4, but then you get all these "journalists" who wanted to jump on the hype train without doing any research whatsoever.

They're highly effective Skinner Boxes.

HAHAHAHA

Hey guys, just want to ask, but does anyone have that pdf of that one user who criticized bethesda's new themepark design?

Weirdly, Fallout 4 is the only bethesda game that's an actually good base for modding since its their first game when you don't get shitty faces or shitty combat, and you don't need to mod those two factors at all. Except everything else is pure shit.

If you are planning to mod anything, mod F4.

Holy shit, what an autism.

Originally Morrowind was going to have the entire province as playable and not just Vvardenfell.

That's all that makes a game "good base for modding"?

I replayed FO3 recently. Note, I spammed the blistering stupidity of fo3 everywhere there were shills to boycott fo4. But fallout 3 story makes sense, and I ended up believing that bgs did't write it. The story was part of the assets they bought with the franchise. To support this, they made fo4 story exactly like fo3, they didn't even try to write something original. Skyrim had a better (less lore-raping, i should say) setting than oblivion, but the story is shit. BGS isn't writing anything on their own, fallout 3 and 4 was the result of black isle writing, and skyrim and oblivion where written by MK. Of course, the further they go, the less detailed the story of the next game is. They may know what is going to happen in the next tes, but they don't have enough shit to build anything around it. Less hope they hire MK as a free lancer, at least. They did it for the dragonborn dlc.

Sage for bgs thread.

Yeah, and that's part of the problem. They placed it on the opposite site of the US of Freedom, that could've given them a chance to do something of their own but they rehashed (incompetently) FO1 and 2 stuff. Super mutants, Enclave, FEV, BoS.

Besides being subjective, if you feel that to be true then why not read about it in uesp. You still haven't justified paying money for a short questline and new set of armor, the very kind of thing that was released in free plugins for Morrowind. Knights of the Nine was a piece of shit compared with Morrowind's expansions. Who give a shit who Pelinal was? Oblivion sucked.

lmao you yourself admit that oblibion has shit writing

Why do you think the Force Awaken is basically a New Hope for the [current year]? People magically forgetting that the numbers 1 and 2 comes before 3 is also not an accident.

Good joke. Their worlds are theme park tier in design, with little cohesion and shallow as all hell in terms of player interaction, included NPC interactions. Radiant AI my ass.

wew lad

they were also going to make the game on a time limit and have corprus spread from town to town gradually

Used to be no competition, now every company is making open world games. Even indi and small studios are cranking on innovative open world adventures. Then in the Triple A space it's become common. Witcher 3 dethroned Skyrim in normalfags eyes, but they're not cranking games out like Bethesda is.

Ultimately Bethesda is dying. Few of their game break even outside Bethesda developed ones and even then 4 sold worse than New Vegas. You talk to normal gamers and most of them think 4 is absolute shit. Only on Reddit does it get love.

Quick question
Would it be possible for bethesda and/or todd howard to get the funds to make a theme based on the games they made?

m8 half of Holla Forums would never have the patience to get through castle darkmoor

I no

Really? Name some other than Witch32

cisquisition

I guess it's a combination of marketing, lack of competition (there is nothing quite like TES/Fallout) and the fact that their more recent games are made for casual babies, who also happen to be the majority.

Personally, I don't like Fallout at all. Morrowind is really good and Oblivion is better than Skyrim if you completely ignore the retarded level scaling.

Focusing more and more on consoles probably didn't help either.

Try one that's not gay please.

Ubisoft is doing it with pretty much all of their games
As for other companies

he prolly meant sequel to linear game going open world.

Todd is great at making a big picture, image as a whole. His details might be lacking coherence and elaboration at places, but small details are inconsequential and insubstantial in the grand scale of things TES games generated. And even with the lack of details in smaller scale, there's still more details than other devs managed to deliver.

Those games are a lot more lifeless and desolate than any TES games though.

