PC Gaming

Trying to build a gaming tower, how should I do it?
Pic completely unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/
pcworld.com/article/3147062/storage/start-hoarding-ssds-prices-are-expected-to-spike-as-supply-gets-tight.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pcpartpicker.com/

Establish your budget and find what's decent/ on sale/ compatible on Newegg or whatever site you prefer.

This user's dubs seem to indicate a good site, but I've never used it before.

Lika huge building where you have to beat videgames to go higher?

logicalincrements.com

Also why has he stopped updating

A tower is what you put the hardware in, silly. Don't bother with a gaymen PC. There's no decent game that requires above average hardware to run.

Ayy, did that ever continue updating? I dropped it at least a full year ago, back when updates were sporadic and used shit LQ scans.

It was pretty cute and made my boner go dokidoki.

Short question, how big is your budget? Alternatively, how good is your internet, do you have monthly caps or something?

Don't but Jewvidia

No updates since I last checked a couple of months ago on the usual manga sites. It's dead, user.

That's a shame.

Wait for now, new stuff is coming out soon. Worst that can happen is that the older stuff gets cheaper. Technically this always applies, but this time AMD are releasing a new CPU thingy. Worst that can happen is that Intel actually starts giving a shit and makes something better, or older processors get cheaper.

Anyway, just read these rules:
Tower is ATX. Get ATX things. Not BTX. Not MicroATX. Not MiniATX. You've got a fuckton of space, use it.
AMD processor = AMD compatible motherboard. Intel processor = Intel compatible motherboard. Check socket types to be sure they're compatible.
You can use an AMD or Nviida graphics card, it's not tied to your motherboard or processor
DDR3 is the old tech, DDR4 is the new one. You can't stick one type in the socket of the other type. Both are good enough, but just make sure your RAM matches your motherboard.
Don't go for brushed aluminium, it attracts smudges. Same goes for plastic windows. Any case will do. Aluminium is lighter, steel is stronger.
You don't need any more unless you're building something really really powerful. Bigger fans make less noise, and you want more air going in than going out.
Stock is good enough unless you're overclocking. If you don't want stock, look up the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo.
If you have to ask, no.
Fun to look at but no
Don't go cheap. Add up the power consumption, aka the number with the W next to it. Pick a power supply that supplies more than that.
Windows Server 2008 R2. 7 has telemetry backports, Server 2016 has telemetry, 10 is botnet. Ideally Linux but that doesn't belong on a gaming PC yet.
SSD = fast but small, HDD = slow but big. Don't get WD Green, they have a higher failure rate. 2.5 inch drives use less power but are otherwise the same. SSDs use less power and are more impact resistant.
pcpartpicker. Link is in the first reply. It gets you the best deals and tells you when you fuck up.
My good enough build involves an FX6350 processor, A R9 280X graphics card and 16GB DDR3 RAM. It plays everything just fine on a 1080p screen, and I only get some stuttering in more intensive games. Newer parts are out now, so don't just copy my build. The new equivalent to my PC would be whatever Zen turns out to be, with an RX 480 and 16GB DDR4 memory. You can do much better. Just don't do that fucking Yogscast PC thing and you're fine.

Get a good CPU and a great GPU, as that's the main bottleneck for vidya.

Just gas yourself, you're incapable of being taken seriously.

Install Gentoo, libreboot, and avoid all intel processors made past 2009 (botnet), and all amd processors made past 2013 (botnet).

Jewvidia shills leave

Get back to work Steve.

OK user, I'll say what you want to hear so that you don't get offended.
Linux is a great OS for gaming PCs, even though AMD and Nvidia are dragging their feet over driver support. With SuperTuxKart and GIMP, you'll have endless fun.

Tech illiterates don't deserve computers. Kill yourself.

fuck off nigger. You failed your trips.

If you support proprietary software feel free to put a bullet in the back of your head.

My gaming PC is the only one running Windows, and Windows Server at that. Everything I have that I use for work or data is running OpenSUSE and Debian.

Its ironic since between AMD, Intel, and Nvidia, Nvidia is the only one without an R&D center in Israel

Not to mention Intels CEO being a Trump supporting Turk

Why should anyone care about AMD and their chink CEO?

Jewvidia shills leave. Take your home heaters with you, we aren't buying any.

Whatever gets the job done. But go ahead and enjoy your nogaems and go on a software moral crusade, while I have fun.

Well, it is winter, faggot. Good luck freezing to death while my GPU keeps me nice and toasty, AMDfag

Will you freeze to death without it because your house burned down? Truly NVIDIA card ownership is a vicious cycle.

Built a fine machine nearly two years, waiting for every part to go on sale– took about 3 months total.

You should study logical increments and pcpartpicker until you understand what things are worth and historical values. If you are asking for advice about a potential build, always tell first what screen resolution you want to run and and how much you are willing to spend.
Some tips:
If you are using and plan to use for awhile a 1080p screen, best to build cheap- recommend a sub 600$us build not including the monitor and os.
Intel supports those with aims to ruin the gaming industry– buy used or AMD
Concerning cpus, zen is coming and that will affect all cpu prices.
Considering getting temporary cheap but decent cpu/mb/ram combo and replacing them down the road. A good power supply, case, gpu and ssd will migrate on upgrades.

Right now, I'd still build the same build I did two years ago or wait till zen comes out.

brand loyalty autism

Do your research. Look up youtube videos and product reviews on cases and parts that interest you, and make your own conclusions like a decent fucking consumer. gave good info, but please for the love of god don't use Windows Server as an OS. This will cause you undue frustration. Don't follow his ">what is good enough" section, that shit will give you buyers remorse within 10 minutes and subpar frame rates in anything released past 2015. Nothing wrong with the build itself, but the hardware is just dated.

My recommendation is that you look up a basic build guide. That will get you started on looking for the right parts and tools if you need em'. A few pointers: GET a SSD. That shit will make your PC boot up a warp 9, and make file transfers and load times better. (If you're gonna buy one, now is the time. Them shits will spike up soon. pcworld.com/article/3147062/storage/start-hoarding-ssds-prices-are-expected-to-spike-as-supply-gets-tight.html ) Graphics card prices at the moment are kinda beans. You don't need to spend more than 250 on one if you plan on playing at 1080p resolution from 60 to 120 fps (or Hz, hertz for short) . At the moment, AMD drivers are making their Graphics cards actually edge out against Nvidia by a few frames, but it all depends on the game. Do your research depending on the games you wanna play with the respective graphics card (as easy as googling or you tubing GTX10XX/Rx4XX).

If you'd like, I can recommend I build I did for about 700-800 bucks, that you could probably do for cheaper if there's still any sales about.

Why?
There's nothing worth playing that requires a "gaming tower".

what do you recommend then?

Stick to whatever you have now and play good games from 90-00s.

Get an iPad, in 4 years it's going to be the same shit anyway

I squeaked by picking out an FX-8320 processor bought secondhand on eBay for $100 and a Gigabyte RX 460 for $100-$120 (forget the exact pricing but it was in that ballpark). 8 GB DDR3 RAM and a hard-drive and DVD drive scavenged from my previous computer, all of that slapped into a $30 case on sale from $60-$80 with a Cooler Master fan on an M5A78L-M motherboard cost around $500. Runs everything I want it to at screen resolution with everything else on max with no hiccups, so with going from a junky prebuilt dated back to about 2010 to this, I'm happy as a clam.

probably gonna get a non cheap motherboard after christmas

lmao, this is why this board is dying.
Mark needs to step up his game.