You mean the game where the pedestrian AI walks through each other and keeps bumping the horse?

who gives a shit, they are objectively wrong

Most of those are rip-offs of GTA rather than TES.
They provide minimum interaction, if any, with the environment or non-hostile characters.

having pirated full edition and not knowing which one is which, it seems to me like there were only 4 dlcs
Automatron - a chain of 3-4 quests with a nice dungeon in the end with an ability to make your own robots taped on. Wouldn't pay for it.
Vault shit - you can build vault shit and there are quests about building three things in a vault. Would call anybody who paid for it a retard.
Far harbor - adds a pretty big island with a fuckton of quests, a bunch of new gear and the story is actually kinda interesting this time. Fallout 4's Dragonborn.
Nuka-World - adds a location that is smaller than Far Harbor, has less to do and the only new quests are raider quests. If you don't like raiders, well, you are out of luck. If you do run with raiders you might break the main quest as the minutemen will hate you and attack on sight. However, I saw a fuckton of people on this very board say that "playing as a raider is the obvious thing to do with the settlement system" ever since the fame came out, so I guess Beth actually listened. Or, more likely, just guessed.

Were there other DLCs? I haven't really seen anything that would warrant it.

There are supplemental DLCs called 'Wasteland Workshop' that adds things to settlement building.
They aren't worth it.

we have ID's

Besides vault shit they also had another pack that just added more useless things to put on settlements.

why are you here?

Why are you here? I can spend 30 seconds reading your "greatest lore" so I can have my free time to play games that aren't shit, instead of wasting it on Knights of the Nine. I couldn't get all the way through that garbage when I played it. I was already spent after being dissapointed by the vanilla game and Shivering Isles.

knights of the nine wasn't shitty DLC, it added plenty of content. Rebuilding the priory was cool, gathering all the relics was great, and the dungeons it added were fun. Most people who played it didn't realize just how important the knights of the nine were for the overall canon, if you read the song of Pelinial (which they were kind enough to leave in the priory to read) then you get the full scoop.

really nigger?

I played half of it. Also, all that shit, some quests, a couple new dungeons, a shitty new set of armor. Those are all things Morrowind got as free plugins. That's the third time I've said it now. Justify spending money on that. Why are you telling other people they don't belong here when you are defending spending money on shit DLC for a shit game?

that isn't a free plugin for morrowind. Morrowind had fort firemoth, a total pile of shit dungeon, the entertainers pack, unplayably broken, and lefemme armor that looks fucking hideous. Oh wait there's also swamp sounds.

Wow, its almost like all the free plugins for morrowind were total garbage and didn't add any new content like you describe.

there was decent bow merchant in vivec with daedric bow and lot of gold

oh wait there's also the mask of whogivesafuck, ugly and useless, and the master propylon index, the only plugin that was somewhat useful. If only it wasn't a FUCKING FETCH QUEST THAT TAKES 4 GODDAMN HOURS

oh yeah, the area of effect arrows were pretty nice now that you mention it.

That design is the antithesis of immersive. It creates a huge disconnect between locations and gives us a world that lacks cohesion. Balance between consistency and variety is key in world design.
Maybe if a good big picture were one that's both inconsistent and lacking in cohesion while also being somehow dull and unimaginative in individual locations.

I wasn't talking about the factions, i was talking about the main quest.

Your father behavior is consistent with his character, he always was impulsive and emotional.

The purifier is a strategical tool, it gives power all over the region.
It makes sense to put it there at the end of the river, you could always link it to idraulic system.
The potomac above the city is full of radioactive barrels in many different spots, if you put the purifier closer to the source of the river, near the capital the water would still be polluted. Since solutes move from a place were they are more concentrated to a place where they are less concentrated, the purifier cleans the water above itsef to some extent. It could reach the supermutant areas (the radioactive barrels are outside the city).
There are reasons why the geck is needed, your father tells you that to purify that much water you need more than a normal purifier like the one in the vault. BTW the geck has little other uses besides purifing water. It builds bricks and is a source of energy, that's it.
The enclave knew from the start where the geck was and they knew it was need for the project to be completed. They wait for you to retrieve it because they need you. The ambush makes sense. We already see the colonnel surviving a high dose of radiations, so i don't see why they would have had problems getting into vaul 87.
The fev doesn't kill everything right away. Eden itself say something like "the longer the project runs, the further the virus spreads".
There are reasons why the lone wanderer would want to poison the water. Vault 101 is his home. Everytime you talk about the vault, you are given the choice of expressing nostalgia or be bitter like the fox to the grape. There isn't a way to be indifferent. In point lookout during the trip the games tells you what your characters feels, and he is homesick, alone and horrified. Of course, if you play without putting yourself into the lone wanderer shoes, putting the fev is a dumb idea. But to a paragon lone wanderer the chance of cleansing the wasteland from all the horrors to the benefit of your family is something to think about.

Speaking about the setting, FEV and supermutants are the only real inconsistencies. All the other factions have a reason to be there.

The bos had a lead on liberty prime, since it was a project that involved west tek.

And i don't know why they say the enclave was defeated once and for all in fallout 2. They lost a president, that's it. It was huge yes, but after 20-30 years who the fuck remembers richardson?
Is the complain about the numbers of enclave? Well the BoS had only 4000 thousands members and was called the steel plague by ncr.
The enclave had bunkers everywhere around america as big or bigger than lost hill. To date, after the defeat in the capital wasteland, they are probably the biggest faction.
Navarro has always being called "outpost", even after the exodus. They kept men there to distract the bos and the ncr while they reorganized and made defensive plans to protect themselves from their enemies expansion. The fact that they gave the remnants the order of mantaining a refueling station in mojave confirms that to me.
In the capital we meet a colonnel, not a general, and there are leads about a "high command".
My idea is that the enclave forces we met are something like a presidential division. A bunch of bodyguards that carry on the president deeds.
The enclave didn't really commit in reclaiming the wasteland, they always went for the easy way.
Richarson did make an investment in cleaning things up, but eden is just trying to catch an opportunity to reclaim a symbol in the cleanest way possible.
The enclave is far from gone and we have never seen them there where they are working for their primary project. I bet they have a whole fucking city around some nasa base, and they are still working on space travel. That's where the crawler was built, i bet.

who gives a hoot? do you get bent out of shape every time someone tells you those games arent that good on Holla Forums too? why do we have these threads every day?

anyways im pretty sure these games were popular with that crowd before they even know what mods were.

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that Knights of the Nine was the same level of quality as fort firemoth. But you're right, it was a pile of shit. Thanks for finally agreeing with me.

On the surface, they appear to be 'huge games'. That is, they market the worlds within them as being physically massive, with living and breathing environments and creatures, which makes people believe it's larger and more expansive than it really is.

Their robots can already filter water. If people wanted to, they could easily replicate a large number of those purifiers. I'm sure between Liam Neeson's science squad and the suddenly-friendly BOS they could build a whole purification system for each town
The geck is not a magical water purifier, that's a retcon
The BOS got a lead on something a continent away in an era with litle to no long-distance communication? And remember that even if the NCR is doing well at this point, the capital wasteland is still a massive shithole
Also why does anyone care that the Enclave has the capacity to purify water when they don't have the numbers to patrol all of the water in the region? Remember that you don't find out about Anti-FEV until you talk to President Computer (and have the option to convince him to an hero in about 2 lines)
Why do they give a shit about a random vault asshole at all?
Why has the game combined the FO1 and FO2 plots? I doubt the original team would have written anything like that, especially since they were working on Van Buren until Interplay-Fallout got shitcanned

FO3's story makes little sense and is clearly meant as a Fallout: Greatest Hits without any genuine care or attention paid to the actual series. It was, and still is, a cash grab

That second pic almost gave me an aneurysm

Emotional engagement is more important than intellectual engagement, and I actually see more cohesion in NPC's routine actions than in other games. I consider intricate small details in cohesion, such as the existence of crops in fallout games, to be petty and doesn't always do much in driving the player's emotional engagement.

The consistency in a big image rather than small image is more important. We're playing video games, not watching documentary films. Of course small details to give better coherence would be nice, but as the player sees a grand scale of things it would hold less meaning.

I don't think Todd has ever betrayed the aesthetic consistency in his game. As I've said, scientific accuracy isn't very significant in the big picture, what's important in emotional engagement are the aesthetics and the theme.

Source?

they stole modders work. The game itself was rubbish, what the modders did saved that game. Also it was developed by Akella, only Bethesda Published it whom only did patch and QA work on it as well as rebrand the game from Sea Dogs 2 to POTC (because Jerry Bruckheimer became a board member) during this time.

I can't even find the words i'm that fucking pissed off.

City of Abandoned Ships is the best game in the series btw. Better even than AC4.

lewd

It's a video game, not a documentary movie.

Translation: your ass

I'm saying that aesthetics are more important than scientific details, because there's no need for the player to know much. They just need to feel much.

A lot of them played it with the "Skyrim was pretty good, and this is basically that with guns" mindset and like it. It's the RPG and "play pretend" audience that doesn't like Fallout 4.
I mean, in Skyrim, you could at least write your character a cool backstory and kind of live in his shoes the entire game while you fake all his weaknesses and personality traits. Can't do that in Fallout 4.

ever heard of shills?

You spend most of the time on killing and looting, you want to dispute that?

Wow, that had literally nothing to do with what I was talking about.
Y'know, I'd actually challenge this claim if you actually presented an argument for it.
The fuck does this have to do with anything?
Yet the player is only ever dealing with the small details in the moment-to-moment gameplay, meaning that's what they're going to be most conscious of. Besides, a theme park design to locales just goes contrary to all of that big-picture shit - it gives you a bunch of separate and disconnected locations with their own rules that barely interact with each other. Joining
You're talking about one of the most shallow and inconsequential aspects of a game. When I spoke of "theme park design" I was speaking about the actual game design, not the art design. There's little choice and consequence in the actual game, the actions you partake in one town have practically no impact on interactions with the next.

For example, every town has in Skyrim has it's own politics and/or factions, and they all have practically no interaction with one another, barring the main quest factions. Though even those ones only really effect with each other at very specific junctions - interactions with them otherwise have minimal impact on the game world.

A game having combat does not make something an action game, the action mechanics make it one (those based on timing, reflexes, etc). Rhythm games are more action game than M&M.

*tips fedora**

It's really not that fucking hard. Skyrim is a big open fantasy world packed with content that is easy to play and has no real limits to stop you going wherever you want. Yes it has the depth of a puddle, yes the combat system is pretty shit compared to most other games, yes the story acted out by 5 voice actors isn't very good and yes it does not match up to most other RPGs when you directly compare mechanics.

It doesn't matter because people don't play and enjoy Skyrim for the thrilling story or deep combat, they play it so they can fuck around in Tamriel and roleplay as a fantasy character. It's not as good as most actual RPGs but it's got enough content and freedom that most players can fuck around for hours and enjoy themselves. The people calling it the "best game ever" are mostly blind fanboys who get taken in by the hype and don't understand what they enjoy about it or people who just don't have anything worthwhile to compare it to. It also attracts a very large audience of casuals who haven't played much else and can't stomach older games or games that have a lot of depth since they are just looking for a shallow and easy to get into experience. It's not hard to understand why people enjoy it and if OP wasn't such a faggot he could have made a better thread instead of repeating this tired old thread that will mostly be full of shitposting by the newfags who have plagued this board recently so they can try and fit in.

I don't base my game preferences off of what people on the internet think so I wouldn't know.

Here's the problem with your half-assed assertion

The consistency that you were addressing to is more mechanical than aesthetical.

I have. The big image (eg atmosphere, environment, npc behaviors) gives more impact to player's emotional experience as a whole, while small image is less significant in this regard.

Video games shouldn't try to teach us much, there's no need to. They should focus on experience instead of explicit knowledge.

There's more intellectual engagement involved in smaller details than emotional one. I consider consciousness here as a form of deconstruction or intellectual assessment rather than artistic experience. This is a preference of insignificant details rather than the beauty. I don't consider this as a legit immersion.

From scientific perspective, it can be seen as a form of disconnection. But from aesthetic perspective, it is an episodic experience.

Video game is quite close to cinema in it's presentation, albeit the interactivity and competitive mechanic. Due to it's ability to deliver the audiovisual form and sculpt it's own sense of time, visual theme or "how the story is delivered through visualization" is more influential to the audience's experience than the story and plot themselves. The goal is not to deliver a message, but to let players bring their personal experience. "Shallowness" is a shallow way to describe it. "Inconsequential" is how people like you would misunderstand the term artistic humility.

As explained by Todd Howard himself, TES has transcended traditional video game rules. TES is a series where players create their own experience. A traditional game design would be very restrictive to the player's personal experience. "Great game is played, not made".

I agree that it would be nice if the actions in skyrim gave more impact on the game world though. But mechanical coherence in TES seems like extremely insignificant.

Now you sound like David Cage. Or a pretentious game blogger.
Nigger, I'm talking about a game here.
You've never really gotten into a good game, have you? Poor thing.
>As explained by Todd Howard himself, TES has transcended traditional video game rules.
And now you just sound retarded. As expected of Tarkovsky user.
Nice relativism, m8.

I'm talking about a game being horrendously shallow and broken up in its world design and you're just waffling on about some psuedo-intellectual bullshit about how none of it matters because "muh subjective, emotional experience", as if Skyrim and Fallout 3 having any artistic merit and aren't anything more than just dumbed down AAA casual pieces of trash. You'd make a Polygon writer.

Hello Holla Forums

Well, that's the point. You take coherence in video game political system seriously like it's actually important in actually delivering experience.

TES has adequate lore to bring up the aesthetics.

They certainly have more artistic merit than other games.

Maybe if you played a game that focused on warring factions in its plot and actually reflected that in its gameplay and world design - like Morrowind or New Vegas - than you'd know why Skyrim's theme park design screams wasted potential, given it's storyline is focused on warring factions as well.
toppest of lels

Thank god for Tamriel Rebuilt.

That was more due to time constraints, also degenerates like you belong on a cross.

How does it feel to have your entire faction be fucked by a single brain tumor? For the record, no. The Legion route was never meant to be anything other than a evil route.

Yeah, but they were going to be evil like Immortan Joe and not evil like Notim Portant. The NCR's negatives were also somewhat soft-sold because of the lack of contrast and because the game was a technical shitheap.

Like I give a shit what a bunch of degenerate faggots think.

Your joking… plz tell me your joking;_;

pretty sure that's how we got 8E8ight C-han.

The answer is simple.

Not going to help you to set up your own Podesta Simulator though. That's the last one.

Todd Did nothing wrong it was all Pete Hines

Fallout 4 had a way bigger marketing campaign than anything
Shit was advertised everywhere

Why the fuck would you use steam when you can just Pirate the gamesfore free

To be fair that's a good thing

Because video games are seen as entertainment like movies or watching TV. Not some the competitive pissing contest you get on the internet. The average person wants to relax with something that nearly plays itself, don't have time to learn a game when you spend most of the day at work. It's not difficult to understand.

Because it's a AAA drop in and play with no trying game.
It's like watching a tv show with an interesting world except worse pacing but you can skip the filler and kill the characters you dont like(usually)